Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112828 times)

jps

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1100 on: July 23, 2019, 11:00:31 AM »

And just other interesting stuff, like some books on how to learn to read Latin that are so well written that they work really well with no other teacher despite being written totally in Latin.  Think about that for a moment.   That's some good writing.

What is this book? I'm interested!

Don't know if this is the exact one that SwordGuy has, but I have a friend who has used this one and swears by it. https://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Illustrata-Pars-Familia/dp/1585104205/ref=pd_cp_14_1?pd_rd_w=2HbBQ&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=WSHADN71G4J9TN0Z698E&pd_rd_r=39b831b0-acd9-449b-853b-1ee3e76e3fb4&pd_rd_wg=t9AaS&pd_rd_i=1585104205&psc=1&refRID=WSHADN71G4J9TN0Z698E

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1101 on: July 23, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »
I desperately want to raid the fiction and pottery libraries, omg. *swoon*
I think we need to start a separate thread where we can all show off and discuss our private libraries.

post the link here, so all of us book braggarts can join in.
(Smallish library, offset by geek factor)
Done--the "Show off your library" thread is now live!

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1102 on: July 23, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »
Three of my coworkers were just chatting in the kitchenette near where I am sitting and I just heard one of them say his parents pay for most of his rent. They were talking about buying houses and he said he and his girlfriend absolutely love their apartment and can't imagine moving out of it to buy something. Ok, that isn't bad on it's own. Then he said he had been paying over half of his salary toward rent so now his parents pay $1700 per month and he pays $1000. Denver is becoming a higher cost of living place, but he obviously lives in an EXTREMELY high-end apartment, likely right in downtown. I just built a brand-new townhouse and my mortgage payment is less than $2700 per month.

This man is in his early thirties and he is a GS-12 and his parents are paying the majority of his rent each month, when there are plenty of apartments within his means. That is just insane.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1103 on: July 23, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
Three of my coworkers were just chatting in the kitchenette near where I am sitting and I just heard one of them say his parents pay for most of his rent. They were talking about buying houses and he said he and his girlfriend absolutely love their apartment and can't imagine moving out of it to buy something. Ok, that isn't bad on it's own. Then he said he had been paying over half of his salary toward rent so now his parents pay $1700 per month and he pays $1000. Denver is becoming a higher cost of living place, but he obviously lives in an EXTREMELY high-end apartment, likely right in downtown. I just built a brand-new townhouse and my mortgage payment is less than $2700 per month.

This man is in his early thirties and he is a GS-12 and his parents are paying the majority of his rent each month, when there are plenty of apartments within his means. That is just insane.

...I'm sorry...what????????

theskyisblue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1104 on: July 23, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »

Umm ... I know a lot of people like this.  Parents pay summer camp, parents pay daycare, parents pay vacations, parents paid for college, parents paid for grad school, parents paid for wedding, honeymoon, downpayment, house, car.  Parents paying daily living expenses is more unusual but definitely something I've seen.  This is extremely common in my community, people want their kids to have the best of everything and usually the parents can afford it.  Not my situation and it can make a normal person making a respectable salary feel crazy poor.

theskyisblue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1105 on: July 23, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
Here's the most interesting thing I recently overheard at work, although I'm not sure it belongs on the wall of shame.

ME:  How are things going?  It's kind of stressful right now with this new product, right?

COWORKER:  Yep.  Things are hard and between this [our job] and my blog I basically work all the time.

ME:  Maybe you should, like, sell the blog to someone.  Is that possible? 

COWORKER:  Well, the blog brings in about 40K a year ...

ME:  What?!  Sh*t, I had NO idea the blog was so successful!

ME:  That's amazing, good for you.  What are you doing with the money?  Are you guys saving for a house or something or maybe you plan to retire early?

COWORKER:  Actually, most of it goes to my parents.  My dad is crazy irresponsible with money and my mom just lost her job.

ME:  What?!  Sh*t, I had no idea.  I'm sorry.

You literally have no idea what is happening with other people's financial lives unless they tell you. 

I had assumed, based on background, appearance and other superficial or stereotypical things that this person came from an upper middle class family and had gotten an easy start in life and that they have been building on that this entire time.   Why don't we talk honestly about money more often?!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1106 on: July 23, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
I had assumed, based on background, appearance and other superficial or stereotypical things that this person came from an upper middle class family and had gotten an easy start in life and that they have been building on that this entire time.   Why don't we talk honestly about money more often?!

I had the opposite experience this week with an admittedly spendy colleague who always complains about how he will never be able to buy a house.

Migrant family, parents on the pension, and I figured money had always been tight.

Nope, his parents won more than $1 million in a lottery about 15 years ago, and spent and gambled the lot.

This explains the note of resentment he has when he talks about his parents and money. I would be seething.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #1107 on: July 24, 2019, 07:58:23 AM »

Umm ... I know a lot of people like this.  Parents pay summer camp, parents pay daycare, parents pay vacations, parents paid for college, parents paid for grad school, parents paid for wedding, honeymoon, downpayment, house, car.  Parents paying daily living expenses is more unusual but definitely something I've seen.  This is extremely common in my community, people want their kids to have the best of everything and usually the parents can afford it.  Not my situation and it can make a normal person making a respectable salary feel crazy poor.

I've seen this as well and cannot figure out the end-game for the parents.  What do they expect to happen once they are no longer around?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1108 on: July 24, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »

I've seen this as well and cannot figure out the end-game for the parents.  What do they expect to happen once they are no longer around?

That's a really good question. But you know, I know/see a lot of parents who parent by buying/giving their kids things/experiences, etc., with basically no end-game in mind at all. They seem to focus on providing for the kids' immediate wants, with no thought at all to whether their actions will help or hinder their children ever becoming adults who can stand on their own two feet and make good decisions. Part of it might just be exhaustion (like, sticking them in front of a screen all the time and feeding them with fast food because it takes more time to give them healthy activities and food). I don't know. But it's depressing as hell to watch people with their kids and feel pretty sure they're not teaching them any good life lessons.

A lot of those kids probably grow up to be the adults who are still taking handouts from their parents into their 30s, 40s, and beyond.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1109 on: July 24, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »

That's a really good question. But you know, I know/see a lot of parents who parent by buying/giving their kids things/experiences, etc., with basically no end-game in mind at all. They seem to focus on providing for the kids' immediate wants, with no thought at all to whether their actions will help or hinder their children ever becoming adults who can stand on their own two feet and make good decisions. Part of it might just be exhaustion (like, sticking them in front of a screen all the time and feeding them with fast food because it takes more time to give them healthy activities and food). I don't know. But it's depressing as hell to watch people with their kids and feel pretty sure they're not teaching them any good life lessons.

A lot of those kids probably grow up to be the adults who are still taking handouts from their parents into their 30s, 40s, and beyond.

I've listened to parents  like this talk among themselves.  It's all "happiness, happiness, happiness".  They view their job as a parent to give their kids what they want so they will be happy.

I tell them I view my job as a parent is to raise someone so they are a worthwhile adult who is kind,  thoughtful, knowledgeable, considerate, and able to take care of themselves and their spouse and children.

Those other parents do not do not DO NOT want to hear that.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1110 on: July 24, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »

I've listened to parents  like this talk among themselves.  It's all "happiness, happiness, happiness".  They view their job as a parent to give their kids what they want so they will be happy.

I tell them I view my job as a parent is to raise someone so they are a worthwhile adult who is kind,  thoughtful, knowledgeable, considerate, and able to take care of themselves and their spouse and children.

My husband can be like that if he's not kept in check.  My son told him last night that "it turns out buying [Ninja Turtle Toy] didn't make him happy after all."  I feel bad because my kiddo's having a not great summer (being picked on at daycare), but also proud as hell that he's realizing that stuff <> happiness.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1111 on: July 24, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »

I flat-out tell my kids that my job is to make them into "good grown-ups". "Why do I have to do chores, help with dishes, hang laundry, apologize to my brother?" "Because learning how to do those things now will mean that you know how to do them when you're a grown-up, and they're all part of being a good grown-up."

I also like to tell them stories about college friends whose parents never made them do anything, so when they moved out they didn't know how to do anything. They seem to especially enjoy the story of the guy who didn't know how to do laundry so when he and his gf broke up, he slept on a bare mattress topped with a pile of clothes for MONTHS.

@Sugaree Same with my husband. "Oh, I bought them that with my allowance". WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN ALLOWANCES. THE POINT OF PAYING THE KIDS ALLOWANCE IS SO THAT THEY MANAGE THEIR WANTS RATHER THAN GETTING US TO PAY FOR STUFF.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1112 on: July 24, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »
CW1 “me and my wife both have health savings account plans”
CW2 “oh so you have to put your own money in there?”
CW1 “yeah but we don’t put anything in there”

Note that CW1 is wearing ray bans and drinking a Starbucks Ice coffee at this time

sbagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1113 on: July 24, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
Not overheard at work but all of the comments about having a lot of books reminded me of a funny story.

About eight years ago, friends of ours opened their home as part of an annual neighborhood house tour and they asked me and DH to help in the house as guides, to answer questions, etc.  I was stationed in the second floor hall.  When one woman came up the steps, I pointed out the bedrooms and the bathroom with original clawfoot tub and subway tile.  One of the bedrooms had been turned into an office/library and the walls were lined with full bookshelves.  There was also a filled bookcase in the bathroom.  She took one look in that bedroom and the bathroom, visibly shuddered, and announced loudly that “there are too many books in this house -- and they’re even in the bathroom!!”  I politely said, “Ma’am, there is no such thing as too many books.”  She then informed me that she only owned one book.  I asked her what it was (expecting it to be a bible), and she told me that she reads a book, gets rid of it, and replaces it with one more book.  I just shook my head because I couldn’t comprehend that. 

And then she informed me that she also hated the subway tile in the bathroom.  It was too funny.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1114 on: July 24, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »
Not overheard at work but all of the comments about having a lot of books reminded me of a funny story.

About eight years ago, friends of ours opened their home as part of an annual neighborhood house tour and they asked me and DH to help in the house as guides, to answer questions, etc.  I was stationed in the second floor hall.  When one woman came up the steps, I pointed out the bedrooms and the bathroom with original clawfoot tub and subway tile.  One of the bedrooms had been turned into an office/library and the walls were lined with full bookshelves.  There was also a filled bookcase in the bathroom.  She took one look in that bedroom and the bathroom, visibly shuddered, and announced loudly that “there are too many books in this house -- and they’re even in the bathroom!!”  I politely said, “Ma’am, there is no such thing as too many books.”  She then informed me that she only owned one book.  I asked her what it was (expecting it to be a bible), and she told me that she reads a book, gets rid of it, and replaces it with one more book.  I just shook my head because I couldn’t comprehend that. 

And then she informed me that she also hated the subway tile in the bathroom.  It was too funny.

“IF I WANTED TO BE SURROUNDED BY BOOKS ALL DAY I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT JOB AT THE AMAZON WAREHOUSE!”

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1115 on: July 24, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »

Whaaatttt?  I'm GS-12 and we just put my husband through school with an infant in daycare and a mortgage for that salary.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1116 on: July 25, 2019, 06:56:35 AM »

Whaaatttt?  I'm GS-12 and we just put my husband through school with an infant in daycare and a mortgage for that salary.

Exactly. The cost of living adjustment doesn’t quite make up for the difference in the cost of living here but it is still insane. I’m a 13 now but for most of the time when I was a 12 my husband (who is blind) didn’t work and I paid our mortgage and all of our living expenses (albeit on a house that had a 3-4 hour commute to be affordable). Now that we live close to where I work even as a 13 we can’t afford daycare and for him to stay home so he is going to be a stay at home dad.

But to be a GS-12 and not be able to afford your own rent?! I paid 100% of my own rent when I made minimum wage, when I started as a GS-7, etc. I find it despicable.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2019, 07:40:50 AM »

I flat-out tell my kids that my job is to make them into "good grown-ups". "Why do I have to do chores, help with dishes, hang laundry, apologize to my brother?" "Because learning how to do those things now will mean that you know how to do them when you're a grown-up, and they're all part of being a good grown-up."

I also like to tell them stories about college friends whose parents never made them do anything, so when they moved out they didn't know how to do anything. They seem to especially enjoy the story of the guy who didn't know how to do laundry so when he and his gf broke up, he slept on a bare mattress topped with a pile of clothes for MONTHS.

@Sugaree Same with my husband. "Oh, I bought them that with my allowance". WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN ALLOWANCES. THE POINT OF PAYING THE KIDS ALLOWANCE IS SO THAT THEY MANAGE THEIR WANTS RATHER THAN GETTING US TO PAY FOR STUFF.

Absolutely! We tell our kids it is our job to raise responsible adults. And they can't learn everything they need to know 2 weeks before moving out so they better start now. For some reason the 9 year old is convinced that having to help make HIS OWN SANDWICH is a terrible punishment and no kid anywhere else ever has to do this.

I overhear a lot of conversation regarding kids at work and try to add those useful ideas into our home.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »

Absolutely! We tell our kids it is our job to raise responsible adults. And they can't learn everything they need to know 2 weeks before moving out so they better start now. For some reason the 9 year old is convinced that having to help make HIS OWN SANDWICH is a terrible punishment and no kid anywhere else ever has to do this.

I overhear a lot of conversation regarding kids at work and try to add those useful ideas into our home.

Kids with skills are far superior and more mature than kids who don't have them, and they're much nicer to be around. Making a sandwich for yourself is the first step to making a plate of sandwiches to serve the family for lunch, or making breakfast in bed for Mom or Dad on a special day, and a kid who does that just plain lives better than other kids who don't know how to kiss up. Besides (and they will learn this later in life) people with lots of skills have the highest status. They get invited more places and frequently throw the best parties. Sometimes they are just spontaneously offered jobs.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2019, 09:39:07 AM »
Was talking with a coworker yesterday about weight loss, and she mentioned that another mutual coworker had recently bought into the latest fad diet system (you know the kind, they have their own bars, shakes, plans, etc.) and plopped down $300 for a week's worth of snacks/food. His reasoning is the only way he can stick with a diet is if it hurts his wallet... which would be great except for the fact that it hasn't worked for him yet! He's tried accountability bets in the past (lose a certain amount or pay into the pot) which didn't work for him either. Not really surprised because he and his wife are the models of consumerism (gigantic house, F350, quads, golf carts, the list goes on).

The coworker I was talking to was also trying to lose weight, and she mentioned once she hit her target she was going to get her eyebrows microbladed. Have you guys heard of this? I had to Google it after she left, but prices range from $200 to $1000 for the initial treatment, and up to $100/mo for touch ups. Just looked at a local shop - $400 for the initial treatment, $50 touch up 6-8 weeks out. AND they offer 0% financing for six months! What a deal!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1120 on: July 25, 2019, 12:13:13 PM »
Was talking with a coworker yesterday about weight loss, and she mentioned that another mutual coworker had recently bought into the latest fad diet system (you know the kind, they have their own bars, shakes, plans, etc.) and plopped down $300 for a week's worth of snacks/food. His reasoning is the only way he can stick with a diet is if it hurts his wallet... which would be great except for the fact that it hasn't worked for him yet! He's tried accountability bets in the past (lose a certain amount or pay into the pot) which didn't work for him either. Not really surprised because he and his wife are the models of consumerism (gigantic house, F350, quads, golf carts, the list goes on).

The coworker I was talking to was also trying to lose weight, and she mentioned once she hit her target she was going to get her eyebrows microbladed. Have you guys heard of this? I had to Google it after she left, but prices range from $200 to $1000 for the initial treatment, and up to $100/mo for touch ups. Just looked at a local shop - $400 for the initial treatment, $50 touch up 6-8 weeks out. AND they offer 0% financing for six months! What a deal!

Let me see if I got this right.   Usually we make fun of consumer suckers because they buy depreciating assets that cost money instead of grow in value.

But this "investment in yourself" requires you to keep paying in order keep that investment from growing!

Damn, if I could just run a stock brokerage on those terms!   I would be rolling in dough!

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #1121 on: July 25, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »

Yeah, all you have to do is google microblade fails and you will NEVER consider doing that.  *shudder*  I really don't get people who waste money on stupid vanity stuff.   

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1122 on: July 25, 2019, 01:24:31 PM »
My sister and I paid for microblading for my mom when she went through cancer treatment and all her hair fell out. She wasn't bothered as much about going bald, but the loss of her eyebrows really hit her hard. I would happily spend that money again to provide her some comfort during a truly awful time.
That is sweet of you and your sister

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1123 on: July 25, 2019, 01:45:02 PM »

...Or unloading the dishwasher!!! Heavens!

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1124 on: July 25, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
My sister and I paid for microblading for my mom when she went through cancer treatment and all her hair fell out. She wasn't bothered as much about going bald, but the loss of her eyebrows really hit her hard. I would happily spend that money again to provide her some comfort during a truly awful time.
That is sweet of you and your sister

Agreed! Definitely different from rewarding yourself for dropping a few pounds, though.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1125 on: July 25, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »

Yeah, all you have to do is google microblade fails and you will NEVER consider doing that.  *shudder*  I really don't get people who waste money on stupid vanity stuff.

Ha, I did that! Oh man, that's some pretty horrific shit right there...

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1126 on: July 25, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »
Man.... we have maturity related alopecia of the eyebrows in my family... my mom has had basically none since she was about 50. Always has to "put on her eyebrows" before we ever go anywhere.. haha. Used to tease her about that when I was young.

Growing old is a bitch.

I use a girly type rogaine on mine now that they are falling out too. I desperately would love microblading so I don't have to pay so much to keep my eyebrows on... but as mentioned... too many fails out there on the interwebz and I'm too scared to get it done. So now I pay $75 every month or two for a tiny tube of goo so I have eyebrows.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1127 on: July 26, 2019, 12:06:00 AM »
I remember my mom has done regular eyebrow tattooing (not microblading) in Asia before, and it turned out pretty well. Didn't cost very much either. Anybody interested and maybe planning travel to an Asian country should look into it. I'd imagine the skill level in places like Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and China might even be better than many places in North America.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1128 on: July 26, 2019, 06:27:01 AM »
Man.... we have maturity related alopecia of the eyebrows in my family... my mom has had basically none since she was about 50. Always has to "put on her eyebrows" before we ever go anywhere.. haha. Used to tease her about that when I was young.

Growing old is a bitch.

I use a girly type rogaine on mine now that they are falling out too. I desperately would love microblading so I don't have to pay so much to keep my eyebrows on... but as mentioned... too many fails out there on the interwebz and I'm too scared to get it done. So now I pay $75 every month or two for a tiny tube of goo so I have eyebrows.

Yes, it is. We have the same problem in my family. My mom just wears long bangs that hide her (lack of) eyebrows, but I have curlier hair and bangs are a disaster. At 41, I still have enough hair that I can fill in with pencil; it’s my only must-wear cosmetic. I really need to look into the eyebrow goo.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1129 on: July 26, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »
My office wall is a partition (doesn't go to ceiling). I can hear my neighbor snapping her gum ALL. DAY. LONG.

Today, she's snorting back snot due to a cold, but I get a break.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #1130 on: July 26, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
My office wall is a partition (doesn't go to ceiling). I can hear my neighbor snapping her gum ALL. DAY. LONG.

I don't know, man, you could just quit.... Sounds better than having to hear that every day.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1131 on: July 26, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »

Growing old is a bitch.

Yes, it is. We have the same problem in my family. My mom just wears long bangs that hide her (lack of) eyebrows, but I have curlier hair and bangs are a disaster. At 41, I still have enough hair that I can fill in with pencil; it’s my only must-wear cosmetic. I really need to look into the eyebrow goo.

Sympathies with ya my eyebrowless sister.

Neubrow. It's magical. It takes about 2 weeks for results to show up, but it's legit. Take befores and afters to convince yourself.

I've been thinking of getting literal Rogaine for men or for beards or something. I bet it's the exact same thing for a quarter of the price.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1132 on: July 26, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »

Growing old is a bitch.

I have a friend who seriously over-plucked her brows for years so that now she barely has anything, and it's taking a really long time to grow them back because the follicles are so traumatized. She uses a product like this. Just sharing it in case you haven't seen it.

http://tatbrow.com/buy?fbclid=IwAR0KWMRs8DXu81y0Arztx1UAehthzGRbOqoywipGSqfPg-4z1ncAR5hyh3w

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1133 on: July 26, 2019, 10:30:18 AM »

I don't know, man, you could just quit.... Sounds better than having to hear that every day.

There is also sweet death. Let's not rule that out.

The other day she left her cell phone on her desk and the ringtone was full blast. It initially sounded like a gospel tune, but then went another way with the lyrics "fuck ya niggas and all ya bitches."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:01:00 AM by A Fella from Stella »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1134 on: July 26, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
Wait they make rogain for beards?  And it works?  Cause my knuckles aren’t as hairy as I’d like them to be and I’m tired of microblading them

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #1135 on: July 27, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »

I made my kid start taking his laundry to the laundromat when he was 12. I did the laundry at the laundromat and gave it to him to put away and it just ended up on the floor for me to wash the following week. Fast forward 25 years - he now does the laundry for himself, his wife, his daughter, his MIL and GrandMIL because he thinks he does it best.

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1136 on: July 27, 2019, 06:47:39 PM »
Context: I work in a medium-pay frontline service job in a HCOL city.

I have a colleague in his mid-30s who frequently complains of the cost of living in Sydney and how impossible it is to buy a house. Recently he was buoyed by the news of a government scheme to allow first home buyers to get a mortgage with a 5% deposit, instead of the usual 10-20% required in the wake of changes in lending standards a couple of years ago. The scheme comes into effect at the beginning of next year.

Anyway he had a minor car accident in his 10 year old car (they are a one car family) and had a new courtesy vehicle to drive around in. So now he's talking about how nice the new car is and how much time he'd save if they had two cars (wouldn't have to drop the partner at work or something like that) whether he should maybe upgrade to something similar, i.e., a 20K+ new car purchase. I gently tried to suggest that if they felt they needed a second car a 'cheapie' might be a good idea.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #1137 on: July 29, 2019, 01:21:16 AM »
My 5 year old already complains she hates chores. Yup even taking things out of her bag. Hoping to show her the value of work so she can be a lady of leisure with her own means but it’s a rocky start.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1138 on: July 29, 2019, 07:03:51 AM »
Context: I work in a medium-pay frontline service job in a HCOL city.

I have a colleague in his mid-30s who frequently complains of the cost of living in Sydney and how impossible it is to buy a house. Recently he was buoyed by the news of a government scheme to allow first home buyers to get a mortgage with a 5% deposit, instead of the usual 10-20% required in the wake of changes in lending standards a couple of years ago. The scheme comes into effect at the beginning of next year.

Anyway he had a minor car accident in his 10 year old car (they are a one car family) and had a new courtesy vehicle to drive around in. So now he's talking about how nice the new car is and how much time he'd save if they had two cars (wouldn't have to drop the partner at work or something like that) whether he should maybe upgrade to something similar, i.e., a 20K+ new car purchase. I gently tried to suggest that if they felt they needed a second car a 'cheapie' might be a good idea.

That's the trap. Add in how much easier it is to get $100k in credit on an array of cards compared to a mortgage, and people wind up going the wrong way really fast.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1139 on: July 29, 2019, 08:24:56 AM »
My 5 year old already complains she hates chores. Yup even taking things out of her bag. Hoping to show her the value of work so she can be a lady of leisure with her own means but it’s a rocky start.
*sigh* Our almost-5-year-old is similar.  It's also harder with her because she's the youngest, and DW and I have recognized that because there isn't a more-needy younger sibling, we haven't placed the same expectations on her as we have on her older siblings.  We're working to correct that.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1140 on: July 29, 2019, 09:03:16 AM »
*sigh* Our almost-5-year-old is similar.  It's also harder with her because she's the youngest, and DW and I have recognized that because there isn't a more-needy younger sibling, we haven't placed the same expectations on her as we have on her older siblings.  We're working to correct that.

My 8 year old gripes about having to do a math page each day. She's the youngest, too.

I find with my youngest I have to dig down deep to have some semblance of the energetic parent I once was.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1141 on: July 29, 2019, 12:10:24 PM »
My oldest is 5 and she has taken to griping about how hard life is and how she always has to do everything. Le Sigh...

I reminder that no, actually she doesn’t do everything, just wait until she becomes a mother.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1142 on: July 29, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
Wife and I are having many conversations with the girl, also 5, now that she understands the whole “Israelites were slaves in Egypt and had to make bricks” part of Exodus.  I think we are getting through the difference between household chores and slavery.  🙂

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1143 on: July 29, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
Our six-year-old is still trying the old “all of my friends are allowed to” or “none of my friends has to” game. He doesn’t yet realize how much parents talk about their kids on private channels such as WhatsApp.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1144 on: July 29, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »

I made my kid start taking his laundry to the laundromat when he was 12. I did the laundry at the laundromat and gave it to him to put away and it just ended up on the floor for me to wash the following week. Fast forward 25 years - he now does the laundry for himself, his wife, his daughter, his MIL and GrandMIL because he thinks he does it best.

Then there is hope after all!!!! ;)

Hate to say it but sometimes these kid gripes last into their teen years... No relief.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:55:53 PM by Just Joe »

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #1145 on: July 29, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »

My 8 year old gripes about having to do a math page each day. She's the youngest, too.

I find with my youngest I have to dig down deep to have some semblance of the energetic parent I once was.

Crud. Mine is an only child! She’s six in September so some things need to start. But not without a debate it seems. She has a point of view and an independent mind that I cherish (I promise).

theskyisblue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1146 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »

I think after all that lift early on in their lives (free education, free early childcare, significant help with housing), the kids are usually pretty well set and they just breeze along.  If they went into low-paying fields, they just keep asking when they need something they can't afford and if they went into high-paying fields, they just build.  Somewhere in their 30s or 40s, their highly-educated grandparents who had kids later in life (for that generation) pass away and leave all of the grandchildren (and their own children) money.  The parents usually have enough -- even after all that -- to meet their own needs and eventually everything gets passed down.

Nice work if you can get it!  I don't begrudge my middle class values but it's hard to be working twice as hard in order to have half as much compared to the people I personally know. Of course, I could get different friends but these are usually nice people who just happen to have been born with upper middle class + grandparents and parents.

theskyisblue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1147 on: July 29, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »

Uh ... I think that belongs in the "get a side gig" thread!  That's pretty good money!

theskyisblue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1148 on: July 29, 2019, 10:47:19 PM »
I had the opposite experience this week with an admittedly spendy colleague who always complains about how he will never be able to buy a house.

Migrant family, parents on the pension, and I figured money had always been tight.

Nope, his parents won more than $1 million in a lottery about 15 years ago, and spent and gambled the lot.

This explains the note of resentment he has when he talks about his parents and money. I would be seething.

Apparently, it's very common for lottery millionaires to lost almost all of that money fairly quickly.  They get targeted by scammers, give in to wants vs. needs, everyone they know asks them for money.  In some communities, you share something good when you get it.  Everyone is going to need to rely on someone else at some point so there isn't the same sense of "This is mine and that is yours and if you run into trouble that is your problem" that middle class families have.  If you happen to get a windfall, you celebrate and invite everyone to celebrate with you, because saving enough to make a difference does not seem possible and you might as well enjoy something when you can because hardship will come soon enough. 

In my DW family, if she happened to come into any money at all (allowance, babysitting), her parents would ask to borrow it and never pay it back.  You'd better believe she learned to spend that money on something she could consume / enjoy immediately real quick. 

When you're talking about big money, like winning the lottery, it's pretty obvious that this is a bad strategy.  But let's take something smaller, like a lottery ticket, which is statistically a really bad idea but which gives a lot of people a feeling of hope.  If someone refuses to buy one lottery ticket a week, he will have saved $52 at the end of the year.  It's good not to waste $50 but it's also not a transformative amount of money to save.  I can understand why someone without great options might choose to buy hope with that $50 even if I would personally never spend it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1149 on: July 30, 2019, 12:01:59 AM »
Our six-year-old is still trying the old “all of my friends are allowed to” or “none of my friends has to” game. He doesn’t yet realize how much parents talk about their kids on private channels such as WhatsApp.

My teen did it too, until about age 17 when I perfected the fine art of saying: "Have their parents call me and explain how they do it and can afford it." I received zero explanatory calls, E-mails, or letters so I decided the "everyone" argument was bullshit.