Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 719189 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #3050 on: April 30, 2021, 10:05:02 AM »
"I don't want to continue this debate about covid in a thread that has nothing to do with covid, but I'm going to do it anyway, because I have to have the last word."

Y'all just let it go.

Iím just letting people know I wonít respond here further on that topic - in fact Dee_ has had the last public word and Iím happy to listen and respond to all opinions through PM.  Thus, Iím not stopping the conversation, just suggesting we move it elsewhere because there was already a complaint about off topic discussion.  Seems only polite to me, and I suggest this is how all such off topic issues are handled here.

I didnít originally realize what thread this was when I responded to the first post about Covid
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:07:17 AM by dragoncar »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3051 on: May 01, 2021, 01:16:00 AM »
No kidding, blech.  We have been eating out once/ week because of COVID (getting takeout)

I donít follow this logic.  What about Covid makes you eat out more often?

Iíve eaten out far less during Covid because itís such a pain in the ass to disinfect (I reheat everything to 165).  I am aware that thereís ďno evidenceĒ for food borne Covid spread, but I also donít know what studies have been done to prove/disprove the hypothesis.  Whenever I see that thereís ďno evidenceĒ for something I ask what evidence might be Availabe.  For example, has someone innoculated food with Covid and fed it to 100 monkeys?  No.  Has someone done intense contact tracing of an unmasked symptomatic line cook to see if any of their customers has contracted Covid?  Maybe?  I havenít seen that study.  Iím willing to accept that itís an unlikely avenue for transmission but also know that restaurant back of house is and has always been filthy so I donít really trust those guys to take any precautions unless Iíve personally visited the kitchen

You know what the funny thing is? My immune system is compromised. I get sick all the time. Everything makes me sick, going to parties, meeting kids, going to work, taking public transit, visiting dinner parties.

I know what restaurant kitchens often look like. But the one place where I've never contracted food poisoning is a restaurant, take-out or dine-in. I've given myself food poisoning, other people have given me food poisoning with their home-cooking, but somehow I've either been lucky or restaurant chefs are more aware of hygiene than people would think.

I have no idea about how Covid is contracted so I'm definitely not going to discuss that. I don't reheat my restaurant food but if you feel that's something you need to do, please do it. Better safe than sorry.

I share your concern about gastro-intestinal Covid. A family member stared having gastro symptoms in late Feb/early March 2020 and turned out to have Covid. It wasn't until 10 days later when they were hospitalised that they found out about the Covid (because of a routine test) because they were only having classic stomach bug symptoms and not lung symptoms. By then my family member already had symptomless severe pneumonia in both lungs. Coughing only started another week later right before death. Another family member that helped washing sheets and clothing when my sick relative had accidents got very sick with Covid too. It's impossible to prove how they got infected but my sick family member was not coughing at that point.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3052 on: May 02, 2021, 01:31:05 AM »

I know what restaurant kitchens often look like. But the one place where I've never contracted food poisoning is a restaurant, take-out or dine-in.

Guess you've never eaten the chili at wendys (literally gave me food poisoning thrice before I stopped going there -- the final time I was admitted to the hospital for fluids.  I was young and stupid and would eat wendy's on the way home from WORK)  Never given myself food poisoning and I'm usually a "leave it out on the counter all day" kinda guy.  I tend to overcook my food though, so don't ask me to make you a medium rare hamburder without signing a waiver

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3053 on: May 02, 2021, 04:33:37 AM »

I know what restaurant kitchens often look like. But the one place where I've never contracted food poisoning is a restaurant, take-out or dine-in.

Guess you've never eaten the chili at wendys (literally gave me food poisoning thrice before I stopped going there -- the final time I was admitted to the hospital for fluids.  I was young and stupid and would eat wendy's on the way home from WORK)  Never given myself food poisoning and I'm usually a "leave it out on the counter all day" kinda guy.  I tend to overcook my food though, so don't ask me to make you a medium rare hamburder without signing a waiver

We don't have Wendy's in my country, so maybe that's why! And I'm careful with the type of food I order.  I'm not a big meat eater but I'd maybe order a medium rare steak at a fancy restaurant, but when I'm at an outdoors music festival I'll stick to the French fries and use a hand sanitizer before I eat and after I've touched basically anything. Funny, when I'm abroad and I'm not sure what I can eat and what I can't, I tend to stick to American restaurant chains like Subway and the big yellow M. They have pretty strict hygiene standards and their standards are the same around the world, and both have open kitchens so you can see what's going on. Apparantly Wendy's isn't like that?

The story why we don't have Wendy's in the EU is actually an epic FU money kind of story: https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/wendys-locations-europe-netherlands-goes-restaurant  The guy could have accepted a ton of cash but he decided he'd rather have his restaurant.

I remember being in a small town in a central European country on a summer day and the temperature was over 40C. I wanted to grab lunch but properly stored food was nowhere to be found - I'm not going to eat a pre-prepared sandwich from an uncooled display at a bakery with an indoors temperature of over 30C. I don't think I've ever been happier to see a big yellow M in the distance. I'd much rather eat at the local bakery but I'm not going to risk it under these circumstances.  I've only ended up in hospital with food poisoning once (salmonella) and fortunately I didn't cook that dinner! But I think I gave myself food poisoning twice before I figured out my freezer wasn't working properly anymore.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3054 on: May 02, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »
The story why we don't have Wendy's in the EU is actually an epic FU money kind of story: https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/wendys-locations-europe-netherlands-goes-restaurant  The guy could have accepted a ton of cash but he decided he'd rather have his restaurant.

That's interesting! I remember going to Wendy's in Cork, Ireland. It was the first fast food restaurant I'd even been to, so it must have been the mid-'70s. I remember McDonald's opening in Dublin in May 1977, and the lines were out the door for months. Wendy's had been around for a while at that point, but the Cork city location was the only one, as far as I know.

gooki

• Handlebar Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3055 on: May 04, 2021, 03:52:24 AM »
Funny, when I'm abroad and I'm not sure what I can eat and what I can't, I tend to stick to American restaurant chains like Subway and the big yellow M.

FWIW I got the worst ever food poisoning from Subway. Had to go to a after hours doc, was folded over in pain. I was on the verge of calling an ambulance to get to ER. Never ever am I having subway meatballs again. The fuckers must have been sitting in the warmer all week festering. Perfect temperature for bacteria to grow.

Sorry to hear you're missing out on awesome international cuisine.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:55:20 AM by gooki »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3056 on: May 04, 2021, 06:17:53 AM »
Funny, when I'm abroad and I'm not sure what I can eat and what I can't, I tend to stick to American restaurant chains like Subway and the big yellow M.

FWIW I got the worst ever food poisoning from Subway. Had to go to a after hours doc, was folded over in pain. I was on the verge of calling an ambulance to get to ER. Never ever am I having subway meatballs again. The fuckers must have been sitting in the warmer all week festering. Perfect temperature for bacteria to grow.

Sorry to hear you're missing out on awesome international cuisine.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know what that feels like :( Don't they normally have signs on every ingredient that shows when it was put in the sandwich bar and when it's supposed to be tossed out? In here they also make a point of making the staff wear gloves and showing they get discarded right in front of the customer? That's what I like about them. I'm not a very massive fan of the food itself. If it wasn't for the rigid safety procedures I wouldn't visit them.

I am naturally a fairly adventurous eater, and I really do try to eat local foods as much as possible, but it very much depends on the country and the season. In the UK and Scandinavia it's much less common to leave foods at room temperature in summer than in some places in Central Europe, for example, so I feel much more comfortable getting lunch from a small independent business.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3057 on: May 04, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know what that feels like :( Don't they normally have signs on every ingredient that shows when it was put in the sandwich bar and when it's supposed to be tossed out?

I am convinced this problem owes a lot to our crappy franchise arrangements.  Franchises like McDonaldís and subway set standards like that.  But there are a lot of flailing locations that are basically run by the local owner who either directly works there or micromanaged his staff.  And he has a personal profit motive to save every penny (corporations have profit motive but they donít see you taking an extra packet of sauce as taking food out of their kids mouths).  Iíve heard stories of owners just changing the expiration dates, for example, so as not to throw out product.  Iíve personally seen the intense penny pinching with napkin counting.  This is far more likely to happen at a smaller location where the owner has only one franchise.  The larger more visible locations are often corporate run (eg airport international).  Not every chain is a franchise either.  I tend to like corporate own location better as they better recognize the liabilities involved in food safety (which is why they made those policies to begin with).  If there are a lot of impromptu signs around the store, it makes me very wary (2 napkin limit, one sauce per 6 nuggets, one refill per visit, etc) because that level of penny pinching inevitably means cut corners on food safety

Now if your location is busy, you probably wonít see an issue with expired product because itís constantly getting used up.  Unless itís something that people donít order often (eg chili) that sits there all day and is supposed to get changed out but for some reason isnít

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3058 on: May 04, 2021, 12:29:28 PM »

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know what that feels like :( Don't they normally have signs on every ingredient that shows when it was put in the sandwich bar and when it's supposed to be tossed out?

I am convinced this problem owes a lot to our crappy franchise arrangements.  Franchises like McDonaldís and subway set standards like that.  But there are a lot of flailing locations that are basically run by the local owner who either directly works there or micromanaged his staff.  And he has a personal profit motive to save every penny (corporations have profit motive but they donít see you taking an extra packet of sauce as taking food out of their kids mouths).  Iíve heard stories of owners just changing the expiration dates, for example, so as not to throw out product.  Iíve personally seen the intense penny pinching with napkin counting.  This is far more likely to happen at a smaller location where the owner has only one franchise.  The larger more visible locations are often corporate run (eg airport international).  Not every chain is a franchise either.  I tend to like corporate own location better as they better recognize the liabilities involved in food safety (which is why they made those policies to begin with).  If there are a lot of impromptu signs around the store, it makes me very wary (2 napkin limit, one sauce per 6 nuggets, one refill per visit, etc) because that level of penny pinching inevitably means cut corners on food safety

Now if your location is busy, you probably wonít see an issue with expired product because itís constantly getting used up.  Unless itís something that people donít order often (eg chili) that sits there all day and is supposed to get changed out but for some reason isnít

Subway is also one of the worst franchises for profit margins. There's not a lot of space between individual locations and most people need two to three locations and to be an owner/operator to earn enough of a profit to live on. There's more incentive to cut corners in an operation like that, which is why so many ingredients are consistently unavailable, why the vegetables tend to look wilted and awful, and why the "tuna salad" is mostly mayonnaise.

Scotts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3059 on: Today at 05:12:30 PM »

I agree on you being wary of locations penny-pinching. My memory of one Subway in particular was that they were only including one napkin with the order - I asked for more. And with that restaurant being so common that was also the last time I went to that location. As you alluded to, if they are cutting corners one the things you can see, where might they be cutting where you cannot see?