Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112803 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1600 on: October 07, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
Tales from the federal contracting workplace:

1. A few weeks ago, I was talking with GovtGuy1 about cars and exercise. In a response to one of his questions, I mentioned I purchased my wife a 2019 Honda Insight (bought new, cash, as we keep our cars until they die).
Last Friday, in the breakroom, GovtGuy2, who must have overheard the chat with Guy1, asked if my wife liked her car, and how much was the monthly payment.
Me: the wife loves it, and there's no payments.
Guy2: what? how?
Me: Bought in cash
Guy2: Oh, you contractors make a lot of money
Me: We didn't have car payments for 13 years. (And in my head: yes, we get paid well because we do the actual technical work, that you guys can't learn and apply.)
Guy2: walks away... from the water/ice dispenser

2. Went for lunch with a high-ranking govt guy (GovtGuy3),another contractor (C1), and my co-worker (CW, fellow saver, investor, etc). GovtGuy3 talks about how he bought his wife a uber luxury SUV, she didn't drive it much as it was too big, so he bought her a smaller, imported luxury SUV. I was wondering how much he paid, when he mentioned the actual price and the payments. CW and I gave each other that look of "Oh... duh!" Guy3 frequently takes short-term overseas assignments to get the extra money to blow on "luxuries".
Then C1 talks about buying a top-of-the line, fully-loaded Toyota Highlander for his wife. He says he has 4 kids, he wanted a boy, so they got "lucky" on the 4th. CW and I look at each other, later on talk about the college-funding C1 will be doing, unless his kids join Uncle Sam's Military.

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #1601 on: October 07, 2019, 08:44:48 AM »
Office mate at work traded her car in for the exact same model, just another year.  No reason other than the dealership offered it to her and she thought it was a good deal.  It didn't cost her anything out of pocket and her payment stayed exactly the same. 

I pointed out that she in essence just rented her last car for the past year.  She didn't see why that was a bad thing.  She felt it was totally normal and okay to always have a car payment.  With that in mind, I didn't see any way to talk her out of doing this again next year.

I've heard similar talk from a few coworkers before. One thing that seems to come out is that while their payments stayed the same the duration of the loan is much longer. Super frustrating as they act like they received a free upgrade not recognizing that the longer loan equals more money spent...

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1602 on: October 07, 2019, 09:04:59 AM »
Office mate at work traded her car in for the exact same model, just another year.  No reason other than the dealership offered it to her and she thought it was a good deal.  It didn't cost her anything out of pocket and her payment stayed exactly the same. 

I pointed out that she in essence just rented her last car for the past year.  She didn't see why that was a bad thing.  She felt it was totally normal and okay to always have a car payment.  With that in mind, I didn't see any way to talk her out of doing this again next year.

I've heard similar talk from a few coworkers before. One thing that seems to come out is that while their payments stayed the same the duration of the loan is much longer. Super frustrating as they act like they received a free upgrade not recognizing that the longer loan equals more money spent...

The dealerships know this.  I bought a car in 2014.  Starting right at the 2 year mark, I'd get letters in the mail from the "sales manager" at the dealership I bought it from telling me that he has someone who desperately wants to buy my car.  No shit.  My car is awesome.  That's why I had your dealership have it shipped in for me.  But it's a form letter hoping to get people in to upgrade their cars.  Apparently, people actually fall for it.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1603 on: October 07, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »

The dealerships know this.  I bought a car in 2014.  Starting right at the 2 year mark, I'd get letters in the mail from the "sales manager" at the dealership I bought it from telling me that he has someone who desperately wants to buy my car.  No shit.  My car is awesome.  That's why I had your dealership have it shipped in for me.  But it's a form letter hoping to get people in to upgrade their cars.  Apparently, people actually fall for it.

We received the same starting at year 2.  Then they ramped it up by year 3 - we've been invited to several "special" buying events in the past few months

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1604 on: October 07, 2019, 09:39:31 AM »

We received the same starting at year 2.  Then they ramped it up by year 3 - we've been invited to several "special" buying events in the past few months

Same experience. It stops by year 7 though... apparently the perfectly reliable and well-maintained and efficient car isnt quite as valued/resaleable by that point.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1605 on: October 07, 2019, 09:54:53 AM »

Same experience. It stops by year 7 though... apparently the perfectly reliable and well-maintained and efficient car isnt quite as valued/resaleable by that point.

Having it totaled in a wreck is somewhat effective too. 

They weren't really pleased when I told them I wasn't interested in a new one and asked if they knew of any available that were just like mine.  I was more or less told that I was on my own finding that unicorn and to come back and talk to them if I changed my mind about a new one.  I now drive a vehicle so similar to the old one that most people don't realize it's not the same one.  Thanks Carmax.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1606 on: October 07, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »
This is why Apple introduces the iPhone purchase plan.  I know people who pay monthly and “get” the new iPhone when it comes out every year.  Act as if it’s a miracle from saint jobs
UHH.... the ecological and human footprint of that. It may be less than a car, but it feels even more hard. A phone every year. A phone. Every year.

[/quote]

I so wish there were the equivalent of the old "I get paid of you call me" phone contract for mail boxes.
Every time an ad flies in, you get 10 cents from them.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1607 on: October 07, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »

She definitely recognized that the payments would be extended another year, but it didn't seem to equate to more money.  [psst, she's a financial analyst!].  She seems okay with the idea of paying a set amount every single month for as long as she drives. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1608 on: October 07, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »

Exactly. In the beginning, we used to get a lot of commercials and letters about new cars. But now the car is 10 years old and I haven't seen them for some years.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1609 on: October 07, 2019, 12:30:17 PM »
UHH.... the ecological and human footprint of that. It may be less than a car, but it feels even more hard. A phone every year. A phone. Every year.
Heh.  I bought my current car 16.5 years ago for $4500.  They're paying $1,000 per year for a new phone.  The ecological footprint of their phones may be smaller than my car, but the economic footprint is certainly larger!

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1610 on: October 07, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
In France I went once with a friend because it was the only place you could get a cup of coffee. Any cafe where you ordered a coffee would serve an espresso.
I thought the whole point of travelling was to experience how life is lived in other places.

Then again if one really wants filter coffees, most specialty coffee shops around the world seem to  offer both espresso-based drinks and pourover.
Sure. But when you live there for a year sometimes you just want a damn coffee like at home.
I use a French Press everyday - home & office.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1611 on: October 08, 2019, 12:07:14 AM »
Read on Intranet at work today:

"It is documented that going to our job is one of the most health increasing activities we do."

Many of us Mustachians experience that our jobs are in some aspects negative for our health and we want to stop working to lower stress levels.

But work probably provides a purpose and gives you something to do. It is our task to find more or less meaningful activities to fill our days with after FIRE.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1612 on: October 08, 2019, 01:53:17 AM »
Hahahhaha

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1613 on: October 08, 2019, 01:59:06 AM »

Exactly. In the beginning, we used to get a lot of commercials and letters about new cars. But now the car is 10 years old and I haven't seen them for some years.

Don’t worry, that’s about when they start calling you to warn you that your extended warranty is about to expire and offer you a great deal on an extension!

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1614 on: October 08, 2019, 03:20:59 AM »

"It is documented that going to our job is one of the most health increasing activities we do."

Many of us Mustachians experience that our jobs are in some aspects negative for our health and we want to stop working to lower stress levels.

But work probably provides a purpose and gives you something to do. It is our task to find more or less meaningful activities to fill our days with after FIRE.

Can't find the article again now, but there was a story some time ago that most people who quit working by their own free will return to the workforce within 6 months. Mainly due to it not being as great as imagined plut the realization that it's less fun to have time off while all friends/family/whatever is at work most of the day.

Along the same lines there was a story in NY Times I read where they found that unemployed people look forward to the weekend almost as much as people working - this was also due to a lot of fun happens on weekends when more people have time to do it.

So retiring early probably at least requires a fairly solid plan on how to do stuff that feels meaningful. Not just having time off. A friend of mine had 3 months "holiday" when he was between jobs and he degenerated into something close to a zombie just staying at home in his morning robe most of the time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1615 on: October 08, 2019, 04:00:05 AM »

Can't find the article again now, but there was a story some time ago that most people who quit working by their own free will return to the workforce within 6 months. Mainly due to it not being as great as imagined plut the realization that it's less fun to have time off while all friends/family/whatever is at work most of the day.

Along the same lines there was a story in NY Times I read where they found that unemployed people look forward to the weekend almost as much as people working - this was also due to a lot of fun happens on weekends when more people have time to do it.

So retiring early probably at least requires a fairly solid plan on how to do stuff that feels meaningful. Not just having time off. A friend of mine had 3 months "holiday" when he was between jobs and he degenerated into something close to a zombie just staying at home in his morning robe most of the time.

For me, it might depend on the weather. I love skiing, hiking and being outside. But in some times of the year, it is a bit more depressing to be outside. Then you need to have something to do: social life, events, indoor hobbies, or binge-watching TV shows.

We once took 3 months off during the summer. In that time we renovated the bathroom from scratch, including floor, walls and ceiling. That took 5 weeks in total. And we took lots of trips the rest of the time. My only concern there, was that we spent maybe a bit too much money on a trip to Italy. The rest was pretty cheap.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1616 on: October 08, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »

I've been getting these now - for our 2009 Civic.  Apparently they really want us to upgrade...except all the ads we get are for 2019-20 Civics.  When in reality, the only thing that would really tempt me is a minivan.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #1617 on: October 08, 2019, 03:28:48 PM »
Not at work but friends in a group text chat...A few months back, several texted about their generally "poor" financial status including one guy who I know makes much more than me. He went through a divorce recently and I thought that could be leading to some of his concerns.  Today, someone else suggested getting out of the market for a month or two while impeachment concerns swirl.   My divorced friend replied back that he pulled out of the stock market totally in November 2011 (Dow was 13K).  Afraid if he gets in now, it will crash again. 

I'm not sure how to reply.  Think I'm going with a safe platitude such as time in the market is better than timing the market.  I will probably see my friend in person in a month so may revisit then. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1618 on: October 08, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

I've been getting these now - for our 2009 Civic.  Apparently they really want us to upgrade...except all the ads we get are for 2019-20 Civics.  When in reality, the only thing that would really tempt me is a minivan.

About 3 months after I bought my Nissan Juke I started getting mailings about how I should probably consider upgrading to a brand new PATHFINDER!!  Because apparently my decision to get the smallest possible SUV 3 months ago is now totally irrelevant and I suddenly want to drive a giant albatross.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1619 on: October 08, 2019, 03:52:28 PM »

About 3 months after I bought my Nissan Juke I started getting mailings about how I should probably consider upgrading to a brand new PATHFINDER!!  Because apparently my decision to get the smallest possible SUV 3 months ago is now totally irrelevant and I suddenly want to drive a giant albatross.

Of course, that makes a lot of sense. 3 months is long enough to get buyer's regret, because your brand new car is still the smallest on the parking lot. Time to trade it in for a real car.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1620 on: October 08, 2019, 04:00:02 PM »
Because naturally women will be judging you based on the size of the parking space you fill up.

Hah

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1621 on: October 08, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »
Because naturally women will be judging you based on the size of the parking space you fill up.

Hah

Well... if there's any truth to the saying that consumer-sukka women dress to impress other women, maybe consumer-sukka men buy cars to impress other men.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1622 on: October 08, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »

Hah

Well... if there's any truth to the saying that consumer-sukka women dress to impress other women, maybe consumer-sukka men buy cars to impress other men.

I know my male coworkers definitely try to impress each other by having big cars. And women who drive big 'masculine' cars are respected way more than women who drive small 'feminine' cars. Size definitely matters more than price tag.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1623 on: October 08, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »

Hah

I mean, I do...

But in reverse.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1624 on: October 08, 2019, 05:43:29 PM »

Hah

I mean, I do...

But in reverse.
Yes! “Little penis trucks” as my friend dubbed the huge hick trucks of some of our high school classmates

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1625 on: October 09, 2019, 07:37:31 AM »
Saw the new Ford Ranger for the first time yesterday. Mentioned I liked it better than the big trucks. Friend looked at me like I broke some rule of manliness. I won't mention to him then that I also like the Honda Ridgeline. And that is barely a truck by some people's measure. Am not in the market for a truck at any size though. I get by fine with a little utility trailer.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1626 on: October 09, 2019, 08:14:27 AM »

Hah

I mean, I do...

But in reverse.

me too. Especially the big shiny pick up trucks that are used for commuting. Compensating for - something.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1627 on: October 09, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »

Hah

I mean, I do...

But in reverse.
Me too, and not solely because I cannot fucking see to back out of a parking lot if a big truck/SUV parks next to me.

BTW, I drive the "big" car.  The 06 Matrix.

twe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1628 on: October 09, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
Coworker 1 this week the day after corporate announcement that our pension plan was frozen (not for me as it has been closed to new hires for 7 years). "I upped my 401k 1% to make up for it", with it being the frozen pension. This was also immediately after Coworker1 had a discussion with Coworker2 who said both he and his wife were, and had been, maxing their 401k's for years. CW1 said "I don't know how you can do that". Granted, CW2 almost certainly makes about 20% more than CW1, but we're all paid low (very low) six figures. And there is a 50% 401k match. I just kept drinking my free coffee.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1629 on: October 09, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »

Hah

I worked with a guy once who was a total kiss-ass and was too insecure to have opinions of his own (basically every sentence started with "Well boss says" or "Well senior engineer says") Once I mentioned to him that I thought he could be more assertive in asking for resources for his unit. He replied "Yeah I can tell the guys don't respect me because I drive a Jeep".

I blinked slowly a few times and mumbled something about how I think that wasn't the issue. He showed up about a month later with a new Ford pickup, leather seats and all. I said nothing, especially when he said "Pretty sweet huh!"

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1630 on: October 10, 2019, 01:35:17 AM »
Poor guy. Compensation vehicles look that much worse on someone with low self esteem

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1631 on: October 10, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
Coworker 1 this week the day after corporate announcement that our pension plan was frozen (not for me as it has been closed to new hires for 7 years). "I upped my 401k 1% to make up for it", with it being the frozen pension. This was also immediately after Coworker1 had a discussion with Coworker2 who said both he and his wife were, and had been, maxing their 401k's for years. CW1 said "I don't know how you can do that". Granted, CW2 almost certainly makes about 20% more than CW1, but we're all paid low (very low) six figures. And there is a 50% 401k match. I just kept drinking my free coffee.

50% all the way to the max?

Master of None

• Bristles
« Reply #1632 on: October 10, 2019, 10:22:50 AM »
Saw the new Ford Ranger for the first time yesterday. Mentioned I liked it better than the big trucks. Friend looked at me like I broke some rule of manliness. I won't mention to him then that I also like the Honda Ridgeline. And that is barely a truck by some people's measure. Am not in the market for a truck at any size though. I get by fine with a little utility trailer.

I recently purchased a used Gen 1 Ridgeline and love it! Can pull a trailer with my lawn equipment and I can fill up the bed with mulch or limbs if needed. Has really helped me take on a few more lawns for extra money. Also just took the my boy out for a camp out last weekend and the trunk in the bed of the truck sure came in handy when it was pouring down rain. Tent and all supplies were still dry. They may look goofy to some people, but so far I have gotten a decent amount of use out of it.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1633 on: October 10, 2019, 10:38:58 AM »

Inquiring minds want to know...
If it is so, I think I speak for most of us when I say "Da-amn, nice gig you got there".

twe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1634 on: October 10, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »

Inquiring minds want to know...
If it is so, I think I speak for most of us when I say "Da-amn, nice gig you got there".

I wish it was up to the max. It's 50% up to 8%, with a 3% company contribution whether you save anything or not. I'm also stuck in highly compensated employee limbo as I don't make enough to max it out with the cap on my % of contributions, and too much to contribute whatever % will max it out. It was a good news, bad news, kind of raise.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1635 on: October 11, 2019, 01:35:34 AM »
The HCE thing is a disappointment. I was stuck there at my old company. No more at my current one! And our match is 50% up to the full $19k. And the plan is at vanguard and offers auto Roth conversions for mega backdoor Roth.

I am totally in love with my current 401k plan.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1636 on: October 11, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »
"Why would we wash dishes when we can just use paper plates from Costco, amiright?"

No. No that is not right.

ETA: This was in reference to regular home use

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1637 on: October 11, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
"Why would we wash dishes when we can just use paper plates from Costco, amiright?"

FWIW, I have some relatives that have actually done the math of paper vs reusable plates, and it's not as clear-cut as you might immediately think.  When you consider the acquisition cost, the cost of water, electricity, detergent, and the time spent washing and putting away dishes, the gap narrows considerably.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1638 on: October 11, 2019, 09:32:51 AM »

FWIW, I have some relatives that have actually done the math of paper vs reusable plates, and it's not as clear-cut as you might immediately think.  When you consider the acquisition cost, the cost of water, electricity, detergent, and the time spent washing and putting away dishes, the gap narrows considerably.

They already have real plates, just use them less.

Personally I don't think adding up tasks that take <1 minute* and applying an hourly cost to them is proper accounting. I know some people disagree but my opinion is that avoiding those small tasks doesn't really free up time in your day, it's just less work.

And most importantly my concern is more environmental than financial.

*this is just plates for 2 people. They still wash pots/pans, cups, utensils...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1639 on: October 11, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »

Personally I don't think adding up tasks that take <1 minute* and applying an hourly cost to them is proper accounting. I know some people disagree but my opinion is that avoiding those small tasks doesn't really free up time in your day, it's just less work.

The practical cost of washing plates and utensils goes way down when you have to wash the preparation tools too. No extra soap is required unless you've got enough guests to justify an extra sink full of soapy water. But there is an economy of scale when you have large numbers of guests and several courses of food. One thing about paper plates is that they do scale well for large numbers of guests. I've been known to use them for open houses and informal events like barbecues simply because I refuse to own, house, and maintain that number of dishes or utensils.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #1640 on: October 11, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1641 on: October 11, 2019, 04:55:41 PM »
The HCE thing is a disappointment. I was stuck there at my old company. No more at my current one! And our match is 50% up to the full $19k. And the plan is at vanguard and offers auto Roth conversions for mega backdoor Roth.

I am totally in love with my current 401k plan.
Sigh.  I worried about HCE, knowing that it takes effect for the year after you earn that amount.  So I expected to be limited in my contributions this year, as my income was exactly at the HCE limit for last year (20 cents over).

But they've said nothing?  And this year's limit is higher, and eff it I need to get a new job because I should be FAR above the HCE limit.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1642 on: October 11, 2019, 07:00:31 PM »

The practical cost of washing plates and utensils goes way down when you have to wash the preparation tools too. No extra soap is required unless you've got enough guests to justify an extra sink full of soapy water. But there is an economy of scale when you have large numbers of guests and several courses of food. One thing about paper plates is that they do scale well for large numbers of guests. I've been known to use them for open houses and informal events like barbecues simply because I refuse to own, house, and maintain that number of dishes or utensils.

I only use disposable aluminum cooking vessels and paper cooking utensils.  My favorite are the paper tongs!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1643 on: October 11, 2019, 09:35:14 PM »

I only use disposable aluminum cooking vessels and paper cooking utensils.  My favorite are the paper tongs!
But what do you do when you spill something on the counter? Maybe use a drop cloth in the kitchen to be safe. Wouldn't want to have to clean anything.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1644 on: October 11, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »
Counter?  You mean the cardboard boxes I have arranged around the kitchen?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1645 on: October 12, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »
Or you just cover the countertops with aluminum foil, so you can ball it up and throw it away after instead of wiping down, right?

Note: I’ve actually heard of a family that used to do this

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1646 on: October 12, 2019, 12:36:45 AM »
Or you just cover the countertops with aluminum foil, so you can ball it up and throw it away after instead of wiping down, right?

Sounds like the environmentally friendly approach.  You can recycle aluminum but you can't recycle used sponges.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1647 on: October 12, 2019, 12:53:19 AM »
Don’t you have to clean the aluminum foil before it can be recycled?

Haha, back to square one!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1648 on: October 12, 2019, 12:59:29 AM »

Sounds like the environmentally friendly approach.  You can recycle aluminum but you can't recycle used sponges.

Yeah. You can recycle it. But when you do it and where you do it and whence you do it - you will use up so much coal-produced electricity...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1649 on: October 12, 2019, 01:16:20 AM »

Yeah. You can recycle it. But when you do it and where you do it and whence you do it - you will use up so much coal-produced electricity...

Ah yes, beautiful clean coal.  Feels so good in my lungs.