Author Topic: NYT on nail salons  (Read 7711 times)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
NYT on nail salons
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:32:15 AM »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: NYT on nail salons
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:07:52 AM »
I went to a mall nail salon, once. That was all I needed: I walked out of there with my cuticles cut back so severely that they bled, and one of them got infected. Meanwhile, the fake nails they put on fell off after three days. Overall, I just don't believe there's an up side. It sounds to me as though the people applying the nail treatments are not being treated well either.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »
Wow, that was a long and interesting article!  Well worth the time I invested in it.  When I left NY for TX, it was the only thing I found to be more expensive out here.  Not that I ever get my nails done, I just like to pay attention to what stuff costs.

My mom insisted I get my nails done for my wedding, so I went to one of these salons in NY.  They did a great job, the workers really cared and worked hard at their task.  I just was never the type to care much about my nails, and on the rare occasion I apply polish, I just wind up picking it off on my own.

So sad to read about the continued exploitation of immigrants.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
That article was so sad.  I've never been in a nail salon--the one time in my life I ever did my nails was for my wedding and I did them myself--and now never will go in one.

lise

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
It's not very MMM to get a pedicure, but I treat myself during summer and they do a way better job than I can do.

I've known about what goes on for years - and it is sad (since I moved to NYC in 1998 - and prices have pretty much stayed the same since then).

I managed to find a great local place that treats their staff well.  There's hardly any turnover and they all laugh and get along - very unlike other places I tried before finding this place where the ambience can be a little sad.

My salon charges $10 for a manicure and $20 for a pedicure - this is more than other places nearby that charge $20 for both, but I would rather go here and I don't think they will lose many customers if they upped their prices a bit, but I think they are too scared too because of all the salons that are around now.  It's always busy with repeat customers.

So if you have a budget for nail treatment, I suggest making the effort to find an ethical place and to tip well.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 03:53:51 PM »
This is really sad. I've never had my nails done.  The exploitation of the employees is terrible.

It's interesting to me how the nail industry has grown, and how so many more people have it done.  But it's still so cheap.  Strange.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 05:52:51 PM »
I read a similar article recently about workers in Chinese restaurants in/around NYC and the east coast. Immigrants, particularly undocumented, are easily exploited, unfortunately.

It is a bit like paying $3 for a t-shirt - no way that a $10 manicure can be ethically produced.

No information in the article about how someone would locate a salon that isn't exploiting it's workers. Clearly, the expensive places with $40 manicures were exploiting the workers too.

I have never liked manicures and have given up pedicures w/ my mustachian makeover (hard to reach my toes as I get olders... but I can still sort of manage). I'd like to know, were I ever to indluge again in a pedi how to make sure the salon I go to isn't doing this. All the ladies who work there are immigrants and barely speak English - and I don't know of any place that has any other sort of person working in it.

lise

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »
NYT posted a follow up article: 3 Ways to Be a Socially Conscious Nail Salon Customer

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/08/nyregion/3-ways-to-be-a-socially-conscious-nail-salon-customer.html

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »
It's not very MMM to get a pedicure, but I treat myself during summer and they do a way better job than I can do.

I've known about what goes on for years - and it is sad (since I moved to NYC in 1998 - and prices have pretty much stayed the same since then).

I managed to find a great local place that treats their staff well.  There's hardly any turnover and they all laugh and get along - very unlike other places I tried before finding this place where the ambience can be a little sad.

My salon charges $10 for a manicure and $20 for a pedicure - this is more than other places nearby that charge $20 for both, but I would rather go here and I don't think they will lose many customers if they upped their prices a bit, but I think they are too scared too because of all the salons that are around now.  It's always busy with repeat customers.

So if you have a budget for nail treatment, I suggest making the effort to find an ethical place and to tip well.

Thanks for the interesting article post!

Wow, on the rare occasion I get a pedicure I pay around $30 for just that, to add a manicure (not sure as never get them, don't last) I think you pay $40-45. I'm a little shocked how cheap they can be in nyc, clearly they're underpaying workers as I'm sure they're paying higher rents also than places elsewhere.

I have also noticed that prices are the same or maybe lower because of things like groupon than years ago.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
I am female and old, and have never had nails or pedicure. For some reason, the shortened words "mani" and "pedi" drive me crazy.

I heard about this article today on NPR., they summarized it.

I've never had any interest in anyone doing my nails on hands or feet, but then I heard once that a "pedi" might include rubbing my feet. Then I got very interested. Sometimes I just want someone to rub my feet. I tested out those foot massagers, but they are all wrong.

Fake nails, ugh.no. And I have NEVER in my life figured out why cuticles need to be "pushed back." Apparently, I don't have cuticles or they are miniscule.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 07:56:05 AM »
Very long read, but glad I read it.  I do get somewhat regular mani-pedis.  For me it is part of my "work uniform", since I meet with new clients all the time.  I've tried doing them myself to save money, but end up with crappy and unprofessional looking nails.

One tip a salon friend gave me long ago is to find a place where the same person does the pedi and mani, because these types of salons usually do not have the same hierarchy in place as others might.  You really do have to talk to the ladies in order to make sure you're going to a good place.   Tipping well is essential no matter where you go.

lise

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 08:02:37 AM »
Very long read, but glad I read it.  I do get somewhat regular mani-pedis.  For me it is part of my "work uniform", since I meet with new clients all the time.  I've tried doing them myself to save money, but end up with crappy and unprofessional looking nails.

One tip a salon friend gave me long ago is to find a place where the same person does the pedi and mani, because these types of salons usually do not have the same hierarchy in place as others might.  You really do have to talk to the ladies in order to make sure you're going to a good place.   Tipping well is essential no matter where you go.

Great tip  on the same person that does the pedi-mani!

Also my salon only accepts tips in cash and you have to hand the cash to the person.  This way you know the owner isn't skimming tips. 
They don't have tip envelopes or have a tip line on the credit card form.  They'll point you to an ATM across the road if you need to get cash. 

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
My wife likes getting her nails done on occasion, so she befriended a local Russian girl that used to do nails back in the old country but has switched careers after moving to the US. Apparently, if you're a nail artist, it's hard to let go - to artists it's really art... so the girl still does nails for friends and extended family at her house to keep her skills up, no license or anything, doesn't even ask for money. My wife usually insists on giving her a $20 tip to at least cover materials.
Just as an example, this is the level of work she does (and no, those aren't press-ons):

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 05:34:49 AM »
My wife likes getting her nails done on occasion, so she befriended a local Russian girl that used to do nails back in the old country but has switched careers after moving to the US. Apparently, if you're a nail artist, it's hard to let go - to artists it's really art... so the girl still does nails for friends and extended family at her house to keep her skills up, no license or anything, doesn't even ask for money. My wife usually insists on giving her a $20 tip to at least cover materials.
Just as an example, this is the level of work she does (and no, those aren't press-ons):

That is amazing!  I thought I was fancy for getting a flower on my toes in the summer!

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 11:22:23 AM »
I read the article at work with my morning coffee. I felt a pangs of guilt over this one. I have been able shred 90% of my un-mustachian habits but I still really like getting gel pedicures. They last anywhere from 4-6 weeks and keeps my ingrown nails from taking up permanent residence. However they are a lot more expensive down here in Florida. A gel pedicure goes for about 35-40 down here plus tip.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
Sometimes I can't help but thank my lucky stars that I am a man. Looking professional is important to me too, but for me that means hair neat ($20 haircut every month), clothes pressed,and shoes clean/polished (I do this myself.)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »
I thought it was going to be this article http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/11/nyregion/nail-salon-workers-in-nyc-face-hazardous-chemicals.html

Put both of them together and it is such a sad state, we love our pretty nails so much?

You all don't know me, but I am a cosmetologist and ever since I was little have almost always had painted nails, it's jut something I liked, I have always done them myself and they are my natural nails, although no one believes me once they are painted, only in the last 10ish years have I not had them painted at all times, so much washing of my hands for diaper changes, the polish never stays on.

Anyways, all of that to say, I enjoy pretty nails, but not this way, this is so sad, first the slavery and now the health issues. This does explain how they can offer the manicures so cheaply, if you aren't paying your workers.

Very sad.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
Why are those fancy nails considered attractive?  I mean doesn't it just scream, "I can't do any work with my hands." 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »
I mean doesn't it just scream, "I can't do any work with my hands."

Since the start of civilization, being able to show that you don't work has been largely seen as a sign of attractiveness. In some parts of the world (rural India comes to my mind), being fat is considered attractive as it is a sign of affluence.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
I mean doesn't it just scream, "I can't do any work with my hands."

Since the start of civilization, being able to show that you don't work has been largely seen as a sign of attractiveness. In some parts of the world (rural India comes to my mind), being fat is considered attractive as it is a sign of affluence.

Take some time to read "Theory of the Leisure Class" by Thorstein Veblen, and the world of fashion and anti-mustachianism will be explained.