Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1113023 times)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2700 on: August 25, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
Sure new vehicles have a bunch of cool new features. But I don't think they justify the price tag.

My buddy's new truck has trailer backup assist (the truck turns the wheel for you)... How many times are you going to use that? Sure the few times I do pull a trailer it might be nice instead of me looking stupid taking a few tries to back up in a tight area.  That might happen once or twice a year and if I did it more often I would be good at it and not need some fancy computer to park for me.  Seeing that feature work in action was impressive and it shows the technology is really improving. Maybe in a few years decades nobody will be driving and owning vehicles we could all just have roaming autonomous vehicles to transport us around. 

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2701 on: August 25, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »
Learned last week that one of our ex-students, who graduated 3 months ago, went out and bought an Audi after gettting a FT job. Earns probably $50-60k max. Was in a wreck last week and broke her arm. Will miss several weeks of work now.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2702 on: August 25, 2020, 10:48:25 AM »
Learned last week that one of our ex-students, who graduated 3 months ago, went out and bought an Audi after gettting a FT job. Earns probably $50-60k max. Was in a wreck last week and broke her arm. Will miss several weeks of work now.

Perhaps the Audi logo is a chain symbol for a reason. Chained to lease/payments and/or repairs.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2703 on: August 25, 2020, 10:50:27 AM »
My SiL was visiting me and we were talking about cars. She asked me when I was going to replace my Toyota Camry "now that the one I have is paid off."

Um, I've only got 135,000 miles on it, not even close to done.
A comment like that would have me looking at them like they had spaghetti growing out of their head.  Not only is it antimustachian, but it's a complete non-sequitur!

But.....!!!   You'll ALWAYS have a car payment!!   Right?

Jeesh, they sure will if they're dumb enough to volunteer for one!

The bolded part... Anti-Mustachians act as if it's a great thing to have payments, but have a huge issue if the vehicle is paid off and there's extra money in their account. Somehow that is burning their pocket so it must be spent. Feckin Idjuts. But I thank them for making the manufacturers stock go high. Every little bit helps. I need the dividends.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2704 on: August 25, 2020, 12:11:33 PM »
My SiL was visiting me and we were talking about cars. She asked me when I was going to replace my Toyota Camry "now that the one I have is paid off."

Right?  Same.  My 2006 Matrix still under 150k, but barely

Piglet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2705 on: August 25, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »

Perhaps the Audi logo is a chain symbol for a reason. Chained to lease/payments and/or repairs.

Bwahahahahaha! Snorted my drink out my nose when I read this....

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2706 on: August 25, 2020, 02:27:13 PM »

My 2007 Vibe (same as the Matrix) has 186,000 - feel like it's just broken in!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2707 on: August 26, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »

You read my mind. Honda/Toyotas at ~150,000 miles are only mid-life or less. Especially so in the southern states.
Used to work in California in the mid-2000s. At car shows, would routinely see old cars modded, with mileage usually over 200k, and the owners would drive them for a couple hundred miles to weekend car shows quite frequently.
It's common around here for independent mechanics to ask if they can purchase your car when they notice it is well-maintained during service.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2708 on: August 26, 2020, 05:39:52 PM »

You read my mind. Honda/Toyotas at ~150,000 miles are only mid-life or less. Especially so in the southern states.
Used to work in California in the mid-2000s. At car shows, would routinely see old cars modded, with mileage usually over 200k, and the owners would drive them for a couple hundred miles to weekend car shows quite frequently.
It's common around here for independent mechanics to ask if they can purchase your car when they notice it is well-maintained during service.

My dealership bought my high mileage well maintained car to use as a loaner.  I only sold it because it was a sedan and I needed a hatchback.  I'm over 280,000 km on the hatchback

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2709 on: August 26, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »

Ha!  I’ve got you beat!  My 2003 Matrix has 143,000 kilometres on it.  Mostly highway.  I still think of it as new.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2710 on: August 26, 2020, 06:36:53 PM »

My high school friend calls them “LPTs: little penis trucks”.

Supposedly the average penis is a lot smaller than what the average man things the average penis is.  Maybe Big Truck is surreptitiously convincing Americans that any penis under 10 inches is micro.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2711 on: August 26, 2020, 06:57:22 PM »

Supposedly the average penis is a lot smaller than what the average man things the average penis is.  Maybe Big Truck is surreptitiously convincing Americans that any penis under 10 inches is micro.

Men see a lot of penises but few in a ... measurable... state. Women are the real experts on this one!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2712 on: August 27, 2020, 10:44:48 AM »

Men see a lot of penises but few in a ... measurable... state. Women are the real experts on this one!
The thing that seems to get missed is that penis size is only half the story. “Insert tab A into slot B”... the relative sizes need to be compatible.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2713 on: August 27, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »

Ha!  I’ve got you beat!  My 2003 Matrix has 143,000 kilometres on it.  Mostly highway.  I still think of it as new.
I beat both of you. Even if I drove my car until I die I would probably not reach 143'000km.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2714 on: August 27, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »

I felt like buying the car new was an extravagance, but I'm twelve years in and--under pandemic lifestyle--hardly driving it at all. Having a car that needed payments would be the true extravagance.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2715 on: August 28, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
I drive a small hatchback.  Sometimes people give me a hard time for not driving a big truck.  I tell them I'm compensating for something.

;)

Not everyone gets it.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2716 on: August 28, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »
I do have a nice, little taxable investment account from which I'm receiving about $4/day in dividends. It has sometimes occurred to me that I could attempt to lease something small--perhaps a Honda Fit--based on the income coming out of that account.

When we discussed it in 2008, my fiancée thought leasing was dumb. I doubt the intervening years of marriage have changed her mind.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2717 on: August 28, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
I do have a nice, little taxable investment account from which I'm receiving about $4/day in dividends. It has sometimes occurred to me that I could attempt to lease something small--perhaps a Honda Fit--based on the income coming out of that account.

When we discussed it in 2008, my fiancée thought leasing was dumb. I doubt the intervening years of marriage have changed her mind.

Why would it change her mind?   Leasing almost always is a dumb financial move!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2718 on: August 28, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »
I drive a small hatchback.  Sometimes people give me a hard time for not driving a big truck.  I tell them I'm compensating for something.

;)

Not everyone gets it.

Try waggling your eyebrows when you say it.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2719 on: August 29, 2020, 01:50:50 AM »

;)

Not everyone gets it.

Certainly better than waggling somthing else. That could be dangerous.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2720 on: August 29, 2020, 07:24:33 AM »

;)

Not everyone gets it.

And smirking a bit.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #2721 on: August 29, 2020, 07:31:07 AM »

;)

Not everyone gets it.

I drove a Yamaha Vino 125 scooter for six years.
Loved that scooter -- and my gas bill was like $2.75 a month
I used almost the same line when people asked me when I was going to get a real motorcycle--- I told them I was undercompensating
;-)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2722 on: August 30, 2020, 06:57:03 PM »

;)

Not everyone gets it.

Certainly better than waggling somthing else. That could be dangerous.
Licking your eyebrows is an attention getter!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2723 on: September 02, 2020, 07:47:17 AM »

Why would it change her mind?   Leasing almost always is a dumb financial move!

I will acknowledge that I am grateful to not be making lease payments on a car that I don't need during this work-from-home time of my life.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2724 on: September 04, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
Coworkers were talking about buying things at the one and only Costco in China, which is an hour away by car. They don’t have a car so it would involve splitting the cost of a $80 van and driver, or $60 taxi. Now, they’ve discovered that someone will do Costco runs for them and then deliver to their home for a mere 10% markup.

I tried to tell them that for many things, you can buy direct from the Costco warehouse (or whatever factory supplies Costco) On Taobao, as long as you Google translate the item into Chinese, and the prices are about the same as physically going to Costco. But apparently it takes too much effort to use Google translate.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2725 on: September 04, 2020, 05:32:50 PM »
Coworkers were talking about buying things at the one and only Costco in China, which is an hour away by car. They don’t have a car so it would involve splitting the cost of a $80 van and driver, or $60 taxi. Now, they’ve discovered that someone will do Costco runs for them and then deliver to their home for a mere 10% markup.

I tried to tell them that for many things, you can buy direct from the Costco warehouse (or whatever factory supplies Costco) On Taobao, as long as you Google translate the item into Chinese, and the prices are about the same as physically going to Costco. But apparently it takes too much effort to use Google translate.

And you can't possibly learn the words/characters for commonly bought items...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2726 on: September 05, 2020, 12:51:04 AM »

Actually, I just realized that they could just take a picture of the packaging. Taobao has a picture recognition program and will search for images that look similar. It doesn’t work perfectly, but for many things you don’t even need to know any Chinese if you’ve bought the item before. But that would involve saving money and learning how to navigate a Chinese app. That’s too stressful.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2727 on: September 05, 2020, 01:52:16 AM »
To be fair google translate is dangerous. You might end up getting a visit from the police.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2728 on: September 05, 2020, 05:23:55 AM »

Actually, I just realized that they could just take a picture of the packaging. Taobao has a picture recognition program and will search for images that look similar.

That's what I do, but all I get is a bunch of hotdocs and a few not hotdogs.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2729 on: September 05, 2020, 06:54:09 AM »

Actually, I just realized that they could just take a picture of the packaging. Taobao has a picture recognition program and will search for images that look similar. It doesn’t work perfectly, but for many things you don’t even need to know any Chinese if you’ve bought the item before. But that would involve saving money and learning how to navigate a Chinese app. That’s too stressful.

I do not understand why people choose to live in a foreign country, and refuse to even try. My mother SUCKS at languages, but she still tries. Of course, the last time she lived abroad, she would have totally hired a driver rather than use a computer, but even she likes internet shopping now!

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #2730 on: September 17, 2020, 07:23:07 AM »
Someone at work who is up to his eyeballs in credit card debt (and works two jobs to keep up with the bills) told me that he'd been day-trading in his 401(k) back in March when the market was down, and wound up making five figures in profit.

All right, market timing is bad, but he got lucky this time, good for him.

But then he said that because the CARES act now lets you withdraw penalty-free from your 401(k), he was thinking of taking his earnings, and buying a new car.

*headdesk*

I told him that it was a terrible idea to tap the 401(k) because it was precious tax-advantaged space, but if he were to do that, he should really pay off his credit card debt first.

He looked like I'd just kicked his puppy.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2731 on: September 17, 2020, 09:16:29 AM »
Co-worker cashed in their taxable account back in March (oops!) - still not back in the market (too volatile). His wife is now commuting 1+ hrs away instead of working at the office 10 min away, so they are going to sell the old VW, lease a new BMW, and buy a used BMW.

Not to mention that co-worker does not max the 401k or have an IRA, but still had a taxable!

Sometimes this mustachian life makes you wonder how people even make it through the day.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #2732 on: September 17, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
Coworker was asking me if it was smart to use the CARES act to withdraw some money. I asked what it would be for and he said a root canal that is $2300.

Dude makes over 140K a year, 2 kids in private school, supporting another kid who wants to be a singer. Spouse doesnt work. Has been working remotely for 6 months, so no commute or lunch expenses. He has been complaining about this dental thing since JANUARY.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2733 on: September 17, 2020, 04:28:47 PM »
Coworker was asking me if it was smart to use the CARES act to withdraw some money. I asked what it would be for and he said a root canal that is $2300.

Dude makes over 140K a year, 2 kids in private school, supporting another kid who wants to be a singer. Spouse doesnt work. Has been working remotely for 6 months, so no commute or lunch expenses. He has been complaining about this dental thing since JANUARY.
My husband has a very difficult coworker...just hard to work with.

He's very highly paid, probably close to $200k a year would be my guess.  My husband's company doesn't provide dental insurance - they have HSA/HDHP.

Anyway...the guy took some time off a few weeks ago, said he was going to be out for several days, if not a full week, due to dental issues.  "I guess I should have been going to the dentist these 20 years".  Um, yeah dude.  You know your HSA can be used to pay a damn dentist...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2734 on: September 18, 2020, 04:34:52 AM »
Someone at work who is up to his eyeballs in credit card debt (and works two jobs to keep up with the bills) told me that he'd been day-trading in his 401(k) back in March when the market was down, and wound up making five figures in profit.

But then he said that because the CARES act now lets you withdraw penalty-free from your 401(k), he was thinking of taking his earnings, and buying a new car.

*headdesk*

I told him that it was a terrible idea to tap the 401(k) because it was precious tax-advantaged space, but if he were to do that, he should really pay off his credit card debt first.

Of course! After all that hard work he deserves that car and would like to have your okay for that, so the tiny voice inside him telling that this is stupid is silent.

What I don't understand is why people sell when it's really low.
I have the problem that I not sell when I should because it's slightly in the red even though I know it will go down more. I don't sell because I don't want to make the loss.
Why aren't people refusing to sell then when it is a big loss??

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2735 on: September 18, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »

*headdesk*

I still occasionally listen to Dave Ramsey and I can't believe how many people call in with questions about using their 401(k) as an ATM because of the CARES act.  Always to buy this-or-that (rather than trying to survive and avoid bankruptcy or foreclosure) and always without a thought that they will still have to pay income tax on what they withdraw.  It is a constant reminder that there will always be those who do dumb things and then will complain later when they have no retirement money.  I am sure they will chalk their failures up to the "stock market casino" or that the government didn't bail them out properly.  Exhausting.         

And don't forget the "everything is so complicated for ordinary folks these days" bla bla. While it's partially true that some things have become more complicated, money management the way my grandparents with only a couple of years of education did it still works.

They sat down with a notebooks when Grandpa got paid. They'd put aside money for rent and the electricity meter, then calculated what was left. They took out the housekeeping money that my grandma put in her purse, they put some money in a jar that they set aside for the yearly delivery of coal. What was left was divided between budgets for clothing, household expenses and saving. Every time they made a purchase they'd meticulously record it in their notebook so they knew exactly how much was left. And they always tried very much not to touch the small amount of savings so they could take it to the bank at the end of the month. They didn't take out a loan in their entire life because loans = bad and they didn't buy financial products they didn't understand.

Living like this, you're not going to FIRE at 30 but you will thrive financially. All you need is a notebook, elementary level math skills and discipline.

When they died we found a box full of envelopes with small amounts of cash - used envelopes of course, labelled with "birthday" or "Christmas" or "hairdresser" in a very neat handwriting. They budgeted for everything and didn't spend more than they could afford.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #2736 on: September 18, 2020, 08:22:34 AM »
When they died we found a box full of envelopes with small amounts of cash - used envelopes of course, labelled with "birthday" or "Christmas" or "hairdresser" in a very neat handwriting. They budgeted for everything and didn't spend more than they could afford.

Same with my grandparents; they had envelopes hidden all over the house. Having cash on hand rather than plastic was also a big part of that generation's financial planning.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2737 on: September 18, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »

Same with my grandparents; they had envelopes hidden all over the house. Having cash on hand rather than plastic was also a big part of that generation's financial planning.

One of my cousins does this. They have a shoe box full of envelopes with labels for different stuff they budget for. Seems like a pain in the ass to me - but probably effective. Probably healthier than my method of intense guilt and self doubt with every purchase no matter how much money I have, save, or budget for.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2738 on: September 18, 2020, 12:20:11 PM »

One of my cousins does this. They have a shoe box full of envelopes with labels for different stuff they budget for. Seems like a pain in the ass to me - but probably effective. Probably healthier than my method of intense guilt and self doubt with every purchase no matter how much money I have, save, or budget for.

We were talking at work this morning about how some of us were going to just stick our "bonus" from that stupid payroll tax deferral into our savings account.  One person said that he's going to hate seeing the bank account go down next year.  I realized that since I've already set up an Ally bucket for it, I don't think I'll have that problem.  I hate spending undesignated money, but as long as I have already earmarked money for something, I don't have a problem actually spending it (except the emergency fund....I did everything I could to justify not dipping into the emergency fund in the aftermath of a tornado...go figure). 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2739 on: September 19, 2020, 05:14:19 AM »

We were talking at work this morning about how some of us were going to just stick our "bonus" from that stupid payroll tax deferral into our savings account.  One person said that he's going to hate seeing the bank account go down next year.  I realized that since I've already set up an Ally bucket for it, I don't think I'll have that problem.  I hate spending undesignated money, but as long as I have already earmarked money for something, I don't have a problem actually spending it (except the emergency fund....I did everything I could to justify not dipping into the emergency fund in the aftermath of a tornado...go figure).

Totally with you on being ok spending from my sinking fund savings account, it totally pained me to send myself a “paycheck” from my emergency fund during the last government shit down.  I kept say, just because I have an emergency fund doesn’t mean I want to use it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2740 on: September 19, 2020, 06:41:02 AM »

I pay estimated quarterly taxes as a contractor, and that’s exactly how I manage the tax savings. Every time I get paid, a flat percentage goes straight into the “Taxes” bucket, and then I transfer the needed payment amount into checking every 3 months. If there’s any leftover, it gets invested after we file our year-end paperwork.

Before we switched to Ally, I had a separate savings account just for taxes. Either way, it’s helpful to have the money earmarked and know that spending it won’t affect your emergency or other funds.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #2741 on: September 19, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »

*headdesk*

Of course! After all that hard work he deserves that car and would like to have your okay for that, so the tiny voice inside him telling that this is stupid is silent.

Ugh, it's worse than that. He's not just looking for my approval, he actively wants to impress me with how much money he has/makes, and what he does with it. He's very proud of his hot stock picks, and was quite disappointed when I turned down his investment advice on a different occasion. He thinks he's so financially savvy, but he has no idea who he's talking to, and he's too self-centered to ever take me seriously.

What I don't understand is why people sell when it's really low.
I have the problem that I not sell when I should because it's slightly in the red even though I know it will go down more. I don't sell because I don't want to make the loss.
Why aren't people refusing to sell then when it is a big loss??

A coworker liquidated all the stock in his 401(k) in February (after the market had started to fall, but before it hit rock bottom), and put it all in bonds. He is nearing (normal) retirement age, was losing sleep over the volatility, and said that bailing made him feel so much better. I'm not gonna judge him, I actually feel a lot of compassion for him, because he's a lovely person, and I'm rooting for his financial health and eventual retirement. The core issue is that his asset allocation did not reflect his risk tolerance, so he panic-sold. I have no clue if/when he got back in. Loss aversion is a powerful driver.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2742 on: September 21, 2020, 07:42:21 AM »
DS18 works part-time as a lifeguard at an outdoor pool. Obviously, it's important that staff keep hydrated. He has a coworker who drinks off-brand Gatorade because "I'm all about saving money." Other coworkers razz him for buying the knockoff, to which he replies, "It's cheaper than water!"
In the guard room there's a free water cooler.
Which would also be a lot more healthier than sports drinks in big numbers.
I bought a pH tester and needed distilled water to calibrate it. I went to Walmart, a gallon of distilled water is $0.81. While waiting in line, the couple in front of me both got a 16oz bottle of water at $1.88 each. $3.76 for 1/4 gallon.
Well, it was convienient!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2743 on: September 25, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »
What do you do with all that leftover distilled water you don't need? (as I type this, I'm ironically taking a couple of pulls from my massive cup of iced coffee)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2744 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:23 PM »
Found out that some of my coworkers don't take advantage of paid company parking because it's too far away and they're usually running late. And so they pay for street parking...mostly. Today they both got parking tickets.

I did the math, and parking costs them about $1,000 a year! With even one parking ticket a month it's about $1,200
 over the course of the year!

The kicker is our supervisor isn't a stickler at all about our in times and it takes me less than 3 minutes to get from the parking spot to the office.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2745 on: September 25, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »
What do you do with all that leftover distilled water you don't need? (as I type this, I'm ironically taking a couple of pulls from my massive cup of iced coffee)

You can use it in your iron or steamer, or coffee machine

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #2746 on: September 26, 2020, 03:21:44 AM »
In the coffee machine? To do what?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2747 on: September 26, 2020, 06:40:00 AM »

Make coffee?!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2748 on: September 27, 2020, 01:42:37 AM »

Make coffee?!

Apparently the coffee gurus out there consider using distilled or RO water bad for coffee flavor, but I like not having to descale my machine (or at least less often).  I'm mostly in it for the caffeine anyway given that I let the grounds sit OVERNIGHT in the basket before the timer starts the brew. 

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #2749 on: September 27, 2020, 04:21:15 AM »
I was never a coffee guru. But I was advised to never drink destilled water.

This might be an urban legend, never followed up on it.