Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1117157 times)

WerKater

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2750 on: September 27, 2020, 05:09:59 AM »
I was never a coffee guru. But I was advised to never drink destilled water.

This might be an urban legend, never followed up on it.
You can drink distilled water just fine. It is just that if you do not eat or drink anything else, you will lack in minerals. But if you eat well otherwise, distilled water is no problem.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #2751 on: September 27, 2020, 05:21:33 AM »

You can drink distilled water just fine. It is just that if you do not eat or drink anything else, you will lack in minerals. But if you eat well otherwise, distilled water is no problem.

A valuable lesson about the need to challenge knowledge.

I think I'll try my coffee brewed with destilled water!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2752 on: September 27, 2020, 05:22:51 AM »

There's an idea out there that drinking distilled water might leach minerals from your body, because it has none and .... osmosis? God knows. Anyhoo, that's not really how water behave when you drink it. As far as your body is concerned, it's just water. Your body doesn't let valuable minerals wander around and leave through urine, unless there's something quite wrong.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2753 on: September 27, 2020, 06:34:08 AM »

++

Drinking nothing but distilled water might cause issues longer term (lack of fluoride among them) - I certainly wouldn't worry about drinking some as part of a varied diet.

Brewing coffee with water means the water leaches soluble materials including minerals out of the coffee beans - it's certainly not going to be distilled anymore after it's been through the brew basket! Distilled water should be more efficient at extracting certain compounds, so I can see how flavor would be altered.

Distilled water can cause plumbing issues if not allowed for - brass works great for standard water, but distilled water will slowly leach out the zinc from the brass (typically would still take years though.)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2754 on: September 27, 2020, 11:27:16 AM »
Distilled water just doesn't taste particularly good. It's just...bland (and I love water - it's just about all I drink).

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2755 on: September 27, 2020, 11:32:36 AM »
We drink remineralized reverse osmosis at home. When travelling,  DH considers distilled water an acceptable substitute. He's a water snob - Nestle bottled spring water is disgusting lol

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2756 on: September 27, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »
Distilled water just doesn't taste particularly good. It's just...bland (and I love water - it's just about all I drink).

Taste like watered down water

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2757 on: September 27, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »

Taste like watered down water
LOL!!

Still, water does taste different everywhere, even if u are drinking tap water at different houses in the same city.

I was happy drinking our tap water at home for years. Then DH installed the fancy RO system. I actually didn't like the taste in the beginning.  Of course, now I am used to it and no longer like our tap water.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2758 on: September 28, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
I tried using distilled water in my iron, but it just caused it to leak out into black foam that looked orange so you could see it better.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2759 on: September 28, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
I tried using distilled water in my iron, but it just caused it to leak out into black foam that looked orange so you could see it better.

What did the investigators have to say?

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2760 on: October 10, 2020, 09:59:20 PM »
I drive a small hatchback.  Sometimes people give me a hard time for not driving a big truck.  I tell them I'm compensating for something.

;)

Not everyone gets it.

ooooh I'm definitely stealing this!

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #2761 on: October 10, 2020, 10:47:05 PM »
What I don't understand is why people sell when it's really low.
I have the problem that I not sell when I should because it's slightly in the red even though I know it will go down more. I don't sell because I don't want to make the loss.
Why aren't people refusing to sell then when it is a big loss??

Because it's never clear how close we are to the bottom of the drop. People see their portfolio dropping in value at an alarming rate and fear that it will continue dropping at that rate, so they pull their money out before it loses any more value. The "big loss" doesn't seem big when weighed against the hypothetically bigger loss that they think they'll incur if they *don't* sell.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2762 on: October 11, 2020, 07:28:53 AM »
What I don't understand is why people sell when it's really low.
I have the problem that I not sell when I should because it's slightly in the red even though I know it will go down more. I don't sell because I don't want to make the loss.
Why aren't people refusing to sell then when it is a big loss??

Because it's never clear how close we are to the bottom of the drop. People see their portfolio dropping in value at an alarming rate and fear that it will continue dropping at that rate, so they pull their money out before it loses any more value. The "big loss" doesn't seem big when weighed against the hypothetically bigger loss that they think they'll incur if they *don't* sell.

A lot of people DO sell when the immediate spot price for their stocks drops big time.

Why don't I sell?

Because I don't confuse "the immediate spot price for my stocks" as the "value of my holdings", that's why.

I'll give an example using things we all understand, cars.

I buy a really cool antique car for $20,000.   I drive it to work where a colleague sees it and admires it.   We'll call him Sam.

Sam offers to buy the car for $30,000 because he loves this type of car and has always wanted them.    I think about it for a minute and then turn him down.

That night, I go home and say, "Honey, Sam said he would pay $30,000 for our antique car!!!   We just made $10,000!!!"

We're both very happy about how much money we just made.

A month goes by and I come out to my car to find a note on it from someone who wants to buy it for $15,000, but some water splashed on their phone number, so I can't find them.   "OMG!!!!   We just lost $15,000!!!!    We better sell our car to the first person we can find to buy it, before we lose even more!!!"

Substitute "car" with the word "stock" and you'll see how most Americans view their stock holdings.

Now, hopefully, a few things were obvious.   I didn't make a single penny when Sam offered me an immediate spot price of $30,000.   Why?  Because I didn't sell the car.

Nor did I lose money when I learned that some stranger only wanted to pay $15,000 for the car, again because I didn't sell it to them.

In both cases, I still owned the car and it's worth whatever it's worth.

Maybe it's the kind of antique that will grow in value over the years and maybe its' the kind that won't age well.    I dunno.   But  that's got nothing to do with the immediate spot price I'm offered at various times.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2763 on: October 11, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
Great analogy, SwordGuy!

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2764 on: October 12, 2020, 08:27:06 AM »
Actually it's not that great of an analogy. In the car example one is likely to be able to find a buyer for the "true" value of the car.

For stocks, this isn't true. Whatever the spot price (or somewhere near that) is what you will be able to sell them for if you need to sell anytime soon.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2765 on: October 12, 2020, 08:39:59 AM »
Actually it's not that great of an analogy. In the car example one is likely to be able to find a buyer for the "true" value of the car.

For stocks, this isn't true. Whatever the spot price (or somewhere near that) is what you will be able to sell them for if you need to sell anytime soon.

You may have to wait awhile before you find the right buyer, which is like buying and holding until the market is up again.

All offers to purchase are spot-prices. :)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2766 on: October 12, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »

You will still own the car even if the price drops to zero or if no one wants the car(you could still sell it for scrap or piece it out). With stocks if the company delists or goes bankrupt you end up holding nothing. Being a buy and hold forever investor I have had that happen a few times with individual stocks. Since switching to investing in index funds this hasn't happened again.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2767 on: October 12, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »
Dudes.    Really.   Stocks aren't cars.   We all get that.    Even I , who gave the example, get that.

The example was to illustrate HOW REGULAR PEOPLE VIEW STOCKS in such a way that would make it extremely clear to them WHAT THEY GOT WRONG in their thinking about stocks.

It's purpose is to help explain why panicking about a drop in the spot price is foolish and stupid in a way they will both intellectually and emotionally grasp.

That's it.  No more.  No less.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2768 on: October 12, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »
Dudes.    Really.   Stocks aren't cars.   We all get that.    Even I , who gave the example, get that.

The example was to illustrate HOW REGULAR PEOPLE VIEW STOCKS in such a way that would make it extremely clear to them WHAT THEY GOT WRONG in their thinking about stocks.

It's purpose is to help explain why panicking about a drop in the spot price is foolish and stupid in a way they will both intellectually and emotionally grasp.

One goes vroom vroom.

The other doesn't.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2769 on: October 12, 2020, 11:33:58 AM »

I can't drive stocks to work to make more money to buy better stocks, so your comparison is invalid
/troll

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2770 on: October 12, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2771 on: October 12, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
But what about stock cars?!?! Isn’t that what investing is? Stock car racing?

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #2772 on: October 12, 2020, 01:10:08 PM »
But what about stock cars?!?! Isn’t that what investing is? Stock car racing?

What if I buy Ford and GM stocks to see which makes the most money, is that Car Stock racing?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2773 on: October 12, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »

One goes vroom vroom.

The other doesn't.
R/wallstreetbets goes vroom vroom on TSLA.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2774 on: October 12, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »

One goes vroom vroom.

The other doesn't.

But they both crash from time to time.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2775 on: October 12, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »
But wait, Teslas *don't* go vroom vroom.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2777 on: October 13, 2020, 03:47:07 AM »
They are legally mandated to go *something* though. But what the Teslas say I don't know. Or what the mech says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2778 on: October 13, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »

Yet. If they think that people want to hear vroom vroom, then they'll have the computer play vroom vroom over external facing speakers.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2779 on: October 14, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
Do stocks ever rust out?

j/k, j/k...

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #2780 on: October 14, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »

What did the investigators have to say?

Not sure, they vroomed off in a stock certificate.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2781 on: October 14, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »

This has been bugging me all day.  Can someone explain the joke?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2782 on: October 14, 2020, 07:50:22 PM »

Several years ago in this thread there was a rather length off-topic discussion of airplane "black boxes" and how they're actually orange, and related stuff.  Since then, such off-topic posts came to be known as "foam."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2783 on: October 15, 2020, 12:09:58 AM »

Several years ago in this thread there was a rather length off-topic discussion of airplane "black boxes" and how they're actually orange, and related stuff.  Since then, such off-topic posts came to be known as "foam."

It was only like 2 pages, people.  Get over it!

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/msg434327/#msg434327

Also, reading that it doesn't seem to be the origin of the foam. Can't remember where that started.

Ok I found it.  Started a few pages earlier after off-topic discussion of espresso foam.  YOU'RE WELCOME

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/msg412005/#msg412005

Do I now receive a PhD in Mustachian History?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:17:41 AM by dragoncar »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2784 on: October 15, 2020, 01:10:11 AM »
I sometimes wonder if MMM reads this stuff, and what he might think of it when he does. And yes, you get a PhD in Mustachian History.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2785 on: October 15, 2020, 06:02:30 AM »
I sometimes wonder if MMM reads this stuff, and what he might think of it when he does. And yes, you get a PhD in Mustachian History.

He created his own Matrix.   ;-)

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #2786 on: October 15, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/msg434327/#msg434327

Also, reading that it doesn't seem to be the origin of the foam. Can't remember where that started.

Ok I found it.  Started a few pages earlier after off-topic discussion of espresso foam.  YOU'RE WELCOME

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/msg412005/#msg412005

THANK YOU

But seriously, now that you've done the work I think it would be fun to have a Forum History thread in the "Forum Information & FAQs" section.
They're almost like Forum Inside Jokes. What other inside jokes do we have?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2787 on: October 15, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »

THANK YOU

But seriously, now that you've done the work I think it would be fun to have a Forum History thread in the "Forum Information & FAQs" section.
They're almost like Forum Inside Jokes. What other inside jokes do we have?

@sol's blender thread should make the list

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #2788 on: October 16, 2020, 12:40:30 AM »

I can't drive stocks to work to make more money to buy better stocks, so your comparison is invalid
/troll

I need a bumper sticker that says "My Other Ride is an Investment Vehicle"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 12:42:47 AM by Valley of Plenty »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2789 on: October 16, 2020, 04:08:22 AM »

/troll

I need this sticker for my bike.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2790 on: October 16, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »

/troll

@Valley of Plenty , that's awesome!!!!!    I'm making that sign to put on my quadracycle surrey bike!!!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2791 on: October 16, 2020, 11:12:07 AM »

Don't forget the dress. Wasn't there a dress involved?

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2792 on: October 16, 2020, 06:03:25 PM »
To drag this back on topic, and mention cars....a coworker mentioned that they have *hundreds* of dollars in parking tickets.  From not parking in the PAID COMPANY PARKING.
Company parking is the same distance from the work site as the on-street parking where they got the tickets. They paid for some parking, but the meter expired and they got tickets. So they lost the money they paid for parking and the money for the tickets. Hundreds of dollars. Every year they work there.

Our parking is paid for by the company. The times I haven't had a parking pass with me, the manager reimbursed me immediately out of petty cash.

Yet this person keeps parking on the street and getting tickets. #headdesk

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #2793 on: October 17, 2020, 07:24:25 AM »
To drag this back on topic, and mention cars....a coworker mentioned that they have *hundreds* of dollars in parking tickets.  From not parking in the PAID COMPANY PARKING.
Company parking is the same distance from the work site as the on-street parking where they got the tickets. They paid for some parking, but the meter expired and they got tickets. So they lost the money they paid for parking and the money for the tickets. Hundreds of dollars. Every year they work there.

Our parking is paid for by the company. The times I haven't had a parking pass with me, the manager reimbursed me immediately out of petty cash.

Some people are just crazy when it comes to parking where they want to park, no matter what. I have a coworker whose car was towed earlier this year for thousands (not exaggerating) in unpaid tickets and fines. They live in the city and could take the bus to work, but instead want to drive their special car and park right out front, then forget about it. Well, now they are on a payment plan with the PPA to pay it all off. This same person, of course, takes every opportunity to complain about their low pay at work and how it isn't enough to live on.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2794 on: October 17, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »
A co-worker on Friday was talking about how they went to the dealership checking out the new 2021 F150's since his 2018 F150 is about to hit 100,000KM.  He was excited about a bunch of new options on the truck like the new bigger touch screen, and the built in power inverter so you can simply plug in a bunch of electronics etc..  He told the dealership to sign him up for one as long as they can keep the same payments. I can't understand how he doesn't see that those monthly payments add up to a lot of money and he is paying for the highest deprecation years of ownership over and over again. I tried to explain that to him, but could tell he wasn't interested in hearing my way of thinking. His logic is he is used to that payment and if it never changes and he gets to drive a new truck every couple of years he is happy and the dealership is happy everyone is a winner.  I don't know the payment details, but I am sure the dealership is just stretching out his payments over more years. It likely won't hit him how much he is paying until he stops buying a new one every couple of years and finds out he has to keep making those high payments for another 6-8 years without getting a new truck.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2795 on: October 17, 2020, 05:33:42 PM »
One of the managers who works for me is on the road a lot a gets a lot of mileage reimbursement, plus a monthly car stipend.  He was talking about buying a new truck, and was trying to work out the math so it would be paid by the reimbursement and stipend.  I told him to ignore the stipend and the reimbursement, he gets that's no matter what, so it's not a factor in the decision (hoping he would take that to the logical conclusion and keep driving his current truck and bank the rest).

I could not get him to get off the notion that stipend + reimbursement >= new truck payment.

What can you do?

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2796 on: October 17, 2020, 05:51:28 PM »

They must have a reason that makes sense to them. Do you have any idea what it is?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2797 on: October 17, 2020, 09:39:34 PM »
One of the managers who works for me is on the road a lot a gets a lot of mileage reimbursement, plus a monthly car stipend.  He was talking about buying a new truck, and was trying to work out the math so it would be paid by the reimbursement and stipend.  I told him to ignore the stipend and the reimbursement, he gets that's no matter what, so it's not a factor in the decision (hoping he would take that to the logical conclusion and keep driving his current truck and bank the rest).
Heh, I had that kind of deal at my last job, and one assignment was 50 miles from home.  100 miles per day, times $0.55/mile, on my (then-)12-year-old car was pretty sweet.  The thing more than paid for itself.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2798 on: October 18, 2020, 12:45:13 AM »
My company also pays quite big when traveling. I would make more money driving than my wage for the same hour. I would still not chose it, but dang, it hurts thinking about it.

I could not get him to get off the notion that stipend + reimbursement >= new truck payment.

What can you do?
Did you make the "and this is the amount of money you would have left over every month in comparison. Would you prefer to have that and drive your old car or get a new one instead of all that money" argument? Compared to something else? Like "you could pay your son's sports club costs and still have money left".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2799 on: October 18, 2020, 01:42:02 AM »
Heh, I had that kind of deal at my last job, and one assignment was 50 miles from home.  100 miles per day, times $0.55/mile, on my (then-)12-year-old car was pretty sweet.  The thing more than paid for itself.

The wife gets reimbursed for mileage to work.  Seems like a decent bonus until you factor in the time/risk spent driving and remember it's totally not worth it.