Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112993 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2650 on: August 07, 2020, 04:10:49 AM »
I only bought a newer phone because several apps I used were no longer supported by the version of Android my old phone runs. I have to say the camera on the newer one was also a significant improvement. Plus I don't have to worry about constantly deleting old podcasts every time I download a new one because it has such limited space. Still, that was $400 - not $1,000.

That makes sense. Sorry if I seemed harsh. I was venting. Heard from several people (two coworkers) in a single week buying new phones just because... One just needs a new $15 battery.

Unfortunately it not just a $15 battery. Almost all modern phones are sealed such that the batteries aren't user replaceable. I recently had the battery replaced in my original Pixel phone and it was between $60 `~ $70. And they said it could have been more as sometimes the screen will break during the process, something my research beforehand confirmed. It's also aged out of updates from Google and for that reason alone I'll probably replace it sometime in the future.

Gotta love that planned obsolescence.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2651 on: August 07, 2020, 04:26:30 AM »
I held onto my S5 for the longest time (and replaced with refurb'd models twice) because it was the last model that didn't require a special tool and a glue pack to change the battery in.  I moved up to an S8 last year when I found an Active model on Backmarket for a decent price.  I'm happy with it so far, but it hasn't been that long, so we'll see what kind of battery life I get out of it. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2652 on: August 07, 2020, 06:55:54 AM »
Nah you can get the battery and disassembly kit for like $30 max

I changed the battery on my old MotoX last year.  Bought the kit, spent an hour just removing the back, only to find the kit had the incorrect little tiny star drive screw driver included.  Went to a couple cell phone stores looking for one.  A nice guy at the cell phone repair place let me sit in his shop and use his screw driver to spend another hour getting the battery out.  He said that phone was an easy battery swap compared to most.

The new battery did jack for the phone's performance or battery life (and I'd removed all the apps and whatever else I could think of to help it work better), so I ended up buying a Pixel3 a couple months later.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2653 on: August 07, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »
I am an iPhone person and my husband usually replaces my battery once in es h phone I have before I replace it. That extends its life by at least a year. You can buy kits with the battery and the tools you need to replace it and then follow iFixIt instructions online.

That said, I have now finally moved to a waterproof model and I am not sure how well the waterproofing will survive a battery replacement.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2654 on: August 08, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
I am an iPhone person and my husband usually replaces my battery once in es h phone I have before I replace it. That extends its life by at least a year. You can buy kits with the battery and the tools you need to replace it and then follow iFixIt instructions online.

That said, I have now finally moved to a waterproof model and I am not sure how well the waterproofing will survive a battery replacement.

It won't.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2655 on: August 08, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »

It won't.

It will if you replace the "display adhesive" aka double sided tape.  It's usually included in the kits but can be had separately for an inflated price.  Even so, the total cost is way less than paying Apple or buying a new phone.

Or you could just stop showering with your phone

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2656 on: August 08, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
"Why do you work so late?!" (Clueless coworkers who are bouncy-kneed at 4:15 waiting for 4:29 so they leave a minute early, peel rubber out of the parking lot and go buy something.) I finish up at around 9:45pm five days/week and work about nine hours every Sat and Sun as well--4:15 is about lunchtime for me...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2657 on: August 08, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »
"Why do you work so late?!" (Clueless coworkers who are bouncy-kneed at 4:15 waiting for 4:29 so they leave a minute early, peel rubber out of the parking lot and go buy something.) I finish up at around 9:45pm five days/week and work about nine hours every Sat and Sun as well--4:15 is about lunchtime for me...

That's funny.    How do you know they aren't rushing home to kiss their spouse instead of going shopping? 

Because if you aren't being paid extra for all those extra hours, they aren't the clueless one in this scenario...

And even if you are, that's a crazy amount of extra work to take on unless it's for sheer survival or for a very limited period of time.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2658 on: August 08, 2020, 08:48:08 PM »

That's funny.    How do you know they aren't rushing home to kiss their spouse instead of going shopping? 

Because if you aren't being paid extra for all those extra hours, they aren't the clueless one in this scenario...

And even if you are, that's a crazy amount of extra work to take on unless it's for sheer survival or for a very limited period of time.

Yes they have their priorities but they prioritize bizarre things like “time with family” or other scams. And yes those are the same nonsense lines they have tried on me for years which I use my ninja vision to see right through. Everybody will try to hypnotize you and make you mediocre and “balanced” like them—watch out!

Edit: And yes, went from ~70K to low 200s by cancelling nights and weekends several years ago.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:03:02 PM by Monerexia »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2659 on: August 08, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »
Edit: And yes, went from ~70K to low 200s by cancelling nights and weekends several years ago.

Have you tried switching to Verizon?

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2660 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »

It won't.

It will if you replace the "display adhesive" aka double sided tape.  It's usually included in the kits but can be had separately for an inflated price.  Even so, the total cost is way less than paying Apple or buying a new phone.

That will not make it have anywhere near the same water resistance rating.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2661 on: August 08, 2020, 10:20:24 PM »

Have you tried switching to Verizon?

Ha! Yep those prices were outrageous alright. Funny phone story though, my flaky family members who borrowed $2500 from me in an "emergency" wanted to use Venmo to pay me back, and when I told them that I use a VOIP that venmo can't verify and it's not an option, they proceeded to lecture me on how "cheap" I am with my phone plan. My friend if that ain't rich dunno what is.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2662 on: August 09, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
FWIW, I have a relative that has built a few homes, new, from lot up, and moved on after 2-5 years.

Their logic:
1.  They have a life in trades and do all the plumbing, general contracting, and finishing work themselves. (Hire out basic construction, architectural, electrical, drywall to various sub trades).

Since trades work often has "lumpy" or variable demand (ie, time between jobs) - this seems like an excellent way to stay busy in a profitable way. No work today? Well, let's install those cabinets at home!

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #2663 on: August 09, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
Have a surprising coincidence for my home, it was built in 1899.. the same year my paternal grandfather was born.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2664 on: August 10, 2020, 12:44:32 AM »

It won't.

Why not?  That’s what Apple does and they warranty their work

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2665 on: August 10, 2020, 08:22:44 AM »

It won't.

At this stage it isn’t showering but baby drool. He manages to get his hands on the phone and everything goes into the pie hole. Sigh.

MrTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2666 on: August 10, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »
Ha! Yep those prices were outrageous alright. Funny phone story though, my flaky family members who borrowed $2500 from me in an "emergency" wanted to use Venmo to pay me back, and when I told them that I use a VOIP that venmo can't verify and it's not an option, they proceeded to lecture me on how "cheap" I am with my phone plan. My friend if that ain't rich dunno what is.

I've got nothing to add but I want you to know this post made me smile. 

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2667 on: August 10, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »

I've got nothing to add but I want you to know this post made me smile.

It's fascinating how many people don't see the connection between not spending money and accumulating wealth. I think that for them "being rich" equals "spending a lot" and no thought goes into the source/cause of being rich.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2668 on: August 11, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »

It won't.

Maybe you are right about battery. For the screen they use a special machine.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2669 on: August 12, 2020, 05:03:28 AM »

It won't.

Maybe you are right about battery. For the screen they use a special machine.

Could't find anything about a waterproofing machine.  Do tell.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2670 on: August 12, 2020, 06:44:28 AM »
Careful...I've heard that working a metric crapton of hours can lead to...monerexia.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #2671 on: August 12, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »
What is the newest version going to get me?

For me personally, not being broken. I tend to physically damage my phones. I do really like the Google devices, Nexus and now Pixel. I'm very happy with my Pixel 3a, and will probably replace it when they no longer provide security updates.

Seriously, don't use a phone without up-to-date software from the vendor. You are asking for trouble, in my professional opinion.
Yup. Got a Pixel 3a and really like it.

Honestly, I'm warping Mustachians views here but Phones and TVs are two of the best purchases I've made. I've added a 50-55inch tv every 2-3 years for ~$250/piece so now I have 3 in different rooms (one outside, one living room, and one in the guest bedroom so the MIL can watch in bed). The amount of value I get from them is just insane for the per use cost. Same with a new phone every 2 years (~$400) to ensure a phone with a pretty solid camera, plenty of storage and updated software. For ~.50 a day for something I use this much is great value. Add in my bluetooth headphones for $25 bucks. No regrets and I'm a pretty cheap person. There are easier ways to save that money spent on things I use. I get some people dont value that and are ok with a six year-old phone but I travel and want to take a ton of pictures and have a long battery life. Phones are also a thing where you dont think there is much difference until you go back to your old phone. The speed, displays, etc are noticeable once you have that hedonistic adaptation.

Now if you are talking $2k tvs, that is another scenario.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #2672 on: August 12, 2020, 09:55:38 AM »
Same with a new phone every 2 years (~$400) to ensure a phone with a pretty solid camera, plenty of storage and updated software. For ~.50 a day for something I use this much is great value.

I think the rule is, buy only what you need and what you can afford. For me it is the same with phones. I bought a Galaxy S7 in 2017 and this year a Note 9. Both not current flagships, but way ahead of any 6 year old/shirty cheap phone.
When I travel, I don't have a camera with me, so that's a big deal.

Spending 1000 bucks every year on a new iPhone? No thank you.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2673 on: August 12, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »
What is the newest version going to get me?

For me personally, not being broken. I tend to physically damage my phones. I do really like the Google devices, Nexus and now Pixel. I'm very happy with my Pixel 3a, and will probably replace it when they no longer provide security updates.

Seriously, don't use a phone without up-to-date software from the vendor. You are asking for trouble, in my professional opinion.
Yup. Got a Pixel 3a and really like it.

Honestly, I'm warping Mustachians views here but Phones and TVs are two of the best purchases I've made. I've added a 50-55inch tv every 2-3 years for ~$250/piece so now I have 3 in different rooms (one outside, one living room, and one in the guest bedroom so the MIL can watch in bed). The amount of value I get from them is just insane for the per use cost. Same with a new phone every 2 years (~$400) to ensure a phone with a pretty solid camera, plenty of storage and updated software. For ~.50 a day for something I use this much is great value. Add in my bluetooth headphones for $25 bucks. No regrets and I'm a pretty cheap person. There are easier ways to save that money spent on things I use. I get some people dont value that and are ok with a six year-old phone but I travel and want to take a ton of pictures and have a long battery life. Phones are also a thing where you dont think there is much difference until you go back to your old phone. The speed, displays, etc are noticeable once you have that hedonistic adaptation.

Now if you are talking $2k tvs, that is another scenario.
My pixel 3A was a good purchase (the Nexus died...cracked/broken screen). 

We actually paid $150-200 for a crappy TV when COVID hit, and I'm using it as a monitor.  It's not awesome (it's 720?  Should have spent $50 more.)  It had to be shipped back and replaced because it broke.  However, it's been great to have a monitor AND the use of the TV is good also.  When it was the rainy season and someone was doing "school" in the living room, I could use it to work out during the day.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2674 on: August 13, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »
Coworker. Late fifties. Great guy. Terrible with money, but he knows it. Bought a brand new fancy truck about 3 years ago. Told me the interest rate was 12%. Used it for his 40 minute commute. His wife drove a minicooper bought used. Fast forward to last year. Trades in his 2 year old truck for another brand new truck. Payments are over $600/mon. Also trades in his wife's minicooper, which was about to be paid off, for a brand new car (forget which model). Between payments, gas, and insurance alone, he's got to be shelling out over $1,000/mon just on the truck for basic transportation. Damn.

I posted that two years ago. The saga continues. He just traded in THAT truck for a new 4x4 F250 with crewcab. Payment only $871/mon. Damn....

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2675 on: August 13, 2020, 11:54:02 AM »
Coworker. Late fifties. Great guy. Terrible with money, but he knows it. Bought a brand new fancy truck about 3 years ago. Told me the interest rate was 12%. Used it for his 40 minute commute. His wife drove a minicooper bought used. Fast forward to last year. Trades in his 2 year old truck for another brand new truck. Payments are over $600/mon. Also trades in his wife's minicooper, which was about to be paid off, for a brand new car (forget which model). Between payments, gas, and insurance alone, he's got to be shelling out over $1,000/mon just on the truck for basic transportation. Damn.

I posted that two years ago. The saga continues. He just traded in THAT truck for a new 4x4 F250 with crewcab. Payment only $871/mon. Damn....
Oh wow.  Does he ever plan to retire?  Spending that much on cars makes me feel anxious by proxy.  I can't imagine actually doing it.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2676 on: August 13, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »
Oh wow.  Does he ever plan to retire?  Spending that much on cars makes me feel anxious by proxy.  I can't imagine actually doing it.

He would like to, as he's always complaining about work, but it's hard to see how. He turns 60 this month or next. Still has a mortgage. The truck isn't needed for work or business purposes. He wants to pull an RV with it for vacations...occasionally. He cashed out his 80k 403b in 2017 when switching jobs. I believe he was paying off the IRS for back taxes even before that. He'd be the first to admit he just sucks with money.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2677 on: August 13, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »

Ow. OMG.  Just. Ow.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2678 on: August 13, 2020, 03:20:49 PM »

Thanks for posting this. Stories like this are what I come to this thread for.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2679 on: August 13, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
Not sure if I ever posted this.  Apologies if it's a repeat.

I was talking to a biglaw partner about something.  Dude makes over $1 million per year and has a house only maybe $2 million.  Has been partner for decades.  He says "I wish I could retire!"  Me:

He did end up retiring a couple years after me so I guess he figured it out himself.  Also his wife is a freakin' dentist.  If you are on here, PM me.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2680 on: August 16, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »
Not overheard, but I had to keep my mouth shut last week with a co-worker, who admits he’s not in trouble because he and his wife make good money.  (Probably at least 200k). But he can’t retire any time soon because he needs more, he didn’t know his salary, he has a TSP loan, made 300k his previous house in Seattle and now lives in a lower COL area in the Midwest. 

He got on my never for other stuff (worked with him in person for a week). I so wanted to drop on him the size of my brokerage account to explain why I wasn’t as desperate for money as him.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2681 on: August 17, 2020, 07:38:47 AM »

He would like to, as he's always complaining about work, but it's hard to see how. He turns 60 this month or next. Still has a mortgage. The truck isn't needed for work or business purposes. He wants to pull an RV with it for vacations...occasionally. He cashed out his 80k 403b in 2017 when switching jobs. I believe he was paying off the IRS for back taxes even before that. He'd be the first to admit he just sucks with money.
It seems like someone like that could benefit from seeing the simple calculation of what you get after 5 years if you spend that money on cars or if you instead invest it. “Hey, you could have $68,000 in five years or nothing. Which do you prefer?”

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2682 on: August 17, 2020, 07:45:24 AM »

It seems like someone like that could benefit from seeing the simple calculation of what you get after 5 years if you spend that money on cars or if you instead invest it. “Hey, you could have $68,000 in five years or nothing. Which do you prefer?”

He doesn't suck with money.  He sucks with ego.     All that spending is compensating for something.     Until that's addressed he's not going to stop spending.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2683 on: August 17, 2020, 10:58:28 AM »

He doesn't suck with money.  He sucks with ego.     All that spending is compensating for something.     Until that's addressed he's not going to stop spending.
My high school friend calls them “LPTs: little penis trucks”.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2684 on: August 18, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »
had an ex-co-worker who leased jeep and other "tough-guy" looking trucks. guy was physically not in shape. he would constantly brag and belittle all of us, including our team lead, that he was the "most bestest hardworking guy because he had the best vehicle".

One co-worker told him, "You don't own them, you lease, so STFU."

One day, in a team meeting, he said he was "winning the race". (no one knows WTF he was talking about). eyes were rolling. shrugs.

I said, "you're winning. your vehicle is depreciating at a faster rate than my retirement accounts growing. congratulations." (this was mid 2015 when the market took a small dip.)

Much crazy laughter, 22 IT staff guffawing. Dumbass truck-boy (DTB is what we called him) did not get it. He was literally asking "what, what was the joke? I didn't get it, some explain."

He left a few months later. We had an office pot-luck party after he left.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2685 on: August 19, 2020, 03:41:36 AM »
One day, in a team meeting, he said he was "winning the race". (no one knows WTF he was talking about). eyes were rolling. shrugs.
He likely meant the race of "Buy things you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like".

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2686 on: August 19, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »
He likely meant the race of "Buy things you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you  that don't like YOU".

FTFY or an attempt to help :-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2687 on: August 20, 2020, 03:32:45 AM »
He likely meant the race of "Buy things you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you  that don't like YOU".

FTFY or an attempt to help :-)
Nono, he meant the race I have described. But he was in the one you have written down.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2688 on: August 20, 2020, 06:41:20 AM »
DS18 works part-time as a lifeguard at an outdoor pool. Obviously, it's important that staff keep hydrated. He has a coworker who drinks off-brand Gatorade because "I'm all about saving money." Other coworkers razz him for buying the knockoff, to which he replies, "It's cheaper than water!"
In the guard room there's a free water cooler.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2689 on: August 21, 2020, 01:52:39 AM »
DS18 works part-time as a lifeguard at an outdoor pool. Obviously, it's important that staff keep hydrated. He has a coworker who drinks off-brand Gatorade because "I'm all about saving money." Other coworkers razz him for buying the knockoff, to which he replies, "It's cheaper than water!"
In the guard room there's a free water cooler.
Which would also be a lot more healthier than sports drinks in big numbers.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2690 on: August 21, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »

I'm in awe.  I know people with mortgages lower than that.  And the monthly payment doesn't even account for increased insurance payments and property taxes. 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2691 on: August 21, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »

I'm in awe.  I know people with mortgages lower than that.  And the monthly payment doesn't even account for increased insurance payments and property taxes.

Actually that is higher than my mortgage payment (not PITI though)

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2692 on: August 22, 2020, 03:11:18 PM »

Or maintenance and gas. Add them all up and it's approaching my monthly expenses in the same city. I talked to him last week. The fuel pump went out on his previous truck. The warranty was nearing it's end, so he thought it best to just trade it in. He plans on retiring in 7 years at 67. He has slowly worsening health problems though, so we'll see.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2693 on: August 23, 2020, 07:34:02 AM »

That's a good house payment here! Priorities!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2694 on: August 24, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »

I talked to him last week. The fuel pump went out on his previous truck. The warranty was nearing it's end, so he thought it best to just trade it in.

The same justification was just used by some friends of mine. They have newer trucks than mine but their tires, brakes and warranty were about done so "It makes sense to buy a new truck!"  He and another friend went together and both got new trucks... They tried to convince me that it a great deal and I should also get a new one. "The trade in is amazing, there are looking for used trucks so are paying top dollar for trades...."   Sometimes it is not worth trying to explain the math, after a few minutes of them trying to convince me that the cost of tires and other things that could go wrong justify this great deal. I just congratulated them on their purchases and thought to myself they are basically admitting that trucks are a money pit.  Why in the world would they double down?   

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2695 on: August 25, 2020, 03:47:49 AM »

I talked to him last week. The fuel pump went out on his previous truck. The warranty was nearing it's end, so he thought it best to just trade it in.

The same justification was just used by some friends of mine. They have newer trucks than mine but their tires, brakes and warranty were about done so "It makes sense to buy a new truck!"  He and another friend went together and both got new trucks... They tried to convince me that it a great deal and I should also get a new one. "The trade in is amazing, there are looking for used trucks so are paying top dollar for trades...."   Sometimes it is not worth trying to explain the math, after a few minutes of them trying to convince me that the cost of tires and other things that could go wrong justify this great deal. I just congratulated them on their purchases and thought to myself they are basically admitting that trucks are a money pit.  Why in the world would they double down?
Next time just thank them for fullfilling the demand for vehicles some idiot has payed the brutal first years for.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2696 on: August 25, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
My SiL was visiting me and we were talking about cars. She asked me when I was going to replace my Toyota Camry "now that the one I have is paid off."

Um, I've only got 135,000 miles on it, not even close to done.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2697 on: August 25, 2020, 06:44:33 AM »
My SiL was visiting me and we were talking about cars. She asked me when I was going to replace my Toyota Camry "now that the one I have is paid off."

My standard answer to that kind of question is, "If I can still get a $500 courtesy trade-in at at the dealer, I haven't driven it long enough!"

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2698 on: August 25, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »

A comment like that would have me looking at them like they had spaghetti growing out of their head.  Not only is it antimustachian, but it's a complete non-sequitur!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2699 on: August 25, 2020, 08:03:09 AM »

A comment like that would have me looking at them like they had spaghetti growing out of their head.  Not only is it antimustachian, but it's a complete non-sequitur!

But.....!!!   You'll ALWAYS have a car payment!!   Right?

Jeesh, they sure will if they're dumb enough to volunteer for one!