Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1128158 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2850 on: December 03, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
As always city life is better when a person is rich... ;)

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2851 on: December 03, 2020, 12:53:17 PM »
Me: "Would you ever consider moving back home eventually or you think you will stay in the states?"
Coworker: "I'll probably stay in the states, but who knows what will happen 30 years from now when I retire"
Me: "......Yeah..... a lot can change in 30 years."

Meanwhile waiting 6 years feels like an eternity. How people even think about retiring in 30+ years is beyond me.

Lorin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2852 on: December 04, 2020, 01:37:07 AM »
PTF

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2853 on: December 04, 2020, 04:01:52 AM »
PTF
just right of the reply button is a button that has the same effect as your PTF ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2854 on: December 04, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
PTF
just right of the reply button is a button that has the same effect as your PTF ;)

It quite the same.  The notify button you can turn off!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2855 on: December 04, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
Me: "Would you ever consider moving back home eventually or you think you will stay in the states?"
Coworker: "I'll probably stay in the states, but who knows what will happen 30 years from now when I retire"

Meanwhile waiting 6 years feels like an eternity. How people even think about retiring in 30+ years is beyond me.

The first step is finding a job that doesn't suck and you actually enjoy, at least most of the time...

I've been wondering how many FIRE advocates are in jobs that just suck, for one reason or another.     And the rest of them, they just don't find their work fulfilling?    Maybe I should post a poll!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2856 on: December 05, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »

The first step is finding a job that doesn't suck and you actually enjoy, at least most of the time...

I've been wondering how many FIRE advocates are in jobs that just suck, for one reason or another.     And the rest of them, they just don't find their work fulfilling?    Maybe I should post a poll!

My job isn’t too bad, I’ve had dozens of jobs and this is definitely the best. Well, I was a snowboard camp counselor for a few years, that was pretty great, but I made something like $25/day for basically 24/7 watching kids. But current job is pretty easy, the pay is good, and my team is wonderful.

But - working seems like a total waste of time, it’s not creative or fulfilling. It’s just showing up doing what I need to do to meet deadlines and keep clients happy - and getting a paycheck in exchange. The money is too good to quit and most of the things I want to do don’t make much money, like teaching snowboarding for example.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2857 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:20 PM »

That sounds like a fascinating discussion topic.  It'd be interesting to see where people fall on the "how much I enjoy my job vs. how enthusiastic I am about FIRE" graph.

I, for one, really enjoy my job.  It's stimulating, challenging, fulfilling, and has plenty of variety.  I work with great people, and the atmosphere is great.  But I still really really want to FIRE.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2858 on: December 05, 2020, 07:58:39 PM »
I also enjoy what I do. There are definite annoyances, and things I don't like, but overall I'm fairly happy to do what I do in exchange for money. And yes I'm saving and investing (and generally being cheap), but not to the extreme.

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #2859 on: December 05, 2020, 10:56:53 PM »
I hated my job until the pandemic allowed me to start working from home about 2/5 days per week. It's much more tolerable now, especially with 4 years of living expenses stocked up and the knowledge that my boss's boss is pleased with me (despite how I'm unexceptional). The main reason for staying is that the engineering job market recoils from my resume like it's a crucifix; only my current employer was dumb enough to actually hire me.

Passion for FIRE has stabilized around a 62% savings rate or so, not counting what goes into mortgage principal or student loan payments.

To be on-topic, one of my coworkers has referred to retirement as the worst thing that has ever been invented (paraphrased; this comment was months ago). She believes that it's why people decline in old age. But she's about 80 years old and still sharp, so I have no reason to argue.

I have also overheard tales of commute times to my workplace. 40+ minutes is common. To my knowledge, I am the only one who lives in the same city as the office.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2860 on: December 06, 2020, 05:33:14 AM »
To be on-topic, one of my coworkers has referred to retirement as the worst thing that has ever been invented (paraphrased; this comment was months ago). She believes that it's why people decline in old age. But she's about 80 years old and still sharp, so I have no reason to argue.
That's certainly true-ish. But only if you let yourself decline.
Up until retirement people are forced by work to do something (and relax on the weekend). That is so ingrained in most of them that by the time they actually retire, they can't get around their heads that it's not eternal weekend and they can and have to do something.
Of course if they aren't broken in body by work too by that time.

Okinawa is said to be the "island of the 100 year olds". Mostly it's said because of their food. That certainly has it's part, but those 100 year olds are ALL doing something. Many have still been working in the fields in their 80s or doing it even until they die.

Remember that most FIRE people are not saying they want to endlessly relax. Most say they want to be self-determined and that is what ahem... FIREs them up to be early "retirements".
Having to put food on your plate is a great motivator but it seldom allows people to be themselves. (There is a famous story about one writer who rented a typewriter on an hourly base so he had to make sure to use the time as best as he could and wrote whole novels down in the first draft. While the result is astounding, I am quite sure most people are not on that level of skill - or desparation.)

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2861 on: December 07, 2020, 02:15:48 AM »
That's certainly true-ish. But only if you let yourself decline.
Up until retirement people are forced by work to do something (and relax on the weekend). That is so ingrained in most of them that by the time they actually retire, they can't get around their heads that it's not eternal weekend and they can and have to do something.

Remember that most FIRE people are not saying they want to endlessly relax. Most say they want to be self-determined and that is what ahem... FIREs them up to be early "retirements".
Having to put food on your plate is a great motivator but it seldom allows people to be themselves. (There is a famous story about one writer who rented a typewriter on an hourly base so he had to make sure to use the time as best as he could and wrote whole novels down in the first draft. While the result is astounding, I am quite sure most people are not on that level of skill - or desparation.)

Even within the FIRE community, there aren't enough people that get this. I regularly get into disagreements on Facebook within FIRE groups about what constitutes "retired". Just the other week I had to correct people within the Mustachians in Practice group who were saying that MMM "isn't actually retired", because he still runs a blog and does construction work. I of course linked the Internet Retirement Police article from the blog, and asserted that you can absolutely be retired while doing something you love that happens to make you money. I got a response that "by that definition a lot of people would be retired." I could almost hear the loud smack as the person ran face first into the point, and still missed it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2862 on: December 07, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
Listened to a watercooler discussion about guns and ammo. Hard to get ammo these days b/c demand is so high. $1+ per bullet depending.

And guns... Well, first you buy the gun, then you send it away to have custom machining and a paint job done to it, and then you replace about half the parts with custom catalog parts b/c all these things make the gun better - somehow. Its also how you start with a $500 gun and end up with something that costs multiples of that.

I'm making fun of the gun hobby but this really can apply to any hobby. I've watched people do the same with everything - bikes, motorcycles, fishing gear, 4WD vehicles, etc. I've "upgraded" a couple of my things too. Usually only functional upgrades or preservation upgrades (make something old usable and reliable again).

Funny how we can get stuck in those kinds of upgrade traps. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2863 on: December 07, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
Listened to a watercooler discussion about guns and ammo. Hard to get ammo these days b/c demand is so high. $1+ per bullet depending.

And guns... Well, first you buy the gun, then you send it away to have custom machining and a paint job done to it, and then you replace about half the parts with custom catalog parts b/c all these things make the gun better - somehow. Its also how you start with a $500 gun and end up with something that costs multiples of that.
Haven't you heard?  AR-15's are like Barbie for Men.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2864 on: December 07, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »

Haha, next time I hear about some new scope or part that is needed for a rifle, I am going to ask if Barbie needs a new dress.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2865 on: December 08, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »
Barbies for men. I like it!

I like to feel that MMM was inoculated us against needless subscriptions and upgrade cycles.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2866 on: December 08, 2020, 01:01:11 PM »

I like to feel that MMM was inoculated us against needless subscriptions and upgrade cycles.

I was browsing around on ebay for a newer iPad, as my current iPad 2 has an iffy home button and a cracked screen.  I just couldn't justify it.  Dang  MMM'ers in my head wouldn't let me.

Listened to a watercooler discussion .....

I'm making fun of the gun hobby but this really can apply to any hobby. I've watched people do the same with everything - bikes, motorcycles, fishing gear, 4WD vehicles, etc. I've "upgraded" a couple of my things too. Usually only functional upgrades or preservation upgrades (make something old usable and reliable again).

Any level of hobby can look ridiculous to those looking on from the outside, especially spouses.

When I was motorcycle racing, people would take a brand new $6000 motorcycle and put 3 grand or more into "upgrades" that were NOT required by the safety rules*.
I was tempted, but I knew the problem was not the bike, it was me.
I had evidence.  I was endurance racing, and had a partner who got on my bike and proceeded to go 15% faster than I did.  Same bike same tires same gas same day same weather etc etc.
This means that in a 10 lap race he would have lapped me at least once.

* When I had a racebike stolen, I bought a used racebike and counted up all the extras that were on it and came up with at least 3 grand.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2867 on: December 08, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »

I was browsing around on ebay for a newer iPad, as my current iPad 2 has an iffy home button and a cracked screen.  I just couldn't justify it.  Dang  MMM'ers in my head wouldn't let me.

Listened to a watercooler discussion .....

Any level of hobby can look ridiculous to those looking on from the outside, especially spouses.

When I was motorcycle racing, people would take a brand new $6000 motorcycle and put 3 grand or more into "upgrades" that were NOT required by the safety rules*.
I was tempted, but I knew the problem was not the bike, it was me.
I had evidence.  I was endurance racing, and had a partner who got on my bike and proceeded to go 15% faster than I did.  Same bike same tires same gas same day same weather etc etc.
This means that in a 10 lap race he would have lapped me at least once.

* When I had a racebike stolen, I bought a used racebike and counted up all the extras that were on it and came up with at least 3 grand.

About the iPad, if your old ipad is not functioning ok I think it is totally ok to upgrade. I have a 6 years old Ipad that works ok but little slowly. Today, I got a notice that I could not install the latest version of an app due to the system version. I am going to postpone the upgrade a while longer because t is othervise ok.

I saw the same thing when I was doing triathlons. Mostly guys buying light weight bikes and equipment, while the most cost effective thing would have been losing 10 kilos. One of my best moments in a race was when I passed a guy with a tribike and a special aerodynamic helmet with my 2000 dollar roadbike. And let me tell you I am not a fast biker.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2868 on: December 08, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »

That sounds like a fascinating discussion topic.  It'd be interesting to see where people fall on the "how much I enjoy my job vs. how enthusiastic I am about FIRE" graph.

I, for one, really enjoy my job.  It's stimulating, challenging, fulfilling, and has plenty of variety.  I work with great people, and the atmosphere is great.  But I still really really want to FIRE.
I think I am just built to find that every job sucks after approx 2 years.   I don't think it is the actual job, it's me.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2869 on: December 08, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »

Well us women gun owners just accessorize our AR-15s AND get a new dress! Sometimes they even match ;-).
Here you are (attachment) @spartana   ...... and Learn to Paint your rifle / AR15 from Chinese [Bob Ross]   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgD4d-552o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:37:43 PM by markbike528CBX »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2870 on: December 09, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »
One of the owners of a Hobby Store (The Hobbit) in town used to make uniforms for Barbie dolls and equip them with G.I. Joe guns, knives, etc.   She also gave them a scar, just like G.I. Joe.   

My favorite was Spetznaz Barbie, which we gave as a Christmas present to our daughter in law to go with her collection.

Apparently some lawyer sent them a cease and desist letter. :(   

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2871 on: December 09, 2020, 01:22:51 PM »

Well us women gun owners just accessorize our AR-15s AND get a new dress! Sometimes they even match ;-).
Here you are (attachment) @spartana   ...... and Learn to Paint your rifle / AR15 from Chinese [Bob Ross]   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgD4d-552o
LOL I actually have a pink hoodie with the Hello Kitty with an assault rifle on it. I don't really wear it (well not too often) but it was a gift. Of course you can buy your Barbie her very own AR-15 too. I wonder if it comes in pink  ;-).

Whatever the Barbie in that picture is holding, it is most definitely not an AR-15, haha

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2872 on: December 09, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
Whatever the Barbie in that picture is holding, it is most definitely not an AR-15, haha

Some kind of Bullpup, guessing a Tavor or Desert Tech.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2873 on: December 09, 2020, 02:48:13 PM »

Some kind of Bullpup, guessing a Tavor or Desert Tech.
I have no idea--it appears to have a magazine both in the stock and in front of the trigger, so I'm very confused.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2874 on: December 09, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »

I wonder what we should by our five year old. Oh, maybe her own assault rifle!

But if that is for Chinese customers they might be 20 or 30 years old. I think it is interesting that Hello Kitty is so popular among adults in China.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2875 on: December 09, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »

Just in case you're not familiar with it, the "AR" doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle."  It stands for "ArmaLite Rifle"--Armalite is the company that originally developed it.  Generally speaking, the term "assault rifle" only includes weapons capable of automatic fire or burst fire, and the AR-15 doesn't fall into that category.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2876 on: December 09, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »

Just in case you're not familiar with it, the "AR" doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle."  It stands for "ArmaLite Rifle"--Armalite is the company that originally developed it.  Generally speaking, the term "assault rifle" only includes weapons capable of automatic fire or burst fire, and the AR-15 doesn't fall into that category.

Up here we call that an assault-style rifle because of the large magazine and short barrel length.    The government plays whack-a-mole trying to ban these things.   The manufacturers make minor changes to get around the regulations, then the government changes the regulations.

Of course, there's no valid civilian use for an AR15 in Canada anyway.     I know that's not the case in the US...      :-P

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2877 on: December 09, 2020, 07:31:18 PM »

I’m in law enforcement, we have lots of gun nuts.  I will never be one because I’m not willing to pay $500 plus for one.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2878 on: December 09, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »

I’m in law enforcement, we have lots of gun nuts.  I will never be one because I’m not willing to pay $500 plus for one.

DH had a colleague once who was really, really into guns and spending on guns. But he was like that with everything. Only the most expensive dim sum in town was even worth considering (even the other Chinese people thought he was nuts), new parents shouldn't even consider anything except the top of the line stroller, couldn't understand why anyone would buy a house anywhere except the very best school district....

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2879 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:40 PM »

LOL I actually have a pink hoodie with the Hello Kitty with an assault rifle on it. I don't really wear it (well not too often) but it was a gift. Of course you can buy your Barbie her very own AR-15 too. I wonder if it comes in pink  ;-).

That picture is nightmare fuel.  Barbie, perfect hair, demonic smile and the EYES....   :-)  You just KNOW some mayhem is going down

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2880 on: December 09, 2020, 09:53:44 PM »

I think I am just built to find that every job sucks after approx 2 years.   I don't think it is the actual job, it's me.

I was the same way.  It's nice to know I'm not alone.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2881 on: December 10, 2020, 04:16:38 AM »

But if that is for Chinese customers they might be 20 or 30 years old. I think it is interesting that Hello Kitty is so popular among adults in China.
Afaik all of Asia is totally into cute. And that is something many western companies have failed to understand (including that adults buy cute stuff).
Famously Barbie had to close down their super hyper Beijing flagship store because they just could manage to sell the "sexy" styled strangely looking Barbie.

Meanwhile Asia goes Saikawa when it comes to cute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9BZy4FD1c

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2882 on: December 10, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »

Up here we call that an assault-style rifle because of the large magazine and short barrel length.    The government plays whack-a-mole trying to ban these things.   The manufacturers make minor changes to get around the regulations, then the government changes the regulations.

Of course, there's no valid civilian use for an AR15 in Canada anyway.     I know that's not the case in the US...      :-P
"Assault-style" is an interesting term.  It at least shows acknowledgement that there's a difference, although I take issue with regulating guns based on appearance/style.  Where does short barrel length come into play?  In the states, "short barrel" is <16 inches.  Is it different up north?

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #2883 on: December 10, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »

"Assault-style" is an interesting term.  It at least shows acknowledgement that there's a difference, although I take issue with regulating guns based on appearance/style.  Where does short barrel length come into play?  In the states, "short barrel" is <16 inches.  Is it different up north?

That seems to be all our gov't does - regulate based on looks. This Spring our federal gov't rammed through an 'order in council' (which bypasses parliamentary debate) to prohibit ownership of hundreds of firearms (black gun = scary = banned) as a knee jerk reaction to a situation that had nothing to do with the firearms they banned.

The Gov't and media continue to use the term assault rifle and assault-style rifle interchangeably to convince the general public believe that assault rifles are in the hands of civilians - never mind that assault rifles have been banned in Canada since the 70s).

Large capacity magazines for semi-auto center fire rifles are pinned to 5 rounds max to be legal. Barrel and total length are regulated b/c, in theory, they cannot be concealed. I suspect that all the criminals are following the licensing and possession regulations ...

I'm going to go back to reading about $$ now :)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2884 on: December 10, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »

I would join the assault rifle style crowd mentioned above. It is not allowed for private ownership here either. I grew up in a household with rifles for hunting and competition and are comfortable with using guns.  Handgun ownership is strictly regulated so either you belong to a shooting club and compete or you are a criminal. You would never see people carrying guns in the street like you see pictures from US.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2885 on: December 10, 2020, 03:21:43 PM »

I would join the assault rifle style crowd mentioned above. It is not allowed for private ownership here either. I grew up in a household with rifles for hunting and competition and are comfortable with using guns.  Handgun ownership is strictly regulated so either you belong to a shooting club and compete or you are a criminal. You would never see people carrying guns in the street like you see pictures from US.
FWIW, open carry is pretty uncommon, hence why it garners attention.  In the 6 years I lived in the Houston Texas area, I only once saw someone other than police openly carrying a firearm.  Now, there are hundreds of thousands of civilians across the country who (legally) carry concealed on a daily basis, but you never see pictures of them, and very rarely hear news stories about them. :)  Very occasionally you have instances where you'll see lots of people carrying openly, e.g. Coeur d'Alene Idaho earlier this year when they heard rumors of less-peaceful protesters coming to town, but that's exceedingly rare.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2886 on: December 11, 2020, 07:00:49 AM »

FWIW, open carry is pretty uncommon, hence why it garners attention.  In the 6 years I lived in the Houston Texas area, I only once saw someone other than police openly carrying a firearm.  Now, there are hundreds of thousands of civilians across the country who (legally) carry concealed on a daily basis, but you never see pictures of them, and very rarely hear news stories about them. :)  Very occasionally you have instances where you'll see lots of people carrying openly, e.g. Coeur d'Alene Idaho earlier this year when they heard rumors of less-peaceful protesters coming to town, but that's exceedingly rare.

I saw someone open carrying while trick or treating with his kid this year.  Of course, I live in the deep, deep south.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #2887 on: December 11, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
Our company has banned us from traveling anywhere this Christmas holiday. We are required to stay in the city to avoid having to undergo a two week quarantine upon our return (thereby delaying our return to work since our holiday is only two weeks long). We are not allowed to extend our holiday by using personal leave, since many of the expats left the country, got stuck outside, and was kind of on leave for the first nine months of this year.

So now, people are desperate to spend their money in the city. These are the opportunities we’ve been invited to in the past couple weeks.

$60 sessions at an indoor playground.
$60 to go for a walk in a park.
$1000 to stay for a couple days at a hotel about a 20 minute bike ride from our expat neighborhood.
$2000 for a few days at a nearby island hotel
$5000 for a one week winter art trip
$500 for a one week (half day) art camp
$800 for a three day science camp

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2888 on: December 11, 2020, 03:18:11 PM »

I saw someone open carrying while trick or treating with his kid this year.  Of course, I live in the deep, deep south.

In case they are attacked by Halloween ghouls and goblins?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2889 on: December 11, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »

And silver bullets for vampires and werewolves?

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2890 on: December 12, 2020, 01:55:51 AM »

And silver bullets for vampires and werewolves?

I thought it was shot or treat instead of trick or treat.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2891 on: December 12, 2020, 06:45:32 AM »
Our company has banned us from traveling anywhere this Christmas holiday. We are required to stay in the city to avoid having to undergo a two week quarantine upon our return (thereby delaying our return to work since our holiday is only two weeks long).
Is there a "industrialized" country where this sort of thing is still legal? Or are you in Bangladesh?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #2892 on: December 12, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
Our company has banned us from traveling anywhere this Christmas holiday. We are required to stay in the city to avoid having to undergo a two week quarantine upon our return (thereby delaying our return to work since our holiday is only two weeks long).
Is there a "industrialized" country where this sort of thing is still legal? Or are you in Bangladesh?

China. Company is following government regulations.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2893 on: December 12, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »

Not an employment lawyer, but it could be legal in the US too (depending on state).  There are typically a specific set of protected characteristics (classes) that you can't be fired for, and travel isn't one of them.  At the most basic level, you would be fired for not showing up to work.  As with everything, it could be argued but I definitely would not be surprised if an employer tried to pull that.

That being said, be safe out there and don't travel this holiday, regardless of your employer's policies
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 05:10:04 PM by dragoncar »

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2894 on: December 13, 2020, 02:42:31 AM »

I was the same way.  It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Welcome to the club.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2895 on: December 13, 2020, 03:00:30 AM »

Not an employment lawyer, but it could be legal in the US too (depending on state).  There are typically a specific set of protected characteristics (classes) that you can't be fired for, and travel isn't one of them.  At the most basic level, you would be fired for not showing up to work.  As with everything, it could be argued but I definitely would not be surprised if an employer tried to pull that.

That being said, be safe out there and don't travel this holiday, regardless of your employer's policies
Fired for not being able to turn up at work does not apply if you are forced by law.

If it is not forbidden to travel, than you can't be fired if it is forbidden to leave house after you traveled. You are not the cause of the hindrance but the quarantine.
If it would be different, you could also be fired because you opened the door for the postman. Or because you met your neighbor in the stairs.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2896 on: December 13, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »
In the US at an at Will employer and state, you can be fired for absolutely anything as long as it isn’t protected. So yes, if the company tells you not to travel (or not to meet someone on the stairs), and you do (even if allowed by the government), then they could make a case for firing.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2897 on: December 13, 2020, 06:07:57 AM »
Plenty of developed and developing countries have imposed some form of mandatory quarantine during the pandemic. 

Source: https://www.trip.com/travel-restrictions-covid-19/

In response, many companies have adapted their business continuity plans, including prohibiting international travel. It makes sense, especially with the post-Thanksgiving travel spikes in COVID cases, and another spike expected after Christmas travel.

Not every job can be done remotely while in mandatory quarantine, so if the nature of the job requires someone to be on site, it would follow that the company would prohibit any action, including international travel, that would lead to mandatory quarantine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 06:11:25 AM by Adventine »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2898 on: December 13, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »

Fired for not being able to turn up at work does not apply if you are forced by law.

If it is not forbidden to travel, than you can't be fired if it is forbidden to leave house after you traveled. You are not the cause of the hindrance but the quarantine.
If it would be different, you could also be fired because you opened the door for the postman. Or because you met your neighbor in the stairs.

You weren’t forced by law to travel

I would like to see someone test the law by voluntarily traveling and then filing for paid leave.  That’s a nice loophole
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:36:21 PM by dragoncar »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2899 on: December 13, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »

You weren’t forced by law to travel

I would like to see someone test the law by voluntarily traveling and then filing for paid leave.  That’s a nice loophole

I'm your neighbour in the Netherlands @LennStar and in here you can definitely be fired or forced to take unpaid leave if you cause yourself to be quarantained on purpose. You're the one taking the risk, the employer doesn't have to pay for that. The second you are diagnosed with Covid you get paid again because then you're ill instead of absent and you're protected then.