Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 929229 times)

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2850 on: October 29, 2020, 05:38:38 AM »

The cigarette lighter in many cars is limited to 15 AMPs. Use more and the fuse will blow. If you tie your inverter directly to the battery, you can get up to (in theory) the alternator's output and still not kill the battery. The alternator in my small SUV is 95 amps.

Ah that's the part I was missing

15 amps is a ton, most households circuits are 15 amps

Very different voltages though

Ah, true

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2851 on: October 29, 2020, 08:59:59 AM »
Seriously - businesses where you live don't accept cash?

I bought ~$10 worth of gasoline once. The clerk was not amused. I was relieved to be rid of all the coins.

This was years before I ever saw a coin machine in a grocery store.

Welcome to Sweden!

Yes, there are restaurants and shops that donít accept cash. Most of the public transportation companies also refuse cash. Here you canít buy a ticket on the buses and on trams you can only buy with a card from a machine. Or through an app. Imagine the hassle I had when I once forgot to charge the batteries on my phone to get a ticket, before I remembered that I could by a ticket with a card on the fram. The airport bus is cash free, which frustrates tourists.  Many banks are also cash free. For parking you need a card in most of the places, I think, or in some places you pay by text message or through an app.

About 2-3 years ago they made a change of the coins and maybe bills also. That resulted in long lines at the food stores as people took their coins for shopping to get rid of them before they turned invalid. I used all my coins during a month or two, when I went to the grocery store close to me for minor purchases, but they had to put a limit on the amount of coins.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:01:52 AM by Plina »

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2852 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
Seriously - businesses where you live don't accept cash?

I bought ~$10 worth of gasoline once. The clerk was not amused. I was relieved to be rid of all the coins.

This was years before I ever saw a coin machine in a grocery store.

Welcome to Sweden!

Yes, there are restaurants and shops that donít accept cash.

But to be fair, most shops and restaurants still take cash in Sweden, even if some have a problem with giving change for a big bill for a small purchase. Public transportation and parking is best done using smartphone apps and vending machine-type deals (including self checkout stores) mostly take card payments. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2853 on: October 29, 2020, 06:05:33 PM »
We took our old Swedish cash with us on trip there last summer only to find that it had ďexpiredĒ. That is so strange. In the US, you could spend cash or coin from 100 years ago and it would still be valid. Of course, itís probably worth far more than its face value as a collectorís item, so spending it wouldnít make much sense, but you could.

That said, we didnít need cash anywhere in Sweden. Card was so much easier. We eventually got some cash in Finland for use at a street fair.  We were able to use it up, but other than that street fair, we probably could have done the whole trip without cash.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2854 on: October 29, 2020, 11:51:28 PM »
We took our old Swedish cash with us on trip there last summer only to find that it had ďexpiredĒ. That is so strange. In the US, you could spend cash or coin from 100 years ago and it would still be valid. Of course, itís probably worth far more than its face value as a collectorís item, so spending it wouldnít make much sense, but you could.

That said, we didnít need cash anywhere in Sweden. Card was so much easier. We eventually got some cash in Finland for use at a street fair.  We were able to use it up, but other than that street fair, we probably could have done the whole trip without cash.

You can get back the value of the expired cash from the central bank minus a fee. If they accept your excuse for having old cash. The change is made to make it more difficult to forge money.

Actually, here you can basically pay with card or digitally through an app even  at the street fairs. Finland is not quite as cashbased yet but I am basically never using cash in Finland. The sellers have realized that they have to have options as people donít have cash. I read last week that the sellers of the magazine for homeless also accept digital payments through an app. They had to make the change because the main response from people were that they donít have cash.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2855 on: October 30, 2020, 12:09:47 AM »
I know what the research says, but I just don't have that pain when spending cash that everyone always talks about.  I suspect that it's because I had my first bank account/checkbook/debit card before I had my first job.  Therefore, when I did start working the money in my account was mine that I'd worked for (and prior to that it was my allowance that had to be stretched out).  If I had cash, it was because of xmas/birthday gifts.  So cash has always felt like extra money to me.  Plus cash just disappears at my house.

Today's work event is that my team lead just announced the impending birth of his first child.  This from the man who has just recently stated that he wasn't having kids.  I was kind of amused by the number of people talking about how he's never going to get to retire now.  And based on what I know of him, they might be right (he's mentioned student loans, credit cards, and a mortgage).  This is going to be quite the shock to him and his wife.

Thinking back this might be why Iím good with imaginary cash.  My allowance as a little kids was kept track of on the family calculator.   I think that way my mom knew where I was spending my money.  If I wanted a Barbie, my mom would let me know if I had enough allowance to buy something.  If I wanted cash to ride my bike to the local confidence store to buy candy, she gave it to me but subtracted it from the calendar.   (Said store was not easy to get to so such rides were planned in advance.)
Quite understandable that there weren't a lot of confidence stores around ;-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2856 on: October 30, 2020, 08:14:16 AM »
I know what the research says, but I just don't have that pain when spending cash that everyone always talks about.  I suspect that it's because I had my first bank account/checkbook/debit card before I had my first job.  Therefore, when I did start working the money in my account was mine that I'd worked for (and prior to that it was my allowance that had to be stretched out).  If I had cash, it was because of xmas/birthday gifts.  So cash has always felt like extra money to me.  Plus cash just disappears at my house.

Today's work event is that my team lead just announced the impending birth of his first child.  This from the man who has just recently stated that he wasn't having kids.  I was kind of amused by the number of people talking about how he's never going to get to retire now.  And based on what I know of him, they might be right (he's mentioned student loans, credit cards, and a mortgage).  This is going to be quite the shock to him and his wife.

Thinking back this might be why Iím good with imaginary cash.  My allowance as a little kids was kept track of on the family calculator.   I think that way my mom knew where I was spending my money.  If I wanted a Barbie, my mom would let me know if I had enough allowance to buy something.  If I wanted cash to ride my bike to the local confidence store to buy candy, she gave it to me but subtracted it from the calendar.   (Said store was not easy to get to so such rides were planned in advance.)
Quite understandable that there weren't a lot of confidence stores around ;-)
Yes, and back in my day, most of them only sold men's goods.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2857 on: October 30, 2020, 08:45:18 AM »

You can get back the value of the expired cash from the central bank minus a fee. If they accept your excuse for having old cash. The change is made to make it more difficult to forge money.

Actually, here you can basically pay with card or digitally through an app even  at the street fairs. Finland is not quite as cashbased yet but I am basically never using cash in Finland. The sellers have realized that they have to have options as people donít have cash. I read last week that the sellers of the magazine for homeless also accept digital payments through an app. They had to make the change because the main response from people were that they donít have cash.

With my luck I'd probably run out of data on my PAYGO phone and be stuck... ;)

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #2858 on: December 03, 2020, 12:20:17 PM »
Heard this from one of my former co-workers who was expressing money woes, "but every time I see the shiny rims on my car, it makes me happy."
That's good. Sell the car, keep the rims, hang them in your living room and be ultra happy.

Nah, just tell them to move to this place so they can see their car. . .
https://www.mvrdv.nl/projects/223/sky-vault-penthouse

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2859 on: December 03, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
As always city life is better when a person is rich... ;)

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2860 on: December 03, 2020, 12:53:17 PM »
Me: "Would you ever consider moving back home eventually or you think you will stay in the states?"
Coworker: "I'll probably stay in the states, but who knows what will happen 30 years from now when I retire"
Me: "......Yeah..... a lot can change in 30 years."

Meanwhile waiting 6 years feels like an eternity. How people even think about retiring in 30+ years is beyond me.

Lorin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2861 on: December 04, 2020, 01:37:07 AM »
PTF

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2862 on: December 04, 2020, 04:01:52 AM »
PTF
just right of the reply button is a button that has the same effect as your PTF ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2863 on: December 04, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
PTF
just right of the reply button is a button that has the same effect as your PTF ;)

It quite the same.  The notify button you can turn off!

scottish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2864 on: December 04, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
Me: "Would you ever consider moving back home eventually or you think you will stay in the states?"
Coworker: "I'll probably stay in the states, but who knows what will happen 30 years from now when I retire"

Meanwhile waiting 6 years feels like an eternity. How people even think about retiring in 30+ years is beyond me.

The first step is finding a job that doesn't suck and you actually enjoy, at least most of the time...

I've been wondering how many FIRE advocates are in jobs that just suck, for one reason or another.     And the rest of them, they just don't find their work fulfilling?    Maybe I should post a poll!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2865 on: December 05, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »

The first step is finding a job that doesn't suck and you actually enjoy, at least most of the time...

I've been wondering how many FIRE advocates are in jobs that just suck, for one reason or another.     And the rest of them, they just don't find their work fulfilling?    Maybe I should post a poll!

My job isnít too bad, Iíve had dozens of jobs and this is definitely the best. Well, I was a snowboard camp counselor for a few years, that was pretty great, but I made something like $25/day for basically 24/7 watching kids. But current job is pretty easy, the pay is good, and my team is wonderful.

But - working seems like a total waste of time, itís not creative or fulfilling. Itís just showing up doing what I need to do to meet deadlines and keep clients happy - and getting a paycheck in exchange. The money is too good to quit and most of the things I want to do donít make much money, like teaching snowboarding for example.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2866 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:20 PM »

That sounds like a fascinating discussion topic.  It'd be interesting to see where people fall on the "how much I enjoy my job vs. how enthusiastic I am about FIRE" graph.

I, for one, really enjoy my job.  It's stimulating, challenging, fulfilling, and has plenty of variety.  I work with great people, and the atmosphere is great.  But I still really really want to FIRE.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2867 on: December 05, 2020, 07:58:39 PM »
I also enjoy what I do. There are definite annoyances, and things I don't like, but overall I'm fairly happy to do what I do in exchange for money. And yes I'm saving and investing (and generally being cheap), but not to the extreme.

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #2868 on: December 05, 2020, 10:56:53 PM »
I hated my job until the pandemic allowed me to start working from home about 2/5 days per week. It's much more tolerable now, especially with 4 years of living expenses stocked up and the knowledge that my boss's boss is pleased with me (despite how I'm unexceptional). The main reason for staying is that the engineering job market recoils from my resume like it's a crucifix; only my current employer was dumb enough to actually hire me.

Passion for FIRE has stabilized around a 62% savings rate or so, not counting what goes into mortgage principal or student loan payments.

To be on-topic, one of my coworkers has referred to retirement as the worst thing that has ever been invented (paraphrased; this comment was months ago). She believes that it's why people decline in old age. But she's about 80 years old and still sharp, so I have no reason to argue.

I have also overheard tales of commute times to my workplace. 40+ minutes is common. To my knowledge, I am the only one who lives in the same city as the office.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2869 on: December 06, 2020, 05:33:14 AM »
To be on-topic, one of my coworkers has referred to retirement as the worst thing that has ever been invented (paraphrased; this comment was months ago). She believes that it's why people decline in old age. But she's about 80 years old and still sharp, so I have no reason to argue.
That's certainly true-ish. But only if you let yourself decline.
Up until retirement people are forced by work to do something (and relax on the weekend). That is so ingrained in most of them that by the time they actually retire, they can't get around their heads that it's not eternal weekend and they can and have to do something.
Of course if they aren't broken in body by work too by that time.

Okinawa is said to be the "island of the 100 year olds". Mostly it's said because of their food. That certainly has it's part, but those 100 year olds are ALL doing something. Many have still been working in the fields in their 80s or doing it even until they die.

Remember that most FIRE people are not saying they want to endlessly relax. Most say they want to be self-determined and that is what ahem... FIREs them up to be early "retirements".
Having to put food on your plate is a great motivator but it seldom allows people to be themselves. (There is a famous story about one writer who rented a typewriter on an hourly base so he had to make sure to use the time as best as he could and wrote whole novels down in the first draft. While the result is astounding, I am quite sure most people are not on that level of skill - or desparation.)

Valley of Plenty

• Stubble
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2870 on: December 07, 2020, 02:15:48 AM »
That's certainly true-ish. But only if you let yourself decline.
Up until retirement people are forced by work to do something (and relax on the weekend). That is so ingrained in most of them that by the time they actually retire, they can't get around their heads that it's not eternal weekend and they can and have to do something.

Remember that most FIRE people are not saying they want to endlessly relax. Most say they want to be self-determined and that is what ahem... FIREs them up to be early "retirements".
Having to put food on your plate is a great motivator but it seldom allows people to be themselves. (There is a famous story about one writer who rented a typewriter on an hourly base so he had to make sure to use the time as best as he could and wrote whole novels down in the first draft. While the result is astounding, I am quite sure most people are not on that level of skill - or desparation.)

Even within the FIRE community, there aren't enough people that get this. I regularly get into disagreements on Facebook within FIRE groups about what constitutes "retired". Just the other week I had to correct people within the Mustachians in Practice group who were saying that MMM "isn't actually retired", because he still runs a blog and does construction work. I of course linked the Internet Retirement Police article from the blog, and asserted that you can absolutely be retired while doing something you love that happens to make you money. I got a response that "by that definition a lot of people would be retired." I could almost hear the loud smack as the person ran face first into the point, and still missed it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2871 on: December 07, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
Listened to a watercooler discussion about guns and ammo. Hard to get ammo these days b/c demand is so high. $1+ per bullet depending.

And guns... Well, first you buy the gun, then you send it away to have custom machining and a paint job done to it, and then you replace about half the parts with custom catalog parts b/c all these things make the gun better - somehow. Its also how you start with a $500 gun and end up with something that costs multiples of that.

I'm making fun of the gun hobby but this really can apply to any hobby. I've watched people do the same with everything - bikes, motorcycles, fishing gear, 4WD vehicles, etc. I've "upgraded" a couple of my things too. Usually only functional upgrades or preservation upgrades (make something old usable and reliable again).

Funny how we can get stuck in those kinds of upgrade traps. 

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2872 on: December 07, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
Listened to a watercooler discussion about guns and ammo. Hard to get ammo these days b/c demand is so high. $1+ per bullet depending.

And guns... Well, first you buy the gun, then you send it away to have custom machining and a paint job done to it, and then you replace about half the parts with custom catalog parts b/c all these things make the gun better - somehow. Its also how you start with a $500 gun and end up with something that costs multiples of that.
Haven't you heard?  AR-15's are like Barbie for Men.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2873 on: December 07, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »

Haha, next time I hear about some new scope or part that is needed for a rifle, I am going to ask if Barbie needs a new dress.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2874 on: December 08, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »
Barbies for men. I like it!

I like to feel that MMM was inoculated us against needless subscriptions and upgrade cycles.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2875 on: December 08, 2020, 01:01:11 PM »

I like to feel that MMM was inoculated us against needless subscriptions and upgrade cycles.

I was browsing around on ebay for a newer iPad, as my current iPad 2 has an iffy home button and a cracked screen.  I just couldn't justify it.  Dang  MMM'ers in my head wouldn't let me.

Listened to a watercooler discussion .....

I'm making fun of the gun hobby but this really can apply to any hobby. I've watched people do the same with everything - bikes, motorcycles, fishing gear, 4WD vehicles, etc. I've "upgraded" a couple of my things too. Usually only functional upgrades or preservation upgrades (make something old usable and reliable again).

Any level of hobby can look ridiculous to those looking on from the outside, especially spouses.

When I was motorcycle racing, people would take a brand new $6000 motorcycle and put 3 grand or more into "upgrades" that were NOT required by the safety rules*.
I was tempted, but I knew the problem was not the bike, it was me.
I had evidence.  I was endurance racing, and had a partner who got on my bike and proceeded to go 15% faster than I did.  Same bike same tires same gas same day same weather etc etc.
This means that in a 10 lap race he would have lapped me at least once.

* When I had a racebike stolen, I bought a used racebike and counted up all the extras that were on it and came up with at least 3 grand.

spartana

• Magnum Stache
  • FIREd at 36 ...sort of.
« Reply #2876 on: December 08, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »

Well us women gun owners just accessorize our AR-15s AND get a new dress! Sometimes they even match ;-).

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2877 on: December 08, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »

I was browsing around on ebay for a newer iPad, as my current iPad 2 has an iffy home button and a cracked screen.  I just couldn't justify it.  Dang  MMM'ers in my head wouldn't let me.

Listened to a watercooler discussion .....

Any level of hobby can look ridiculous to those looking on from the outside, especially spouses.

When I was motorcycle racing, people would take a brand new $6000 motorcycle and put 3 grand or more into "upgrades" that were NOT required by the safety rules*.
I was tempted, but I knew the problem was not the bike, it was me.
I had evidence.  I was endurance racing, and had a partner who got on my bike and proceeded to go 15% faster than I did.  Same bike same tires same gas same day same weather etc etc.
This means that in a 10 lap race he would have lapped me at least once.

* When I had a racebike stolen, I bought a used racebike and counted up all the extras that were on it and came up with at least 3 grand.

About the iPad, if your old ipad is not functioning ok I think it is totally ok to upgrade. I have a 6 years old Ipad that works ok but little slowly. Today, I got a notice that I could not install the latest version of an app due to the system version. I am going to postpone the upgrade a while longer because t is othervise ok.

I saw the same thing when I was doing triathlons. Mostly guys buying light weight bikes and equipment, while the most cost effective thing would have been losing 10 kilos. One of my best moments in a race was when I passed a guy with a tribike and a special aerodynamic helmet with my 2000 dollar roadbike. And let me tell you I am not a fast biker.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2878 on: December 08, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »

That sounds like a fascinating discussion topic.  It'd be interesting to see where people fall on the "how much I enjoy my job vs. how enthusiastic I am about FIRE" graph.

I, for one, really enjoy my job.  It's stimulating, challenging, fulfilling, and has plenty of variety.  I work with great people, and the atmosphere is great.  But I still really really want to FIRE.
I think I am just built to find that every job sucks after approx 2 years.   I don't think it is the actual job, it's me.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2879 on: December 08, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »

Well us women gun owners just accessorize our AR-15s AND get a new dress! Sometimes they even match ;-).
Here you are (attachment) @spartana   ...... and Learn to Paint your rifle / AR15 from Chinese [Bob Ross]   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgD4d-552o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:37:43 PM by markbike528CBX »

spartana

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2880 on: December 09, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »

Here you are (attachment) @spartana   ...... and Learn to Paint your rifle / AR15 from Chinese [Bob Ross]   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgD4d-552o
LOL I actually have a pink hoodie with the Hello Kitty with an assault rifle on it. I don't really wear it (well not too often) but it was a gift. Of course you can buy your Barbie her very own AR-15 too. I wonder if it comes in pink  ;-).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2881 on: December 09, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »
One of the owners of a Hobby Store (The Hobbit) in town used to make uniforms for Barbie dolls and equip them with G.I. Joe guns, knives, etc.   She also gave them a scar, just like G.I. Joe.   

My favorite was Spetznaz Barbie, which we gave as a Christmas present to our daughter in law to go with her collection.

Apparently some lawyer sent them a cease and desist letter. :(   

Valley of Plenty

• Stubble
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2882 on: December 09, 2020, 01:22:51 PM »

LOL I actually have a pink hoodie with the Hello Kitty with an assault rifle on it. I don't really wear it (well not too often) but it was a gift. Of course you can buy your Barbie her very own AR-15 too. I wonder if it comes in pink  ;-).

Whatever the Barbie in that picture is holding, it is most definitely not an AR-15, haha

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2883 on: December 09, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
Whatever the Barbie in that picture is holding, it is most definitely not an AR-15, haha

Some kind of Bullpup, guessing a Tavor or Desert Tech.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2884 on: December 09, 2020, 02:48:13 PM »

Some kind of Bullpup, guessing a Tavor or Desert Tech.
I have no idea--it appears to have a magazine both in the stock and in front of the trigger, so I'm very confused.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2885 on: December 09, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »

I wonder what we should by our five year old. Oh, maybe her own assault rifle!

But if that is for Chinese customers they might be 20 or 30 years old. I think it is interesting that Hello Kitty is so popular among adults in China.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2886 on: December 09, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »

Just in case you're not familiar with it, the "AR" doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle."  It stands for "ArmaLite Rifle"--Armalite is the company that originally developed it.  Generally speaking, the term "assault rifle" only includes weapons capable of automatic fire or burst fire, and the AR-15 doesn't fall into that category.

scottish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2887 on: December 09, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »

Just in case you're not familiar with it, the "AR" doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle."  It stands for "ArmaLite Rifle"--Armalite is the company that originally developed it.  Generally speaking, the term "assault rifle" only includes weapons capable of automatic fire or burst fire, and the AR-15 doesn't fall into that category.

Up here we call that an assault-style rifle because of the large magazine and short barrel length.    The government plays whack-a-mole trying to ban these things.   The manufacturers make minor changes to get around the regulations, then the government changes the regulations.

Of course, there's no valid civilian use for an AR15 in Canada anyway.     I know that's not the case in the US...      :-P

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2888 on: December 09, 2020, 07:31:18 PM »

Iím in law enforcement, we have lots of gun nuts.  I will never be one because Iím not willing to pay $500 plus for one.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2889 on: December 09, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »

Iím in law enforcement, we have lots of gun nuts.  I will never be one because Iím not willing to pay $500 plus for one.

DH had a colleague once who was really, really into guns and spending on guns. But he was like that with everything. Only the most expensive dim sum in town was even worth considering (even the other Chinese people thought he was nuts), new parents shouldn't even consider anything except the top of the line stroller, couldn't understand why anyone would buy a house anywhere except the very best school district....

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2890 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:40 PM »

That picture is nightmare fuel.  Barbie, perfect hair, demonic smile and the EYES....   :-)  You just KNOW some mayhem is going down

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2891 on: December 09, 2020, 09:53:44 PM »

I think I am just built to find that every job sucks after approx 2 years.   I don't think it is the actual job, it's me.

I was the same way.  It's nice to know I'm not alone.

spartana

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2892 on: December 09, 2020, 10:12:09 PM »

Up here we call that an assault-style rifle because of the large magazine and short barrel length.    The government plays whack-a-mole trying to ban these things.   The manufacturers make minor changes to get around the regulations, then the government changes the regulations.

Of course, there's no valid civilian use for an AR15 in Canada anyway.     I know that's not the case in the US...      :-P
I see you are from my home state of CA. As in California ;-). Here EVERYTHING is labeled  "AR-15"  - especially when no one knows what it is. I'm more of an M16 girl myself and think Barbie, who has done everything, has a line of military dolls so no longer needs to borrow from GI Joe.

spartana

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2893 on: December 09, 2020, 10:27:30 PM »

That picture is nightmare fuel.  Barbie, perfect hair, demonic smile and the EYES....   :-)  You just KNOW some mayhem is going down
I see we've met ;-). Although in my case it is probably ALL just mayhem.  In any case ALL Barbies are evil. They're kind of like attractive Chuckies.

I do know a lot of people with several (many!) firearms including myself, my sister, ex-DH and current BF but they (we) all live very simple minimal lifestyle so don't lump all gun owners into the expensive toys and tools and bling crowd. Most have been bought over the years and don't really get upgraded often. Although we're probably rare. I have friends who buy $500 purses and others who buy $500 firearms and both sets of friends are upgrading thing constantly.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:57:17 AM by spartana »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2894 on: December 10, 2020, 04:16:38 AM »

But if that is for Chinese customers they might be 20 or 30 years old. I think it is interesting that Hello Kitty is so popular among adults in China.
Afaik all of Asia is totally into cute. And that is something many western companies have failed to understand (including that adults buy cute stuff).
Famously Barbie had to close down their super hyper Beijing flagship store because they just could manage to sell the "sexy" styled strangely looking Barbie.

Meanwhile Asia goes Saikawa when it comes to cute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9BZy4FD1c

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2895 on: December 10, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »

"Assault-style" is an interesting term.  It at least shows acknowledgement that there's a difference, although I take issue with regulating guns based on appearance/style.  Where does short barrel length come into play?  In the states, "short barrel" is <16 inches.  Is it different up north?

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #2896 on: December 10, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »

"Assault-style" is an interesting term.  It at least shows acknowledgement that there's a difference, although I take issue with regulating guns based on appearance/style.  Where does short barrel length come into play?  In the states, "short barrel" is <16 inches.  Is it different up north?

That seems to be all our gov't does - regulate based on looks. This Spring our federal gov't rammed through an 'order in council' (which bypasses parliamentary debate) to prohibit ownership of hundreds of firearms (black gun = scary = banned) as a knee jerk reaction to a situation that had nothing to do with the firearms they banned.

The Gov't and media continue to use the term assault rifle and assault-style rifle interchangeably to convince the general public believe that assault rifles are in the hands of civilians - never mind that assault rifles have been banned in Canada since the 70s).

Large capacity magazines for semi-auto center fire rifles are pinned to 5 rounds max to be legal. Barrel and total length are regulated b/c, in theory, they cannot be concealed. I suspect that all the criminals are following the licensing and possession regulations ...

I'm going to go back to reading about $$ now :)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2897 on: December 10, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »

I would join the assault rifle style crowd mentioned above. It is not allowed for private ownership here either. I grew up in a household with rifles for hunting and competition and are comfortable with using guns.  Handgun ownership is strictly regulated so either you belong to a shooting club and compete or you are a criminal. You would never see people carrying guns in the street like you see pictures from US.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2898 on: December 10, 2020, 03:21:43 PM »

I would join the assault rifle style crowd mentioned above. It is not allowed for private ownership here either. I grew up in a household with rifles for hunting and competition and are comfortable with using guns.  Handgun ownership is strictly regulated so either you belong to a shooting club and compete or you are a criminal. You would never see people carrying guns in the street like you see pictures from US.
FWIW, open carry is pretty uncommon, hence why it garners attention.  In the 6 years I lived in the Houston Texas area, I only once saw someone other than police openly carrying a firearm.  Now, there are hundreds of thousands of civilians across the country who (legally) carry concealed on a daily basis, but you never see pictures of them, and very rarely hear news stories about them. :)  Very occasionally you have instances where you'll see lots of people carrying openly, e.g. Coeur d'Alene Idaho earlier this year when they heard rumors of less-peaceful protesters coming to town, but that's exceedingly rare.

spartana

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2899 on: December 10, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »

FWIW, open carry is pretty uncommon, hence why it garners attention.  In the 6 years I lived in the Houston Texas area, I only once saw someone other than police openly carrying a firearm.  Now, there are hundreds of thousands of civilians across the country who (legally) carry concealed on a daily basis, but you never see pictures of them, and very rarely hear news stories about them. :)  Very occasionally you have instances where you'll see lots of people carrying openly, e.g. Coeur d'Alene Idaho earlier this year when they heard rumors of less-peaceful protesters coming to town, but that's exceedingly rare.
And of course it is the individual states that regulate how someone can carry and own guns not (generally) the feds. In Calif open carry is illegal and gun ownership restricted. Other states are more lenient.

Now back to overheard at work. Well I haven't overheard much for a few years now ;-).