Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 564076 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2600 on: July 10, 2020, 12:23:04 AM »
Can we please move the social security discussion to another thread, as has already been requested once before?

I'd suggest we put the SS discussion in a black (orange) box, pack it it foam (to the extent that it isn't already) and watch it crash.

Please move discussion of moving discussion to another thread to another thread.  But keep original off-topic discussion right here.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2601 on: July 10, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
Please move discussion of moving discussion to another thread to another thread.  But keep original off-topic discussion right here.

I will pretend the site has a "like" button and I will pretend I'm hitting it now.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2602 on: July 10, 2020, 01:07:24 PM »
Can we please move the social security discussion to another thread, as has already been requested once before?

I'd suggest we put the SS discussion in a black (orange) box, pack it it foam (to the extent that it isn't already) and watch it crash.

Please move (discussion of (moving discussion to another thread)) to another thread.  But keep original off-topic discussion right here.

Formula checks out

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2603 on: July 14, 2020, 08:43:51 AM »
Oh geez! What now - math? MATH on a finance forum? Get that out of here! ;)

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2604 on: July 16, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
Instead of shockingly simple math, this is suddenly turning into a serious examination of the associative property of algebra...I'm in!

brandon4454

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2605 on: July 16, 2020, 07:12:16 PM »
My coworker has a broken air conditioning and instead of repairing it she turns it down and blows it as hard as she can. This costs her $500 in electricity bills a month.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2606 on: July 17, 2020, 04:20:37 AM »
My coworker has a broken air conditioning and instead of repairing it she turns it down and blows it as hard as she can. This costs her $500 in electricity bills a month.
I don't even understand how many parts of this sentence I don't understand.

My best guess: She switched off the cooling and had the air-moving part run at max all the time, which somehow needs more electricity than the fans of a supercomputer?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2607 on: July 17, 2020, 07:11:51 AM »
I read it as, the unit is broken, not cooling well but perhaps still cooling a little, so she turns the temperature down and turns the fan up.  This makes the unit work harder which costs more.   

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:14:56 AM by PMG »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2608 on: July 17, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »
We just had a similar issue. Evaporator coil was leaking freon. The part (still under warranty) would have been about $650 plus another $650 or so for labor (not under warranty). At the minimum, she could refill the freon. Otherwise, the AC's motor is going to burn up, and that is going to be a much more expensive bill.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2609 on: July 17, 2020, 08:11:15 AM »
I read it as, the unit is broken, not cooling well but perhaps still cooling a little, so she turns the temperature down and turns the fan up.  This makes the unit work harder which costs more.
Eh.... you run something that is definitely broken in some way, which not only makes it likely to completely break down, costs you a lot of money, and also might be a high health risk too (gases, fire)??

EMERGENCY FACEPUNCHES PLEASE! WITH A BARBELL!

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2610 on: July 20, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
Yeah the compressor will run continuously until it wrecks itself. That is the energy hog in an a/c unit.

Same as a person who hears a serious engine or transmission noise in their car but choose to drive it to destruction ensuring the maximum cost repair bill. Might have just required something little when they first heard the noise.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2611 on: July 20, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »
I have one:  the small business where I work employs a handful of engineers (expensive), and a bunch of people who assemble our products (at $10/hr).  It's interesting to note that the engineers (and management) always bring a sack lunch, or leftovers, or fruit for lunch, while fast food, takeout, or Starbucks are a common sight down in the assembly area.  The folks who can least afford it, it seems, are the ones who buy it most frequently.

It's also interesting that with the exception of one car, the owner of the business drives the least-valuable vehicle in the parking lot--an '03 Accord with >250k miles on it.  I think I'm pretty close, though, with my '95 Corolla with 234k. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2612 on: July 20, 2020, 05:12:25 PM »
I have one:  the small business where I work employs a handful of engineers (expensive), and a bunch of people who assemble our products (at $10/hr).  It's interesting to note that the engineers (and management) always bring a sack lunch, or leftovers, or fruit for lunch, while fast food, takeout, or Starbucks are a common sight down in the assembly area.  The folks who can least afford it, it seems, are the ones who buy it most frequently.

Sad fact.   Some of them may be working 2 jobs (with limited time away from a job) or don't have great access to a kitchen at the room they rent, so default to buying food.

Hopefully the others are in a situation where they don't have to pay for rent and have a TON of disposable income.

Monerexia

• Stubble
« Reply #2613 on: July 20, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »

Sad fact.   Some of them may be working 2 jobs (with limited time away from a job) or don't have great access to a kitchen at the room they rent, so default to buying food.

Hopefully the others are in a situation where they don't have to pay for rent and have a TON of disposable income.

Yep when i was a clueless undergrad i'd spend $10/day on coffee--and didn't think twice about food court constantly. Out of touch. Also, it takes a certain type of person to take the increment and get enthused about it. 1% matters, $5 matters. It's pattern recognition which is, as we know, IQ.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2614 on: July 21, 2020, 03:33:21 AM »

When I was young and working two jobs (about a decade ago) there was a period where I was eating fastfood for lunch every day. I knew that wasn't the healthiest choice but it was the only thing I could buy close to work. But I didn't eat breakfast or dinner at home because when I got home I literally fell asleep and didn't wake up until 15 minutes before I had to leave again. Sometimes I'd grab a snack on the way from one job to the other. And at that time I had a kitchen and I absolutely knew how to cook frugally and from scratch. I was just too tired to stand up by the time I got home, let alone to cook, eat and do dishes afterwards.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2615 on: July 21, 2020, 04:52:34 AM »
I remember working 80-100 hour weeks after high school. I usually only slept at my apartment.

However, I worked for a convenience store, so I got free coffee and fountain drinks, as well as any of the deli food that was about to be thrown out (after sitting for four hours in a warmer).

It was a pretty sweet deal.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2616 on: July 21, 2020, 05:04:45 AM »
I remember working 80-100 hour weeks after high school. I usually only slept at my apartment.

However, I worked for a convenience store, so I got free coffee and fountain drinks, as well as any of the deli food that was about to be thrown out (after sitting for four hours in a warmer).

It was a pretty sweet deal.

Mr Imma had exactly that job, at that age that's a perfect job. He still eats dinner at work 4 times a week and while that's procentually not as big a deal as free food in a minimum wage job, it's still a sweet deal. It's one reason our grocery spending is so low.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2617 on: July 21, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »

I know many of them from a different social circle we share, so I know they have kitchens at home. Some are doing this job as a side gig, some are college or HS students. I know some are struggling financially, but I can't say for sure that they are the ones buying fast food.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2618 on: July 21, 2020, 09:06:15 AM »
I’m guessing many of the lower paid employees didn’t go to college, but when I went, as a frugal, lunch packing adult it really made me sad how much younger students were pushed into the rat race lifestyle.  They were scheduled full, forced into meal plans, marketed to heavily and kept so busy and stressed out that they didn’t have a whole lot of time for any kind of self care. So, of course they’re going to finish college barely knowing how to grocery shop, and with a strong habit of rushing through fast food for every meal because that is exactly what they were taught, and what was sold to them.  Capitalism and our cultural norms sure set people up to be unhealthy and miserable.

There was also so much manufactured stress. All the professors would try to teach planning, would help students map out semester long projects and create work plans, but the admin and student life people would always be talking about “final stress!” And “all nighters!” And “Cramming!”  And planned so many really unhelpful events and activities around those themes.

This just keep going at work now, heaven forbid we actually finish a project on time without rushing and working late.

Why is stress so desirable!? 

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd at 36? Or maybe it was 42?
« Reply #2619 on: July 21, 2020, 09:15:36 AM »

It's also interesting that with the exception of one car, the owner of the business drives the least-valuable vehicle in the parking lot--an '03 Accord with >250k miles on it.  I think I'm pretty close, though, with my '95 Corolla with 234k.
My sister worked for a big defense contractor and it was the opposite. She said the almost all the engineers and executives ate every single meal out or did take-out including several Starbucks a day. The lower earners and tech generally brown bagged it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:51:33 PM by spartana »

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2620 on: July 21, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »
At my workplace--when we return--it will be interesting to see whether the 400-foot elevator ride to street level causes a lot of people to rediscover bringing lunch from home.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2621 on: July 21, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
At my workplace--when we return--it will be interesting to see whether the 400-foot elevator ride to street level causes a lot of people to rediscover bringing lunch from home.

I see a bungee jump opportunity here!   :-)

I remember when I was young (1970's or so) and seeing a National Geographic of New Guinea guys doing a bungee jump (the tower flexed, not the vines to the feet) and thinking, that is a great idea for fun.
Fortunately, I had not hit terminal testosterone puberty yet, so I forgot about it until real  bungee jumping became a thing.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2622 on: July 21, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »

My sister worked for a big defense contractor and it was the opposite. She said the almost all the engineers and executives ate every single meal out or did take-out including several Starbucks a day. The lower earners and tech generally brown bagged it.

This was my experience at my last company and this one too.  At both, I started a trend of brown bagging it for many.  I started eating in the lunch room (vs at my desk), so others joined me.  At both places, people would dig at me for packing a lunch.  Both times I told them the math of how much I saved.  And more people started packing lunch.

I know many of them from a different social circle we share, so I know they have kitchens at home. Some are doing this job as a side gig, some are college or HS students. I know some are struggling financially, but I can't say for sure that they are the ones buying fast food.

When I was in my 20s/early 30s, I ate out SO MUCH.  It was a social thing for me.  I would not be surprised if this is the case.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #2623 on: July 21, 2020, 04:27:07 PM »
When I worked for a large defense contractor the food available on campus was uniformly awful and the drive out to anywhere with good food was too long to make it worthwhile more than occasionally. We were technically salaried but since we had to log all of our hours, an extra half an hour at lunch meant staying an extra half an hour at the end of the day. I learned quickly to pack my own lunch merely to save the time.

When I finally moved to Tech at the end of my career it was an amazing privilege to take a real and relaxing lunch break to eat good food with collčgues. In the grand scheme of things the money the company spent feeding me free meals and snacks wasn’t big compared to salary and benefits, but it was huge for making me feel valued and wanting to stay there.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #2624 on: July 23, 2020, 03:39:01 AM »
E1 - "I would never buy a used house."
E2 - "I've never bought a used house."

Me on the other side of the wall... o_O

Used house? I've never heard anyone call a house a "Used House". I think of new houses as mostly contractor grade materials unless you have it built yourself.

By the River

• Stubble
« Reply #2625 on: July 23, 2020, 07:02:31 AM »

Used house? I've never heard anyone call a house a "Used House". I think of new houses as mostly contractor grade materials unless you have it built yourself.

Wow, I was over 40 before I ever lived in a house built after I was born.  And I probably would have made that forever if a hurricane hadn't wiped out my house.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2626 on: July 23, 2020, 07:09:10 AM »

Wow, I was over 40 before I ever lived in a house built after I was born.  And I probably would have made that forever if a hurricane hadn't wiped out my house.

I'm over 40 and still haven't lived in a house built after I was born. I don't get the obsession with new houses.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2627 on: July 23, 2020, 07:38:36 AM »
To me a "used house" has benefits - all the contractor mistakes are worked out if you're lucky.

Or someone (maybe you) have spent the time to upgrade some of the materials.

Our old house received from us a hardwood floor (not engineered wood, solid wood), a new quality roof, and a quality HVAC system among other things.

Each was a quality step up from what was there.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2628 on: July 23, 2020, 07:49:33 AM »
There's something to be said for new houses too, they're typically much more energy-efficient are more suited to modern conveniences; more power outlets in convenient places, maybe built-in speaker wires / ethernet, garages large enough for modern cars, etc.

But yes, the concept of a "used house" is very bizarre. What's next, complaining about "used land"?!

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #2629 on: July 23, 2020, 07:53:30 AM »
"Used" houses are the best. My house was built a couple of years before I was born, so mid-70s.

The house is done settling. New houses are still settling and owners freak out when they see cracks on the exterior or interior.

We're looking for older homes which aren't in a HOA, and can renovate to the wife's designs, bring them up to code, install efficiency measures.

Having renovated our present home in 2018, we have a finer eye on the current newer homes on the market; materials and work are terrible but asking top shelf pricing. WTF.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:56:18 AM by jinga nation »

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #2630 on: July 23, 2020, 07:55:20 AM »
But yes, the concept of a "used house" is very bizarre. What's next, complaining about "used land"?!

Don't even get started on used water and used air... I told someone once the O2 they breathe was exhaled by a tree. They didn't believe me.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2631 on: July 23, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »

This is why I'm moving to Iceland. I need some new land, not this old, hand-me-down land I have now. I have my standards!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2632 on: July 23, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
Our house was new. That wasn't our plan when we set out looking for a house, but it was just as expensive per square foot as the used houses we were looking at and didn't have any items that needed fixed right off the bat or any upcoming major repairs.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2633 on: July 23, 2020, 09:04:36 AM »
I am not sure she has said it out loud as a criteria, but I have a SIL who only buys new houses.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2634 on: July 23, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
I see alot of new houses with tiny garages. Like impossible to store two medium size vehicles.

Buy an older house built to store two 1970s land yacht cars and you've got space!

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2635 on: July 23, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »
I see alot of new houses with tiny garages. Like impossible to store two medium size vehicles.

Buy an older house built to store two 1970s land yacht cars and you've got space!
This is one of my pet peeves.  Seriously, the incremental cost to the builder to make that garage actually usable (i.e. add four feet of width and three feet of depth) is negligible.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2636 on: July 23, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »

This is one of my pet peeves.  Seriously, the incremental cost to the builder to make that garage actually usable (i.e. add four feet of width and three feet of depth) is negligible.

Snoutier Snout-Houses for the Win!

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2637 on: July 23, 2020, 02:01:53 PM »

Snoutier Snout-Houses for the Win!
LOL, man, I hate those too.  Hooray for making lots as narrow as possible, to minimize road per house!  /s

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2638 on: July 23, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
There's something to be said for new houses too, they're typically much more energy-efficient are more suited to modern conveniences; more power outlets in convenient places, maybe built-in speaker wires / ethernet, garages large enough for modern cars, etc.

My house is from the 40s and I'm really happy with it. It's built with high quality materials and it's still in great shape and doesn't need a whole lot of maintenance. It's actually pretty energy efficient too - in the 40s people didn't have a lot of money to spend on heating and a/c didn't exist so homes were built to be cool in summer and warm in winter. A lot of older homes are much better insulated than properties from the 70s/80s.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2639 on: July 23, 2020, 03:27:06 PM »

Don't even get started on used water and used air... I told someone once the O2 they breathe was exhaled by a tree. They didn't believe me.

There is some probability that your last drink of water contained some H20 molecules peed by a frightened baby dinosaur when it saw a T-Rex coming at it.

(dimensional analysis, make-the-units-cancel problem from freshman year college chemistry class).

techwiz

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2640 on: July 23, 2020, 04:07:18 PM »
Overheard people talking about how it's a great time to buy a new car.

CW1 "The dealerships are currently offering 84 months at 0% no payments for 180 days, so it's free money they are giving away!"
CW2 "Yeah, you can get way more car for your payments now that they price them out over 84 months"

I stayed out of the conversation, but in my mind I was thinking the price of the car must has been increased enough to offset the cost of no interest, plus I don't think they realise 84 months is 7 years payments to pay it off.   

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2641 on: July 23, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »
Overheard people talking about how it's a great time to buy a new car.

CW1 "The dealerships are currently offering 84 months at 0% no payments for 180 days, so it's free money they are giving away!"
CW2 "Yeah, you can get way more car for your payments now that they price them out over 84 months"

I stayed out of the conversation, but in my mind I was thinking the price of the car must has been increased enough to offset the cost of no interest, plus I don't think they realise 84 months is 7 years payments to pay it off.

They will be ready for a new car long before the 7 years is up (she says smugly looking at her 10 year old car with no payments).

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2642 on: July 24, 2020, 04:08:53 AM »

This is why I'm moving to Iceland. I need some new land, not this old, hand-me-down land I have now. I have my standards!

There is going to be a whole lot of totally unused land in the Antartic coming on the market in a few decades. Keep an eye open for early investments!

You got it wrong. That garage is for one SUV!

They will be ready for a new car long before the 7 years is up (she says smugly looking at her 10 year old car with no payments).
Just sell the old car to the dealer for cheap, and he will be happy to roll the new and old payments together. Maybe even for 96 months!

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2643 on: July 24, 2020, 06:46:43 AM »
I'm thinking about all those people who took out 84-month car loans who still have to be making payments right now when they aren't even driving anywhere because the job that justified that car purchase is now a job they can do from home.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2644 on: July 24, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »

The duplex I lived in before we bought our house was built in 1973, so it's younger than me.   Too bad we couldn't buy that thing.

Anyway, our house was build in 1947.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2645 on: July 24, 2020, 11:34:33 AM »

The duplex I lived in before we bought our house was built in 1973, so it's younger than me.   Too bad we couldn't buy that thing.

1919 house checking in.  I'm definitely not that old.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2646 on: July 24, 2020, 11:57:35 AM »

1919 house checking in.  I'm definitely not that old.

1944 house here.  But.... built by and for the Manhattan Project (Hanford Engineer Works).
http://hanford.houses.tripod.com/

My house is actually older than the nearby https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_Historic_District_(Richland,_Washington)

tempted to cross post to the "What is your oldest (functional) possession" thread.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #2647 on: July 24, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »
The concept of buying a new house to me feels so, I don’t know, Texas. As in tons of land and a huge dependence on cars. I grew up in a HCOL area so the oldest houses were almost always the nicest and the best parts of town, whereas the newer houses were on the outskirts of town and furthest away from everything. The “rich” side of town was old houses and the “poor” side was the 80s and 90s subdivisions of cookie cutter tract homes.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2648 on: July 25, 2020, 12:43:55 AM »
Since you all seem so obsessed about house ages, I'll brag a bit.
All the houses I have lived in were build in the 60s, the current one 1963.

My small town still has whole streets from houses before 1800 or even 1700. (Beat that you youngsters in America ;) )
Unfortunately a lot of them unlived in so it is only a matter of time until they implode. Some already have.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2649 on: July 25, 2020, 07:17:22 AM »
Since you all seem so obsessed about house ages, I'll brag a bit.
All the houses I have lived in were build in the 60s, the current one 1963.

My small town still has whole streets from houses before 1800 or even 1700. (Beat that you youngsters in America ;) )
Unfortunately a lot of them unlived in so it is only a matter of time until they implode. Some already have.

My house was built in 1875, is that old enough for you Europeans? :P  I figure if it's stood this long, it must have been built well!