Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1117386 times)

letsdoit

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #550 on: April 01, 2019, 08:08:25 AM »
acquaintance has 7 TVS,  hubbie bought a $400 LIGHT saber for halloween (for him to use), they bought new SUV,

she got temporary raise for 3 months, and took her infant son and in-laws to LAS Vegas to blow the $

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #551 on: April 01, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »
CW#1: Bought a 45k$ Civic(in Canada) but lamented he couldn't buy winter tires...
This just makes me cringe.
So many people equate 4wd/car type to safety: "I needed to get a 4-wheel-drive vehicle. Now I can go 15mph faster than the speed limit in a snow storm."
Actually, no. You needed to get new tires and learn how to drive. Every car has 4-wheel-brakes.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #552 on: April 01, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »
One word: ganache. Get some in your life immediately.

Thank you for this. I've been needing to find another cake-topper option (I grew up with buttercream, DH likes cream cheese, neither of us like fondant).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #553 on: April 01, 2019, 02:09:08 PM »
CW#1: Bought a 45k$ Civic(in Canada) but lamented he couldn't buy winter tires...
This just makes me cringe.
So many people equate 4wd/car type to safety: "I needed to get a 4-wheel-drive vehicle. Now I can go 15mph faster than the speed limit in a snow storm."
Actually, no. You needed to get new tires and learn how to drive. Every car has 4-wheel-brakes.

Everybody talks about GOING when stopping and steering are the real important parts. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #554 on: April 01, 2019, 02:23:03 PM »
Two of my coworkers who are always complaining about money were talking excitedly in the hallway. One of them had gotten a package and was opening it. It was a pair of Rothys. One coworker was talking about how she's got 2 of them now and is wanting to buy a third pair in a print. That's over $500 in shoes!

Rothy's and Tieks are a big deal around my office - LOTS of women have them. My supervisor says she buys shoes instead of clothes and she has at least 10 pairs of each. Craziness! I dream about having one pair of either one, but I just keep buying the cheap flats from Target instead.
They are popular among my friends, either the spendy ones or those without children.

I wear my old running shoes to work.  I could bust on people for their $125-$250 shoes, and multiple pairs...but I wear through 2 pairs of $120-160 running shoes a year too, so...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #555 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »
That sounds exhausting. And “almost full time” 9-4 stop doesn’t work to allow two parents to have full-time careers. And that is just one kid. Naturally, the other will be on a different schedule with different care at a different location. God forbid one parent has to travel, then the carefully constructed house of cards comes falling down.

I need more sleep. I’m feeling particularly grumpy today. Damn this country.

Well, it does...it just depends on the career, the type of job, and the amount of flexibility.

Some of the camps have before and after care (for extra).  This all means that if you ABSOLUTELY NEED care until 5:30, then you choose a camp with those hours.

But, both my husband and I can work from home from time to time.

So nobody REALLY cares if the schedule looks like this:
Parent A goes to work at 7 and leaves at 3:30 pm to pick up the kids by 4 (that's 8.5 hours...so full time hours)
Parent B drops kids off at camp at 9, and works 9:15 to 6 pm or thereabouts. (again, full time hours)

If my husband travels (I don't travel), then often I don't get to work until 9:15 and then I have to leave at 3:30 pm (this happens during the school year too).  That's only 6 hours - SO, I either work from home for a couple of hours in the morning or at night OR I take PTO.

It's hard to figure out how to face it, until you've faced it.  It's not so bad once you've done it, or you've met other parents with kids in school - there are literally dozens of ways that people juggle their work and camp/ school/ childcare schedules.  I've found that trying to work a full 40 hours when my husband is traveling is just folly.  I get burned out.  So, I take PTO.  That means that 8 or 9 out of 10 times when it's a school holiday, but not a work holiday -  husband takes the holiday.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:02:50 PM by mm1970 »

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #556 on: April 04, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »
Following

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #557 on: April 06, 2019, 06:12:13 AM »
We were having lunch with a group of coworkers and a few of them started complaining about a couple they all know (I don't). Apparantly they are succesful hard working professionals, but they only work short term well paid temp contracts. Then every time they've saved enough money they move out of their rental and sell all of their furniture and travel until their money is gone. Then they find a new place and get new stuff from the thrift store. They didn't have kids and have done this for decades. Everyone seemed shocked about what this would do to their pension, how they were scroungers, how they would never have any certainty in their life. I tried to bring up (closeted mustachian) that it sounded like they were living a good life and certainly didn't harm anyone with their life choices, but everyone else agreed their life can't be meaningful this way and was a very stupid choice that they would regret when they're old.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #558 on: April 06, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »
Imma, that's a tough one to determine without more context. My FIL used to work until he got frustrated, then quit and live off of credit until it ran out, then find another job and slowly pay down his debt. Lather, rinse, repeat. He retired a few years ago without a good idea of his spending and moved to a new location without thoroughly researching COL. Now he needs to keep working at minimum wage jobs and rent out rooms in his house to supplement his meager savings, and he'll never be able to quit.

I could also see that possibly the couple in question saves a large amount of their pay and then travels frugally on what's left. It sounds like a fun life to me, but I'd definitely be doing something like that, because there is some truth in your coworkers' criticism. But they don't really know enough to be criticizing either, I'd guess!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #559 on: April 06, 2019, 07:12:56 AM »
A colleague is moving house soon.

She asked me if I thought she should buy plastic tubs ($8 each) because "they're almost the same price as buying moving boxes" ($4 each).

1. $8 is not "almost the same price" as $4.
2. Paying for plastic tubs or paying for new cardboard boxes are not the only two options. I suggested she could buy second-hand boxes from a moving company, or look online for freebies. I even found a set of 50 moving boxes for free less than 20km from her place. She said it would cost too much in fuel.

I looked at a moving house calculator online. For her size house and level of stuff, it estimated 140 boxes. That would be $1120 worth of plastic tubs.

I just mentioned that we have a heap of spare bubble wrap, packing peanuts, newspaper, etc, in the office if she's interested. "Nah, I'll just buy bubble wrap and butcher paper."

The last 2 times I moved, I got boxes for free, from work or from a neighbour. The first time I bought a pile of el cheapo boxes that were a good bargain.

One issue to consider nowadays with moving boxes, even official ones, are grey silverfish (Ctenolepisma longicaudata). In Norway many houses are now affected with these critters and they come in with carton boxes. They are difficult, if not impossible to remove from your house and your house might not be equally attractive for new buyers.

Some plastic crates can come in super handy, if you want to use them for storage later. We use those boxes for tools, camping gear and some other stuff. But not 140 of them.
I have often went to the grocery store when I needed boxes, apple boxes are good, banana boxes are nice, but you need to fill the hole in the bottom, And there are few others that work well. Lately though, the stores are going to returnable plastic containers that are reusable and probably cheaper in the long run, this is making it harder to get the boxes I want.
 On the plus side, we had a hurricane---, no that's not the plus, in the thousands of piles of trash people threw out, were dozens of Rubbermaid and other brands of plastic containers of all different sizes. I know we picked up at least 60 containers some smaller for my electronics stuff and many, many larger size.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #560 on: April 06, 2019, 09:48:42 AM »
Imma, that's a tough one to determine without more context. My FIL used to work until he got frustrated, then quit and live off of credit until it ran out, then find another job and slowly pay down his debt. Lather, rinse, repeat. He retired a few years ago without a good idea of his spending and moved to a new location without thoroughly researching COL. Now he needs to keep working at minimum wage jobs and rent out rooms in his house to supplement his meager savings, and he'll never be able to quit.

I could also see that possibly the couple in question saves a large amount of their pay and then travels frugally on what's left. It sounds like a fun life to me, but I'd definitely be doing something like that, because there is some truth in your coworkers' criticism. But they don't really know enough to be criticizing either, I'd guess!

That's true as well. No one really knows without having access to their bank accounts. Since they're in our field they likely making quite a lot as consultants during the months they are working. It sounds like they live a frugal life, renting an apartment and getting furniture from the thrift store. But of course if they spend all that's left when travelling they're looking at a lean retirement. We have a state pension, so in the worst case they'll have to live off that (around minimum wage) in old age. I can imagine some people will think that's worth it to live an exciting life now.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #561 on: April 06, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »
We were having lunch with a group of coworkers and a few of them started complaining about a couple they all know (I don't). Apparantly they are succesful hard working professionals, but they only work short term well paid temp contracts. Then every time they've saved enough money they move out of their rental and sell all of their furniture and travel until their money is gone. Then they find a new place and get new stuff from the thrift store. They didn't have kids and have done this for decades. Everyone seemed shocked about what this would do to their pension, how they were scroungers, how they would never have any certainty in their life. I tried to bring up (closeted mustachian) that it sounded like they were living a good life and certainly didn't harm anyone with their life choices, but everyone else agreed their life can't be meaningful this way and was a very stupid choice that they would regret when they're old.

How do they know they travel until their money is gone? Doesn't make sense that they're able to just pick up where they left off and rent when you have no money. For most places (in my experience, anyway), you'll need to have 1st and last month's rent as well as security deposit upfront if your  rental application is approved. It would stand to reason they have some money in the bank, and probably for emergencies, too.

Also, there are ways to travel frugally. Maybe they are visiting places where COL is really low and their money goes further.

katethekitcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #562 on: April 10, 2019, 11:25:29 AM »
Yesterday my manager mentioned how it's impossible to go out for dinner for under $200 for two people. I was legitimately shocked and told him that - AT MINIMUM - that was 4 nice dinners out for a couple. He proceeded very seriously to argue with me and "demonstrate" why it was impossible in an urban area.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #563 on: April 10, 2019, 11:32:33 AM »
Yesterday my manager mentioned how it's impossible to go out for dinner for under $200 for two people. I was legitimately shocked and told him that - AT MINIMUM - that was 4 nice dinners out for a couple. He proceeded very seriously to argue with me and "demonstrate" why it was impossible in an urban area.

IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR US TO ORDER LESS THAN 4 $15 COCKTAILS.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #564 on: April 10, 2019, 01:10:30 PM »
I was out yesterday. 3 people. <45 €.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #565 on: April 10, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »
That's pretty funny. I have friends who do this too.  They love to travel (but they travel on the cheap - think  hostels, etc.)  They met while world traveling.  They dated while world traveling (would meet up for a few months of traveling).  They got married and kept traveling.  They would both work long enough to get itchy, then travel.

They settled down, had a kid, bought a condo.  Took an extended 3 month vacation.  Had a second kid.  Rented out the condo, quit the job, took BOTH kids on a year round world tour (mostly staying cheaply, again - Thailand, other areas of the So Pacific, some areas of China, etc.)  Came back to the condo for kindergarten.  Lasted 3 months - left again on ANOTHER tour. 

Finally came back.  Kid #1 just started kindergarten a year late (common in their school district anyway).  Not sure if Dad's found a job yet, but mom starts up soon (she hasn't worked since kid #1 was born 7 years ago).

TWICE they said "no, we are done doing that kind of travel" and did it again.  I won't be surprised if they do it again.  Save up enough to afford slow travel, then travel.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: April 10, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »
I was out yesterday. 3 people. <45 €.

In my area, sure, it would difficult to have a "full" dinner (appetizer + cocktails, salads, main course + wine, dessert + coffee) at an upscale restaurant for under $200. But I can think of many more casual places where $50 would buy excellent dinners and a couple of drinks for me and husband. We've managed this in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Cleveland, Boston, Chicago, and San Diego in recent years, so it isn't location-dependent. Or we could go more casual and stuff ourselves with very good tacos al pastor for <$20 (which we've also done in both Detroit and San Diego). Saying that it's impossible suggests a major lack of imagination, as well as a severe case of tunnel vision. This person might also be spoiled into food snobbery.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: April 11, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
3 months ago, one of our employees switched off the company health insurance plan because a different private plan was a bit cheaper - because it had no peripheral services or coverage for short-term disability.

Today, PANIC - she needs to be off-work for a few weeks due to health issues. 'I'll lose my car! I'll get evicted!'

... guess that was worth the 40$/month savings, huh.

(I'm trying to sympathize, but... this is the explicit result of a choice you made.)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #568 on: April 11, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »
3 months ago, one of our employees switched off the company health insurance plan because a different private plan was a bit cheaper - because it had no peripheral services or coverage for short-term disability.

Today, PANIC - she needs to be off-work for a few weeks due to health issues. 'I'll lose my car! I'll get evicted!'

... guess that was worth the 40$/month savings, huh.

(I'm trying to sympathize, but... this is the explicit result of a choice you made.)

I can sympathize with the wanting to cut expenses, and the problem with not being able to understanding these complex plans. I don't think you really know how much coverage you have until you have to use it. The brochures and marketing make it sound like you have great coverage, the small print has all the limitations, and exceptions. 

I heard a similar story this morning from a colleague who's son (University grad so not dumb) called his cell phone service provider to get a better/cheaper monthly plan. They offered a new plan which he got and now pays $15 less per month. The next month after he changed he received a $1000 plus invoice from the service provider. Apparently changing the package even though it was with the same service provider for the same contract term triggered the "buy out" at full retail cost of his phone. If he had known that he would not have switched. He is in the process of trying to get this reversed and go back to his original plan. So far he is getting the run around told they are investigating. 

I think he made a bad decision when he picked out the "FREE" IPhone and signed up for a long term contract in person at the service provider store. However, I think it is pretty shady for the service provider to not provide the details or warning that changing the plan would trigger such a large expense. It's one thing to sign a contract in person with the paper in front of you, but just talking on the phone to the company there is no way you can see the small print or know the impacts of what they are offering you unless they tell you.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: April 11, 2019, 04:17:34 PM »
I get what you're saying, but I processed the paperwork for her insurance change, and made sure she knew what wasn't covered with the private plan (and therefore the reason for the cost difference). Her response was "I'm young, I'm not gonna get sick." So... it wasn't ignorance in this case.

Also, I do sympathize with a desire to save money. And when I was 25 and had many months of living expenses in the bank, that was the call I made. But if you're so close to the edge that 2-3 weeks of missed income is an actual crisis, snipping off your own safety net is maybe not the most prudent option.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #570 on: April 11, 2019, 06:53:05 PM »
@katethekitcat, don't leave us in suspense, what did he say to demonstrate the impossibility?!

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2019, 07:48:18 AM »
@katethekitcat, don't leave us in suspense, what did he say to demonstrate the impossibility?!

I had a similar conversation to this with my brother in law once. In some instances he has been open to mustacian ideas and when we visit he usually asks me budget questions. One time I mentioned that our eating out budget for the month was $200 but we usually kept it to around $150. He was floored and tried arguing that one meal eating out for 2 people was $200. My in laws are not fancy people and live in a really rural place, so eating out for them is Buffalo Wild Wings or Chili’s. But, when you have at least 2-3 cocktails or beers per person, plus an appetizer or two plus two main courses plus a desert or two, you are still at $200. Craziness. I pointed out that #1 - we never drink anything but water when we go out and #2 - we tend to eat healthier foods and smaller portions. We can each have a large bowl of pho (we do every Sunday after church) for $19 after tip. 

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #572 on: April 12, 2019, 08:06:14 AM »

I had a similar conversation to this with my brother in law once. In some instances he has been open to mustacian ideas and when we visit he usually asks me budget questions. One time I mentioned that our eating out budget for the month was $200 but we usually kept it to around $150. He was floored and tried arguing that one meal eating out for 2 people was $200. My in laws are not fancy people and live in a really rural place, so eating out for them is Buffalo Wild Wings or Chili’s. But, when you have at least 2-3 cocktails or beers per person, plus an appetizer or two plus two main courses plus a desert or two, you are still at $200. Craziness. I pointed out that #1 - we never drink anything but water when we go out and #2 - we tend to eat healthier foods and smaller portions. We can each have a large bowl of pho (we do every Sunday after church) for $19 after tip.

I can't wrap my head around a $200 dinner for two at a place like Buffalo Wild Wings or Chili’s.  We're going out to dinner tomorrow at a fancy pants steakhouse and will easily spend $200, but it's a mystery shop and the reimbursement is $200.  It would be really difficult for me to justify spending that on my own at any restaurant. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #573 on: April 12, 2019, 08:26:51 AM »

I can't wrap my head around a $200 dinner for two at a place like Buffalo Wild Wings or Chili’s.  We're going out to dinner tomorrow at a fancy pants steakhouse and will easily spend $200, but it's a mystery shop and the reimbursement is $200.  It would be really difficult for me to justify spending that on my own at any restaurant.

My husband and I used to spend roughly 150$CAD on a meal for my birthday (which was also my birthday present - gorgeous restaurant, 6-course meal, amazing food, wine, in a Victorian house near the fireplace in winter (or, if we waited till summer, out in the herb garden)... Basically an excuse to sit and chat over amazing food and wine for the better part of 4 hours (and leave the kids with the in-laws, so a KID-FREE 4 hours of conversation). Let's just say that's not an every weekend kind of dinner, and even then we're nowhere near 200$US

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2019, 10:45:23 AM »
I recently took my team out to dinner after work.  5 adults at a pretty nice German spot.

Two appetizers, two rounds of drinks, 5 meals - $235

I acknowledge it's really easy to spend $200 on dinner for two.

It's also really easy not to.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
That's pretty funny. I have friends who do this too.  They love to travel (but they travel on the cheap - think  hostels, etc.)  They met while world traveling.  They dated while world traveling (would meet up for a few months of traveling).  They got married and kept traveling.  They would both work long enough to get itchy, then travel.

They settled down, had a kid, bought a condo.  Took an extended 3 month vacation.  Had a second kid.  Rented out the condo, quit the job, took BOTH kids on a year round world tour (mostly staying cheaply, again - Thailand, other areas of the So Pacific, some areas of China, etc.)  Came back to the condo for kindergarten.  Lasted 3 months - left again on ANOTHER tour. 

Finally came back.  Kid #1 just started kindergarten a year late (common in their school district anyway).  Not sure if Dad's found a job yet, but mom starts up soon (she hasn't worked since kid #1 was born 7 years ago).

TWICE they said "no, we are done doing that kind of travel" and did it again.  I won't be surprised if they do it again.  Save up enough to afford slow travel, then travel.

I'd love to see their budget and how they do this...

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »
acquaintance has 7 TVS,  hubbie bought a $400 LIGHT saber for halloween (for him to use), they bought new SUV,

she got temporary raise for 3 months, and took her infant son and in-laws to LAS Vegas to blow the $

Seven tvs? How big is their house? I live in a 3-bed, Kitchen + Living room. If I place a tv in each room, that's 5. I guess I could add a tv in the bathroom = 6. Maybe another in the basement?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
Don't forget the deck/porch and the garage. I didn't know that outside deck TVs were a thing for a long time. My brain kept repeating "theft risk" followed by "water damage". I don't know - I guess alot of people leave $350+ stainless steel BBQ grilles outside too.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2019, 03:09:31 PM »
Don't forget the deck/porch and the garage. I didn't know that outside deck TVs were a thing for a long time. My brain kept repeating "theft risk" followed by "water damage". I don't know - I guess alot of people leave $350+ stainless steel BBQ grilles outside too.

Don't they bring in the TV when not using it?

I leave my bbq outside year round in Canada. Tough as nails, that thing. (was way less than $350, too)

debtfreejess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #579 on: April 12, 2019, 04:01:19 PM »
I just started a new job (yay!). The folks in the office have been awesome and nice, but not particularly mustachian.

1. Most people drive to work (except two people on my team and myself) despite the fact that it sits on top of an incredibly convenient subway system and is located in the most congested part of the city, traffic-wise.
2. Almost no one actually brings their lunch to work. In an office of about 50, I think I’ve only seen five of us in the break room eating food from home.
3. The first couple of times my boss saw me with my lunch, he started laughing uncontrollably. When I made the comment that I’ve got a mortgage to pay, he joked that he was getting foreclosed on because of his lunch habit. (I want to stop to say that my boss has been super great and has been nothing but kind and funny to me. I just never had my lunch laughed at before)

On the flip side, the company itself is pretty mustachian. It reimburses everyone who takes the metro for work, pays for part of our gym memberships, and provides a good amount of healthy snacks (fruit, granola bars, trail mix, oatmeal, etc.) And despite the lunch habits, it appears that most of my coworkers are happy to drink the free office coffee instead of visiting the coffee shop in the lobby like other folks on this board, so win some lose some.

Also bummed to learn that I don’t qualify for the match my first year. Still worth it for the $10k pay bump though, haha.

Qwertykid18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #580 on: April 12, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
Co worker has a 700 dollar truck payment and talks about how he’s trying to buy a house currently. He makes 2000 dollars a month. SMH

exterous

• Stubble
« Reply #581 on: April 12, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
We have a work "for sale" email distribution list. Sometimes has some great deals like the free leaf blower I got because the guy got tired of using an extension cord and bought a battery powered one.

Sometimes wedding rings and engagement rings show up on it too..

But the one that blew me away recently was the one for a used refrigerator for $2400. Seeing it was a standard size I read on, shocked and fascinated. Apparently it's was $4000 new. They say it has "all the bells and whistles" but didn't seem particularly flashy except a little excessively doored. (French door with two bottom drawers ).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:28:18 PM by exterous »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #582 on: April 12, 2019, 11:12:50 PM »
Oh I've finally got one!  My wife's union has been out of contract for a couple years, so she hasn't gotten even a COL raise since negotiations started.  I personally think that sucks, and is a bit ridiculous.  But one of her coworkers sent an email to the CEO and everyone else complaining that she is looking for other jobs and moonlighting because she can't afford anything.  She sent a detailed chart showing how her out-of-pocket healthcare expenses have gone from around 2% of income to 6% over the last decade.  Without commenting on whether 6% is too much, a quick google tells me that the average in the US is around 15%.  And this lady makes 2-3x the average household income in our county.  And apparently she just moved to San Francisco from the suburbs.  So while I do wish the employer was doing the right thing, the whole tone of the email came off incredibly spoiled and out of touch.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #583 on: April 14, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
We have a work "for sale" email distribution list. Sometimes has some great deals like the free leaf blower I got because the guy got tired of using an extension cord and bought a battery powered one.

Sometimes wedding rings and engagement rings show up on it too..

But the one that blew me away recently was the one for a used refrigerator for $2400. Seeing it was a standard size I read on, shocked and fascinated. Apparently it's was $4000 new. They say it has "all the bells and whistles" but didn't seem particularly flashy except a little excessively doored. (French door with two bottom drawers ).

I can only wonder what they replaced it with assuming this was part of an upgrade. .
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:42:51 AM by Just Joe »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #584 on: April 14, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »

Our most recent rental came with a fancy refrigerator.   I opened it up and was completely startled because I thought I had broken the door!

The door handle has a special feature.  If you grip it one way it door opens normally.  If you grip it a different way, the door opens but the shelves "attached" to the door stay in place.   Never seen that before! 

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #585 on: April 14, 2019, 06:24:36 PM »
  **Co worker has a 700 dollar truck payment and talks about how he’s trying to buy a house currently. He makes 2000 dollars a month. SMH **

Ha ha, when i had a car payment like that , i called it my "Second Mortgage" . But the bright spot was I had already purchased a house [payment] before buying the vehicle.
   You may want to tell your co-worker, this is generally a better order in which to finance things.  Roof over your head 1st, then luxuries....

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #586 on: April 14, 2019, 10:08:48 PM »

Our most recent rental came with a fancy refrigerator.   I opened it up and was completely startled because I thought I had broken the door!

The door handle has a special feature.  If you grip it one way it door opens normally.  If you grip it a different way, the door opens but the shelves "attached" to the door stay in place.   Never seen that before!

I’m really into the ones where you knock and a light comes on so you can see what’s inside.  Not to buy for myself, but pretty novel at friends house.  I can only imagine the window is terrible for efficiency

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #587 on: April 15, 2019, 07:09:06 AM »
  **Co worker has a 700 dollar truck payment and talks about how he’s trying to buy a house currently. He makes 2000 dollars a month. SMH **

Ha ha, when i had a car payment like that , i called it my "Second Mortgage" . But the bright spot was I had already purchased a house [payment] before buying the vehicle.
   You may want to tell your co-worker, this is generally a better order in which to finance things.  Roof over your head 1st, then luxuries....

You silly!!!    A big, huge, shiny, MANLY truck ***IS*** a necessity.    How else would his coworkers know he's manly?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #588 on: April 15, 2019, 08:49:33 AM »
The tall Texan household is now into week seven with no car payments, but the tax bill that was due hasn't allowed us to properly enjoy it, yet. I cannot imagine having a $700 one.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #589 on: April 15, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »

You silly!!!    A big, huge, shiny, MANLY truck ***IS*** a necessity.    How else would his coworkers know he's manly?

Maybe a set of those horrid plastic-rubber "truck-Nutz" scrotum things hanging off the back of his used Prius ?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #590 on: April 15, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »

Seven tvs? How big is their house? I live in a 3-bed, Kitchen + Living room. If I place a tv in each room, that's 5. I guess I could add a tv in the bathroom = 6. Maybe another in the basement?
TV en banos is becoming a "feature" in homes being sold in my area.
Need an angry shit: switch to <crazy news channel>
Need a relaxing one: switch to channel showing beautiful landscapes and nature
Sorted!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: April 15, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »

Outdoor TVs are actually a thing - they're expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uiSq6KLhqU

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #592 on: April 15, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
Last year many of my colleagues (and me) were on strike due to proposed changes to our pension. The amount of people who didn't strike for even one day because they couldn't afford to lose even a single day's pay was astonishing. Their choice if they don't want to strike but to be living so close to the bone that you can't afford it for even one day is scary.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #593 on: April 15, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »

I can sympathize with the wanting to cut expenses, and the problem with not being able to understanding these complex plans. I don't think you really know how much coverage you have until you have to use it. The brochures and marketing make it sound like you have great coverage, the small print has all the limitations, and exceptions. 

I heard a similar story this morning from a colleague who's son (University grad so not dumb) called his cell phone service provider to get a better/cheaper monthly plan. They offered a new plan which he got and now pays $15 less per month. The next month after he changed he received a $1000 plus invoice from the service provider. Apparently changing the package even though it was with the same service provider for the same contract term triggered the "buy out" at full retail cost of his phone. If he had known that he would not have switched. He is in the process of trying to get this reversed and go back to his original plan. So far he is getting the run around told they are investigating. 

I think he made a bad decision when he picked out the "FREE" IPhone and signed up for a long term contract in person at the service provider store. However, I think it is pretty shady for the service provider to not provide the details or warning that changing the plan would trigger such a large expense. It's one thing to sign a contract in person with the paper in front of you, but just talking on the phone to the company there is no way you can see the small print or know the impacts of what they are offering you unless they tell you.

I got an update to this one from my co-worker.  Turns out after hours and hours of calling and talking to a bunch of supervisors his son was able to roll-back to his original plan and they reversed the buyout of his phone. They even admitted their mistake ,but didn't offer to doing anything to make up for it other than reinstating the original plan.  He even found out that the new contract they had wrongfully signed him up for was going to give him another new phone (again with a high buyout).  The first solution they offered was he just sell one of the phones himself. They must be able to get away doing this with a number of clients who just give up and stop fighting. I assume this is what happens when a company uses incentives for selling products to their support/call centre staff rather than helping clients. My co-worker and son are going out of their way to tell everyone they know not to do business with this company. Being one of the large Canadian Telco companies I am sure they are not too worried about their customer service levels or profit focused business practices.

Spoiler: show
Bell Canada

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #594 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »
Being one of the large Canadian Telco companies I am sure they are not too worried about their customer service levels or profit focused business practices.

Spoiler: show
Bell Canada

I'm cynical about them all.  When I lost my phone I got no help from my company.   They only cared when I switched providers - too late, I'll check you out when this contract expires in 2 years.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #595 on: April 17, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »
I bring my lunch to work every day in a plastic grocery sack.

Today my boss said, "Here's solon and his homeless lunch bag!" (Meaning, the kind of lunch bag a homeless person would carry.)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #596 on: April 17, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »

Today my boss said, "Here's solon and his homeless lunch bag!" (Meaning, the kind of lunch bag a homeless person would carry.)

I was reusing empty milk bags for my lunch for a while and got the same type of comment. I am now using a reusable fabric bag I had lying around so nobody comments, but if something in my lunch leaks it more of a pain and I can't just throw out my lunch bag like I did in the past. Peer pressure why did I let it affect me?  Keep using your grocery sack Solon!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #597 on: April 17, 2019, 02:31:41 PM »

Hmmmm, I dunno, a plastic bag is kind of sad. I carry my lunch to work in a leather shoulder bag that DW got me for Christmas. My buddy carries his lunch to work in a plastic bag and gives me grief constantly because I wear a "purse." The plastic bag is apparently the masculine option.   

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: April 17, 2019, 04:51:24 PM »

I was reusing empty milk bags for my lunch for a while and got the same type of comment. I am now using a reusable fabric bag I had lying around so nobody comments, but if something in my lunch leaks it more of a pain and I can't just throw out my lunch bag like I did in the past. Peer pressure why did I let it affect me?  Keep using your grocery sack Solon!

Can you line the fabric bag with a milk bag? That way if something leaks you can just throw away the liner bag.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #599 on: April 17, 2019, 05:24:04 PM »
A co-worker was talking about how they might get rid of their one car, since they live in a walk-able area with good transit.

"We would save about $400/month without the car payment or insurance, so we could spend that on whatever we wanted!"

Oh, so close.