Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 332163 times)

mavendrill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1050 on: July 14, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »
I teach at a major University, and always ask my attention to write up their spring break stories.
I taught a class of international language Learners last spring.  The program changes double the international rate, they don't get admitted to the university (but can if they do well in learning English and their grades qualify).  Basically the program exists for extremely rich kids who are from countries that have difficulties getting long term tourist visas. 

The responses were unreal this spring from the class:
I went to Prague.  I went to reykjavik.  I went to ny to see a show then Beijing to visit my boyfriend. 

But my favorite:
I went to Disney world.  But it was hot. So I went to Disneyland.  It was lame.  So I went to euro Disney.  The hotel wasn't good. so I came home early. 

So this 20 year old flew to Florida, then last minute to LA, then last minute to Paris, then last minute back to Charlotte.  I'll assume she bought weekly passes at each park, and probably had insane hotels.  I imagine that a person who complains about LA being boring and Orlando in March being hot would only fly first class... I ended up guessing they spent North of 10k on the "failed vacation"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1051 on: July 14, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
Was at a work do last night and the conversation turned to after purchase payment schemes - the ones where you get your low cost goods up front and pay a small amount weekly or whatever until it's paid off? I don't quite know how it works since I'd never heard of them! Anyway, not only were the others astonished that I'd never heard of the whole idea of buying a $20 dollar item and paying it off in four easy payments of $5, they were astonished that I'd never needed this sort of plan. I was asked what I did if I wanted something and didn't have the money - BY THE MANAGER AND OPS MANAGER! I was trying to avoid saying that I can afford anything I want for cash, so I said I'd just put it on credit card. But what if you have no balance on your credit card?? Um.... that's never happened and if it did I wouldn't be buying said item. They looked at me like I'd started speaking ancient arabic, and changed the subject.

Iím sure this has been posted a lot, but itís again relevant:

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: July 15, 2019, 05:52:25 AM »
Maybe she and the baby can get matching tattoos.

How about coordinating?

It's like they've got each others' backs!

remizidae

• Stubble
« Reply #1053 on: July 15, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »
As devastated as she was, she never should have gotten a divorce.  Everyone is going to make mistakes.
Bringing a prostitute into the marital bed was not a 'mistake'. It was a betrayal.

The husband is responsible for the infidelity (assuming they were monogamous of course) but the wife is the one who chose the disastrous divorce. Plenty of people cheat on each other and stay happily married. Just think how much better off this woman would have been if she had been able to  get over those reptile-brain jealous urges.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1054 on: July 15, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »
As devastated as she was, she never should have gotten a divorce.  Everyone is going to make mistakes.
Bringing a prostitute into the marital bed was not a 'mistake'. It was a betrayal.

The husband is responsible for the infidelity (assuming they were monogamous of course) but the wife is the one who chose the disastrous divorce. Plenty of people cheat on each other and stay happily married. Just think how much better off this woman would have been if she had been able to  get over those reptile-brain jealous urges.

I would looooove a more detailed definition of 'happily married'. May I never know happiness like THAT.

sherr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1055 on: July 15, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »

I would looooove a more detailed definition of 'happily married'. May I never know happiness like THAT.

Some people do get over infidelity and become (not "stay" obviously) happily married. But to claim that's what should always happen is nuts. And to blame the victim in the (immediate) situation is also nuts.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1056 on: July 15, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »

Some people do get over infidelity and become (not "stay" obviously) happily married. But to claim that's what should always happen is nuts. And to blame the victim in the (immediate) situation is also nuts.
I think Kitsune may be assuming that either the unfaithful spouse remains unfaithful, or is unrepentant.  In either of those cases, yeah, it's hard to imagine a happy marriage.  If the wayward spouse chooses to return to marital fidelity, then certainly they can become happily married again.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1057 on: July 15, 2019, 03:48:20 PM »

Good lord.

Yeah.

And also the possible STDs that her husband brought into her life.

Because, um... I think it is statistically unlikely that this was the very first time he had ever been with a prostitute.

Nice blaming the wife for being a "lizard brain."

I am thoroughly disgusted. That's enough internet for one day. I've seen the worst thing I'm likely to see today.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #1058 on: July 16, 2019, 07:07:19 AM »

Funny how it's always a woman who is supposed to forgive a man for being unfaithful. How often do men forgive a woman who cheats on them? (and before anyone jumps to any conclusions about my gender I'm a guy married to another guy).

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1059 on: July 16, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »

Funny how it's always a woman who is supposed to forgive a man for being unfaithful. How often do men forgive a woman who cheats on them? (and before anyone jumps to any conclusions about my gender I'm a guy married to another guy).
I don't think anyone is trying to make this a one-way street, and I think it's a mistake to infer any sexism here.  In this particular instance, it was indeed the man who cheated, and the woman who would be in the position of granting forgiveness, so I'm guessing any comments that specify the sex of the offender and the offended are done so in that context.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1060 on: July 16, 2019, 07:54:19 AM »
It was so weird. I have about $14000 in credit card balance I could use if I wanted to. And I have cash, so I don't need to do that...... And, ffs, what can you possibly want that only costs a few bucks that you HAVE to have right then???

Toothpaste and deodorant on a payment plan... ?!?!?!?!

So basically this is like layaway but the customer gets the thing up front.

I LOVE layaway. Only made use of it a few times in my life. Built-in cooling off period in case buyer's regret sets in or a better deal presents itself.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:01:42 AM by Just Joe »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: July 16, 2019, 09:29:11 AM »

Good lord.

Yeah.

And also the possible STDs that her husband brought into her life.

Because, um... I think it is statistically unlikely that this was the very first time he had ever been with a prostitute.

Nice blaming the wife for being a "lizard brain."

I am thoroughly disgusted. That's enough internet for one day. I've seen the worst thing I'm likely to see today.

I mean, it's POSSIBLE to work through cheating and find a happy marriage again - but the basis of most happy marriages is a certain level of trust. And to be clear: if my husband came home and was like "um, I did something reeeeeal dumb last night, we gotta talk", honestly, I would't divorce him, because the trust is still there. If we're at the point where he's bringing prostitutes to my bed, what the hell kind of foundation are you supposed to be building on?? How are you supposed to love someone you don't trust? On a very basic level, how on earth are you supposed to touch them without feeling like you need to coat yourself in latex and get STD tests weekly? (Note: not a reflection on my opinion of prostitution, but rather on 'if I don't know where you've been boning and I can't trust you to tell me the truth,  I can't trust any STD tests from you, and my health is therefore at risk'. And if I can't trust you to not fuck around, I can't trust you to wrap it up while you're fucking around).

And to be excessively clear: I'd much, much rather live in a small cheap apartment alone or with someone I love and trust than in a big house with someone I can't love or trust. Fuck the monetary costs of divorce. Money is a tool, not an end, and misery for money is the shittiest bargain. 

AMandM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1062 on: July 16, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »
misery for money is the shittiest bargain.

Cross-stitch this in a sampler and frame it on the wall!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1063 on: July 16, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »

It can go next to my 'if they don't have any books, don't fuck 'em' cross-stitch. #havestandards

fuzzy math

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1064 on: July 16, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »

Though I must admit, I also sometimes look to see if I can get something nicer...for less than what I am currently paying.

Why? Isnít that lifestyle creep?

Mustachian lifestyle creep. :P  (is that even a thing?)

Ya, it's when you look at the thermostat and say, "78? huh, feels like 76. Maybe I'll turn it up to 79"

HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG I am dying here laughing!!

fuzzy math

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1065 on: July 16, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »

And to be excessively clear: I'd much, much rather live in a small cheap apartment alone or with someone I love and trust than in a big house with someone I can't love or trust. Fuck the monetary costs of divorce. Money is a tool, not an end, and misery for money is the shittiest bargain.

So true. And yet I know a few people sitting in their vast expensive home wishing it was larger so they did not have to accidentally see their spouse at all.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1066 on: July 16, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »

It can go next to my 'if they don't have any books, don't fuck 'em' cross-stitch. #havestandards

Then my wife and I would be irresistible to you!  :)   #LeaveNoBookBehind

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1067 on: July 16, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »

I only read books from the library so nobody will fuck me.  #MPP

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1068 on: July 16, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »

So marrying a librarian would be a good thing - right?

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1069 on: July 16, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »

Eek! What about people like me who used to have literal hundreds of books but then gave them all up for a more minimalist lifestyle? Like, the last time I moved house, I hired professional movers, and when they came in, they looked around at my furniture, etc., and said, "Oh, this should be an easy move -- you don't have that much stuff."

Fast forward to many hours later, after they had moved like the twentieth paper ream box of books. By this point, they had long stopped talking to me, and their sullen, fixed expressions told me they were feeling a special kind of hatred for me.

I did tip them well, at least. But I don't think it was enough.

Today, though, if you came to my house, you'd probably be struck by the number of books I don't have.

My Kindle app on my iPad, though... well, that's another story...

ETA: I am not suggesting you should fuck me. Because that's just awkward and rude...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1070 on: July 16, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »

Eek! What about people like me who used to have literal hundreds of books but then gave them all up for a more minimalist lifestyle? Like, the last time I moved house, I hired professional movers, and when they came in, they looked around at my furniture, etc., and said, "Oh, this should be an easy move -- you don't have that much stuff."

Fast forward to many hours later, after they had moved like the twentieth paper ream box of books. By this point, they had long stopped talking to me, and their sullen, fixed expressions told me they were feeling a special kind of hatred for me.

Today, though, if you came to my house, you'd probably be struck by the number of books I don't have.

ETA: I am not suggesting you should fuck me. Because that's just awkward and rude...

I mean, I personally feel at home and cocooned when surrounded by books, and that makes me happy, so while I applaud your desires and commitment to have the lifestyle you prefer, it would probably not be compatible with my personal preferences. How's that for tactful? :)

Now to ruin the tact ENTIRELY:

... unless you started a really interesting conversation about mutually-loved fantasy novels, in which case I'm all ears (for the record: I have never picked up in a bar. I've picked up in the sci-fi section of the bookstore... more than once. I'm consistent in my opinions.)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1071 on: July 16, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »

I mean, I personally feel at home and cocooned when surrounded by books, and that makes me happy, so while I applaud your desires and commitment to have the lifestyle you prefer, it would probably not be compatible with my personal preferences. How's that for tactful? :)

You saw he was hitting on you too, was it when he said a "hundreds of books" :-)

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: July 17, 2019, 12:15:35 AM »
If you want to pick me up, the library is also a good place. If you use the one in my home it's even easier!

btw. the pinnacle of romance:
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/437516-you-should-date-a-girl-who-reads-date-a-girl

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1073 on: July 17, 2019, 12:40:33 AM »

You saw he was hitting on you too, was it when he said a "hundreds of books" :-)

SPLOOSH

TexanInBavaria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1074 on: July 17, 2019, 02:56:10 AM »

Though I must admit, I also sometimes look to see if I can get something nicer...for less than what I am currently paying.

Why? Isnít that lifestyle creep?

Mustachian lifestyle creep. :P  (is that even a thing?)

Getting nicer stuff makes it harder to go back to shittier stuff.  Even when I DIY a bunch of stuff and spend almost nothing, my lifestyle is increasing.  So IMO yeah.

Obtaining one disproportionately nice thing causing you to feel compelled to upgrade other things around it has been called Diderot effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect

I'm surprised that MMM never wrote a post about that, because it's a way that an otherwise sustainable lifestyle can be thrown into a spiral of consumption.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1075 on: July 17, 2019, 07:55:42 AM »
I'm surprised that MMM never wrote a post about that, because it's a way that an otherwise sustainable lifestyle can be thrown into a spiral of consumption.

Oh, honey

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/22/what-is-hedonic-adaptation-and-how-can-it-turn-you-into-a-sukka/

Montecarlo

• Bristles
« Reply #1076 on: July 18, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »

So true. And yet I know a few people sitting in their vast expensive home wishing it was larger so they did not have to accidentally see their spouse at all.

This whole discussion reminds me of this article that was posted in EPIC FU Money Stories:

https://www.thebillfold.com/2016/01/a-story-of-a-fuck-off-fund/

Not condoning cheating on spouses at all, but you gotta recognize that the woman was in a fragile situation to begin.  Fragility comes with risks...

onward19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1077 on: July 18, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
I sell stuff on ebay. Just yesterday I got a request "will you sell this for $5 but I can't pay you until Saturday. Is that ok?"

I almost always, as I did in this case, say yes, because I have never had anyone who asks up front give me a problem.

But I think, really, if you can't pay me $5 for nearly a week, you shouldn't be buying this thing and ought to get your financial house in order.

This happened to me before with an ebay transaction. Only I kept waiting for the buyer to pay me so I could ship the item. Finally contacted them for payment and she gave me the same line about having to wait a couple days. It's bizarre to me to go shopping for random things online when one doesn't even have $5!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1078 on: July 19, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »
Quote from: Kris link=topic=100495.msg2418161#msg2418161

I'm on the same page as Kris.  I used to have nine bookcases of books, then downsized.  Funnily enough, even when I downsized to a single bookcase, guests would often comment, "Wow, you must read a lot."

For the past few years I've downsized even further -- my Kindle books now greatly outnumber the remaining (< 100) physical books.

My last move, done solo, took me literally less than 2 hours. ;-)

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1079 on: July 19, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »

I'm on the same page as Kris.  I used to have nine bookcases of books, then downsized.  Funnily enough, even when I downsized to a single bookcase, guests would often comment, "Wow, you must read a lot."

For the past few years I've downsized even further -- my Kindle books now greatly outnumber the remaining (< 100) physical books.

My book problem is that most of the books I still have are old, not on Kindle or massively expensive on Kindle,. and not at the library.  So I keep them.  I have probably downsized by 1/3, and books are still a major move issue.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Stubble
« Reply #1080 on: July 19, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »

I've got 4 bookshelves of books but mostly cookbooks, guidebooks and mementos from childhood. I read about 100 books a year so instead of buying them I take them out of the library and make a generous donation each year.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:01:43 PM by Fi(re) on the Farm »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1081 on: July 19, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
We've culled out a lot of our books.

We're down to 35 bookshelves that are overfilled.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1082 on: July 19, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »
I just went through a huge box of books that's been at my parents' house since I packed it in 1992. I kept three of the books and brought the rest to a local charity. I read one of the three books while I was there, and brought two home. I feel like I got rid of a lot of books, but I actually increased the number of books in our house by two :)

I really will start donating books soon, though. I have at least 5,000 paperbacks, most of which I can get rid of at this point.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #1083 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:44 AM »
I average 200 books/year and I thank God & technology for library ebooks.  If I had to buy them all, I'd be broke.  If I had to have them all in paper, I'd need a second house just for storage.  But there is something uniquely soul-satisfying about having well-filled bookshelves at hand.

kina

• Stubble
« Reply #1084 on: July 20, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »
I sell stuff on ebay. Just yesterday I got a request "will you sell this for $5 but I can't pay you until Saturday. Is that ok?"

I almost always, as I did in this case, say yes, because I have never had anyone who asks up front give me a problem.

But I think, really, if you can't pay me $5 for nearly a week, you shouldn't be buying this thing and ought to get your financial house in order.

This happened to me before with an ebay transaction. Only I kept waiting for the buyer to pay me so I could ship the item. Finally contacted them for payment and she gave me the same line about having to wait a couple days. It's bizarre to me to go shopping for random things online when one doesn't even have $5!
Follow up: she paid me a day early. If she hadn't paid me on time (on Friday) I would have opened an unpaid item without further ado. (which still gives the buyer 4 more days to pay)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1085 on: July 20, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »

Follow up: she paid me a day early. If she hadn't paid me on time (on Friday) I would have opened an unpaid item without further ado. (which still gives the buyer 4 more days to pay)

I guess this system is a throwback to when people would send you a check in the mail (yes that happened).  These days Iím surprised there isnít an option to require immediate authorization/payment to submit your bid/order.  Maybe there is... seems ridiculous to wait days before someone enters their credit card number or direct debit online

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1086 on: July 20, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »

Here was my method for gradually culling my books.

First, move half the books into the pile of books to be donated.  Then
take the remaining half and repeat until the final pile is of the appropriate
size for your goals.  I did this over a period of years as my comfort level
of culling increased. Parting with old friends can be tough.

The advantage with this approach (for me, at least) is that I could move
books back and forth between piles; I didn't get overwhelmed with each
individual decision. Still, it was somewhat time-consuming.

Almost all my new books are electronic, unless I've pre-planned to give
away a hardcopy book after I've read it.

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1087 on: July 20, 2019, 06:53:31 PM »
My most recent book culling occurred when I met with a running group outside the public library (with a book donation table), I emptied out a good to book cases by bringing in a bag a week.  As I kept looking at the books each week I did keep finding ones that I could let go.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1088 on: July 21, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »

That's about the size of our local library.

We have several hundred books too. I'd donate them to the library if I thought they would be there when I was ready to read them again. Our library has book sales of materials that aren't used frequently.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1089 on: July 22, 2019, 02:01:34 AM »

We have several hundred books too. I'd donate them to the library if I thought they would be there when I was ready to read them again. Our library has book sales of materials that aren't used frequently.

It would be much easier to give away books if there was a way too read them again later. I tend to re -read books a lot and many of the ones I own are hard to find.

There's also the issue that many people seem to want to get rid of books, so many actually that very few thrift stores in my town still accept them - or accept them and then sell them as waste paper to be recycled.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1090 on: July 22, 2019, 07:59:12 AM »

It would be much easier to give away books if there was a way too read them again later. I tend to re -read books a lot and many of the ones I own are hard to find.

There's also the issue that many people seem to want to get rid of books, so many actually that very few thrift stores in my town still accept them - or accept them and then sell them as waste paper to be recycled.

I'm a rereader. I don't get rid of books that I know I'll be reading again. If you have a problem with my book collection, that's your problem. Not mine.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1091 on: July 22, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »

I'm a rereader. I don't get rid of books that I know I'll be reading again. If you have a problem with my book collection, that's your problem. Not mine.

Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I meant to say 35 book cases, each composed of many shelves.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1092 on: July 22, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I both revere and pity you.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1093 on: July 22, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

Some people are book lovers, some are bibliophiles.  Me, I'm a book slut.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #1094 on: July 22, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

Some people are book lovers, some are bibliophiles.  Me, I'm a book slut.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1095 on: July 22, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I'm pretty sure my house's foundation would begin to settle if I stored that many books.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1096 on: July 22, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I'm jealous.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1097 on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I'm pretty sure my house's foundation would begin to settle if I stored that many books.

The last time my parents moved, the movers put all the boxes of books in one room, and the floor structure did need repair for the sagging.

Apparently it's hereditary...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1098 on: July 22, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

The last time my parents moved, the movers put all the boxes of books in one room, and the floor structure did need repair for the sagging.

Apparently it's hereditary...
We've hired folks to verify the foundation could handle it in the past.  Now we know what to look for and DIY. :)

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1099 on: July 22, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »
I'd love to see your collection. What is your library collection like? History? Novels? Photography? DIY?