Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112806 times)

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1700 on: October 19, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
I'm new to Mustachianism, but today I remembered something that used to happen all the time at an old workplace of mine, which was on the 9th floor of a building.

Quite frequently, the elevators were out of order. So on those mornings, someone would send an email around the entire office saying "Forget Leg Day! Elevators not working!" I had to ask what this meant - they explained that they were telling people who usually go to the gym to work out before work that they could skip the gym for today and walk up the stairs instead.

Because you can't just do that every damn day????

(I thought it was funny at the time, but now I'm a Mustachian, I see just how crazy that is!)

With gymbros, my understanding is "leg day" means you are basically a cripple for the rest of the day because you went so hard that you are sore as hell.   In that case, taking the stairs up might be quite painful and you might want to skip leg day.

I work in a 20 story building and as soon as the weather gets cold I do the stairs from the lobby to 20 twice a day for the exercise. It kills me to see my coworkers take the elevator to go up 1 story but then talk about their gym workout.

Um... I find stairs really difficult with bad knees - multiple dislocations. I use the elevator. I still go to the gym.....

Bad knees and stairs, oh my.  When I moved to an apartment one requirement was to be no more than 6 floors up.  I can evacuate on my own in case of an emergency.  Higher than that and I would be waiting for emergency personnel.

My real issue is that the woman who constantly does this spend a small fortune at the rock climbing gym to get her exercise.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1701 on: October 21, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
A minimalist-clean-freak-yet-consumerist friend of mine has told me that he wants his next car (he leases) to be a $70,000 pickup truck.  He works in an office all day, no calluses on his hands.  He wants the pickup because he can "throw the kids' dirty sports things in the back in the covered bed and not stink up the SUV after a game."  He has one child, age 3, no sports teams.

A carrier rack cargo top is out of the question?

1. toss is in the hatchback like the rest of us.
2. little kids' equipment doesn't stink too bad until they hit puberty so this guy will have used up his truck (and likely one more, given his non-MMM), before needing to keep any stink out.

Black plastic trash bag $0.30 vs $70,000. If you reuse the bag $0.15, $0.10 if you use it 3 times.

A trailer hitch cargo platform is a great way to haul dirty things for $150. Cheaper than a different vehicle or a trailer. Easier to park too. Waterproof bags are available too. We've vacationed that way when the car wasn't big enough. Rooftop box had more appeal but was more $$$.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1702 on: October 21, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
A minimalist-clean-freak-yet-consumerist friend of mine has told me that he wants his next car (he leases) to be a $70,000 pickup truck.  He works in an office all day, no calluses on his hands.  He wants the pickup because he can "throw the kids' dirty sports things in the back in the covered bed and not stink up the SUV after a game."  He has one child, age 3, no sports teams.

2. little kids' equipment doesn't stink too bad until they hit puberty so this guy will have used up his truck (and likely one more, given his non-MMM), before needing to keep any stink out.

Black plastic trash bag $0.30 vs $70,000. If you reuse the bag $0.15, $0.10 if you use it 3 times.

A trailer hitch cargo platform is a great way to haul dirty things for $150. Cheaper than a different vehicle or a trailer. Easier to park too. Waterproof bags are available too. We've vacationed that way when the car wasn't big enough. Rooftop box had more appeal but was more $$$.

Yes, but this doesn't actually address the issue.  He wants the $70,000 pickup.  Everything else is a false justification to post-rationalise the fact that he wants the $70,000 pickup.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1703 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:55 PM »
Was discussing kids with a coworker.  He said he and his wife give their 15 year old son $50 a week for lunch.  This is a good lesson for him because he has to keep it at $10 a day or less.  This is $200 a month on lunches....which doesn't include weekend lunches...for one child.  They will do the same for their daughter when she enters high school next year.  This same gentleman has not put any money in his 401(k) for years (3% match) because he can't bear to see the size of his take home pay reduced.  This man and his wife make close to $200k a year.
Good grief, what is this kid buying for lunch? At my kid’s elementary school breakfast at the cafeteria is $2 and lunch is $3.

15 yr old boy probably eats more than a little kid... but yeah. I'm going to pretend this kid also has a snack before and after practice, etc. He also goes out with his friends for lunch on occasion I'm guessing.  It COULD teach him a good budgetary lesson. My mom gave me a fixed amount "for lunch" (I think it was $20/week) and if I made a PB&J and ate that instead, I could pocket the money. Or I could buy school lunch, or I could go out with friends. The 3% match throw away is way more horrific than the amount spent on lunch (maybe).

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1704 on: October 22, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »
Was discussing kids with a coworker.  He said he and his wife give their 15 year old son $50 a week for lunch.  This is a good lesson for him because he has to keep it at $10 a day or less.  This is $200 a month on lunches....which doesn't include weekend lunches...for one child.  They will do the same for their daughter when she enters high school next year.  This same gentleman has not put any money in his 401(k) for years (3% match) because he can't bear to see the size of his take home pay reduced.  This man and his wife make close to $200k a year.
Good grief, what is this kid buying for lunch? At my kid’s elementary school breakfast at the cafeteria is $2 and lunch is $3.

15 yr old boy probably eats more than a little kid... but yeah. I'm going to pretend this kid also has a snack before and after practice, etc. He also goes out with his friends for lunch on occasion I'm guessing.  It COULD teach him a good budgetary lesson. My mom gave me a fixed amount "for lunch" (I think it was $20/week) and if I made a PB&J and ate that instead, I could pocket the money. Or I could buy school lunch, or I could go out with friends. The 3% match throw away is way more horrific than the amount spent on lunch (maybe).

My kids got $20 a week when they were in high school.  Lunch was $2.25, and I got tired of keeping enough singles and quarters around.  I had hoped they'd make a PB&J and keep the money, but they used the extra to buy cookies and soda. 

They also got their age in allowance - 1/2 in cash, 1/2 in the bank.  I made that an even $10 at some point due to the same singles issue.  So they got $30 a week.  This was 2003-2009.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1705 on: October 23, 2019, 05:57:59 AM »

My kids got $20 a week when they were in high school.  Lunch was $2.25, and I got tired of keeping enough singles and quarters around.  I had hoped they'd make a PB&J and keep the money, but they used the extra to buy cookies and soda. 

They also got their age in allowance - 1/2 in cash, 1/2 in the bank.  I made that an even $10 at some point due to the same singles issue.  So they got $30 a week.  This was 2003-2009.

Starting in 7th grade (the point where we transitioned from elementary to HS), mom started giving me $2/day instead of my having a lunch account.  I, of course, just stopped eating lunch for the most part and just tucked the money in my bag.  I walked around with a stack of $1s like a stripper for a whole semester before mom figured it out and started giving me either $5s or $10s each week instead.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1706 on: October 23, 2019, 06:28:41 AM »

We discussed the option at home, but think it is more vulnerable for theft, especially the option with the bag instead of a solid crate.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1707 on: October 24, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
We discussed the option at home, but think it is more vulnerable for theft, especially the option with the bag instead of a solid crate.

You just need to keep moving... ;)

We used it to drive into NYC. The contents of the bag were used clothes and a pillow. The platform was locked to the car.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1708 on: October 25, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
Talking to CW about finances, taxes and such...
CW who is 40 years old offhandedly mentions his household makes $130k annually and they spend well over their post-tax earnings.
CW then goes into how bad our 401k plan is, says he only contributes $70 a month with a $30 employer match.

Really wanted to ask him how he thinks he'll be able to retire and what kind of lifestyle he expects on those small contributions...Goes to show people really just don't even think about retirement at all, even the conventional "retire at 62 or 67" sense. 

Also wanted to mention that as a 25 year old my total 401k contributions are over $800 a month and see the look of confusion on his face.

God, that is so depressing.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1709 on: October 25, 2019, 06:56:05 AM »
Goes to show people really just don't even think about retirement at all, even the conventional "retire at 62 or 67" sense. 
Not true!   Many of them think about retirement at 62 or 67 all the time.

They just don't think about funding it until they apply for social security and discover that's not going to support their expenses.

My wife told me a story about a work colleague who was nearing retirement age and came back crying after meeting with their TIAA representative.    They had no idea they hadn't saved enough.

That's one reason why I tell people about this stuff.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1710 on: October 25, 2019, 08:03:28 AM »
Goes to show people really just don't even think about retirement at all, even the conventional "retire at 62 or 67" sense. 

They just don't think about funding it until they apply for social security and discover that's not going to support their expenses.

My wife told me a story about a work colleague who was nearing retirement age and came back crying after meeting with their TIAA representative.    They had no idea they hadn't saved enough.

Yeah, tell me about it. Dad wants to retire. Fair, he's 67. But he's also probably going to sit in a chair and do nothing and die within 6 months. Mom's also not eligible for Medicare yet. But once they do retire, they are going to have a very rude shock. I've tried to get them to reduce expenses, but right now they're not willing to. They are not going to be happy when they realize that they will be able to afford restaurants OR cigarettes OR medical. Pick one.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1711 on: October 25, 2019, 08:42:16 PM »
Overheard on a work forum recently...

A: Hey, is anyone selling a ghost costume? My three year old insists on being a ghost, and I’ve already bought him a skeleton one! Will pay up to $20 for a ghost costume! Please help!
B: Get an old bedsheet and cut two holes in it (eyes). You may need to also shorten it a bit.
A: That’s my back up plan, but I’d really like to get him a real costume.

I have half a mind to cut two holes in my old white bedsheet and offer to sell it to them for $20. Just last month, I tried to give it away for free on the work forum and there were no takers.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #1712 on: October 25, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »

A: Hey, is anyone selling a ghost costume? My three year old insists on being a ghost, and I’ve already bought him a skeleton one! Will pay up to $20 for a ghost costume! Please help!
B: Get an old bedsheet and cut two holes in it (eyes). You may need to also shorten it a bit.

I have half a mind to cut two holes in my old white bedsheet and offer to sell it to them for $20. Just last month, I tried to give it away for free on the work forum and there were no takers.

DO IT!! And please update us.

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1713 on: October 26, 2019, 05:51:01 PM »

Yeah, tell me about it. Dad wants to retire. Fair, he's 67. But he's also probably going to sit in a chair and do nothing and die within 6 months. Mom's also not eligible for Medicare yet. But once they do retire, they are going to have a very rude shock. I've tried to get them to reduce expenses, but right now they're not willing to. They are not going to be happy when they realize that they will be able to afford restaurants OR cigarettes OR medical. Pick one.
Aunt and uncle are facing this. They were told that if they cut expenses and lived on 2/3 of what they had been spending their nest egg+social security might last them 13 years. Uncle and dad are partners on the farm, so I anticipate (because they haven’t cut expenses and auntie seems to be spending more if possible because she has more time on her hands) the sale of said farmland within the next 12 years. That’ll be fine since mom wants dad to retire when he’s 65(3 more years) so they can retire together. Mom and dad have a nice nest egg, though mom is hard to convince of this. (350k in retirement funds, and a house they’ll want to downsize from estimateed to be worth 400-500k). They’d buy in a lower cost of living area probably something in the 200k range after the farmland and house sold. I tell her all the time she lives on way less than 4% of that now, but she doesn’t believe me. She also plans to continue maxing out her 401k for the next 3 years.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1714 on: October 28, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »

That reminds me of the year before my son turned three.  I knew it was going to be the last year before he had an opinion on the matter and I had spent MONTHS scouring the thrift stores to find all the pieces to make his costume.  Three days before Halloween he tells me that he wants to be a pumpkin.  So, I made a deal with him that he could be a pumpkin during the day for the daycare party, but he was going to wear the one I made for trick or treating.  You'd think that finding a pumpkin costume for a toddler wouldn't be that difficult, right?  I couldn't find one anywhere.  Finally, on the afternoon of the 30th I stopped by this weird little shop that always has an assortment of stuff that "fell off the truck" and found a $5 pumpkin costume.  For dogs.  It turns out that a costume made for a large dog will fit a toddler almost perfectly.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1715 on: October 28, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »

That reminds me of the year before my son turned three.  I knew it was going to be the last year before he had an opinion on the matter and I had spent MONTHS scouring the thrift stores to find all the pieces to make his costume.  Three days before Halloween he tells me that he wants to be a pumpkin.  So, I made a deal with him that he could be a pumpkin during the day for the daycare party, but he was going to wear the one I made for trick or treating.  You'd think that finding a pumpkin costume for a toddler wouldn't be that difficult, right?  I couldn't find one anywhere.  Finally, on the afternoon of the 30th I stopped by this weird little shop that always has an assortment of stuff that "fell off the truck" and found a $5 pumpkin costume.  For dogs.  It turns out that a costume made for a large dog will fit a toddler almost perfectly.

Hahaha that's awesome! 

CrabboStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1716 on: October 31, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »
At work today:

CW - Hey, what area did you grow up in?
ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
CW - Well, we are looking to buy a home and are open to considering areas that aren't as local.
ME - Oh, neat.
CW - Yeah, it sounds crazy - but I am buying a house with 4 different relatives. Nobody ever believes me when I say that. But we will save so much money if we are all splitting the mortgage/utilities!
ME - (actually thinking I was about to have a worthwhile conversation) Oh, hey, that's awesome. Especially if you have that strong of a relationship with your family.
CW - Yeah, it's just hard. I mean, we are going to have to have a HUGE house to fit us all. At least 6 bedrooms, ya know? Probably more though.

I still really like the sentiment behind it all, but looking for a minimum of 6 bedroom house for a household of 5 just made me laugh on the inside. If the objective was truly saving money...there is a lot of money left on the table there.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1717 on: November 01, 2019, 05:21:31 AM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
CW - Well, we are looking to buy a home and are open to considering areas that aren't as local.
ME - Oh, neat.
CW - Yeah, it sounds crazy - but I am buying a house with 4 different relatives. Nobody ever believes me when I say that. But we will save so much money if we are all splitting the mortgage/utilities!
ME - (actually thinking I was about to have a worthwhile conversation) Oh, hey, that's awesome. Especially if you have that strong of a relationship with your family.
CW - Yeah, it's just hard. I mean, we are going to have to have a HUGE house to fit us all. At least 6 bedrooms, ya know? Probably more though.

I still really like the sentiment behind it all, but looking for a minimum of 6 bedroom house for a household of 5 just made me laugh on the inside. If the objective was truly saving money...there is a lot of money left on the table there.

I think it's good. Each one has a room and one more for guests. It is not to the liking of everyone to sleep with someone else in the same room, especially if there are noise problems ;) And everyone should have a space just for himself. That may not be such big a thing for extroverts, but for people like me...

But you save (theoretically) a lot on the rest. Of course a house with so many rooms may only be available as a McMansion, which would not save you money.

politenessman

• Stubble
  • http://techtofi.com/
    • Blogging our progress from disaster to FI
« Reply #1718 on: November 01, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »

I work in a 5 man IT team - 3 of us are working on FIRE. I'm older (54) and realized I had left it too late to RE - I was raised on the 'work until you are 65 and retire with a pension' plan. Took me until my early 50s to figure FIRE out. Since figuring it out and seeing start to work, I've been preaching it to my early 30s co-workers though. They were both amazed when I showed them the math and that both of them could FIRE at about 45.
Showing them this and seeing them get it makes me very happy.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1719 on: November 01, 2019, 09:21:25 PM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

I think it's good. Each one has a room and one more for guests. It is not to the liking of everyone to sleep with someone else in the same room, especially if there are noise problems ;) And everyone should have a space just for himself. That may not be such big a thing for extroverts, but for people like me...

But you save (theoretically) a lot on the rest. Of course a house with so many rooms may only be available as a McMansion, which would not save you money.

I think it's a recipe for disaster.  It might appear to make sense now, but circumstances change. 

Are these five people single?  Expecting to stay single forever?  What happens when one of them enters into a long-term relationship?  How does that factor into the plan? 

What happens if one party doesn't meet their ongoing financial obligations re mortgage or utilities? 

Who gets the "best" bedroom and who gets the "dud" room? 

What happens if someone "needs" their equity and wants to sell and the rest don't? 

What if someone decides to move out?  Do they organise a roommate to cover their mortgage expense?  Do YOU organise one?  What if you disagree?

I suspect this kind of thing CAN work, but I reckon the likelihood of it not working must be pretty high...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1720 on: November 02, 2019, 02:42:32 AM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

I think it's a recipe for disaster.  It might appear to make sense now, but circumstances change. 

Are these five people single?  Expecting to stay single forever?  What happens when one of them enters into a long-term relationship?  How does that factor into the plan? 

What happens if one party doesn't meet their ongoing financial obligations re mortgage or utilities? 

What happens if someone "needs" their equity and wants to sell and the rest don't? 

What if someone decides to move out?  Do they organise a roommate to cover their mortgage expense?  Do YOU organise one?  What if you disagree?

I suspect this kind of thing CAN work, but I reckon the likelihood of it not working must be pretty high...

There was an Australian TV show about a group of friends doing this

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1721 on: November 02, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

But what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real?

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1722 on: November 04, 2019, 08:33:34 AM »
At work today:

ME - Oh, XYZ area. Why?
ME - Oh, neat.

Same as any small business venture. Write it up in the charter with the help of a lawyer.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1723 on: November 04, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »

But what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real?

I see what you did there.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #1724 on: November 04, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »
I'm new to Mustachianism, but today I remembered something that used to happen all the time at an old workplace of mine, which was on the 9th floor of a building.

Quite frequently, the elevators were out of order. So on those mornings, someone would send an email around the entire office saying "Forget Leg Day! Elevators not working!" I had to ask what this meant - they explained that they were telling people who usually go to the gym to work out before work that they could skip the gym for today and walk up the stairs instead.

(I thought it was funny at the time, but now I'm a Mustachian, I see just how crazy that is!)

This reminds me of my workplace, where my problem is that I cannot reach the 3rd floor (where my office is) from the lobby via the stairs.  They refuse to allow entrance, only exit, via the 3rd floor stairway door.  I have asked that they install a key card reader (we all have them!) to allow entrance only via key card, and they refuse.  I would LOVE to be able to walk up my 3 flights of stairs each day, but alas, I may not.  So I must take the elevator.  So silly.

This! I am currently starting to bike my commute. The parking garage is underground, so I go through a no pedestrians door, park, and am forced to take an elevator to the street level (NEXT TO the emergency ALARMED stairs) I then walk across the street to my building, where I can take the stairs multiple stories up. I don't understand, and that elevator is slow, dingy, and scary (in terms of wondering when it will get stuck). Strange decisions.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1725 on: November 04, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »

This reminds me of my workplace, where my problem is that I cannot reach the 3rd floor (where my office is) from the lobby via the stairs.  They refuse to allow entrance, only exit, via the 3rd floor stairway door.  I have asked that they install a key card reader (we all have them!) to allow entrance only via key card, and they refuse.  I would LOVE to be able to walk up my 3 flights of stairs each day, but alas, I may not.  So I must take the elevator.  So silly.

This! I am currently starting to bike my commute. The parking garage is underground, so I go through a no pedestrians door, park, and am forced to take an elevator to the street level (NEXT TO the emergency ALARMED stairs) I then walk across the street to my building, where I can take the stairs multiple stories up. I don't understand, and that elevator is slow, dingy, and scary (in terms of wondering when it will get stuck). Strange decisions.

Do some jumping jacks or burpees on the elevator

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #1726 on: November 04, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
Haha... no :) (It doesn't take very long, and as old as that elevator appears to be... I don't want to give any additional active loading to it!)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1727 on: November 05, 2019, 12:21:50 AM »
Haha... no :) (It doesn't take very long, and as old as that elevator appears to be... I don't want to give any additional active loading to it!)

I have heard from a few people who have been stuck in elevators at work. Usually they get i touch with a person when they use the alarm function. But it can still take some hours to fix the elevator and get them out. Better bring along some food, drink and an empty bottle on the ride, just in case. Luckily I only have 2 staircases at work and I can walk them.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1728 on: November 05, 2019, 05:38:22 AM »

I have heard from a few people who have been stuck in elevators at work. Usually they get i touch with a person when they use the alarm function. But it can still take some hours to fix the elevator and get them out. Better bring along some food, drink and an empty bottle on the ride, just in case. Luckily I only have 2 staircases at work and I can walk them.

Years ago, I started a new job at a new client in a new city I had to commute to and from every weekend.   I got dropped off at the client location and was introduced, then my customer contact left for the day.  I popped into the elevator to go down to the cafeteria on the first floor.   The elevator went straight to the basement and stopped working.   The doors wouldn't open.   No one heard me yell.   I found a small door panel on the elevator wall down at ankle level.   It had a old style phone headset in a fixed cradle with a very short cable.  So I bent over very awkwardly, picked it up and said "Hello?  I'm stuck in the elevator."

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"I'm in the elevator stuck in the basement."

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

"What address are you at?"

"You mean you're not in the building?"

"No, we're a national service bureau."

At this point I start to panic because I don't know where I am and they don't either.   I know the name of my client's company, but it's not their building.  I'm just in a building in the DC metro area.

"Oh,  let me give you the phone number of someone who does knows where I am."

I was in that elevator for just under an hour.

Now I always make sure I don't have the slightest urge to pee before I get in an elevator because that last 15 minutes was uncomfy.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1729 on: November 05, 2019, 06:09:10 AM »

Years ago, I started a new job at a new client in a new city I had to commute to and from every weekend.   I got dropped off at the client location and was introduced, then my customer contact left for the day.  I popped into the elevator to go down to the cafeteria on the first floor.   The elevator went straight to the basement and stopped working.   The doors wouldn't open.   No one heard me yell.   I found a small door panel on the elevator wall down at ankle level.   It had a old style phone headset in a fixed cradle with a very short cable.  So I bent over very awkwardly, picked it up and said "Hello?  I'm stuck in the elevator."

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

At this point I start to panic because I don't know where I am and they don't either.   I know the name of my client's company, but it's not their building.  I'm just in a building in the DC metro area.

Now I always make sure I don't have the slightest urge to pee before I get in an elevator because that last 15 minutes was uncomfy.

You have to establish the pee corner early.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1730 on: November 05, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

Yep!

Forgot to mention that the address of the building was not in the elevator.   The certificate frame had a paper in it that said "Certificate on file in office."  I went back and wrote the address on the inside of the door to the phone.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1731 on: November 05, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
That's a genuine fear of mine. I could get the urge to visit the loo, hop on the elevator b/c it is more comfortable than the stairs and then get stuck in the elevator for an hour.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1732 on: November 05, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »

"Ok.  Where are you?"

"No, where are you?"

"Huh?"

That was what the empty bottle was meant for...

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1733 on: November 05, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »

from the Office

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1734 on: November 06, 2019, 03:43:34 PM »
Just had such an insane conversations with my coworkers that my head may explode. During this conversation I was basically told I'm lucky for choosing not to have kids yet, because there's absolutely NO WAY you can max out retirement accounts on $120k household income AND pay for 2 kids. One even said to plan on spending half your income on your kids.... this is also the same person who makes $105k/yr, is eligible to retire today and pull in a pension of $43k/yr, but that he'd need to get another job to get back to $100k because they can't possibly lower they're standard of living to $43k. We make less than them, save more, and still live much too lavishly!

I just don't get it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1735 on: November 06, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
Just had such an insane conversations with my coworkers that my head may explode. During this conversation I was basically told I'm lucky for choosing not to have kids yet, because there's absolutely NO WAY you can max out retirement accounts on $120k household income AND pay for 2 kids. One even said to plan on spending half your income on your kids.... this is also the same person who makes $105k/yr, is eligible to retire today and pull in a pension of $43k/yr, but that he'd need to get another job to get back to $100k because they can't possibly lower they're standard of living to $43k. We make less than them, save more, and still live much too lavishly!

I just don't get it.

I think the correct response to that would be, while smiling sweetly, "Well, maybe when everyone in your household grows up it will be easier to save money."     

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1736 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:51 PM »
I think the correct response to that would be, while smiling sweetly, "Well, maybe when everyone in your household grows up it will be easier to save money."   
That reply is so British! lol

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1737 on: November 07, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
M5, I'm living that exact scenario, as that's basically my household income and I have two kids. What a blow to find out my whole life is made up!

Although, if you're in a hetero relationship, probably some amount of luck is in play for not getting pregnant, so on some level it's a fair statement. Not the way this dude actually means, though.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #1738 on: November 07, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
M5, I'm living that exact scenario, as that's basically my household income and I have two kids. What a blow to find out my whole life is made up!

Although, if you're in a hetero relationship, probably some amount of luck is in play for not getting pregnant, so on some level it's a fair statement. Not the way this dude actually means, though.

Haha, quite true. He later said he tracks all their spending except groceries. And he wants to continue turning a blind eye to it. Ding ding, I think we found a major source of the hemorrhaging!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1739 on: November 08, 2019, 06:51:31 AM »
Haha, quite true. He later said he tracks all their spending except groceries. And he wants to continue turning a blind eye to it. Ding ding, I think we found a major source of the hemorrhaging!

Maybe this is an unfair generalization, but when I hear stuff along the lines of "I want my spouse to do [gender-normative chore] differently!" (in this case grocery shopping), I always imagine the conversation goes "Honey, you should change the way you do ['gender-normative chore]." "No, I like it my way, but if you want it different you could do it." "No, I can't do that! [Gender-normative chore] is for [other gender]!"

And then they still complain about it.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1740 on: November 08, 2019, 07:05:58 AM »

Maybe this is an unfair generalization, but when I hear stuff along the lines of "I want my spouse to do [gender-normative chore] differently!" (in this case grocery shopping), I always imagine the conversation goes "Honey, you should change the way you do ['gender-normative chore]." "No, I like it my way, but if you want it different you could do it." "No, I can't do that! [Gender-normative chore] is for [other gender]!"

And then they still complain about it.

Yeah. My husband both did the groceries and also did the vast majority of the meals. I had no complaints about his cooking (me and the kids enjoyed his meals) and his general shopping, but I didn't understand why we were spending so much (around 1K a month, not including going out to eat). I ended up having him save the receipts for a couple months. While there was some food waste (buying too much food, leftovers, produce being thrown out before being eaten) I think about 20-25% of our food costs were going to booze alone. No idea how much spent at the bar because he used his cash for that.

I've been stuck in an elevator twice. the first time it was in a hospital, but when I used the phone to call someone it was the same situation, where while I was in Durham the person who was going to respond to the call was in Raleigh (someone from another city had to come to respond). It wasn't too bad, around 45-50 minutes other than the other person in the elevator having a panic attack and saying things like we are going to die.

The 2nd time, another hospital (Va). We got stuck between floors. There was more of an immediate response, but they couldn't figure out how to raise/lower the elevator safely. There was at least 5 people in the elevator and we basically had to climb out with people on the other side puling us out. It was scary because I kept imagining what if the elevator dropped when I was climbing out and I got cut in half.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:10:44 AM by partgypsy »

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1741 on: November 08, 2019, 08:35:34 AM »

I've been stuck in an elevator twice. the first time it was in a hospital, but when I used the phone to call someone it was the same situation, where while I was in Durham the person who was going to respond to the call was in Raleigh (someone from another city had to come to respond). It wasn't too bad, around 45-50 minutes other than the other person in the elevator having a panic attack and saying things like we are going to die.

You should have told them "as long as you die first, I'll have a fresh food supply" just for the entertainment value.   

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1742 on: November 08, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »

You should have told them "as long as you die first, I'll have a fresh food supply" just for the entertainment value.   

I have an stuck in elevator story.

I was working late and left after most of the building was empty. The elevator broke between floors, after a few minutes of pushing buttons I heard a voice on the call box.

Support Operator "Hello how can I help you?"
Me "The elevator broke can you help me get out of here"
Support Operator "Sure no problem, where are you?
Me "Elevator # 2 between 4th and 5th floor"
Support Operator "No I mean which city are you in and building address?"
Me "Oh ok I guess this is going to take a while."

I give the building address and she says she has to hang up and phone some other service number and will call me back. After about 30 minutes she calls me back and says the building operators have left for the day and I will have to wait until they are able to drive back to the office. She was able to call the building security who did end up talking through the door to me.  No big deal for me, as I am not claustrophobic and other than being hungry from working late without eating dinner I was fine. A hour or two later, finally the elevator begins to move. It travels all the way up to the top floor and the doors open. I jump out and take the stairs all the way down to the ground floor.  As I am heading out the building there are two security guards looking into an empty elevator looking confused talking on their radios saying.  "The elevator is here on the main floor but nobody is in it!" I was almost out the door and then turned back to tell them it was me they were looking for. They were shocked how did I get out, and wondered why I was not stressed out.   I take the stairs a lot more often now!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1743 on: November 08, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
The best part of that story is that I'm picturing it happening to Dilbert.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1744 on: November 08, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »

Yes, stairs are great. I only take the elevator when I have a trolley or when injured, or like most stories above, when in an unknown building where I'm not familiar with the staircases.

I have an stuck in elevator story.

I was working late and left after most of the building was empty. The elevator broke between floors, after a few minutes of pushing buttons I heard a voice on the call box.

Support Operator "Hello how can I help you?"
Me "The elevator broke can you help me get out of here"
Support Operator "Sure no problem, where are you?
Me "Elevator # 2 between 4th and 5th floor"
Support Operator "No I mean which city are you in and building address?"
Me "Oh ok I guess this is going to take a while."

I give the building address and she says she has to hang up and phone some other service number and will call me back. After about 30 minutes she calls me back and says the building operators have left for the day and I will have to wait until they are able to drive back to the office. She was able to call the building security who did end up talking through the door to me.  No big deal for me, as I am not claustrophobic and other than being hungry from working late without eating dinner I was fine. A hour or two later, finally the elevator begins to move. It travels all the way up to the top floor and the doors open. I jump out and take the stairs all the way down to the ground floor.  As I am heading out the building there are two security guards looking into an empty elevator looking confused talking on their radios saying.  "The elevator is here on the main floor but nobody is in it!" I was almost out the door and then turned back to tell them it was me they were looking for. They were shocked how did I get out, and wondered why I was not stressed out.   I take the stairs a lot more often now!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1745 on: November 09, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »

Set it up as a corporation with shares doled out based on initial investment toward down payment and an operating fund. Corporation owns the house. Figure out a system for valuing bedrooms  based on desirability (ie, take monthly expenses as rent paid to the corporation and assign 25% of costs to the "best" bedroom, 20% to the 3 equivalent bedrooms and 15% for the "dud". If there's still competition for the "best" bedroom, keep upping the percentage until only one person wants it. Same with the "dud" - but downward.

Selecting a room-mate to replace a departed family member would be majority vote based on shares.

Someone not meeting obligations would be evicted.

Someone "needing" their equity would have the option to sell shares in the corporation.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1746 on: November 09, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »
Yeah! Why the need to talk with each other of you can just share-vote O.o

Sorry TomTX, you either have not read the part where they are close to each other, or you have no idea about psychology. If you do it your way - if those 5 are not of the rare sort you might be of - this is doomed to fail.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1747 on: November 11, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »

I just don't get it.

At DH's work party, I'm chatting with the wives of two of DH's colleagues. Wife A is a hotshot lawyer, making a hefty 6 figures; wife B and I are both SAHMs. Our husbands are all roughly the same level/pay grade. Wife A says off handedly, in connection with something else, "...because it's impossible to live in this area on one income." Wife B and I just looked at each other.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1748 on: November 11, 2019, 09:42:37 PM »
I was stuck in a elevator at work with a crazy person. We were having a meeting with a accreditation board and whether we passed or not was totally my responsibility after only working there for a year. I was late of course but they were understanding.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1749 on: November 14, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
I'm in the break room waiting in line to heat up my lunch.
Gov civilian likes to wear his pants couple of inches above his ankles, without socks, comes in.
I look down at his feet, then make eye contact. I know the guy somewhat, so I ask how that sockless ankle-show feels since we had a cold front that day, temps dropping 15-20F.
He says it feels good, he likes to wear his pants "European style". Then proceeds to state his footwear costs more than my "outfit". (I'm wearing a dress shirt, khakhis, shoes - normal office wear.)
I reply saying maybe he should upgrade his clothing to match his shoes. Meanwhile others in breakroom who overheard are giving him the eyeroll and weird faces behind his back.
One of the folks, who knows I'm gunning for FIRE (wife and I are close to FI but we love our jobs and employers and chill work/life balance) mentions when Mr-exposed-ankles and others are gone "you should have told him that you own a bunch of rentals." I said it wasn't worth it, we know we're dealing with a bonafide idiot, we don't need to re-prove a fact given that we have sufficient evidence.
Gov civilian has kid with ex, lives with GF and her kids, has issues saving, always well-dressed in the latest fashion. I'm only angry that my taxpayer funds support this numbnut who doesn't do anything technical but aspires to manage teams of technical contractors.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:41:20 AM by jinga nation »