Author Topic: NTY Why I bought a $4,000 coat that I could not afford  (Read 12521 times)

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
NTY Why I bought a $4,000 coat that I could not afford
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »
... so many amazing lines in this piece - but essentially she is terrified of the money needed to make it in New York so she spend $4k on a motorcycle jacket.  Huh? Oh, and then she spent $12 on juice.  Huh?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/09/why-i-bought-a-4000-jacket-i-could-not-afford.html

It’s not just the fact that you don’t have any money. It’s that money no longer makes sense. This is the part that took me forever to figure out.

Of course, the jacket has since been ripped off by countless less-expensive brands. And when women stop me in the street to tell me they have the exact same one, I don’t correct them. It’s like tithing. On some days, it’s the nicest thing I’ll do. They really should thank me.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: NTY Why I bought a $4,000 coat that I could not afford
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
wtf

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »
Worst part - she's not even a very good writer.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:25:08 AM »
Pretty stupid! I would resent paying £4k for anything except maybe a new home.

rubor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »
Stories like these remind me of why I moved out of Manhattan.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:50 AM »
"The entire transaction took 30 minutes, but seemed like much longer."

I can't imagine such a store does very much volume, so there's no reason for the employees to rush things, right?

Must be nice to be on the other end of that transaction!

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
Unless I missed it,  the story doesn't justify the title,  ie she doesn't explain why she bought a $4000 coat (that she could not afford)     

I think she bought the coat to give herself something to write about, but it didn't really work at that either.   After all, she just embarked on a new career as a writer.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
I’m not one of those people who shops compulsively...

I have no idea what possessed me to walk into the Rick Owens store.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:00:13 AM »
"The entire transaction took 30 minutes, but seemed like much longer."

I can't imagine such a store does very much volume, so there's no reason for the employees to rush things, right?

Must be nice to be on the other end of that transaction!

I think you'd be surprised actually. I've heard many times of designer bags/clothes that are consistently sold out (Europe especially)...usually because of (Chinese) tourists.

A friend of mine once saw a Chinese tourist pay $15,000 for a handbag...in cash.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
Well that's four minutes of my life I'll never get back.

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
I’m not one of those people who shops compulsively...

I have no idea what possessed me to walk into the Rick Owens store.

I hope she can bring this in to the "debt counseling agency" when she has to explain her financial situation.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »
I think she had a point in that, but my take away was we live in different realms altogether. 

Very strange.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Two takeaways for me:

- She's the poster child for impulse buying.  She had no intention of buying this over-priced, trendy, will go out of style in 15 minutes coat; she knew she shouldn't do it; yet she went right ahead and did it. 

- She knows which of her credit cards has the lowest interest rate, which tells me she's used to buying things she can't afford and juggling payments. 

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »
Must.... not..... read.... incredibly annoying.... article.

Gahhh can't stop myself! Off to read it

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 05:52:47 AM »
"The mystique of the store has mostly to do with the designer. Rick Owens is a tall, sinewy man with a thin nose, Old World teeth, and fantastic hair. He resembles an Egon Schiele subject and lives in a five-story Parisian mansion with his muse and business partner, Michèle Lamy. (Lamy doubles as Owens’s much older, pygmy-size, polyamorous goth wife.) Together they make $800 shirts that look like lice-infested shrouds worn by medieval serfs."

And I'm sure he will use the extra 4000 dollars to buy some more caviar.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
Haven't not heard of the designer prior to this article I looked online to see what his jackets and clothes look like. I can't imagine spending anywhere near $800 for a shirt. Heck, I don't think I own a single piece of clothing that is anywhere near that. Maybe if I were to get a tailored suit would I be spending somewhere near that, but I doubt it I'll ever buy a tailored suit.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
Reading this article was like sifting through mental diarrhea. I didn't understand the point other than "I like fancy things but can't afford it but whatever! YOLO!!". Thanks New Yorker!

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 07:02:09 AM »
Reading this article was like sifting through mental diarrhea. I didn't understand the point other than "I like fancy things but can't afford it but whatever! YOLO!!". Thanks New Yorker!

This was New York Magazine, not New Yorker, though it hardly matters.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 07:31:33 AM »
This was actually painful to read....

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »
I kind of get this but I really don't.  I think it was about the writer of the article wanting to appear like a cool New York writer; therefore, buy a trendy jacket.  But on the other hand, $4,000 is a hell of a lot of $ to put onto your credit card when you are starting out in your career.  I don't have a problem with someone with a high net worth buying a jacket like this but not someone who will have to finance it with credit. 

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
"The mystique of the store has mostly to do with the designer. Rick Owens is a tall, sinewy man with a thin nose, Old World teeth, and fantastic hair. He resembles an Egon Schiele subject and lives in a five-story Parisian mansion with his muse and business partner, Michèle Lamy. (Lamy doubles as Owens’s much older, pygmy-size, polyamorous goth wife.) Together they make $800 shirts that look like lice-infested shrouds worn by medieval serfs."

Googled the designer and 'muse'...wtf did I just read...

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 10:15:58 AM »
Of course, the jacket has since been ripped off by countless less-expensive brands. And when women stop me in the street to tell me they have the exact same one, I don’t correct them. It’s like tithing. On some days, it’s the nicest thing I’ll do. They really should thank me.

How does she feel this is being nice?
If I commented, "Oh look, we are wearing the same jacket!"
And she corrected with, "Oh no, you have a $100 jacket that was inspired by this one. This jacket cost $4000."
I would feel happy knowing I have the exact same look for far less than she paid.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
At least she's pretty hot. (google her name for pics)

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »

How does she feel this is being nice?
If I commented, "Oh look, we are wearing the same jacket!"
And she corrected with, "Oh no, you have a $100 jacket that was inspired by this one. This jacket cost $4000."
I would feel happy knowing I have the exact same look for far less than she paid.

Seriously.  I am always very impressed with myself for getting something with the same features that someone else is paying $$$ for - just for a brand. 

I have an MBA - they teach you in brand management that THE BRAND is worth something - ie. People "lemmings" are willing to shell out $$ on nothing more than a label - not even the features.  So, she feels like people should be giving her credit for purchasing a BRAND when my COAT gives me the same utility as her coat - warmth, outer shell - but not the same "brand". 

If this is the nicest thing she does all day, then waaaay more than her bank balance is F'd up. 

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »

Just did the same... can't get those images out of my head.  Ever.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »

Public service announcement: To anyone that hasn't Googled this, please do not do so if you value your sanity. Trust us, we all highly regret having done so. Don't be a hero! Save yourself!

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »

Public service announcement: To anyone that hasn't Googled this, please do not do so if you value your sanity. Trust us, we all highly regret having done so. Don't be a hero! Save yourself!

I'm sure you realize that you essentially forced me to google it.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Oh, and this is an oddity I've only seen in Chinatown. If you buy a designer bag, before you use the purse, you carry around the paper shopping bag from Coach or Hermes or Harrod's or whatever as a purse until it falls apart, just so everyone knows you can afford to shop at those stores. It's funny.

THIS! I saw this in China and Japan so much. Girls would go in and buy something cheap, just anything, from some expensive designer store, then use the shopping bag as their purse! Girls will put their make up and things under the tissue stuffing papers that peak out the top. I noticed all the girls with shopping bags and thought the designer stores must be selling well since so many girls were always walking around with shopping bags. Then I noticed a girl digging through her LV shopping bag and realized that she was using it as her purse (cheap wallet and make up inside). When she left, I asked another girl if she was using the shopping bag as her purse. She explained that a lot of girls do that cause it's cool to look like you've just been shopping at someplace expensive. So you go in and buy something cheap then carry the bag around until it wears out.

I really don't get how this illusion of "just been shopping" is supposed to work when so many girls are doing it. It looks looks tacky to me.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »

Well of course I couldn't resist THIS challenge and had to look. I wanted to know what "old world teeth" meant, I guess it means Euro-teeth. Yeah, some of that is kinda hard to look at. Don't you just KNOW this is their 5 minutes of fame and soon they they will go back to crashing in their friends' summer houses and generally living like parasites.

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »

Well of course I couldn't resist THIS challenge and had to look. I wanted to know what "old world teeth" meant, I guess it means Euro-teeth. Yeah, some of that is kinda hard to look at. Don't you just KNOW this is their 5 minutes of fame and soon they they will go back to crashing in their friends' summer houses and generally living like parasites.

And... found a video. And the diamond fillings and gold teeth are because of ... art?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahelliott/2013/12/18/at-home-with-michele-lamy-the-woman-behind-rick-owens/

Wow... just Wow.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »

And... found a video. And the diamond fillings and gold teeth are because of ... art?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahelliott/2013/12/18/at-home-with-michele-lamy-the-woman-behind-rick-owens/

Wow... just Wow.

Freak show. Where does the money come from? You mean, this guy she's with Rick--actually sells  stuff? To actual people? Can't grock it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
Oh, and this is an oddity I've only seen in Chinatown. If you buy a designer bag, before you use the purse, you carry around the paper shopping bag from Coach or Hermes or Harrod's or whatever as a purse until it falls apart, just so everyone knows you can afford to shop at those stores. It's funny.

THIS! I saw this in China and Japan so much. Girls would go in and buy something cheap, just anything, from some expensive designer store, then use the shopping bag as their purse! Girls will put their make up and things under the tissue stuffing papers that peak out the top. I noticed all the girls with shopping bags and thought the designer stores must be selling well since so many girls were always walking around with shopping bags. Then I noticed a girl digging through her LV shopping bag and realized that she was using it as her purse (cheap wallet and make up inside). When she left, I asked another girl if she was using the shopping bag as her purse. She explained that a lot of girls do that cause it's cool to look like you've just been shopping at someplace expensive. So you go in and buy something cheap then carry the bag around until it wears out.

I really don't get how this illusion of "just been shopping" is supposed to work when so many girls are doing it. It looks looks tacky to me.

I do this, not on purpose to show off (because my bags are from pretty mundane stores like Old Navy) but because it's just easy to stick stuff in an old bag I've stockpiled.  Now that I think about it, I don't even have a good rationale for not using a backpack, except sometimes I just need a little bag not my huge backpack.  But I bet people see me walking around with my falling-apart Old Navy bag and assume I'm a deluded show-off.