Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112812 times)

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2400 on: March 09, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
 Gwen shouldn't be planning on staying at that location.... if somehow she manages to, then God really does work in strange ways.

Also this ** "Unsurprisingly, she's not getting a recommendation from our boss to be brought onto the new contract " **

Seems to me the boss shouldn't be picked up under the new contract either, they have been aware of Gwen's attendance history , right ?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2401 on: March 09, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
I also loved payday.  Loved to see the savings racking up.  One co-worker said "It makes no difference because it's already spent."

I love payday for the same reason. DW and I tell each other  - look at what we didn't spend last month and this month we're adding another lump of salaries to that amount!

Its like slow motion Monopoly.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2402 on: March 09, 2020, 06:15:04 PM »
"Slow motion Monopoly" - that's great!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2403 on: March 09, 2020, 08:11:27 PM »
Gwen shouldn't be planning on staying at that location.... if somehow she manages to, then God really does work in strange ways.

Also this ** "Unsurprisingly, she's not getting a recommendation from our boss to be brought onto the new contract " **

Seems to me the boss shouldn't be picked up under the new contract either, they have been aware of Gwen's attendance history , right ?

I work in Gov contracting too.
Contract leads will not let someone go for poor performance in some cases, as the firing has to be explained to the Gov customer. Some gov customers view this negatively as poor hiring process by the prime/sub contractor. This is why contract primes/subs keep records and keep this under wraps until the contract is up for bid or expires. Also, they don't give the poor performer raises, hoping the person will find a better job and leave. Her raises and bonuses go to other team members who make up for her slack.
It isn't her supervisor's fault if he wasn't involved in hiring her. Also boss's upline makes staffing decisions.
It's a game of Poker in real life.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2404 on: March 09, 2020, 08:25:10 PM »
I also loved payday.  Loved to see the savings racking up.  One co-worker said "It makes no difference because it's already spent."

I love payday for the same reason. DW and I tell each other  - look at what we didn't spend last month and this month we're adding another lump of salaries to that amount!

Its like slow motion Monopoly.

Even better if you're paid in cash like Monopoly.

I was at my first job and it was glorious.

Magic Mocha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2405 on: March 10, 2020, 08:36:08 AM »

Contract leads will not let someone go for poor performance in some cases, as the firing has to be explained to the Gov customer. Some gov customers view this negatively as poor hiring process by the prime/sub contractor. This is why contract primes/subs keep records and keep this under wraps until the contract is up for bid or expires. Also, they don't give the poor performer raises, hoping the person will find a better job and leave. Her raises and bonuses go to other team members who make up for her slack.
It isn't her supervisor's fault if he wasn't involved in hiring her. Also boss's upline makes staffing decisions.

Strongly agree. Saw a lot of stuff like this at my last gig too while I helped staffing between PMs.

There are a lot of political/contract detail factors that didn't warrant mention in the post, but suffice it to say our boss is smart, and she has good reasons for letting the contract run its course rather than firing Gwen. Thankfully just about everyone else on the team are rockstars that I'll get to learn a lot from.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2406 on: March 10, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »

Yes.  I worked FOR the government in my prior life (military but in a co military/ civilian job), and firing people was impossible - unless someone threatened to kill you.  That happened to someone I know once!

Usually you tried to promote someone to where they were someone else's problem.

Hubby's company, I think, uses this method of not giving raises or telling people "there is no contract for you to work on", hoping they will leave.  They've had a few bad hires.  I'm not sure why some folks are really slow to fire, though I get you want to give people a chance. 

We also had a number of bad hires - mostly middle-aged men - at that age, I've noticed that some people interview REALLY well but were not able to perform.  We had an equal number of GOOD hires in that same category.  The difference?  People who were recommended by current employees were almost always (with one or two exceptions), top notch.  People who we got from "outside" it was hit or miss. 

One of my bosses was the first guy to actually fire someone.  He went through the process of trying to get him to improve, and then basically said "do you want to be here?  You aren't performing."  Essentially convinced the guy to leave after his 1 year mark.  As soon as that happened, the floodgates opened.  The other VPs and directors said "wait, we can fire people?"  And 1-2 others were let go.  We had 3-4 others be let go later also (they hadn't even been hired yet, in fact some of them were hired to replace the first guy we let go.)  BUT we aren't a government contractor.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #2407 on: March 10, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
Recently started a cushy office job in gov't contracting. There's a coworker I really don't understand, let's call her Gwen.

• She's 32 with 2 kids - single, with shared custody of them with dad
  • No degree
  • High-level clearance
  • Makes at least 85k, likely more.

Bonus: She freely admits she owes over 100k in legal fees from custody battles over her kids.

I think part of the answer is the high-level clearance - people with those can be hard to come by
(although if she has that much legal debt, she may be at risk of losing it).

Another question would be is the group fully staffed. It’s a bit contradictory to be asking for more people and at the same time firing people for non performance. When I first started working, the program I was on was transitioning from preliminary design phase to detail design phase, which means significantly growing the headcount. We had a lot of contractors, one of whom wasn’t productive and had a tendency to fall asleep at his desk. He had been that way for a few months... iirc the day we were considered fully staffed was the day our manager terminated his employment.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2408 on: March 10, 2020, 01:52:09 PM »
Recently started a cushy office job in gov't contracting. There's a coworker I really don't understand, let's call her Gwen.

• No degree
  • High-level clearance

Bonus: She freely admits she owes over 100k in legal fees from custody battles over her kids.

I think part of the answer is the high-level clearance - people with those can be hard to come by

Technically, if you know of a reason that someone with a clearance is a security risk -- lots of debt they can't handle is one of them! -- it's your duty to report that to a security officer.

Magic Mocha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2409 on: March 11, 2020, 08:44:06 AM »

Another question would be is the group fully staffed. It’s a bit contradictory to be asking for more people and at the same time firing people for non performance. When I first started working, the program I was on was transitioning from preliminary design phase to detail design phase, which means significantly growing the headcount. We had a lot of contractors, one of whom wasn’t productive and had a tendency to fall asleep at his desk. He had been that way for a few months... iirc the day we were considered fully staffed was the day our manager terminated his employment.

Ding ding ding on both counts. Very insightful - you've clearly played this game before.

She had an even higher level clearance before, but let it lapse at this job "by accident" (her words). I don't know about her, but the difference in salary & recruiter interest before and after my own clearance was night and day. A job would have to offer me a LOT for me to let that lapse.

As for staffing, you're on the nose. Prior to myself and another PM joining, they'd gone through 3 PMs in about 8 months. Lest you think this job or the Senior PM is hellish and unfair:
  • One just...stopped showing up after their first week.
  • Another left a 1.5 months in for a different dream job.
  • The third regularly watched Netflix at his cube right next to the boss, and seemed to have serious short term memory issues that made him unable to do his job.

For the insane 120k they pay, it's a cakewalk, and I'm kind of offended at how low the bar is for employee productivity for that kind of salary.

Keeping things remotely thread-related, by contrast the Senior PM is great, and we bonded early about Mint and proper budgeting. During slower periods I can often catch her tweaking personal finance things in Google Sheets.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2410 on: March 11, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »

Technically, if you know of a reason that someone with a clearance is a security risk -- lots of debt they can't handle is one of them! -- it's your duty to report that to a security officer.

uhm, be careful how you phrase that.  Lots of debt is just one "red flag" and that red flag will come out through regular scheduled background checks.   That and other factors may lead to a deeper investigation. 
If you KNOW of a reason that someone with a clearance is a security risk, then you report a breach.  You don't report based on "oh, they have a lot of debt".  Although, if you truly suspect and there are multiple red flags, then by all means, report.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2411 on: March 11, 2020, 12:58:40 PM »

uhm, be careful how you phrase that.  Lots of debt is just one "red flag" and that red flag will come out through regular scheduled background checks.   That and other factors may lead to a deeper investigation. 
If you KNOW of a reason that someone with a clearance is a security risk, then you report a breach.  You don't report based on "oh, they have a lot of debt".  Although, if you truly suspect and there are multiple red flags, then by all means, report.

Please note I did not say, "Lots of debt."   I said, "Lots of debt they can't handle."   

If you know they are drowning in debt they are a security risk.     If they can handle that debt despite what they said or did that clued you into their problem, that will come out in the security review.   If they can't, well, they can't and they *are* a security risk.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2412 on: March 11, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »

Please note I did not say, "Lots of debt."   I said, "Lots of debt they can't handle."   

If you know they are drowning in debt they are a security risk.     If they can handle that debt despite what they said or did that clued you into their problem, that will come out in the security review.   If they can't, well, they can't and they *are* a security risk.

This might count as a Mustacian Money Problem for me, but I prefer that people think I'm broke.  That includes the people I work with.  They all think that I'll "be working until noon on the day of my funeral."  I suspect that at least some of them have caught on (because why would a broke person know exactly what the TSP max is and how much that is per paycheck?), but those who don't might do the math and wonder why someone making as much money as I do always seem broke.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2413 on: March 11, 2020, 02:05:50 PM »

This might count as a Mustacian Money Problem for me, but I prefer that people think I'm broke.  That includes the people I work with.  They all think that I'll "be working until noon on the day of my funeral."  I suspect that at least some of them have caught on (because why would a broke person know exactly what the TSP max is and how much that is per paycheck?), but those who don't might do the math and wonder why someone making as much money as I do always seem broke.
[/quote]
I think there's a difference between letting people assume you're broke and actively lamenting about how much you owe or talking about how much you spend (compared to what you make).   I'm sure I appear broke to some people, and I don't discourage that.   And according to Payroll, I'm the only one that reports it on the rare occasion that pay doesn't hit the bank by 9am on payday.   If they want to think I'm checking because I don't have enough money for lunch, I let them.....but really it's because I want to move the money out of my chequing account and put it to work.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #2414 on: March 11, 2020, 02:28:20 PM »

I carpooled for a couple of years with someone in the Washington, DC area with a high level security clearance.  It was a bit over a year for her to get her security clearance, which was considered pretty standard for an employee of a government contractor.  The contractor in question had to pay her full time salary for that whole year, while all she could work on was "make-work", since she didn't have the clearance yet.  She also told me as soon as the clearance came through, she would start getting head hunted by other, similar companies, since they wouldn't have to pay her for that waiting year. 

Sadly, no great stories to share from where I work, generally fairly responsible people with money I think.  I did have a former boss I wondered about after he got laid off some years ago, he always bought "the most expensive" of anything because he didn't want to have to research it and he figured it was probably good quality.  He had a darned good income, so maybe he could afford it, but I wonder about his savings. . .

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2415 on: March 11, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »

• No degree
  • High-level clearance

What level of clearance do you consider to be "high" and "hard to find"?

What are the levels, anyway? 
Confidential - Secret - Top Secret?  Is that it?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2416 on: March 11, 2020, 10:21:46 PM »

Different agencies have somewhat different schemes.

The one I'm familiar with, used by DoD, is Secret, Top Secret, Top Secret -  SCI (Secure, Compartmentalized Information).

A Top Secret - SCI, abbreviated TS-SCI, allows access to a specific set of information.   So, the information about the existence of The Avengers' secret base might be TS-SCI.    But someone who had that specific TS-SCI access would not also be automatically given access to information about a TS-SCI setup about a super-secret submarine base hidden in the Aral Sea.   Each would have its own unique list of people authorized access to those particular groups of secrets.

There are three big red flags to watch for. 

1) Evidence of anti-US political ideas or actions.    Considering Trump to be kleptocrat and an ignoramus is not an example of an anti-US political idea.   Neither is saying one disagrees with something the US has done.   Sorry, no good example for this one, it's late and my mind went blank on it.

2) Serious money problems.  People with serious money problems are prime targets to be bribed for classified information.

3) Something they do not want known.   A married person having an affair is a prime target to be blackmailed.   Being openly gay isn't a security risk, but being a closet gay is, because someone who doesn't want that info to be revealed can be blackmailed over it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2417 on: March 12, 2020, 03:30:54 AM »
In those 6 months, her work schedule for our 9-5 job is:
  • Get in at 10
  • On good days, "work" from 10-3, with an hour lunch
  • On bad days, "work" from 10-11, then she's out of the office from 11-2:30
  • 2:30 - 3 Eat lunch (always a local restaurant or Uber Eats) & chat with us
  • Leave at 3.

Oh this hits close to home.

My company, like many, is in capital-preservation mode since we expect revenue to be down at least $2 million this year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Budgets are being cut, a hiring freeze has been put in place, and the mood is just starting to turn for the worst.

This evening my boss' boss told me that my team's jobs are secure, apart from one - questions are being asked about her productivity.

I immediately named some things that this co-worker could take over for me, to justify her own salary and lighten my workload a little.

It was an instinctive, automatic urge to protect this co-worker, because we're the last two full-time members of a close-knit team that underwent drastic changes after the business was sold a year ago.

Unfortunately she believes in late starts, long lunches, and speaking her mind more than toeing the line (speaking your mind is fine if you have a strong track record and social capital to expend, which she does not).

She's also over 60 with a mortgage.

I want to save her job but it would be an enormous help if she could see the writing on the wall and was committed to saving it too!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2418 on: March 12, 2020, 05:15:58 AM »

Different agencies have somewhat different schemes.

The one I'm familiar with, used by DoD, is Secret, Top Secret, Top Secret -  SCI (Secure, Compartmentalized Information).

A Top Secret - SCI, abbreviated TS-SCI, allows access to a specific set of information.   So, the information about the existence of The Avengers' secret base might be TS-SCI.    But someone who had that specific TS-SCI access would not also be automatically given access to information about a TS-SCI setup about a super-secret submarine base hidden in the Aral Sea.   Each would have its own unique list of people authorized access to those particular groups of secrets.

There are three big red flags to watch for. 

1) Evidence of anti-US political ideas or actions.    Considering Trump to be kleptocrat and an ignoramus is not an example of an anti-US political idea.   Neither is saying one disagrees with something the US has done.   Sorry, no good example for this one, it's late and my mind went blank on it.

2) Serious money problems.  People with serious money problems are prime targets to be bribed for classified information.

3) Something they do not want known.   A married person having an affair is a prime target to be blackmailed.   Being openly gay isn't a security risk, but being a closet gay is, because someone who doesn't want that info to be revealed can be blackmailed over it.

Membership in hate groups or those presenting extremist political views (such as the violent overthrow of the government). Regularly posting related material on social media or talking about it in public.

#4 Expressing a little too much interest in classified material not important to your work. In addition to having a valid security clearance you also have to have a "need to know." I hold a TS-SCI, but there are programs in my office that are still none of my business. If I'm asking about those things too often, even if it appears to be out of idle curiosity, I should be watched because the next step might be trying to acquire that information on my own.

#5 Personal or social life issues. Private Manning had gender identity issues and caught all kinds of crap from his chain of command for being a bit odd socially and for not being a very good soldier.  If you have concerns about someone's behavioral health and work ethic, it's not a good idea in those circumstances to let them have unsupervised and unfettered access to the entire Top Secret database.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2419 on: March 12, 2020, 06:39:13 AM »
Membership in hate groups or those presenting extremist political views (such as the violent overthrow of the government). Regularly posting related material on social media or talking about it in public.

According to German police, you are a leftist extremist if you criticize police or billionaires for their actions.

Anyway, "extremist" is such a nice rubber band word. Everyone can be an extremist, but those who shed light on wrongdoings of the government generally are.

For example, if you are openly critisicizing that the US has a law that allows it's troops to "free" US soldiers from e.g. the International Criminal Court by means of an military attack on The Hague, you are likely to be a dangerous extremist with a file in some agency.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2420 on: March 12, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
Sad thing is that these days, the amount of interest you get on savings accounts makes it hardly worth the effort to move money back and forth for cash flow reasons.  I usually just leave a bunch of money in the checking account and then when it gets too big transfer a bunch up to an investment account.
MMM World Problems MPP
FTFY - We already have a perfectly good term for that. They're called Mustachian People Problems, MPP's for short.

A long, long, time ago, in my pre-FIRE days, I was paid on straight commission. We were paid the previous month's commission on a monthly basis. Since the amount could vary wildly, I got used to living on the last month's paycheck, which was actually the month before that's earnings. Still with me? My game was to wait until i had accrued couple of checks worth of budgeted expeditures in my checking account, then sweep the excess into taxable investments. It prevented running out of month and nasty surprises if commissions dipped. I liked having everything set up on a monthly basis, except that we were required to submit separate expense reports weekly. I chose to just ignore those checks and let them accrue in the virtually zero-interest-paying checking account, the way @bostonjim does. Because, of course the company wouldn't let me direct the randomized* reimbursement checks into an investment account. "Who could afford to do that?" was always their response. MPP for sure.

*Because they processed our expenses seemingly at whim. Sometimes we got the reimbursement checks weekly, but usually they were quite lumpy. Gah, this is dredging up scum I thought I'd successfully repressed...time to move on before I break out in hives, lol.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2421 on: March 12, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
Sensitive Compartmented Information.  Technically, SCI is a caveat rather than an actual level, so those levels would be Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret. Reference
Executive Order 13526.
--eta--
Section 1.2

--eta2--
They start with public trust, confidential, secret, TS, TS-SCI, Special Access, Yankee White.
SCI, SA, YW, etc are caveats and not levels of classification.

--eta3--
To answer Sword Guy if you hold those clearance (or other DoD or DoJ ones) you are given periodical reinvestigations every 5 years if nothing comes up before that that needs to be investigated. Usually someone's financials will be known long before that.
@spartana Just an FYI. They're moving away from PRs and towards a continuous evaluation system so red flags are identified earlier than the 5/10 year mark.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:03:11 PM by Kierun »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2422 on: March 12, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »

[/quote]

Okay, @SwordGuy the "they can't handle" part makes your case for you.  I am just concerned that some judgey person is going to look at co-workers and assume they know more about their financial situation than they do. 

Here's the obligation to report financial problems (very broad and vague: 

Any financial considerations that indicate an inability or an unwillingness to satisfy debts. Examples include:
Not meeting financial obligations, such as a mortgage foreclosure, bankruptcy, debt collections, charge-offs, or failure to pay State and Federal taxes;
Financial problems linked to gambling, drug abuse, alcoholism; or
Other financial issues.

They start with public trust, confidential, secret, TS, TS-SCI, Special Access, Yankee White.

Special Access programs come with a codeword designation.   I've only been on one of those and I was brought in so quickly that I never had more than a "handshake" as a read-in. These ones can be so secret, that you can't even acknowledge their existence.  So rather than saying "I'm not at liberty to discuss that", you have to actively lie about what you're doing or where you're going.  That sucks even more than saying "sorry honey, I can't talk about my work".  I honestly don't think people realize how draining it is to not be able to tell your loved ones what you do. 

Yankee White - I think that's all White House stuff.  Not my wheelhouse.   

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2423 on: March 12, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
I got read in to one where there was one place, and one place only, a very special place, where you could talk about it.  Say one word about it anywhere else and you were violating security.

I also have a few stories that I can never tell.  Fun stuff. 

Well, it can be.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2424 on: March 12, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »

Okay, @SwordGuy the "they can't handle" part makes your case for you.  I am just concerned that some judgey person is going to look at co-workers and assume they know more about their financial situation than they do. 

Any financial considerations that indicate an inability or an unwillingness to satisfy debts. Examples include:
Not meeting financial obligations, such as a mortgage foreclosure, bankruptcy, debt collections, charge-offs, or failure to pay State and Federal taxes;
Other financial issues.

Special Access programs come with a codeword designation.   I've only been on one of those and I was brought in so quickly that I never had more than a "handshake" as a read-in. These ones can be so secret, that you can't even acknowledge their existence.  So rather than saying "I'm not at liberty to discuss that", you have to actively lie about what you're doing or where you're going.  That sucks even more than saying "sorry honey, I can't talk about my work".  I honestly don't think people realize how draining it is to not be able to tell your loved ones what you do. 

The Department of Energy has (had?) 5 clearance levels.  Q, Top Secret, L, Secret, Work Approval ie "0". 
The letter clearances correspond to the DOD clearances but add "Restricted Data" ie nuclear weapons info or access to special nuclear materials.
https://fas.org/sgp/classdoe.htm

I only had a "0"- read "zero"
When I was assigned to PUREX lab, I entered through the guardshack (razor wire, fully automatic weapons etc, my badge was physically touched).
I sat down at my desk, within 15 minutes, someone who hadn't seen me escorted in asked "are you allowed to be here"?  My response was, "well the guards didn't shoot at me when I entered".
Everyone else had a Q, but most were in the process of being given L clearances, as "production" of  special nuclear materials had ended.

The reporting requirements list included:
Unofficial contact with a (DOE) Sensitive Country
Arrests, detentions, convictions
Bankruptcy
Traffic Fines over  100 dollars - onsite tickets got close, but rarely over, as security did not want to deal with the fight for a reportable fine.
Foreign Travel, Official and separately, All Other
Name change
Theft or Misuse of Govt. property
Violations and Infractions
Vulnerabilities
All had separate phone #

I kept the 1992 paper that had this info, as it was the only place I've ever seen an emergency action of RUN on a safety brief.  This was for the criticality alarm.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2425 on: March 13, 2020, 04:00:54 AM »

Other financial issues.

All the damn time.  It's very rare I can tell my wife how my day actually went.  My uncle did imagery analysis for the Air Force. All his wife would say is that he did "all that secret shit."  I don't think she ever really knew the full story until after he retired.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2426 on: March 13, 2020, 05:40:32 AM »
I got read in to one where there was one place, and one place only, a very special place, where you could talk about it.  Say one word about it anywhere else and you were violating security.

Well, it can be.

In Germany if Representatives want to look at the top secret stuff, there is a special room. Nothign is allowed, no phone, no pencil. Eyes only in the literal sense. And of course they are not allowed to talk about what they read. And still have to judge and make laws based on this...

Anyway, there is of course also a watch person. And nothing else. And this person can kick you out of the room if he says you are not following the rules.
If you ever thought you, the voter, through your representatives, are the souvereign, then remember that there is a person who can stop everyone accessing material about life threatening dangers.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2427 on: March 13, 2020, 06:34:43 AM »

Well, it can be.

In Germany if Representatives want to look at the top secret stuff, there is a special room. Nothign is allowed, no phone, no pencil. Eyes only in the literal sense. And of course they are not allowed to talk about what they read. And still have to judge and make laws based on this...

Anyway, there is of course also a watch person. And nothing else. And this person can kick you out of the room if he says you are not following the rules.
If you ever thought you, the voter, through your representatives, are the souvereign, then remember that there is a person who can stop everyone accessing material about life threatening dangers.
  And if they are seen to abuse that delegated authority the legislators will take it away from them or replace them.  It's a fine line between the two needs.

Wise legislatures recognize that there are some things they will be collectively bad at and set up systems to remove themselves from temptation.   In this case, the temptation to release info to the public for personal gain that would harm the nation.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2428 on: March 13, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
Sorry to interrupt the fascinating classified discussion but I finally have something to contribute to the thread.
 Yesterday our CEO and VP sent out mass emails about our company’s stance on handling the corona virus. They played it off as no big deal, not as bad as the flu, everyone wash your hands and wipe down surfaces regularly and if we just heed our parents advice of being sensible and staying clean then we will all be fine. Oh, and go get a flu shot if you haven’t already because that will help tremendously! Then they ended the emails with quotes from Fox News.

I work in a hotel with a bar and restaurant that caters to wealthy retirees of a certain age. I think I might put in for my PTO today.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #2429 on: March 13, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »
I work in financial services.  Pretty much everything we do is tied to that stock market thingy.  All the office kitchens have a TV broadcasting financial news, and no they won't give us the remote so you can watch something else.  You'd be surprised how often that comes up, but I digress.

I was setting up for a meeting, and had just walked through the kitchen to grab some supplies, when I saw the ticker at the bottom of the screen that the DJIA had just dipped into correction territory.  When I walked into the conference room, I announced to the people in the room, also prepping for the meeting, that it's official, the Dow was in correction territory.  One person asked, what does that mean?  And everyone else stopped to listen.  By the time I was done, I had explained WHAT the Dow was, and that the S&P hadn't slipped into correction territory just yet, but it was likely inevitable at that point.  I was shocked at how little everyone knew, when it's kinda of our business to know!

Earlier this week, an e-mail went out.  HR is changing our time card system, and at the same time, they'll be shifting us over, in August, from a 24 pay period cycle to a 26 pay period cycle.  We'll also be paid 2 weeks in arrears, whereas now, our payday actually includes the day we haven't worked yet (get paid on the 15th AM, for the pay period ending the 15th).  So, our paychecks will be smaller, and we'll probably have to go a long period without a check.  Stay tuned for mass pandemonium and confusion!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2430 on: March 13, 2020, 03:33:23 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the fascinating classified discussion but I finally have something to contribute to the thread.
 Yesterday our CEO and VP sent out mass emails about our company’s stance on handling the corona virus. They played it off as no big deal, not as bad as the flu, everyone wash your hands and wipe down surfaces regularly and if we just heed our parents advice of being sensible and staying clean then we will all be fine. Oh, and go get a flu shot if you haven’t already because that will help tremendously! Then they ended the emails with quotes from Fox News.

I work in a hotel with a bar and restaurant that caters to wealthy retirees of a certain age. I think I might put in for my PTO today.

Jaw dropping

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2431 on: March 13, 2020, 06:16:04 PM »

Wow. Even the guy who keeps posting "its a hoax" memes on FB (love the one that rearranges the dates for previous pandemics, don't you?) cancelled a meeting when push came to shove.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2432 on: March 13, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »
I work in financial services.  Pretty much everything we do is tied to that stock market thingy.  All the office kitchens have a TV broadcasting financial news, and no they won't give us the remote so you can watch something else.  You'd be surprised how often that comes up, but I digress.

I was setting up for a meeting, and had just walked through the kitchen to grab some supplies, when I saw the ticker at the bottom of the screen that the DJIA had just dipped into correction territory.  When I walked into the conference room, I announced to the people in the room, also prepping for the meeting, that it's official, the Dow was in correction territory.  One person asked, what does that mean?  And everyone else stopped to listen.  By the time I was done, I had explained WHAT the Dow was, and that the S&P hadn't slipped into correction territory just yet, but it was likely inevitable at that point.  I was shocked at how little everyone knew, when it's kinda of our business to know!

Earlier this week, an e-mail went out.  HR is changing our time card system, and at the same time, they'll be shifting us over, in August, from a 24 pay period cycle to a 26 pay period cycle.  We'll also be paid 2 weeks in arrears, whereas now, our payday actually includes the day we haven't worked yet (get paid on the 15th AM, for the pay period ending the 15th).  So, our paychecks will be smaller, and we'll probably have to go a long period without a check.  Stay tuned for mass pandemonium and confusion!

The transition from 24 pay periods to 26 can go pretty smoothly if done right.  For example, time it to start the smaller 2-week paycheck (instead of half-month) during a month with three paychecks.  But it's strange that your current pay period ends on day of payment and they'll be moving you to two weeks in arrears.  We were one week in arrears at 24/year, and stayed at one week when we went to 26/year.  No major complaints, just kind annoying that it messes up my monthly income graph.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2433 on: March 13, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »

The transition from 24 pay periods to 26 can go pretty smoothly if done right.  For example, time it to start the smaller 2-week paycheck (instead of half-month) during a month with three paychecks.  But it's strange that your current pay period ends on day of payment and they'll be moving you to two weeks in arrears.  We were one week in arrears at 24/year, and stayed at one week when we went to 26/year.  No major complaints, just kind annoying that it messes up my monthly income graph.

No biggie.  Just change your spreadsheet to accrual accounting.  Your liabilities probably already are if you pull your credit Card balances Into mint/etc

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2434 on: March 14, 2020, 04:14:26 AM »

Quotes? They didn't even have the brain to reformulate it?
Wait, if they had a working brain they would not watch Fox News.

So everyone is shutting down half of public life, but this risk-group company will be totally okay with a bit more hand washing?
I wonder if after employees are sick and a retiree dies, the company will be sued? Manslaughter by negligence, something on that line.
Maybe time to not only get paid leave, but a new job too?

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #2435 on: March 14, 2020, 04:47:24 AM »
Re. the discussions of security clearances.
When I was in, we were told not to discuss what clearance we had so as to not make ourselves a juicy target. So people writing about what level they or their relatives had or have is raising some hairs. Is it really okay now to publish that info on a public forum?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2436 on: March 14, 2020, 06:00:31 AM »
When I was in, we were told not to discuss what clearance we had so as to not make ourselves a juicy target. So people writing about what level they or their relatives had or have is raising some hairs. Is it really okay now to publish that info on a public forum?

Since all I ever had was a 0, I think I would be exempt from that "rule".
Depending on the subject, a few years time could make the classified knowledge irrelevant , but still not revealable.  Some jobs have well known clearance level, so hiding it isn't that useful.

That being said, I remember that people were told to BIP (Badge In Pocket) in public. This could be difficult for those at the most secure facility, as they had extra, bulky and distinctive radiation detectors.

At least one personnel database at the Pentagon has been breached, as DW and I were told our info was at risk.  We were part of a relative's background check.

The clearence level per se is probably less important than subject matter. - no reference available, just opinion.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2437 on: March 14, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »
A couple of funny security related stories.

We got a contract to install video conferencing systems at Redstone.  The systems were not secure but the transmission lines and some of the facilities were.

1) The most secure building I set up a system in required me to get cleared in through a locked entryway where the armed guards very carefully checked my ID to ensure I was pre-authorized to enter.  Since I did not have a security clearance there were red lights flashing inside the building to alert everyone inside that I was in the facility and all classified documents must be locked up.  I had a mandatory escort watching me at all times.  Seemed pretty tight security to me.  Then I asked where the equipment was that I needed to install. "Oh, it is out back on the loading dock."  I was led to the back door, which was propped open with a rock!  The smokers would duck out back when they wanted a drag and needed to be able to get back in easily........  Nobody seemed to care about the dichotomy between front and back door security.

2) Another system was installed in a secure conference room used by the top brass.  Very secure, again with the armed guards watching us install the equipment.  The entire room was a Faraday cage, no EMF allowed.  In the middle of the install, my cell phone rang!........  This caused much hubbub and consternation.  Several senior officers started asking pointed questions of me, the guards, and most pointedly the facility management staff.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2438 on: March 14, 2020, 06:23:32 PM »

2) Another system was installed in a secure conference room used by the top brass.  Very secure, again with the armed guards watching us install the equipment.  The entire room was a Faraday cage, no EMF allowed.  In the middle of the install, my cell phone rang!........  This caused much hubbub and consternation.  Several senior officers started asking pointed questions of me, the guards, and most pointedly the facility management staff.

We just installed cell phone scanners in our building. They're so sensitive that sometimes they pick up blue tooth devices from the floor beneath us.  That area isn't supposed to be secure and isn't a threat, but it's annoying when the device is announcing to nobody "Blue Tooth Detected!" It's hilarious when it happens and a random person is walking past it at the same moment though. We all know it gives false-positives so we give that poor guy a hard time.

I've mentioned my clearance level and vague reference to the city where I live/work, but you don't know my full name or what it is I actually do.  If I gave you anything else that could tie me by name to a specific program that would be stupid on my part.  I've been to parts of the world on official travel where I was instructed to not wear a uniform or anything else that might easily identify me as American or US military (MMA shirts and camouflage backpacks being a favorite of this generation).  I suppose I could pass for Russian or German until I open my mouth, but I get the sentiment.  I attended a conference in Europe where we were supposed to maintain a low profile and when we got off the plane a taxi driver was standing there with a placard that said "Lieutenant Smith, Special Operations Command Europe."  I never found the little twerp responsible for that, but I hope he and his boss has a little chat later.

Since all I ever had was a 0, I think I would be exempt from that "rule".
Depending on the subject, a few years time could make the classified knowledge irrelevant , but still not revealable.  Some jobs have well known clearance level, so hiding it isn't that useful.

That being said, I remember that people were told to BIP (Badge In Pocket) in public. This could be difficult for those at the most secure facility, as they had extra, bulky and distinctive radiation detectors.

At least one personnel database at the Pentagon has been breached, as DW and I were told our info was at risk.  We were part of a relative's background check.

The clearence level per se is probably less important than subject matter. - no reference available, just opinion.

I put my badge away as soon as I leave the building.  I had to pull aside a soldier who wore her uniform to the mall, security badge still hanging around her neck.

My credit report and my SF 86 have been the property of hackers for over a decade thanks to OPM and the VA.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2439 on: March 15, 2020, 05:32:40 AM »

1) The most secure building I set up a system in required me to get cleared in through a locked entryway where the armed guards very carefully checked my ID to ensure I was pre-authorized to enter.  Since I did not have a security clearance there were red lights flashing inside the building to alert everyone inside that I was in the facility and all classified documents must be locked up.  I had a mandatory escort watching me at all times.  Seemed pretty tight security to me.  Then I asked where the equipment was that I needed to install. "Oh, it is out back on the loading dock."  I was led to the back door, which was propped open with a rock!  The smokers would duck out back when they wanted a drag and needed to be able to get back in easily........  Nobody seemed to care about the dichotomy between front and back door security.

In this case I actually care less about the open door. I mean you must be fairly good friends to the grim reaper to run into a building with multiple armed guards everywhere.

But having sensible IT parked in the open where everyone could get malware on it that goes undetected for years?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2440 on: March 15, 2020, 12:57:48 PM »
Co-Worker: (circa end-of-February) "I am out of the market, sold everything today, market it about to go to shit"

Me: (circa March 12th) "how does it feel to have call the top?"

Co-Worker: "Pretty good, I am lucky I got out when I did"

Me: "Are you buying back in soon? You know the old saying about having to time it right twice."

Co-Worker: "Don't need to, I spent most of it already. I probably wont invest again, just for the 401k match"

.... Think your doing it wrong !!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2441 on: March 15, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »

In this case I actually care less about the open door. I mean you must be fairly good friends to the grim reaper to run into a building with multiple armed guards everywhere.

But having sensible IT parked in the open where everyone could get malware on it that goes undetected for years?

I moved the equipment inside and installed it in the appropriate location.  Re: the guards, I was there to do a job.  Why should trained people carrying guns bother me?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2442 on: March 15, 2020, 02:28:48 PM »
Co-Worker: (circa end-of-February) "I am out of the market, sold everything today, market it about to go to shit"

Me: "Are you buying back in soon? You know the old saying about having to time it right twice."

Co-Worker: "Don't need to, I spent most of it already. I probably wont invest again, just for the 401k match"

They timed their spending wrong.  As the economy ranks there will be deals to be had on all kinds of consumer goods.  At least in 2008 there was

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2443 on: March 15, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »

They timed their spending wrong.  As the economy ranks there will be deals to be had on all kinds of consumer goods.  At least in 2008 there was

I had a similar conversation:

Co-Worker: Got out of the market a month ago.  I feel like a bit of a genius that I timed it right.

Me: The genius part will be when you decide to go back in.

Co-worker: I'm going to wait until it returns to the same value before putting it in again.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2444 on: March 24, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »
The guys are watching Extreme Cheapskates.  I have to keep my mouth shut because *some* of the things that they are talking about actually make sense to me (cutting open a toothpaste tube to get the last bit not taking leftovers from other people's table at a restaurant).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2445 on: March 24, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
The guys are watching Extreme Cheapskates.  I have to keep my mouth shut because *some* of the things that they are talking about actually make sense to me (cutting open a toothpaste tube to get the last bit not taking leftovers from other people's table at a restaurant).

I’m not convinced.  Somebody run the cost benefit analysis on the lost scissor longevity from cutting foil laminate

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2446 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »

I’m not convinced.  Somebody run the cost benefit analysis on the lost scissor longevity from cutting foil laminate

Obviously, you would use a tin snips for this, not your mom's best sewing scissors.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2447 on: March 24, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »

Obviously, you would use a tin snips for this, not your mom's best sewing scissors.

Probably best to use your toothpaste snips no?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2448 on: March 24, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »

Only after a thorough cleaning, right?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2449 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:41 PM »
Just finished a Town Hall on base and the question was raised "We have X housing units, and X assigned parking spaces. What do we do if we have two cars?"  The garrison commander responded (in the most polite tone possible) "We don't have a parking problem, we have a walking problem." He then listed off over 100 additional parking spaces within a block of the apartment towers.

From the same commander just an hour ago...

We're tightening movement on the base due to an outbreak this week. He did a video inside the commissary showing that we have plenty of stock inside, then went outside and did a video where he expressed the following:

https://www.facebook.com/usaghumphreys/videos/573728460019089/

"Buy. Don't shop."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!