Author Topic: Oh, the hilarity of the Target Lily Pulitzer debacle  (Read 9665 times)

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
Oh, the hilarity of the Target Lily Pulitzer debacle
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
I had no idea this was even a thing, but apparently Target ran a limited collection of Lily junk that led to a black friday-like mobbing and beat down, and crashing of Target's web site.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lilly-pulitzers-flower-power-overwhelms-target/

Of course, now everything is up on eBay for huge markups.

Really? The best thing people have to do with a Sunday morning is either stay up all night to fight with a crashing website, or go to a store and get caught in a mob just for some (IMO ugly) clothes? Of course I know how and why this works... Slap the notion of limited-ness and exclusiveness on anything and people will kill to get it. Idiots.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Oh, the hilarity of the Target Lily Pulitzer debacle
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
Feeling lucky I wasn't mobbed when I went to Target Sunday! I had no idea this was happening!

deirdre08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
I had no idea this was even a thing, but apparently Target ran a limited collection of Lily junk that led to a black friday-like mobbing and beat down, and crashing of Target's web site.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lilly-pulitzers-flower-power-overwhelms-target/

Of course, now everything is up on eBay for huge markups.

Really? The best thing people have to do with a Sunday morning is either stay up all night to fight with a crashing website, or go to a store and get caught in a mob just for some (IMO ugly) clothes? Of course I know how and why this works... Slap the notion of limited-ness and exclusiveness on anything and people will kill to get it. Idiots.

Not the first times this has happened. I remember when they first tried this with a high end designer (can't recall which one) everything was sold out within hours of opening.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
I saw this on the news today. Those clothes look like shit. Anyone else think so?

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Good God, those are some ugly clothes.*

*In my humble, fashion-oblivious opinion.

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
I wasn't familiar with the brand either, had to google it. These clothes kind of remind me of Vera Bradley handbags, in the sense that they look like home sewing projects. Anyone with intermediate sewing skills could easily make what I saw, with the benefit of using less garish prints ; )

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »
Yeah, I don't get it either.

Are loose fitting draw string pants back in style? (http://www.target.com/p/lilly-pulitzer-for-target-women-s-palazzo-pant-boom-boom/-/A-16930749#prodSlot=large_1_17)  I used to live in those in the summer but stopped wearing them, because they seemed old fashioned. The only place I could find them recently was in the old lady section at Kohls or JC Penney.

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
I don't see what all the fuss is about personally.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:05:03 PM »
I always found Lilly to be old lady resort/cruise ship wear. That said one of my coworkers, who is younger than me likes it.

But yes Justajane after the skinny craze of the past few years wider leg pants are coming back. I have some wrap pants I wear a lot and always get a ton of compliments. But they are basically stylish pjs. Lol

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
I thought the same thing, they are so ugly!!

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »
So glad I'm not the only one.  I also never heard of this designer before this Target deal, but I thought I read that she designs cruise wear.  Which is another oddity - do people actually go and buy a whole new wardrobe for the week they spend on a cruise ship?  I like to cruise, but I just pack from the summer dresses that are in my closet...

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
Those are some ugly ass clothes.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
So glad I'm not the only one.  I also never heard of this designer before this Target deal, but I thought I read that she designs cruise wear.  Which is another oddity - do people actually go and buy a whole new wardrobe for the week they spend on a cruise ship?  I like to cruise, but I just pack from the summer dresses that are in my closet...

Yes, some people will buy whole new mini wardrobe for their cruise and only wear it on that one cruise just so they can fawn over how cute they looked in the pictures. They don't really wear these clothes again because they are "vacation style" clothes.

lise

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
The first target designer collaboration was in 2011 with Missoni with the same craziness.  I actually got a couple of outfits as gifts for my nieces (then 5 and 2) two weeks after the madness, due to returns.  I happened to be in Target and the outfits were cute (cardigan and skirt each). 

I was glad to see a recent photos of two other nieces (now 6 and 3) in the outfits.  So that particular collection lasted well quality wise. 

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »

Yes, some people will buy whole new mini wardrobe for their cruise and only wear it on that one cruise just so they can fawn over how cute they looked in the pictures. They don't really wear these clothes again because they are "vacation style" clothes.

I will say that I noticed some older folks in what I would consider "loud" clothing, but I presumed it was due to their age, and not because they went out and bought a whole new set of clothing for the week!  Wow...

When I plan a cruise, I look at every cost in terms of how long it will get me to the next cruise.  An extra $400 to move to a balcony?  But that gets me 40% of the way to another cruise!  Even a mini-wardrobe, that's got to be 50% of the cost of another cruise.  I'd rather spend another relaxing week on a ship, than have special clothes for once I get on said ship...

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 05:19:55 AM »
Having attended university south of the Mason Dixon line, this doesn't surprise me all that much.  I saw a lot of Lilly Pulitzer (didn't know what it was at the time), especially on the day of the annual steeplechase horse race.  What an expensive shit show that day always was!

I kind of wish I was with it enough to be one of the people selling all that junk for a huge markup on ebay, though.  Makin' money on the brainless masses of twentysomething white chicks.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
Having attended university south of the Mason Dixon line, this doesn't surprise me all that much.  I saw a lot of Lilly Pulitzer (didn't know what it was at the time), especially on the day of the annual steeplechase horse race.  What an expensive shit show that day always was!

Yeah, it kinda looks like old lady clothes to me but definitely seems to be a hit with southern sorority girls.

I like hilariously tacky brightly colored things, so I actually kinda dig it (although it's super overpriced), but I didn't know there were so many other people out there who liked dressing like weirdos...?

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »

I will say that I noticed some older folks in what I would consider "loud" clothing, but I presumed it was due to their age, and not because they went out and bought a whole new set of clothing for the week!  Wow...

When I plan a cruise, I look at every cost in terms of how long it will get me to the next cruise.  An extra $400 to move to a balcony?  But that gets me 40% of the way to another cruise!  Even a mini-wardrobe, that's got to be 50% of the cost of another cruise.  I'd rather spend another relaxing week on a ship, than have special clothes for once I get on said ship...

Next time you go on a cruise try commenting on how cute somebody's loud outfit is. Often they will tell you they bought it for the cruise. They don't intend to wear it at home because it's too touristy.

I like to cruise too. I learned pretty quickly that I'm barely in my room when I'm on a cruise. I don't get sea sickness. So I just get the cheap no portal room. I remember someone complaining about how expensive their cruise was when they took the same cruise as me. They paid for all the upgrades. They also ate in the pay restaurants every day. They said they didn't want to eat the free food because they went on this trip to pamper themselves. I don't get it. I felt like I had already paid for the included 'free' food. Eating in the pay restaurants is like giving up the food I already paid to eat, and you're also paying more than it would cost to eat in the same type restaurant on shore. Yet, the pay restaurants are always packed.

Also on the next to last day when it's time to settle the bill you'll find a lot of people sharing their woes of how high the bill was. They let you pay for all your extras with your room key card for a reason. They claim it's for security and convenience. But, people spend even more money when it's being paid with a room key instead of a credit card or cash.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
I have heard of Lily Pulitzer before, she has a stand alone store in the big mega mall here (this is the south). the reason they got mobbed is that she sells exactly the same sort of stuff for 2-3x in her stores. It is southern preppy basically. Actually some of the bags and house furnishings I liked, but if you search well you can find similar things in the thrift store from the 70's for a song.

I kind of want to go on a cruise but these stories are kind of scaring me.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »

Next time you go on a cruise try commenting on how cute somebody's loud outfit is. Often they will tell you they bought it for the cruise. They don't intend to wear it at home because it's too touristy.

I like to cruise too. I learned pretty quickly that I'm barely in my room when I'm on a cruise. I don't get sea sickness. So I just get the cheap no portal room. I remember someone complaining about how expensive their cruise was when they took the same cruise as me. They paid for all the upgrades. They also ate in the pay restaurants every day. They said they didn't want to eat the free food because they went on this trip to pamper themselves. I don't get it. I felt like I had already paid for the included 'free' food. Eating in the pay restaurants is like giving up the food I already paid to eat, and you're also paying more than it would cost to eat in the same type restaurant on shore. Yet, the pay restaurants are always packed.

Also on the next to last day when it's time to settle the bill you'll find a lot of people sharing their woes of how high the bill was. They let you pay for all your extras with your room key card for a reason. They claim it's for security and convenience. But, people spend even more money when it's being paid with a room key instead of a credit card or cash.

Yeah I like cruises and honestly they aren't that bad. We smuggled in rum, some of us paid for the unlimited soda thing and so would just smuggle down as much soda as we could to pregame. The food is already paid for and so we pigged out.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »

Yeah I like cruises and honestly they aren't that bad. We smuggled in rum, some of us paid for the unlimited soda thing and so would just smuggle down as much soda as we could to pregame. The food is already paid for and so we pigged out.
I've gotten some deals where it made sense to go with a balcony, but the majority of the time, I pick the cheapest inside I can find.  I love how people always say, once you travel with a balcony, you'll never go back to inside!  Yeah, no.  There are always quiet and serene areas on the ship, if you look hard enough for them.  I've had the balcony experience ruined by other cruisers who smoked, got drunk and were generally loud.  Oh please, let me pay more money to experience that again!

I've made optimizing the value on a cruise one of my specialties, and my bill on the last day is pretty paltry, and that's the way I like it.  I've gotten vouchers for the specialty dining, and I guess the service is a bit better, but the food?  Not so much.  I have no issue with all the ways cruises nickel and dime though - plenty of people willing to pamper themselves and rack up those bills, which in turn keeps the cabin rates pretty cheap for me! 

I'm a few cruises short of gold status w/Norwegian, but I think they have figured us out by now - we keep it pretty frugal, and they don't like that.  That's OK, b/c last few cruises, I feel they are falling short, or maybe I've cruised too much now.  I have one more credit voucher with them, but the idea of a staycation seems more appealing in the short term.  Damn mustachianism!  LOL ;)

Trimatty471

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 06:46:40 PM »
I love the inside cabins also.  Cool, dark, and quiet.  Makes for good sleeping.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »

I've always worn the clothes I already own on a cruise.

If you can resist the overpriced drinks, cruises are incredibly affordable.  And I like a balcony.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
What kills me about incidents such as this is that people complain that Target should have done something differently. Honestly, my guess is that they had a limit per customer and beyond that, there isn't really much you can do. This isn't like Wal-mart Black Friday where there was a stampede and someone died, get over yourself people! It's a frickin' dress, not the antidote to the poison you just drank.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
My daughter picked up a couple of Lily Pulitzer t-shirts at the thrift store last fall.  She liked them because they had a palm tree on them - one bright pink, one lime green.  Perfect for an 8 year old.  Not so good for an old person like me.  And, they seem nicely made, wash well, but I wouldn't spend more than 3 bucks for one.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »

I've always worn the clothes I already own on a cruise.

If you can resist the overpriced drinks, cruises are incredibly affordable.  And I like a balcony.

Cruises aren't bad if like the previous person said, avoid overpriced drinks. Also, I recommend not springing for a nicer room, each time I've gone on a cruise I've barely stayed in it besides sleeping and showering. Another advantage of a bad room is that it encourages you to get out and do things!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
Cruises aren't bad if like the previous person said, avoid overpriced drinks. Also, I recommend not springing for a nicer room, each time I've gone on a cruise I've barely stayed in it besides sleeping and showering. Another advantage of a bad room is that it encourages you to get out and do things!

We did a cruise a couple years back, it came in pretty darn cheap, but this was on the heels of Costa Concordia when they were giving away fares. As I recall... we managed to fly our family of 5 to Miami for $1200 - which included a one night stay in a Miami hotel. The cruise deal was $3500 - 5 of us shared one cabin. Thank Dog it had a balcony! Since we aren't big drinkers, all we had was a glass of wine at dinner, and 2 cocktails (in the whole week) on deck.

We never did any shore excursions, but we did rent a jeep on Grand Turk ($50) and made up our own excursion. Back in Miami we rented a car for $75 (I think) and hit the everglades for an airboat tour.

It ended up way cheaper than Disney or any other package we looked into for the family, but I bet we could have gone cheaper by driving to Florida and staying someplace beachfront and cooking our own food. Honestly though, on vacation the last thing I want to do is dishes!