Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1117210 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2900 on: December 13, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
Yes, choosing to travel internationally is a personal choice, and in these times, travellers have to be fully aware of the consequences: COVID test and quarantine requirements for the points of origin, transit and destination.

It can be a landmine, especially because the rules can change quickly and on short notice. If you go on holiday and your home country closes its borders, and begins to strictly limit the number of travellers who can return, you could be stranded abroad for months. This is happening right now in Australia. When the UK announced a couple of months ago that it would begin requiring quarantine for travellers returning from certain countries, it caught a lot of UK citizens abroad by surprise. Many cut short their overseas travel to make it back home before the quarantine rules took effect.

Also, filing for leave still requires company approval. If you have enough leave credits to cover both the holiday and the quarantine, great! Go on holiday wherever you want and don't show up at the office until quarantine's done.

Otherwise, the employer can require unpaid leave to bridge the gap. Others may simply not grant the leave request at all. Depending on how much they need their employees on site, any kind of voluntary international travel may just be far too risky.

Of course, all of it is extra motivation to FIRE as quickly as possible so that no employer can tell you what to do with your time, and you can travel and quarantine as much as you like without needing to worry about a job.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 05:16:47 PM by Adventine »

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2901 on: December 13, 2020, 08:30:03 PM »
Folks in my office have been requesting to telework after traveling or vacationing to states that require quarantine.  It hasn't been denied yet.  But if they can telework, why deny the request?  Some people needed to moved their college aged children into college and then pick them up in another state.  Others are helping an immediate family member move to another state for a job.  And some are going on a vacation that was planned before March 2020. It's all "voluntary." But now you lose your job because you are causing yourself to be quarantined "on purpose"?

Where do you draw the line? People seem to be drawing a moral line.  What if you are a person of color and you don't want your brother to drive across the country alone to start a new (very necessary) job because you are legitimately worried about his safety?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2902 on: December 14, 2020, 12:21:27 AM »
Folks in my office have been requesting to telework after traveling or vacationing to states that require quarantine.  It hasn't been denied yet.  But if they can telework, why deny the request?  Some people needed to moved their college aged children into college and then pick them up in another state.  Others are helping an immediate family member move to another state for a job.  And some are going on a vacation that was planned before March 2020. It's all "voluntary." But now you lose your job because you are causing yourself to be quarantined "on purpose"?

Where do you draw the line? People seem to be drawing a moral line.  What if you are a person of color and you don't want your brother to drive across the country alone to start a new (very necessary) job because you are legitimately worried about his safety?

If they can telework, they shouldn't be in the office in the first place. And of course there's no issue in that case if people are quarantained. They are still working so an employer doesn't have a right to fire them in my country.

Yes, there is a moral line and exactly where that lies is up to a judge. Travelling to an area that requires quarantaine for a holiday is definitely over the line in my country. That's clear. But for a funeral or another emergency? I can imagine that would be a valid reason. There are no safety risks to travelling across the country where I live so that wouldn't be applicable.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2903 on: December 14, 2020, 12:48:25 AM »

If they can telework, they shouldn't be in the office in the first place. And of course there's no issue in that case if people are quarantained. They are still working so an employer doesn't have a right to fire them in my country.

Yes, there is a moral line and exactly where that lies is up to a judge. Travelling to an area that requires quarantaine for a holiday is definitely over the line in my country. That's clear. But for a funeral or another emergency? I can imagine that would be a valid reason. There are no safety risks to travelling across the country where I live so that wouldn't be applicable.

Correct, everyone's situation is different. if you can telework while in quarantine, go ahead.

But if you already know that the nature of your job requires you to show up physically to the office, and then you decide to travel anyway for a holiday (not for an emergency or other urgent reason) and you know in advance that you'll have to quarantine after, then that's intentional. Depending on the nature of the work and the business needs, some companies simply will not allow it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2904 on: December 15, 2020, 07:41:51 AM »
Listened to a watercooler discussion about guns and ammo. Hard to get ammo these days b/c demand is so high. $1+ per bullet depending.

Hm. Is there a good marketplace for selling personal quantities of ammo? I've got some I'm not going to use anytime soon.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2905 on: December 15, 2020, 07:55:00 AM »
Listened to a watercooler discussion about guns and ammo. Hard to get ammo these days b/c demand is so high. $1+ per bullet depending.

Hm. Is there a good marketplace for selling personal quantities of ammo? I've got some I'm not going to use anytime soon.

There's no shortage of gun fetishists who have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2906 on: December 15, 2020, 08:18:50 AM »

There's no shortage of gun fetishists who have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo.

Yes.

I don't really know where I would go to have them make me an offer ;)

Especially since I'm going to want to do it no contact.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2907 on: December 15, 2020, 08:36:43 AM »

Around here FB isn't too interested in enforcing their ban on it.  I'm constantly seeing people selling "plastic bags" (that are full of ammo).

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2908 on: December 15, 2020, 08:54:06 AM »
Our company has banned us from traveling anywhere this Christmas holiday. We are required to stay in the city to avoid having to undergo a two week quarantine upon our return (thereby delaying our return to work since our holiday is only two weeks long).
Is there a "industrialized" country where this sort of thing is still legal? Or are you in Bangladesh?

We have this going on at my place of work, at least for the critical workers (the ones not eligible for raises, bonuses, or promotion). This is in the United States.

The critical workers have to work elbow to elbow, so we make sure to not do anything outside work that would expose us to the virus. It's a 24x7 lifestyle change. But it's also backed up by management. If we have the audacity to host family who drive in from out of town, or to drive off for a weekend in the mountains, or to take vacation or personal time in which we cross paths with people outside our household, we're quarantined at our own expense for up to twice the period of time recommended by the CDC. The same standards do not apply to the work-from-home clique.

For the work-from-home clique, whose work we kind of have to cover because telecommuting precludes any kind of hands-on activity, the rules are different. They have the option of traveling. Management will arrange exemptions to quarantine for them, and find work they can do from home. There are probably raises and promotions available for this set too because they are Designated Winners. But the grunts who make everything roll (and who take a great deal of physical risk to do it) have an entirely different (and much higher) set of standards. We, the Designated Losers, are the ones working extremely long hours under physically unsafe conditions. We are not permitted to slip schedule or scale down our operations, and when we get close to meeting a milestone management requires us to move offices or otherwise expose ourselves to more people, more buildings, and more physical risks.

The especially horrific thing is that management is planning for us to get sick. The extra red tape they are applying, and the extra work they are imposing on the onsite personnel, has consequences. Every additional building we go into, and every addition person we are required to cross paths with, increases our risk especially when the high standards applied to us don't apply to the people with whom we cross paths. Sooner or later, the clique permitted to do personal travel out of state and to go to multiple Hallowe'en parties (while the rest of us weren't even allowed to hand out candy) will catch the virus and bring it in to infect us.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2909 on: December 15, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
And people wonder why there are so many workplace shootings in the USA?

Remember not to shoot the other grunts.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2910 on: December 15, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »

Interesting anecdote:

A guy got fired from the place I work for bringing a gun into work. He was able to collect unemployment.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2911 on: December 15, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »

My crew and I would walk through fire for each other. I'd take a bullet to protect any of them and not count it as a loss. They would do the same for me. That's why we've been able to keep the virus away this whole time. None of us is willing to be the one who endangers the rest.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2912 on: December 15, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
@TheGrimSqueaker hey Grim, what kind of industry do you work in? I'm having a hard time imagining you putting up with that kind of management. I assume you have good reasons to work there, that outweigh all the negatives?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2913 on: December 16, 2020, 01:17:59 AM »
@TheGrimSqueaker hey Grim, what kind of industry do you work in? I'm having a hard time imagining you putting up with that kind of management. I assume you have good reasons to work there, that outweigh all the negatives?

Fireproof shoes and bulletproof vests, inc.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2914 on: December 16, 2020, 01:47:01 AM »

Fireproof shoes and bulletproof vests, inc.

It's high time this forum had a Like feature, to appreciate posts like this.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2915 on: December 16, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »

A special kind of government contractor. Basically I get paid reasonably well to do what would usually be horrible, destructive things in a legally sanctioned, physically contained, and socially acceptable way. Further details are unprintable. What we do isn't nice, but I get an unbelievable thrill out of it. I'm also surrounded by hardcore badasses. In sweatshop conditions, sure, but I suppose there are tradeoffs everywhere.

What's in it for me? Well, there's the entertainment value. I still can't believe I get paid for this; the only things that would be better would be hunting terrorists or fronting a band. Also, I got into it early enough to qualify for a pension in a few years, which means FIRE.

But yeah, most of us do kind of fantasize about catching certain members of upper management in a dark alley.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2916 on: December 16, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
Now that does sound more like somewhere we'd find you!

If you have any (non-confidential) war stories from that workplace, do let us know.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2917 on: December 16, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »

If you have any (non-confidential) war stories from that workplace, do let us know.

Any Dilbert cartoon.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2918 on: December 16, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »

Any Dilbert cartoon.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2919 on: December 16, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »

Any Dilbert cartoon.

I used to be super into Dilbert cartoons. I should get back into the habit.

Your description of your workplace combined with your forum profile pic reminded me suddenly of the Bangkok rubber duck protests. Who knows, management pushes you far enough, you may stage something similar.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2920 on: December 17, 2020, 04:56:44 AM »

Any Dilbert cartoon.

I used to be super into Dilbert cartoons. I should get back into the habit.

Your description of your workplace combined with your forum profile pic reminded me suddenly of the Bangkok rubber duck protests. Who knows, management pushes you far enough, you may stage something similar.
I totally missed that.

As a leader, seeing people with silly looking clothing etc. to protests is always the worst. It means they are really determined.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2921 on: December 18, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »

None of this invective is directed at you, but there's been a development.

One of the fuck weasel cunt bunnies who has access to our work area because management required us to give them the pass code, whom we have been trying to keep out but who keeps gallivanting back in, has just had a visit from the Covid fairy. This wouldn't have been a problem ordinarily because I don't care that that no-load motherfucker's idiot ass is down sick. It makes everyone else's job easier. What really rubs my clitoris with razor blades is that two of my men now are quarantined due to a work related exposure from having interacted with the moron. Shit, damn, and I tabernacle myself of all of this.

Management fucking did this to us. We BEGGED them to keep personnel with no need for access out of our work area. Instead of telling the gallivanters to fuck off, they made some of us commute to different offices while still performing our in-person work, thereby increasing the number of possible exposures. And to dodge the head count limits in the conference rooms, the titheads started having multiple group meetings in our lab. We warned the ass gobbling pricks. We fucking WARNED them.

After all the work and sacrifices to keep 24x7 protocols in place to keep from bringing the virus in, it is about to all come tumbling down because one analist shit-for-brains who didn't need access to our work area wouldn't fuck the hell off while we were getting important things done. This dick-headed twat-hammer who failed to get down with the 24x7 mission oriented protocol, and the galactic turbo douches who refused to back us up, should all be charged with treason. Every single smeg-faced git who fucked up ought to lose a job over this but they will probably be promoted instead.

Master of None

• Bristles
« Reply #2922 on: December 18, 2020, 02:51:49 PM »

One of the fuck weasel cunt bunnies who has access to our work area because management required us to give them the pass code, whom we have been trying to keep out but who keeps gallivanting back in, has just had a visit from the Covid fairy. This wouldn't have been a problem ordinarily because I don't care that that no-load motherfucker's idiot ass is down sick. It makes everyone else's job easier. What really rubs my clitoris with razor blades is that two of my men now are quarantined due to a work related exposure from having interacted with the moron. Shit, damn, and I tabernacle myself of all of this.

Management fucking did this to us. We BEGGED them to keep personnel with no need for access out of our work area. Instead of telling the gallivanters to fuck off, they made some of us commute to different offices while still performing our in-person work, thereby increasing the number of possible exposures. And to dodge the head count limits in the conference rooms, the titheads started having multiple group meetings in our lab. We warned the ass gobbling pricks. We fucking WARNED them.

After all the work and sacrifices to keep 24x7 protocols in place to keep from bringing the virus in, it is about to all come tumbling down because one analist shit-for-brains who didn't need access to our work area wouldn't fuck the hell off while we were getting important things done. This dick-headed twat-hammer who failed to get down with the 24x7 mission oriented protocol, and the galactic turbo douches who refused to back us up, should all be charged with treason. Every single smeg-faced git who fucked up ought to lose a job over this but they will probably be promoted instead.

I am terribly sorry this has happened to you, but I must say they way you string together obscenities has touched me in ways nothing has before. For that, I thank you. That is all.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2923 on: December 18, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »

[Management incompetence described with highly amusing and creative profanity]

Rubber duck revolution time, @TheGrimSqueaker

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2924 on: December 18, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »
Of course those responsible will promote one another -- otherwise someone would have to admit they screwed up -- and that's never on the table.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2925 on: December 18, 2020, 06:36:07 PM »
Now I know why the squeaker is so grim

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2926 on: December 20, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
I was talking to a pair of coworkers the other week. I adore them both, and while we were talking about income inequality and damaging social conventions, I was down with the conversation. Then one of them said that the American dream is dead, the other agreed, and I was so flabbergasted that I couldn't think of anything to say.

Of the three of us, two have Master's degrees. The other is thinking about getting a Master's, and we work for an organization that will help with at least part of the cost. One of them has moved up through the ranks of the organization and is now Asst. Director of our department. I was able to leave a toxic job and work part time for a while. All three of us have paychecks that are as steady as you can get right now, healthcare, and retirement. Granted, the paychecks aren't super duper high, but they're not terrible. I was able to start a couple of side gigs and put that money aside, and I know both these women have some in-demand skills they could monetize.

All three of us are living the American dream, so it struck me as odd they would think it was dead.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2927 on: December 20, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »
@Warlord1986 , that's a very fashionable belief amongst many of my fellow liberals.   It's utter rubbish.

Now, where they are right is that for some folks in some situations, it's a hell of a lot harder to make that dream work, and as a society we need to fix that.

But for regular middle class folks with steady jobs, who aren't subjected to catastrophic medical or legal woes, we know that the American dream is alive and well.   Your friends don't.   

Did you tell them about FIRE?   Don't expect any changes from them, it's easier to blame "the system" or "them" than it is to change one's own behavior.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2928 on: December 20, 2020, 02:22:24 PM »
I have mentioned frugal living and the importance of saving money. It is usually drowned out by the importance of subscribing to every streaming service under the sun, eating out, and clothing box subscriptions. One coworker and I had a conversation about batch cooking, which relieves the desire to get take out after long days at work. However, he belongs to a religious/ethnic minority that has been historically derided for practicing money management, so I'm cautious about mentioning the subject to him.

I've been a bit more open about to the Dept. Director, and I've gotten some hints that he appreciates good financial management.

However, I do have a friend who is working two jobs, trying to rebuild her emergency fund, and pay down debt. I've been a little bit more open about it with her. I try to mention the things I think she's doing really well in (rebuilding the emergency fund, ditching the spendy-jerk boyfriend), and encourage her to put money aside and be more disciplined about spending. I just gifted her some old jars for storing chopped veggies in for later cooking, and she seemed to really appreciate that. Hopefully that will stick.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2929 on: December 20, 2020, 05:49:36 PM »
@Warlord1986 @SwordGuy I'm not an American, but I've been raised with the concept of the American dream as an aspiration that could be possible for me, if I wanted it.

When I visited the States last year, I was struck by two things: first, the general waste and excess. People have so much stuff. Even poor people have houses full of consumer junk! I wondered, how can they call themselves poor when they have cars, smartphones, home internet, Amazon Prime, their own rooms, their own beds? I don't doubt there are truly poor people in America, but many of those who call themselves "poor" have normalized a standard of living that, in many other countries, is enjoyed only by the wealthy.

Second, I saw that, despite its well-publicized problems, there is still amazing opportunity in America. There are so many ways to earn a decent living.

And so it saddens me that so many Americans are cynical and jaded about the American dream, and say that it is dead. It's not dead. Many have just taken it for granted.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2930 on: December 21, 2020, 03:16:10 AM »
I think it depends on what you mean by "American Dream". Did the coworkers talk about themselves, or the society as a whole? And what did they mean axactly by that dream?

Because if it is about the "dishwasher to millionaire" story, they are right. Social mobility in the USA is one of the worst in the world.
The "Socialist" nordic states are way better for example. That is because A) the difference beween the upper and lower parts is smaller and B) that is helped by everyone getting a good education and health care and unemployment help. The starting point is better and the race to top-ish shorter.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2931 on: December 22, 2020, 01:24:02 PM »
Any level of hobby can look ridiculous to those looking on from the outside, especially spouses.

When I was motorcycle racing, people would take a brand new $6000 motorcycle and put 3 grand or more into "upgrades" that were NOT required by the safety rules*.
I was tempted, but I knew the problem was not the bike, it was me.
I had evidence.  I was endurance racing, and had a partner who got on my bike and proceeded to go 15% faster than I did.  Same bike same tires same gas same day same weather etc etc.
This means that in a 10 lap race he would have lapped me at least once.

* When I had a racebike stolen, I bought a used racebike and counted up all the extras that were on it and came up with at least 3 grand.

I get it. I have a 350 lb 200 song iPod equivalent.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #2932 on: December 22, 2020, 01:45:00 PM »
@Warlord1986 @SwordGuy I'm not an American, but I've been raised with the concept of the American dream as an aspiration that could be possible for me, if I wanted it.

When I visited the States last year, I was struck by two things: first, the general waste and excess. People have so much stuff. Even poor people have houses full of consumer junk! I wondered, how can they call themselves poor when they have cars, smartphones, home internet, Amazon Prime, their own rooms, their own beds? I don't doubt there are truly poor people in America, but many of those who call themselves "poor" have normalized a standard of living that, in many other countries, is enjoyed only by the wealthy.

Second, I saw that, despite its well-publicized problems, there is still amazing opportunity in America. There are so many ways to earn a decent living.

And so it saddens me that so many Americans are cynical and jaded about the American dream, and say that it is dead. It's not dead. Many have just taken it for granted.
This is why I actually love immigrants to the US.  They see opportunities and dreams to be had whereas born-and-bred Americans are so often blind to it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2933 on: December 22, 2020, 02:01:32 PM »

This is why I actually love immigrants to the US.  They see opportunities and dreams to be had whereas born-and-bred Americans are so often blind to it.

Ditto!    The Millionaire Next Door showed that the longer an ethnic group had been in the US in numbers, the lower its percentage of millionaires.   

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2934 on: December 23, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »

As an immigrant, I was ready to do whatever it took to make it in the US. I went from zero to a six-figure income in six years.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #2935 on: December 23, 2020, 02:39:17 PM »
This is just a silly little story... but it made me shake my head a bit.

I have a work friend who knows that the Hudsoncat family tends to be on frugal side and likes to gently tease about what they consider "extreme" cost cuttings sometimes (for the record I don't even think we are very mustachian. We still have some wasteful spending that I know we could rein in if we wanted). So she asked how I was saving money this month while we were waiting for another co-worker to log on to the meeting the other day.

Me: Oh, once Mr. Hudsoncat is done watching the Mandalorian season, it's time to turn off Disney+ and turn on Netflix. 

CW: wait, you turn streaming services on and off?!

Me: Yes. We don't watch a ton of TV anyway, so we'll turn one on, watch whatever we want, turn it off, move on to another one. Wash & repeat.

CW: You do this regularly?

Me: Not really, we switch every 4-6 months?

CW: That seems like a lot of work to save so little money!

Me: Well, again we don't watch a lot of TV. And switching only takes like 5-10 minutes. I mean how many streaming services can you regularly watch at any given time!

CW: We have at least 5. Maybe 6? I don't know. I think [husband] added the Apple one last month. At least if they are all active I know I can watch them if I want to!

Me: Don't you also have cable?

CW: Well yes, but we get our internet cheaper because we have cable too.

Our other co-worker joined at that point and we started the meeting. But I couldn't help shaking my head a bit to myself.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2936 on: December 23, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »
@hudsoncat,

I do that too! I have at most two going at at time, sometimes one.

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #2937 on: December 23, 2020, 02:56:31 PM »
Cable bills suddenly sound outrageous when you break them up into 5 or 6 different streaming subscriptions, even if they total to roughly the same price. Yikes!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2938 on: December 25, 2020, 01:38:54 AM »
We’ve had Disney plus this year due to the Amex platinum streaming credit (got it got the bonus and then they waived our last AF... almost feel bad for them how much we’ve profited from this card).  Mentioned to wife we would be canceling if they don’t waive the fee again, so let’s finish anything we need to watch, and she was like NOOO.  We watch maybe 1 movie every 2 months.  I was like... we can just pay for a month if we feel like watching something and then she got it.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2939 on: December 25, 2020, 04:21:44 AM »
An acquaintance at work asked to meet up with me a couple months ago to talk about “finances and job satisfaction”. Even though they are an upper middle class couple with a household income of ~$500k, they were stressed out because they had no savings and “everything in this VHCOL city is so expensive!” They live in a four bedroom penthouse suite overlooking a man made lake.  Meanwhile, my family spends $1000/month and $1500 when we are really splurgy.

Well, they’ve been posting their Christmas staycation pictures for everyone to see. They haven’t left the city. Instead they’ve choosing to stay at the Ritz Carlton downtown. They also both look like they’ve been freshly botoxed. Their mouths are curled upwards but everything else on their faces look strangely smooth and frozen. I think they’re in their late 30s.

Well, now I know why you have no savings.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2940 on: December 26, 2020, 08:55:12 AM »
... upper middle class wealthycouple with a household income of ~$500k...

There, fixed that for you.

(Yes, I realize “wealth” is a net worth measure and “income” is not, but their income would allow them to become wealthy if they made better choices...)

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #2941 on: December 26, 2020, 01:44:11 PM »
... upper middle class wealthycouple with a household income of ~$500k...

There, fixed that for you.

(Yes, I realize “wealth” is a net worth measure and “income” is not, but their income would allow them to become wealthy if they made better choices...)

I like the term "Income Affluent" as opposed to "Balance Sheet Affluent".  These are not my terms; they come from Thomas Stanley's work.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2942 on: December 26, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »
I like the term "Income Affluent" as opposed to "Balance Sheet Affluent".  These are not my terms; they come from Thomas Stanley's work.

Oh, I like those.  Thanks!

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2943 on: December 29, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
Coworkers in the break room were comparing their auto insurance rates.

Coworker 1: "I pay a little over $300 a month for the insurance on all 4 of my vehicles"

Coworker 2: "Hah! I only pay $280 a month for all six of my vehicles!"

Me: "I pay for 6 months up front but it works out to be $48 a month for my 1 car."

Coworker 2: "Is that just for liability?"

Me: "Yeah"

Coworker 1: "What are you gonna do if you total it?"

Me: "Take off the license plate and buy another car with cash?"

Coworker 1  is a single 21 year old guy, has a newish Dodge Charger, early 2010s pickup truck, and 2 motorcycles. Coworker 2  is a married guy in his 40s, unsure what all his fleet consists of but I know he mentioned at least 2 cars and 2 trucks. Both of these guys make about what I do, around $60k a year. I'd expect that their vehicles are probably eating up around a quarter of their take home pay, after accounting for loan payments, insurance, registration, and fuel. And yet somehow I'm the crazy one for only having one car that I own outright and don't carry full coverage on.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2944 on: December 29, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »

Is this a PA thing?  I thought most states registered licence plates to specific cars

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2945 on: December 29, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »

Is this a PA thing?  I thought most states registered licence plates to specific cars

Naw, it's the same way in Ontario.   The plate stays with the owner.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2946 on: December 29, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »

It's both, sorta.  The plate belongs to the owner, and when you sell the car, you take your plate off.  Then when you go get the new car registered, you register your plate to the new vehicle.  (I'm in PA)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2947 on: December 29, 2020, 06:09:37 PM »

Glad to hear Ontario is finally a state!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2948 on: December 29, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »

Same in Michigan maybe it’s because PA and MI are close to Canada.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2949 on: December 30, 2020, 06:49:32 AM »

Glad to hear Ontario is finally a state!

Oooh, look who found some nits to pick over the holidays!