Author Topic: Outsourcing your Christmas Decorations  (Read 5398 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Outsourcing your Christmas Decorations
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
I was gobsmacked this morning when I read an article http://www.canberratimes.com.au/victoria/santa-isnt-the-only-busy-one-families-outsource-decorating-of-the-christmas-tree-20151210-glkfac.html about how people have too little time to even decorate their own Christmas Tree, so they hire someone else to do it.

Is this the ultimate in consumerism? Buying overpriced Christmas ornaments you use once a year, having a bigger house with extra storage space to store these things for the 11/12ths of the year that they aren't being used, having a bigger house so you can display said ornaments at the appropriate time, and then getting someone else to put them up and take them down?

Stashaholic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Outsourcing your Christmas Decorations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
That's just sad. A friend posted a picture of his house last week with lights outlining the roof and windows. It "only" cost $600 for someone to install it and includes take down in January. Apparently it's a much better deal than another guy's quote of $1100.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »
Maybe this kind of service could be something a person could capitalize on through Task Rabbit or the like.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »
Wow, I've just found my side gig. For $600 I'll go decorate someone's oversized house with decorations they buy and store themselves!

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:04:35 AM »
The rental market for Christmas lights has been strong in our neighborhood for years. Usually we get a neighborhood email about the service.

I can always tell which houses use it - they all have the same bland white Christmas lights perfectly hung.

Ours are more colorful. Actually, ours are still orange since we haven't gotten around to taking down the lights we put up for Halloween.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:23:42 AM »
Not just that, she is buying a SECOND tree to decorate with the family!

While Christmas purists treat decorating the tree as a special family occasion, she believes the same and will put up another tree, although half the size, for everyone to decorate. "That's the fun part: arguing which bauble is going where," she said.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »

Is this the ultimate in consumerism? Buying overpriced Christmas ornaments you use once a year, having a bigger house with extra storage space to store these things for the 11/12ths of the year that they aren't being used, having a bigger house so you can display said ornaments at the appropriate time, and then getting someone else to put them up and take them down?

Ok, the "paying someone to do it for you" bit is ridiculous (and thinking back on my childhood, I have SUCH great memories of putting up the tree decorations with my family... The process is important, not just having it up!

That said: ornaments and the like don't have to be expensive. We have a few strings of lights (LED, so our power bill doesn't fluctuate much), and maybe 3 or 4 ornaments and a box of glass balls that were store-bought (less than 30$, 5 years ago). The rest is cinnamon ornaments, dried slices or oranges (look beautiful in the light), tiny toy animals that we got at flea markets and painted white and put hooks in... And once the season is over, everything fits in one (mid-sized) rubbermaid bin and gets tucked in the back of the closet under the stairs, which is our only storage space. Christmas decorating doesn't have to be all that money and space intensive to be pretty and fun with family!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
Wow, I've just found my side gig. For $600 I'll go decorate someone's oversized house with decorations they buy and store themselves!

I have a family member that does pays for this service.  My correction is: they do store them as well.  And it's the perfect hook.  They've made custom light strings for YOUR HOUSE that you paid for.  And you don't have them in your possession.  But if you pay them again next year, they'll bring them back. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »
Note one of her reasons:  It's a large room (I think she used the word "grand") and requires a large tree. 

One more reason to choose a modest house. 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 09:20:36 PM »
Good grief.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 02:32:14 AM »
Note one of her reasons:  It's a large room (I think she used the word "grand") and requires a large tree. 

One more reason to be Jewish.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:21:28 AM »

True, a small set of lights is easier than a big Christmas tree, but those eight days of presents would add up. 

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
Yep my BIL pays thousands to have outside lights hung.  His friend who lives in the same neighborhood pays $5000 to have lights hung outside. I got nothing. It's nuts.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »

If you pay me six hundred bucks I'll be happy to set up your menorah for you.  :D

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:47 PM »
That's just sad. A friend posted a picture of his house last week with lights outlining the roof and windows. It "only" cost $600 for someone to install it and includes take down in January. Apparently it's a much better deal than another guy's quote of $1100.

My next door neighbor's Christmas lights are like that, but his was only $500!  :-D  Most of our neighbors hired people to do theirs, and my next door neighbor's was the cheapest.  We only have DIY Christmas lights, and I like ours better than their $500 one.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!