Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639508 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1400 on: October 14, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »
Beachbody actually has decent workouts. I just don't need a disgusting shake.

You can get the workouts online without a "coach".
Yep.  I really enjoy the workouts.  Not so much "you should drink Energize before this workout." or "Beachbody recovery formula would be perfect after this workout." ads...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1401 on: October 14, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »
How many of these things would be available from a low cost Asian supplier on the internet - the clothing, the gear, etc?

Substitute products are available for all of them.  Usually the actual product isn't just a rebranded generic though.

But a substitute product for pretty much MLM is available EVERYWHERE. None of them sell anything unique.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1402 on: October 15, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
I joined a local moms internet group, which people seem to be using to shill their MLMs.  It's really sad to see other new people join, looking for community and social connections, but instead getting sales pitches for these dumb companies. 

There are also posts along the lines of, "Hi everyone, I just had a baby and am looking for some part-time work from home. Does anyone have ideas?"  The responses are just an MLM feeding frenzy. I can't bear to watch!

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1403 on: October 16, 2020, 02:06:00 PM »
I was following the story about Trump retweeting an article from Babylon Bee (similar to "The Onion" - a satire website) and just happened to see this beauty:

https://babylonbee.com/news/babylon-mom-how-this-momboss-almost-breaks-even-with-essential-oils

And it contains gems like these:

"This is the part where people usually say, “Hey, that sounds like a pyramid scheme!” But if it were truly a pyramid scheme, would it involve being contractually obligated to purchase products you don’t need so that the person who recruited you can get a cut of those proceeds? I don't think so!"

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1404 on: October 16, 2020, 03:16:20 PM »
How many of these things would be available from a low cost Asian supplier on the internet - the clothing, the gear, etc?

Substitute products are available for all of them.  Usually the actual product isn't just a rebranded generic though.

But a substitute product for pretty much MLM is available EVERYWHERE. None of them sell anything unique.

I was thinking of all the things I've searched for online only to discover one specific version rebranded with 30 different names. Wondered if MLM stuff was every like this.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1405 on: October 16, 2020, 04:53:58 PM »

I was thinking of all the things I've searched for online only to discover one specific version rebranded with 30 different names. Wondered if MLM stuff was every like this.

Pretty much. Or it's more expensive and worse quality, like Lularoe clothing or Lipsense impermeable liquid lipstick.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1406 on: October 16, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
I was following the story about Trump retweeting an article from Babylon Bee (similar to "The Onion" - a satire website) and just happened to see this beauty:

https://babylonbee.com/news/babylon-mom-how-this-momboss-almost-breaks-even-with-essential-oils

"This is the part where people usually say, “Hey, that sounds like a pyramid scheme!” But if it were truly a pyramid scheme, would it involve being contractually obligated to purchase products you don’t need so that the person who recruited you can get a cut of those proceeds? I don't think so!"

That was a great piece. Thanks for posting it!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: October 17, 2020, 11:03:22 PM »

That was absolute gold, nothing beats a good MLM roast

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: November 10, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »
I asked a relative of mine if he thought of taking vitamins because he seemed tired. I added that I had been B deficient, and that with just one simple fix I was feeling better.

Mistakenly assuming he didn't think me a total motherfucking asshole with an ulterior motive, I hit send. "Worst case scenario," I thought, "he knows I'm thinking of him."

Nope. He comes back telling that it sounds like I got myself into selling vitamins and he wasn't buying.

I almost replied, NOT JUST VITAMINS, BUT AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR!!!!!!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1409 on: November 11, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »
I asked a relative of mine if he thought of taking vitamins because he seemed tired. I added that I had been B deficient, and that with just one simple fix I was feeling better.

Mistakenly assuming he didn't think me a total motherfucking asshole with an ulterior motive, I hit send. "Worst case scenario," I thought, "he knows I'm thinking of him."

Nope. He comes back telling that it sounds like I got myself into selling vitamins and he wasn't buying.

I almost replied, NOT JUST VITAMINS, BUT AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR!!!!!!

LOL

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1410 on: November 12, 2020, 07:10:34 AM »
The beachbody workouts are actually pretty good, just don't buy their overpriced shakes and other stuff.  My GF and I share a monthly sub to the online workouts.  It's considerably cheaper than a gym membership and more effective, at least for us.  No trekking to the gym, fighting for weights, people who don't wipe down equipment, etc...but yes, I have known a couple "coaches".  Not sure what exactly they do.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1411 on: November 12, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »
My best friend has apparently agreed to host an online Pampered Chef party for another friend.  While I do like the PC items that I've inherited over the years, I just don't need any more stuff in my kitchen and don't want to support an MLM.  I hope they don't like put me on the spot. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1412 on: November 19, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
oh my goodness.  Have you seen this article!? Is this real life?  "Ponzi Scheme Suspect Uses Underwater Scooter to Flee F.B.I.
After a chase, Matthew Piercey disappeared underwater using a submersible scooter, the authorities said. When he surfaced, agents were waiting with dry clothes his wife had provided."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/us/matthew-piercey-ponzi-scheme.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR28IKhK9t10W6hhM29hxpEMPio4qJR1Fou-xLW7pc0RrVcbUhzua3JrB84

(In the past week I have been invited to a norwix party, a pampered chef party and... another "home shopping" party and I can't figure out how to get out of seeing all those posts on my Facebook without blocking the inviters.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1413 on: November 19, 2020, 02:22:20 PM »
The beachbody workouts are actually pretty good, just don't buy their overpriced shakes and other stuff.  My GF and I share a monthly sub to the online workouts.  It's considerably cheaper than a gym membership and more effective, at least for us.  No trekking to the gym, fighting for weights, people who don't wipe down equipment, etc...but yes, I have known a couple "coaches".  Not sure what exactly they do.
They "give support", make recommendations, and run Facebook support groups.

So, for example, a new program comes out and they get people to sign up and pay for it (new programs don't come out on BOD for several months, so you have to pay for early access).  Then, they pick a "start date" and they all workout "together" and high five each other, etc.  Some coaches are actually fitness trainers or nutritionists, so they can also make dietary recommendations, etc.

For certain people, it can be helpful.  Much like WW, some success comes in with a feeling of belonging.

One of the people I know locally who is a BB coach actually owns a fitness business and (when gyms aren't closed), runs twice daily workouts, meaning he has a large screen TV and he and the folks who show up work out together.  (Usually only 1-4 people, tbh.)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1414 on: November 19, 2020, 02:22:38 PM »
Are people gathering in person for these parties? In 2020?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1415 on: November 19, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »
oh my goodness.  Have you seen this article!? Is this real life?  "Ponzi Scheme Suspect Uses Underwater Scooter to Flee F.B.I.
After a chase, Matthew Piercey disappeared underwater using a submersible scooter, the authorities said. When he surfaced, agents were waiting with dry clothes his wife had provided."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/us/matthew-piercey-ponzi-scheme.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR28IKhK9t10W6hhM29hxpEMPio4qJR1Fou-xLW7pc0RrVcbUhzua3JrB84

(In the past week I have been invited to a norwix party, a pampered chef party and... another "home shopping" party and I can't figure out how to get out of seeing all those posts on my Facebook without blocking the inviters.)

You could do a temporary hide (I think it's 30 days) for the poster. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1416 on: November 19, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »

You could do a temporary hide (I think it's 30 days) for the poster.
You can also just unfollow people.  You're still friends, but you don't see their stuff unless you go to their wall.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1417 on: November 19, 2020, 06:33:59 PM »
I’ve declined the invites but it still shows me posts with this header. Oh well!  I need less social media anyway.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1418 on: November 24, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
One of my FB acquaintances has been posting lately about something a friend of her's is doing.  The amount of emojis in the message is distinctly in MLM territory.  But it's for credit repair and how you can have bad trade lines removed "whether you owe them or not."  Having spent the better part of three years rehabbing my ex-husband's credit, I'm familiar with the process, but that seems way shady.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1419 on: December 02, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »
Are people gathering in person for these parties? In 2020?

No, usually they're online video "parties" that are basically just people watching a hun give a presentation and try to convince them to buy crap. There's usually a few other huns planted in the audience to comment a bunch and try to drum up interest, but they're about as entertaining as a root canal for anyone else.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1420 on: December 02, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
Ack, I participated in a friend's FB usborne book party because I wanted to be nice. I bought two books, and that was fine. BUT THEN I got the notification that I 'won' the door prize. Silly me, I thought it would be, you know, a book. It wasn't. Option one for my prize was that I get to 'host a party,' and if I do, then I get $20 in free books (that's about 2 books for the pleasure of harassing all my closest friends). Option two, is free shipping on my next order of $40 or more. I chose the free shipping, and I won't be ordering. Gah!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1421 on: December 03, 2020, 02:43:08 AM »
Ack, I participated in a friend's FB usborne book party because I wanted to be nice. I bought two books, and that was fine. BUT THEN I got the notification that I 'won' the door prize. Silly me, I thought it would be, you know, a book. It wasn't. Option one for my prize was that I get to 'host a party,' and if I do, then I get $20 in free books (that's about 2 books for the pleasure of harassing all my closest friends). Option two, is free shipping on my next order of $40 or more. I chose the free shipping, and I won't be ordering. Gah!

Points for cleverness. You either become a seller or remain a customer.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: December 03, 2020, 07:10:27 AM »

I'd bet money that everybody in attendance "won" the door prize. If you can call it a prize.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1423 on: December 03, 2020, 07:57:52 AM »
I have someone on FB involved with what appears to be a CBD oil MLM.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1424 on: December 03, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
Has anyone seen a useful effect of CBD oil? A friend gave me a little bottle. I couldn't see any benefits. It seems to everywhere though.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1425 on: December 03, 2020, 12:33:03 PM »
Has anyone seen a useful effect of CBD oil? A friend gave me a little bottle. I couldn't see any benefits. It seems to everywhere though.

It's the new essential oil that makes all the rest nonessential... although they kind of already were.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1426 on: December 03, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »
It's one of those things that you buy because you have a pre-existing specific need that this would work for.. and there is some research (not fully concluded) that suggests that it needs to have tiny bit of active compounds, say at 5-10% ratio to the CBD to be effective.  Synergistic effect or something.

Lots of seniors with underlying on-going physical ailments love it (and the active variety of oil too).   These are people that would never drink to excess or enjoy drugs otherwise, all their lives.   That suggests that there is something to it, not just addictive reasons.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1427 on: December 03, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
It's one of those things that you buy because you have a pre-existing specific need that this would work for.. and there is some research (not fully concluded) that suggests that it needs to have tiny bit of active compounds, say at 5-10% ratio to the CBD to be effective.  Synergistic effect or something.

Lots of seniors with underlying on-going physical ailments love it (and the active variety of oil too).   These are people that would never drink to excess or enjoy drugs otherwise, all their lives.   That suggests that there is something to it, not just addictive reasons.

I think it's unregulated, so the quality is wildly diverse. I'm not willing to dismiss it as snake oil yet...although I wouldn't actually try it unless I knew a lot about the source of whatever I was trying.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #1428 on: December 03, 2020, 02:26:55 PM »

A friend has been a whitewater guide on the central Idaho Rivers - Middle Fork, Salmon, etc - for more than 55 years.  It can snow any night of the year up there, and the water is never warm; early/late seasons, slushy with ice.  His hands hurt every morning as he rolls out of the sleeping bag.  He rubs CBD oil into them, and claims it helps them feel enough better for another painless day of rowing.  Seems like small potatoes to build a billion-dollar industry on, but then he is not a stoner and not given to gabble - if he says it works, I'll try it.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1429 on: December 04, 2020, 05:21:22 AM »

A friend has been a whitewater guide on the central Idaho Rivers - Middle Fork, Salmon, etc - for more than 55 years.  It can snow any night of the year up there, and the water is never warm; early/late seasons, slushy with ice.  His hands hurt every morning as he rolls out of the sleeping bag.  He rubs CBD oil into them, and claims it helps them feel enough better for another painless day of rowing.  Seems like small potatoes to build a billion-dollar industry on, but then he is not a stoner and not given to gabble - if he says it works, I'll try it.

A layer of any kind of oil at all would keep your hands dryer and warmer and thus less painful, though. In his application the benefit may be from the "oil" part rather than the "CBD" part.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1430 on: December 04, 2020, 10:12:54 AM »
Sounds like a good application for wet suits or dry suits or whatever the equipment - with gloves. I don't dive so I don't know the equipment.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: December 04, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »
Sounds like a good application for wet suits or dry suits or whatever the equipment - with gloves. I don't dive so I don't know the equipment.

Diving suits probably aren't the best for rafting.  But there are sailing wetsuits and drysuits that might suffice for this. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1432 on: December 04, 2020, 10:38:03 AM »
I gave my now deceased kitty Sibley CBD treats in an attempt to help her arthritis. There's a lot of woo out there about CBD, but the cat was more comfortable and moved better as evidenced by her behavior and activity level. And it was a pretty clear improvement over about a week's time once I started her on it. My conclusion was that it seemed to reduce inflammation related to the arthritis, thus reducing discomfort. More than that, we need quality research and standardized products to really understand and use it effectively. I bought the treats from a website that was as legit seeming as I could find.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1433 on: December 04, 2020, 10:40:52 AM »
Invited to a Pampered Chef event... uh thanks, but no thanks.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1434 on: December 30, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »

Former MN Governor Jesse Ventura said that someone he knows used it to stop seizures. It was a prescription, not OTC.

Someone I know was taking it for anxiety and didn't think there was a difference, but her kids said she seemed like she was feeling better.

No personal knowledge.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1435 on: January 01, 2021, 06:10:15 PM »
Anxiety was our use, no change. Placebo effect?

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1436 on: January 02, 2021, 05:44:10 AM »
Just think - there are likely thousands of "I'm-my-own-boss" Team Leaders who are texting, messaging, and emailing their "team members" to set ridiculous New Year's goals so they can reach "Diamond-Sapphire-Exclusive-Winner-Level" status this year. When in reality, most of those "team members" will buy too much inventory out of their own pocket and will spend all their free time souring family relationships & friendships just so they can get a small check from a corporation that could care less about them - a check that doesn't cover their actual expenses. These goals will involve how many ridiculous social media messages to post and how many people they used to know in 3rd grade to reach out to. And at some point, these team members (#myownboss) will wonder why they can't reach the success of the people they trot out as success stories - and they don't realize that those people got in at the beginning and are making their money on the backs of the newbies, not from being a great salesperson.

When manipulated, hope can be a dangerous thing.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1437 on: January 02, 2021, 08:49:43 AM »
I’ve actually worked for a former executive of one of these MLMs. I was very hesitant to accept the role because of her background but everything about the company I was joining made it worth it. It was very fascinating seeing into her mind. She actually was just fine in her role running the business, but every chance she got she tried to suggest “direct selling” as a way to help grow sales. Luckily, nobody else in the room took her serious on that topic. She legitimately believed in that business model and has went on to work for a few different MLMs since.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1438 on: January 02, 2021, 09:52:36 AM »
I worked in the corporate environment for a large multi-national MLM for about 5 years. They treat their employees very, very well and most folks just want to get a job done.

That being said, you see the cracks if you look. I couldn't deal with the business model anymore so I finally left. Everyone I know who has left has said the same thing, there is this burden that you don't even realize is weighing on you and it suddenly lifts as soon as you find a different job.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1439 on: January 03, 2021, 06:12:07 PM »
Just think - there are likely thousands of "I'm-my-own-boss" Team Leaders who are texting, messaging, and emailing their "team members" to set ridiculous New Year's goals

The large purchase of inventory is proof that you're "serious," and will get you the pat on the back, and a coffee date with the high pubah who will also pat your back.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1440 on: January 04, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
Not unlike political donors... We accept your donation, smile and take pictures with you, build you up - and move on to the next VIP donor.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1441 on: January 16, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »
Ok, yikes, I wasn’t sure about posting this, but I think some input from you all might be useful.  Earlier this year, a work colleague sent me an email about something crypto currency related, it looked like an email that was sent out to a large list of contacts and I thought his email had probably just been hacked and had sent out some spam without his knowledge, so I didn’t even click on it.  Well, a few months later he mentioned he wanted to get together and talk about investing in a “gold-backed crypto currency”.  I have no interest in buying into anything like that.  Was with our boss at the time and we both listened a bit, but shrugged it off.  Well, recently he mentioned it again and wants to get together to talk more about it, so out of morbid curiosity I went back to the original email to see what I could learn about it.  Oh man, it’s so much worse than just another pointless coin, it’s basically from a company that runs a terrible MLM scheme selling tiny gold bars to people at an absurd markup and there’s a huge pyramid based referral program to sign up other distributors at huge upfront cost.  I know the rational move is to politely decline a meeting because I’m not interested, but I can’t help but wonder if I can meet with him and ask questions in a way that helps him re-evaluate his investment.  (btw, he has 5 figures in these coins atm, so the stakes for him are pretty high).

An update from just over a year later, I did mention my concerns to this co-worker, but he mostly shrugged it off and didn’t seem interested in my input, only signing me up to buy in.  He hasn’t brought up anything about this since, and from what I can tell of the price of this coin in the last year has completely collapsed - his $35k portfolio at the time of original post is now worth around $250 if he left everything as-is.  Hopefully he hasn’t put anything more in. 

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: January 19, 2021, 12:30:08 PM »
Ok, yikes, I wasn’t sure about posting this, but I think some input from you all might be useful.  Earlier this year, a work colleague sent me an email about something crypto currency related, it looked like an email that was sent out to a large list of contacts and I thought his email had probably just been hacked and had sent out some spam without his knowledge, so I didn’t even click on it.  Well, a few months later he mentioned he wanted to get together and talk about investing in a “gold-backed crypto currency”.  I have no interest in buying into anything like that.  Was with our boss at the time and we both listened a bit, but shrugged it off.  Well, recently he mentioned it again and wants to get together to talk more about it, so out of morbid curiosity I went back to the original email to see what I could learn about it.  Oh man, it’s so much worse than just another pointless coin, it’s basically from a company that runs a terrible MLM scheme selling tiny gold bars to people at an absurd markup and there’s a huge pyramid based referral program to sign up other distributors at huge upfront cost.  I know the rational move is to politely decline a meeting because I’m not interested, but I can’t help but wonder if I can meet with him and ask questions in a way that helps him re-evaluate his investment.  (btw, he has 5 figures in these coins atm, so the stakes for him are pretty high).

An update from just over a year later, I did mention my concerns to this co-worker, but he mostly shrugged it off and didn’t seem interested in my input, only signing me up to buy in.  He hasn’t brought up anything about this since, and from what I can tell of the price of this coin in the last year has completely collapsed - his $35k portfolio at the time of original post is now worth around $250 if he left everything as-is.  Hopefully he hasn’t put anything more in.

Very sad, but it happens.

A good friend of mine spent about 4 years researching Bitcoin and others before buying in. At first he jumped on Ripple (XRP) and then backed out when he saw something the average person buying it couldn't see. Something about the founder selling off his coins over the course of a year - lots of them. He took a small loss, and jumped into Bitcoin, which is doing okay for him.

He said you have to be able to stomach 30% daily swings, and also have a large distrust of currency stability.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1443 on: March 29, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »
Well, lost a decade-long friendship (dude was in our wedding, we went on the cruise they decided on for theirs - I really hope this conflict doesn't completely kill our wives friendship) because as it turns out, he went and joined a fucking crypto-MLM scheme. I doubt he realizes what is happening yet, but when I was hearing about these things in 2018, he was neck deep trying to make an expensive gaming hobby profitable via what I would characterize as the unofficial "Twitch Amazon Prime Subscription" MLM scheme that was all the rage back then.

Basically out of nowhere this guy wants to talk about "stocks". Fun fact - reddit calls crypto currency and literally anything that you can trade easily "stocks". Original plan was to be day-trading crypto, appears that hasn't worked out and switched to mining (notably chose a mining pool that features a network-marketing referral structure . . .). Sudden change in language - guy is pretty much gone to this particular MLM cult now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:21:38 PM by dandarc »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: April 22, 2021, 06:46:51 AM »
We may have inadvertently given business to an MLM.

My wife and I have both been wanting to get into better shape, and one of my wife's best friends has lost a lot of weight in the last year using a program called Beach Body. She let us use her login for the app, so that we can get the exercise videos for free. She also is letting us get pre-workout and recovery at her cost.

I had no idea that it was an MLM until another of my wife's co-workers offered her a deal on the program (not knowing that we're using the program for a lot cheaper through the friend). Then I started to do a little bit of research into the program and discovered that it's an MLM that's been around a while.

Granted, the friend is clearly not trying to make money off of us or recruit my wife to start selling the product. The product (app with different workouts & pre/post-workout) have given us good results, but I feel a bit uneasy about giving any money to an MLM. I think that once I finish the current batch of pre-workout and recovery, that I'll just get stuff at Wal-Mart instead.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1445 on: April 27, 2021, 11:08:19 AM »
@DadJokes Beach Body is the least MLM-y of the MLM's, though it's true that it is one.  The MLM side is mostly the supplements and drinks and such.  The workouts truly are good workouts, and I think they're available to purchase directly through the website rather than needing to sign up through someone "selling" them.  But I have had some friends and neighbors join, become "coaches", and start doing all the social media posts on how great it is, motivational/inspirational quotes on pretty pictures, workout pics, etc.  The enthusiasm usually lasts less than 18 months.  After that they may still participate, but they stop posting about it so much.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1446 on: April 27, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »
We may have inadvertently given business to an MLM.

My wife and I have both been wanting to get into better shape, and one of my wife's best friends has lost a lot of weight in the last year using a program called Beach Body. She let us use her login for the app, so that we can get the exercise videos for free. She also is letting us get pre-workout and recovery at her cost.

I had no idea that it was an MLM until another of my wife's co-workers offered her a deal on the program (not knowing that we're using the program for a lot cheaper through the friend). Then I started to do a little bit of research into the program and discovered that it's an MLM that's been around a while.

Granted, the friend is clearly not trying to make money off of us or recruit my wife to start selling the product. The product (app with different workouts & pre/post-workout) have given us good results, but I feel a bit uneasy about giving any money to an MLM. I think that once I finish the current batch of pre-workout and recovery, that I'll just get stuff at Wal-Mart instead.
Beachbody is surely an MLM.  I think it's gotten a little LESS MLM-y since Beachbody on Demand, though.

I started using the workouts (back when they were DVDs), and became a "discount coach" for the discounts.  I really liked Shakeology.  But, it's expensive and then it started disagreeing with my digestion.  Then they came out with the streaming service.

After the streaming service ($99/year), there was no reason to be a coach anymore.  I wasn't using any of the products (pre workout and recovery).  I love trying all the workouts - DH and I have done significant portions (if not the full program) of P90X, LIIFT4, 21 day fix, Hammer and Chisel, PiYo, and MBF.  One way that BB makes money is to charge for "early access" for new workouts.  So, a new program comes out, and you pay for it.  But in 6 months it's free.  Do you need to pay for it to get it 6 months early?  Sometimes, the answer is yes if it really appeals to you.  Otherwise, it's almost exclusively COACHES who are paying for it, and encouraging others to sign up with them, and in the meantime selling them preworkout or recovery or whatever.

I can't imagine that it's much of a money maker anymore.  I used to know quite a lot of coaches (I do live in So Cal), and several of them made actual money at it, but a LOT of the money comes from building a "downline".  With the release of BOD, people just don't need to have a coach to get access to the workouts.  I imagine most people just do what we do.  At least, I haven't seen many posts of earning "free" vacations lately, and not just because of COVID.

I mean, I can't even bring myself to buy their gear.  I've done some of the workouts from 80 day obsession, which requires sliders.  You know, the sliders, if I buy them through BB and a friend, were close to $30. On Amazon?  $11.  Sorry.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #1447 on: April 30, 2021, 11:26:44 PM »
I’ve been invited via FAceboom THREE times to some make-up party being thrown by hubs’s cousin.  She posted a picture of her face all made up complete with exclamations of how much she loves this stuff; kinda looked like a “painted lady” to me. Whatever, but stop shoving it down my throat.

Did I mention that I haven’t worn makeup for at least 5 years, and I don’t plan to start now?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: May 20, 2021, 09:17:44 AM »
I've just found out about a new one - Experior Financial. Apparently they were founded in Canada and have now expanded to 18 states. Their agents sell insurance and other investments through network marketing. Why is it that every MLM goes out of their way to say that they are not an MLM, but then operates exactly like an MLM?

A friend of mine who is already into beachbody is thinking of getting into this one too, and I listened to the presentation with her in the hopes that if I knew more about it, I could convince her not to join. There are registration fees, exam fees, insurance fees, and monthly fees to use the program that add up to at least 90 bucks a month, and you only get paid based on commission from sales and the sales of the agents operating on your team. But you are a "business owner".

I feel like these companies prey on people who are already bad with money, and make their financial situation even worse. Most people don't need the kind of insurance they are selling, but it appeals to their worries and fears. The investments have really high fees and trailing commissions, so again, not a good deal for the person investing. They preach "financial education and empowerment" but they're really offering indebted people very expensive products and investments when they could be teaching them about index funds, but obviously that wouldn't make them any money.

Anyway, hope I can convince my friend it's a bad idea to join.. wish me luck. I'm all for financial education, but not like this bullshit.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1449 on: May 20, 2021, 01:19:38 PM »
Good luck!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!