Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1113011 times)

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #2250 on: February 24, 2020, 06:28:18 AM »

But I think the problem described is the men who believe that needing menstrual supplies is because of something akin to incontinence, and if we just tried harder we wouldn't need such things. See also, the guy who invented labia glue.
Hmm  This would work for men, too.  (The glue).

Men that lose productivity because they need to take at least 20 minutes a day to use the rest room.   They could glue their anus shut and only "release" every three days, from the comfort of their homes and not while on the clock at work.

Getting paid to poop is the #2 reason I don't quit.  Right after, needing money.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2251 on: February 24, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
See also, the guy who invented labia glue.
I was not sure if I should look that up.
And I think no, I should not have.

It is technically interesting though that this seems to work. There is real craszy stuff modern glue can do and that is Top 2 I think.

Read the snopes article. It doesn't work b/c it is not really a thing yet. Just a patent and an idea. Not even a prototype and it has a male inventor who possibly has some gender issues...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2252 on: February 24, 2020, 10:18:32 AM »

A woman who is on the old-fashioned pill form of birth control (a pill a day keeps the pregnant away) can elect to bust out a new package of pills and continue with the hormone replacement instead of continuing with the usual cycle of placeholder pills.

This isn't what the custodian was referring to.  He specifically said he knows girls can "hold it in" when they feel it "coming on".  Yikes! 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2253 on: February 24, 2020, 10:58:30 AM »

A woman who is on the old-fashioned pill form of birth control (a pill a day keeps the pregnant away) can elect to bust out a new package of pills and continue with the hormone replacement instead of continuing with the usual cycle of placeholder pills.

This isn't what the custodian was referring to.  He specifically said he knows girls can "hold it in" when they feel it "coming on".  Yikes!

God, I wish I could "hold it in" even for a short time. It would make things so much easier, especially when one is stuck somewhere and has the highly unpleasant sense that their current menstrual product may not be up to the task. Alas, that's not how any of this works. Too bad this chump (the menstrual glue guy) doesn't appear willing to understand basic biology.

OliveFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2254 on: February 24, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »
This conversation is great.

Do want to take this moment to remind every menstruating person here ...

menstrual cups are the most frugal, eco-friendly, comfortable, and least distracting form of period product.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2255 on: February 24, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »

But I think the problem described is the men who believe that needing menstrual supplies is because of something akin to incontinence, and if we just tried harder we wouldn't need such things. See also, the guy who invented labia glue.
Hmm  This would work for men, too.  (The glue).

Men that lose productivity because they need to take at least 20 minutes a day to use the rest room.   They could glue their anus shut and only "release" every three days, from the comfort of their homes and not while on the clock at work.

YES! Thank you so much for putting this in terms that men may understand!

Also, re the conversation about whether it's distracting or not, please be aware that every woman is different and their periods are different too.  I was raised to believe that if you don't make a big deal out of it, then it isn't a big deal.  So it never was.  But then I went to college and met other women and some of them were physically ill and vomiting from the pain they had. 

Yeah, if you have a light flow with no cramps, it's super easy to think others are hypochondriacs.  But one time I had cramps and it was super-distracting.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2256 on: February 24, 2020, 11:19:55 AM »

menstrual cups are the most frugal, eco-friendly, comfortable, and least distracting form of period product.

Are we sure about eco friendly? I use soooo much more water with a cup that I am not thoroughly convinced on that front.

OliveFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2257 on: February 24, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
compared to the production and trashing of the disposable products - I still think you come out ahead. I don't use much water with mine though. Quick rinse. Maybe a small wipe out if I'm in a less than ideal bathroom for the cup. I have bought two cups since 2011. The amount of tampons / pads I've avoided using is great!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2258 on: February 24, 2020, 12:08:08 PM »

They're a great idea. Unfortunately my tipped uterus/wonky cervix has caused three different brands of cups of different sizes and materials to fail. I wish I could use them because they'd be a nice complement to washable pads.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2259 on: February 24, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

Except for the accidental blood bath in the public rest room stall.  I found that very distracting.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2260 on: February 24, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »

Except for the accidental blood bath in the public rest room stall.  I found that very distracting.

The actual changing is a lot more distracting, but happens a little less often and I don't have to carry around as much stuff.

I assume you fumbled? I have done that, but luckily not in public.

Some say it is great for camping. I cannot begin to imagine how that works.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2261 on: February 24, 2020, 04:00:58 PM »

The actual changing is a lot more distracting, but happens a little less often and I don't have to carry around as much stuff.

I got a hysterectomy a couple of years before I heard about the menstrual cup. I low key wish I could have tried it (though I would not trade no more periods for anything! Woo hoo!)...

But I will say, the idea of just trusting that cup for the first few times strikes terror into my heart. Talk about distracting!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2262 on: February 24, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
I was able to get one for free (promotion) got supposedly the right size. But it would leak. I don't know what I wasn't doing right, but it was more difficult than I thought. To get it right. Maybe it worked right 70% of the time, but having accidents sucks. Since I had to wear a pad anyways, stopped using it. Since I'm on the pill my periods are relatively minimal at this point.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2263 on: February 25, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »

It's not that bad. I took mine on a two week trip to Tanzania so plunged deep into the camping/poor sanitation/limited water life with it after a few months of use. I took my water bottle into the stall, plus wet paper towels if they were available, or wet wipes if they weren't. Sanitize hands, remove, dump, rinse with water bottle, dry with TP, reinsert, wipe hands with paper towel/wet wipe. I can wear my cup all day except for on the very heaviest day of my cycle versus changing tampons every 4-6 hours, so I think it's worth the minor hassle.

As for water usage making it less sustainable...I guess it depends where you live. Here in the Midwest where composting & recycling sucks and water is abundant, I think it's clearly the better choice. Maybe if there are compostable tampons (I've never researched this) that makes more sense in a water constrained area. But it's definitely the most frugal option, I haven't spend a dime after my $24 purchase a year ago now--would have gone through 3-4 boxes each of tampons & liners by now.

ETA: I guess backpacking would be different but I imagine you'd just dig a hole to empty into. Still seems better than packing out used disposable supplies to me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:19:11 AM by mlipps »

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #2264 on: February 26, 2020, 01:50:10 AM »

'Frugal'... not for me. I've actually done the math (very MMM, right?).
[Number of periods until expected menopause (based on mother's age of menopause)] x [number of tampons at €x + number of pads at €x per period] = €x.
[Number of menstrual cups needed until expected menopause (because they have a 10-year lifespan, apparently)] = €x.
The traditional method of pads and tampons was way more frugal for me.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2265 on: February 26, 2020, 01:55:23 AM »

[Number of periods until expected menopause (based on mother's age of menopause)] x [number of tampons at €x + number of pads at €x per period] = €x.
[Number of menstrual cups needed until expected menopause (because they have a 10-year lifespan, apparently)] = €x.
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however! 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2266 on: February 26, 2020, 07:36:14 AM »

Mine paid for itself in months....I know mine is heavy, but this is mind blowing.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #2267 on: February 26, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
The number of pads and tampons increase dramatically in the last few years, however!

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2268 on: February 26, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »

Out of curiosity, could you potentially do the perma-birth control method there where periods are skipped entirely, or would that cause issues at that point?

I know that my doctor offered me an tubal/ablation last time that, in theory, would stop my periods permanently.  I currently respond well to the implant, but if that ever changes I'll consider the surgical option.

wellactually

• Stubble
« Reply #2269 on: February 26, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
Tubal ligation won't stop you from getting a period, it would just stop eggs from getting through your tubes to your uterus. You'd need to remove either the ovaries and/or the uterus to permanently end periods prior to menopause.

Many people see periods disappear with IUD and other long term birth control methods, but the effect varies wildly and is unpredictable.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2270 on: February 26, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
Tubal ligation won't stop you from getting a period, it would just stop eggs from getting through your tubes to your uterus. You'd need to remove either the ovaries and/or the uterus to permanently end periods prior to menopause.

Many people see periods disappear with IUD and other long term birth control methods, but the effect varies wildly and is unpredictable.

Ablation does stop menstruation in most. It is paired with tubal ligation in order to prevent a dangerous pregnancy.

wellactually

• Stubble
« Reply #2271 on: February 26, 2020, 01:27:41 PM »
Gotcha. I read that as either a tubal ligation OR an ablation.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2272 on: February 26, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

My co-worker has been complaining about his financial state lately.  I told him he spends too much on his car.  He said he spends $800 a month to keep this fancy Civic on the road.  I think he pays a similar amount in rent.

I drive the shittiest car out of everybody so people can see where my savings come from.  There are several people who earn a lot less than me that drive fancier cars so I hope they aren't too surprised if they feel more broke than me.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2273 on: February 26, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

My co-worker has been complaining about his financial state lately.  I told him he spends too much on his car.  He said he spends $800 a month to keep this fancy Civic on the road.  I think he pays a similar amount in rent.

I drive the shittiest car out of everybody so people can see where my savings come from.  There are several people who earn a lot less than me that drive fancier cars so I hope they aren't too surprised if they feel more broke than me.

OMG thank you SOOOO much for changing the subject!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2274 on: February 26, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

You're well within your rights to change the subject back to Overheard at Work anti-mustachianism, but can we do it without insults? Thanks.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2275 on: February 26, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

You're well within your rights to change the subject back to Overheard at Work anti-mustachianism, but can we do it without insults? Thanks.

You're right, I apologize--men can have uteruses too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PPIndKentucky/status/969384341636861952

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2276 on: February 26, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
Lady parts... gross.

You're right, I apologize--men can have uteruses too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PPIndKentucky/status/969384341636861952

I really hope that post wasn’t sarcasm. But it’s hard to see how it wasn’t.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2277 on: February 26, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
It was a joke, people.  I like lady parts.

Another coworker of mine just paid off his car.  I was trying to suggest he should invest his cash flow now.  I think it sunk in but he's eager to spend a bit.  He has a house so I can't blame him for wanting to renovate.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2278 on: February 26, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »

Another coworker of mine just paid off his car.  I was trying to suggest he should invest his cash flow now.  I think it sunk in but he's eager to spend a bit.  He has a house so I can't blame him for wanting to renovate.

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2279 on: February 26, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

What exactly is the outrage here?  I don't understand.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2280 on: February 26, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

I think I will let a bunch of the other women comment, as well as me.

But in the meantime, please contemplate that it’s possible you don’t recognize that what you said is objectively gross, even if you don’t see it quite yet.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2281 on: February 26, 2020, 06:38:58 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

But in the meantime, please contemplate that it’s possible you don’t recognize that what you said is objectively gross, even if you don’t see it quite yet.

Do we know Wrenchturner's gender?  A lot of people on the forums thought I was a man, for quite a long time.
And at least the men on here are sparing us from their prostate problems.  I guess because those don't get major until after the normal age of retirement?  Seriously, in New Zealand I am seeing so many ads re prostate problems, it is getting tiresome.

Sorry, no work stories here, the joys of retirement and all that.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2282 on: February 26, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Do we know Wrenchturner's gender?  A lot of people on the forums thought I was a man, for quite a long time.
And at least the men on here are sparing us from their prostate problems.  I guess because those don't get major until after the normal age of retirement?  Seriously, in New Zealand I am seeing so many ads re prostate problems, it is getting tiresome.

Sorry, no work stories here, the joys of retirement and all that.

Yeah.

The idea that one gender or the other would need to not comment on their issues because it would offend the delicate sensibilities of the other gender...

Just seems a bit gross.

And sorry, but “I like lady bits” ... ?

Like, sexualizing “bits” somehow negates the BS?

Just... ugh. Women were talking about a work issue. That is within the subject of this thread.

Maybe when we are talking about legitimate issues involving women, the only two reactions do not have to be “gross” and “I like lady bits”?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2283 on: February 26, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

I'm not offended by the use of the term lady parts. In fact, I find it quite inoffensive. Much better than vajayjay

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2284 on: February 26, 2020, 07:35:05 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

I'm not offended by the use of the term lady parts. In fact, I find it quite inoffensive. Much better than vajayjay

Awesome.

So, do you think there is something wrong with talking about periods as they pertain to work?

And doing it in a way that does not depend on whether men like lady parts?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:37:23 PM by Kris »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2285 on: February 26, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

So, do you think there is something wrong with talking about periods as they pertain to work?

Have I missed something here? I've read the thread. I'm not offended by lady parts, by talking about lady parts, or by any function of said lady parts. I'm not offended by men parts either.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2286 on: February 26, 2020, 07:42:07 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Have I missed something here? I've read the thread. I'm not offended by lady parts, by talking about lady parts, or by any function of said lady parts. I'm not offended by men parts either.

Okay.

And I am a woman who is irritated as hell by having men say that talking about periods in this thread is icky and that we need to change the subject. And that “liking lady parts” somehow matters. So we are 1 to 1.

Let’s see how this shakes out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:44:01 PM by Kris »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2287 on: February 26, 2020, 07:47:17 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

And I am a woman who is irritated as hell by having men say that talking about periods in this thread is icky and that we need to change the subject. So we are 1 to 1.

I read the lady parts comment as a light hearted silly way of diving into another subject. The subject change doesn't bother me at all since it was actually going back to the original intention of the thread..... I don't think it was intended as genuine disgust or a subject change for any reason other than that.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2288 on: February 26, 2020, 07:48:12 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

And I am a woman who is irritated as hell by having men say that talking about periods in this thread is icky and that we need to change the subject. So we are 1 to 1.

I read the lady parts comment as a light hearted silly way of diving into another subject. The subject change doesn't bother me at all since it was actually going back to the original intention of the thread..... I don't think it was intended as genuine disgust or a subject change for any reason other than that.

well, at least one other person didn’t enjoy it.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-2/msg2568934/#msg2568934

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2289 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-2/msg2568934/#msg2568934

Yeah ok. They're not sacrosanct, you know. If someone said 'ew lady feet, gross', would you be offended? I dunno about yours, but my lady parts aren't gold plated. And I don't give a crap whether someone else is or isn't offended by what I have in my knickers, frankly.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2290 on: February 26, 2020, 07:56:07 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

Yeah ok. They're not sacrosanct, you know. If someone said 'ew lady feet, gross', would you be offended? I dunno about yours, but my lady parts aren't gold plated. And I don't give a crap whether someone else is or isn't offended by what I have in my knickers, frankly.

Cool. You and I differ.

I think periods are an issue for working women. And as such, I think talking about it here is fine.

Even if men are squicked out by it.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2291 on: February 26, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Well.

Awesome.

Okay.

Cool. You and I differ.

I think periods are an issue for working women. And as such, I think talking about it here is fine.

Even if men are squicked out by it.

We're not so different. I think it's an issue for working women also, and I also don't give a crap if men find that uncomfortable. Not sure that one did, though.....

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2292 on: February 26, 2020, 08:38:51 PM »
I read the lady parts comment as a light hearted silly way of diving into another subject.
This was pretty much my intention.  I just thought it was weird to come into this thread and see a conversation about hysterectomies and cauterized vas deferenses. 

Sorry if I offended anyone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2293 on: February 26, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
It’s clearly an attempt at juvenile humor. If I said “ew kissing gross” I don’t think you nasty kissers would complain that much.  Seriously people keep those lips to yourselves

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2294 on: February 26, 2020, 11:29:00 PM »
It’s clearly an attempt at juvenile humor. If I said “ew kissing gross” I don’t think you nasty kissers would complain that much.  Seriously people keep those lips to yourselves

Ew you said lips!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2295 on: February 27, 2020, 04:38:51 AM »

Ew you said lips!

I am surprised nobody posted a dick pic so far (and no, that was no invitation).

I had a wonderful laugh at work hearing from someone from another working place. It's quite deep into programming, which I spare you, just saying the main topic was that making something digital instead of paper is often a lot more work than laypeople think. Especially when the people that have to use the program are still thinking in paper. 

And there was one report spicing that up even more: A helpdesk call: My program is broken. It does not work.
Reason? They moved an icon 2cm to the right!
But even after showing that the person still said it was broken.

What should you do with those types of people? Just switch their computer off? sigh

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2296 on: February 27, 2020, 05:57:03 AM »

Given that women have only recently been able to discuss menstruation openly in public, and that we are still often chastised for doing so... not so obviously a joke.

So there ya go.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2297 on: February 27, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Some people go through life looking to be offended.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2298 on: February 27, 2020, 06:49:42 AM »

Dude.

Can you... just not?

Some people go through life looking to be offended.

Hey, DadJokes. Fancy seeing you here.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #2299 on: February 27, 2020, 07:02:07 AM »
Another coworker of mine just paid off his car.  I was trying to suggest he should invest his cash flow now.  I think it sunk in but he's eager to spend a bit.

After reading this thread this week, "cash flow" has a whole new meaning to me now.