Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1117435 times)

pasadenafr

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #3500 on: June 24, 2022, 07:20:51 AM »
Coworker told me today he doesn’t cook.  Well he will use the microwave.

Ah, that reminds me of a former coworker who once told me that in several years living (alone) in his apartment, he had never once used the dishwasher. He either ate take-out, or microwaved stuff and only ever used paper plates and paper napkins. He didn't even have regular plates. I don't remember if he had silverware or also only used disposable ones.

And no, he wasn't fresh out of college or anything. He was like 45 at the time.

We have been here for four years and never used the dishwasher. But it isn't for the same reasons: we just don't own enough dishes to fill it, so we end up doing dishes by hand. If we don't do it at the end of one meal, we usually need to do it to make the next meal. There are a few combos that let us get in extra meals, like DH likes to use a specific Tupperware for his salad or if one meal uses the sauce pan and frying pan and the next meal is baked in the oven and one of the meals uses bowls while the other uses plates...

Yes, that's different. In his case it's because he'd never had dishes to wash. So much waste, both literally, and financially.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3501 on: June 24, 2022, 11:34:40 AM »

Ah, see- my coworker takes to the next level and tries to argue that grocery shopping and cooking at home is just way too expensive compared to eating out. 

He also lives a half mile from work via some very nice sidewalks but still drives every day.   

In a brand new car.   

Then bitches about his student loan payments.

And of course sees no connection between those things. So sad.

vogon poetry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3502 on: June 24, 2022, 01:21:49 PM »

Ah, that reminds me of a former coworker who once told me that in several years living (alone) in his apartment, he had never once used the dishwasher. He either ate take-out, or microwaved stuff and only ever used paper plates and paper napkins. He didn't even have regular plates. I don't remember if he had silverware or also only used disposable ones.

When I was in college I was absolutely horrified when the guy I'd just started dating invited me over and all he had were paper plates. I doubt its him but this made me think of him.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3503 on: June 30, 2022, 10:35:35 AM »

We have been here for four years and never used the dishwasher. But it isn't for the same reasons: we just don't own enough dishes to fill it, so we end up doing dishes by hand. If we don't do it at the end of one meal, we usually need to do it to make the next meal. There are a few combos that let us get in extra meals, like DH likes to use a specific Tupperware for his salad or if one meal uses the sauce pan and frying pan and the next meal is baked in the oven and one of the meals uses bowls while the other uses plates...

Depending on your washing technique, this may be wasteful. Modern dishwashers are pretty darn efficient as I understand it.

This dishwasher isn't all that modern, but again, the issue is lack of dishes. We have several reasons for not wanting more and our water usage is well below average.

We hand-washed dishes for a few years; no kids, a dishwasher would take a couple of days to fill.
When we had our first kid, that dishwasher started seeing daily use.
And yes, our newer Bosch model is uses very little water for a very well bin-packed wash, compared to our 15+ years old GE model. Also, detergents are much better now.
But there's nothing as satisfying as using Dobie pad + Barkeeper's Friend to make a pot/pan nice and shiny.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3504 on: June 30, 2022, 10:50:40 AM »
heard from sysadmins talking about their plans to get hybrid/EVs are going to be cancelled because gas went down 10-15% from $5 (current $4.28-4.50 in my area). they're going to continue to drive their trucks (some have lifted) ~30 miles round trip daily, while continuing to bitch that they'd like to work from home a few days because of high gas prices.

meanwhile, their contract calls for onsite work, and they don't have the option to WFH. Also, they don't understand the telework agreement means WFH is an option based on approval for certain projects/tasks in the short-term, not on a regular scheduled basis. We're not gov civilians and don't have the flex to WFH like them, they're the customer and we're here to give them a good time while collecting pretty good paychecks.

these are the same chodes who made fun of me for buying my wife a hybrid a few months before COVID (gas prices were low and Honda couldn't sell the Insight on their lot, I got it for almost the same price as the Civic, same trim). And now that she's permanent WFH, it is my commuter car.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 10:55:23 AM by jinga nation »

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3505 on: June 30, 2022, 11:23:31 AM »
heard from sysadmins talking about their plans to get hybrid/EVs are going to be cancelled because gas went down 10-15% from $5 (current $4.28-4.50 in my area). they're going to continue to drive their trucks (some have lifted) ~30 miles round trip daily, while continuing to bitch that they'd like to work from home a few days because of high gas prices.

meanwhile, their contract calls for onsite work, and they don't have the option to WFH. Also, they don't understand the telework agreement means WFH is an option based on approval for certain projects/tasks in the short-term, not on a regular scheduled basis. We're not gov civilians and don't have the flex to WFH like them, they're the customer and we're here to give them a good time while collecting pretty good paychecks.

these are the same chodes who made fun of me for buying my wife a hybrid a few months before COVID (gas prices were low and Honda couldn't sell the Insight on their lot, I got it for almost the same price as the Civic, same trim). And now that she's permanent WFH, it is my commuter car.

And I bet they just can’t see the connection between their choices and their situation, or how slick your situation has worked out due to your choices.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3506 on: June 30, 2022, 01:25:01 PM »

And I bet they just can’t see the connection between their choices and their situation, or how slick your situation has worked out due to your choices.

You can buy a lot of gas for the price of a new EV. I would be reluctant to buy a new car in today's market. Of course I drive a Ford Focus and work from home and ride my bicycle around.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3507 on: June 30, 2022, 04:17:45 PM »
You can buy a lot of gas for the price of a new EV. I would be reluctant to buy a new car in today's market. Of course I drive a Ford Focus and work from home and ride my bicycle around.
A coworker of mine was attempting to convince me of the benefits of his new Tesla.  Sure, compared to a brand-new gasoline-driven car of similar purchase price, the Tesla makes sense, but compared to my 25-year-old, $1750 car, it falls flat.

Actually, out of curiosity, let's compare the $50k Tesla to a $25k 2022 Camry, which gets 28-39 MPG.  My coworker says he pays about $0.03/mile for electricity for his Tesla.  He does a lot of highway driving, so let's assume his average gas mileage in the Camry would be 37 MPG.  At current gas prices, the fuel cost for the Camry would be $0.15.  That $0.12/mi difference puts the break-even point at 200,000 miles (8 miles per dollar of gas saved, $25k price difference).  That, of course, ignores both the time value of money and the opportunity cost.

Wanna know how it gets even worse?  The Camry Hybrid gets about 50MPG, for a fuel cost of $0.11/mile, or a difference of $0.08/mile.  It costs $28k.  That puts the payback mileage at over 250,000 miles.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3508 on: June 30, 2022, 06:53:02 PM »
A coworker of mine was attempting to convince me of the benefits of his new Tesla.  Sure, compared to a brand-new gasoline-driven car of similar purchase price, the Tesla makes sense, but compared to my 25-year-old, $1750 car, it falls flat.

Actually, out of curiosity, let's compare the $50k Tesla to a $25k 2022 Camry, which gets 28-39 MPG.  My coworker says he pays about $0.03/mile for electricity for his Tesla.  He does a lot of highway driving, so let's assume his average gas mileage in the Camry would be 37 MPG.  At current gas prices, the fuel cost for the Camry would be $0.15.  That $0.12/mi difference puts the break-even point at 200,000 miles (8 miles per dollar of gas saved, $25k price difference).  That, of course, ignores both the time value of money and the opportunity cost.

Wanna know how it gets even worse?  The Camry Hybrid gets about 50MPG, for a fuel cost of $0.11/mile, or a difference of $0.08/mile.  It costs $28k.  That puts the payback mileage at over 250,000 miles.

Thanks for showing me this alternative calculation angle.
Camrys routinely get to 200,000 miles. What's the word on Tesla models, especially Model S?
I've read a few articles claiming Tesla's long-term reliability doesn't compare with Toyota.
(this is a genuine Q, not being sarcastic or trolling. I've only owned Toyotas and Hondas, all made to at least 150,000 miles/15 years before selling.)

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3509 on: June 30, 2022, 07:13:50 PM »

I agree, the math just doesn't work for an expensive care like a new Tesla.  If I were trying to argue a value proposition, I'd do it using a brand new $26,000 Chevy Bolt.  Or Nissan Leaf for $20-22,000 after rebate. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3510 on: June 30, 2022, 11:41:31 PM »
It’s been a while, but finally something to add here.  Coworker today mentioned he’ll be able to get a new phone soon, which surprised me because it looked like his phone was pretty new.  I asked him what phone he’s got and he said iPhone 12, but he gets a new phone every 2 years because he’s got a special phone plan. So, I’m like oh what does that cost?  $110(cdn)/month.  Ouch.  That’s $65/month more than I pay for the same unlimited plan, which means he’s paying over $1500 to rent a new phone every 2 years on top of the normal cost for the plan. 

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3511 on: July 01, 2022, 05:09:42 AM »

Well sure, but I meant the day they walked and bought their current vehicle. That choice is what put them in their current situation of complaining about costs.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #3512 on: July 05, 2022, 01:37:40 PM »
My coworker (65) told me he's retiring at the end of the year. He says he's got a little social security check and $25K saved up. Blue collar guy and currently makes $14 an hour; I don't think he's made much more than this in previous jobs. If he's still alive after a year, he "guesses he'll find another job." He's a pretty healthy guy so I don't think he has any terminal illness. It makes me sad because I do not know what his job prospects will be in a year at his age and he doesn't understand economics enough to know $25K isn't going to get him very far.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3513 on: July 07, 2022, 07:10:35 AM »
My coworker (65) told me he's retiring at the end of the year. He says he's got a little social security check and $25K saved up. Blue collar guy and currently makes $14 an hour; I don't think he's made much more than this in previous jobs. If he's still alive after a year, he "guesses he'll find another job." He's a pretty healthy guy so I don't think he has any terminal illness. It makes me sad because I do not know what his job prospects will be in a year at his age and he doesn't understand economics enough to know $25K isn't going to get him very far.

Ouch.  Every time I have a hard day at work and start to feel a bit down that I’m in my 30’s and probably not able to retire before 50, I remember that I work with people like this who are in their 60’s and can probably never retire, and suddenly I’m a lot more thankful of the position I’m in. 

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3514 on: July 07, 2022, 10:46:21 AM »
My coworker (65) told me he's retiring at the end of the year. He says he's got a little social security check and $25K saved up.

Ouch. Nobody told him that the payment goes up the longer you wait, apparently :/

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3515 on: July 07, 2022, 11:14:51 AM »

This is like my roommate who retired at 64 without the savings or even understanding what his monthly benefit would be. But he has enough money to pay his rent and walk to the store to by booze. He is generally easy to live with and just hangs out in his room watching TV most of the time. IDK, sounds fucking depressing to me but maybe he is living his best life.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #3516 on: July 07, 2022, 11:35:38 AM »
My coworker (65) told me he's retiring at the end of the year. He says he's got a little social security check and $25K saved up.

Ouch. Nobody told him that the payment goes up the longer you wait, apparently :/

He knew, but he started taking his social security at 62. He said, "in case I don't live much longer I might as well enjoy it"...face palm and here we are years later.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3517 on: July 07, 2022, 12:39:32 PM »

He knew, but he started taking his social security at 62. He said, "in case I don't live much longer I might as well enjoy it"...face palm and here we are years later.

What's the math on this?  I always read waiting is a good ROI but when I look at the implied rate it's not really that amazing (hardly a no brainer)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3518 on: July 07, 2022, 03:40:24 PM »

What's the math on this?  I always read waiting is a good ROI but when I look at the implied rate it's not really that amazing (hardly a no brainer)

Well, if you have the money to retire it is sort of a wash.

But if you don't have the money to retire and were born after Jan 1 1960 then you reduced your monthly benefits by 30% compared to your full retirement age.
https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/agereduction.html

Of course if you keep working past your full retirement age you get more benefits. Up to 24% more. That's the difference between $1240/mo and $700/mo if you were going to get $1000/mo at your full retirement age.
https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/1960-delay.html

But also your benefits are calculated based on your highest 35 earning years. So if you don't have 35 years (or you get to replace low earning years with high earning years) and you keep working you will be increasing your nominal full retirement benefit as well. This is only really helpful until you hit the second bend point (and super helpful if you haven't made it to the first bend point):
https://www.covisum.com/knowledge-base/what-are-social-security-bend-points

EDTIed to add that if you keep working for an additional eight years that is eight more years to save and for your savings to compound.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:57:33 PM by PDXTabs »

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3519 on: July 08, 2022, 11:38:49 AM »
Of course if you keep working past your full retirement age you get more benefits. Up to 24% more. That's the difference between $1240/mo and $700/mo if you were going to get $1000/mo at your full retirement age.
Yeah but that's 8 yrs of 700 bucks a month that you aren't getting, 62 to 70.  8 yrs x 12 mo x $700 is $67,200 of payments that you aren't getting. It would take over 10 yrs at the higher pay to make it up, so you'd be 80. You can't just look at what you'd get in say 5 yrs.  You have to look at what monthly checks you'd be missing for those  yrs.

ETA--there are whole threads on this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:40:41 AM by DeniseNJ »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3520 on: July 08, 2022, 01:52:43 PM »
Yeah but that's 8 yrs of 700 bucks a month that you aren't getting, 62 to 70.  8 yrs x 12 mo x $700 is $67,200 of payments that you aren't getting. It would take over 10 yrs at the higher pay to make it up, so you'd be 80. You can't just look at what you'd get in say 5 yrs.  You have to look at what monthly checks you'd be missing for those  yrs.

ETA--there are whole threads on this.

Yes, but those threads aren't about people that:
1. Could/would be earning more social security credits to increase their full nominal retirement amount.
2. Will be living in a tent and eating cat food if they don't keep working.

Otherwise I completely agree with the math and plan to take SS at 62. But I will be past the second bend point when I do and I won't be working.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 02:47:09 PM by PDXTabs »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3521 on: July 08, 2022, 05:46:46 PM »
You inspired me to look at my SS statement.  I hit 35 years of working this year, but in the 80's I only made $2,000+ of Social Security wages, and in most of the 90's less than $50,000.  So now, every year I continue working drives the average up because the first ten years of work were basically for zero dollars.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3522 on: July 08, 2022, 06:50:22 PM »
You inspired me to look at my SS statement.  I hit 35 years of working this year, but in the 80's I only made $2,000+ of Social Security wages, and in most of the 90's less than $50,000.  So now, every year I continue working drives the average up because the first ten years of work were basically for zero dollars.

I think you don't understand the calculation.   SS doesn't do the calculation of benefits based on your wages, it does so on the inflation-adjusted wages.   $2,000 in 1992 dollars is a lot more in 2022 dollars.   Somewhere on the SS website or a manual calculation form on it are the inflation multipliers to use for each year.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3523 on: July 08, 2022, 06:59:54 PM »
Another OT SS mention - if you're the lower earning spouse expecting to get 50% of the higher earning spouse's as your benefit, you have to wait for your full retirement age (67 for those born in 1960 or later) or your benefit is permanently reduced.

As the lower earner who's also older than my high earning spouse, I plan to claim mine at 67, but then I believe I have to wait a couple years until he files to claim the spousal benefit (which will be more than double mine).  It sure is complicated.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3524 on: July 08, 2022, 09:39:06 PM »
Gotcha. But $2000 across 1988, 89, and 90 isn’t a lot of income whether inflation adjusted or not.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3525 on: July 08, 2022, 11:38:11 PM »

I think you don't understand the calculation.   SS doesn't do the calculation of benefits based on your wages, it does so on the inflation-adjusted wages.   $2,000 in 1992 dollars is a lot more in 2022 dollars.   Somewhere on the SS website or a manual calculation form on it are the inflation multipliers to use for each year.

Are you past the second bend point? If you are it likely will make almost no difference.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3526 on: July 08, 2022, 11:44:57 PM »

Are you past the second bend point? If you are it likely will make almost no difference.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf Used to be a table and calculations for benefits. It is now a generic hand wave of a document.  If you can find an older version, then you can see how the inflation multiplier worked.

Here on page 3 (three), is a copy of the old version of EN-05-10070

http://chapters.onefpa.org/greaterindiana/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2017/02/Feb-2017-Qrtly-Boyd-Handout-Understanding-Social-Security.pdf
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:09:54 PM by markbike528CBX »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3527 on: July 11, 2022, 04:31:03 PM »
My favorite SS visualization tool is https://ssa.tools/

It lets me easily see things like how many years I have credits for, what years I have less than four credits for, and where I am in the bend points both now and when I plan to stop working in the USA.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3528 on: July 11, 2022, 08:07:24 PM »
My favorite SS visualization tool is https://ssa.tools/

It lets me easily see things like how many years I have credits for, what years I have less than four credits for, and where I am in the bend points both now and when I plan to stop working in the USA.
Thanks!  I had done the long hand calculation for a few folks, and this is far better.
Replacing a ZERO with a year of maximum contributions only nets $52/mo past the second breakpoint, which is the rough equivalent of having an extra $16k in you stache (assuming the 4% rule as an equivalent), which is kind of rounding error.  So work another year to pad your stache, but it really makes a miniscule difference to your SS check.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3529 on: July 26, 2022, 04:40:02 PM »
TIL at work that there is an even more expensive super cooling/heating travel coffee mug with a handle that costs $100 and has a waiting list. To be clear, they cost about $20 on their website, but you can buy them from resellers on the web for $100 if you just cannot wait to be parted from your money.

https://www.stanley1913.com/products/adventure-quencher-travel-tumbler-40-oz

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3530 on: July 27, 2022, 07:21:53 AM »
TIL at work that there is an even more expensive super cooling/heating travel coffee mug with a handle that costs $100 and has a waiting list. To be clear, they cost about $20 on their website, but you can buy them from resellers on the web for $100 if you just cannot wait to be parted from your money.

Sounds like a good business opportunity. It shows as 40 dollar though.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3531 on: July 27, 2022, 07:36:43 AM »
Talking with a coworker yesterday about how he is deciding if to get a new van or not.  He has like 5 kids plus him and his wife so has a ligit use for a big van but he was saying that buying a new one would save him 2k$ per year in gas.  I replied that that alone would buy two of the ebikes commute with most days a week.  He is moderately money smart but there is only so far you can go with a family that big.  I think he has looked at smaller commuter cars and his wife that drives further uses one but he takes the kids to day care, and the both make enough to be worth working. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3532 on: July 27, 2022, 10:48:15 AM »
Talking with a coworker yesterday about how he is deciding if to get a new van or not.  He has like 5 kids plus him and his wife so has a ligit use for a big van but he was saying that buying a new one would save him 2k$ per year in gas.  I replied that that alone would buy two of the ebikes commute with most days a week.  He is moderately money smart but there is only so far you can go with a family that big.  I think he has looked at smaller commuter cars and his wife that drives further uses one but he takes the kids to day care, and the both make enough to be worth working.

https://www.canoo.com/

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3533 on: July 27, 2022, 09:27:18 PM »

Sounds like a good business opportunity. It shows as 40 dollar though.

Yup, most of the prices are ridiculous and most of the styles are sold out. Hence the $100 price on Amazon on similar

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3534 on: July 28, 2022, 10:50:20 AM »

Oh no I might actually buy this.  Stupid MMM forums giving me ideas for spending money

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3535 on: July 28, 2022, 11:40:16 AM »

Only seats 7, too small for us (6 kids).

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3536 on: July 29, 2022, 01:26:40 PM »
Was he talking about a Toyota Sienna, which is hybrid-only?  It's about time Toyota came out with a hybrid minivan.  It's too bad they came out with such an awful one, though.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3537 on: July 29, 2022, 01:40:17 PM »
I despair of the design of the Toyota Sienna. If I wanted a child-killing front blind spot in the style of SUVs, I would buy an SUV.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3538 on: July 29, 2022, 02:03:21 PM »
Was he talking about a Toyota Sienna, which is hybrid-only?  It's about time Toyota came out with a hybrid minivan.  It's too bad they came out with such an awful one, though.

Dont recall which van he was talking about.  Will see if I see a new Sienna in the parking lot soon.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3539 on: July 31, 2022, 06:45:48 PM »

What’s a good option?  I know Chrysler has a plug in hybrid but I don’t expect that to last two decades like my accord.  The odyssey doesn’t even have a hybrid option though

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3540 on: July 31, 2022, 06:56:42 PM »
What’s a good option?  I know Chrysler has a plug in hybrid but I don’t expect that to last two decades like my accord.  The odyssey doesn’t even have a hybrid option though
Well, that's my frustration.  I'd be quite happy with a hybrid version of a 3rd-gen (2006-2010) Odyssey--all the practicality, utility, and reliability of that generation (and lack of froo-froo electronics), plus the efficiency of the hybrid drivetrain.  But even Honda has joined all the other automakers in encrusting vehicles with tens of thousands of dollars of sensors and cameras and electronics in the more recent generations..

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3541 on: August 18, 2022, 09:24:27 AM »
What do you do with co-workers who always want to ask you about money stuff, but never actually consider your advice?  I have a co-worker, who thankfully I don't have to interact with on a daily basis, that always wants to talk about the stock market.  She's mostly gambling on individual stocks without knowing much about them other than what the talking heads on TV tell her.  For example, she told me the other day that her Microsoft Teams stock was doing well.  I don't look at individual stocks a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure that's not actually a thing.  I think she's talking about TEAM (Atlassian), but definitely specified that it's not MSFT.  I've recommended A Simple Path to Wealth several times, but it goes in one ear and out the other because she's excited about the latest hot tip she's gotten. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3542 on: August 18, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »
What do you do with co-workers who always want to ask you about money stuff, but never actually consider your advice?  I have a co-worker, who thankfully I don't have to interact with on a daily basis, that always wants to talk about the stock market.  She's mostly gambling on individual stocks without knowing much about them other than what the talking heads on TV tell her.  For example, she told me the other day that her Microsoft Teams stock was doing well.  I don't look at individual stocks a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure that's not actually a thing.  I think she's talking about TEAM (Atlassian), but definitely specified that it's not MSFT.  I've recommended A Simple Path to Wealth several times, but it goes in one ear and out the other because she's excited about the latest hot tip she's gotten.

Same thing I do with folks who want to tell me how their sports team is doing: smile, nod, maybe mutter congratulations.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3543 on: August 18, 2022, 09:49:39 AM »

Same thing I do with folks who want to tell me how their sports team is doing: smile, nod, maybe mutter congratulations.

Yup, exactly. These kinds of people don't actually want advice (even if they frame it that way). They just want to socialize and feel validated.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3544 on: August 18, 2022, 09:51:03 AM »

This was my dad. I simply say that I don't invest in individual stocks, only indexed mutual funds. Then I don't engage about it, which makes it no fun for them. ;)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3545 on: August 18, 2022, 10:55:51 AM »
Look a stock up that doubled (or more) recently and tell your coworker you bought it and sold it with this big profit, and all you needed to do was putting in a random ISIN.

If coworker asks how you know that it would do that, answer: The same way as your advisors, they didn't.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3546 on: August 18, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »

I tell them I use index funds. Tell them to go research and come back with more Qs to help further. They don't come back.

TBH, most of these loudmouths are buying these "trending" stocks because FOMO YOLO syndrome, ZERO logical thinking, or reading any book from the Bogleheads recommended lists.

Don't invest anything in loudmouths, zero ROI.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3547 on: August 18, 2022, 12:07:38 PM »

That's exactly how I manage with all my coworkers who are deeply into crypto and meme stock.

I don't really mention to anyone I'm investing but I'm sure if I did they'd think I was crazy for investing in index funds in central-bank-controlled Euro's. These people expect collapse of the entire financial system tomorrow.

Well, if the whole financial system and capitalism collapse, the value of my index funds isn't going to be the biggest worry. Looking back we came pretty close to the whole Eurozone and financial system collapsing a decade ago and no one really remembers that. I am absolutely aware and possibly more knowledgable than them about everything that could go wrong, but if it all does collapse, does your crypto isn't going to save you.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3548 on: August 18, 2022, 12:16:40 PM »
@Imma I'm curious if any of your coworkers invested in one of the crypto Ponzi schemes that have been in the news lately (Terra, Celsius, etc) and if they've talked about any losses.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3549 on: August 18, 2022, 12:46:41 PM »
@Imma I'm curious if any of your coworkers invested in one of the crypto Ponzi schemes that have been in the news lately (Terra, Celsius, etc) and if they've talked about any losses.

I actually don't pay attention to the details because I'm so annoyed inside but trying to act appropriately on the outside, but they all talk about their massive gains all the time. Not sure why any of them are still working  .... ;-).