Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112817 times)

Comar

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2019, 04:20:40 AM »
A story from my wife. Her coworker is planning to get married... ON A GLACIER. We have some of those in Iceland you see, so she doesn't have to pay for the flight over. BUT she is living in her dad's garage with her 1 year old son and dreams of buying an apartment with her soon to be husband. But first GLACIER WEDDING yoloooo

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2019, 04:41:47 AM »
I was reminded today of a colleague I worked with about 10 years ago.

He was in his 60s, obese with severe health complications, and was woefully under-qualified for his job.

He ended up needing surgery as a result of complications of his weight, and was off for months on paid sick leave.

After about a month, he contacted his manager and offered to do some work from home.

The manager was mildly interested, until the guy made it clear that he expected to be paid. In addition to being on sick leave at full salary.

Swing and a miss.

The sense of entitlement is strong in this one....

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
A story from my wife. Her coworker is planning to get married... ON A GLACIER. We have some of those in Iceland you see, so she doesn't have to pay for the flight over. BUT she is living in her dad's garage with her 1 year old son and dreams of buying an apartment with her soon to be husband. But first GLACIER WEDDING yoloooo

I'd kick in on a bag of ice from a nearby grocery store... ;)

Sounds like her weekly budget needs all the extra cash it can spare. Let 'em vacation to a glacier later and repeat their vows. 

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
I've overheard some discussions in the past between coworkers about those Funko Pop figurines, they always seemed dumb to me and I never understood the point (they just sit on a shelf!), but whatever. Live and let live.

Until yesterday. A coworker mentioned that a friend of his was looking to sell their Funko Pop collection and he shared a spreadsheet of everything that was for sale. The total listed for the entire collection was $1,700 dollars.

Some selected quotes from the Slack conversation:

OP: "the prices are extremely reasonable"
CW1: "I think prices are extremely reasonable isn't a thing that matters to this group"

CW1: "thanks to you, im going to be broke now"
CW2: "Do you need my bank account? How much for all of it?"
CW1: "I think between [CW2] and I, he's going to end up buying a new car at this rate"

CW3: "Between us 3, we should just buy this whole collection and sort out who wants what haha... total ask is $1700, he might take $1500 cash for the whole shebang"

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
I don’t even know what funko pop figurines are. I’m a little reluctant to even google it...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
I had the same kind of gut reaction to something I heard about Bitcoin back in the 2009-2010 timeframe. Turns out I could have gambled and won big on that one had I a crystal ball/gray luck, but my risk tolerance just doesn’t let me play with speculation like that.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »
yeah, they're basically this generation's Beanie Babies except pop-culture related? But at least with Beanie Babies the entire thing (not that it ever came to pass) was that they were "rare" and they would be worth more at some point in the future. As far as I know that's never been a thing with Funko Pop figurines.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
I remember in 1996 a person I met in Chicago was talking about their massive Beanie Baby collection.  Another person was saying how collectible they were going to be and how smart they were to be trading them and that $200 on eBay for such-and-such was a great deal, etc.  I didn't get it, still don't.  I was right in my instincts.

My wife and her family had some sort of hookup back in the 90s on Beanie Babies, I dunno how.  They ended up with a bunch of rare ones that they paid sticker or close to it for.

They ended up selling their whole collection and netted enough to take all 5 of them on a trip to Maui for a week (minus airfare, that was covered with dad's miles from work). 

Pretty amazing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2019, 11:46:09 AM »
yeah, they're basically this generation's Beanie Babies except pop-culture related? But at least with Beanie Babies the entire thing (not that it ever came to pass) was that they were "rare" and they would be worth more at some point in the future. As far as I know that's never been a thing with Funko Pop figurines.

The fun thing about beanie babies is they were cute and fun to play with.  At least it was a tangible thing to collect.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
A colleague bought himself a nice car.  I think it was a Mercedes of some sort, but I don't really remember.  I saw it once when we drove up at the same time to work--it was pretty, and he seemed to like it, so fine.  Then, because he didn't want to get it too dirty (?), he bought himself a VW Jetta for "regular driving."  I don't get it.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
I remember in 1996 a person I met in Chicago was talking about their massive Beanie Baby collection.  Another person was saying how collectible they were going to be and how smart they were to be trading them and that $200 on eBay for such-and-such was a great deal, etc.  I didn't get it, still don't.  I was right in my instincts.

My wife and her family had some sort of hookup back in the 90s on Beanie Babies, I dunno how.  They ended up with a bunch of rare ones that they paid sticker or close to it for.

They ended up selling their whole collection and netted enough to take all 5 of them on a trip to Maui for a week (minus airfare, that was covered with dad's miles from work). 

Pretty amazing.

This reminds me of in the baseball card craze in the early 90s (I believe it may have started late 80s).   I was working with a guy who talked about his son who was collecting baseball cards as an "investment", how great that was and how this would fund his college education.   I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was rarity that made them valuable (my husband is a collector but not of baseball cards) and if everyone was collecting cards as an investment, that didn't make them rare.  I left the place shortly after and never knew what happened when the market went bust. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:14 PM »

The fun thing about beanie babies is they were cute and fun to play with.  At least it was a tangible thing to collect.
Funko Pops are also tangible. I have 4 of them on my desk right now. I don't see them as an investment, but as something that I like that represents my interests. Do you know anyone who has movie posters or prints of artwork they like? It's the same deal.

Sorry, I wasn't following the conversation well. Just ignore me... i'm really tired.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »

Pretty amazing.

This reminds me of in the baseball card craze in the early 90s (I believe it may have started late 80s).   I was working with a guy who talked about his son who was collecting baseball cards as an "investment", how great that was and how this would fund his college education.   I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was rarity that made them valuable (my husband is a collector but not of baseball cards) and if everyone was collecting cards as an investment, that didn't make them rare.  I left the place shortly after and never knew what happened when the market went bust.
Reminds me of someone I knew I high school whose parents bought a special Christmas Barbie every year and stored it away in a closet as her college “investment”. Even as I kid I thought it was ridiculous.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »
I have those damn barbies. They were never an investment, but they stayed unopened to "preserve them". (Which was OK because they were display dolls.)

They are my go-to white elephant gift now.  I just grab one from the doll shelf.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »
I don’t even know what funko pop figurines are. I’m a little reluctant to even google it...
Haha - Don't !
Picture a "bobblehead" figurine that your local major metropolitan sports franchise/ stadium hands out to every fan thru the gates on a certain home game night. But the heads don't bobble and graphics are probably better.

I have a friend who has a bunch of these funnko-pop dolls, many in triplicate.  Dude, if you found 3 of the DarthVader figurines at the local toy store , how rare can they possibly be ?  He does have one he is rather proud of, he paid a premium [ I think $18 ]- it is a lady actress from a short lived TV show - that he bought for his wife, as she is a fan of the show.  They actually only did make a few of those particular actress figurines [ probably worth $26 ]

Same guy will look up a Star Wars figure that he owns , and has seen advertised for sale on E-bay and say "look it's worth $100 " . I have then had him drill down the parameters of the search to find the same items that have Actually Sold on E-bay, and it's usually well less than $100 that they actually traded hands for....

I wonder what the actual retail cost, + tax , etc , was for the $1700 collection ??

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:49 AM »
Had an IT guy at my previous employer who kept a nice Nissan GT-R (latest model at the time) as his Friday/weekend ride and garage queen. Daily driver was Chevy Trailblazer SS. He sat in the office and traded oil and currencies, swore off index funds, except those in his employer's 401K. He kept his house at 84F, with the thermostat locked in a transparent security cover. Last I know, his long-term GF left him.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2019, 09:59:31 AM »
Had an IT guy at my previous employer who kept a nice Nissan GT-R (latest model at the time) as his Friday/weekend ride and garage queen. Daily driver was Chevy Trailblazer SS. He sat in the office and traded oil and currencies, swore off index funds, except those in his employer's 401K. He kept his house at 84F, with the thermostat locked in a transparent security cover. Last I know, his long-term GF left him.

Holy crap!

We live in the Mojave desert and have a swamp cooler as our only cooling option, and 84 is about what our house gets to when it's 115F+ outside.

Why would someone purposefully do that to themselves?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
84F in the winter might be just right for some folks. I'll bet in the summer he runs the a/c to some very cold temp.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »
I never collected beanie babies or funko pop figurines (didnt think I was that old, but never even heard of these), but I do have a small collection on top of my bookshelf at work: Hot Wheels. 

It started as a joke from a friend, we used to buy and exchange one every christmas.  I now have 1 for every year I've worked since college.  Total cost: about $14.  They make me smile on bad days.  I occasionally drive them around my desk and make engine noises. 

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2019, 02:18:31 PM »
I had a dorm-mate in college who liked to keep his thermostat at 80F. I know because due to a quirk of the dorm's design, the thermostat inside his room also controlled the heat in my room (everyone else was on a different thermostat). I had to keep my window or door open all the time, or else I would roast!

Turns out he liked it that way so he could spend all his time naked (which was TMI at the time).

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
Two stories, not that dramatic but I'll share.

First is a Coworker in their mid thirties who has been working for about a decade for our organisation, five years at current place of work, so is on higher pay than myself. Coworker rents a place and complains about not being able to save for a deposit on a place in Sydney, which to be fair is HCOL and a 20% deposit on a modest 500-600k apartment will run 100k-150k. Their share of the rent is about $400/week, after-tax pay is about $1300/week. Goes on overseas holidays every year with partner and child, usually preceded by angst about being able to pay for things. Has gym membership and overheard talking about sound bar purchased for new TV using Afterpay. To their credit they only have one car and it is a modest second-hand one. Has refused to pay union membership on the basis of Sydney being too expensive and needing the money.

Doing the sums myself I reckon coworker could save $20K a year pretty easily after tax with basically their current lifestyle, allowing for $20k in rent and a further generous $20k in living expenses. In the five years they have spent at current place of work they could have saved a $100k deposit.

Second is dear sister, who has a 'bad with money' identity and doesn't seem to realise that her financial outcomes are linked to her spending habits. Bought a brand new Jeep Compass (25k plus a 'service pack' with the dealership) in 2015 using a car loan, as she was convinced by her partner (who went through 4 new cars in 2 years) that used cars are bad because of the unexpected repair costs. When DS bought the new car she was on a temporary contract of employment, which was soon after terminated. So she had to use hardship provisions to pause car loan repayments while collecting unemployment benefits.

Three years on and a few temp jobs later, she has finally secured a permanent position and her new car loan is down to about 5k. So what does she do 3 months into her first permanent job? Book a 2 month trip to Latin America and Europe with her new partner! She hasn't told her supervisor yet and I have no idea what will happen to her job. She also mentioned at Christmas buying another new car, mentioning the same logic about old used cars being money pits because of repairs.

She is in her late 20s and has lived at home rent free her whole life. I worry that in a decades time she will be in roughly the same position, without a capital base/savings and that this will fuel resentment towards myself, or helplessness in terms of her ability to manage her own affairs. I have been thinking of buying her a popular finance book and talking over it with her over a lunch or similar.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »

Second is dear sister, who has a 'bad with money' identity and doesn't seem to realise that her financial outcomes are linked to her spending habits. Bought a brand new Jeep Compass (25k plus a 'service pack' with the dealership) in 2015 using a car loan, as she was convinced by her partner (who went through 4 new cars in 2 years) that used cars are bad because of the unexpected repair costs. When DS bought the new car she was on a temporary contract of employment, which was soon after terminated. So she had to use hardship provisions to pause car loan repayments while collecting unemployment benefits.

Three years on and a few temp jobs later, she has finally secured a permanent position and her new car loan is down to about 5k. So what does she do 3 months into her first permanent job? Book a 2 month trip to Latin America and Europe with her new partner! She hasn't told her supervisor yet and I have no idea what will happen to her job. She also mentioned at Christmas buying another new car, mentioning the same logic about old used cars being moneys pits because of repairs.

She is in her late 20s and has lived at home rent free her whole life. I worry that in a decades time she will be in roughly the same position, without a capital base/savings and that this will fuel resentment towards myself, or helplessness in terms of her ability to manage her own affairs. I have been thinking of buying her a popular finance book and talking over it with her over a lunch or similar.

This is my brother ( he’s in Canada so no real chance of making them a wining pair). He has been working for Walmart for ten years and living with mum and dad. Now the the guys is in a panick because mum wants to move 2hours away to be closer to her grand daughter. At 37 he is I’ll equiped to leave the nest. What to do?

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »

Pretty amazing.

You must have worked with my ex-husband. How it turned out is we got divorced. I'm financially independent and he is not. Our son still has the cards. He's 30 and keeps them on a shelf to remind him not to be stupid with his money. He just recently bought a bunch of Vanguard funds. Happy ending

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2019, 06:52:52 AM »
84F in the winter might be just right for some folks. I'll bet in the summer he runs the a/c to some very cold temp.

84F was the summer indoor temperature with the A/C running. He didn't use heating for the winter, claimed that his mini-datacenter provided plenty of heat for the 2000 sqft house.

I keep our house at 77-78F. I'd prefer 75, wife wants 80. We don't have carpet and don't have high ceilings, so 78F is fine. Summers, we don't sleep with heavy blankets, just a cotton sheet, optional.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:54:33 AM by jinga nation »

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2019, 07:03:02 AM »

Second is dear sister:

So what does she do 3 months into her first permanent job? Book a 2 month trip to Latin America and Europe with her new partner! She hasn't told her supervisor yet and I have no idea what will happen to her job.

How is this even possible? What is her end game and how does she expect her boss to react when told that she will be leaving her NEW position for two months in the near future? That is insane.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2019, 07:10:19 AM »

84F was the summer indoor temperature with the A/C running. He didn't use heating for the winter, claimed that his mini-datacenter provided plenty of heat for the 2000 sqft house.

I keep our house at 77-78F. I'd prefer 75, wife wants 80. We don't have carpet and don't have high ceilings, so 78F is fine. Summers, we don't sleep with heavy blankets, just a cotton sheet, optional.
Well heck, that's almost mustachian! Except for when his pipes freeze in the winter, and his food spoils in the summer... Sounds like the definition of cheap vs. frugal to me.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2019, 10:47:45 AM »
Simple strategy for discussion with new car sis. Total up six months of her payment. Point out that this would pay for anything that would likely go wrong with a car for the first 150K+ miles.

Of course then she'd prob spend the savings...

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
Yet another car related one. A coworker recently hit a deer in his car (which really sucks, feel bad for the guy). His three-year old car was totaled, so he took a day to go buy a new car. Because of the amount of negative equity he "had to" get something with a big rebate on it, so he got a new Ram Truck (possibly on lease? this part is unclear). However, he already had one Ram truck (also three years old), and his wife didn't want to drive a truck, so now they "had to" buy a new car for her. She wanted an SUV, so the bought a Porsche SUV (it was used, so I guess that's something). Then he says that three years is the longest they've ever kept a car, the usual was 12-18 months. Oh, and they also have cars for their two college age kids, a Camaro and a Mustang.

I-Ranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2019, 08:49:16 AM »

Pretty amazing.

You must have worked with my ex-husband. How it turned out is we got divorced. I'm financially independent and he is not. Our son still has the cards. He's 30 and keeps them on a shelf to remind him not to be stupid with his money. He just recently bought a bunch of Vanguard funds. Happy ending

My brother and I collected cards from all sports like crazy from 84-92. We thought they would be valuable some day. They are not. At all.

About 5 years ago, my parents cleaned out their basement and asked us to take out ten full Rubbermaid storage totes of cards out of their house. I spent a weekend going through them and seeing what they were worth today. I found about twenty cards that were "worth" more than $10, kept those, and me and my brother dumped the rest in the fire pit and watched them burn. My Mom was slightly upset, because the cards were such a big part of my and my brother's childhood, but she did see that it would be insane to hold on to such a huge amount of something that is essentially just garbage at this point.

The cards of that era are worthless not just because so many were made and purchased, but also because everyone bought protective sleeves and cases for individual cards. So, not only does everyone have the cards, but they are all in mint condition!

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »

Second is dear sister:

So what does she do 3 months into her first permanent job? Book a 2 month trip to Latin America and Europe with her new partner! She hasn't told her supervisor yet and I have no idea what will happen to her job.

How is this even possible? What is her end game and how does she expect her boss to react when told that she will be leaving her NEW position for two months in the near future? That is insane.

I have no idea. I think the most likely scenario is that she actually booked the trip before she was made permanent, and did not tell anyone. She has got it into her head that she 'needs' to go to Brasil as our cousin is getting married. We are not particularly close with this cousin since we live on the other side of the world, and no one else from our family, including my mother, who is this cousin's Aunty, is going to go. I guess she feels like she is representing the family or something, I dunno.

I tried to talk with her at the end of last year, before she booked her trip, about priorities, told her that she didn't 'need' to do anything, and that she would have to decide what was more important to her - an overseas trip or a shot at building some savings and maybe moving out of home. That's when she kind of fobbed it off and said "I'm not the sort of person who's focused on money". As above I think she had probably already booked the trip.

DS' first partner, the one who rotated through 4 new cars in about two years, was on a decent six figure salary and got her used to a high-spend lifestyle. They would rent a house down or up the coast for a weekend away, for example. They rented a clifftop coastal home just south of Sydney ($$$) for the weekend for one of DS' birthdays. They would spend a lot on eating out.

This year has been less extravagant, but she went to a wedding south of Perth for a few days on the other side of the country for a few days, which would have cost 2k or so all in with flights, hire car and accommodation.

One of the reasons is she hasn't felt much desire to save is her place at my parent's house is very nice, she has an almost self-contained granny flat (Aussie word for a detached studio in a backyard). If that was rented it would easily fetch $250 a week. In contrast I lived in a small 2.5x3m bedroom in the main house and I hated the noise (my Dad runs the TV loud pretty much all the time he is home) and lack of personal quiet space.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:53:05 PM by pab88 »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »
That's when she kind of fobbed it off and said "I'm not the sort of person who's focused on money".

When the inevitable day comes when she is unhappy because she's in debt and can't afford X, would it be cruel to remind her that she said this?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2019, 05:17:23 PM »
That's when she kind of fobbed it off and said "I'm not the sort of person who's focused on money".

When the inevitable day comes when she is unhappy because she's in debt and can't afford X, would it be cruel to remind her that she said this?

Or the day when her parents get sick of her and tell her to move out?

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2019, 05:58:16 PM »

Or the day when her parents get sick of her and tell her to move out?

My parents like the company I think. They were happy for me to stay at home, indefinitely, and I think they would get a little lonely if my sister moved out.

The saying that comes to mind is the one that goes "you might not take an interest in politics, but politics will eventually take an interest in you" - that applies so well to personal finance. I really care for her, so I don't want to be the 'I told you so' person. I'm thinking of some non-preachy ways I can introduce her to moustachian ideas. I was thinking of taking her to lunch and sketching out a budget for her so she at least has a picture of how much is coming in versus how much is going out, then I can offer some suggestions or we can agree on a goal regarding a savings rate.

Davey Crockett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2019, 10:06:43 PM »

I did. You'll save yourself a few minutes of your time if you take a pass on the google search and just assume it's as dumb as you think it is.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:08:25 PM by Davey Crockett »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 20, 2019, 03:35:40 AM »

I did. You'll save yourself a few minutes of your time if you take a pass on the google search and just assume it's as dumb as you think it is.
Thanks for taking one for the team. :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 20, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »

Dangit...I had to look. Couldn't just take your word for it. But I should have.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #236 on: January 20, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »

Dangit...I had to look. Couldn't just take your word for it. But I should have.

Ditto. Cannot be unseen.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #237 on: January 20, 2019, 10:32:14 AM »
Not just overheard but said to my face:

"I don't get the point of saving money if I'll only earn like 5 cents in interest."

(Coworker in high amount of student loan and consumer debt who doesn't contribute to 401k or IRA, commenting on why he doesn't save money/doesn't want to save, during a discussion on savings account with higher interest rates than what he's currently using.)

:/

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2019, 02:48:11 PM »
It has been suggested that the thread
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/  was getting big and unwieldy at 400+ pages.

In response this new thread has been created.

For newer people, topics in the previous thread exhaustively covered and thoroughly beaten to death in the old thread include:

Foam:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/msg717494/#msg717494
TL;DR - Foam is way off topic stuff.

The color of boxes:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/msg717747/#msg717747
TL;DR  -  Airplane voice/data Black boxes are Orange.

I'm open to editing this post to enumerate and describe other dead horses beaten past leather to the point of foamy-ness, so we don't have to figure out the color of boxes again.

Piglet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
About 15 years ago when I lived in Virginia, I interviewed a young woman who would eventually take the job I was leaving to go back to get my Master's degree. Since she was now working with my old coworkers, I would run into her and her husband at get togethers. 3 years later, I got a job in the same place of employment that I had left but in a completely different department from where I worked previously. As luck would have it, I ended up working with my replacement's husband. Let's call him "Reprehensible A-hole Extraordinaire" or "RAE" for short. I hope I'm not giving away too much of the story already:).

Needless to say, after working with RAE for About 6 months, I developed strong negative feelings for him as a person. Just as an example of his character, he announced one day that he was going to go to lunch with his "surprise to all of us" now 10 year old son. Turns out, 10 years ago, his girlfriend got pregnant with his child. They moved into a house together and he told her that they would be together as a family. Then one day, when she was about 2 weeks away from the due date, he went out to get groceries and just never came back. Now remember, HE is telling us this story, so this is first person vice the rumor mill. Anyway, he admits he just left her with nothing, no $, no support, nada. About 2 years after the child was born, the exGF asked him to sign over all parental rights so the boy could be adopted by her new husband. RAE was more than happy to do so. Now, 10 years later the boy wanted to meet RAE and get to know him. During those 10 years, he met and married the above mentioned young lady who replaced me in my old job. (Let's call her Naive Wife #1, or NW1 for short). (Again, hope I'm not giving too much away....) It was my understanding that NW1 knew about the circumstances of RAE's first child and married him anyway...

RAE and I worked together for about a year during which time, RAE and NW1 show a penchant for lunches out, luxury sedans, dinners out with drinks, designer clothes, Harley Davidson motorcycle, and high end cigars. Given RAE and NW1's DINK status, I never questioned their spending. They bought a home about 45 minutes drive from work. All seemed well on the financial front. However, after my first year at my new job, I overheard a loud and very contentious meeting between RAE and our boss and less than 2 months later, RAE left abruptly and got a new job at another company.

Years pass and I lose touch with RAE (honestly, I made no effort to keep in contact with him) and NW1, but hear occasionally about them from my old coworkers, mainly that they now have 3 daughters. I relocate to Florida with my company, and I hear that RAE and NW1 are in the same city (having also been relocated to Florida since NW1 and I still work for the same company). But by this time, I have had no contact with them in years, so I really had no idea what was going on in their lives. 2 years after moving to Florida, an old coworker friend and his wife come to visit me. They call me to let me know they are leaving NW1's house and will be at mine in 10 minutes. I laughed, and said, "NW1 doesn't live 10 minutes away, they live about an hour away, so I will see you in an hour..."

12 minutes later, my friends ring my doorbell! I am so surprised that when I open the door, I blurt out, "Did RAE and NW1 move?" To which my friends replied in sudden hushed voices, "Don't you know what happened?"  I tell them no....

Turns out, RAE, being RAE, decided to not just step in, but full body bathe in his own crapulence and ended up having an affair with his 22 year old step-niece, who is the daughter of his brother's wife from a prior relationship. So step-niece was not blood related, but RAE and NW1 had known her since she was 10 years old and had been a family fixture at Christmas, birthdays and other family gatherings.

So NW1, having discovered the affair, immediately filed for divorce and moved to a small townhouse about 10 minutes from my place with her and RAE's 3 daughters. I was totally gobsmacked not only at the sordidness of the entire affair, but the follow on details which I discover from our mutual friends are as follows:

1) RAE had left his employer in Virginia and took a new job with another employer in Florida. About 9 months before the affair was discovered, he was let go due to"ethical issues". I have no idea what those ethical issues were, but am fairly certain, given RAE's past, they were grounded. So, at the time of the divorce, RAE had been unemployed for several months...

2) RAE and NW1 had sold their home in Virginia (for quite a bit of profit), but were renting in Florida. I have no idea what happened to the profit from the sale of the VA home.

3) After filing for divorce, NW1 moved to another rental closer to work with the 3 daughters, which necessitated them moving from the schools and friends they had been in previously, because they could no longer afford to rent the home they lived in before. So now they had to start over in a new school, no friends, and no dad (and the aftermath of whatever fallout on their dad's side of the family).

4) Worst of all, due to RAE's unemployment, and (it turns out very very very poor financial decisions on both RAE and NW1's part for their entire marriage during which time RAE made over $100k per year and NW1 made just under $100k per year for well over 10 years) they had no assets to split. So poor NW1 got nothing from RAE, not even child support for their 3 young daughters, and I would guess, she probably got slapped with half of the debt they probably incurred with their lifestyle.

I understand that NW1 remarried less than a year later, and RAE moved up north to try to start his own consulting company.

SMH...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
Wow. Just, wow.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2019, 11:44:59 PM »
Indeed, wow. Some jaw-dropping stories on here. PTF

Piglet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2019, 11:24:47 AM »
In 20 years, I've worked in a few industries, but the things I've seen tend to transcend fields. I had a young coworker, just starting out in a financial analysis job who felt he had to "keep up" (whatever that means)... So on his starting salary on the first rung of the career ladder, rented a one bedroom apartment in the suburbs of DC and bought a new Acura. He spent the first year stealing people's lunches from the fridge. It got to the point, where his boss, who felt bad for him, started bringing extra food into the office to keep him from pilfering other coworkers food.

About 2 years into the job, (he apparently was very good at what he did), he felt a calling to preach the word of God in a university town in TN. He told everyone at work who was very supportive of his dream. (I believe no one really knew it was him responsible for the food that disappeared from the communal fridge). He also met a young woman who also was inspired to join him (my understanding was that she was a certified nursing assistant). Anyway, after he met her, his plans to leave and preach were greatly accelerated. So within a few months, with no $$ saved and no theological seminary or divinity school background, he quit his job and moved to TN with his now wife and they both got jobs waiting tables at Ruby Tuesday.

He launched a blog that captured his "sermons" while also doing a great job at documenting their financial implosion which included requesting $$$ from former colleagues to finance the opening of a coffee shop that would be a welcoming and warm place for young Christians from the local university to hang out (with no business plan or anything other than reassurances that they had found a GREAT location for said coffee shop). Some of my coworkers were very generous and sent him $$, all of which went into their living expenses, which (not surprisingly) exceeded their incomes. The coffee shop idea never got off the ground...

Months pass, and their financial situation gets more and more desperate, and finally, he decides that what's really missing is theological seminary, so he quits his job at Ruby Tuesday and takes out student loans for them to live on while taking seminary classes online. More months pass and the financial situation continues to spiral, but now they've decided to add 2 (or 3?) dogs to the situation, and then of course, the ultimate of bright ideas: "Let's have a baby!" Once pregnant, the wife decides she can no longer work, and their financial situation goes into free fall.

Eventually, they are evicted, (at some point, the Acura is either sold or repossessed) and move to another home, then another - each one an eviction situation, until finally, unable to rent any place to live in that TN town, they move in with the wife's parents. Who apparently, according to the wife's tandem eyebrow raising blog, are horrible beyond words, despite taking in their now indigent daughter and son-in-law, 2-3 dogs and soon to be grand baby. Husband is now supplementing the student loan $ by selling AFLAC insurance on the side. After months of tolerating the wife's parents' "abusive behavior" (which included a roof over their heads, food, and food and care of their dogs), they save up enough to move out and returned to the DC area where they somehow rent a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath townhouse... But justify the home because, you know... The baby is coming... And the now 3 dogs...

Shortly after moving in to their new home, the baby is born, and the wife continues to insist that there is no way she can possibly work. The husband finally realizes that he cannot sustain their lifestyle and breaks down, gives up his dream of preaching, and contacts all his old coworker friends in order to try to get a job in financial analysis again. A lot of the coworkers who had given him $ for the coffee shop, understandably did not respond. His old boss, however, replies, GIVES him several hundred $$s but insists that he get a real job, stop taking out student loans, and face the reality that he's basically an unemployed married father with no real income living a lifestyle that DINKs in the DC suburbs cannot afford.

The husband gets a job at Home Depot, buys a beater with the $$ his old boss gifted him, and after 9 months of sending out his resume, and with a good recommendation from his old boss, lands a job in Charlottesville in financial analysis making less than what he did when he started on this entire journey.

I heard from his old boss that they rented a large farmhouse (basically for the 3 dogs) and now 3 kids that's about 45 minutes from his work.  Wife continues to refuse to go back to work.

My greatest hope, having watched this entire saga unfold over the course of years, is that the hard knocks, period of almost homelessness, and now 3 small kids, would have hit this couple over the head like a large sock full of marbles. But no.... His old boss informed me that last she heard from him, he was trying to take advantage of some program that would subsidize a car (I have never heard of such a program before, but apparently it's a thing where he lives?) for work.

What kind of car, you ask? Another Acura...

O_O

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »
Oh boy this thread throws up some horrifying epics from time to time

Thanks @Piglet for sharing.

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2019, 01:31:00 PM »
In 20 years, I've worked in a few industries, but the things I've seen tend to transcend fields. I had a young coworker, just starting out in a financial analysis job who felt he had to "keep up" (whatever that means)... So on his starting salary on the first rung of the career ladder, rented a one bedroom apartment in the suburbs of DC and bought a new Acura. He spent the first year stealing people's lunches from the fridge. It got to the point, where his boss, who felt bad for him, started bringing extra food into the office to keep him from pilfering other coworkers food.

About 2 years into the job, (he apparently was very good at what he did), he felt a calling to preach the word of God in a university town in TN. He told everyone at work who was very supportive of his dream. (I believe no one really knew it was him responsible for the food that disappeared from the communal fridge). He also met a young woman who also was inspired to join him (my understanding was that she was a certified nursing assistant). Anyway, after he met her, his plans to leave and preach were greatly accelerated. So within a few months, with no $$ saved and no theological seminary or divinity school background, he quit his job and moved to TN with his now wife and they both got jobs waiting tables at Ruby Tuesday.

He launched a blog that captured his "sermons" while also doing a great job at documenting their financial implosion which included requesting $$$ from former colleagues to finance the opening of a coffee shop that would be a welcoming and warm place for young Christians from the local university to hang out (with no business plan or anything other than reassurances that they had found a GREAT location for said coffee shop). Some of my coworkers were very generous and sent him $$, all of which went into their living expenses, which (not surprisingly) exceeded their incomes. The coffee shop idea never got off the ground...

Months pass, and their financial situation gets more and more desperate, and finally, he decides that what's really missing is theological seminary, so he quits his job at Ruby Tuesday and takes out student loans for them to live on while taking seminary classes online. More months pass and the financial situation continues to spiral, but now they've decided to add 2 (or 3?) dogs to the situation, and then of course, the ultimate of bright ideas: "Let's have a baby!" Once pregnant, the wife decides she can no longer work, and their financial situation goes into free fall.

Eventually, they are evicted, (at some point, the Acura is either sold or repossessed) and move to another home, then another - each one an eviction situation, until finally, unable to rent any place to live in that TN town, they move in with the wife's parents. Who apparently, according to the wife's tandem eyebrow raising blog, are horrible beyond words, despite taking in their now indigent daughter and son-in-law, 2-3 dogs and soon to be grand baby. Husband is now supplementing the student loan $ by selling AFLAC insurance on the side. After months of tolerating the wife's parents' "abusive behavior" (which included a roof over their heads, food, and food and care of their dogs), they save up enough to move out and returned to the DC area where they somehow rent a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath townhouse... But justify the home because, you know... The baby is coming... And the now 3 dogs...

Shortly after moving in to their new home, the baby is born, and the wife continues to insist that there is no way she can possibly work. The husband finally realizes that he cannot sustain their lifestyle and breaks down, gives up his dream of preaching, and contacts all his old coworker friends in order to try to get a job in financial analysis again. A lot of the coworkers who had given him $ for the coffee shop, understandably did not respond. His old boss, however, replies, GIVES him several hundred $$s but insists that he get a real job, stop taking out student loans, and face the reality that he's basically an unemployed married father with no real income living a lifestyle that DINKs in the DC suburbs cannot afford.

The husband gets a job at Home Depot, buys a beater with the $$ his old boss gifted him, and after 9 months of sending out his resume, and with a good recommendation from his old boss, lands a job in Charlottesville in financial analysis making less than what he did when he started on this entire journey.

I heard from his old boss that they rented a large farmhouse (basically for the 3 dogs) and now 3 kids that's about 45 minutes from his work.  Wife continues to refuse to go back to work.

My greatest hope, having watched this entire saga unfold over the course of years, is that the hard knocks, period of almost homelessness, and now 3 small kids, would have hit this couple over the head like a large sock full of marbles. But no.... His old boss informed me that last she heard from him, he was trying to take advantage of some program that would subsidize a car (I have never heard of such a program before, but apparently it's a thing where he lives?) for work.

O_O

You should forward his blog to whoever hired the guy to be a FINANCIAL ANALYST!!!

Piglet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »
Oh boy this thread throws up some horrifying epics from time to time

Thanks @Piglet for sharing.

Thanks for letting me vent... After 20 years of biting my tongue, it's cathartic to let it out....

Piglet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »

O_O

You should forward his blog to whoever hired the guy to be a FINANCIAL ANALYST!!!

Right? But both he and the wife took down their blogs. Apparently in the first months back in DC he would honestly tell potential employers about his time in TN, which I think led to some of them finding his blog... Both blogs disappeared a few months afterwards...

Brace yourself... He specialized in risk mitigation.... O_o

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »
*** bat-shit-crazy story***

I literally LOL'd at this comment because as all of the other details had me gripped in terror I overlooked the obvious. Good at his job, you say? Huh...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:31:00 PM by PrairieBeardstache »

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »

I literally LOL'd at this comment because as all of the other details had me gripped in terror I overlooked the obvious. Good at his job, you say? Huh...
Sometimes I wonder if folks like this aren't a little like some of the patient cases described in the book Descartes' Error: fully capable of reasoning (in the abstract) about what someone else should do in a given situation, yet utterly incapable of applying that reasoning to their own lives.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2019, 05:20:11 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if folks like this aren't a little like some of the patient cases described in the book Descartes' Error: fully capable of reasoning (in the abstract) about what someone else should do in a given situation, yet utterly incapable of applying that reasoning to their own lives.

It is easier to change the world into a better place, than to change yourself into a better person.

Habits, habits, habits.
One of the bad habits I have is getting angry about my many other bad habits, like reading the MMM forums instead of doing something productive.
In this sense, I am off ;)