Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1117143 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #450 on: February 27, 2019, 03:56:12 PM »
'Cause if one spouse gets a newer car, the other one needs to as well for twice the debt.

At least stagger the payments. Pay off one before buying the second one. 90 miles - wow.

The mental gymnastics required to justify choices like this is always entertaining. We did that once too.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: February 27, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
Couples who debt together stay together!

Wait....

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2019, 07:06:22 AM »
It's a different style of watching, you need to pick what you watch, not just flip channels.

Makes me wonder how much time people waste flipping channels. I prefer to pick the TV series/film/documentary I want to watch.

Go to Prime Video's main screen, select category, select show. Select to play in 4k or HDR if possible, as long as it doesn't cost extra.

No more of the "hey let's see what's on TV today" or looking through TV Guides (on your cable box or online).

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »
CW1: Yes. I have been looking too. It's not fair that [spouse] drives around in a such a nicer car than mine...

And here I am working on my DW trying to get us down to one car between us.

If I sell my car she has threatened to retaliate by not allowing me to use the remaining car (which is hers) for any reason. This would obviously make the proposition impractical. So once my car dies, I just won't replace it. It seems easier, in my thinking, for her to admonish me for selling my car than for not buying a new one. The former is actively aggressive while the latter is passively aggressive.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #454 on: February 28, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
When your car dies replace it with a $1500 wonder. Financially it will like not having a car at all. We have one. Cheap to maintain, presentable, reliable, etc. Just not a popular brand or model. We rarely need a second car but it happens. We drive the cheap one and save the nice one.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #455 on: February 28, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
$1500 wonder

What is a wonder?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
$1500 wonder

What is a wonder?
Sliced bread

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #457 on: February 28, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »

I don't think this car is the "$1500 Wonder" Just Joe was talking about.
I don't think it can be bought for $1500, also not cheap to maintain I am sure the insurance would be really high too! 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #458 on: February 28, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
$1500 wonder

What is a wonder?
Sliced bread
In all fairness, bad sliced bread

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: March 01, 2019, 06:17:24 AM »
When your car dies replace it with a $1500 wonder. Financially it will like not having a car at all. We have one. Cheap to maintain, presentable, reliable, etc. Just not a popular brand or model. We rarely need a second car but it happens. We drive the cheap one and save the nice one.

Well, I admit, that is another reason my wife is winning the argument. My car is a paid-off, older Matrix with paint peeling off the doors. I wanted to sell it to pay down debt. But if you have to keep a car, this is the one.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #460 on: March 01, 2019, 06:48:24 AM »
Give it a paint job. Take it to a community college that teaches autobody. See if they can do a cheap paintjob. You'll prob need to buy the materials. Look for single stage urethane paint. Its the kind of paint that is put on commercial vehicles. Tough, simple and more affordable. I've used it with good results.

Maybe your other half will be more enthusiastic about it b/c it is shiny and tidy. Keep it forever. Or "accidentally" sell it. A paint job might raise the resale value to a point where it really makes sense to sell it in favor of a scooter or ebike and money into your investment accounts.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:18:57 AM by Just Joe »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #461 on: March 03, 2019, 11:15:14 PM »
We have a $1,500 wonder as our second car.  A 2000 Dodge Caravan.  It has a few dents, scratches and stains but it runs like a champ and we wouldn't hesitate driving it across the country on a moment's notice.

I like to say "It is worth more than it is worth."

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #462 on: March 04, 2019, 07:49:26 AM »
That's a great way to define vehicles like that! I like unpopular vehicles. Low resale value but good utility for a long time. Who cares if its resale value at the end of a decade is a little less than a deluxe pizza?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: March 04, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »
My coworker is considering starting a side-hustle/entrepreneurship option. So what's she considering? Right, buying $1200 worth of top-of-the-notch equipment that she doesn't really need for something she's barely thought about yet.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2019, 03:44:26 PM »
My coworker is considering starting a side-hustle/entrepreneurship option. So what's she considering? Right, buying $1200 worth of top-of-the-notch equipment that she doesn't really need for something she's barely thought about yet.

it's easier than doing the work or asking the hard questions

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: March 06, 2019, 06:25:37 AM »
While I was talking with one co-worker about something else (he wanting to buy a house), the others around the lunch table were talking about pensions. We just switched to another pension system, so pensions have gotten some attention lately. One very new co-worker is a lot older than me, I think halfway his 50-ies. I heard him say that he never before bothered to think about his pension. He thought that from now on, maybe he should look into it. I also heard with half an ear that some people talked about pension: I don't see the point of putting aside money for when I'm old. I'd rather use it now.

At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age. Than she needs to transfer the money to Norway while the dollar course is high (preferably).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: March 06, 2019, 07:20:57 AM »
At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age.

Not completely accurate.  Have her google SEPP and 401K to learn how to get the money out of the 401k earlier without penalties. 

Not sure about the Roth details, but I know that some of the Roth money can be removed without penalty.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #467 on: March 06, 2019, 07:27:54 AM »
At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age.

Not completely accurate.  Have her google SEPP and 401K to learn how to get the money out of the 401k earlier without penalties. 

Not sure about the Roth details, but I know that some of the Roth money can be removed without penalty.

I mentioned her to google "Roth backdoor" that is often mentioned on this forum. But I'll tell her to google SEPP as well.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #468 on: March 06, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
While I was talking with one co-worker about something else (he wanting to buy a house), the others around the lunch table were talking about pensions. We just switched to another pension system, so pensions have gotten some attention lately. One very new co-worker is a lot older than me, I think halfway his 50-ies. I heard him say that he never before bothered to think about his pension. He thought that from now on, maybe he should look into it. I also heard with half an ear that some people talked about pension: I don't see the point of putting aside money for when I'm old. I'd rather use it now.

At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age. Than she needs to transfer the money to Norway while the dollar course is high (preferably).

I know how old age in the USA with no savings goes (a person works a job until they can't). How does old age work in Norway without savings?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »

I know how old age in the USA with no savings goes (a person works a job until they can't). How does old age work in Norway without savings?

The minimum state pension (for those who have no, or very low work history) is about $16k/year from age 67. Medical is of course covered, and there is housing assistance and other help available. Life is not luxurious for those with minimum pensions, but they don’t starve. When it is time to move into a home, you pay based on what you can afford. There are very few private care facilities that I know of. Most people use the public ones, regardless of their financial state. No one saves up for that time, or pays for care insurance.

If you have worked 20-30 years, the state pension is enough to live a MMM lifestyle quite comfortably. In addition, both public and private employers are mandated to provide pension savings for their employees.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #470 on: March 06, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
Tell your coworker to read the Norway-USA double tax agreement. They may be surprised... (Specifically: the US can't tax it.)

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #471 on: March 06, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
This one wasn't really overheard, but happened to me directly.

I had a minor issue with my pay cheque where some extra funds were deducted off on 3 pays, $46 per pay.  We were notified in advance, by about 2 weeks this was going to happen, my issue wasn't with the amount (some minor budget issues), but the fact that HR KNEW this would happen for almost a year, and didn't tell anyone until 2 weeks before.  Here is the conversation I had with them:

Me "Hi HR.  I just received notice about these deductions that are going to come off my next 3 pays, it's not really a big deal, but I would have liked to receive more notice so I could have set some money aside to cover this."

HR: "Oh, that would not of been possible, the deductions had to come off of these particular pay cheques, there is no other way for us to do this."

Me: "Yes, but I could have set the $150 aside months ago, had I known, and then just transferred $46 that I saved into my account when I get paid, and it would be like I was getting my normal pay cheque."

HR: *8 seconds of silence while his mind was exploding processing that*  "Yeah, I guess you could have done that."

Me: "If you could just pass that along for next time, that would be great.  Thanks."

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #472 on: March 06, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »
This one wasn't really overheard, but happened to me directly.

I had a minor issue with my pay cheque where some extra funds were deducted off on 3 pays, $46 per pay.  We were notified in advance, by about 2 weeks this was going to happen, my issue wasn't with the amount (some minor budget issues), but the fact that HR KNEW this would happen for almost a year, and didn't tell anyone until 2 weeks before.  Here is the conversation I had with them:

Me "Hi HR.  I just received notice about these deductions that are going to come off my next 3 pays, it's not really a big deal, but I would have liked to receive more notice so I could have set some money aside to cover this."

HR: "Oh, that would not of been possible, the deductions had to come off of these particular pay cheques, there is no other way for us to do this."

Me: "Yes, but I could have set the $150 aside months ago, had I known, and then just transferred $46 that I saved into my account when I get paid, and it would be like I was getting my normal pay cheque."

HR: *8 seconds of silence while his mind was exploding processing that*  "Yeah, I guess you could have done that."

Me: "If you could just pass that along for next time, that would be great.  Thanks."

If anyone with authority has had to do something similar before, there was probably a conscious decision to make the announcement at a time that allowed for minimal bitching and freaking out for HR to deal with.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2019, 03:59:12 AM »
Couldn't get over a co-workers reaction recently when I said I rarely spend money:

CW: "So what, you save all your money????"

Didn't have the heart to tell her that my savings rate is in the 80% - 90% range.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #474 on: March 07, 2019, 04:48:03 AM »
Couldn't get over a co-workers reaction recently when I said I rarely spend money:

CW: "So what, you save all your money????"

Didn't have the heart to tell her that my savings rate is in the 80% - 90% range.

People think the concept of delayed gratification is strange.

I once mention at work that we saved a lot, like 70% of our income last year. A co-worker who heard it said that in that case, I must have really low expenses. He himself has a mortgage and ows a small airplane (flying is his passion). I don't have any of these, so yes.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #475 on: March 07, 2019, 06:56:41 AM »
To a normal person, saving 2/3 of your income must seem cartoonish.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #476 on: March 07, 2019, 07:51:32 AM »

It totally does. I'm MMM-lite - save about 40% - and even that blows people's minds.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: March 07, 2019, 08:03:10 AM »
No joke, I think of myself has half-ass, not bad-ass.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #478 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »

Same here. We save about 35%, which feels downright depressing. We should be able to jack that up to 50% when our kids are all in school and daycare expenses go away.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #479 on: March 07, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »

Given we're around 50% of income going to student loan repayment, ditto. Members on the forms in the 70+% to me are the amazing ones. However, according to normal people I'm sure they would think I was crazy if they saw our budget.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #480 on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »

Same here. We save about 35%, which feels downright depressing. We should be able to jack that up to 50% when our kids are all in school and daycare expenses go away.

I hate to burst your bubble, but after school and summer care have been almost as expensive as daycare. 

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #481 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »

It totally does. I'm MMM-lite - save about 40% - and even that blows people's minds.

I like that expression: MMM-lite.  I'm frequently confused because I'm the most intense saver of anyone I know at about 40% of net income, but then I still do some (carefully considered and planned) spendypants things that I would be embarrassed to admit here.  (Maybe I'm clown-lite too?)

HamsterStache

• Stubble
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »

Those daycare costs really bite, don't they. I haven't calculated our savings rate since it is surely depressingly miniscule - we're barely operating in the black. Really looking forward to the day when daycare costs go away and we can really start making progress.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »

I hate to burst your bubble, but after school and summer care have been almost as expensive as daycare.

YMMV. Full-time care for our preschool kid costs $850/mo. After-school care for our elementary kid costs $150/month, and next year she'll be independent enough to take the bus home and hang out/play while I work from home, so $0/month

Summer care for the elementary kid costs about $700-1000/month, depending on what kind of daycamps we sign up for.

All in all, even if you figure in the other activities the elem. kid does, care for the elementary school kid costs at least $5,000 less per year than the preschooler. I'm very much looking forward to the day when we can sock away those additional funds.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
My oldest starts K later this year and while the  after school program is less than daycare (just barely), I have no f-ing clue what we will do during the summer. Maybe that is when I will throw up my hands in defeat and exit the workforce.

HamsterStache

• Stubble
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »

YMMV. Full-time care for our preschool kid costs $850/mo. After-school care for our elementary kid costs $150/month, and next year she'll be independent enough to take the bus home and hang out/play while I work from home, so $0/month

Summer care for the elementary kid costs about $700-1000/month, depending on what kind of daycamps we sign up for.

All in all, even if you figure in the other activities the elem. kid does, care for the elementary school kid costs at least $5,000 less per year than the preschooler. I'm very much looking forward to the day when we can sock away those additional funds.

Thankfully in our case, DW doesn't work during the summer (school employee) so no need to spend on camp, and when the kids are a bit older, she will probably work at a camp over the summer for extra money (and she really enjoys working at camp) as well as have the kids go there free/discounted, at least for part of the summer.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »
You guys are really making me jealous with your daycare costs. The only daycare option for us costs $1800 per month for the newborn room.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »
CW1: Texas is awesome. They have no income tax.

CW2: Yeah, but they get you in other ways, like with the sales tax.

Me: Yeah, but you can control your sales tax, just don't buy stuff.

CW1: Well, you can't stop spending.

Me: You can spend a lot less than you think you can.

CW1: I think the Astros are going to kick ass this year!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
This morning I was speaking with a big boss from an adjacent org. He talked about how he has to travel a lot for work and isn’t home much for his family, including his daughter who is a senior in HS. She is into journalism and met certain expectations they set for her, so they rewarded her good behavior/achievements by giving her a good camera. That cost $2k.

I found it sad that he was in a position of buying his daughter stuff instead of being able to spend more time with her. This especially hit close to home for me as I was a big daddy’s girl when I was a kid.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2019, 03:29:23 PM »

YMMV, but my after school/ summer care is about half of daycare, maybe a little less.  (Kid 1: $10k to $4500/yr.  Kid 2, 6 years later: $15k to $6500/yr.)

I don't, however, go for the really expensive summer camps.  We aim for full day basic camps for most of the summer.  If you fill your summer with labor intensive camps (swimming, surfing, sports, nature camps, etc. that require a high ratio of adults to students, plus bus expenses, etc... that's different.  Or if you piece together 2 half day camps.  We usually have 2-4 "fun" more expensive camps.  The rest are basic and are $200/week or less.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
My oldest starts K later this year and while the  after school program is less than daycare (just barely), I have no f-ing clue what we will do during the summer. Maybe that is when I will throw up my hands in defeat and exit the workforce.
millions do it I'm sure.  I think my friends in Mountain View always had a nanny.  There's this:

https://www.bayareakidfun.com/summer-camps-in-the-bay-area/

We've pieced things together.
- Our kinder/1st/2nd grade after school program actually runs for most of the summer (all but a week or two).  Full days.  7:30-5:30 includes food.  About 2x the cost of the after school care.
- For our bigger kid, we had a similar drop in program at the schools that we did for 2-3 years.  That was free.  Budget cuts though - only 2 sites now and there are income limits.
- Nanny.  Once in awhile a friend's daughter would be home from college, looking to pick up dough.
- Summer camps.  These can be very competitive, as in - March 1 the city camps opened, and if you weren't online at 9 am trying to get your slot, you are screwed.  But these generally aren't the ones that we have tried to get.  There are a few very popular, very well priced camps that are almost full day.  9-4.  Those just go really fast.  The more expensive camps are slower to fill up.

So we tended to fill *most* of our summer with lower priced full day camps - the UC camp (run by students) - lots of outdoor time, send sunscreen!  Swimming.  Sports, etc.  Not very educational, but the cheapest around.  About half of the summer was this.  Sometimes we'd throw in a slightly more expensive YMCA camp.
Then we'd fill in with "almost full time camps", 9 to 3 pm.  Lego camps, programming camps, baseball camp. 

Because we work FT, we aren't often competing with people who want the fun 9-12 noon camps.  Now that big kid is older (almost 13), we can do this.  Last summer, half the summer was just half day sailing or volleyball or programming camps, then he just chilled at home rest of the day.  That's totally doable when those camps are $125-250 per week.  If you have a 6 yo (like my younger kid), and have to fill in both morning and afternoon, then you are getting into $500-600/week territory.  And...no.

Then we usually take 1-2 week vacation of the 10 total weeks.

And yes, every summer I have a "summer camp spreadsheet", with each kid in a separate column, a row for each week, the camp they are in, the hours, the cost, etc.  I call it "Summer Camp Tetris".  Welcome to the fun.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #491 on: March 07, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »
That sounds exhausting. And “almost full time” 9-4 stop doesn’t work to allow two parents to have full-time careers. And that is just one kid. Naturally, the other will be on a different schedule with different care at a different location. God forbid one parent has to travel, then the carefully constructed house of cards comes falling down.

I need more sleep. I’m feeling particularly grumpy today. Damn this country.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #492 on: March 07, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
That sounds exhausting. And “almost full time” 9-4 stop doesn’t work to allow two parents to have full-time careers. And that is just one kid. Naturally, the other will be on a different schedule with different care at a different location. God forbid one parent has to travel, then the carefully constructed house of cards comes falling down.

I need more sleep. I’m feeling particularly grumpy today. Damn this country.

Then that is only if the children are not disabled in anyway.  Add to all that the need for multiple doctor appointments, speech/OT/PT, IEP meetings, etc. etc., etc. and it becomes a nightmare.  Especially if you do not have able-bodied grandparents who are retired, available year round, live near you, you are on good terms with, and are dependable enough to do appointments or school pick ups. My son's disabilities basically prevented me from having a full time career, which has cost us hundreds of thousands dollars over the years.  Other than losing the majority of your assets and going on SSI, there are no programs like paid parental leave, unemployment, short or long term disability, etc. to replace the income lost by caring for a disabled child and many critically ill or severely disabled children cannot go to regular daycare.  I am fortunate to be able to work part time.  Making less money per hour than I did in 2002.  'Merica - the greatest country in the world, amirite?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
I am fortunate to be able to work part time.  Making less money per hour than I did in 2002.  'Merica - the greatest country in the world, amirite?

Well...

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2019, 08:27:01 PM »
You guys are really making me jealous with your daycare costs. The only daycare option for us costs $1800 per month for the newborn room.

I think Au Pairs are cheaper than that!

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2019, 08:31:04 PM »

I think Au Pairs are cheaper than that!

Not in Denver! Everything I’ve seen says between $16-$18 per hour for a full-time nanny. When I nannied 10 years ago I got $14 per hour. There could be cheaper daycares in the area but not that will work for our family. We are currently considering having my husband quit his job and stay at home for at least the first year.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »

Not in Denver! Everything I’ve seen says between $16-$18 per hour for a full-time nanny. When I nannied 10 years ago I got $14 per hour. There could be cheaper daycares in the area but not that will work for our family. We are currently considering having my husband quit his job and stay at home for at least the first year.

You can get an au pair for 18K/year.  8K for the agency and 200/week for the au pair.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2019, 08:49:31 PM »

You can get an au pair for 18K/year.  8K for the agency and 200/week for the au pair.

But they have to live with you and we don't have an extra room. Squeezing in a baby will be hard enough. Thank you for the idea though! I don't want to hijack this thread anymore :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: March 19, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
One of my colleagues is around 60. During the lunch break he was talking about his retirement at the standard age of 67. Another co-worker asked him if he didn't vision retiring at 62, which is a legal option. The older colleague explained that he has a wife who still works and a living mother and MIL. He thinks that if he retires early, they will use him as an errand boy for everything. So he doesn't want to make himself available for that. His mother is 85 and he hopes that she won't live another 10 years. I can actually understand what he says. He lives too close to them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #499 on: March 26, 2019, 07:24:42 AM »
DH dropped these two stories at dinner last night (at home, of course).

Colleague the first is paying $1,000 per month for car insurance. In the last year, he's totalled two vehicles,  his luve-in GF totalled her car and the GF's live-in daughter totalled hers. He totalled his truck by hitting a telephone while pulling out of his very long driveway. He was texting. Presumably the telephone pole was not newly installed.

Colleague the second's spouse is a pill popper. She used through her pregnancy and their six year old is so delayed that she's still in diapers. The wife has had five car accidents in the last 60 days. In the latest one, she sideswiped a guardrail, abandoned the vehicle, then reported it stolen. Colleague is filing for divorce this week. Their poor child.