Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639424 times)

ohsnap

• Bristles
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1450 on: May 20, 2021, 01:37:58 PM »
@DadJokes... But I have had some friends and neighbors join, become "coaches", and start doing all the social media posts on how great it is, motivational/inspirational quotes on pretty pictures, workout pics, etc....

One of my closest friends became a "coach" for a different wellness MLM a few months ago. Not beach body - and I actually don't know the name of it because although she posts about it ALL.THE.TIME on social media, she never says what it is.  Just inspirational posts about her success & her clients' successes, and IF YOU ARE READY TO CHANGE, MESSAGE ME!  Typically when someone I know starts doing this, I unfriend them or at least hide them from my feed.  But this is a good friend. I'm at a loss. 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1451 on: May 26, 2021, 10:22:49 AM »
I have an 'acquaintance' who recently started a monetized fishing channel on Youtube. He goes out often and it's an enviable position to be in. Well, it turns out his wife is a big time MLMer selling essential oils - I thought I saw that she was diamond level or something like that so she's bringing home the $$$. I think most of her clientele/returning customer base began from the social network they have primarily through their church, so she must have milked that cow hard and her "essential oil consultancy" spread like wildfire from there (good luck to any of her close friends who would dare think to enter the "business" and step on her toes lol). Using similar tactics as his wife (but advertising "like & subscribe" on Facebook and in a big FB fishing group) the guy is now gaining tons of traction with his channel and will probably be making a fair amount of money off it soon enough. And no, I'm not going to link his Youtube channel...because I'm going to start one myself hopefully and don't want to shoot myself in the foot LOL - click like and subscribe when I start it!jk
Anyway, it must be nice having tons of free time to spin up a monetized Youtube channel for your hobby because your wife made out well for you, exploiting all your friends. To be clear, I'm not saying or implying that starting a Youtube channel is like MLM. There's a lot of work that needs to go into it for it (editing videos) to be a success. But it's one of those things that not many people can successfully do as a side-hustle/side-gig. On top of that, some people resort to using shameless tactics to quickly increase their viewership (like relentlessly plugging the channel ALL OVER Facebook and elsewhere - not just in posts but commenting in threads, and self-promoting aggressively). It's the aggressive self-promotion that I don't like... it's my opinion that if you start a channel, do it because you love it AND allow the growth to be organic - plug where you have the opportunity but don't get greedy/obsessive/aggressive about doing so.

Years ago, I had a financial planner uncomfortably pressure me, in person after an initial consulting session, to cough up a list of potential clients to refer for her to cold-call (I was young, stupid and didn't know any better and caved in...) - this felt MLMish as well.

My wife told me about this Korean lady who would bother her parents at their restaurant and sell them crap they didn't need (some crappy under sink water filtration unit, a super overpriced bidet, etc). Forgot the name of this company but she told me every time the lady would step foot in the restaurant she would stare her down and make the lady feel super uncomfortable. The visits became less and less, at least while my wife was there. I think my in-laws have halted most of that by now since selling the restaurant but that was another example of old school MLM they were fooled by.

I have very little respect for these kinds of people.

We have other friends who do MLM on a smaller scale with books (forget the name) and Norwex but they don't push hard enough to become platinum diamond sellers - I'm fine with them because I can tell they got into it and realized how shady it felt to essentially exploit your friends selling them nominal products for tons of money, so they don't really push anything on anyone.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:44:30 AM by jeromedawg »

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1452 on: May 27, 2021, 09:53:24 PM »
Most you tubers and MLMers don't earn as much as they want you to believe. That's part of the schtick - pretending to be successful.

If they really were successful they'd quit the job once they raked in the cash.

The phoney low-tier Mercedes that the MLM crowd use just fortify my belief that they are struggling, income-wise. No one with a genuinely high income is going to brag about leasing a CLA Mercedes.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1453 on: June 01, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »
@DadJokes... But I have had some friends and neighbors join, become "coaches", and start doing all the social media posts on how great it is, motivational/inspirational quotes on pretty pictures, workout pics, etc....

One of my closest friends became a "coach" for a different wellness MLM a few months ago. Not beach body - and I actually don't know the name of it because although she posts about it ALL.THE.TIME on social media, she never says what it is.  Just inspirational posts about her success & her clients' successes, and IF YOU ARE READY TO CHANGE, MESSAGE ME!  Typically when someone I know starts doing this, I unfriend them or at least hide them from my feed.  But this is a good friend. I'm at a loss.

I've got an in-law doing this.  She's hawking Optavia (the old Medifast) and her before & after pic's do look stunning.  They keep the name of the program off of social media, referring to it as "Health & Wellness" but it's been easy to deduce what they were selling.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1454 on: July 08, 2021, 10:02:36 AM »
When I was 20 I'd been in Amway for a year. My VW was wearing out and my mom asked if I wanted to take over the $200 payment on her new-ish Jeep Liberty.

Like a good little MLM-er I consulted with my upline rather than my dad who was a CPA or my mom who owned a real business for about 15 years. My upline and I talked about how it would be a $200 payment, and I just grossed $200 by buying extra stuff to reach the first cross-the-stage-and-get-a-pin milestone.

Like a wise sage he asked, "Do you think you'll be doing that again?"

I knew it'd likely be another year before I could sustain this level.

That's how bad of a business it is. It's questionable whether or not you'll gross $200.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1455 on: July 08, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »
Has anyone noticed that a lot of life insurance companies are starting to sound more and more like MLMs every damn day.  An acquaintance from high school has been selling it for awhile now.  Lately her online posts are less "let me sell you a policy" and more "come work for me." 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1456 on: July 08, 2021, 11:49:12 AM »
The YouTubers I know who have been successful with it usually use their YouTube videos as advertising to sell other products they produce. I know some writers and artists who do that and do well. Just making YouTube videos for advertising money doesn't usually work out all that great.

The MLM people I know who have done well with MLM usually use that as a side business for doing something like personal training for people. They have clients for personal training and they sell them the "magic powders" as part of their coaching. Other than doing that, I've seen nobody make any money with MLM, but they do waste a lot of time with it.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #1457 on: July 08, 2021, 11:58:37 AM »
Has anyone noticed that a lot of life insurance companies are starting to sound more and more like MLMs every damn day.  An acquaintance from high school has been selling it for awhile now.  Lately her online posts are less "let me sell you a policy" and more "come work for me."

Primerica per chance? It's a full on pyramid scheme with no-one making real money.

An uncle took my parents for all their investment money decades ago that spooked them from the stock market. Took years to get them moved to Vanguard funds at Questrade instead.

Needless to say that side of the family ruined many relationships to barely make their house payments and lease a Mercedes to seem successful. The indoctrination runs deep though, they've signed their grandkids up in their downlines.

PS they think they're selling legit insurance and mutual funds, the insurance is overpriced by double other companies and the mutual funds have MER's above 5% (one was 7.5%). But fat commissions and deferred sales charges to lock you in for the max legal periods (they cycle these often enough to trigger charges and more commissions as well). It's all but criminal.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:00:33 PM by dreadmoose »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1458 on: July 08, 2021, 12:24:02 PM »

Primerica per chance? It's a full on pyramid scheme with no-one making real money.

An uncle took my parents for all their investment money decades ago that spooked them from the stock market. Took years to get them moved to Vanguard funds at Questrade instead.

Needless to say that side of the family ruined many relationships to barely make their house payments and lease a Mercedes to seem successful. The indoctrination runs deep though, they've signed their grandkids up in their downlines.

PS they think they're selling legit insurance and mutual funds, the insurance is overpriced by double other companies and the mutual funds have MER's above 5% (one was 7.5%). But fat commissions and deferred sales charges to lock you in for the max legal periods (they cycle these often enough to trigger charges and more commissions as well). It's all but criminal.

This doesn't seem to be Primerica.  At least not by that name.  I think it's called Family First. 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1459 on: July 08, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »

This doesn't seem to be Primerica.  At least not by that name.  I think it's called Family First.

From their webpage,  “Agency Overrides
If you decide to start an Agency with FFL you would receive an override commission on any agent that you hire when they sell a policy. The override commission is equal to the difference of commission levels between you and your agents. The average override commission is 15% of the Annual Premium.”

Smells like an MLM.

E16sean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1460 on: July 13, 2021, 10:16:32 AM »
I had an interview with a German company that operates in a number of EU countries to work as a financial advisor. I have experience with funds (risk / finance background) so thought it may be worth trying.

The first stage was a group presentation with a  video showing young workers in an expensive office. They they told us that we would be provided with client list for our region and the company would support us to grow our local office.

There were some alarm bells (avoided any info on how we would be paid) but the website was professional and looked legitimate. Most information online like Glassdoor is very positive.

In the second interview they told be that I would self employed with no guarantee of income. No referrals from corporate and my network of friends, family and acquaintances would be my starting point. No fancy offices or macbook pro either.

They don't charge the client a fee so presumably they are commission-based and possibly trail comission (if it's still allowed). They changed the subject when I asked.

The way to make decent money would be to become a local manager responsible for a team, then a regional manager and finally national manger. I'd earn a percentage based on what my 'team' brings in.

At the end of the interview I was offered the job to start as a trainee on Monday. Another red flag, so I did a bit deeper research over the weekend showed similar stories to mine.

I turned them down. Close call.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1461 on: August 16, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
Ok, yikes, I wasn’t sure about posting this, but I think some input from you all might be useful.  Earlier this year, a work colleague sent me an email about something crypto currency related, it looked like an email that was sent out to a large list of contacts and I thought his email had probably just been hacked and had sent out some spam without his knowledge, so I didn’t even click on it.  Well, a few months later he mentioned he wanted to get together and talk about investing in a “gold-backed crypto currency”.  I have no interest in buying into anything like that.  Was with our boss at the time and we both listened a bit, but shrugged it off.  Well, recently he mentioned it again and wants to get together to talk more about it, so out of morbid curiosity I went back to the original email to see what I could learn about it.  Oh man, it’s so much worse than just another pointless coin, it’s basically from a company that runs a terrible MLM scheme selling tiny gold bars to people at an absurd markup and there’s a huge pyramid based referral program to sign up other distributors at huge upfront cost.  I know the rational move is to politely decline a meeting because I’m not interested, but I can’t help but wonder if I can meet with him and ask questions in a way that helps him re-evaluate his investment.  (btw, he has 5 figures in these coins atm, so the stakes for him are pretty high).

An update from just over a year later, I did mention my concerns to this co-worker, but he mostly shrugged it off and didn’t seem interested in my input, only signing me up to buy in.  He hasn’t brought up anything about this since, and from what I can tell of the price of this coin in the last year has completely collapsed - his $35k portfolio at the time of original post is now worth around $250 if he left everything as-is.  Hopefully he hasn’t put anything more in.

Ok, well another update, I noticed this same person now has stickers on their car for some kind of expensive therapy machine MLM now.  :(

Freaking stop the madness already. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1462 on: August 16, 2021, 09:40:51 AM »
I don't seem to have so many friends shilling MLMs on my Facebook feed, now that Lularoe has been disgraced. I think the 31 Bags and Usborne Books reps finally gave up. A couple are still doggedly selling Colorstreet (some form of press-on nails).

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1463 on: August 16, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »
The dumpster fire that is Lularoe just refuses to die.  But, the good thing is that have a new documentary about it to watch soon (September 10th, on Amazon Prime). https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=nJgkwIHp1pc&feature=youtu.be

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1464 on: August 16, 2021, 04:29:17 PM »
I'm in a facebook group for a specific dog breed.  periodically, we get posts about "this is the best breed ever and I love mine so much.  At first I wasn't sure about my relationship with DogName, but after getting her some great training though [website], we developed an amazing bond and I can't imagine ever owning another breed. "  The language is usually a bit off and it ends in a question about wondering if anyone else has considered using that training.

It just smelled funny the first time I saw it and google of the company turne dup that it is an MLM (though like so many MLMs, they do a decent job of keeping that info out of the early search results).  And a reverse image search of the dog they claimed was there showed it was from a Purina ad.

I reported and it was deleted.  Today, there was another nearly identical post.  Different photo (with more confusing search results, but still clearly an image that has appeared around the internet.)  I think all MLM posts contain an element of insincerity, but this is outright lying.  Gross!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1465 on: August 17, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »
an acquaintance told me that in his "product" training, there was a half day devoted to social media posting and gaming it to increase sales, how to "fix" complaints and reports, how to make variations of posts to get around filters.

dipshit was selling It Works nonsense. their green goblins took over downtown Tampa for a week, and didn't follow traffic laws, causing havoc. Was in the news, cops were tired of their crap.

told my BIL to stop giving our address to people who we don't know, and don't want to know, who wants to sell us shit we don't need. I told this dipshit in my house, when he offered us a drinks can that wasn't labeled with ingredients but was meant for weight loss and energy boosting, that I prefer to eat healthy and workout 4x/week, and walks most nights after dinner, instead of drinking this abomination. We hosted him the first time for a couple of nights as a courtesy; second time, politely texted him to stay away from us.

Fuck It Works! Fuck Amway! Fuck Quixstar! Fuck all MLMs! I've lost family and friendships over these toxic money-grabbing down-line generating ponzi fuckers.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1466 on: August 17, 2021, 01:25:27 PM »
Ok, yikes, I wasn’t sure about posting this, but I think some input from you all might be useful.  Earlier this year, a work colleague sent me an email about something crypto currency related, it looked like an email that was sent out to a large list of contacts and I thought his email had probably just been hacked and had sent out some spam without his knowledge, so I didn’t even click on it.  Well, a few months later he mentioned he wanted to get together and talk about investing in a “gold-backed crypto currency”.  I have no interest in buying into anything like that.  Was with our boss at the time and we both listened a bit, but shrugged it off.  Well, recently he mentioned it again and wants to get together to talk more about it, so out of morbid curiosity I went back to the original email to see what I could learn about it.  Oh man, it’s so much worse than just another pointless coin, it’s basically from a company that runs a terrible MLM scheme selling tiny gold bars to people at an absurd markup and there’s a huge pyramid based referral program to sign up other distributors at huge upfront cost.  I know the rational move is to politely decline a meeting because I’m not interested, but I can’t help but wonder if I can meet with him and ask questions in a way that helps him re-evaluate his investment.  (btw, he has 5 figures in these coins atm, so the stakes for him are pretty high).

An update from just over a year later, I did mention my concerns to this co-worker, but he mostly shrugged it off and didn’t seem interested in my input, only signing me up to buy in.  He hasn’t brought up anything about this since, and from what I can tell of the price of this coin in the last year has completely collapsed - his $35k portfolio at the time of original post is now worth around $250 if he left everything as-is.  Hopefully he hasn’t put anything more in.

Ok, well another update, I noticed this same person now has stickers on their car for some kind of expensive therapy machine MLM now.  :(

Freaking stop the madness already.

Well, when he approaches you in the future about buying into his "therapy machine" - you can ask if it helps with the mental anquish of losing $34,000+ 

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1467 on: August 18, 2021, 05:39:36 AM »
Well, when he approaches you in the future about buying into his "therapy machine" - you can ask if it helps with the mental anquish of losing $34,000+
That would be intentionally hurtful and rubbing in the loss. Let us know what he said though, JAYSLOL...

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1468 on: August 18, 2021, 05:11:35 PM »
That would be intentionally hurtful and rubbing in the loss. Let us know what he said though, JAYSLOL...

He hasn’t brought up the new MLM, I only noticed the sticker, and much like the day-trading/gambling folks that love to post about their wins, but stay silent on the losses, he hasn’t brought up the old crypto scam for going on 2 years now and I haven’t asked since I already know the answer anyway.  If he starts to push the new MLM though, I’ll play dumb and ask how his crypto is going.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1469 on: August 18, 2021, 06:01:39 PM »
Clearly this is original content from the poster:

"Happy Business Wednesday! My name is ------ and I’ve been with Monat for a little over two years. For those that don’t know, we are a naturally based, clinically backed, and scientifically proven that specialize in hair, skin & wellness products.
Business side, I’ve managed to grow all over the US, UK, and Ireland. We’ve recently expanded to Spain & Lithuania and are working to become global. This business has let me quit my full time corporate job, matched my income by 4x, save up for students loans, & have the financial freedom to live my life unapologetically.
I work from my phone/wifi so it’s extremely convenient come PCS season & living the military life.
If you want more info, please let me know & send me a message! 🦋
Feel free to check out my IG: @-------
*if Network Marketing isn’t for you, that’s okay! I do ask that you respect my post and if it does not interest you, then don’t comment. Thank you!"

Where do I begin? The FDA called bullshit on her first claim, and the company had to pay out for having a contaminated factory and getting people sick and injured.  This poster got here a year ago and the first thing she said was "I'm new and I need friends. Send me your Instagram accounts." She's already on Facebook with them, why IG if not to push her product? Earlier this year she posted about the free trip. She's hitting everything on the bingo card except for the free car.  They've been in the military for just a couple years and if she's taking credit for expanding into other countries it's because she's got other military spouses to peddle this stuff for her. Also calling bullshit on the "corporate job" that according to her in another post she was living paycheck to paycheck.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1470 on: August 19, 2021, 05:21:40 AM »
*if Network Marketing isn’t for you, that’s okay! I do ask that you respect my post and if it does not interest you, then don’t comment. Thank you!"
So she can't handle having potential victims running away be someone exposing her MLM scheme for what it is?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1471 on: August 19, 2021, 07:31:13 AM »
So she can't handle having potential victims running away be someone exposing her MLM scheme for what it is?

Pretty much. It's fine to use false promises to scam someone desperate out of money they probably can't afford to lose, but it's SO MEAN to call them out on the scam.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1472 on: August 19, 2021, 07:49:56 AM »
I take that to mean that friends have been trying to rescue her from the MLM and she’s telling them to leave her alone.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1473 on: August 19, 2021, 07:59:33 AM »
I take that to mean that friends have been trying to rescue her from the MLM and she’s telling them to leave her alone.

Her targets appear to be mostly other young military wives that she can hook.  Don't want anyone scaring them off...

In a different post she mentioned wanting to hold a meeting so she could talk about the business and "clear up myths and misperceptions about the company" or words to that effect.

Evildunk99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1474 on: August 19, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »
My in-laws fall into the category of "gullible quick buck chasers." 

SIL #1 has had 25 different jobs by age 30, most recently doing door dash. 
BIL #1 has been doing a sports podcast with his buddies for 6 hours / week for the past 4 years with zero viewership growth. 
BIL #2 is trying to make money by streaming his videogames on twitch.
SIL #2 has been doing the juice plus MLM and is now trying to sell this hydroponic tower garden thing that lets you grow your own vegetables for $500 - $1,000 up front cost.  I joke about it every time I go to aldi and buy hydroponically-grown lettuce for $3.

Predictably, none of them have any investment accounts and very little savings.

I shiver about the opportunity costs of simply getting a basic part time job with benefits, or going for higher education if they have all of these extra hours available in their lives.  Sigh. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1475 on: August 19, 2021, 02:08:41 PM »

BIL #1 has been doing a sports podcast with his buddies for 6 hours / week for the past 4 years with zero viewership growth. 
SIL #2 has been doing the juice plus MLM and is now trying to sell this hydroponic tower garden thing that lets you grow your own vegetables for $500 - $1,000 up front cost.  I joke about it every time I go to aldi and buy hydroponically-grown lettuce for $3.

I shiver about the opportunity costs of simply getting a basic part time job with benefits, or going for higher education if they have all of these extra hours available in their lives.  Sigh.
Are they the same company?  Because there's a dude here who does the same thing.  Juice + and the tower garden.

Evildunk99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1476 on: August 20, 2021, 08:58:20 AM »

Are they the same company?  Because there's a dude here who does the same thing.  Juice + and the tower garden.

A quick google search indicates it is the same company but can't confirm.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #1477 on: August 20, 2021, 10:15:58 AM »

A quick google search indicates it is the same company but can't confirm.

Can confirm, a girl from my high school hawks both and approached me awhile back about how she retired at 28 years old (though she seems to present at trade shows and has apparently went back to work now... so I think she'd built enough passive income through her downline that if it kept going she'd be good... but it did not.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1478 on: September 13, 2021, 08:25:38 PM »
My husband and I are halfway through the 4-part documentary "LulaRich" on Amazon Prime. The LuLaRoe cult MLM was even nuttier than I suspected from all of the frenzied posts on my Facebook feed a few years ago.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1479 on: September 14, 2021, 07:09:43 AM »
My husband and I are halfway through the 4-part documentary "LulaRich" on Amazon Prime. The LuLaRoe cult MLM was even nuttier than I suspected from all of the frenzied posts on my Facebook feed a few years ago.

I just finished it last night. It really is crazy and I was actually surprised about how young of a company they are. I knew their growth really exploded a few years ago, but I guess I figured the company had been around for awhile first. Apparently not.

hooplady

• Stubble
« Reply #1480 on: September 14, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
Just started watching the Lularoe doc on Amazon. In the first episode she talks about her earliest clothing parties where she was reselling designer dresses that she purchased from a swap meet at a fraction of the normal retail price. Um, so were they counterfeit or stolen? I guess that wasn't a concern, which says a lot about the mindset of the founders.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1481 on: September 14, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »
Just started watching the Lularoe doc on Amazon. In the first episode she talks about her earliest clothing parties where she was reselling designer dresses that she purchased from a swap meet at a fraction of the normal retail price. Um, so were they counterfeit or stolen? I guess that wasn't a concern, which says a lot about the mindset of the founders.

We wondered the same thing! At that quantity, I'd guess counterfeit. Cheap knockoffs are everywhere.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1482 on: September 14, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »
i binged that show coupla days  ago.

I thought early on when she bought the children’s dresses selling at $10 that those are not the same ones selling for $80, but now I’m not so sure. I remember going into one of those La Di Da boutique shops where grandmas shop for their tiny tot grandchildren, and looking over the merchandise, and those togs didn’t seem all that special to me as far as workmanship.They are frilly “dress up “garments heavy on velvet, diamond and peael buttons, and stiff organza. They are made to look luxe but are not.

Granted, in Europe when you buy European made children’s clothes those are super high end with good quality fabrics and good workmanship. I’m not sure those are made anymore, those baby Burberry pieces and etc.

I enjoyed the LulaRoe show, I knew what to expect, having seen other expose shows.

One of the sister wives from Kody  Brown’s tribe  is still hawking LuLaRoe.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:43:27 PM by iris lily »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1483 on: September 19, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
I was fascinated by the Lularoe documentary LuLaRich.  up until the last 30 seconds of the first episode, I thought it sounded like heaven!  (I would never do it, MLM isn't for me, but the pitch was very good and effective). 
Boy, I really feel for the people who fall into those traps.  It seemed as if everything they said and did was meant to control people in one way or another. 

Also, those designs are hideous and they always were.  But placing limits on availability was a genius method for starting a frenzy.  I guess the lesson should be that any time there's something trendy, stay away.  Good thing for me that everything I like is out of date and out of style!

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #1484 on: September 22, 2021, 04:14:00 PM »
I recently started working with one of my pledge bro's old teachers, Donald and his wife Sparkles [names changed for privacy]. They created a huge ongoing income that surpassed both their full-time jobs in their 30s. He just said they’re looking for a good candidate to work with. I really respect you and figured it wouldn't hurt to reach out even though we haven't talked in a while. Would be outside of what you got going on full time. Can’t promise anything but wanted to see if you were looking for other income sources?

My relative just messaged me this. First, he had me turned off at pledge bro. But it is not even his pledge bro who is in the MLM, it is one of their old teachers. I'm dying. I love how it ends with "can't promise anything but wanted to see if you were looking for other income sources". Like, I have a postgraduate degree with a fine paying job for years and this guy has the galls to message me about my income sources.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1485 on: September 22, 2021, 04:52:49 PM »
I recently started working with one of my pledge bro's old teachers, Donald and his wife Sparkles [names changed for privacy]. They created a huge ongoing income that surpassed both their full-time jobs in their 30s. He just said they’re looking for a good candidate to work with. I really respect you and figured it wouldn't hurt to reach out even though we haven't talked in a while. Would be outside of what you got going on full time. Can’t promise anything but wanted to see if you were looking for other income sources?

My relative just messaged me this. First, he had me turned off at pledge bro. But it is not even his pledge bro who is in the MLM, it is one of their old teachers. I'm dying. I love how it ends with "can't promise anything but wanted to see if you were looking for other income sources". Like, I have a postgraduate degree with a fine paying job for years and this guy has the galls to message me about my income sources.

priceless

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1486 on: September 22, 2021, 08:36:22 PM »
One of my acquaintances apparently has stopped selling 31 Bags. She’s started talking up Epicure on her social media, so I assume that party invites are coming. Sigh. I have no idea why I should want to pay $7 for a tiny jar of a spice blend when I can buy all of the basic components for roughly the same price and make a load of the spice blend.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1487 on: September 23, 2021, 11:57:08 PM »

About 75% of that was probably cut and paste from a script he was given.

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1488 on: September 30, 2021, 06:47:12 PM »
Not the typical MLM story I guess, but when I was 17 I did occasional babysitting for a family up the street. The husband was a long-haul trucker and often gone for 5 days at a crack, and the wife was a second-shift worker who usually had her good friend babysit when the wife worked. In the summer there were days when the friend wasn't available and I would cover until the wife got home from work. A few times she would have some wine when she got home, the kids were sleeping, and she would get a little familiar. The dream of every 17yo boy.  Anyway, before long they got divorced and she moved to another neighborhood.

Three years later, she calls me out of the blue and invites me over for dinner. Imagine my imagination.  Got to her house, have dinner, sit down in the living room, a little chit-chat, then "By the way, prudent_one, I'm going to be rich. Do you want to come along?"

Wait, is this night going to be even better than I was thinking?

No, it was a pitch for selling Amway. That's all. Nothing else. I passed. Did not hear from her again.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1489 on: October 01, 2021, 12:19:06 PM »
Oh, you guys are going to love this, especially some of the comments. FWIW, I've been following The Frugal Girl since the beginning. Pete was probably still working a j-o-b then. Her site was a great help to me when I was counting every penny.

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/my-thoughts-on-lularich-and-mlms-as-a-whole/

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1490 on: October 06, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »
Oh, you guys are going to love this, especially some of the comments. FWIW, I've been following The Frugal Girl since the beginning. Pete was probably still working a j-o-b then. Her site was a great help to me when I was counting every penny.

Just saw the first episode.  Yikes! One LLR rep I know personally has moved over to selling Ziya athletic wear. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1491 on: October 06, 2021, 10:58:36 AM »
Just saw the first episode.  Yikes! One LLR rep I know personally has moved over to selling Ziya athletic wear.
I've seen this trend as well.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1492 on: October 06, 2021, 11:06:23 AM »

Thanks Dicey for this link.  I hadn't heard of the Frugal Girl before.  I like her style!

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1493 on: October 06, 2021, 05:39:46 PM »
There was an article in the Washington Post about Lularoe and Mormonism recently.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/10/04/allure-companies-like-lularoe-latter-day-saint-women/

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1494 on: October 25, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »
Yesterday, I saw an explanation of what MLM really stands for: Moms Losing Money.

Seems accurate. (And it may already be in this thread somewhere...)

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #1495 on: October 26, 2021, 03:40:51 AM »
Yesterday, I saw an explanation of what MLM really stands for: Moms Losing Money.

This, I think, is what makes me the most angry about MLMs. At least here in the US, mothers get two sets of conflicting messages: your value to home and society is staying home with kids, and your value to home and society are based in how many dollar bills you bring in. MLMs prey on the anxiety that this contradiction presents. This kind of “anxiety manufacture” where someone intentionally feeds anxiety in someone else (oh, you aren’t bringing in any money for the household with all your ‘free time’?) so that they can swoop in with the solution (join my MLM!) is one of my rage face triggers.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1496 on: October 26, 2021, 08:49:46 AM »

This, I think, is what makes me the most angry about MLMs. At least here in the US, mothers get two sets of conflicting messages: your value to home and society is staying home with kids, and your value to home and society are based in how many dollar bills you bring in. MLMs prey on the anxiety that this contradiction presents. This kind of “anxiety manufacture” where someone intentionally feeds anxiety in someone else (oh, you aren’t bringing in any money for the household with all your ‘free time’?) so that they can swoop in with the solution (join my MLM!) is one of my rage face triggers.
That's really a good point--it's important to remember that a SAHP provides a whole lot of value, only some of which is easy to calculate.  When I start figuring how much it would cost to outsource all the things my wife does, it's staggering.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1497 on: October 27, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »
The FTC has sent out some new warning letters.  There is a link within this link to all the companies that received the warning.  29 pages, with many names I recognize (amway, beach body, amsoil, mary kay, avon, thirty-one gifts (I think that's the same as thirty-one that sells bags?), avon) and so many more I don't.

Though I do wonder what "Andy's Burgers Shakes & Fries" did to attract the FTC's attention.  (ETA: I'm guessing it's some kind of franchise... I'd never heard of it, just thought it was funny to see a name like that on the list.)

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2021/10/ftc-puts-businesses-notice-false-money-making-claims-could-lead?fbclid=IwAR3EpHXeBTUaD8bQ_BWRnHmrQwANuwDCEM-AJ9RYcagrrfgl-jJr14JTPGo
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:41:48 AM by sparkytheop »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1498 on: October 27, 2021, 03:01:08 PM »
That's really a good point--it's important to remember that a SAHP provides a whole lot of value, only some of which is easy to calculate.  When I start figuring how much it would cost to outsource all the things my wife does, it's staggering.

When I was a SAHM and homeschooling the kids, DH and I had term life insurance policies and mine was as much as his. We figured the loss of my labour would cost him as much to substitute as the loss of his income would cost me.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1499 on: December 15, 2021, 07:08:17 PM »
For those haven't seen, there's some good AntiMLM stuff on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiMLM/