Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 330188 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1750 on: November 05, 2019, 05:38:22 AM »
Haha... no :) (It doesn't take very long, and as old as that elevator appears to be... I don't want to give any additional active loading to it!)

I have heard from a few people who have been stuck in elevators at work. Usually they get i touch with a person when they use the alarm function. But it can still take some hours to fix the elevator and get them out. Better bring along some food, drink and an empty bottle on the ride, just in case. Luckily I only have 2 staircases at work and I can walk them.

Years ago, I started a new job at a new client in a new city I had to commute to and from every weekend.   I got dropped off at the client location and was introduced, then my customer contact left for the day.  I popped into the elevator to go down to the cafeteria on the first floor.   The elevator went straight to the basement and stopped working.   The doors wouldn't open.   No one heard me yell.   I found a small door panel on the elevator wall down at ankle level.   It had a old style phone headset in a fixed cradle with a very short cable.  So I bent over very awkwardly, picked it up and said "Hello?  I'm stuck in the elevator."

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"I'm in the elevator stuck in the basement."

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

"What address are you at?"

"You mean you're not in the building?"

"No, we're a national service bureau."

At this point I start to panic because I don't know where I am and they don't either.   I know the name of my client's company, but it's not their building.  I'm just in a building in the DC metro area.

"Oh,  let me give you the phone number of someone who does knows where I am."

I was in that elevator for just under an hour.

Now I always make sure I don't have the slightest urge to pee before I get in an elevator because that last 15 minutes was uncomfy.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1751 on: November 05, 2019, 06:09:10 AM »
Haha... no :) (It doesn't take very long, and as old as that elevator appears to be... I don't want to give any additional active loading to it!)

I have heard from a few people who have been stuck in elevators at work. Usually they get i touch with a person when they use the alarm function. But it can still take some hours to fix the elevator and get them out. Better bring along some food, drink and an empty bottle on the ride, just in case. Luckily I only have 2 staircases at work and I can walk them.

Years ago, I started a new job at a new client in a new city I had to commute to and from every weekend.   I got dropped off at the client location and was introduced, then my customer contact left for the day.  I popped into the elevator to go down to the cafeteria on the first floor.   The elevator went straight to the basement and stopped working.   The doors wouldn't open.   No one heard me yell.   I found a small door panel on the elevator wall down at ankle level.   It had a old style phone headset in a fixed cradle with a very short cable.  So I bent over very awkwardly, picked it up and said "Hello?  I'm stuck in the elevator."

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

At this point I start to panic because I don't know where I am and they don't either.   I know the name of my client's company, but it's not their building.  I'm just in a building in the DC metro area.

Now I always make sure I don't have the slightest urge to pee before I get in an elevator because that last 15 minutes was uncomfy.

You have to establish the pee corner early.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1752 on: November 05, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

Yep!

Forgot to mention that the address of the building was not in the elevator.   The certificate frame had a paper in it that said "Certificate on file in office."  I went back and wrote the address on the inside of the door to the phone.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1753 on: November 05, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
That's a genuine fear of mine. I could get the urge to visit the loo, hop on the elevator b/c it is more comfortable than the stairs and then get stuck in the elevator for an hour.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1754 on: November 05, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

That was what the empty bottle was meant for...

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1755 on: November 05, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »

from the Office

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1756 on: November 06, 2019, 03:43:34 PM »
Just had such an insane conversations with my coworkers that my head may explode. During this conversation I was basically told I'm lucky for choosing not to have kids yet, because there's absolutely NO WAY you can max out retirement accounts on $120k household income AND pay for 2 kids. One even said to plan on spending half your income on your kids.... this is also the same person who makes $105k/yr, is eligible to retire today and pull in a pension of $43k/yr, but that he'd need to get another job to get back to $100k because they can't possibly lower they're standard of living to $43k. We make less than them, save more, and still live much too lavishly!

I just don't get it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1757 on: November 06, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
Just had such an insane conversations with my coworkers that my head may explode. During this conversation I was basically told I'm lucky for choosing not to have kids yet, because there's absolutely NO WAY you can max out retirement accounts on $120k household income AND pay for 2 kids. One even said to plan on spending half your income on your kids.... this is also the same person who makes $105k/yr, is eligible to retire today and pull in a pension of $43k/yr, but that he'd need to get another job to get back to $100k because they can't possibly lower they're standard of living to $43k. We make less than them, save more, and still live much too lavishly!

I just don't get it.

I think the correct response to that would be, while smiling sweetly, "Well, maybe when everyone in your household grows up it will be easier to save money."     

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1758 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:51 PM »
I think the correct response to that would be, while smiling sweetly, "Well, maybe when everyone in your household grows up it will be easier to save money."   
That reply is so British! lol

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1759 on: November 07, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
M5, I'm living that exact scenario, as that's basically my household income and I have two kids. What a blow to find out my whole life is made up!

Although, if you're in a hetero relationship, probably some amount of luck is in play for not getting pregnant, so on some level it's a fair statement. Not the way this dude actually means, though.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1760 on: November 07, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
M5, I'm living that exact scenario, as that's basically my household income and I have two kids. What a blow to find out my whole life is made up!

Although, if you're in a hetero relationship, probably some amount of luck is in play for not getting pregnant, so on some level it's a fair statement. Not the way this dude actually means, though.

Haha, quite true. He later said he tracks all their spending except groceries. And he wants to continue turning a blind eye to it. Ding ding, I think we found a major source of the hemorrhaging!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1761 on: November 08, 2019, 06:51:31 AM »
Haha, quite true. He later said he tracks all their spending except groceries. And he wants to continue turning a blind eye to it. Ding ding, I think we found a major source of the hemorrhaging!

Maybe this is an unfair generalization, but when I hear stuff along the lines of "I want my spouse to do [gender-normative chore] differently!" (in this case grocery shopping), I always imagine the conversation goes "Honey, you should change the way you do ['gender-normative chore]." "No, I like it my way, but if you want it different you could do it." "No, I can't do that! [Gender-normative chore] is for [other gender]!"

And then they still complain about it.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: November 08, 2019, 07:05:58 AM »

Maybe this is an unfair generalization, but when I hear stuff along the lines of "I want my spouse to do [gender-normative chore] differently!" (in this case grocery shopping), I always imagine the conversation goes "Honey, you should change the way you do ['gender-normative chore]." "No, I like it my way, but if you want it different you could do it." "No, I can't do that! [Gender-normative chore] is for [other gender]!"

And then they still complain about it.

Yeah. My husband both did the groceries and also did the vast majority of the meals. I had no complaints about his cooking (me and the kids enjoyed his meals) and his general shopping, but I didn't understand why we were spending so much (around 1K a month, not including going out to eat). I ended up having him save the receipts for a couple months. While there was some food waste (buying too much food, leftovers, produce being thrown out before being eaten) I think about 20-25% of our food costs were going to booze alone. No idea how much spent at the bar because he used his cash for that.

I've been stuck in an elevator twice. the first time it was in a hospital, but when I used the phone to call someone it was the same situation, where while I was in Durham the person who was going to respond to the call was in Raleigh (someone from another city had to come to respond). It wasn't too bad, around 45-50 minutes other than the other person in the elevator having a panic attack and saying things like we are going to die.

The 2nd time, another hospital (Va). We got stuck between floors. There was more of an immediate response, but they couldn't figure out how to raise/lower the elevator safely. There was at least 5 people in the elevator and we basically had to climb out with people on the other side puling us out. It was scary because I kept imagining what if the elevator dropped when I was climbing out and I got cut in half.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:10:44 AM by partgypsy »

Dogastrophe

• Stubble
« Reply #1763 on: November 08, 2019, 08:35:34 AM »

I've been stuck in an elevator twice. the first time it was in a hospital, but when I used the phone to call someone it was the same situation, where while I was in Durham the person who was going to respond to the call was in Raleigh (someone from another city had to come to respond). It wasn't too bad, around 45-50 minutes other than the other person in the elevator having a panic attack and saying things like we are going to die.

You should have told them "as long as you die first, I'll have a fresh food supply" just for the entertainment value.   

techwiz

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1764 on: November 08, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »

You should have told them "as long as you die first, I'll have a fresh food supply" just for the entertainment value.   

I have an stuck in elevator story.

I was working late and left after most of the building was empty. The elevator broke between floors, after a few minutes of pushing buttons I heard a voice on the call box.

Support Operator "Hello how can I help you?"
Me "The elevator broke can you help me get out of here"
Support Operator "Sure no problem, where are you?
Me "Elevator # 2 between 4th and 5th floor"
Support Operator "No I mean which city are you in and building address?"
Me "Oh ok I guess this is going to take a while."

I give the building address and she says she has to hang up and phone some other service number and will call me back. After about 30 minutes she calls me back and says the building operators have left for the day and I will have to wait until they are able to drive back to the office. She was able to call the building security who did end up talking through the door to me.  No big deal for me, as I am not claustrophobic and other than being hungry from working late without eating dinner I was fine. A hour or two later, finally the elevator begins to move. It travels all the way up to the top floor and the doors open. I jump out and take the stairs all the way down to the ground floor.  As I am heading out the building there are two security guards looking into an empty elevator looking confused talking on their radios saying.  "The elevator is here on the main floor but nobody is in it!" I was almost out the door and then turned back to tell them it was me they were looking for. They were shocked how did I get out, and wondered why I was not stressed out.   I take the stairs a lot more often now!

Davnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1765 on: November 08, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
The best part of that story is that I'm picturing it happening to Dilbert.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1766 on: November 08, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »

Yes, stairs are great. I only take the elevator when I have a trolley or when injured, or like most stories above, when in an unknown building where I'm not familiar with the staircases.

I have an stuck in elevator story.

I was working late and left after most of the building was empty. The elevator broke between floors, after a few minutes of pushing buttons I heard a voice on the call box.

Support Operator "Hello how can I help you?"
Me "The elevator broke can you help me get out of here"
Support Operator "Sure no problem, where are you?
Me "Elevator # 2 between 4th and 5th floor"
Support Operator "No I mean which city are you in and building address?"
Me "Oh ok I guess this is going to take a while."

I give the building address and she says she has to hang up and phone some other service number and will call me back. After about 30 minutes she calls me back and says the building operators have left for the day and I will have to wait until they are able to drive back to the office. She was able to call the building security who did end up talking through the door to me.  No big deal for me, as I am not claustrophobic and other than being hungry from working late without eating dinner I was fine. A hour or two later, finally the elevator begins to move. It travels all the way up to the top floor and the doors open. I jump out and take the stairs all the way down to the ground floor.  As I am heading out the building there are two security guards looking into an empty elevator looking confused talking on their radios saying.  "The elevator is here on the main floor but nobody is in it!" I was almost out the door and then turned back to tell them it was me they were looking for. They were shocked how did I get out, and wondered why I was not stressed out.   I take the stairs a lot more often now!

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1767 on: November 09, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »

I think it's a recipe for disaster.  It might appear to make sense now, but circumstances change. 

Are these five people single?  Expecting to stay single forever?  What happens when one of them enters into a long-term relationship?  How does that factor into the plan? 

What happens if one party doesn't meet their ongoing financial obligations re mortgage or utilities? 

Who gets the "best" bedroom and who gets the "dud" room? 

What happens if someone "needs" their equity and wants to sell and the rest don't? 

What if someone decides to move out?  Do they organise a roommate to cover their mortgage expense?  Do YOU organise one?  What if you disagree?

I suspect this kind of thing CAN work, but I reckon the likelihood of it not working must be pretty high...

Set it up as a corporation with shares doled out based on initial investment toward down payment and an operating fund. Corporation owns the house. Figure out a system for valuing bedrooms  based on desirability (ie, take monthly expenses as rent paid to the corporation and assign 25% of costs to the "best" bedroom, 20% to the 3 equivalent bedrooms and 15% for the "dud". If there's still competition for the "best" bedroom, keep upping the percentage until only one person wants it. Same with the "dud" - but downward.

Selecting a room-mate to replace a departed family member would be majority vote based on shares.

Someone not meeting obligations would be evicted.

Someone "needing" their equity would have the option to sell shares in the corporation.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1768 on: November 09, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »
Yeah! Why the need to talk with each other of you can just share-vote O.o

Sorry TomTX, you either have not read the part where they are close to each other, or you have no idea about psychology. If you do it your way - if those 5 are not of the rare sort you might be of - this is doomed to fail.

AMandM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1769 on: November 11, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »

I just don't get it.

At DH's work party, I'm chatting with the wives of two of DH's colleagues. Wife A is a hotshot lawyer, making a hefty 6 figures; wife B and I are both SAHMs. Our husbands are all roughly the same level/pay grade. Wife A says off handedly, in connection with something else, "...because it's impossible to live in this area on one income." Wife B and I just looked at each other.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1770 on: November 11, 2019, 09:42:37 PM »
I was stuck in a elevator at work with a crazy person. We were having a meeting with a accreditation board and whether we passed or not was totally my responsibility after only working there for a year. I was late of course but they were understanding.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #1771 on: November 14, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
I'm in the break room waiting in line to heat up my lunch.
Gov civilian likes to wear his pants couple of inches above his ankles, without socks, comes in.
I look down at his feet, then make eye contact. I know the guy somewhat, so I ask how that sockless ankle-show feels since we had a cold front that day, temps dropping 15-20F.
He says it feels good, he likes to wear his pants "European style". Then proceeds to state his footwear costs more than my "outfit". (I'm wearing a dress shirt, khakhis, shoes - normal office wear.)
I reply saying maybe he should upgrade his clothing to match his shoes. Meanwhile others in breakroom who overheard are giving him the eyeroll and weird faces behind his back.
One of the folks, who knows I'm gunning for FIRE (wife and I are close to FI but we love our jobs and employers and chill work/life balance) mentions when Mr-exposed-ankles and others are gone "you should have told him that you own a bunch of rentals." I said it wasn't worth it, we know we're dealing with a bonafide idiot, we don't need to re-prove a fact given that we have sufficient evidence.
Gov civilian has kid with ex, lives with GF and her kids, has issues saving, always well-dressed in the latest fashion. I'm only angry that my taxpayer funds support this numbnut who doesn't do anything technical but aspires to manage teams of technical contractors.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:41:20 AM by jinga nation »

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #1772 on: November 14, 2019, 12:41:54 PM »
I'm in the break room waiting in line to heat up my lunch.
Gov civilian likes to wear his pants couple of inches above his ankles, without socks, comes in.
I look down at his feet, then make eye contact. I know the guy somewhat, so I ask how that sockless ankle-show feels since we had a cold front that day, temps dropping 15-20F.
He says it feels good, he likes to wear his pants "European style". Then proceeds to state his footwear costs more than my "outfit". (I'm wearing a dress shirt, khakhis, shoes - normal office wear.)
I reply saying maybe he should upgrade his clothing to match his shoes. Meanwhile others in breakroom who overheard are giving him the eyeroll and weird faces behind his back.
One of the folks, who knows I'm gunning for FIRE (wife and I are close to FI but we love our jobs and employers and chill work/life balance) mentions when Mr-exposed-ankles and others are gone "you should have told him that you own a bunch of rentals." I said it wasn't worth it, we know we're dealing with a bonafide idiot, we don't need to re-prove a fact given that we have sufficient evidence.
Gov civilian has kid with ex, lives with GF and her kids, has issues saving, always well-dressed in the latest fashion. I'm only angry that my taxpayer funds support this numbnut who doesn't do anything technical but aspires to manage teams of technical contractors.

I had a similar experience (I’m a civilian employee) where I bumped into a friend of mine and his buddy (who is a total d-bag.) My friend made a comment of “nice outfit” at my clearance American Eagle khaki’s, gym shoes, and quarter-zip. Meanwhile, both are wearing “European style” pants with tight blazers, ties, super fitted shirts. My friends buddy had a cardigan sweater instead of a blazer. I said “Thanks, and why the F are you two dressed like that? We ain’t on Wall Street.” My buddy laughed. His friend did not. I left and kept living my life. 

UncleX

• Stubble
« Reply #1773 on: November 15, 2019, 12:43:15 AM »
As a European I have no clue what European style pants are…

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1774 on: November 15, 2019, 02:27:06 AM »

Here in Europe, I can guarantee that if the temps dropped that low (which they never do here) no ankles would be exposed.  In fact, everyone would be rugged up in marshmallow style puffer coats and moon boots. 

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1775 on: November 15, 2019, 05:06:24 AM »

Same here.. And when I googled it I don't feel like we even wear them at all?

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1776 on: November 15, 2019, 05:18:26 AM »
What do you think Europeans, is this Wiki true?
https://www.wikihow.com/Dress-European

UncleX

• Stubble
« Reply #1777 on: November 15, 2019, 05:33:51 AM »
Europe consists of 51 countries, some rich, some poor, some hot, some cold, some wet, some dry and a lot in between. There are 750 million people in Europe and about half of those are men. I think that's your answer… :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_population
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 05:37:01 AM by UncleX »

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #1778 on: November 15, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »
i bet the govt guy is following this guide:
https://www.fashionbeans.com/article/sockless-mankle-guide-men/

Another fucking useless word added to the lexicon: mankle

As someone who's been to various European countries, I have no clue what "European-style" pants/trousers is.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:10:05 AM by jinga nation »

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #1779 on: November 15, 2019, 08:00:26 AM »

As someone who's been to various European countries, I have no clue what "European-style" pants/trousers is.

There's a video on something called "pinroll." wtf.

Jouer

• Bristles
« Reply #1780 on: November 15, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »

pinroll, or pinchroll was a thing in the late 80s in Canada, or at least in my town in Newfoundland. A couple years ago I saw someone in Europe (Italy) rocking that look so got all excited and did it, too. Brought back all kinds of memories of my youth.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1781 on: November 15, 2019, 08:23:05 AM »

pinroll, or pinchroll was a thing in the late 80s in Canada, or at least in my town in Newfoundland. A couple years ago I saw someone in Europe (Italy) rocking that look so got all excited and did it, too. Brought back all kinds of memories of my youth.

Oh lord, we called that "pegging," and in the late 80s we would "peg" our acid-wash jeans and wear them with bright "push-down" socks (big legwarmer-like ankles) and high-top sneakers. SO trendy.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1782 on: November 15, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »

I just love how they consider Europe as one country. Very American-style topography :p

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1783 on: November 16, 2019, 12:30:55 AM »

Oh lord, we called that "pegging," and in the late 80s we would "peg" our acid-wash jeans and wear them with bright "push-down" socks (big legwarmer-like ankles) and high-top sneakers. SO trendy.

to me pegging is something else entirely

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1784 on: November 16, 2019, 04:43:01 AM »

to me pegging is something else entirely

Yes. Keep in mind that we were 8–12 years old and very sheltered in a conservative Catholic school at the time.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1785 on: November 16, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »

Well, some of the "european" style drawings look like my work clothes, but I never considered that a classic "european" look?

Seriously, there's a big difference between the various regions of Europe. I'm in NW Europe which is very casual 'skinny and flats' territory, while Germany, the next country to the east, the general style is a lot less casual, and my impression is that the further south you go, the less casual people tend to dress - but of course, that doesn't mean every single person dresses like that. And I haven't visited every single country in Europe. The weather is also very different across the different countries in Europe, so that certainly plays a role. Where I live it doesn't get cold, but the climate is wet and windy and we walk and bike a lot. So there's no point in dressing up too much.

I wouldn't consider ankle length trousers a very European thing? As far as I know they are supposed to reach but not cover the shoe, not show a bare ankle.

The stereotypical American tourist can be described as wearing oversized and very casual clothing at an age where such 'casual' clothing is maybe not as common in my country. Oversized clothing isn't so common and people over a certain age don't usually wear t-shirts. Certainly not the people that are wealthy enough to be able to afford a trip across the Atlantic. It seems like American women
over a certain age are also more used to wearing trousers rather than skirts. But this is the type of tourists you'd recognize from a distance, of course there are many more people you'd never notice.

For American exchange students, it used to be the white shoes but these days everyone wears the same type of sneakers. Big hoodies with university logos seem to be something Americans particularly like, as well as manicured nails.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #1786 on: November 17, 2019, 02:15:44 AM »
I live in Spain and dress is very informal, jeans are acceptable wear even for bank and solicitor's staff. Vey young children are dressed formally and always have shoes on, allegedly a throwback to when being able to afford shoes for your children was a sign of relative affluence.

Come Easter though all the glad rags are out. Synthetic is the order of the day, strike a match nearby at your peril.

Here in Europe, I can guarantee that if the temps dropped that low (which they never do here) no ankles would be exposed.  In fact, everyone would be rugged up in marshmallow style puffer coats and moon boots.

Only if it was between November and April though. Coats go on in November and stay on, even if we have a heatwave. Then they come off and stay off regardless of the weather.

In spring and autumn there are big disparities between the locals and more northern immigrants such as us. We dress along the lines of what level of warmth do I need if I'm sitting in direct sunshine in the hottest part of the day. The locals ask themselves what would be appropriate if they ended up sitting outside in the wind at 2am. So we'll be in t-shirts and they'll be in jumpers and scarves, all looking at each other as if the other is crazy.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1787 on: November 17, 2019, 02:28:44 AM »

I just love how they consider Europe as one country. Very American-style topography :p

This. :)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1788 on: November 17, 2019, 03:28:11 AM »
I live in Spain and dress is very informal, jeans are acceptable wear even for bank and solicitor's staff. Vey young children are dressed formally and always have shoes on, allegedly a throwback to when being able to afford shoes for your children was a sign of relative affluence.

Come Easter though all the glad rags are out. Synthetic is the order of the day, strike a match nearby at your peril.

Only if it was between November and April though. Coats go on in November and stay on, even if we have a heatwave. Then they come off and stay off regardless of the weather.

Hahaha yes this is something I definitely recognize from my childhood! We got new summer clothes, shoes and coat at Easter and you're going to wear them no matter the weather. When Easter is early in the year it's not unusual that it's snowing or freezing in my country. We'd just wear thights with our summer outfit. I was raised Catholic so we went to Mass and visited a lot of family and you were supposed to dress in your Easter best.

Vashy

• Stubble
« Reply #1789 on: November 17, 2019, 03:50:39 AM »

Nope. (Having lived in Germany, and the UK, and having visited Spain, Italy and France for extended periods.)

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1790 on: November 17, 2019, 06:39:30 AM »
In spring and autumn there are big disparities between the locals and more northern immigrants such as us. We dress along the lines of what level of warmth do I need if I'm sitting in direct sunshine in the hottest part of the day. The locals ask themselves what would be appropriate if they ended up sitting outside in the wind at 2am. So we'll be in t-shirts and they'll be in jumpers and scarves, all looking at each other as if the other is crazy.

Haha, reminds me of my holiday in Tunisia in early spring. We winter-steeled Germans walked bare feeted through the mediteranean, at 17°C air temp, with only a thin pullover and jacket bound around the waist.
The locals in their scarfs and wollen hats and thick winter clothes would look at us as if calculating if they should run away from those clearly mad people :D

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1791 on: November 17, 2019, 06:43:08 AM »

Haha, reminds me of my holiday in Tunisia in early spring. We winter-steeled Germans walked bare feeted through the mediteranean, at 17°C air temp, with only a thin pullover and jacket bound around the waist.
The locals in their scarfs and wollen hats and thick winter clothes would look at us as if calculating if they should run away from those clearly mad people :D

I'm giggling at this because this is the same scenario as Canadians (snowbirds) in Florida in February. It's not cold, it's 18 with a high forecast of 25.   ;-)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1792 on: November 17, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »

I'm giggling at this because this is the same scenario as Canadians (snowbirds) in Florida in February. It's not cold, it's 18 with a high forecast of 25.   ;-)

I feel the same when I look at asian visitors from very warm countries who are wearing coats and scarves on the hottest summer day in South Island NZ!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1793 on: November 18, 2019, 01:38:16 AM »
I feel sorry for my coworker. Not so long ago he bought a new, fancy pellets oven for a lot of money. Now it turns out the oven doesn't work as well as he expected and he wants to sell it on the second hand market, where you usually can't get more than 60% or the new price.

Last year he bought a (second hand) car, not knowing what Norwegian winters are like, and bought one that didn't have 4x4 or spike tires. Now he has bought a replacement second hand car. Every time you buy a car, you pay a fee (600$ or so) to get a car registered in your name.

It seems to me that he made some unfortunate choices that cost him money now.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1794 on: November 18, 2019, 05:32:35 AM »
It's bonus week and the leave/earnings statements went out Friday.  It seems that many people don't realize that supplemental wages are withheld at a higher rate.  There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth about taxes on this bonus being withheld at ~34%.  This has been the case for each of the last 10 years, so why it would be different this year, I don't know.  And I imagine that by February many will have forgotten about it and won't realize they're getting it back in the form of a tax refund.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:05:00 AM by Sugaree »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1795 on: November 18, 2019, 05:48:13 AM »

We get those kinds of "crazy Northern" tourists here in Italy too.  In the wintertime, the locals are wearing puffer jackets, scarves, even hats, boots etc.  The tourists are wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals with no jacket. 

The inverse is also true though.  A LOT of Northern Europeans (being an American expat here I have no horse in this race) seem completely clueless about how to dress in summer.  They seem to think that showing as much of their (neon white) skin as possible is the way to go even during the middle of the day in July and August.  I see so many lobster colored shoulders, faces, necks and chests on northern European tourists in summer.  It looks miserable and I wonder about skin cancer rates up there in Northern climes.  In 'mother goose' mode I've told some Northern European visitors about the wonders of covering your shoulders, neck and arms and wearing a sun hat during the day when it's hot out but they tend not to listen.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1796 on: November 18, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

Yep!

Forgot to mention that the address of the building was not in the elevator.   The certificate frame had a paper in it that said "Certificate on file in office."  I went back and wrote the address on the inside of the door to the phone.

I always see those elevator signs that assure me that the certificate is on file somewhere else, and I think, "Yeah, sure it is..."

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1797 on: November 18, 2019, 07:42:23 AM »
It's bonus week and the leave/earnings statements went out Friday.  It seems that many people don't realize that supplemental wages are withheld at a higher rate.  There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth about taxes on this bonus being withheld at ~34%.  This has been the case for each of the last 10 years, so why it would be different this year, I don't know.  And I imagine that by February many will have forgotten about it and won't realize they're getting it back in the form of a tax refund.

The sad thing is that all that drama is totally unnecessary!

If the bonus was coded as a one-time payment rather than a recurring one and the payroll software was coded correctly, it would correctly estimate the annual income and only withhold the correct amount.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1798 on: November 18, 2019, 08:01:19 AM »

If the bonus was coded as a one-time payment rather than a recurring one and the payroll software was coded correctly, it would correctly estimate the annual income and only withhold the correct amount.

I thought that was an IRS thing?  The two options from Pub 15 are to tax it at a flat 22% or to roll it into the taxable amount of the paycheck that it's paid with, which for most of us would push at least part of it into the 24% bucket.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1799 on: November 18, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »

I thought that was an IRS thing?  The two options from Pub 15 are to tax it at a flat 22% or to roll it into the taxable amount of the paycheck that it's paid with, which for most of us would push at least part of it into the 24% bucket.

Let's say I get paid $1000 weekly.  So, on week 1, I earn $1000.  The payroll software needs to calculate $1000 * 52 weeks / year, for an annual income of $52,000.   It then looks up the income tax on $52,000 and divides that by 52 weeks to calculate how much income tax to withhold.   This is very straightforward.

Now, let's add a $5000 bonus in week 50 and not tell the software it's a one-time payment.  In addition, let's be lazy programmers.    So, we take ($1000 wages + $5000 bonus) * 52 = $312,000 annual income.  So, we look up the tax owed for that much income (which is in a much higher tax bracket) and divide by 52, and take out the calculated amount.

That's why the bonus money is withheld at such a high rate. 

Now, let's tell the software it's a one time bonus and assume the programmers did a better job.  We'll take $1000 wages * 52 weeks/per year = $52,000 + $5000 bonus for a $57,000 annual income.  Look up the tax on that and then divide by 52 to get the withholding amount.   The bonus won't be withheld at the $312,000 income rate so more of it will go home right away (and the tax refund will be smaller).

The above is still lazy programming, though.   The reality is our payroll system should know how much we've paid the person for the year so far, so it should only be estimating based on the rest of the year.   So, to calculate our annual income, we would look up how much the person has already been paid, add in what we're paying them this time, and then estimate the recurring payments for the rest of the year.    That way, our estimate gets progressively better each pay period as the year goes on.   
Plus, if someone has an uneven income, although the initial high income paycheck will be withheld at a high rate, the lower paychecks after it would be withheld at a lower rate to compensate.   So the person would get more of their income earlier instead of having to wait for a refund.   

Downside is if you changed jobs half-way thru the year, the 2nd job would be under-withholding for the remainder of the year, because it wouldn't know about the prior job's income.