Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112849 times)

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #900 on: June 10, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing” voltaire

I think medicine has come a long ways since Voltaire.

I'll have pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment

Always double down on eleven

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #901 on: June 11, 2019, 01:06:37 AM »
“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing” voltaire

I think medicine has come a long ways since Voltaire.

I'll have pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment

Always double down on eleven

Money

malachite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's always something...
« Reply #902 on: June 12, 2019, 11:13:41 AM »
Hello, a longtime lurker here.  I had to create an account just to post this. (It isn't exactly from work - but I think it fits the category)

DW and I were walking around the neighborhood last night. A house down the street has a shiny new Jeep SUV parked in front of it. Two ladies walk out of the house:
Lady #1 - "Is that your new Jeep?"
Lady #2 - "Yes, and I got it on a lease, so soon I won't have a car payment."

I was already chuckling internally at the thought of people buying a new Jeep SUV, but then they had to throw the comment about it being a 'leased new Jeep SUV'. Never mind the logic where a lease payment apparently doesn't count as a car payment? I was struggling so hard to hold in comment until we had walked past that I was surprised when my wife actually bursting out laughing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #903 on: June 12, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
Hello, a longtime lurker here.  I had to create an account just to post this. (It isn't exactly from work - but I think it fits the category)

DW and I were walking around the neighborhood last night. A house down the street has a shiny new Jeep SUV parked in front of it. Two ladies walk out of the house:

I was already chuckling internally at the thought of people buying a new Jeep SUV, but then they had to throw the comment about it being a 'leased new Jeep SUV'. Never mind the logic where a lease payment apparently doesn't count as a car payment? I was struggling so hard to hold in comment until we had walked past that I was surprised when my wife actually bursting out laughing.

Welcome to the forum. Nice story. People are idiots.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #904 on: June 12, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »

I have no idea what this even means? Like, in the 3 years when her lease is up, she won't have a car payment? Or maybe she just views leasing a car as renting and so she will just have a "car rental payment" and not a "car payment" :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #905 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »

I have no idea what this even means? Like, in the 3 years when her lease is up, she won't have a car payment? Or maybe she just views leasing a car as renting and so she will just have a "car rental payment" and not a "car payment" :)

I think she probably meant she didn’t have a car loan

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #906 on: June 12, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »

She probably had a car loan for her previous car. But is now selling it and paying off the loan. And gets a lease contract instead.
I think she probably meant she didn’t have a car loan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:49:56 AM by Linea_Norway »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #907 on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:36 AM »
Wow, the only worse thing they could do than taking out a loan for a car is private lease - they will pay almost the same monthly amount and won't even have an asset at the end of the road.

Company leased cars can be something that makes sense from a financial perspective, at least in my country those are usually heavily sponsored by the employer, while refusing a leased car when your position would allow you to get one usually doesn't lead to a higher salary to compensate.

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #908 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:51 AM »

Welcome to the forum. Nice story. People are idiots.

Well yes, in three years you won't have a car payment, because you won't have a car.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #909 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:49 AM »
Still money floating out of the monthly budget!

Oh silly me, a budget? People like that don't have budgets do they? /s

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #910 on: June 17, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
Still money floating out of the monthly budget!

Oh silly me, a budget? People like that don't have budgets do they? /s

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:14:20 AM by dragoncar »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #911 on: June 17, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
Well, in fairness we don’t have a budget. We scoop off as much off the top as we want into our investment accounts first and then spend whatever ends up hitting the checking account after. If we have extra left over then that periodically gets moved over to investments also.

But we have the luxury of plenty of wiggle room between incoming and outgoing. If that weren’t the case then we would be tracking spending more closely.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #912 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:26 PM »
Well, in fairness we don’t have a budget. We scoop off as much off the top as we want into our investment accounts first and then spend whatever ends up hitting the checking account after. If we have extra left over then that periodically gets moved over to investments also.

But we have the luxury of plenty of wiggle room between incoming and outgoing. If that weren’t the case then we would be tracking spending more closely.

@ysette9,  Well said!   Much less bother to do it this way.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #913 on: June 18, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »

We do something similar. Lots left over to save/invest each month b/c we don't do thinks like buy yachts and rides on rocketships. ;)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #914 on: June 19, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »

I tried budgeting.  It didn't work for me at all.  A frugal mindset and mindful spending works much better in my case.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #915 on: June 19, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
We pay wages once a month and one coworker was really happy they'd get paid this Friday instead of next Monday, because 'this time of the month our account is always completely empty, it's all gone'. They didn't tell it as a joke. Coworker was wearing name brand clothes and just last week told all about their upcoming 3 week holiday. I'm always lost for words whenever well paid intelligent people say those kind of things.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #916 on: June 19, 2019, 12:43:06 PM »
We pay wages once a month and one coworker was really happy they'd get paid this Friday instead of next Monday, because 'this time of the month our account is always completely empty, it's all gone'. They didn't tell it as a joke. Coworker was wearing name brand clothes and just last week told all about their upcoming 3 week holiday. I'm always lost for words whenever well paid intelligent people say those kind of things.
Maybe that's their "fun money" account, after their savings and investment accounts have already been fully funded?

...Yeah, I know, but a guy can dream, right? ;)

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #917 on: June 19, 2019, 02:16:44 PM »

I tried budgeting.  It didn't work for me at all.  A frugal mindset and mindful spending works much better in my case.

Yeah, I found when you focus on a monthly budget, it prevents you from being opportunistic.I will prepay for things for credit cards, stock up on good deals, or jump at great value items. Everything is based on the decision of: Am i getting the most value for my money.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #918 on: June 19, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »
Maybe that's their "fun money" account, after their savings and investment accounts have already been fully funded?

...Yeah, I know, but a guy can dream, right? ;)

It could technically mean that yes ;-) I mean my account only has like €80 in it right now - I put everything in savings / investments except for €100 spending money. But somehow I have a gut feeling that 'totally empty' means exactly that...

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #919 on: June 19, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »

Yeah, I found when you focus on a monthly budget, it prevents you from being opportunistic.I will prepay for things for credit cards, stock up on good deals, or jump at great value items. Everything is based on the decision of: Am i getting the most value for my money.

That's why we tracking monthly averages instead of adhering to a monthly budget.  It gets us the info to keep spending in check, but also let's us take advantage of those opportunities.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #920 on: June 20, 2019, 07:29:04 AM »

That's why we tracking monthly averages instead of adhering to a monthly budget.  It gets us the info to keep spending in check, but also let's us take advantage of those opportunities.

Same. We 'budget' in the vague sense and adjust A LOT based on how things go, but we do find it really helpful to look at a monthly average and be like 'do I feel like I'm getting value for this amount?' because sometimes individual purchases seem justifiable or sensible but the total amount is just... no, we gotta approach this differently.

This especially applies if the people in the relationship are not quite on the same page re: spending and saving. My husband is more along the lines of 'we have the money, this is a good deal, let's', and 3 months of 'this is how much we've spent on house maintenance, is this worth it' can be a really good reality check.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #921 on: June 21, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
Co-worker and I were talking about BBQ season and his new grill he bought last year.
Co-worker: "I have the Green egg and just love it"
me: "I heard of them they are quite expensive like a thousand bucks ,but hear that they are great."
Co-worker: "Try over 3 thousand!"
Me: "WTF!"
Co-worker: "I bought it on a payment plan so it was like only $150 a month for two years"

The conversation went on for a while and after I got over the sticker shock of the Green egg, he did convince me it is a great piece of engineering. He went on to tell me about his other cooking tools like his gas grill, and (water cooking) Sous Vide system. He seems to really enjoy cooking so I can't blame him for spending his money on his passion...

I have had my same gas BBQ for 19 years, no way am I planning on buying a $3000 Green egg. The Sous Vide system did sound cool, I could see getting one of those and using it and finishing the on my old grill for prefect cooking.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #922 on: June 21, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
I was in a wedding party and felt bummed I had to skip out on the bachelor party, because we had a big deadline that very weekend. I mentioned to a supervisor that I was thinking of just flying out for a day and catching a redeye back, but decided not to.

"You must be richer than me," she said - 60-years-old and making 2x my pay.

Yeah, maybe, I thought, but didn't say anything.

In a separate conversation I mentioned that another couple I know had a costume party for their wedding. They were married in traditional attire, but emerged at the party like Belle and The Prince. My wife and I managed to get free YoGabbaGabba costumes that were so awesome people thought we were professionals hired with the entertainment.

This manager? She said she'd consider not being friends with people who'd have a costume party.

Geez, lady, (A) lighten up, and (B) keep your comments to yourself.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #923 on: June 21, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
"so you just use your student loan deposits to show you have a steady income. That's how I qualified to get my car in college"

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #924 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
"so you just use your student loan deposits to show you have a steady income. That's how I qualified to get my car in college"

Wow! Stack up your debts using a lower interest rate loan to qualify you for the higher interest rate one. Great way to accelerate your debt load! 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #925 on: June 21, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »

Wow! Stack up your debts using a lower interest rate loan to qualify you for the higher interest rate one. Great way to accelerate your debt load!

It's a debt snowball! The Antiramsey.

Yanisimo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #926 on: June 21, 2019, 02:50:50 PM »
My boss and I were talking about retirement the other day. I know he has a financial advisor because he tried to get me to hire the same guy he uses when I started working. Our conversation:

Me: Do you know how much your financial advisor charges you?
Him: I honestly have no idea. He just deducts the charges from my brokerage account....I check the fees at the end of the year, but I don't know what the % is.
Me: You don't have a ballpark estimate on what he charges you? What do you think would be a fair management fee for him to charge you?
Him: I don't know...5%? That's fair right?
Me:...*goes back to work*

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #927 on: June 21, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
My boss and I were talking about retirement the other day. I know he has a financial advisor because he tried to get me to hire the same guy he uses when I started working. Our conversation:

Him: I honestly have no idea. He just deducts the charges from my brokerage account....I check the fees at the end of the year, but I don't know what the % is.
Me: You don't have a ballpark estimate on what he charges you? What do you think would be a fair management fee for him to charge you?

That's when you jump in and offer to cut his fees IN HALF by managing them for only 2.5% :) You'd be a hero.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #928 on: June 21, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »

It's a debt snowball! The Antiramsey.

Race to the bottom I guess. lol I love that the "Antiramsey" I will attempt to fit that into a conversation this week.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #929 on: June 21, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
A couple days ago DW's coworker asked DW to accompany her to get a tattoo after work, to which she declined. When DW went to work the next day she found out the tattoo was of coworker's new BF's name, of which she's been dating about a month. This coworker has a history of remarkably bad life decisions, so while I'm not surprised, it still makes my head spin.

Quick update - the boyfriend has now decided they need to take a break. Quite the predictable outcome..

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #930 on: June 21, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
A couple days ago DW's coworker asked DW to accompany her to get a tattoo after work, to which she declined. When DW went to work the next day she found out the tattoo was of coworker's new BF's name, of which she's been dating about a month. This coworker has a history of remarkably bad life decisions, so while I'm not surprised, it still makes my head spin.

Quick update - the boyfriend has now decided they need to take a break. Quite the predictable outcome..

Reading this made my brain hurt.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #931 on: June 22, 2019, 01:12:08 AM »

That's when you jump in and offer to cut his fees IN HALF by managing them for only 2.5% :) You'd be a hero.

No, it’s ...5% so that’s like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #932 on: June 22, 2019, 01:15:49 AM »

Reading this made my brain hurt.

Now her possible number of new boyfriends has been reduced to the men with the same name. Let's hope it was a common name.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #933 on: June 22, 2019, 05:40:56 AM »

[/quote

I guess this is the new version of knitting the boyfriend a sweater?

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #934 on: June 22, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »
I was in a wedding party and felt bummed I had to skip out on the bachelor party, because we had a big deadline that very weekend. I mentioned to a supervisor that I was thinking of just flying out for a day and catching a redeye back, but decided not to.

"You must be richer than me," she said - 60-years-old and making 2x my pay.

Yeah, maybe, I thought, but didn't say anything.

Omg I have 3  60(something)-yr-old  coworkers. They all make more than me. The one who makes the most complains the most about how under paid she is. We all do exactly the same job. It drives me up the wall... Not sure what it is about that age. Ppl seem to lose it if they're still working,

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #935 on: June 22, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure that having your significant other's name tattooed on your body automatically dooms the relationship. It may be a universal law.

Can she at least pull a Johnny Depp and have it changed to something else, like when he changed his "Winona Forever" tattoo to "Wino Forever" after he and Ms. Ryder inevitably split?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #936 on: June 22, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that having your significant other's name tattooed on your body automatically dooms the relationship. It may be a universal law.

[/quote]
Completely agree. Please raise your hand if anyone was surprised how this story turned out.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #937 on: June 22, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »

Can she at least pull a Johnny Depp and have it changed to something else, like when he changed his "Winona Forever" tattoo to "Wino Forever" after he and Ms. Ryder inevitably split?

If someone tattooed my name on them after dating them ONE MONTH, I'd be fucking off as well. That's just psycho stalker material.

LibrarianFuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #938 on: June 23, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »
Today, a coworker invited me to go with her to a hip new ice cream shop that just opened up.

They were selling tiny little popsicles with custom toppings for $5.50 each.

My coworker and I had an awkward little interaction where I told her I wasn't going to get anything. I didn't want to seem snooty by telling here there was no way I blowing $5.50 on a popsicle, that I thought it was a ridiculous waste of money. So I acted like none of the popsicles interested me, which only made her ask me many questions about what flavors I liked in order to try to find me a suitable popsicle.

Needless to say, after an awkward exchange, we left without me getting a popsicle. (She got one, though.)

Then we stopped by a boutique, where my coworker selected several handmade items for purchase, spending $50, while I walked around the store, killing time.

This is a coworker who couldn't afford to attend her own out-of-state graduation (she did her degree online) a month ago.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #939 on: June 24, 2019, 06:36:00 AM »
This may only make sense to feds, but a fellow fed told me over the weekend that his TSP is all in G fund because the stock market is too much like gambling.  I don't know if he got bitten in 2008 or if he actually believes that the market is gambling and therefore doesn't do it (he's a preacher on the side).  I bit my tongue, but yikes.  I mean, G fund is a guaranteed return, but only at like 2.4% a year.  I didn't ask, and he didn't volunteer, but I suspect that he's not contributing beyond the 5% to get the match. 

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #940 on: June 24, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »
This may only make sense to feds, but a fellow fed told me over the weekend that his TSP is all in G fund because the stock market is too much like gambling.  I don't know if he got bitten in 2008 or if he actually believes that the market is gambling and therefore doesn't do it (he's a preacher on the side).  I bit my tongue, but yikes.  I mean, G fund is a guaranteed return, but only at like 2.4% a year.  I didn't ask, and he didn't volunteer, but I suspect that he's not contributing beyond the 5% to get the match.
That is painful to hear. Please use the opportunity to make the distinction between individual stocks and TSP index funds and bet. timing the market and just letting it be.  I just can't stay quiet when I hear this.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #941 on: June 24, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »
That is painful to hear. Please use the opportunity to make the distinction between individual stocks and TSP index funds and bet. timing the market and just letting it be.  I just can't stay quiet when I hear this.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Thrift_Savings_Plan

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #942 on: June 24, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Thrift_Savings_Plan

This was even worse with my husband. We started dating when he had just left federal service. I asked him about his TSP and he said he knew nothing about it. He said he had never logged in, never contributed anything, etc. He had the automatic 1% contribution and the agency match on that 1% but he said when he started working they never gave him any information about it at all and he had no idea what it even was. I helped him contact them so we could log in and look and it was a pitiful amount just sitting there in the G-Fund. So much waste. I still don't know if they really didn't tell him anything about it, or if they gave them information and he just didn't pay attention to it. To be fair, he is visually impaired and got hired through a special vocational program for blind/VI workers and they did a lot of shady things like putting them all in terminal GS-05 positions even though he had a 4 year degree and qualified for GS-09; the mentality was "you're blind, you're a GS-05. Luckily he worked hard and applied out of that position and was a GS-09 by the time he quit 5 years later. Unfortunately he was the only one hired through that program that had left the GS-05.

artemidorus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #943 on: June 24, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »

This reminded me of a non-work antimustachian story, I don't want to make a new thread. Apologies for hijacking with this story.

I did exactly what you described - declined a bachelor party (mainly to avoid spending the money), and regretted it. My wife pointed out I was being too frugal since I had much more money than every person going to it (probably combined), and I have the self-control to not gamble. So I missed the first night of the bachelor party, but got a cheap flight to Las Vegas the next morning. Got their location by pretending I was sending a bottle of alcohol to them and showed up as a surprise. Fun experience, and got to stay in a free spare bed because one guy was there on points.

What did I come into after night one? A total financial trainwreck, and no gambling had occurred! To try to save money, they avoided the top-rated strip clubs that charge a cover, opting for one that had no cover and offered a free limo to pick you up, plus lap dances were advertised for $20 instead of $30. If you're going to a strip club no matter what, this seems like a decent cost-saving plan on paper.

Well on the ride, the driver convinces them "IT'S VEGAS BABY," and sells them on bottle service. A bottle costs about what all of them would have combined to in covers at the big time strip clubs. (Good sales pitch, even if the math didn't hold up.) They order two bottles of booze, somewhere around $500-$750 per bottle, before even walking in.

What do they walk into? A ghost town. They're the only customers, and there are 20+ strippers ready and waiting to pounce on the first people that walk in. One enterprising woman homes in on the guy she can tell is the mark, Bill. The two of them disappear for awhile. At the big clubs, the customer-to-worker ratio would be flipped, and they could have blended into a crowd, possibly even having to bribe someone to get a stripper to come over to them. Now they have multiple women all over each of them, one by one talking each guy into buying the bachelor a lap dance as soon as the last one ended, and each guy is essentially bullied into lap dances of their own, or else risk spending the entire night saying "No thank you" on repeat and being met with disdain.

Half an hour into being there, Bill returns. He's standing in front of the ATM with his stripper waiting patiently, intently watching as he inserts not one, not two, but THREE credit cards for cash advances. What happened? Exactly what Chris Rock told you doesn't happen. She didn't ask, just went for it all and he didn't decline, and it cost him maxing out 3 cards. And he didn't even seem very happy about the experience.

Two overpriced bottles of booze, at least 25 lap dances, and one ruined credit score later, they get their wits about them that they're being hosed and leave after only about 90 minutes, but it's cost them a small fortune. One of the boys put one of the bottles on his debit card and immediately gets a call from his wife across the country - he's just spent their rent money and he spends the rest of the weekend muttering, "I am so f---ed." So by the time I show up, no one wants to spend a dime and our time is spent drinking for free in the hotel room, and wandering the strip, watching other people gamble, at best. The final night is spent at a bar that served tap water so we could sit and watch football for free. My biggest expense was just buying my friends drinks because I felt so guilty I had spent almost nothing, even though I could afford it best out of all of them. They're great guys and they really tried in advance to slow the bleed, but Vegas won.

I ran into Bill a year later. He told me he was happy that he was almost done paying off the credit cards from the party. We also speculated it probably cost him more in doctors visits when we got home, but the man had suffered enough so we didn't harass him for details on that.

So if you HAVE to go to Vegas for a bachelor party and do it all - show up a day late, don't gamble (duh), and sell your friends that the pricier strip clubs will actually save them money. Let Bill's sacrifice at least be someone else's gain.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:15:56 PM by artemidorus »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #944 on: June 24, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
OMG. I'm speechless.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: June 24, 2019, 02:18:18 PM »
You just outdid some Hollywood movies... Short of a mike Tyson cameo.

artemidorus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #946 on: June 24, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »
You just outdid some Hollywood movies... Short of a mike Tyson cameo.

That praise is kind, although my storytelling skills are clearly lacking because I forgot a key piece of the story.

The reason I didn't have an update from Bill until a year later is because the groom ended up calling off the wedding. All that money was blown on a bachelor party for a wedding that didn't happen.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #947 on: June 24, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »
Omg, that was just...... Unbelievable.

Maybe I should say unbelievably sad.

And the last bit just made the cherry on top.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #948 on: June 24, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
I think Bill's fiancée got a lucky escape.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #949 on: June 25, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »

This reminded me of a non-work antimustachian story...............

Sir, you are a hero to have shared that story. I sent it to both my friend and my wife, and will likely be sharing with others.