Author Topic: Or you could, you know, spend less money  (Read 4326 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Or you could, you know, spend less money
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »
More tripe from market watch. This one is about mental tricks to put up with a job you hate.

Spoiler: show
Spoiler: no, they don't mention spending less money

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/how-to-outlast-a-job-you-hate-until-you-can-retire/ar-AAyXYzp?li=BBnbfcN

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
Re: Or you could, you know, spend less money
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »
Interestingly, the link mid article is this:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-early-retirement-is-all-its-cracked-up-to-be-2018-05-15

A very mustachian perspective.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »
Huh, I didn't notice that at first.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »
Actually, I think it's pretty good advice, and applies directly to my own situation. I have enough money to retire right now, but if I can gut it out until my 55th birthday, I qualify for a very attractive benefit: lifetime coverage on MegaCorp's healthcare plan (as long as I pay the premiums). And I can add my spouse years from now.

So to trudge through the next 15+ months until that magical birthday, I play all kinds of mental games to bolster my mood. I count down the months, weeks and days remaining. I surf sites like MMM to ease the boredom. I daydream about my ever-growing list of projects. Whatever it takes. And I'm almost there.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
I don't love my job but I know that right now, with childcare  responsibilities, it is the best place for me. Another decade of stashing it away will result in a paid off mortgage, a child free nest, and a whack of assets that can compound away quietly for the next 20 years. Then I can find a job I love