Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112855 times)

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1400 on: August 26, 2019, 07:34:02 AM »
But this woman should probably actually try driving a manual car before she buys one.  They can be a pain in the ass, especially in the city or in emergency situations.

Why?

In the extremely rare instances that you evade a nearly car-total crash and hospital, you can always start the engine new. I would be surprised if that situation happens to anyone so frequently that they get angry about this detail.

And in the city I like that I can say how much braking my engine should do (and also saving on fuel). I don't see your problem.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  I'll make my points more clear:

Manuals can be more dangerous if you suddenly need to accelerate, like an unexpected lane ending.  My little yaris doesn't pull in fifth gear very well.  It's better to simply be able to stand on the accelerator rather than downshift twice.

In traffic, stop and go is rough on the clutch and often first gear is fairly jerky switching from throttle on to vacuum, or vice versa.

Are you aware you don't need to downshift twice? You can safely skip a gear when downshifting as long as you're within that gear's range. The same is true for upshifting (but you'll always be in the gear's range when going up.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1401 on: August 26, 2019, 07:34:06 AM »
Good to know.  My 03 Corolla had a manual headlight switch and coil-on-plug ignition.  I once left the lights on and couldn't push start it.  Most modern cars probably have timers to shut the headlights off to prevent this.

But it still means you need adequate voltage at the ecu, something you didn't need with a points ignition.

I keep jumper cables in my car at all times anyway.

Oh the old cars are great for someone that likes to do the maintenance like me. I'm so glad that the modern car needs so little attention. I remember as a kid some people driving around in cars that needed a tune-up (adjustments) badly but owners back then were alot like some owners now - they ignore the car until the car won't start. Excessive tail pipe pollution and oil slicks on wet roads from leaky gaskets and crankcase vents.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1402 on: August 26, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
I currently have an employee who is FREAKING OUT because she was overpaid by 3 hours on the last paycheque, and therefore will be underpaid by 3 hours this coming paycheque (so that, at the end of the month, the total equals the correct amount, in short).

"But this means my car insurance won't go through!!!"

Like. Kid. You've already gotten the money. The money for your car insurance is literally sitting in your bank account, unless you went on a spending spree (waaaaaaitaminute, I see the problem). The money is actually yours, and you have it, what the hell.

And this is someone who is fairly paid for their level of experience and education, making over 40K in a LCOL area. No mortgage, no kids, no student loans, and I know her parents, they're doing ok and she's not subsidizing family.

????? I do not understand.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1403 on: August 26, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
I currently have an employee who is FREAKING OUT because she was overpaid by 3 hours on the last paycheque, and therefore will be underpaid by 3 hours this coming paycheque (so that, at the end of the month, the total equals the correct amount, in short).

Like. Kid. You've already gotten the money. The money for your car insurance is literally sitting in your bank account, unless you went on a spending spree (waaaaaaitaminute, I see the problem). The money is actually yours, and you have it, what the hell.

And this is someone who is fairly paid for their level of experience and education, making over 40K in a LCOL area. No mortgage, no kids, no student loans, and I know her parents, they're doing ok and she's not subsidizing family.

Wow.  That's as dumb as the folks who get paid monthly, but their boss pays them a week early before Christmas just to be nice, and they can't figure out how the money will last an extra week...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: August 26, 2019, 09:03:26 AM »

Wow.  That's as dumb as the folks who get paid monthly, but their boss pays them a week early before Christmas just to be nice, and they can't figure out how the money will last an extra week...

I mean, I could understand (I wouldn't have that much sympathy, but I could understand and would try to mitigate it) if she was going to be underpaid for the month, and money was just that tight. Like, ok, that happens, you're owed money, we'll get you the money you're owed, no problem.

But OMG SHE HAS THE MONEY. What she does with it once it's in her account is not my problem - my (legal, and ethical) responsibility is to ensure that she is paid what she is owed, which she has been!! At that point, what she does with it is officially her problem.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1405 on: August 26, 2019, 09:12:23 AM »
Previous pregnancy my water broke just before midnight and I was going to drive myself to the hospital, but my husband called me a Lyft. I told the driver to go to Kaiser and she casually asked if I was going to work. I just as casually replied “no” and I could tell from her driving that she wanted to drop me the heck off. Once we arrived I just as casually mentioned that the only entrance open at midnight was the emergency room, so she might as well drop me there (truth). But I was fine and walked up to L&D with no incident.

It seemed to make more sense to pay $40 for Lyft than $x,000 for an ambulance when it wasn’t really an emergency.

But yes, our system is f-ed up.

When my wife said she thought it was time, ( I wasn't sure) I made her drive and I also drove, so I could go to work if she didn't have a baby, she did. It's been 27 years, she won't let me forget. :-)
 Expectant husbands---it's not a good idea!

dude not a good idea! When those contractions hit you can't do anything but roll with them. I'm glad she didn't get in an accident on the way there. Reminds me of guys having heart attacks driving themselves to the hospital. My sister's former teacher did that; they found his body in his car in the parking lot of the hospital a couple days later (well he almost made it).

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1406 on: August 26, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »

I've had employees lose their shit when 1/2 hour was missing from their pay and that they would need to wait until the next week to get it corrected ..... less than $8 before deductions.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1407 on: August 26, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
We had a similar story like that at work this month. Due to reasons that were known to him for months in advance, we had to deduction a 3-figure sum from a guy's paycheck. His HR contact was sloppy and didn't inform him it was going to be this month, for which HR was repriemanded and apologies were given. But this doesn't change anything about the deduction, which was correct and expected. Guy is really pissed off now and forwarding letters that his mortgage wasn't paid this month and he's in big financial trouble now. Mind you this is not exactly a minimum wage earner.

Of course this situation sucks and the HR contact really messed up here, but I'm shocked that an expected 3-figure deduction directly leads to missing a mortgage payment for someone who earns an above average wage. Seems this guy doesn't even have €1000 in savings or even a credit card or overdraft facility he can use to pay such an important bill from.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: August 26, 2019, 10:48:12 AM »
But this woman should probably actually try driving a manual car before she buys one.  They can be a pain in the ass, especially in the city or in emergency situations.

Why?

In the extremely rare instances that you evade a nearly car-total crash and hospital, you can always start the engine new. I would be surprised if that situation happens to anyone so frequently that they get angry about this detail.

And in the city I like that I can say how much braking my engine should do (and also saving on fuel). I don't see your problem.

Manuals can be more dangerous if you suddenly need to accelerate, like an unexpected lane ending.  My little yaris doesn't pull in fifth gear very well.  It's better to simply be able to stand on the accelerator rather than downshift twice.

In traffic, stop and go is rough on the clutch and often first gear is fairly jerky switching from throttle on to vacuum, or vice versa.

Are you aware you don't need to downshift twice? You can safely skip a gear when downshifting as long as you're within that gear's range. The same is true for upshifting (but you'll always be in the gear's range when going up.
I thought the synchros might not appreciate this but I guess I was wrong.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1409 on: August 26, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »
You can downshift to any gear if you can get the RPMs high enough to match the new lower gear.

You could downshift to 1st gear at highway speeds if your engine could tolerate 21,000 rpm.

Exaggerating a little there. I'd hate to load the transmission at those kinds of RPMs. Not sure what would happen if the driver wasn't very, very smooth about it. Don't know if the transmission explode. Sort of light trying to run 500 HP through a transmission designed for 150 HP. Things flex, things break, things bend. Might work the first few times and then break.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1410 on: August 26, 2019, 07:45:13 PM »
Usually if you shift too low you’ll feel some grinding in the synchros well before you can even get the shifter in place, let alone let out the clutch.  Either way, it’s easily possible to shift from 6th or 5th directly into 3rd.  The car can handle it just fine, but if you don’t rev the engine the guy tailgating you is going to be pissed.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1411 on: August 26, 2019, 08:06:30 PM »

Jesus, that’s incredibly crazy and sad.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1412 on: August 27, 2019, 12:16:25 AM »
Usually if you shift too low you’ll feel some grinding in the synchros well before you can even get the shifter in place, let alone let out the clutch.  Either way, it’s easily possible to shift from 6th or 5th directly into 3rd.  The car can handle it just fine, but if you don’t rev the engine the guy tailgating you is going to be pissed.

Apparently shifting from 6th to 2nd at 70- 80mph on the Autoroute (France, kinda an Interstate highway) will break something.
It wasn't me but I don't think the rental company liked us after that.  And other issues......   :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1413 on: August 27, 2019, 12:42:26 AM »

Why?

I have been driving a manual gear all my adult life. Yesterday I borrowed a car and it turned out to be an automatic gear, which didn't have a gear pedal. First I panicked a bit, because I was in a hurry and this came as a surprise. But I figured out that R probably meant Reverse, N most likely Neutral and then I choose to put it into D instead of S. After driving for 5 minutes, I figured out that D probably meant Drive. I still don't know what the S was for, though.
It went well, as there isn't so much you can do wrong with an automatic gear.
I can only try to imagine how it must be for some of you to drive a manual gear for the first time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1414 on: August 27, 2019, 01:28:44 AM »

Why?

I have been driving a manual gear all my adult life. Yesterday I borrowed a car and it turned out to be an automatic gear, which didn't have a gear pedal. First I panicked a bit, because I was in a hurry and this came as a surprise. But I figured out that R probably meant Reverse, N most likely Neutral and then I choose to put it into D instead of S. After driving for 5 minutes, I figured out that D probably meant Drive. I still don't know what the S was for, though.
I can only try to imagine how it must be for some of you to drive a manual gear for the first time.

S is for Slow.  Good thing you didn't select that since you were in a hurry

Depending on the car, I prefer to put it in H

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:30:32 AM by dragoncar »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1415 on: August 27, 2019, 02:39:45 AM »

I borrowed a friend's jeep to (re)learn to drive standard after 20 plus years.   (Funny enough the last time I drove standard was when i worked in Norway, I drove the truck for the sewer department.  The boss swore it was automatic... automatic choke, that is, as I found out after I arrived for the job).

The first two times in the Jeep, I was panicking a bit because the dash clearly said "N" and sometimes "S", and I was sure I was in first or even second or third gears... I kept trying to ignore it but I was confused and certain I had broken their car.   

It turns out that Manual cars do not have a gear indicator on the dash,  (I did not know that) but this one did have compass directions!

Aside...
The "S" is likely for second gear.  In automatics, you can shift between D for drive, or force it to stay in second and first gear.  Mainly for snow, rough roads, or to have the engine slow you on long downhills instead of the brakes.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1416 on: August 27, 2019, 02:49:45 AM »

I borrowed a friend's jeep to (re)learn to drive standard after 20 plus years.   (Funny enough the last time I drove standard was when i worked in Norway, I drove the truck for the sewer department.  The boss swore it was automatic... automatic choke, that is, as I found out after I arrived for the job).

The first two times in the Jeep, I was panicking a bit because the dash clearly said "N" and sometimes "S", and I was sure I was in first or even second or third gears... I kept trying to ignore it but I was confused and certain I had broken their car.   

It turns out that Manual cars do not have a gear indicator on the dash,  (I did not know that) but this one did have compass directions!

Aside...
The "S" is likely for second gear.  In automatics, you can shift between D for drive, or force it to stay in second and first gear.  Mainly for snow, rough roads, or to have the engine slow you on long downhills instead of the brakes.

:-))

Modern manual gear cars have a digital gear indicator in the dashboard again. Our 2010 Subaru Outback has that. But before that, they didn't.  I usually don't look at it, but just listen to the motor noise.

I remember manual chokes, that was a bit of a bother. Glad that has been automated today.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1417 on: August 27, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »
I like driving stick and I'm pretty good with my shifts, I can even heel-toe in my little Yaris if I cram my feet together.  My more general point is that, in some extreme cases, an auto can be better because in an emergency situation, more thinking generally is worse than less thinking.  But it's an unlikely case, I admit.

I also did the math and found out I get approx. 41 mpg in my little car, so I'm pretty happy with that.  Almost all highway miles of course.

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1418 on: August 27, 2019, 07:24:30 AM »
You can downshift to any gear if you can get the RPMs high enough to match the new lower gear.

You could downshift to 1st gear at highway speeds if your engine could tolerate 21,000 rpm.

Exaggerating a little there. I'd hate to load the transmission at those kinds of RPMs. Not sure what would happen if the driver wasn't very, very smooth about it. Don't know if the transmission explode. Sort of light trying to run 500 HP through a transmission designed for 150 HP. Things flex, things break, things bend. Might work the first few times and then break.

That would be what's called a mechanical over-rev. The typical result isn't damage to the transmission, but damage to the valvetrain. Valves will begin to float and the pistons will contact them. This equals bent valves, scored cams, damaged pistons, all kinds of bad things. I mechanically over-reved my car once, luckily the tires spun and I disengaged the clutch at 10,500 RPM (the computer records over-revs). THey say damage on that car begins around 11,000 RPM. I got lucky!

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #1419 on: August 27, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
Aside...

Likely, could also be "sport" to give some higher RPMs and slightly different handling.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1420 on: August 27, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
So....anyone have any overheard at work stories?

You know, in 18 months at my current job, I haven't overheard a single anti-mustachian conversation at work. I apparently work with a bunch of responsible adults. One even introduced me to MMM before retiring.

The nerve of some people!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1421 on: August 27, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »

You know, in 18 months at my current job, I haven't overheard a single anti-mustachian conversation at work. I apparently work with a bunch of responsible adults. One even introduced me to MMM before retiring.

The nerve of some people!

Interesting. I wonder if he shared any stories about you before bringing you in :)

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #1422 on: August 27, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »

Good grief what a mess.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: August 27, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »

My coworker financed a used SUV two years ago from one of those sketchy used car places with high interest for people with bad credit.  It developed a knock.  He traded it in for another high interest used SUV because he didn't have the money to fix it.

I think I've mentioned him before in this thread.  Has two adult children that don't work and a disabled wife that doesn't work. 

I work at an RV dealer.  No one has a money mustache.  Except the 22 year old buying mutual funds, he seems to have his head on straight.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #1424 on: August 27, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »
This was a while ago and could probably be cross posted to the thread about horrible situations where people won’t be able to retire.

This is really overheard and I don’t know the surrounding circumstances to any of these stories; I heard her name but couldn’t pick her out of a lineup. Here’s what I pieced together.

She is a widow and taking care of at least two middle- or high-school aged grandchildren, at least one of whom has a probation officer and generally doesn’t seem to listen to her directions which sounded perfectly reasonable to me (stuff like go home, not to your friend’s place).

There was the time where she got a new vehicle (don’t know if it was brand new or used but new to her) but couldn’t immediately pay the insurance when she updated the policy.

And then there was the time where she called the credit union to tell them she wouldn’t be able to pay her mortgage that month. Sounded like the person who took the call didn’t know what to do with it. A few minutes later somebody else from the credit union calls her back and tells her she was actually a payment ahead so skipping the payment would just put her back on schedule.

The saddest situation I overheard, though, was when she was arguing with one of the grandkids when they wanted her to buy or pay for something and she said the only money she had was the “five bucks or whatever” that was in her wallet.

Didn’t sound like a good situation at all.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1425 on: August 27, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »
Here's one overheard at the gym.  Trainer who frequently mentions his Hellcat (and other cars he has owned) starts saying how a person is wasting money to pay cash for a car, because you'd be better to invest the $40k.  So I say, you can't guarantee a return high enough to offset the car loan interest.  He starts talking about investing in "spider" funds. 

Him: Invest the 40k in a spider fund, then you'll have the car and 40k and the 10% per year investment return.
Me:  You will have paid the 40k on the car loan, and only the amount of the investment return that is more than the loan interest.
Him: No, I put the 40k in the investment.
Me:  You still had to pay the 40k in payments on the car.
Him:  No, I put the 40k in the investment.
He didn't seem to understand that he was paying $40k + interest in the monthly car payments. 

I had to google spider fund.  He thinks he's got a 10% guarantee of an S&P 500 index. 

I had to google Hellcat, too.  Glad I didn't try to tell him about buying older used cars for real money savings.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1426 on: August 28, 2019, 04:28:33 AM »
My workplace is big on work life balance and physical/mental/emotional health. So we all have access to a free gym and free weight room and a free dance studio and free exercise classes. Anyway, last week an email went out regarding spin classes at the work place. Only USD$100/session! And you have to sign up for 15 sessions minimum. At least 10 people signed up immediately. Some of those people have talked in the past about not saving enough money and joking about having to work until they’re old. I’m like, if you stopped spending $100/day on sessions, you might be able to retire earlier. These people also pay $4 for prepackaged veggie sticks, like a little box of to-go carrot and cucumber sticks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1427 on: August 28, 2019, 05:06:07 AM »
My workplace is big on work life balance and physical/mental/emotional health. So we all have access to a free gym and free weight room and a free dance studio and free exercise classes. Anyway, last week an email went out regarding spin classes at the work place. Only USD$100/session! And you have to sign up for 15 sessions minimum. At least 10 people signed up immediately. Some of those people have talked in the past about not saving enough money and joking about having to work until they’re old. I’m like, if you stopped spending $100/day on sessions, you might be able to retire earlier. These people also pay $4 for prepackaged veggie sticks, like a little box of to-go carrot and cucumber sticks.

Is that not a typo with a 0 too many? That is an absurd amount for a spinning session.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1428 on: August 28, 2019, 06:09:35 AM »
I just thought of another one.

My office walls are quite bare, and I’ve been wanting to put a picture or painting on the wall. My coworker has some beautiful framed paintings on her wall. She recommended her art guy. Only $200 to frame a painting, plus another couple hundred for the painting itself.

I ended up buying a paint by numbers oil painting kit. I just need something on the wall, and it’s a fun project.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: August 28, 2019, 06:15:30 AM »
Here's one overheard at the gym.  Trainer who frequently mentions his Hellcat (and other cars he has owned) starts saying how a person is wasting money to pay cash for a car, because you'd be better to invest the $40k.  So I say, you can't guarantee a return high enough to offset the car loan interest.  He starts talking about investing in "spider" funds. 

Him: Invest the 40k in a spider fund, then you'll have the car and 40k and the 10% per year investment return.
Me:  You will have paid the 40k on the car loan, and only the amount of the investment return that is more than the loan interest.
Him: No, I put the 40k in the investment.
Me:  You still had to pay the 40k in payments on the car.
Him:  No, I put the 40k in the investment.
He didn't seem to understand that he was paying $40k + interest in the monthly car payments. 

I had to google spider fund.  He thinks he's got a 10% guarantee of an S&P 500 index. 

I had to google Hellcat, too.  Glad I didn't try to tell him about buying older used cars for real money savings.

700hp on a public road is beyond foolish.  I hope his endocrine system is stable. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1430 on: August 28, 2019, 06:32:08 AM »
I'm going to be devil's advocate
This was a while ago and could probably be cross posted to the thread about horrible situations where people won’t be able to retire.

This is really overheard and I don’t know the surrounding circumstances to any of these stories; I heard her name but couldn’t pick her out of a lineup. Here’s what I pieced together.

She is a widow and taking care of at least two middle- or high-school aged grandchildren, at least one of whom has a probation officer and generally doesn’t seem to listen to her directions which sounded perfectly reasonable to me (stuff like go home, not to your friend’s place).
- that does sound bad. It's tough to be a single parent, let alone a grandmother-aged parent.

There was the time where she got a new vehicle (don’t know if it was brand new or used but new to her) but couldn’t immediately pay the insurance when she updated the policy.
-Could be poor planning. But If she wasn't previously driving and you get a car there are a lot of new expenses (car, registration) and insurance on top of that can be a bit of sticker shock.

And then there was the time where she called the credit union to tell them she wouldn’t be able to pay her mortgage that month. Sounded like the person who took the call didn’t know what to do with it. A few minutes later somebody else from the credit union calls her back and tells her she was actually a payment ahead so skipping the payment would just put her back on schedule.

-I budget tight and so yeah if I accidentaly paid a month ahead that means I wouldn't have the money for mortgage when it did roll around. Maybe she budgets tight.

The saddest situation I overheard, though, was when she was arguing with one of the grandkids when they wanted her to buy or pay for something and she said the only money she had was the “five bucks or whatever” that was in her wallet.

-maybe that was the truth but it also sounds like something I would tell my kids if I didn't want to buy them something.
Didn’t sound like a good situation at all.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #1431 on: August 28, 2019, 09:08:47 AM »
I have a coworker who is the only stable income in her household (and she makes maybe $35k). Her husband has a vending/catering business that really should be classified as a hobby. They spend every cent they bring in on this "business" to buy better equipment, lease a storefront for almost a year before opening up to business two days a week, etc. Her husband is terrible at planning ahead so they don't always have the supplies on hand for a catering job so they are running to pick up plates and napkins the day before. Or she will use her lunch break at her 8-5 job to pick up supplies in our town rather than getting a discount for a large commercial order.

And yet, this woman is always buying new clothes, needs to see medical professionals for an ongoing health issue, and their vehicles are older and always in the shop. At some point there will be no more loans/credit cards available and they will be completely maxed out. If she lost her job and the medical benefits, they'd be unable to make the payments on pretty much everything within 30 days. I just cringe every time I hear her say they got a new(er) vehicle or bought new equipment. I'm not sure they can dig themselves out of the hole they are already in.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1432 on: August 28, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »
Not exactly a co-worker, but I was talking to someone the other day and said something about ordering my groceries for pickup.  She told me that she'd love to be able to do that, but you have to place the order, and let WM put a hold on your card, the day before you pick them up.  That doesn't work for her because they need groceries on Thursday, but don't get paid until Thursday so she can't place the order a day early.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1433 on: August 28, 2019, 10:35:37 AM »
Coworkers and cars :( a guy at my work is always driving beaters - not of the mustachian type but the ones that cost 500 and require 2000 in maintenance within three months. His cars are always breaking down and failing inspections. He showed up in a new car this week and I was initially happy for him: it's a modest car, 8 years old, fuel efficient and looks well maintained. The type of car a mustachian would buy and run into the ground.

He told me it was valued at €4k and just when I started wondering where he got that kind of money he proudly told me he finally qualified for a car loan. He put down €1200 and will pay €100/month for the next 5 years. By that time he will have paid twice what the car is worth in car payment and as it's 8 years old I'm sure there'll be maintenance costs as well. He's super proud of his shiny car and I wish him the best but it's a bad deal. It's extra sad that he still lives with his parents in a fairly remote place because he can't afford his own place, but as his parents live so far away from everything he spends a significant part of his income on driving.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1434 on: August 28, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
My Coworker likes cars. He drives a "mustachian" car at the moment, but is on lookout for a sporty car. I would give you 2 or 3 names if I could even bother to remember them... anyway today on business trip we saw his favorite - as he said it is totally overdesigned, looks like a race car.

He also does not want to put away money for retirement because he thinks he will be dead anyway. He does not go to doctors, so there is at least some basis in this claim.

Is that not a typo with a 0 too many? That is an absurd amount for a spinning session.

I had to google that. A spinning lesson is where you sit on what we in Germany call "home trainer" (historic word!)? A stationary bike?

I got one of these used for 10€ and got a free weight lifting (extra cheap!!) out of getting it upstairs.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1435 on: August 28, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
@LennStar it's kind of like that, but super high energy and usually done in groups. It's nothing like how my grandma used to work out on her hometrainer. I've never done a spinning class, but I've watched them at the gym and it looks too intense for me.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1436 on: August 28, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »
@LennStar it's kind of like that, but super high energy and usually done in groups. It's nothing like how my grandma used to work out on her hometrainer. I've never done a spinning class, but I've watched them at the gym and it looks too intense for me.

Yeah, that kind of spin class is like going out for a bike ride with a bunch of really intense people, plus loud music and someone yelling at you. Only you don't actually go anywhere, and you pay for the privilege.

I have gotten some benefit out of spin classes that are already offered through my gym, because I don't bike in winter and have to regain some strength every spring. But those are much less intense than the ones you'd pay $100/class for.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1437 on: August 28, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »
What kind of spin class costs $100?? Is it taught by Arnold Schwarzenegger??

I spent a week with a friend recently and we went to her gym every day. I bought a guest pass for $30/week. It was a pretty nice gym. We went to at least one and sometimes two classes (yoga, pilates, cardio) every day for five days so I consider it an okay deal. They had spin classes too but the times didn't work for us.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1438 on: August 28, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »

They're actually fun, although I wanted to collapse after the first one I tried. My friend and I used to take spin classes in grad school to blow off steam, as we got a really good deal through the university gym. I wish I could find one locally that didn't require me to pay more than my electric+natural gas bill per month.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1439 on: August 28, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
I had to google that. A spinning lesson is where you sit on what we in Germany call "home trainer" (historic word!)? A stationary bike?

It‘s a US thing. We‘ll probably get spinning within the next year. Search for “I feel pretty” (that’s a movie) and SoulCycle (a company offering spinnig and paying a lot for product placement in said movie). In Hamburg there are already offerings in the more expensive and hip part of the city, auch as Hicycle.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1440 on: August 29, 2019, 08:41:56 AM »
Yeah, that kind of spin class is like going out for a bike ride with a bunch of really intense people, plus loud music and someone yelling at you. Only you don't actually go anywhere, and you pay for the privilege.
I have never understood those persons paying money for an army-like boot camp O.o
But I guess it is a good opportunity for old drill sergeants to do what they are used to in their second career.

As a severe introvert the combination of intense people, loud music and someone yelling together is something I would pay $100 to get away from ;)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1441 on: August 29, 2019, 09:02:33 AM »

It‘s a US thing. We‘ll probably get spinning within the next year. Search for “I feel pretty” (that’s a movie) and SoulCycle (a company offering spinnig and paying a lot for product placement in said movie). In Hamburg there are already offerings in the more expensive and hip part of the city, auch as Hicycle.

Spinning class has been a normal concept in Norway for many years. I went to such a class one winter when I was a member of a cycle club. In the summer, we cycled outside. We rented the spinning room during the winter, for an hour a week and one of the club was the instructor. I think we paid 8 euros per training, including showering at the senter. But that was many years ago.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: August 29, 2019, 10:10:54 AM »

They're actually fun, although I wanted to collapse after the first one I tried. My friend and I used to take spin classes in grad school to blow off steam, as we got a really good deal through the university gym. I wish I could find one locally that didn't require me to pay more than my electric+natural gas bill per month.

Former spin instructor here.  Classes were included in my gym's
membership, but surprising few members took advantage of it.

It was great 5-year gig for me as a side hustle.  There's nothing
like getting paid to work out.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1443 on: August 29, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »
Borrow a bicycle and come ride the hills around here with me. If it get too easy, we'll borrow a 8-9 year old child to ride on the back for weight. ;)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: August 29, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
TLDR of a long convo I had with a coworker about mattresses...this is not the way I'd want to spend the fruits of my miserable office job. I can't believe people actually live like this.

That reminds me of a CW whose wife is a spendthrift. She grew up poor in a trailer park, but now makes over $500k/yr.

CW said she still manages to spend so much that her annual bonus just zeroes out the credit cards, and she starts over.

One day he asked us if we thought $1200 was a lot of money for a comforter. After the usual ribbing, he said, yes, his wife had ordered a comforter from some high-end store for $1200. Pretty much the same thing that the rest of us might spend $50 on at Kohl's or Target.

She makes money, but I don't think she'll ever have money.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1445 on: August 29, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
TLDR of a long convo I had with a coworker about mattresses...this is not the way I'd want to spend the fruits of my miserable office job. I can't believe people actually live like this.

That reminds me of a CW whose wife is a spendthrift. She grew up poor in a trailer park, but now makes over $500k/yr.

CW said she still manages to spend so much that her annual bonus just zeroes out the credit cards, and she starts over.

One day he asked us if we thought $1200 was a lot of money for a comforter. After the usual ribbing, he said, yes, his wife had ordered a comforter from some high-end store for $1200. Pretty much the same thing that the rest of us might spend $50 on at Kohl's or Target.

I hope you are wrong about her not ever having money.  I can't imagine making $500,000/year and possibly having very little net worth.  Yikes!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1446 on: August 29, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »

I hope you are wrong about her not ever having money.  I can't imagine making $500,000/year and possibly having very little net worth.  Yikes!

Maybe taxes are very different in NY, but in Canada $500K/year salary would net less than $250K/year....often people spend their gross income, not they net.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1447 on: August 29, 2019, 02:11:15 PM »

Maybe taxes are very different in NY, but in Canada $500K/year salary would net less than $250K/year....often people spend their gross income, not they net.

Laughs in non-socialist

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: August 29, 2019, 03:49:34 PM »

Myself and CW have discussed finances, and he said he spends the last few months before her bonus arrives juggling credit cards, trying to not let her open any new accounts. He makes around $100k. They bought a $600k house that had stucco issues, so they spent over $70k just fixing the place a few months after buying it.

He said it's ridiculous that he's so stressed out over money when they make that much, but he can't get her to change.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1449 on: August 29, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »

Myself and CW have discussed finances, and he said he spends the last few months before her bonus arrives juggling credit cards, trying to not let her open any new accounts. He makes around $100k. They bought a $600k house that had stucco issues, so they spent over $70k just fixing the place a few months after buying it.

He said it's ridiculous that he's so stressed out over money when they make that much, but he can't get her to change.

When someone else's habit directly affects you in a negative way, and you cannot break them of the habit, the only remaining option is to break the means by which that habit affects you.