Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1113040 times)

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2450 on: March 27, 2020, 04:16:49 PM »
Just finished a Town Hall on base and the question was raised "We have X housing units, and X assigned parking spaces. What do we do if we have two cars?"  The garrison commander responded (in the most polite tone possible) "We don't have a parking problem, we have a walking problem." He then listed off over 100 additional parking spaces within a block of the apartment towers.

From the same commander just an hour ago...

We're tightening movement on the base due to an outbreak this week. He did a video inside the commissary showing that we have plenty of stock inside, then went outside and did a video where he expressed the following:

https://www.facebook.com/usaghumphreys/videos/573728460019089/

"Buy. Don't shop."

I like this guy, his delivery is spot on.
Thanks for sharing!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2451 on: March 27, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
Just finished a Town Hall on base and the question was raised "We have X housing units, and X assigned parking spaces. What do we do if we have two cars?"  The garrison commander responded (in the most polite tone possible) "We don't have a parking problem, we have a walking problem." He then listed off over 100 additional parking spaces within a block of the apartment towers.

From the same commander just an hour ago...

We're tightening movement on the base due to an outbreak this week. He did a video inside the commissary showing that we have plenty of stock inside, then went outside and did a video where he expressed the following:

https://www.facebook.com/usaghumphreys/videos/573728460019089/

"Buy. Don't shop."

I like this guy, his delivery is spot on.
Thanks for sharing!
OMG, me too! Love this guy! Keep 'em coming.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #2452 on: April 03, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
So I work for big state government and we're all wfh right now. Due to the start of the fiscal year falling on payday and the difficulty in the legislature passing a new budget while not being at the capital, our paychecks were 1 day late. I'm the second lowest paid person in my department and am an administrative assistant.

Most of the people in my office make in the high 5 or low 6 figures. Because I'm the admin assist I've been cc'd on all of the email with people raging about the fact that their paychecks were going to be a day late and how were they going to be able to pay their bills. I've worked with most of these people for 10 years. The majority have big homes and new cars, travel to cool places but can't make it with their paychecks one day late.

One of the supervisors reached out to me and asked me if I was going to be okay (which was very kind of them) but really didn't believe me that I'd be fine. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I could forgo my paycheck for the next 6 months without blinking an eye or having to sell stock. Our expenses are so low that our small emergency fund would last that long.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2453 on: April 03, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
So I work for big state government and we're all wfh right now. Due to the start of the fiscal year falling on payday and the difficulty in the legislature passing a new budget while not being at the capital, our paychecks were 1 day late. I'm the second lowest paid person in my department and am an administrative assistant.

Most of the people in my office make in the high 5 or low 6 figures. Because I'm the admin assist I've been cc'd on all of the email with people raging about the fact that their paychecks were going to be a day late and how were they going to be able to pay their bills. I've worked with most of these people for 10 years. The majority have big homes and new cars, travel to cool places but can't make it with their paychecks one day late.

One of the supervisors reached out to me and asked me if I was going to be okay (which was very kind of them) but really didn't believe me that I'd be fine. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I could forgo my paycheck for the next 6 months without blinking an eye or having to sell stock. Our expenses are so low that our small emergency fund would last that long.

Then your colleagues really wouldn’t survive my workplace, where your paycheck may arrive any time between the 20th and 31st of the month depending on how quickly the local bank and then the foreign bank processes your international wire transfer.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2454 on: April 03, 2020, 04:48:20 PM »
A couple months ago, a coworker was talking about how she was not able to afford masks for her family because she had no money. This was at the height of the epidemic in China. She also could not afford flights out of the country.

Yesterday, she was posting on social media about going all the way to the other side of the city (taking a taxi instead of public transportation of course, due to the virus), and dropping a lot of money on transformers and pizza.

Sigh, I guess some people don’t learn from their mistakes.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2455 on: April 04, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
The guys are watching Extreme Cheapskates.  I have to keep my mouth shut because *some* of the things that they are talking about actually make sense to me (cutting open a toothpaste tube to get the last bit not taking leftovers from other people's table at a restaurant).

I’m not convinced.  Somebody run the cost benefit analysis on the lost scissor longevity from cutting foil laminate

Obviously, you would use a tin snips for this, not your mom's best sewing scissors.
Only after a thorough cleaning, right?
What? The cost of cleaning supplies will consume any toothpaste savings!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2456 on: April 05, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
A close friend has an office/warehouse next to a place that scraps junk cars. He was talking to the scrapyard owner and noticed he had an old Mercedes Benz sitting on concrete blocks that was idling. Turns out the guy tuned the engine to burn the used engine oil he gets out of the cars he is going to scrap. He just lets that old Benz run 24/7/365 burning used engine oil.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2457 on: April 05, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
A close friend has an office/warehouse next to a place that scraps junk cars. He was talking to the scrapyard owner and noticed he had an old Mercedes Benz sitting on concrete blocks that was idling. Turns out the guy tuned the engine to burn the used engine oil he gets out of the cars he is going to scrap. He just lets that old Benz run 24/7/365 burning used engine oil.
WTF?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2458 on: April 05, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »
You'd think there would be some small amount of money to be made, since used engine oil can be recycled and processed into all sorts of stuff, from new motor oil to fuel oil to gasoline, etc.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2459 on: April 05, 2020, 02:21:48 PM »
You'd think there would be some small amount of money to be made, since used engine oil can be recycled and processed into all sorts of stuff, from new motor oil to fuel oil to gasoline, etc.
Find some backyard metal casters who run oil-based furnaces.  They are always on the look out for free oil.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2460 on: April 05, 2020, 05:13:30 PM »
1. mount alternators to the benz oil burner
2. run a battery and some inverters off it
3. set up a crypto mining rig!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2461 on: April 06, 2020, 04:07:06 AM »
Holy Shit!

How much would you wager that this is illegal in more than one way?

Also I guess he doesn't have any neighbors?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2462 on: April 06, 2020, 07:24:46 AM »
I asked another buddy of mine who owns a car scrap yard in a different state what he does with his used oil - he saves all of it and heats his house and shop with it in the winter.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2463 on: April 17, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
I asked another buddy of mine who owns a car scrap yard in a different state what he does with his used oil - he saves all of it and heats his house and shop with it in the winter.

Waste oil heat is pretty common here, but then heating oil (diesel) is common here as well.

Almost every jiffy-lube and shade-tree mechanic heats with waste oil.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2464 on: April 17, 2020, 09:57:55 PM »

Waste oil heat is pretty common here, but then heating oil (diesel) is common here as well.

Almost every jiffy-lube and shade-tree mechanic heats with waste oil.

I make fries with it!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2465 on: May 18, 2020, 02:23:29 AM »
"It's getting hot out. Can't ride my bike anymore."

Wait, what?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2466 on: May 18, 2020, 05:01:13 PM »

Wait, what?

And in the winter it’s too cold

And in the spring it’s too rainy

And don’t forget the windy windy fall time

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2467 on: May 18, 2020, 08:02:58 PM »

Wait, what?

I absolutely hated riding my bike during winter. I need a quality face mask that can easily come off when I get to the gate guard.  Except for the rains, the weather is awesome right now.  I have to admit to driving today though. I have to drive my car once a week to keep the battery from dying, and today's rainy day seemed appropriate.  With the virus restricting the number of gates we've had open, riding my bike has been two or three times faster than driving because I get to use a separate entrance.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2468 on: May 18, 2020, 08:14:43 PM »

Wait, what?

I absolutely hated riding my bike during winter. I need a quality face mask that can easily come off when I get to the gate guard.  Except for the rains, the weather is awesome right now.  I have to admit to driving today though. I have to drive my car once a week to keep the battery from dying, and today's rainy day seemed appropriate.  With the virus restricting the number of gates we've had open, riding my bike has been two or three times faster than driving because I get to use a separate entrance.

I got a neoprene mask to wear when riding my motorcycle years ago. I haven't actually tried it on the bike (I'm one of those lazy bums who only ride when the weather is pleasant), but I bet it'd work well enough.

Mine is only for half the face, but something like this on Amazon would probably be perfect.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2469 on: May 18, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »

Wait, what?

I got a neoprene mask to wear when riding my motorcycle years ago. I haven't actually tried it on the bike (I'm one of those lazy bums who only ride when the weather is pleasant), but I bet it'd work well enough.

Mine is only for half the face, but something like this on Amazon would probably be perfect.

I have a cheap wool balaclava that barely keeps me warm and my nose just soaks the front of it by the time I get to my destination. If that thing is breathable and keeps my nose from running I'll jump right on it.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2470 on: May 19, 2020, 04:59:59 AM »

Wait, what?

I have a cheap wool balaclava that barely keeps me warm and my nose just soaks the front of it by the time I get to my destination. If that thing is breathable and keeps my nose from running I'll jump right on it.

I don't remember my nose running, but my sunglasses did often fog up when I wasn't moving with my current one. I ended up holding my breath at red lights and stop signs.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #2471 on: May 19, 2020, 09:05:56 AM »
Most people that I work with have no idea the basic way that investing in a 401k or investing in general works. Here is the short version of the conversation the other day.

Co-worker: I got out after losing 5k in March and no longer put anything into my 401k.
Me: I stayed in, kept my paycheck 401k deduction the same, and I am back up to where I was before the market started to tank in late Feb.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2472 on: May 19, 2020, 09:09:00 PM »
Most people that I work with have no idea the basic way that investing in a 401k or investing in general works. Here is the short version of the conversation the other day.

Co-worker: I got out after losing 5k in March and no longer put anything into my 401k.
Me: I stayed in, kept my paycheck 401k deduction the same, and I am back up to where I was before the market started to tank in late Feb.

I’ve had the same conversation in the past. It makes me want to slam my head against the wall.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2473 on: May 20, 2020, 07:30:50 AM »

I’ve had the same conversation in the past. It makes me want to slam my head against the wall.

At this point my standard reply for everyone except my closest coworkers who know better is "Oh, I haven't really been paying attention." 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2474 on: May 27, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
Coworker just told us that his wife just traded her less-than-two-year-old Google Pixel 3 for a Samsung s20. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2475 on: May 27, 2020, 06:10:01 PM »
Coworker just told us that his wife just traded her less-than-two-year-old Google Pixel 3 for a Samsung s20.

Wait, they're up to 20 now? I just replaced DW's S5.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2476 on: May 27, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »

I think they skipped from S10 to S20.  Dunno what was wrong with S11.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2477 on: May 27, 2020, 06:52:35 PM »

I'm guessing they might be starting to just go with "model years."  Like "this is the new 2027 Samsung" like cars.  Honestly, it would keep things simple. 

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #2478 on: May 28, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »

I'm guessing they might be starting to just go with "model years."  Like "this is the new 2027 Samsung" like cars.  Honestly, it would keep things simple.

Or maybe a combination of that and trying to make people think they’re ten models behind so they “must” upgrade!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2479 on: June 05, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
I've spent a few years working with a "Spendy" co-worker. Leases cars, arranges for professional photo-shoots in foreign cities, etc. She recently started a new relationship, and I thought this new bf would have a good influence on her because he talks a lot about Dave Ramsey.

Well, Wednesday of this week, she tells me that boyfriend wants to get a motor home. They're quarantining together, and he sees right now as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to work (remotely) while on the road. But to get the cash to pull off this deal, he's planning to borrow against his 401(K). She texted me a picture of the trailer.

On Thursday--literally the day after he bought the camper--boyfriend learned that he was being switched to hourly pay "without commission". He's heard about other situations where that's a prelude to job separation, which would make that 401(K) loan...awkward.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #2480 on: June 05, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
On Thursday--literally the day after he bought the camper--boyfriend learned that he was being switched to hourly pay "without commission". He's heard about other situations where that's a prelude to job separation, which would make that 401(K) loan...awkward.

Ouch, that has to hurt. Even if he keeps his job, it doesn't seem like he's following Ramsey principles, so I wouldn't expect him to have too much of a positive influence on your co-worker.. Hopefully it will go better for them than it seems like it's going right now.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2481 on: June 05, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »

Ouch, that has to hurt. Even if he keeps his job, it doesn't seem like he's following Ramsey principles, so I wouldn't expect him to have too much of a positive influence on your co-worker.. Hopefully it will go better for them than it seems like it's going right now.

Funny thing, influence... it works both ways sometimes.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2482 on: June 05, 2020, 03:38:47 PM »

Except they had been releasing new version every 6-8 months, so they were catching up.  Now they'll end up ahead.  If the next is S30 I'm going to be really annoyed.  Nvidia did same thing with video cards going from GTX 500,600,700,800m,900,1000, then 2000...I think there might be some unlucky numbers or something in the 11-19 range for Asian cultures?  I love intuitive naming schemes that stick around for many years.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2483 on: June 08, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »
I've spent a few years working with a "Spendy" co-worker. Leases cars, arranges for professional photo-shoots in foreign cities, etc. She recently started a new relationship, and I thought this new bf would have a good influence on her because he talks a lot about Dave Ramsey.

Well, Wednesday of this week, she tells me that boyfriend wants to get a motor home. They're quarantining together, and he sees right now as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to work (remotely) while on the road. But to get the cash to pull off this deal, he's planning to borrow against his 401(K). She texted me a picture of the trailer.

Hopefully he's in a state that allows a "cool-off" period after major purchases.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2484 on: June 08, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
Just traded communications, and it sounds like he's planning to keep the camper.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2485 on: June 08, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »
Just traded communications, and it sounds like he's planning to keep the camper.

I'm sure he deserves it, with the extra stress. /Sarcasm

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #2486 on: June 09, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
I had a co-worker tell me that she and her family were planning on buying a motorhome. Internally I cried a bit, but gave her the Thumbsup because I knew it wouldn't matter.

I have stopped telling co-workers that if our employer pulls any more shit "I'm gonna retire." Tired of having people argue that it's impossible.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2487 on: June 10, 2020, 05:14:13 AM »
Due to travel bans, many of my expat coworkers have not been able to return to China. I found out today that some of them continue to:

- Run their AC and dehumidifier 24/7 = $200/month
- Pay their ayi to air out the house and dust and empty the dehumidifier = $1000/month

They are paying $1200/month to basically prevent mold from forming. The local way of preventing mold is to open all the windows to create air circulation. The day before you return, you send the ayi to do a full wipe down/cleaning. If you want to keep ayi employed out of compassion, you send ayi in everyday to clean and air things out, and you save yourself $200/month in electricity costs to cool an empty apartment.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2488 on: June 10, 2020, 05:16:46 AM »
I was chatting with another ayi today who said the family she works for often buys very expensive groceries from the expat market, spending around $200 each time and purchasing several times per week. She then said that often, things will go bad and her job often entails cleaning out the fridge and throwing away things that have gone bad.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2489 on: June 10, 2020, 05:47:26 AM »
I was chatting with another ayi today who said the family she works for often buys very expensive groceries from the expat market, spending around $200 each time and purchasing several times per week. She then said that often, things will go bad and her job often entails cleaning out the fridge and throwing away things that have gone bad.
That is one of the things I can never wrap my head around. WTH buy so much you are in constant danger of having to throw away things? Especially if you go shopping several times anyway.

I mean it can happen with some small rests of fresh produce or mini-leftovers where you don't find a reasonable way to use it, but I doubt that is meant.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2490 on: June 10, 2020, 06:38:31 AM »
That is one of the things I can never wrap my head around. WTH buy so much you are in constant danger of having to throw away things? Especially if you go shopping several times anyway.

I mean it can happen with some small rests of fresh produce or mini-leftovers where you don't find a reasonable way to use it, but I doubt that is meant.

Oh, they don’t GO shopping. They pay a delivery fee to have the premium, imported groceries delivered to their door, and then they eventually let the food rot in the fridge.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2491 on: June 10, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »

Oh, they don’t GO shopping. They pay a delivery fee to have the premium, imported groceries delivered to their door, and then they eventually let the food rot in the fridge.

I am truly fascinated by this. What is going through their minds as they make these purchases?? Do they simply forget that they have food in the fridge already? Do they not know that food goes bad? Do they think, "Oh, I don't feel like eating that, so I'll buy something else" and they just don't care that they're wasting food & money?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2492 on: June 10, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »

Maybe he can live in it. Sell his house or move out of his apartment whatever the case... ;)

Re: dehumidifier. Some have internal pumps and empty themselves automatically if placed near a floor drain or sink.

I'd like to think they are being kind and employing their housekeeper out of compassion and loyalty.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:07:13 PM by Just Joe »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2493 on: June 10, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »
Ayi wages have improved since I was last in China! Glad to hear it.

MrTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2494 on: June 10, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
Years ago, when I was learning my first big boy job, a project manager was coaching me on a bad habit I had at the time.

PM: (Bad habit) is like going shopping, when you don't know what your credit limit is.  You wouldn't do that, would you?
Me: What's a credit limit? (Asking honestly, I was young and didn't know things)
PM: WHAT?  You ACTUALLY don't know your credit limit?
Me (concerned): Uhhh, no...is that important?

Then he told me all about how credit cards work and how important it is to find out my credit limit RIGHT NOW and make sure I never go over the limit on my credit card, or something REALLY BAD will happen.  When I got back to my desk, I frantically checked my bank account online and couldn't find this credit limit thing anywhere so I called their customer service, where a nice lady patiently explained to clueless me that my debit card is not the same thing as a credit card.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2495 on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:11 PM »
Years ago, when I was learning my first big boy job, a project manager was coaching me on a bad habit I had at the time.

PM: (Bad habit) is like going shopping, when you don't know what your credit limit is.  You wouldn't do that, would you?
Me: What's a credit limit? (Asking honestly, I was young and didn't know things)

Then he told me all about how credit cards work and how important it is to find out my credit limit RIGHT NOW and make sure I never go over the limit on my credit card, or something REALLY BAD will happen.  When I got back to my desk, I frantically checked my bank account online and couldn't find this credit limit thing anywhere so I called their customer service, where a nice lady patiently explained to clueless me that my debit card is not the same thing as a credit card.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh! It's ok, everyone starts out not knowing things. You clearly learned.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2496 on: June 11, 2020, 04:56:04 AM »

LOL. Thanks for the laugh! It's ok, everyone starts out not knowing things. You clearly learned.

Now imagine those lady having to do a talk like this ten times a day. Could make you lose all faith in humanity ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2497 on: June 11, 2020, 12:35:42 PM »
Most debit cards do have daily spending limits, which is definitely something you would need to know before going shopping or REALLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN.  Ok I guess you just get declined.  But you need to know your account balance or REALLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN like overdraft fees

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2498 on: June 13, 2020, 08:18:55 PM »

Now imagine those lady having to do a talk like this ten times a day. Could make you lose all faith in humanity ;)
I've been that lady. Honestly as long as the caller didn't start screaming, I was happy to have that conversation all day long. The ones that make you lose faith in humanity are the ones who cannot take in new information and get abusive when you refuse to answer an illogical either-or question as a binary, e.g. following up an explanation of credit vs. debit with "You're either incompetent or a criminal, you can't or won't answer basic questions, DO YOU KNOW MY DEBIT CARD'S CREDIT LIMIT, YES or NO?" Bonus points if they're in some kind of prestige profession that would normally imply a functioning intellect.

Apologies to anybody who's worked phone service and just mentally flashed back through a montage of reasons you wanted to FIRE.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2499 on: June 14, 2020, 12:55:28 AM »
The other day at work a coworker was sharing his story about how he somehow ended up paying some random stranger's phone bill; $50/month every month for 3 years before he noticed.

Everyone laughed about it and seemed to completely understand how easily someone could overlook a $50 monthly charge. I wonder how many people have hundreds or thousands of dollars a year draining out of their bank accounts to pay for services they don't even use, that they don't even realize they're paying for?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!