Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1117081 times)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1150 on: July 30, 2019, 03:32:23 AM »
Our six-year-old is still trying the old “all of my friends are allowed to” or “none of my friends has to” game. He doesn’t yet realize how much parents talk about their kids on private channels such as WhatsApp.

My teen did it too, until about age 17 when I perfected the fine art of saying: "Have their parents call me and explain how they do it and can afford it." I received zero explanatory calls, E-mails, or letters so I decided the "everyone" argument was bullshit.

Ny kids gave up on that tactic a long time ago because they know it will trigger either
A) an hour long (or more) dialogue on cultural differences, rules and regulations, child development theories, ethics and moral (diverting into philosophy and theory of ethics), etc
Or if we don’t have time:
B) “that sounds unfair. Would you rather live with some of those folks?”

If it is a money issue, i’m very open to all good suggestions to alter the budget, as long as the argument is presented in a calm and coherent way, is good, and they can tell me where the money should come from.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1151 on: July 30, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
My supervisor was excited to tell me this morning that he's buying a brand new truck.. a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 with an MSRP of ~$70k. He's trading in a paid off 2012 Tundra with only 60k miles on it. Pretty much the only thing he uses a truck for is a putting a bed-mounted camper in it for weekend camping trips less than 15 times a year (he also bought the camper new for like 20k last year). But hey, it's a smoking deal since he's only paying $60k for the truck and getting $22k for his trade-in!! SMH

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: July 30, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I meant to say 35 book cases, each composed of many shelves.

I both revere and pity you.

Some people are book lovers, some are bibliophiles.  Me, I'm a book slut.

you're making me envision the episodes of hoarders where homes become structurally unsafe because they have 300,000 lbs of books in them...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1153 on: July 30, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »
The coworker I was talking to was also trying to lose weight, and she mentioned once she hit her target she was going to get her eyebrows microbladed. Have you guys heard of this? I had to Google it after she left, but prices range from $200 to $1000 for the initial treatment, and up to $100/mo for touch ups. Just looked at a local shop - $400 for the initial treatment, $50 touch up 6-8 weeks out. AND they offer 0% financing for six months! What a deal!

I read this as microbraided and was trying to imagine braided eyebrows!

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1154 on: July 30, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »
Our six-year-old is still trying the old “all of my friends are allowed to” or “none of my friends has to” game. He doesn’t yet realize how much parents talk about their kids on private channels such as WhatsApp.

My teen did it too, until about age 17 when I perfected the fine art of saying: "Have their parents call me and explain how they do it and can afford it." I received zero explanatory calls, E-mails, or letters so I decided the "everyone" argument was bullshit.

That's awesome!  I hope you don't mind if I shamelessly plagiarise this...

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1155 on: July 31, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
I work at a mid-size corporation.  I was in a meeting yesterday with one of the Finance managers and an IT guy.  The Finance person said "my wife showed me an article yesterday about something called FIRE."  He explained a little about what that meant, and I helped him remember the words to the acronym.

Finance guy: "Can you BELIEVE that people think they can retire on only $1 million.  I'd need at least $10 million."
Me: "You need $400k per year to live on?"
Finance guy: "Oh no, 4% is way too risky.  You should really only be withdrawing 2%.  That would only give us $200k per year."
IT guy: "Yeah, that sounds a lot more reasonable."
Me: "There are a lot of people who can live quite well on $40k per year."
Finance guy: "They probably don't have their own private planes."
IT guy: "And I bet they don't take vacations, either.  Hey, fdm, didn't you just go on vacation?"
Me: "Yes, my husband and I went to a cabin in <town 90 miles away> to hike. No internet, no cell service, a little kitchen to cook in - it was great!"
Finance guy: "I love that town.  I fly my plane there all the time."

I gave up and started the meeting. 

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1156 on: July 31, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »

When you're talking about big money, like winning the lottery, it's pretty obvious that this is a bad strategy.  But let's take something smaller, like a lottery ticket, which is statistically a really bad idea but which gives a lot of people a feeling of hope.  If someone refuses to buy one lottery ticket a week, he will have saved $52 at the end of the year.  It's good not to waste $50 but it's also not a transformative amount of money to save.  I can understand why someone without great options might choose to buy hope with that $50 even if I would personally never spend it.

I buy a lottery ticket once in a while (about 4 times per year).  I like the thrill of imagining what I'd do if I win.  But only ever buy 1 ticket.  I have always believed that the value of a 1 in 300 million chance may be worth $1, but a 2 in 300 million chance is certainly not worth an extra $1.  Sadly, most lottery players that I know are spending $10-$20 per week or more.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1157 on: July 31, 2019, 10:15:51 AM »
I work at a mid-size corporation.  I was in a meeting yesterday with one of the Finance managers and an IT guy.  The Finance person said "my wife showed me an article yesterday about something called FIRE."  He explained a little about what that meant, and I helped him remember the words to the acronym.

Finance guy: "Can you BELIEVE that people think they can retire on only $1 million.  I'd need at least $10 million."
Finance guy: "Oh no, 4% is way too risky.  You should really only be withdrawing 2%.  That would only give us $200k per year."
IT guy: "And I bet they don't take vacations, either.  Hey, fdm, didn't you just go on vacation?"
Me: "Yes, my husband and I went to a cabin in <town 90 miles away> to hike. No internet, no cell service, a little kitchen to cook in - it was great!"

LOLOL... I'm assuming they don't know you're a FIREee?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1158 on: July 31, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »

LOLOL... I'm assuming they don't know you're a FIREee?

Well fdm is probably a pleb without a private plane so she can retire on a paltry 1 million

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1159 on: July 31, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »
Do you think Finance Guy really plans on working until he has $10MM saved? Also, do you think he has any plan to actually achieve that?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1160 on: July 31, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »

The thing is, a plane doesn't have to cost you an additional $160k/year.  A used Cessna 172 can be had for $60-90k, the annual inspection is under $1500, hangar rental is a few hundred per month, insurance is a couple thousand per year.  The cost of fuel is highly dependent on the airplane and how you fly it, but let's say your fuel is $5/gal and you're burning 10 gallons per hour (on the generous side), so Finance Guy's cost is about $100 each time he flies to <that town>.

Yeah, you're going to have trouble retiring on $40k/year with an airplane, but if you want that airplane, those costs are pretty easy to calculate, and they're nowhere near $160k/year!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1161 on: July 31, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
And a person could buy into an airplane cooperative where there are multiple owners sharing the cost.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1162 on: August 01, 2019, 08:36:31 AM »
Finance guy's plan, from what little I can gather, is to work until he can't.  He'll likely have a 6-figure pension (which was closed to new employees before I started), but it won't reach $200k. 

They hadn't figured out that I'm on the FIRE path yet, although the look on my face should have given it away.   I am hoping that part of that was just teasing...

My dad built his own little plane when I was a kid.  He had all kinds of expensive hobbies (but only one at a time), and he still retired very comfortably by 55.   I hope my colleagues figure out that is possible for them, too.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1163 on: August 01, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
My friend has a little Cessna, but it doesn't seem to cost too much to run. He also still has his first car, a 1990 Honda Prelude, so he hasn't been wasting money on cars over the years.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1164 on: August 01, 2019, 09:21:27 AM »
He also still has his first car, a 1990 Honda Prelude, so he hasn't been wasting money on cars over the years.

Those last forever.  My husband's first car was a Prelude, and he bought another one (an '85, maybe?) last summer because he missed it.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1165 on: August 01, 2019, 09:37:47 AM »
My supervisor was excited to tell me this morning that he's buying a brand new truck.. a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 with an MSRP of ~$70k. He's trading in a paid off 2012 Tundra with only 60k miles on it. Pretty much the only thing he uses a truck for is a putting a bed-mounted camper in it for weekend camping trips less than 15 times a year (he also bought the camper new for like 20k last year). But hey, it's a smoking deal since he's only paying $60k for the truck and getting $22k for his trade-in!! SMH

Same guy, new story..

This morning I overheard a conversion he was having with another coworker about trucks/vehicles. His step-son is graduating from Air Force ROTC next year and he's advising him to go take out a loan on a brand new Tacoma once he gets his commission. Quite possibly the worst financial advice I've ever heard him give.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1166 on: August 01, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »
I wish I went camping 15 times a year. I need to be more organized about that.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1167 on: August 01, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »

Same guy, new story..

This morning I overheard a conversion he was having with another coworker about trucks/vehicles. His step-son is graduating from Air Force ROTC next year and he's advising him to go take out a loan on a brand new Tacoma once he gets his commission. Quite possibly the worst financial advice I've ever heard him give.

Buddy of mine who was in ROTC said that every Ensign had a BMW Z3. If you needed a ride somewhere, they needed gas money.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1168 on: August 01, 2019, 01:15:45 PM »
Former co-worker.  Always complaining that he wasn't making enough $$.  Told me that he stopped contributing to his RRSP because he couldn't keep up with his expenses.

3 years ago when I started he had just traded in his new (less than 1 yr old) Challenger and got a new Jeep.  6 months later it was traded for a new Charger.  A year after than he traded for a new Civic Type R.  All were financed, all under water - he kept rolling the old into the new loan.  He has since left company so not sure what he's driving now.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1169 on: August 01, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
Hey! Some good news. Heard one of the youngins say that once their pickup truck was repaired they were selling it and buying a little used four cylinder gas sipper. Tired of buying lots of gasoline and the payments. Something makes me believe that they are serious and that the idea will be followed by action.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1170 on: August 02, 2019, 07:24:22 AM »
Hey! Some good news. Heard one of the youngins say that once their pickup truck was repaired they were selling it and buying a little used four cylinder gas sipper. Tired of buying lots of gasoline and the payments. Something makes me believe that they are serious and that the idea will be followed by action.
won't happen, 99% chance. youngin will succumb to peer pressure about getting a 4-pot ricer, the reputation hit, etc.
i've seen it all during 2007-2008.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1171 on: August 02, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
We'll see. Person in question had a four poi gas sipper before the truck and they speak wistfully about the economy of that car. We'll see.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1172 on: August 02, 2019, 01:57:27 PM »
Young guy in my office is set to get promoted (gov't job) and said "I don't know what I'd even do with $120,000 a year."

I said, "Are you maxing out your TSP?"

He said, "Ever since I started 15 year ago" when he only making $30,000.

The kid is a fucking rock star.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1173 on: August 02, 2019, 04:21:51 PM »

May be off base here, but when we looked for a "truck bed slide-in camper" we couldn't find one with an actual shower / decent toilet - that a Tundra could lug around [ not enough carrying capacity] - also in 10 years his Ram3500 Diesel will still probably be worth $45K .
  Ok, I'm gonna duck out before i get hit with a rotten home grown tomato...

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1174 on: August 04, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »

May be off base here, but when we looked for a "truck bed slide-in camper" we couldn't find one with an actual shower / decent toilet - that a Tundra could lug around [ not enough carrying capacity] - also in 10 years his Ram3500 Diesel will still probably be worth $45K .
  Ok, I'm gonna duck out before i get hit with a rotten home grown tomato...

That truck will definitely not be worth $45k in ten years. A quick NADA search shows a 2009 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab w/100k miles worth $27k clean retail..

My guess is the truck is a precursor to a fancy pants fifth wheel camper. I don't see any other reason you'd have a 1 ton truck for a 15 mile commute and a slide-in bed camper that already works fine in a 1/2 ton.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1175 on: August 04, 2019, 09:18:49 PM »
 Edmunds says a 2009 Ram3500 Laramie had a $45,700 MSRP.     
 $27,000 is 59% of the value retained with 100k miles driven

My example is a $70K truck retaining 64% of its value. Being that he likely used his Tundra for more than just camping trips and put approx 9K miles a year on it, then your co-worker should be putting less miles on a vehicle you say he'll use less than 15 times a year -- therefore way less than 100K miles in 10 years.

I suppose your calculator and anecdotes can be more accurate than mine - the point is a "low" mileage dodge diesel truck holds its value - way better than a typical car or SUV.....

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1176 on: August 05, 2019, 09:21:31 AM »
Young guy in my office is set to get promoted (gov't job) and said "I don't know what I'd even do with $120,000 a year."

That's awesome.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1177 on: August 05, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »

That's an awesome story, but in the wrong thread! :)  The thread you want is the Overheard at Work: Anti-antimustachian edition.

J.R. Ewing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1178 on: August 08, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
I'm and engineer and work with other engineers who tend to be rather sensible.  Except for one guy.  Guy just told us that he owns over "200 pairs of limited editions sneakers".  Guy decided to be frugal and ONLY get the $95 dollar/week detailing package for his new Tesla.  Guy also admitted he hasn't cooked dinner in months.  Why cook when you can get food delivered from Door Dash from trendy restaurants?

Upon hearing that, other 2 engineers in the conversation just sat there stunned for a bit.  No one knew what to say. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1179 on: August 08, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »
I'm and engineer and work with other engineers who tend to be rather sensible.  Except for one guy.  Guy just told us that he owns over "200 pairs of limited editions sneakers".  Guy decided to be frugal and ONLY get the $95 dollar/week detailing package for his new Tesla.  Guy also admitted he hasn't cooked dinner in months.  Why cook when you can get food delivered from Door Dash from trendy restaurants?

Upon hearing that, other 2 engineers in the conversation just sat there stunned for a bit.  No one knew what to say.

Holy shit the detailing package is like half as much as the car payment!

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #1180 on: August 08, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »

That's insane. I heard the other day "As soon as the Benz is paid off I am concentrating on student loans." Also eats out most lunches and dinners.....

J.R. Ewing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1181 on: August 08, 2019, 11:40:33 AM »
Another story about Guy and his wife.  She bought a brand new Acura sedan.  They weren't able to put their car seat in the back middle seat in the new sedan.  She liked having the car seat in the middle, so she could reach back and occasionally hold her toddler's hand.  So what do they do?  They trade in their Acura (only about 2000 miles on it) for a brand new luxury SUV.  Got be able to hold that hand for a few seconds before the light changes at intersections...  I can't imagine how much they lost on it. 

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #1182 on: August 08, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »

Does this mean that the guy gets his car detailed every single week? What sort of mess could possibly accumulate regularly in his car such that it needs a whole detailing?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1183 on: August 08, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »

Does this mean that the guy gets his car detailed every single week? What sort of mess could possibly accumulate regularly in his car such that it needs a whole detailing?

Fast food breakfast and lunch garbage and crumbs would be my guess.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1184 on: August 08, 2019, 12:28:49 PM »
In November of last year, a coworker posted in our internal craigslist-esque marketplace that he was selling a brand new Galaxy Note 9 (for $950) that he ended up not wanting to keep (but missed the return window) because he was "very firmly rooted in the Apple ecosystem... I will soon have a new iPad... I've been using an iPhone for the past few years, and have bought a pile of apps... Also, iMessage is just too good of a messaging platform and most of his friends are on iOS."  I don't believe he found a buyer, at least on our work board.

...he just posted today that he's planning on selling his latest model iPhone for $950 because he's planning on getting the new Galaxy Note 10 when it's released in a couple weeks.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #1185 on: August 08, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »
In November of last year, a coworker posted in our internal craigslist-esque marketplace that he was selling a brand new Galaxy Note 9 (for $950) that he ended up not wanting to keep (but missed the return window) because he was "very firmly rooted in the Apple ecosystem... I will soon have a new iPad... I've been using an iPhone for the past few years, and have bought a pile of apps... Also, iMessage is just too good of a messaging platform and most of his friends are on iOS."  I don't believe he found a buyer, at least on our work board.

...he just posted today that he's planning on selling his latest model iPhone for $950 because he's planning on getting the new Galaxy Note 10 when it's released in a couple weeks.

You should reply with a screenshot of last time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1186 on: August 08, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »

I guess if you live out of your car because you can't afford rent you won't have a covered parking space in it'll get pretty dirty, plus all the feces.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1187 on: August 09, 2019, 08:23:11 AM »
Another story about Guy and his wife.  She bought a brand new Acura sedan.  They weren't able to put their car seat in the back middle seat in the new sedan.  She liked having the car seat in the middle, so she could reach back and occasionally hold her toddler's hand.  So what do they do?  They trade in their Acura (only about 2000 miles on it) for a brand new luxury SUV.  Got be able to hold that hand for a few seconds before the light changes at intersections...  I can't imagine how much they lost on it.

Won't fit? We fit a pretty monster carseat in the back middle of a 10-year-old Elantra.

Other than "hand holding" - the middle seat is safer in the event of a side-impact crash, and so when you only have the 1 car seat, I heartily endorse the practice.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1188 on: August 09, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
Car seats are not all made equal, so the much better solution would probably have been to just get a different car seat, instead of a different car.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1189 on: August 09, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »
Car seats are not all made equal, so the much better solution would probably have been to just get a different car seat, instead of a different car.

It's what we did, when we realized we'd need to fit 3 across in our Prius. New car: $$$$$$$$$. New high-end slender car seats: 900$. OUTRAGEOUS, until you consider the alternative expense, and then all of a sudden it looks profoundly reasonable in comparison.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1190 on: August 09, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »

This guy seems to be completely incoherent :-) I guess he's not quite so "rooted" in the Apple ecosystem!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1191 on: August 09, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »

Or in reality. Which may be the root cause of his problem.

This guy seems to be completely incoherent :-) I guess he's not quite so "rooted" in the Apple ecosystem!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1192 on: August 09, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »
I just remembered one - not my work but my husband's. 

He knew two brothers who were engineers making good money.  One of them bought a house, the other bought an exotic car of some sort.  Both purchases cost roughly the same amount.  This was in L.A. 15 or 20 years ago.  Guess how that worked out. 

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1193 on: August 09, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
Was chatting with a coworker. We were talking about student loans. She told me how she has a huge amount of student debt still at the age of 34 and has decided she doesn’t want to pay it back. I like her otherwise as a person but she’s in for a rude awakening...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1194 on: August 11, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »
Was chatting with a coworker. We were talking about student loans. She told me how she has a huge amount of student debt still at the age of 34 and has decided she doesn’t want to pay it back. I like her otherwise as a person but she’s in for a rude awakening...

Yeah - what exactly is her plan for not paying it back?

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1195 on: August 11, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »

Yeah - what exactly is her plan for not paying it back?
[/quote]

Not entirely sure. I’d think the student loan people would come after her to pay anyhow.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1196 on: August 11, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »
Wasn’t at work - just walking down the sidewalk. Two teenagers walking in front of me:

Teen1: I can just pay with my debit card
Teen2: never pay with a debit card!
Teen1: why not?
Teen2: because the money is gone instantly!
Teen2: always put it on a credit card so you can pay it over time. Then the money stays in the bank!
Teen1: oh! That makes sense!

Doomed.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1197 on: August 12, 2019, 12:31:19 AM »
Wasn’t at work - just walking down the sidewalk. Two teenagers walking in front of me:

Teen1: I can just pay with my debit card
Teen2: never pay with a debit card!
Teen1: why not?
Teen2: because the money is gone instantly!
Teen2: always put it on a credit card so you can pay it over time. Then the money stays in the bank!
Teen1: oh! That makes sense!

Doomed.

Lol.. he had me in the first half, not gonna lie

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1198 on: August 12, 2019, 06:46:48 AM »
Co-worker 1: I have test driven a Tesla model S and I want to buy one. I put my Audi 3 up for sale quite som time ago, but so far it is not sold.
Me: If you can't sell you car, the price is too high.
Co-worker 2: How much did the car sales company want to give for your Audi 3?
Co-worker 1: 260.000 NOK, and I turned it down.
Co-worker 2: How old is it?
Co-worker 1: 3 years old and only driven x (I don't remember) kms.
Co-worker 2: Then the car should be worth approx 240.000 NOK. So you got a very good price offer.
Co-worker 1: I still think it is worth more. The car is in pristine condition and has low mileage.
Me thinking: Why on earth do you sell it???
Co-worker 1: What I really want to drive is a Jaguar I-Pace. But that costs a million NOK.
Co-worker 2: Life is too short, I think you should buy the car you really want to drive.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1199 on: August 12, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »

Reminds me of a 30-something lawyer I know.  We met up for lunch one day when he invited me and my summer clerk to join him and his summer clerk at a local restaurant.  As both clerks are law students, they started discussing their student loans (and the grants and scholarships they both have).  The lawyer said, "I've got about $275,000 in loans.  I'm never going to get rid of them, so I just pay the minimum and don't bother to think about it."  Then he offered to pay for lunch for all of us.  I got him to split the bill with me instead.  Later saw him drive away in a late-model-looking Mercedes.  I didn't mention that DH and I had over $300K in loans between us and managed, with luck and determination, to pay them off in a time period that was shorter than "never."