Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 346059 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #450 on: February 26, 2019, 12:56:22 AM »
A colleague is moving house soon.

She asked me if I thought she should buy plastic tubs ($8 each) because "they're almost the same price as buying moving boxes" ($4 each).

1. $8 is not "almost the same price" as $4.
2. Paying for plastic tubs or paying for new cardboard boxes are not the only two options. I suggested she could buy second-hand boxes from a moving company, or look online for freebies. I even found a set of 50 moving boxes for free less than 20km from her place. She said it would cost too much in fuel.

I looked at a moving house calculator online. For her size house and level of stuff, it estimated 140 boxes. That would be $1120 worth of plastic tubs.

I just mentioned that we have a heap of spare bubble wrap, packing peanuts, newspaper, etc, in the office if she's interested. "Nah, I'll just buy bubble wrap and butcher paper."

The last 2 times I moved, I got boxes for free, from work or from a neighbour. The first time I bought a pile of el cheapo boxes that were a good bargain.

One issue to consider nowadays with moving boxes, even official ones, are grey silverfish (Ctenolepisma longicaudata). In Norway many houses are now affected with these critters and they come in with carton boxes. They are difficult, if not impossible to remove from your house and your house might not be equally attractive for new buyers.

Some plastic crates can come in super handy, if you want to use them for storage later. We use those boxes for tools, camping gear and some other stuff. But not 140 of them.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »
Last time we moved we slowly collected cardboard moving boxes from our work. I even asked the janitor who was happy to hand some off to me. Those boxes are nicer than the ones you can buy because they have a nice closing design on the top. The best thing is that my husband packaged them up ten at a time and made a little $ after the move selling then on Craigslist!

Kahooli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: February 26, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »
A colleague is moving house soon.

She asked me if I thought she should buy plastic tubs ($8 each) because "they're almost the same price as buying moving boxes" ($4 each).

1. $8 is not "almost the same price" as $4.
2. Paying for plastic tubs or paying for new cardboard boxes are not the only two options. I suggested she could buy second-hand boxes from a moving company, or look online for freebies. I even found a set of 50 moving boxes for free less than 20km from her place. She said it would cost too much in fuel.

I looked at a moving house calculator online. For her size house and level of stuff, it estimated 140 boxes. That would be $1120 worth of plastic tubs.

I just mentioned that we have a heap of spare bubble wrap, packing peanuts, newspaper, etc, in the office if she's interested. "Nah, I'll just buy bubble wrap and butcher paper."

The last 2 times I moved, I got boxes for free, from work or from a neighbour. The first time I bought a pile of el cheapo boxes that were a good bargain.

One issue to consider nowadays with moving boxes, even official ones, are grey silverfish (Ctenolepisma longicaudata). In Norway many houses are now affected with these critters and they come in with carton boxes. They are difficult, if not impossible to remove from your house and your house might not be equally attractive for new buyers.

Some plastic crates can come in super handy, if you want to use them for storage later. We use those boxes for tools, camping gear and some other stuff. But not 140 of them.
I'll take silverfish over bedbugs any day.
I don't use anything second-hand that I can't sterilize.

bluebelle

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: February 26, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »
Seems like her mind is already made up and she really isn't worrying about the cost of fuel.

Exactly. She wasn't asking for my opinion; she just wanted me to agree with her.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #454 on: February 27, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
HUD, if your dad is older he may watch more tv.  We never had it when raising the kids but have it now in our 60ís.  We watch tv more than we used to when working. We pay 200 for cable, internet and house phone. If we let the house phone go itís more expensive.
Get a firestick and learn how to load some Apps on it. (use youtube videos)
Apps aften called APKs on the android (Firestick like boxes.)
You will get way more stations than you get on cable.
I pay $45 for my internet (60Mbs) and have three Apps.
These three are plenty for us, Mobdro, Cyberflix and PlutoTV,
oh, also have Amazon Prime but only use it occasionally.
 It's a different style of watching, you need to pick what you watch, not just flip channels.
  You'd save $1,800 a year to spend on other things.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: February 27, 2019, 11:56:29 AM »
HUD, if your dad is older he may watch more tv.  We never had it when raising the kids but have it now in our 60ís.  We watch tv more than we used to when working. We pay 200 for cable, internet and house phone. If we let the house phone go itís more expensive.
Get a firestick and learn how to load some Apps on it. (use youtube videos)
Apps aften called APKs on the android (Firestick like boxes.)
You will get way more stations than you get on cable.
I pay $45 for my internet (60Mbs) and have three Apps.
These three are plenty for us, Mobdro, Cyberflix and PlutoTV,
oh, also have Amazon Prime but only use it occasionally.
 It's a different style of watching, you need to pick what you watch, not just flip channels.
  You'd save $1,800 a year to spend on other things.

I've been considering PlutoTV.  How do you like it?

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #456 on: February 27, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
One of my employees... No rent, although I think he recently started paying the electric bill.  No transportation costs.  He lives less than two blocks from work, so he walks.  Still spends every penny he makes, usually on electronics and fast food.  Makes me sad.  At some point his benefactor will pass away and I'm not sure how he'll survive.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #457 on: February 27, 2019, 01:50:40 PM »
... Mobdro, Cyberflix and PlutoTV ...

Would love to hear more about these. Are they free? Where does the content come from? What kind of content is available? Is it legal? Do I need a VPN? Is there a primer somewhere?

Maybe we could start a new thread.

+1

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »

But then she starts telling us about her extended warranty, gap coverage, and how her payments are only $455 a month.

Getting old must throw off a persons frame of reference.
 My first mortgage was $336 a month with a mortgage interest rate of
13.75%, including taxes, insurance, and PMI.

Ya, sorry about the PMI, but not really, I got layed off exactly one month
after the closing, glad I didn't use all my savings on the down payment.
 No, I didn't see the layoff coming.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
Two co-workers were discussing car woes. Both drive cars that are 9 years old. CW1 is thinking about a new car because her spouse bought a (new to them) car and she wants something newer now too. CW2 has a car that over the last few months has been costing a lot of work. I'm sitting at the same table with them at lunch and I have worked with them for years for context as to why I butted into their conversation.

CW1: Did you get your car back [from the mechanic]?
CW2: yes. It's running fine now. But I'm still looking for a new car. I've averaged out our spending over the last 6 months to about $200 per month. That's basically a car payment!
CW1: Yes. I have been looking too. It's not fair that [spouse] drives around in a such a nicer car than mine.
CW2: Cars are so expensive to maintain though. I'm thinking about leasing this time.
CW1: Yeah, I like the peace of mind from a lease.
Me: Leasing is almost never fiscally smart in the long run. Really run those numbers, especially since you have 90+ mile daily commute (roundtrip for CW2). I'd imagine those miles would add up fast.
CW2: Probably, but those miles would be a lot more fun in a brand new car!
CW1: I agree. Can you send me any information you find? I need to convince [spouse]!

While certainly not to this board's standards, I would generally have considered both of these co-workers reasonably fiscally responsible. They drove older cars and usually bring their lunches from home... I hope that research will also telling them leasing is a bad idea, but I got the sense they were looking for information to support a decision already made.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:08:33 PM by hudsoncat »

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2019, 03:56:12 PM »
'Cause if one spouse gets a newer car, the other one needs to as well for twice the debt.

At least stagger the payments. Pay off one before buying the second one. 90 miles - wow.

The mental gymnastics required to justify choices like this is always entertaining. We did that once too.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
Couples who debt together stay together!

Wait....

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #462 on: February 28, 2019, 07:06:22 AM »

Makes me wonder how much time people waste flipping channels. I prefer to pick the TV series/film/documentary I want to watch.

Go to Prime Video's main screen, select category, select show. Select to play in 4k or HDR if possible, as long as it doesn't cost extra.

No more of the "hey let's see what's on TV today" or looking through TV Guides (on your cable box or online).

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #463 on: February 28, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »
CW1: Yes. I have been looking too. It's not fair that [spouse] drives around in a such a nicer car than mine...

And here I am working on my DW trying to get us down to one car between us.

If I sell my car she has threatened to retaliate by not allowing me to use the remaining car (which is hers) for any reason. This would obviously make the proposition impractical. So once my car dies, I just won't replace it. It seems easier, in my thinking, for her to admonish me for selling my car than for not buying a new one. The former is actively aggressive while the latter is passively aggressive.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #464 on: February 28, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
When your car dies replace it with a $1500 wonder. Financially it will like not having a car at all. We have one. Cheap to maintain, presentable, reliable, etc. Just not a popular brand or model. We rarely need a second car but it happens. We drive the cheap one and save the nice one.

techwiz

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #465 on: February 28, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
$1500 wonder

What is a wonder?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #466 on: February 28, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
$1500 wonder

What is a wonder?
Sliced bread

techwiz

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #467 on: February 28, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »

I don't think this car is the "$1500 Wonder" Just Joe was talking about.
I don't think it can be bought for $1500, also not cheap to maintain I am sure the insurance would be really high too! 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #468 on: February 28, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
$1500 wonder

What is a wonder?
Sliced bread
In all fairness, bad sliced bread

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #469 on: March 01, 2019, 06:17:24 AM »
When your car dies replace it with a $1500 wonder. Financially it will like not having a car at all. We have one. Cheap to maintain, presentable, reliable, etc. Just not a popular brand or model. We rarely need a second car but it happens. We drive the cheap one and save the nice one.

Well, I admit, that is another reason my wife is winning the argument. My car is a paid-off, older Matrix with paint peeling off the doors. I wanted to sell it to pay down debt. But if you have to keep a car, this is the one.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #470 on: March 01, 2019, 06:48:24 AM »
Give it a paint job. Take it to a community college that teaches autobody. See if they can do a cheap paintjob. You'll prob need to buy the materials. Look for single stage urethane paint. Its the kind of paint that is put on commercial vehicles. Tough, simple and more affordable. I've used it with good results.

Maybe your other half will be more enthusiastic about it b/c it is shiny and tidy. Keep it forever. Or "accidentally" sell it. A paint job might raise the resale value to a point where it really makes sense to sell it in favor of a scooter or ebike and money into your investment accounts.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:18:57 AM by Just Joe »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #471 on: March 03, 2019, 11:15:14 PM »
We have a $1,500 wonder as our second car.  A 2000 Dodge Caravan.  It has a few dents, scratches and stains but it runs like a champ and we wouldn't hesitate driving it across the country on a moment's notice.

I like to say "It is worth more than it is worth."

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #472 on: March 04, 2019, 07:49:26 AM »
That's a great way to define vehicles like that! I like unpopular vehicles. Low resale value but good utility for a long time. Who cares if its resale value at the end of a decade is a little less than a deluxe pizza?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »
My coworker is considering starting a side-hustle/entrepreneurship option. So what's she considering? Right, buying $1200 worth of top-of-the-notch equipment that she doesn't really need for something she's barely thought about yet.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #474 on: March 05, 2019, 03:44:26 PM »
My coworker is considering starting a side-hustle/entrepreneurship option. So what's she considering? Right, buying $1200 worth of top-of-the-notch equipment that she doesn't really need for something she's barely thought about yet.

it's easier than doing the work or asking the hard questions

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #475 on: March 06, 2019, 06:25:37 AM »
While I was talking with one co-worker about something else (he wanting to buy a house), the others around the lunch table were talking about pensions. We just switched to another pension system, so pensions have gotten some attention lately. One very new co-worker is a lot older than me, I think halfway his 50-ies. I heard him say that he never before bothered to think about his pension. He thought that from now on, maybe he should look into it. I also heard with half an ear that some people talked about pension: I don't see the point of putting aside money for when I'm old. I'd rather use it now.

At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age. Than she needs to transfer the money to Norway while the dollar course is high (preferably).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #476 on: March 06, 2019, 07:20:57 AM »
At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age.

Not completely accurate.  Have her google SEPP and 401K to learn how to get the money out of the 401k earlier without penalties. 

Not sure about the Roth details, but I know that some of the Roth money can be removed without penalty.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: March 06, 2019, 07:27:54 AM »
At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age.

Not completely accurate.  Have her google SEPP and 401K to learn how to get the money out of the 401k earlier without penalties. 

Not sure about the Roth details, but I know that some of the Roth money can be removed without penalty.

I mentioned her to google "Roth backdoor" that is often mentioned on this forum. But I'll tell her to google SEPP as well.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
While I was talking with one co-worker about something else (he wanting to buy a house), the others around the lunch table were talking about pensions. We just switched to another pension system, so pensions have gotten some attention lately. One very new co-worker is a lot older than me, I think halfway his 50-ies. I heard him say that he never before bothered to think about his pension. He thought that from now on, maybe he should look into it. I also heard with half an ear that some people talked about pension: I don't see the point of putting aside money for when I'm old. I'd rather use it now.

At least I have one sensible co-worker. She worked in the USA for a couple of years. She mentioned that the has both a 401 and a Roth and said she couldn't touch it without penalties until a certain age. Than she needs to transfer the money to Norway while the dollar course is high (preferably).

I know how old age in the USA with no savings goes (a person works a job until they can't). How does old age work in Norway without savings?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: March 06, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »

I know how old age in the USA with no savings goes (a person works a job until they can't). How does old age work in Norway without savings?

The minimum state pension (for those who have no, or very low work history) is about $16k/year from age 67. Medical is of course covered, and there is housing assistance and other help available. Life is not luxurious for those with minimum pensions, but they donít starve. When it is time to move into a home, you pay based on what you can afford. There are very few private care facilities that I know of. Most people use the public ones, regardless of their financial state. No one saves up for that time, or pays for care insurance.

If you have worked 20-30 years, the state pension is enough to live a MMM lifestyle quite comfortably. In addition, both public and private employers are mandated to provide pension savings for their employees.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
Tell your coworker to read the Norway-USA double tax agreement. They may be surprised... (Specifically: the US can't tax it.)

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
    • The Fake Cheap
« Reply #481 on: March 06, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
This one wasn't really overheard, but happened to me directly.

I had a minor issue with my pay cheque where some extra funds were deducted off on 3 pays, $46 per pay.  We were notified in advance, by about 2 weeks this was going to happen, my issue wasn't with the amount (some minor budget issues), but the fact that HR KNEW this would happen for almost a year, and didn't tell anyone until 2 weeks before.  Here is the conversation I had with them:

Me "Hi HR.  I just received notice about these deductions that are going to come off my next 3 pays, it's not really a big deal, but I would have liked to receive more notice so I could have set some money aside to cover this."

HR: "Oh, that would not of been possible, the deductions had to come off of these particular pay cheques, there is no other way for us to do this."

Me: "Yes, but I could have set the $150 aside months ago, had I known, and then just transferred $46 that I saved into my account when I get paid, and it would be like I was getting my normal pay cheque."

HR: *8 seconds of silence while his mind was exploding processing that*  "Yeah, I guess you could have done that."

Me: "If you could just pass that along for next time, that would be great.  Thanks."

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: March 06, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »
This one wasn't really overheard, but happened to me directly.

I had a minor issue with my pay cheque where some extra funds were deducted off on 3 pays, $46 per pay.  We were notified in advance, by about 2 weeks this was going to happen, my issue wasn't with the amount (some minor budget issues), but the fact that HR KNEW this would happen for almost a year, and didn't tell anyone until 2 weeks before.  Here is the conversation I had with them:

Me "Hi HR.  I just received notice about these deductions that are going to come off my next 3 pays, it's not really a big deal, but I would have liked to receive more notice so I could have set some money aside to cover this."

HR: "Oh, that would not of been possible, the deductions had to come off of these particular pay cheques, there is no other way for us to do this."

Me: "Yes, but I could have set the $150 aside months ago, had I known, and then just transferred $46 that I saved into my account when I get paid, and it would be like I was getting my normal pay cheque."

HR: *8 seconds of silence while his mind was exploding processing that*  "Yeah, I guess you could have done that."

Me: "If you could just pass that along for next time, that would be great.  Thanks."

If anyone with authority has had to do something similar before, there was probably a conscious decision to make the announcement at a time that allowed for minimal bitching and freaking out for HR to deal with.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2019, 03:59:12 AM »
Couldn't get over a co-workers reaction recently when I said I rarely spend money:

CW: "So what, you save all your money????"

Didn't have the heart to tell her that my savings rate is in the 80% - 90% range.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2019, 04:48:03 AM »
Couldn't get over a co-workers reaction recently when I said I rarely spend money:

CW: "So what, you save all your money????"

Didn't have the heart to tell her that my savings rate is in the 80% - 90% range.

People think the concept of delayed gratification is strange.

I once mention at work that we saved a lot, like 70% of our income last year. A co-worker who heard it said that in that case, I must have really low expenses. He himself has a mortgage and ows a small airplane (flying is his passion). I don't have any of these, so yes.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2019, 06:56:41 AM »
To a normal person, saving 2/3 of your income must seem cartoonish.

Jouer

• Bristles
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2019, 07:51:32 AM »

It totally does. I'm MMM-lite - save about 40% - and even that blows people's minds.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2019, 08:03:10 AM »
No joke, I think of myself has half-ass, not bad-ass.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »

Same here. We save about 35%, which feels downright depressing. We should be able to jack that up to 50% when our kids are all in school and daycare expenses go away.

penguintroopers

• Stubble
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »

Given we're around 50% of income going to student loan repayment, ditto. Members on the forms in the 70+% to me are the amazing ones. However, according to normal people I'm sure they would think I was crazy if they saw our budget.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »

Same here. We save about 35%, which feels downright depressing. We should be able to jack that up to 50% when our kids are all in school and daycare expenses go away.

I hate to burst your bubble, but after school and summer care have been almost as expensive as daycare. 

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #491 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »

It totally does. I'm MMM-lite - save about 40% - and even that blows people's minds.

I like that expression: MMM-lite.  I'm frequently confused because I'm the most intense saver of anyone I know at about 40% of net income, but then I still do some (carefully considered and planned) spendypants things that I would be embarrassed to admit here.  (Maybe I'm clown-lite too?)

HamsterStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #492 on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »

Those daycare costs really bite, don't they. I haven't calculated our savings rate since it is surely depressingly miniscule - we're barely operating in the black. Really looking forward to the day when daycare costs go away and we can really start making progress.

tyrannostache

• Stubble
« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »

I hate to burst your bubble, but after school and summer care have been almost as expensive as daycare.

YMMV. Full-time care for our preschool kid costs $850/mo. After-school care for our elementary kid costs $150/month, and next year she'll be independent enough to take the bus home and hang out/play while I work from home, so $0/month

Summer care for the elementary kid costs about $700-1000/month, depending on what kind of daycamps we sign up for.

All in all, even if you figure in the other activities the elem. kid does, care for the elementary school kid costs at least $5,000 less per year than the preschooler. I'm very much looking forward to the day when we can sock away those additional funds.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
My oldest starts K later this year and while the  after school program is less than daycare (just barely), I have no f-ing clue what we will do during the summer. Maybe that is when I will throw up my hands in defeat and exit the workforce.

HamsterStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »

YMMV. Full-time care for our preschool kid costs $850/mo. After-school care for our elementary kid costs $150/month, and next year she'll be independent enough to take the bus home and hang out/play while I work from home, so $0/month

Summer care for the elementary kid costs about $700-1000/month, depending on what kind of daycamps we sign up for.

All in all, even if you figure in the other activities the elem. kid does, care for the elementary school kid costs at least $5,000 less per year than the preschooler. I'm very much looking forward to the day when we can sock away those additional funds.

Thankfully in our case, DW doesn't work during the summer (school employee) so no need to spend on camp, and when the kids are a bit older, she will probably work at a camp over the summer for extra money (and she really enjoys working at camp) as well as have the kids go there free/discounted, at least for part of the summer.

economista

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »
You guys are really making me jealous with your daycare costs. The only daycare option for us costs $1800 per month for the newborn room.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »
CW1: Texas is awesome. They have no income tax.

CW2: Yeah, but they get you in other ways, like with the sales tax.

Me: Yeah, but you can control your sales tax, just don't buy stuff.

CW1: Well, you can't stop spending.

Me: You can spend a lot less than you think you can.

CW1: I think the Astros are going to kick ass this year!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
This morning I was speaking with a big boss from an adjacent org. He talked about how he has to travel a lot for work and isn’t home much for his family, including his daughter who is a senior in HS. She is into journalism and met certain expectations they set for her, so they rewarded her good behavior/achievements by giving her a good camera. That cost $2k.

I found it sad that he was in a position of buying his daughter stuff instead of being able to spend more time with her. This especially hit close to home for me as I was a big daddy’s girl when I was a kid.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2019, 03:29:23 PM »

YMMV, but my after school/ summer care is about half of daycare, maybe a little less.  (Kid 1: $10k to $4500/yr.  Kid 2, 6 years later: $15k to $6500/yr.)

I don't, however, go for the really expensive summer camps.  We aim for full day basic camps for most of the summer.  If you fill your summer with labor intensive camps (swimming, surfing, sports, nature camps, etc. that require a high ratio of adults to students, plus bus expenses, etc... that's different.  Or if you piece together 2 half day camps.  We usually have 2-4 "fun" more expensive camps.  The rest are basic and are $200/week or less.)