Author Topic: NYT Article on famlies with multiple fridges and freezers  (Read 44498 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: NYT Article on famlies with multiple fridges and freezers
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
Went to a friend's house for the first time this week. She has the same counter depth refrigerator we do. "Let me guess. You have a back-up in the garage, right?" The answer? "Oh yes, and a small one in the outdoor kitchen and another in the pool house." Eep.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2021, 02:31:24 PM »
Went to a friend's house for the first time this week. She has the same counter depth refrigerator we do. "Let me guess. You have a back-up in the garage, right?" The answer? "Oh yes, and a small one in the outdoor kitchen and another in the pool house." Eep.
well, if you have an outdoor kitchen of COURSE you have to have a refrigerator.

I have no desire for an outdoor kitchen. I cannot imagine how often one has to clean off surfaces of dirt,
 And dust, debris, pollen, dead bugs, tree droppings, bird droppings...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2021, 02:49:11 PM »

I have no desire for an outdoor kitchen. I cannot imagine how often one has to clean off surfaces of dirt,

TIL outdoor kitchens exist

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2021, 08:05:38 PM »
Summer kitchens were common in the 1800s, they would haul the kitchen wood stove out to a screened porch or equivalent.  Who wants to be inside cooking on a wood stove at the height of summer?

Of course these days the barbecue and the microwave can keep a kitchen from heating up too much.  And AC.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2021, 08:18:21 PM »
Summer kitchens were common in the 1800s, they would haul the kitchen wood stove out to a screened porch or equivalent.  Who wants to be inside cooking on a wood stove at the height of summer?

Of course these days the barbecue and the microwave can keep a kitchen from heating up too much.  And AC.

Yes, I am aware of a long history of people cooking outside.Somehow that seems very different from the kind of outdoor kitchen Dicey is talking about, since she mentioned these people having an outdoor fridge.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2021, 11:05:43 PM »

Shortly before the world went offline we stayed at a little place in Mexico that only had an outdoor kitchen. It was definitely unique but not too bad. Some things were kept in the fridge that would normally be left out to keep the bugs and mice away, but with just a little care they weren't a problem.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #206 on: April 11, 2021, 06:26:48 AM »

Yes, I am aware of a long history of people cooking outside.Somehow that seems very different from the kind of outdoor kitchen Dicey is talking about, since she mentioned these people having an outdoor fridge.

An outdoor fridge makes it a full kitchen, I would guess, it's that one step further than having an extra fridge in the garage.

It is all a bit surreal to me, I've always lived where winters are cold enough that a fridge (or laundry) in the garage just doesn't work.  It might be OK for a few years, but there will always be that cold spell where nights are -35 to -40C and the attached garage goes well below freezing.  Or a winter power failure for a few days.

Equally, summers are short enough that there isn't much point in setting up fancy outdoor cooking.  A barbecue with a side burner takes a lot of cooking out of the kitchen.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2021, 07:40:48 AM »
In the Olden Days you would have a spring house near your outdoor kitchen. ;-)

Plenty of people in my neighborhood have canning stoves in the garage, too.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2021, 07:58:41 AM »
We have a 22 cubic foot deep freeze. We also have another 5 cubic foot one (which we aren't using).

We bought the large one because we were freezing 100+ pounds of produce a summer from our garden, as well as a quarter beef/half hog occasionally.

As with others I live in California, land of wildfires and rolling blackouts. No generator here but I fully see the reason for them. The last time we evacuated was a couple of years ago. We took fresh produce and dairy but left everything else, thinking we’d return home in a couple of days, which turned into five. Yes, a freezer left alone for a few days can be OK if you don’t open the door, but beyond that is a bit sketchy. Especially in triple-digit temperatures. I tossed out meat and fish that had been bought on sale, anything like mayo or butter in the fridge. I was glad I didn’t have a deep freeze full of stuff to throw away; it would have made me sicker than I already was.

Something which can help in the future for this type of thing is keeping empty space in your freezer full with milk jugs containing water. Water turned into ice takes a long time to melt/heat up compared to air and can really extend how long your freezer stays cool. Deep freezes are pretty efficient (especially chest freezers) and if you have some advance notice you can also turn the temp way down. And add blankets onto them if you think it'll be a long time.

We keep our 22cubic foot deep freeze around -10F. I think it'd be below freezing for quite some time without power even during summer months when the garage heats up, especially if we added milk jugs with water to fill all the gaps.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: April 11, 2021, 08:57:38 AM »
I like quart size plastic milk jugs with screw caps for ice blocks. I use them when I grocery shop, then put them back in the freezer. If it power goes out, I know I've got plenty of ice inside. Recently, we were headed out on an RV trip and the refrigerator wouldn't kick on to propane. I just added my ice blocks and we set out on time. Later, DH was able to fix the problem, but those ice blocks stayed icy for the whole trip.   

Lately, I've discovered the big bottles of Costco vitamins are air tight. They're very sturdy, so I was hoping to re-use them. Sure enough, great ice blocks. They also fit easily into smaller spaces.

Lastly, the Costco containers that Redenbacker popcorn comes in are great for large ice blocks. They do take up a lot of room in the freezer, but if you have a deep freezer, they're easier to handle than milk jugs, imo. Note that the older popcorn containers are thinner, but the newer ones are made of a heavier material. The old ones become brittle when frozen.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2021, 09:41:18 AM »

An outdoor fridge makes it a full kitchen, I would guess, it's that one step further than having an extra fridge in the garage.

It is all a bit surreal to me, I've always lived where winters are cold enough that a fridge (or laundry) in the garage just doesn't work.  It might be OK for a few years, but there will always be that cold spell where nights are -35 to -40C and the attached garage goes well below freezing.  Or a winter power failure for a few days.

Equally, summers are short enough that there isn't much point in setting up fancy outdoor cooking.  A barbecue with a side burner takes a lot of cooking out of the kitchen.

That's probably why we Canadians have never heard of this outdoor kitchen phenomenon, but Dicey lives in weather paradise. So it makes sense that luxury outdoor rooms are a thing. I just never thought about it living in a place where outside is so hostile for so much of the year.

Chraurelius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2021, 10:34:15 AM »
Yes, lots of people in California have pools, outdoor kitchens, play areas, giant TVs and seating, because the weather is so nice.  Oddly enough, studies show they are rarely used, and maintenance is a real problem.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2021, 11:40:39 AM »

TIL outdoor kitchens exist

I love the idea of an outdoor kitchen.  My house came with a giant grill on the deck, right by the kitchen door - we use it all the time.  The only thing holding it back from being an "outdoor kitchen" is counter space. Sometimes they have fridges and sometimes they don't -- but in an area with nice weather and a large screened-in back porch area (often found pool-adjacent), it could be spectacular and not all that expensive.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2021, 12:15:40 PM »

Yes, summer kitchens I know. Being from farm country and liking old houses, I see  remnants of them. And then, in historic Hermann, there are several old smokehouses left. They were built of brick snd stone, and if the tuckpointing is kept up they will stay forever.

One of my friends has a “ canning kitchen” in the basement, and DH is thinking about doing that in our country house. He already has a stove and two refrigeration/ freezer units down there, so why not.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »

Yes, summer kitchens I know. Being from farm country and liking old houses, I see  remnants of them. And then, in historic Hermann, there are several old smokehouses left. They were built of brick snd stone, and if the tuckpointing is kept up they will stay forever.

One of my friends has a “ canning kitchen” in the basement, and DH is thinking about doing that in our country house. He already has a stove and two refrigeration/ freezer units down there, so why not.

A canning kitchen sounds lovely.  With really good ventilation for all the steam.   ;-)  And then the main kitchen is free for meals.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »

A canning kitchen sounds lovely.  With really good ventilation for all the steam.   ;-)  And then the main kitchen is free for meals.

In thinking about building my own house at some point I've thought about having a food processing room. I'd put in the plumbing to convert it to a master bedroom before selling, but then just put in a large sink, and make myself a large bench to prep food on. We'd probably keep the chest freezers, the vacuum sealer and all of our camping/hunting/fishing stuff that is currently in the garage in the room as well. A patio style door with access to the deck would make for easy access.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2021, 04:51:33 AM »

Yes to good ventilation!
I canned tuna in my kitchen - once.
Next time I set up outside.
Kitchen smelled like tuna for weeks!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2021, 07:33:56 AM »

In thinking about building my own house at some point I've thought about having a food processing room. I'd put in the plumbing to convert it to a master bedroom before selling, but then just put in a large sink, and make myself a large bench to prep food on. We'd probably keep the chest freezers, the vacuum sealer and all of our camping/hunting/fishing stuff that is currently in the garage in the room as well. A patio style door with access to the deck would make for easy access.

I have always wanted a garden vegetable prep area that is outside of the kitchen. I’m thinking of a sink and a counter in the garage maybe, where we can wash off all the dirt and then the garden produce sits on the counter until I go retrieve it.

We are doing a gut rehab in our country house and I suppose we could if we had planned for it do exactly that, but I don’t want to add one more thing. On the other hand, huge counters of vegetables is the reality in my life. DH grows truck farm levels of some vegetables.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:35 AM »
I'm quite happy putting out a lightweight folding table for counter space if needed when cooking outside. Much easier than cleaning a permanent outdoor counter would be unless you use it every day. Would be great to set up a canning kitchen in a screened area. For washing garden produce, a potting area with a sink might do double duty nicely - sink could simply drain greywater back to the garden.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2021, 11:16:52 AM »
I hadn't given enough thought to the outdoor sink idea. That would a long way towards my needs and could be done this summer... Harvest season is often also rainy here, but it could still work.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2021, 01:48:38 PM »
I hadn't given enough thought to the outdoor sink idea. That would a long way towards my needs and could be done this summer... Harvest season is often also rainy here, but it could still work.

You know what we used to do at the family farm? We had an old bathtub outside on the edge of the field. We'd get water from the hose and when we were done we'd just pull the plug and the used water ran back into the field. In the olden days the water came from the well I think.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2021, 02:55:26 PM »

You know what we used to do at the family farm? We had an old bathtub outside on the edge of the field. We'd get water from the hose and when we were done we'd just pull the plug and the used water ran back into the field. In the olden days the water came from the well I think.

Last summer I did most of my fist and game processing on the back deck with a hose. Water runs to the lawn. A bit of extra clean up of the deck and not the handiest of faucets, but it worked alright. This summer I'm FIRE'd so i have more time to tinker with making things work better!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »

Shortly before the world went offline we stayed at a little place in Mexico that only had an outdoor kitchen. It was definitely unique but not too bad. Some things were kept in the fridge that would normally be left out to keep the bugs and mice away, but with just a little care they weren't a problem.

My Italian friends (in southern Italy) had a summer kitchen. It was just a section of countertop and a gas stove under a covered portion of the patio. Stove was old and wiped down whe used but clearly had experienced some weather. The ingredients were prepped inside the house and everything just carried to the summer kitchen. Allowed my friend to boil and simmer or whatever else they wanted to without adding heat inside the un-air-conditioned house.

I feel like this is one thing we Americans do all wrong. We air condition the house but add heat to the interior of the house using more resources to keep the house cool.

Instead add a screened in porch to manage flying bugs. We have a travel grille that converts to a gas stove that we use for things like this.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:15:48 PM by Just Joe »

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2021, 03:11:20 PM »
Two adults, one upright full-size American standard fridge/freezer plus one large deep freeze chest freezer, both energy star efficient models; since I usually only go into the chest freezer once or twice a month to replenish the upright freezer, we probably spend a lot less than the advertised $27/year on electricity to run it & the food in the auto-defrost upright freezer doesn't suffer from freezer burn. We rarely (twice since the pandemic, usually more like 4-5x a year) eat out; the grocery bill for the last 12mo averaged $112 USD per person, alcohol & housewares like toilet paper included, partly by eating significantly less meat than most Americans & partly by butchering it all ourselves. I batch cook almost everything, freeze semi-prepped ingredients like cooked beans or chopped garlic/ ginger, buy huge quantities of fruit in season to prepare & freeze to avoid out of season pricing (& embedded carbon costs) later. Almost nothing goes to waste. Trimmings get composted, we use approximately one kitchen trash bag for the whole house's trash every four weeks, there's rarely enough organic matter in it to ever smell.

The main reason I think additional fridges caught on is, as others said, someone will be remodeling & then move the "spare" to the garage. Resale is cumbersome - American units are large, heavy, hard to haul - & square footage is comparatively cheap. (If an American can solve a problem with money, they usually do.) But then there's something else driving it, which also spurs the popularity of chest freezers:

American shopping is NOTHING LIKE European shopping. Car culture happened before many of our cities went up, sprawl is very real, you could be miles from a grocery on a residential street: a great deal of the country outside a few urban centers can't walk to any actual food markets (even if they want to), & even fewer are habituated to the idea. Cities were segregated on racial lines & often this meant intentionally making walking (read: poor) transit between neighborhoods difficult, effects of which persist today; markets tend to be where cars are. Making a few big trips makes more sense than driving off to a shop twice a week. Plus most the food is lower quality - underripe fruit, factory meat, bland veg, battery-cage eggs that were washed & must then be refrigerated, everything being optimized for cost & distant transit - which means people buy on quantity-to-cost motives instead, usually through big box stores. Much of the high-end produce is ultra-packaged & that packaging takes up twice the space the food would otherwise. A surprising lot of middle-class people still view farmers' markets with vague suspicion, as if un-plasticked food were unsafe or the vendors might slip copies of Das Kapital in with the eggs to indoctrinate their children, & there's such a legacy of fear that commercial activity in residential areas might attract unwelcome outsiders that it's frequently prohibited by zoning laws. Neighborhood markets are pretty limited to urban residents, often the quite poor & the very wealthy.

Counterpoint: food is truly much less expensive here, especially animal protein & dairy; if you want to live cheaply, it's quite easy to remain fed, or overfed. (We just pay it all back fivefold in healthcare.) I have the grocery budget pretty dialed in by buying enormous quantities of staple ingredients I prepare myself & knowing how to use spices, but if I want to eat a variety of greens beyond the romaine hearts, cabbage, iceberg, & spinach to which the big boxes limit their offerings, I either have to pay several dollars more a pound at a pricier grocery I don't otherwise drive to, or grow it myself (which I'm attempting to get back into this year.)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2021, 03:07:52 PM »
My experience has been that for a lot of people, the second refrigerator is primarily used to keep beverages cold.

We have a 2nd refrigerator in the garage with a top freezer. It came with the house. However, I love having the 2nd refrigerator in the garage. It's mainly a beer refrigerator, but it really helps with buying bulk items from Sams Club. Sams Club is 20 minutes away and I go twice a week.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2021, 07:23:33 PM »
Regular fridge/freezer here. Growing up in a very rural area, we had a fridge/freezer plus the chest-style deep freeze for home-grown meat and produce.

The power outage issue is what made me decide against a chest freezer. I live in the most populous city in my state, in a neighborhood that's in the city center and over 100 years old. This past year alone I was without electricity for 11 days.

There was the ice storm, the wind storm, the snow storm (which included rolling blackouts), and the sustained, record-breaking cold that strained the grid with unprecedented use. (Seriously, it hadn't been that cold since the 19th century--basically when they started keeping weather records here.)

Tornado season is coming up, so there will for sure be a few hours or days with no power due to high winds (trees blown down on the lines, power poles blown down, or blackouts due to some other area on our power grid getting those, even if my part of the city doesn't).

Then there will be actual tornadoes that hit and take out transformers, power poles, transfer stations, etc. Plus our usual 'high-wind events' where wind gusts reach 50-75 miles an hour.

Then there will be brownouts because summer temperatures will regularly stay over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the A/C usage will strain the grid.

I live smack in the middle of the US. And almost every homeowner I know has a generator to combat the power loss that I thought of as a normal occurrence until I read this thread.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2021, 08:38:09 PM »
Very common for people to move old refrigerator to garage or basement. The two of us have a full size refrigerator freezer- it has three doors- the refrigerator is side by side and the bottom a pull out freezer. Even before pandemic, we didn’t eat out much. We are retired and would go out to lunch maybe 2-3 times a month. We have a small chest freezer in closet ( we are in a condo). I am in the process of eating it down. We buy meat on sale- came across grass fed ground beef at $1.99 a pound - bought 10 lbs. I usually go blueberry picking once a year- again 10 lbs of blueberries are easy to freeze and taste so good. Usually twenty pounds of pie cherries from an orchard near me. We keep our bread in the freezer and whole wheat flour as well. I will usually stick a new bag of white flour in the freezer for a day or two to kill any weevils.

I also make my own stock and have a bag of chicken bones and another bag of vegetable scraps - when they get fill- into the crock pot with some water.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 08:45:21 PM by marion10 »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2021, 07:30:26 AM »
Very common for people to move old refrigerator to garage or basement. The two of us have a full size refrigerator freezer- it has three doors- the refrigerator is side by side and the bottom a pull out freezer. Even before pandemic, we didn’t eat out much. We are retired and would go out to lunch maybe 2-3 times a month. We have a small chest freezer in closet ( we are in a condo). I am in the process of eating it down. We buy meat on sale- came across grass fed ground beef at $1.99 a pound - bought 10 lbs. I usually go blueberry picking once a year- again 10 lbs of blueberries are easy to freeze and taste so good. Usually twenty pounds of pie cherries from an orchard near me. We keep our bread in the freezer and whole wheat flour as well. I will usually stick a new bag of white flour in the freezer for a day or two to kill any weevils.

I also make my own stock and have a bag of chicken bones and another bag of vegetable scraps - when they get fill- into the crock pot with some water.

An airtight container will also kill weevils.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
Yes- but I have a freezer there already.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2021, 11:15:15 PM »
My in-laws have 3 fridge/freezers - kitchen, basement, and garage.
Frankly, I avoid eating anything that comes out of the freezers.  The food is ancient and gross, and there is not one square inch of space to put anything more recent.

I would much prefer to buy fresh than to stockpile, but hubs has some of the food-hoarding tendencies of his mom.  Makes no sense to me- why would you want to eat months-old food when you can walk to the grocery and buy it  fresh?

I rotate the massive amount of food packed into our single freezer every couple of months so things don’t get petrified.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: May 01, 2021, 04:44:48 AM »
Frankly, I avoid eating anything that comes out of the freezers.  The food is ancient and gross, and there is not one square inch of space to put anything more recent.

I would much prefer to buy fresh than to stockpile, but hubs has some of the food-hoarding tendencies of his mom.  Makes no sense to me- why would you want to eat months-old food when you can walk to the grocery and buy it  fresh?

I rotate the massive amount of food packed into our single freezer every couple of months so things don’t get petrified.

It depends on what your opinion of 'ancient' is. I buy sale items and seasonal items when they go on sale. Then I use them throughout the year. Such as turkeys in November. I might buy 4, then I stagger them to be eaten every 3 monts or so. Same with Hams. I get them at a good price during the months of November and December then stock up on maybe 3 spiral hams and put them in the rotation during the year. In November, December I also stock up on Prime Rib Roasts. That is the only time I really see them on sale during the year. So I might buy 5 of those. We always have hamburger in the freezer to make meat loaf, meat balls, meat sauce. The freezer is basically always full but we are constantly using older inventory and replacing with new inventory as the sales occur. We try to keep a good eye on things and we are not perfect and occassionally something falls thru the cracks. The Hub keeps a pretty good eye on the inventory. I call him the warehouse manager. I don't know what your inlaws have going on but maybe they do have a system. There are foods that can last a long time in the freezer if packaged correctly and vacuum sealing is one of those methods. Maybe you could offer to help 'organize' their freezer and get them to toss out some stuff or cook it up if it is still good. Youtube has some good ideas on freezer organization especially for small chest freezers.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #232 on: May 01, 2021, 03:38:12 PM »

It depends on what your opinion of 'ancient' is.
[/quote]

My definition of ancient is anything over 1 year old.

There is no rotation going on- trust me.  Freezer burn is real. 

If you have a bunch of people to feed, I can see how it saves money.  There are two of them, and they don’t eat that much.

I love my in-laws and I am definitely part of their family, but we don’t have the kind of relationship where I would be welcome to go through their freezers’ contents. I feel sure my mom-in-law would take it as a criticism.

She was once a true low-spending queen back in the day when she had 6 mouths to feed.  I think it’s hard to let go of that mindset.

I wonder how much is saved on groceries versus how much those elderly refrigerators burn up in electricity each yesr.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »

[/quote]
I agree that over one year old is generally too long for frozen foods; especially if the item was not vacuum sealed when in its prime. Not all food over a year old is ancient, I've made bread from wheat that is as old as I am (took on some food storage cans of dry packed wheat from members of our church who were moving out of state - I do use the wheat within a year of opening a can).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2021, 01:51:10 PM »

I agree that over one year old is generally too long for frozen foods; especially if the item was not vacuum sealed when in its prime. Not all food over a year old is ancient, I've made bread from wheat that is as old as I am (took on some food storage cans of dry packed wheat from members of our church who were moving out of state - I do use the wheat within a year of opening a can).
[/quote]

Sure, some ingredients can last ages. Honey will last literally forever.

However, I think they meant perishable food.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2021, 02:03:41 PM »

I knew there were a few things that last indefinitely, but this article lists more than I thought. It's so long, I'm just including a link.
https://offgridworld.com/22-foods-that-will-last-forever/2/

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2021, 10:33:53 PM »

I knew there were a few things that last indefinitely, but this article lists more than I thought. It's so long, I'm just including a link.

Ha! Have fun boiling your ancient dried beans for 14 days.

Lol, no I know, it's specified that they need to be vacuum packed, but who actually has their beans stored without air?

A friend lives with his mom who is 93 and still has some hardcore post-war habits, like keeping army level supplies of dried beans in the basement "just in case".

My friend kept telling me he hated cooking with dried beans, he just couldn't get the hang of it. I told him about my instant pot, so he got an instant pot, and STILL, he couldn't manage to make anything turn out right. He was soaking them over night, doing everything I was doing. He was like "I hate dried beans, I'm going back to cans"

Then I asked how old his beans were, and he said "oh, older than me for sure, probably from when she bought the house. He's been trying to cook beans that are older than Biden.

He's been secretly buying new dried beans and smuggling them into the house. His mother can never know.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2021, 01:03:10 AM »

Ha! Have fun boiling your ancient dried beans for 14 days.

Lol, no I know, it's specified that they need to be vacuum packed, but who actually has their beans stored without air?

A friend lives with his mom who is 93 and still has some hardcore post-war habits, like keeping army level supplies of dried beans in the basement "just in case".

My friend kept telling me he hated cooking with dried beans, he just couldn't get the hang of it. I told him about my instant pot, so he got an instant pot, and STILL, he couldn't manage to make anything turn out right. He was soaking them over night, doing everything I was doing. He was like "I hate dried beans, I'm going back to cans"

Then I asked how old his beans were, and he said "oh, older than me for sure, probably from when she bought the house. He's been trying to cook beans that are older than Biden.

He's been secretly buying new dried beans and smuggling them into the house. His mother can never know.
Wise man.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »
Goodness. I would smuggle new dried beans in as well. I can tell the difference in freshness on dried beans even between two store supplies (with the pandemic, a lot of dried bean stock became super fresh and it was hard not to overcook them because I wasn't used to that fresh of dried beans).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »
Goodness. I would smuggle new dried beans in as well. I can tell the difference in freshness on dried beans even between two store supplies (with the pandemic, a lot of dried bean stock became super fresh and it was hard not to overcook them because I wasn't used to that fresh of dried beans).

Same, I can't buy them at my local discount grocer, they're awful, which seems odd since their stock turns over quickly, but I guess they're buying them from a discount supplier who is offloading old beans.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: May 05, 2021, 11:46:52 AM »
I wouldn't call everything on that list things that can store forever, but I'm definitely OK with items on that list stored for more than a year, but much of it should be used within a decade. Honey, syrups, salt, sugar, grains, alcohol and vinegar are the only items on that list that I'd truly consider being able to properly store indefinitely.

Vacuum pack is probably ideal, but anything that creates an dry oxygen free environment will work to store for several years. It's pretty common for cans to be packed with small packets of iron filings in them - the iron oxidizes to absorb the oxygen in the can.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: May 07, 2021, 10:19:02 PM »

This is very relatable. And kind of hilarious.  A 99c bag of beans could cause a major ruckus.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »
I wouldn't call everything on that list things that can store forever, but I'm definitely OK with items on that list stored for more than a year, but much of it should be used within a decade. Honey, syrups, salt, sugar, grains, alcohol and vinegar are the only items on that list that I'd truly consider being able to properly store indefinitely.

Vacuum pack is probably ideal, but anything that creates an dry oxygen free environment will work to store for several years. It's pretty common for cans to be packed with small packets of iron filings in them - the iron oxidizes to absorb the oxygen in the can.

Huh, I should probably vacuum pack some of my beans. I bought a bunch early in lockdown and we are going through them, but slowly.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »

Huh, I should probably vacuum pack some of my beans. I bought a bunch early in lockdown and we are going through them, but slowly.

Oof, we blew through our covid stockpile of beans a long time ago. But I cook ~100lbs of dried legumes a year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2021, 09:48:19 AM »
If you freeze dried beans do they last longer?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2021, 06:53:09 PM »

Dunno about lasting longer, but my wife can feel the taste difference between frozen and never-frozen beans, whether they are soaked overnight, or pressure cooked. Especially Red/Kidney beans, Black beans, Garbanzo/Chickpeas, and Mung beans. We buy ours in 4 or 7 lb bags from a couple of nearby Indian Grocery stores. Anecdata.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2021, 07:07:27 PM »

Freeze drying dried beans?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2021, 07:46:21 AM »

Brain/keyboard interface was on the fritz.  :P

I was just wondering about tossing dried beans in the freezer . . . stuff usually lasts a longer time in the freezer.  Dunno where 'freeze dried' came from while I was typing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2021, 07:56:31 AM »

Brain/keyboard interface was on the fritz.  :P

I was just wondering about tossing dried beans in the freezer . . . stuff usually lasts a longer time in the freezer.  Dunno where 'freeze dried' came from while I was typing.

Freezing also tends to pull moisture out of stuff. I'd be curious at shelf life frozen vs simply vacuum sealed.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: May 30, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
I will admit to having 3 refrigeration units.

Unit 1: A pretty nice, but standard sized kitchen unit.

Unit 2: A chest freezer converted to a refrigerator. This unit is for my hobby of homebrewing and kegging.

Unit 3: An upright freezer in the basement. This serves 2 purposes: first it allow for bulk purchases or longer term storage, aside from the regular grocery stores anything else is a 2+ round trip (Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods, good middle eastern and asian grocery stores). And the more important reason is leftover/pre-made foods we can pre-make food when schedules allow and have variety of meal options for lunch leftovers.