Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1112822 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #1050 on: July 16, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
misery for money is the shittiest bargain.

Cross-stitch this in a sampler and frame it on the wall!

It can go next to my 'if they don't have any books, don't fuck 'em' cross-stitch. #havestandards

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1051 on: July 16, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »

Though I must admit, I also sometimes look to see if I can get something nicer...for less than what I am currently paying.

Why? Isn’t that lifestyle creep?

Mustachian lifestyle creep. :P  (is that even a thing?)

Ya, it's when you look at the thermostat and say, "78? huh, feels like 76. Maybe I'll turn it up to 79"

HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG I am dying here laughing!!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: July 16, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »

And to be excessively clear: I'd much, much rather live in a small cheap apartment alone or with someone I love and trust than in a big house with someone I can't love or trust. Fuck the monetary costs of divorce. Money is a tool, not an end, and misery for money is the shittiest bargain.

So true. And yet I know a few people sitting in their vast expensive home wishing it was larger so they did not have to accidentally see their spouse at all.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1053 on: July 16, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »

It can go next to my 'if they don't have any books, don't fuck 'em' cross-stitch. #havestandards

Then my wife and I would be irresistible to you!  :)   #LeaveNoBookBehind

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1054 on: July 16, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »

I only read books from the library so nobody will fuck me.  #MPP

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1055 on: July 16, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »

So marrying a librarian would be a good thing - right?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1056 on: July 16, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »

Eek! What about people like me who used to have literal hundreds of books but then gave them all up for a more minimalist lifestyle? Like, the last time I moved house, I hired professional movers, and when they came in, they looked around at my furniture, etc., and said, "Oh, this should be an easy move -- you don't have that much stuff."

Fast forward to many hours later, after they had moved like the twentieth paper ream box of books. By this point, they had long stopped talking to me, and their sullen, fixed expressions told me they were feeling a special kind of hatred for me.

I did tip them well, at least. But I don't think it was enough.

Today, though, if you came to my house, you'd probably be struck by the number of books I don't have.

My Kindle app on my iPad, though... well, that's another story...

ETA: I am not suggesting you should fuck me. Because that's just awkward and rude...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: July 16, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »

Eek! What about people like me who used to have literal hundreds of books but then gave them all up for a more minimalist lifestyle? Like, the last time I moved house, I hired professional movers, and when they came in, they looked around at my furniture, etc., and said, "Oh, this should be an easy move -- you don't have that much stuff."

Fast forward to many hours later, after they had moved like the twentieth paper ream box of books. By this point, they had long stopped talking to me, and their sullen, fixed expressions told me they were feeling a special kind of hatred for me.

Today, though, if you came to my house, you'd probably be struck by the number of books I don't have.

ETA: I am not suggesting you should fuck me. Because that's just awkward and rude...

I mean, I personally feel at home and cocooned when surrounded by books, and that makes me happy, so while I applaud your desires and commitment to have the lifestyle you prefer, it would probably not be compatible with my personal preferences. How's that for tactful? :)

Now to ruin the tact ENTIRELY:

... unless you started a really interesting conversation about mutually-loved fantasy novels, in which case I'm all ears (for the record: I have never picked up in a bar. I've picked up in the sci-fi section of the bookstore... more than once. I'm consistent in my opinions.)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1058 on: July 16, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »

I mean, I personally feel at home and cocooned when surrounded by books, and that makes me happy, so while I applaud your desires and commitment to have the lifestyle you prefer, it would probably not be compatible with my personal preferences. How's that for tactful? :)

You saw he was hitting on you too, was it when he said a "hundreds of books" :-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1059 on: July 17, 2019, 12:15:35 AM »
If you want to pick me up, the library is also a good place. If you use the one in my home it's even easier!

btw. the pinnacle of romance:
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/437516-you-should-date-a-girl-who-reads-date-a-girl

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1060 on: July 17, 2019, 12:40:33 AM »

You saw he was hitting on you too, was it when he said a "hundreds of books" :-)

SPLOOSH

TexanInBavaria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1061 on: July 17, 2019, 02:56:10 AM »

Though I must admit, I also sometimes look to see if I can get something nicer...for less than what I am currently paying.

Why? Isn’t that lifestyle creep?

Mustachian lifestyle creep. :P  (is that even a thing?)

Getting nicer stuff makes it harder to go back to shittier stuff.  Even when I DIY a bunch of stuff and spend almost nothing, my lifestyle is increasing.  So IMO yeah.

Obtaining one disproportionately nice thing causing you to feel compelled to upgrade other things around it has been called Diderot effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect

I'm surprised that MMM never wrote a post about that, because it's a way that an otherwise sustainable lifestyle can be thrown into a spiral of consumption.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: July 17, 2019, 07:55:42 AM »
I'm surprised that MMM never wrote a post about that, because it's a way that an otherwise sustainable lifestyle can be thrown into a spiral of consumption.

Oh, honey

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/22/what-is-hedonic-adaptation-and-how-can-it-turn-you-into-a-sukka/

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1063 on: July 18, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »

And to be excessively clear: I'd much, much rather live in a small cheap apartment alone or with someone I love and trust than in a big house with someone I can't love or trust. Fuck the monetary costs of divorce. Money is a tool, not an end, and misery for money is the shittiest bargain.

So true. And yet I know a few people sitting in their vast expensive home wishing it was larger so they did not have to accidentally see their spouse at all.

This whole discussion reminds me of this article that was posted in EPIC FU Money Stories:

https://www.thebillfold.com/2016/01/a-story-of-a-fuck-off-fund/

Not condoning cheating on spouses at all, but you gotta recognize that the woman was in a fragile situation to begin.  Fragility comes with risks...

onward19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1064 on: July 18, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
I sell stuff on ebay. Just yesterday I got a request "will you sell this for $5 but I can't pay you until Saturday. Is that ok?"

I almost always, as I did in this case, say yes, because I have never had anyone who asks up front give me a problem.

But I think, really, if you can't pay me $5 for nearly a week, you shouldn't be buying this thing and ought to get your financial house in order.

This happened to me before with an ebay transaction. Only I kept waiting for the buyer to pay me so I could ship the item. Finally contacted them for payment and she gave me the same line about having to wait a couple days. It's bizarre to me to go shopping for random things online when one doesn't even have $5!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1065 on: July 19, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »
Quote from: Kris link=topic=100495.msg2418161#msg2418161

I'm on the same page as Kris.  I used to have nine bookcases of books, then downsized.  Funnily enough, even when I downsized to a single bookcase, guests would often comment, "Wow, you must read a lot."

For the past few years I've downsized even further -- my Kindle books now greatly outnumber the remaining (< 100) physical books.

My last move, done solo, took me literally less than 2 hours. ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1066 on: July 19, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »

I'm on the same page as Kris.  I used to have nine bookcases of books, then downsized.  Funnily enough, even when I downsized to a single bookcase, guests would often comment, "Wow, you must read a lot."

For the past few years I've downsized even further -- my Kindle books now greatly outnumber the remaining (< 100) physical books.

My book problem is that most of the books I still have are old, not on Kindle or massively expensive on Kindle,. and not at the library.  So I keep them.  I have probably downsized by 1/3, and books are still a major move issue.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #1067 on: July 19, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »

I've got 4 bookshelves of books but mostly cookbooks, guidebooks and mementos from childhood. I read about 100 books a year so instead of buying them I take them out of the library and make a generous donation each year.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:01:43 PM by Fi(re) on the Farm »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1068 on: July 19, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
We've culled out a lot of our books.

We're down to 35 bookshelves that are overfilled.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1069 on: July 19, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »
I just went through a huge box of books that's been at my parents' house since I packed it in 1992. I kept three of the books and brought the rest to a local charity. I read one of the three books while I was there, and brought two home. I feel like I got rid of a lot of books, but I actually increased the number of books in our house by two :)

I really will start donating books soon, though. I have at least 5,000 paperbacks, most of which I can get rid of at this point.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #1070 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:44 AM »
I average 200 books/year and I thank God & technology for library ebooks.  If I had to buy them all, I'd be broke.  If I had to have them all in paper, I'd need a second house just for storage.  But there is something uniquely soul-satisfying about having well-filled bookshelves at hand.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #1071 on: July 20, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »
I sell stuff on ebay. Just yesterday I got a request "will you sell this for $5 but I can't pay you until Saturday. Is that ok?"

I almost always, as I did in this case, say yes, because I have never had anyone who asks up front give me a problem.

But I think, really, if you can't pay me $5 for nearly a week, you shouldn't be buying this thing and ought to get your financial house in order.

This happened to me before with an ebay transaction. Only I kept waiting for the buyer to pay me so I could ship the item. Finally contacted them for payment and she gave me the same line about having to wait a couple days. It's bizarre to me to go shopping for random things online when one doesn't even have $5!
Follow up: she paid me a day early. If she hadn't paid me on time (on Friday) I would have opened an unpaid item without further ado. (which still gives the buyer 4 more days to pay)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1072 on: July 20, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »

Follow up: she paid me a day early. If she hadn't paid me on time (on Friday) I would have opened an unpaid item without further ado. (which still gives the buyer 4 more days to pay)

I guess this system is a throwback to when people would send you a check in the mail (yes that happened).  These days I’m surprised there isn’t an option to require immediate authorization/payment to submit your bid/order.  Maybe there is... seems ridiculous to wait days before someone enters their credit card number or direct debit online

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: July 20, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »

Here was my method for gradually culling my books.

First, move half the books into the pile of books to be donated.  Then
take the remaining half and repeat until the final pile is of the appropriate
size for your goals.  I did this over a period of years as my comfort level
of culling increased. Parting with old friends can be tough.

The advantage with this approach (for me, at least) is that I could move
books back and forth between piles; I didn't get overwhelmed with each
individual decision. Still, it was somewhat time-consuming.

Almost all my new books are electronic, unless I've pre-planned to give
away a hardcopy book after I've read it.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1074 on: July 20, 2019, 06:53:31 PM »
My most recent book culling occurred when I met with a running group outside the public library (with a book donation table), I emptied out a good to book cases by bringing in a bag a week.  As I kept looking at the books each week I did keep finding ones that I could let go.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1075 on: July 21, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »

That's about the size of our local library.

We have several hundred books too. I'd donate them to the library if I thought they would be there when I was ready to read them again. Our library has book sales of materials that aren't used frequently.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1076 on: July 22, 2019, 02:01:34 AM »

We have several hundred books too. I'd donate them to the library if I thought they would be there when I was ready to read them again. Our library has book sales of materials that aren't used frequently.

It would be much easier to give away books if there was a way too read them again later. I tend to re -read books a lot and many of the ones I own are hard to find.

There's also the issue that many people seem to want to get rid of books, so many actually that very few thrift stores in my town still accept them - or accept them and then sell them as waste paper to be recycled.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1077 on: July 22, 2019, 07:59:12 AM »

It would be much easier to give away books if there was a way too read them again later. I tend to re -read books a lot and many of the ones I own are hard to find.

There's also the issue that many people seem to want to get rid of books, so many actually that very few thrift stores in my town still accept them - or accept them and then sell them as waste paper to be recycled.

I'm a rereader. I don't get rid of books that I know I'll be reading again. If you have a problem with my book collection, that's your problem. Not mine.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1078 on: July 22, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »

I'm a rereader. I don't get rid of books that I know I'll be reading again. If you have a problem with my book collection, that's your problem. Not mine.

Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I meant to say 35 book cases, each composed of many shelves.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1079 on: July 22, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I both revere and pity you.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1080 on: July 22, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

Some people are book lovers, some are bibliophiles.  Me, I'm a book slut.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1081 on: July 22, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

Some people are book lovers, some are bibliophiles.  Me, I'm a book slut.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1082 on: July 22, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I'm pretty sure my house's foundation would begin to settle if I stored that many books.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: July 22, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I'm jealous.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1084 on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

I'm pretty sure my house's foundation would begin to settle if I stored that many books.

The last time my parents moved, the movers put all the boxes of books in one room, and the floor structure did need repair for the sagging.

Apparently it's hereditary...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1085 on: July 22, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
Oh, my, I misspoke.

I said 35 bookshelves.

The last time my parents moved, the movers put all the boxes of books in one room, and the floor structure did need repair for the sagging.

Apparently it's hereditary...
We've hired folks to verify the foundation could handle it in the past.  Now we know what to look for and DIY. :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1086 on: July 22, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »
I'd love to see your collection. What is your library collection like? History? Novels? Photography? DIY?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1087 on: July 22, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
I'd love to see your collection. What is your library collection like? History? Novels? Photography? DIY?
Pretty eclectic.

Novels: SciFi, Fantasy, Historical Fiction.

Reference works:  Ancient and Medieval History, World History, Pottery - esp Islamic, Byzantine and Medieval British Isles, Metalworking and Jewelry, Info Tech,  Art, Military Science,  Wargames, DIY books on most of the above.   Most of these simply can't be found at the local library because they are much too specialized.   We probably have one of the best libraries on Byzantine and medieval Islamic pottery in the hemisphere.   (We used to make a lot of reproduction pottery and I'm hoping that will happen again.)   Even copies of the two books my wife wrote, the one book I wrote, the published report to the US Government's Base Realignment and Closure commission I wrote most of (and edited the rest of), and a bunch of journals I edited or was published in.  Not a lot of programmers get assigned to write most of an official government report on behalf of one of the military branches so I'm pretty proud of that.   (And I've just outed myself to maybe half a dozen people in the nation with that confession.)

And just other interesting stuff, like some books on how to learn to read Latin that are so well written that they work really well with no other teacher despite being written totally in Latin.  Think about that for a moment.   That's some good writing.

Time to cull another bookshelf or two.  I think the ancient Roman sections are likely to get culled down.  We're not doing much with that area anymore.  Plus the information technology books.   

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1088 on: July 22, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »

And just other interesting stuff, like some books on how to learn to read Latin that are so well written that they work really well with no other teacher despite being written totally in Latin.  Think about that for a moment.   That's some good writing.

What is this book? I'm interested!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1089 on: July 22, 2019, 07:23:46 PM »
I desperately want to raid the fiction and pottery libraries, omg. *swoon*

theskyisblue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1090 on: July 22, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
As devastated as she was, she never should have gotten a divorce.  Everyone is going to make mistakes.
Bringing a prostitute into the marital bed was not a 'mistake'. It was a betrayal.
It was a betrayal but it was also incredibly stupid because why in the world would anyone lease an depreciating asset?  Especially when any intelligent, decent person can have a much better version of the same experience for free?  The prostitute was obviously the last straw in their ongoing argument about appropriate spending priorities.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1091 on: July 22, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
As devastated as she was, she never should have gotten a divorce.  Everyone is going to make mistakes.
Bringing a prostitute into the marital bed was not a 'mistake'. It was a betrayal.
It was a betrayal but it was also incredibly stupid because why in the world would anyone lease an depreciating asset?  Especially when any intelligent, decent person can have a much better version of the same experience for free?  The prostitute was obviously the last straw in their ongoing argument about appropriate spending priorities.

Wow, I was way off. Makes more sense now.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1092 on: July 22, 2019, 10:20:37 PM »

It is for the new car smell, obviously

januarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1093 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
I work for a company that offers an unpaid 3-month sabbatical option to employees with 5 years of service (benefits being, your job is secure & they continue to cover your health insurance etc. during these 3 months but you just don't get paid your normal salary). I haven't worked there for 5 years yet, but I was having lunch the other day with a (young ~30 year old, single, healthy) colleague who has, and he mentioned that he is eligible for a sabbatical and wants to take one due to burnout, but is hesitating because he "needs to make money/can't afford to take 3 months off". I know for a fact based on his job title/tenure that he makes at least $100K so this was baffling to me.

I mean, granted, we live in a high COL area (LA) but if you knew this was something you wanted to do and could plan in advance, it would be super easy to do cheaply.. so what the heck is this guy doing with his six figure salary the rest of the time??

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1094 on: July 22, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »
I have a friend like that who started his career at the same time I did, with the same job title and level. Our careers have diverged a bit but I have mostly had a good idea of what he makes due to similarities. He has pretty much always spent everything from what I can gather. Granted now he has a wife who stays at home with their kids while we remained a two income household, but he said before that they don’t have savings for a down payment if/when they grow out of their current place and aren’t doing anything about saving up one. Their plan is to inherit her parents’ house nearby as she is an only child. That is reasonable to expect, though the timeline is naturally uncertain. Meanwhile we should be reaching our number next year, market gods be willing.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1095 on: July 23, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »
I think we need to start a separate thread where we can all show off and discuss our private libraries.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: July 23, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
I think we need to start a separate thread where we can all show off and discuss our private libraries.

post the link here, so all of us book braggarts can join in.
(Smallish library, offset by geek factor)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1097 on: July 23, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »

It is for the new car smell, obviously
That car was probably well used.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1098 on: July 23, 2019, 10:47:15 AM »
New-to-him though

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1099 on: July 23, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »

We need a hooker vs. dating finance calculator (like rent vs. own)