Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 498110 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2300 on: February 26, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

My co-worker has been complaining about his financial state lately.  I told him he spends too much on his car.  He said he spends $800 a month to keep this fancy Civic on the road.  I think he pays a similar amount in rent.

I drive the shittiest car out of everybody so people can see where my savings come from.  There are several people who earn a lot less than me that drive fancier cars so I hope they aren't too surprised if they feel more broke than me.

OMG thank you SOOOO much for changing the subject!

You're well within your rights to change the subject back to Overheard at Work anti-mustachianism, but can we do it without insults? Thanks.

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2301 on: February 26, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

My co-worker has been complaining about his financial state lately.  I told him he spends too much on his car.  He said he spends $800 a month to keep this fancy Civic on the road.  I think he pays a similar amount in rent.

I drive the shittiest car out of everybody so people can see where my savings come from.  There are several people who earn a lot less than me that drive fancier cars so I hope they aren't too surprised if they feel more broke than me.

You're well within your rights to change the subject back to Overheard at Work anti-mustachianism, but can we do it without insults? Thanks.

You're right, I apologize--men can have uteruses too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PPIndKentucky/status/969384341636861952

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2302 on: February 26, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

I really hope that post wasn’t sarcasm. But it’s hard to see how it wasn’t.

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2303 on: February 26, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
It was a joke, people.  I like lady parts.

Another coworker of mine just paid off his car.  I was trying to suggest he should invest his cash flow now.  I think it sunk in but he's eager to spend a bit.  He has a house so I can't blame him for wanting to renovate.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2304 on: February 26, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »

Another coworker of mine just paid off his car.  I was trying to suggest he should invest his cash flow now.  I think it sunk in but he's eager to spend a bit.  He has a house so I can't blame him for wanting to renovate.

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2305 on: February 26, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

What exactly is the outrage here?  I don't understand.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2306 on: February 26, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

I think I will let a bunch of the other women comment, as well as me.

But in the meantime, please contemplate that it’s possible you don’t recognize that what you said is objectively gross, even if you don’t see it quite yet.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2307 on: February 26, 2020, 06:38:58 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

But in the meantime, please contemplate that it’s possible you don’t recognize that what you said is objectively gross, even if you don’t see it quite yet.

Do we know Wrenchturner's gender?  A lot of people on the forums thought I was a man, for quite a long time.
And at least the men on here are sparing us from their prostate problems.  I guess because those don't get major until after the normal age of retirement?  Seriously, in New Zealand I am seeing so many ads re prostate problems, it is getting tiresome.

Sorry, no work stories here, the joys of retirement and all that.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2308 on: February 26, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Do we know Wrenchturner's gender?  A lot of people on the forums thought I was a man, for quite a long time.
And at least the men on here are sparing us from their prostate problems.  I guess because those don't get major until after the normal age of retirement?  Seriously, in New Zealand I am seeing so many ads re prostate problems, it is getting tiresome.

Sorry, no work stories here, the joys of retirement and all that.

Yeah.

The idea that one gender or the other would need to not comment on their issues because it would offend the delicate sensibilities of the other gender...

Just seems a bit gross.

And sorry, but “I like lady bits” ... ?

Like, sexualizing “bits” somehow negates the BS?

Just... ugh. Women were talking about a work issue. That is within the subject of this thread.

Maybe when we are talking about legitimate issues involving women, the only two reactions do not have to be “gross” and “I like lady bits”?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2309 on: February 26, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

I'm not offended by the use of the term lady parts. In fact, I find it quite inoffensive. Much better than vajayjay

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2310 on: February 26, 2020, 07:35:05 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

I'm not offended by the use of the term lady parts. In fact, I find it quite inoffensive. Much better than vajayjay

Awesome.

So, do you think there is something wrong with talking about periods as they pertain to work?

And doing it in a way that does not depend on whether men like lady parts?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:37:23 PM by Kris »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2311 on: February 26, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

So, do you think there is something wrong with talking about periods as they pertain to work?

Have I missed something here? I've read the thread. I'm not offended by lady parts, by talking about lady parts, or by any function of said lady parts. I'm not offended by men parts either.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2312 on: February 26, 2020, 07:42:07 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Have I missed something here? I've read the thread. I'm not offended by lady parts, by talking about lady parts, or by any function of said lady parts. I'm not offended by men parts either.

Okay.

And I am a woman who is irritated as hell by having men say that talking about periods in this thread is icky and that we need to change the subject. And that “liking lady parts” somehow matters. So we are 1 to 1.

Let’s see how this shakes out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:44:01 PM by Kris »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2313 on: February 26, 2020, 07:47:17 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

And I am a woman who is irritated as hell by having men say that talking about periods in this thread is icky and that we need to change the subject. So we are 1 to 1.

I read the lady parts comment as a light hearted silly way of diving into another subject. The subject change doesn't bother me at all since it was actually going back to the original intention of the thread..... I don't think it was intended as genuine disgust or a subject change for any reason other than that.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2314 on: February 26, 2020, 07:48:12 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

And I am a woman who is irritated as hell by having men say that talking about periods in this thread is icky and that we need to change the subject. So we are 1 to 1.

I read the lady parts comment as a light hearted silly way of diving into another subject. The subject change doesn't bother me at all since it was actually going back to the original intention of the thread..... I don't think it was intended as genuine disgust or a subject change for any reason other than that.

well, at least one other person didn’t enjoy it.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-2/msg2568934/#msg2568934

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2315 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-2/msg2568934/#msg2568934

Yeah ok. They're not sacrosanct, you know. If someone said 'ew lady feet, gross', would you be offended? I dunno about yours, but my lady parts aren't gold plated. And I don't give a crap whether someone else is or isn't offended by what I have in my knickers, frankly.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2316 on: February 26, 2020, 07:56:07 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

Yeah ok. They're not sacrosanct, you know. If someone said 'ew lady feet, gross', would you be offended? I dunno about yours, but my lady parts aren't gold plated. And I don't give a crap whether someone else is or isn't offended by what I have in my knickers, frankly.

Cool. You and I differ.

I think periods are an issue for working women. And as such, I think talking about it here is fine.

Even if men are squicked out by it.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2317 on: February 26, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

Cool. You and I differ.

I think periods are an issue for working women. And as such, I think talking about it here is fine.

Even if men are squicked out by it.

We're not so different. I think it's an issue for working women also, and I also don't give a crap if men find that uncomfortable. Not sure that one did, though.....

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2318 on: February 26, 2020, 08:38:51 PM »
I read the lady parts comment as a light hearted silly way of diving into another subject.
This was pretty much my intention.  I just thought it was weird to come into this thread and see a conversation about hysterectomies and cauterized vas deferenses. 

Sorry if I offended anyone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2319 on: February 26, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
It’s clearly an attempt at juvenile humor. If I said “ew kissing gross” I don’t think you nasty kissers would complain that much.  Seriously people keep those lips to yourselves

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2320 on: February 26, 2020, 11:29:00 PM »
It’s clearly an attempt at juvenile humor. If I said “ew kissing gross” I don’t think you nasty kissers would complain that much.  Seriously people keep those lips to yourselves

Ew you said lips!

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2321 on: February 27, 2020, 04:38:51 AM »

Ew you said lips!

I am surprised nobody posted a dick pic so far (and no, that was no invitation).

I had a wonderful laugh at work hearing from someone from another working place. It's quite deep into programming, which I spare you, just saying the main topic was that making something digital instead of paper is often a lot more work than laypeople think. Especially when the people that have to use the program are still thinking in paper. 

And there was one report spicing that up even more: A helpdesk call: My program is broken. It does not work.
Reason? They moved an icon 2cm to the right!
But even after showing that the person still said it was broken.

What should you do with those types of people? Just switch their computer off? sigh

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2322 on: February 27, 2020, 05:57:03 AM »

Given that women have only recently been able to discuss menstruation openly in public, and that we are still often chastised for doing so... not so obviously a joke.

So there ya go.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2323 on: February 27, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Some people go through life looking to be offended.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2324 on: February 27, 2020, 06:49:42 AM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Some people go through life looking to be offended.

Hey, DadJokes. Fancy seeing you here.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #2325 on: February 27, 2020, 07:02:07 AM »
Another coworker of mine just paid off his car.  I was trying to suggest he should invest his cash flow now.  I think it sunk in but he's eager to spend a bit.

After reading this thread this week, "cash flow" has a whole new meaning to me now.

joleran

• Stubble
« Reply #2326 on: February 27, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
After reading this thread this week, "cash flow" has a whole new meaning to me now.

People buy used underwear and feet pictures, so it's possible...

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2327 on: February 27, 2020, 08:55:42 AM »
Hey - I like lady fingers...

And how does a person spend $800 a month of a Civic?

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2328 on: February 27, 2020, 09:04:34 AM »

mmm, lady fingers

But I think that the $800 a month Civic nearly got lost as the most important question around here.

I mean, even when I had less savings, my definition of when to get a new car is when the mechanic starts getting more a month than the bank would with a loan.

Dogastrophe

• Stubble
« Reply #2329 on: February 27, 2020, 09:27:10 AM »

Civic Type R starts at $42K in Canada - can easily turn this into a $60K car by adding the floor mats and a few other accessories + sales tax.

Way back in this thread (or maybe was in the original pt 1 thread) I mentioned a former coworker who traded a 2 years old Jeep in for a Charger.  Then a year or two later traded in for a Civic Type R.  All financed - underwater on each loan when he traded.  I suspect his Type R was costing him well over $1000 (CDN) per month.  He would also regularly complain about his finances and that he might need a second job because he wasn't earning enough money.

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2330 on: February 27, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »

Civic Type R starts at $42K in Canada - can easily turn this into a $60K car by adding the floor mats and a few other accessories + sales tax.

Way back in this thread (or maybe was in the original pt 1 thread) I mentioned a former coworker who traded a 2 years old Jeep in for a Charger.  Then a year or two later traded in for a Civic Type R.  All financed - underwater on each loan when he traded.  I suspect his Type R was costing him well over $1000 (CDN) per month.  He would also regularly complain about his finances and that he might need a second job because he wasn't earning enough money.

It's a turbo civic.  $600 for the car, $200 for insurance.

I think he spends at least $200 a month on cannabis too.

OliveFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2331 on: February 27, 2020, 12:05:17 PM »

I loved my basic civic (2010) - but like if you are willing to spend $800 on a car, why not get a better car? IDK this seems crazy.

Meanwhile, my coworker wants to get a car in NYC. The parking is $500 a month. So add the car, gas, and insurance. I'm not even saving that much money with my menstrual cup over 10 years ;)

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2332 on: February 27, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »

I loved my basic civic (2010) - but like if you are willing to spend $800 on a car, why not get a better car? IDK this seems crazy.

Meanwhile, my coworker wants to get a car in NYC. The parking is $500 a month. So add the car, gas, and insurance. I'm not even saving that much money with my menstrual cup over 10 years ;)

No idea why he bought a fancy Civic.  I don't think there's a lot of thought going into this decision.

Owning a car in NYC seems crazy too.  But living in NYC would be very expensive regardless I'm sure.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2333 on: February 27, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
Last civic I bought cost six weeks of his payments ($1200 for the thing). A week later, Katrina hit and the seller called asking if I'd sell it back for twice that, but I drove it another 200k miles instead.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #2334 on: February 27, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

No idea why he bought a fancy Civic.  I don't think there's a lot of thought going into this decision.

Owning a car in NYC seems crazy too.  But living in NYC would be very expensive regardless I'm sure.

Was at the local Honda dealership on Monday getting 1st 6 month service on wife's Honda Insight (we buy new Honda/Toyota and drive till they die, her 2006 Civic's engine block cracked in mid 2019).

Asked the sales guys where's the Type R... response was "bought by rich daddies for their kids". I thought it was a joke. A little later, I asked another sales rep, he said that every single Type R they've sold has been bought by Bank of Mum/Dad for Prince/Princess. I asked how many had been leased to working Joes, he said none. Their $5000 markup does not deter the sales, but turns away the potential lessors.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2335 on: February 27, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »

Given that women have only recently been able to discuss menstruation openly in public, and that we are still often chastised for doing so... not so obviously a joke.

So there ya go.

Waiiit.  You thought it wasn’t a joke and that wrenchturner is legitimately grossed out by women’s anatomy? 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2336 on: February 27, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »

So there ya go.

Waiiit.  You thought it wasn’t a joke and that wrenchturner is legitimately grossed out by women’s anatomy?

Let's not rehash this. People can disagree. Kris was offended, Wrenchturner apologised, that's all we need to know.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2337 on: February 27, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »

So there ya go.

Let's not rehash this. People can disagree. Kris was offended, Wrenchturner apologised, that's all we need to know.

I thought kris was offended by a poor joke, not by a supposedly earnest disapproval of “lady parts”

We don’t strictly “need to know” any of this.  I want to know more.  I am offended by your cold dismissal of my curiosity
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:46:52 PM by dragoncar »

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2338 on: February 27, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »

So there ya go.

I thought kris was offended by a poor joke, not by a supposedly earnest disapproval of “lady parts”

We don’t strictly “need to know” any of this.  I want to know more.  I am offended by your cold dismissal of my curiosity

I just want to point out that it wasn’t just wrenchturner’s remark, but more specifically, solon’s fairly earnest thanking him for changing the subject from periods.

And also, that merula was also bothered by this. Not just me.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2339 on: February 27, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »

So there ya go.

I just want to point out that it wasn’t just wrenchturner’s remark, but more specifically, solon’s fairly earnest thanking him for changing the subject from periods.

You're allowed to be offended. You don't have to explain yourself. We all have different perspectives, and yours is as valid as mine. But I think Dragoncar is now kind of pointlessly stirring things. I understand your perspective. I hope you understand mine. Wrenchturner understands he unwittingly offended someone. Kind of end of conversation?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2340 on: February 28, 2020, 04:27:59 AM »

So there ya go.

You're allowed to be offended. You don't have to explain yourself. We all have different perspectives, and yours is as valid as mine. But I think Dragoncar is now kind of pointlessly stirring things. I understand your perspective. I hope you understand mine. Wrenchturner understands he unwittingly offended someone. Kind of end of conversation?

Good talk.  I guess some perspectives are more equal than others.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2341 on: February 28, 2020, 04:35:10 AM »

So there ya go.

Oh, come on. Now we are getting into real stupidity waters here!

Open a new thread "mentrual cups, lady parts and can you like them?" if you wish, but please stop it now.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2342 on: February 28, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »

In my part of the country that's a comfortable house payment.

Wrenchturner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2343 on: February 28, 2020, 08:55:48 AM »

In my part of the country that's a comfortable house payment.
You can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house!

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2344 on: February 28, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »

Including some of the men on this forum.

I don't have many stories from my current job. My coworkers bring their own lunches and snacks to work, and I haven't heard anyone airing their financial dirty laundry. I do have one of the "worst" cars in the parking lot, though. And my coworkers seemed really confused by my asking if the farmers market they were talking about was the cheap kind or the fancy organic kind - but maybe cheap farmer's markets just don't exist around here.

Neighbors, though - the guy I rented a room from for a few weeks when I first moved here had two nearly identical BMWs in his garage, in addition to the civic that he drove on week days. In my new neighborhood there's a guy with Supreme stickers on his BMW's windshield - I'm not sure how much those cost, but the brand is famous for overpriced branded products.

wellactually

• Stubble
« Reply #2345 on: February 28, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »
Car addiction is insidious.

We (team of three) have an informal meeting to start each week, half social and half sharing what we're working on. We were talking about how great the weather had been last Saturday and I said I had gotten a real treat. After the geese dive-bombed my car while out running errands with DH, we went through an automatic car wash. I said it had been years since I did that and it was so nice.

Co-worker said she goes through the car wash multiple times EACH WEEK. She is absolutely not in a financial position for this based on oodles of other things she's shared.

bluebelle

• Bristles
« Reply #2346 on: February 28, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
[

Neighbors, though - the guy I rented a room from for a few weeks when I first moved here had two nearly identical BMWs in his garage, in addition to the civic that he drove on week days. In my new neighborhood there's a guy with Supreme stickers on his BMW's windshield - I'm not sure how much those cost, but the brand is famous for overpriced branded products.
I had to go google what Supreme stickers would be.....is that the skateboard company that sells expensive clothing?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2347 on: February 28, 2020, 11:41:34 AM »
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however!

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?
I am not sure where the latest research is at, but generally, the older you are, after 35, the less recommended hormonal birth control is.  This is lessened if you don't smoke.   

Looking back, helath and issues dealing with periods perimenopause combined with a high stress job is 80% of the reason that I FIRED.  Truly.  I did not realize it until about a year after FIRE.   If a bit of discussion in random locations helps someone to make more money now to FIRE more easily, I say go for it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:51:30 AM by Goldielocks »

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2348 on: February 28, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
That's the one.

They're a skateboard shop that grew into a big "streetwear" fashion brand, best known for producing expensive and weird "collab" products. Like they'd partner with Willson and make a Supreme volleyball that says Supreme on it and costs $80. I'm pretty sure that's not a real product, but it's the sort of thing they do.
[

I had to go google what Supreme stickers would be.....is that the skateboard company that sells expensive clothing?

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2349 on: February 28, 2020, 12:01:07 PM »
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however!

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?

I know that my doctor offered me an tubal/ablation last time that, in theory, would stop my periods permanently.  I currently respond well to the implant, but if that ever changes I'll consider the surgical option.
Sound fancy-pants.  I had tubal years ago, no ablation, and still have all the periods.
Getting medical stuff permanently addressed can also be a hedge against the temporary treatment no longer being covered by insurance, or being banned in the future.

(Or the peace of mind of knowing it's done with, or for this specific case, never having to deal with IUD replacement again - it's definitely not comfortable and some people have chronic pain in that area.)