Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639445 times)

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1300 on: November 19, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
I started telling folks a few years ago when every MLM was running through the neighborhood moms like the plague, that I had decided to not participate in ANY company that does direct marketing. I explained it wasn't personal, I just have a rule that I don't go to parties to support direct selling, and I don't buy projects from direct marketing (or anything else that's sold via Facebook). There is just too many of them and so I decided to say no to all of them. But "I truly wish you the best of luck with your new venture".
So far it's worked pretty well. It's not worth getting into why you think it's a scam, why this company is different than that company etc, etc.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1301 on: November 19, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
My friend just told me that she signed up to be a beachbody coach..

I care about her very much and don't want her to get ripped off, and I also don't want to buy those products or do a fitness challenge or whatever else is involved with this. I'm happy that she's taking fitness seriously again, that part of it is good, but this company is garbage and I know she already isn't in the best financial shape (which is probably why she wants to start doing this on the side).
Help! Can I/Should I tell her this is a scam? Should I just politely decline to participate and let this run its course?
Probably politely decline.

Full disclosure: I was a (discount only) BB coach for about 4 years.  I signed up to buy a program (it came with Shakeology).  I actually loved the program (helped me lose all the baby weight), Shakeo was delicious, but I had no desire to turn it into a business, so I didn't.  I think that is true for many BB coaches.

I also fortunately (or not) knew a lot of other BB coaches.  My immediate "upline" (a coworker) in my same boat.  Like the products, but that's about it.  Well then, a couple of years ago, I started having digestive issues and could no longer drink the Shakeo.  So, I started canceling my deliveries.  Then BB came out with Beachbody On Demand, which is essentially access to ALL their videos (and food programs) for $99 / year.  I thought, at the time "this has GOT to be the end of BB as a side hustle".)

At that point, I already knew a couple of coaches who were making good money at some point had quit because the market was saturated.  A very good friend of mine had signed up to be a coach.  HER coach quit, so she eventually quit.  What surprised me is that her coach signed up again later, and so did she.  This second time she signed up, she kept asking me to sign up under her.  At this point, what do you do?  I told her that I was *already* a coach (but had been too lazy to cancel).  I finally decided to cancel (then realized at that point that my upline and hers had both canceled already, so they weren't making any money off me anyway).  There's a 6 month wait if you cancel being a coach before you are allowed to sign up again as a coach.  That got me off the hook.  I agreed to sign up to be a customer for her (without buying anything).

I really really wanted to tell her that this just isn't a good business model.  From what I'd seen just watching others over the 4 years...I love the videos, I like having BB on demand at my fingertips for when I don't feel like leaving the house and want to do yoga in my PJs.  It's a good value.  But the rest of it?  Nope.  You aren't going to make real money.  I get the desire to be healthy and to "help people" but this isn't the way to do it.

Even though she is a good friend of mine, I just let it go.  You know "don't get in the way of people doing things" and all that.  She just quit last week.

I don't have proof, but I think the vast majority of BB money comes from "coaches".  It's not customers.  If there's a new program out, and you want to get a group together to do it, and get them to buy the program and the shakeology - the COACH has to buy it first.  Then you have all these "coaches" buying early access to the programs. 

Streaming service is awesome, the blog has great recipes, there's a lot of useful information in there.  But it's really no way to make money, that's a total scam.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:17:09 AM by mm1970 »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1302 on: November 19, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »
My friend just told me that she signed up to be a beachbody coach..

I care about her very much and don't want her to get ripped off, and I also don't want to buy those products or do a fitness challenge or whatever else is involved with this. I'm happy that she's taking fitness seriously again, that part of it is good, but this company is garbage and I know she already isn't in the best financial shape (which is probably why she wants to start doing this on the side).
Help! Can I/Should I tell her this is a scam? Should I just politely decline to participate and let this run its course?
Then BB came out with Beachbody On Demand, which is essentially access to ALL their videos (and food programs) for $99 / year.  I thought, at the time "this has GOT to be the end of BB as a side hustle".)

I don't have proof, but I think the vast majority of BB money comes from "coaches".  It's not customers.  If there's a new program out, and you want to get a group together to do it, and get them to buy the program and the shakeology - the COACH has to buy it first.  Then you have all these "coaches" buying early access to the programs. 

Streaming service is awesome, the blog has great recipes, there's a lot of useful information in there.  But it's really no way to make money, that's a total scam.

If $99/year gets you a menu of training videos and recipes that's a steal as far as online subscriptions go.  My video game service costs that much and is far worse for my health than a diet program.

Regarding the coaches being the primary source of income for BB corporate, that's normal for MLMs.  Whoever is pitching the product usually has to buy it first which is when corporate makes their money. Whether that person can sell it themselves is irrelevant to the corporate business model.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #1303 on: November 24, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »
Here's a different take on the MLM/pyramid scheme: the vanishing crypto-queen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50435014

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1304 on: November 25, 2019, 07:48:37 AM »
Here's a different take on the MLM/pyramid scheme: the vanishing crypto-queen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50435014

That was great. I think my favorite part was this:

"I did the calculation how many coins we needed to become the richest person on the planet," Igor says. "I said to Andreea, 'We need to build it up to 100 million coins, because when this coin goes to €100 and we have 100 million, we are richer than Bill Gates.' It's mathematic. It's easy as that."

From the dates, this appears to have been written in 2016, at which point Bill Gates' net worth was ~$85 billion, or ~€77 billion (estimating an exchange rate around USD 1.00 = EUR 0.90 for that time).

€100 times 100 million is €10 billion.

Their "It's mathematic. It's easy as that." is off by a factor of 10, or, you know, €67 billion.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: November 26, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
Ok, yikes, I wasn’t sure about posting this, but I think some input from you all might be useful.  Earlier this year, a work colleague sent me an email about something crypto currency related, it looked like an email that was sent out to a large list of contacts and I thought his email had probably just been hacked and had sent out some spam without his knowledge, so I didn’t even click on it.  Well, a few months later he mentioned he wanted to get together and talk about investing in a “gold-backed crypto currency”.  I have no interest in buying into anything like that.  Was with our boss at the time and we both listened a bit, but shrugged it off.  Well, recently he mentioned it again and wants to get together to talk more about it, so out of morbid curiosity I went back to the original email to see what I could learn about it.  Oh man, it’s so much worse than just another pointless coin, it’s basically from a company that runs a terrible MLM scheme selling tiny gold bars to people at an absurd markup and there’s a huge pyramid based referral program to sign up other distributors at huge upfront cost.  I know the rational move is to politely decline a meeting because I’m not interested, but I can’t help but wonder if I can meet with him and ask questions in a way that helps him re-evaluate his investment.  (btw, he has 5 figures in these coins atm, so the stakes for him are pretty high). 

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1306 on: November 26, 2019, 01:50:41 PM »
@JAYSLOL , it's a very tough spot to be in, knowing someone, wanting to help, but not knowing if the message will be received.  I've got a family member knee deep in Revolution Financial, an offshoot of World Financial Group, and after 10 months of work, they managed to get to the lowest rung, "Associate".  The social media posts over the plaque they were presented rivaled an Oscar acceptance speech, and also called out all the haters telling them it's an MLM, scam, or pyramid scheme.  It's truly amazing how these companies mimic cults!  Best I can do right now is warn family members to NOT buy into the Indexed Universal Life policies they are shilling.

I did find this article helpful; maybe you will too.  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43e573/how-to-get-a-friend-out-of-an-mlm-herbalife-amway-younique-

And if you really do want to do a deep dive, Elle's Poonique Blog and the Sounds Like MLM Podcast are worth the time.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1307 on: November 26, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »
@JAYSLOL , it's a very tough spot to be in, knowing someone, wanting to help, but not knowing if the message will be received.  I've got a family member knee deep in Revolution Financial, an offshoot of World Financial Group, and after 10 months of work, they managed to get to the lowest rung, "Associate".  The social media posts over the plaque they were presented rivaled an Oscar acceptance speech, and also called out all the haters telling them it's an MLM, scam, or pyramid scheme.  It's truly amazing how these companies mimic cults!  Best I can do right now is warn family members to NOT buy into the Indexed Universal Life policies they are shilling.

I did find this article helpful; maybe you will too.  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43e573/how-to-get-a-friend-out-of-an-mlm-herbalife-amway-younique-

And if you really do want to do a deep dive, Elle's Poonique Blog and the Sounds Like MLM Podcast are worth the time.

Thanks, I did have a read through that article, the extra hard part of this case is the intangible bullshit of the crypto currency aspect of it.  It’s perhaps a bit easier to show someone that the numbers don’t add up when buying overpriced beauty products and trying to resell them.  Not so easy to kill the hype from a company about some coin that’s going to go to the moon because of bs reasons you have no way of proving or disproving.  And the dude should know better, he knows how to run the numbers, he works in finance for crying out loud.  Feels good to vent a bit, lol

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1308 on: November 29, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »
Yes, I completely understand!  You buy some crappy lipstick, your finances aren't ruined.  You start peddling investments like crypto and an all-in one life insurance/savings product, and the damage can be much more difficult to figure out, while at the same time, the damage can be far worse!  The crap my family members peddle is roughly $200/mo, and they tell people that their beneficiary gets the security of a payout if they die (life insurance), and at the same time, they are investing in the market, but in a much less riskier way, so that they don't sustain the losses when the market goes down.  Of course, they neglect to mention that they also lose out on most of the earnings when the market goes up.  And that the monthly premiums are variable, so after a few years, those monthly payments skyrocket so much that most people bail on the "investment".  The only winners are the ones at the top of the pyramid, and the company.  How these schemes remain legal is beyond me!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1309 on: November 29, 2019, 04:57:08 PM »
Yes, I completely understand!  You buy some crappy lipstick, your finances aren't ruined.  You start peddling investments like crypto and an all-in one life insurance/savings product, and the damage can be much more difficult to figure out, while at the same time, the damage can be far worse!  The crap my family members peddle is roughly $200/mo, and they tell people that their beneficiary gets the security of a payout if they die (life insurance), and at the same time, they are investing in the market, but in a much less riskier way, so that they don't sustain the losses when the market goes down.  Of course, they neglect to mention that they also lose out on most of the earnings when the market goes up.  And that the monthly premiums are variable, so after a few years, those monthly payments skyrocket so much that most people bail on the "investment".  The only winners are the ones at the top of the pyramid, and the company.  How these schemes remain legal is beyond me!

Wow, that’s also really awful.  I’m guessing you tried talking them out of it already?  If so, I’m guessing it didn’t go over well?

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1310 on: November 29, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »
I found some brand-new LulaRoe shirts and leggings at a thrift store recently. They were really poor quality, no better than something you would buy on a Wal-mart clearance rack. You could definitely tell they would fall apart, pill, and/or stretch out of shape after a few washes. They weren't even worth thrift store prices!
I have a friend who has a 'LulaRoe problem' and often hosts parties for the discounts. She doesn't sell herself, but she's still hundred (thousands??) of dollars into this scheme. She also works two jobs to try to pay off her debt. But keeps buying that crap!

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #1311 on: December 11, 2019, 10:23:17 AM »
If you have Showtime: there is a new TV Series starring Kirsten Dunst about a MLM/Pyramid scheme (Likely based on Amway). Two episodes out, and I'm hooked.

"On becoming a god in central Florida"

I just started watching this show, I'm 3 episodes in. It is fascinating and terrifying. Although I doubt it will do well, it must alienate anyone involved in an MLM. My husband and I keep asking, "I wonder what people in an MLM think about this episode/scene/show?" The answer must be that *their* company is different and nothing like FAM (the company in the show).

MLMs are such good fodder for a dark comedy.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #1312 on: December 11, 2019, 02:03:00 PM »
I have a friend who has a 'LulaRoe problem' and often hosts parties for the discounts. She doesn't sell herself, but she's still hundred (thousands??) of dollars into this scheme. She also works two jobs to try to pay off her debt. But keeps buying that crap!

First heard of LulaRoe from a coworker who was wearing the clothes.   She doesn't sell it herself but referred me to the website which referred me to the local "consultant".  I immediately thought MLM and gave it up.  No matter how much I liked the clothes, I refuse to get into anything that has so much of a whiff of an MLM (with one exception made).  I had relatives that sold Amway and everything was Amway, Amway, Amway.  It was really obnoxious to the point that even these relatives' daughters would walk out of the room when their parents started their spiel, and relatives started to avoid them, including my parents who made the mistake of staying in their home once.

The one exception I made was to attend a Tastefully Simple party over 10 years ago in support of a friend who lost her grandchild, when her daughter hosted the party to get her mind on other things.  I bought a few things but never signed up to host a party, just wanted to buy the stuff and go.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:13:37 PM by saguaro »

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #1313 on: December 11, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
I hate any sort of work talk or self-promotion on Facebook, even if it's a real professional job, where they are doing good things.  I just don't want to hear it in my free time.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #1314 on: December 11, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
I had a friend start working at Northwestern Mutual selling life insurance (gave up a managerial position at a legitimate company for this), and I warned her beforehand that it didn't get good reviews from staff, and that she had to pay her own phone and supplies and it was $0 salary, 100% commission.  Her dad had to subsidize her for a bit and she obviously quit.  I don't understand people who have bills thinking these scam companies will be a good idea.  She kept trying to get me to set her up with meeting with my COLLEAGUES.  It was embarrassing. 

Not exactly an MLM but close.  A series of bad decisions started by her.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1315 on: January 04, 2020, 12:22:52 AM »
I had a friend start working at Northwestern Mutual selling life insurance (gave up a managerial position at a legitimate company for this), and I warned her beforehand that it didn't get good reviews from staff, and that she had to pay her own phone and supplies and it was $0 salary, 100% commission.  Her dad had to subsidize her for a bit and she obviously quit.  I don't understand people who have bills thinking these scam companies will be a good idea.  She kept trying to get me to set her up with meeting with my COLLEAGUES.  It was embarrassing. 

Not exactly an MLM but close.  A series of bad decisions started by her.

There's a networking aspect to pretty much all finance and insurance gigs. Some real estate agencies are even implementing this. An agent I know was told that if she brought people in, she'd receive a portion of their commissions so long as they were with the brokerage.

Basically, she'd be like a mentor to them, and she'd also be incentivized to keep them where they are, even if commissions elsewhere are better. Just like an MLM.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1316 on: January 07, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »
She posted a few other benign questions in the group then started putting up posts like, "Snacking is a message to your body to store fat." I'm guessing the mods intervened since that sort of stuff is way off topic.
The most recent post was a photo of ice cream cones, with an observation of, "Ha ha the kids had ice cream and I was so good I resisted I just had my coffee." I came within a hairsbreadth of pointing out that if her magic slimming coffee did what she claimed, it would be unnecessary to refrain from eating ice cream, and if her coffee only worked if you used it to replace ice cream the slimming diet industry had sussed that trick more than a century ago.

The sad thing is that if you cut out snacks (which usually do raise your insulin triggering your body to store fat) and replace ice cream with coffee you will probably will lose weight (and save money). Of course, you don't need any special beans or MLM for that.

sportse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1317 on: February 23, 2020, 02:44:24 AM »

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #1318 on: July 28, 2020, 06:46:04 AM »
Coworker: starts talking about how she should buy these cool face masks that incorporate silver as a natural antibacterial

Me: ...silver...natural...hmm...Norwex?  (I find MLMs oddly fascinating and have spent way too much time reading about them;  I can probably reel off all the bigger names.)

Coworker: Yes!

Me: *cannot hide the cringe*

I summoned enough diplomacy to say, well, sure, maybe the silver thing could work, but Norwex itself is a pyramid scheme, and the thing it always reminds me of is this horrifying routine where their reps will wipe up raw chicken with the magic Norwex cloth and they actually believe that sanitizes the surface.  So gross!

She laughed and agreed, so at least she's not THAT far down the rabbit hole.  She's not selling for them either, thankfully.  I wouldn't be able to sustain my diplomatic face through that...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1319 on: July 28, 2020, 06:59:42 AM »
Things have been relatively quiet on the MLM front lately, it seems. You just know this idle economy is gping to allow schemers time to dream up new schemes and desperate people to cling to them like life rafts. Its sad and I really hope it doesn't happen, because I despise MLMs, but I doubt it.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1320 on: July 28, 2020, 08:01:00 AM »
Things have been relatively quiet on the MLM front lately, it seems.
I don't know. The MLMers I'm acquainted with sell "nutritional products" aka overpriced protein powder and "cleanse" stuff. They've gone all in on the conspiracy theory bandwagon, anti-masks, etc. They're claiming their products boost the immune system so the virus is no threat to them whatsoever.

I think in a way this magical thinking is pretty consistent with the mindset needed to be drawn into a pyramid scheme. It fits into the broad universe of anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists and people who think The Secret is real metaphysics.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1321 on: July 28, 2020, 08:31:33 AM »
Things have been relatively quiet on the MLM front lately, it seems. You just know this idle economy is gping to allow schemers time to dream up new schemes and desperate people to cling to them like life rafts. Its sad and I really hope it doesn't happen, because I despise MLMs, but I doubt it.

They're all hawking press-on nail products in my Facebook feed right now. And one friend who hawks that has just started advertising a new, very special "opportunity" but we have to contact her to find out the details. Yeah, no.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1322 on: July 28, 2020, 08:57:21 AM »
My facebook has been flooded since covid started with one MLM “virtual party” after another. Almost all of them are for some cooking brand I can’t remember right now.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1323 on: July 28, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
SIL posts rarely enough that I forget.

-I just did this wonderful meal in my Pampered Chef air fryer!
-Didn't you just pay extra to get the air fryer function in your new stove?
-Yes, but not all of my friends have that, so I wanted to show the Pamper Chef air fryer.

Because there is a difference between one air fryer and another??

I also have an Optavia coach (or whatever they call themselves) in my friends list. Interesting mix of genuine life tips and the Optavia "family."

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1324 on: July 28, 2020, 10:24:52 AM »

They're all hawking press-on nail products in my Facebook feed right now. And one friend who hawks that has just started advertising a new, very special "opportunity" but we have to contact her to find out the details. Yeah, no.

I'm seeing a bunch of those too.  And while I do like the product (or at least the idea of the product) I can't bring myself to order them knowing that I could order 100 of them for 43 cents each on Alibaba.  Maybe I should start my own MLM....

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1325 on: July 28, 2020, 12:27:38 PM »

Is that just a convection oven, or is the thing actually spraying oil into the air?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1326 on: July 28, 2020, 12:46:23 PM »

Is that just a convection oven, or is the thing actually spraying oil into the air?

No idea, the second option sounds horrendous, though! Maybe they have an attachment? It does advertise convection and air fryer as two separate functions
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:48:41 PM by ixtap »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1327 on: July 28, 2020, 12:47:55 PM »

Air fryers don't use oil.  It's convection coupled with a basket that allows better circulation for crispier food. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1328 on: July 28, 2020, 12:52:54 PM »

Not for me they haven't.

The former BB coach who canceled and then signed up again and then canceled again, signed up again!  There's a new program out, and she's trying to get me to join (aka, pay $50 for early access).

I declined, because I just started a different program (already on Beachbody), and my husband is doing a lifting program on there that I just finished.  In any event, the real bummer is that the end of every workout of the set I'm doing has an ad for "and you need beachbody recover formula!" Yeah, no I don't.  I wonder if I should cancel the YMCA membership that I'm not using due to COVID...

Also. been invited to 3 Pampered chef online parties.  I love me some pampered chef, but seriously I'm not going to spend $200+ on an air-fryer.  I did get a really awesome can opener though.

Plus the CAbi parties.  One or two.  I declined because: I'm tired.  And I live in leggings.  And if I can't actually try the stuff on (the whole point of CAbi)...??

And Usborne books.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1329 on: July 28, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »
I feel like after a break from the constant MLM's they are on the uprise again. Right now I've got several people I know selling press on nail color. A couple still on the BeachBody train which has seen a bit of an revival because of all the gyms being closed for awhile. And another one selling a new thing I've never heard of something like "the FASTer way" or something. I think it's something like a plan for fasting that I'd have to pay for. But I'd have to message her to find out for sure. She just wants me to be healthy you know.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1330 on: July 28, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »

Plus the CAbi parties.  One or two.  I declined because: I'm tired.  And I live in leggings.  And if I can't actually try the stuff on (the whole point of CAbi)...??

I've had a few CAbi pieces over the years and their stuff is good quality. There is actually a CAbi outlet store near me so I've actually picked up things there.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1331 on: July 28, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »
During lockdown, a friend started doing The Body Shop At Home and invited me to join her FB group, which I did. Suddenly I seemed to be seeing nothing but her posts. The formula seemed to be that every day she'd make one post touting for interaction ("which of these superpowers would you choose" etc.), one linking to the catalogue and inviting orders, and a video of herself dabbing some sort of miracle unguent on her face, which made me laugh because I'm more accustomed to seeing her face covered in mud from playing rugby.

I unfollowed her after the first invitation to ask her how I could sign up to be a consultant myself. WTF? I last wore make-up in 1990, I'm not about to start marketing it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1332 on: July 29, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »
  And I live in leggings. 

Can I interest you in some LulaRoe?

(MLMs seem to be on the upswing with so much unemployment. They are selling lies marketed as dreams. People are desperate.)

RExplorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1333 on: July 29, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »
How about magnetic lashes?!   That’s the latest one I’ve seen.  I didn’t know there was such a thing, so I’ve been paying attention to this one out of curiosity.  I have no idea what these people are doing/where they’re going during this pandemic that they are buying these lashes.  This is not a go to work/run limited errands look.  And she posts about the different styles she’s purchased for herself.  WHERE is she going with this look during the pandemic????   And when you do go out you’re wearing a mask, so why do you need glamour eyelashes with the less than glamorous mask?

And I noticed that every time she posts, there are all these enthusiastic comments, but from people that aren’t the usual names on her posts.  So I investigated and yes, they’re all selling Tori Belle too!   It is comical.  There must be a requirement that if you’re selling them, you have to comment on other reps’ posts some number of times, too.  What a waste of time and money. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1334 on: July 29, 2020, 03:21:41 PM »
How about magnetic lashes?!   That’s the latest one I’ve seen.  I didn’t know there was such a thing, so I’ve been paying attention to this one out of curiosity.  I have no idea what these people are doing/where they’re going during this pandemic that they are buying these lashes.  This is not a go to work/run limited errands look.  And she posts about the different styles she’s purchased for herself.  WHERE is she going with this look during the pandemic????   And when you do go out you’re wearing a mask, so why do you need glamour eyelashes with the less than glamorous mask?

And I noticed that every time she posts, there are all these enthusiastic comments, but from people that aren’t the usual names on her posts.  So I investigated and yes, they’re all selling Tori Belle too!   It is comical.  There must be a requirement that if you’re selling them, you have to comment on other reps’ posts some number of times, too.  What a waste of time and money.

Fake eyelashes kinda make more sense than press-on nails in light of the increased use of Zoom and other video chat platforms, where people see only your face and shoulders. Also, there's no point in wearing fun lipsticks when the lower half of your face is covered by a mask. I am not inclined to use false lashes (or any eye makeup other than mascara), but someone who is very into cosmetics might buy these instead of those weird MLM liquid lipsticks that never come off.

I don't understand how magnetic lashes work, though. I think I'll stick with my plain mascara. And MLMs suck, full stop.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1335 on: July 29, 2020, 05:44:44 PM »

I've had a few CAbi pieces over the years and their stuff is good quality. There is actually a CAbi outlet store near me so I've actually picked up things there.
All of my favorite clothing items are CAbi.  They are quality and really last.  My favorite shirt...well, I wore it for my son's first day of kindergarten.  He's 14.  Oh and I wore it again for kid #2's first day of kindergarten.

The advantage, for me, is not shopping.  I can try things on that I would never have picked.  But I simply can't look at a catalog and figure out if it would work for me.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1336 on: July 29, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »
I feel like after a break from the constant MLM's they are on the uprise again. Right now I've got several people I know selling press on nail color. A couple still on the BeachBody train which has seen a bit of an revival because of all the gyms being closed for awhile. And another one selling a new thing I've never heard of something like "the FASTer way" or something. I think it's something like a plan for fasting that I'd have to pay for. But I'd have to message her to find out for sure. She just wants me to be healthy you know.
Let me tell you ALL about the FASTER WAY to Fat loss!  Really, a local mom friend works with them, so I've googled and read things and found out things.  Because I'm a nerd.

First of all, it's $199.  There's a book, but the book doesn't actually tell you how to do the program.  There are several aspects of the program:
1. Fasting.  16-8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hours eating window - it appears that the recommended window is from 12 noon to 8 pm, but dude - I go to bed at 8:45pm).
2. Counting macros (NOT CALORIES).  But you know, all macros have calories.
3. Carb cycling - that's how you keep your body guessing
4. Exercise - weight lifting and HIIT
5. Macro cycling (from what I can tell, the "Low macro" day is about 1200 calories.  Which:no)

So in any event, as I have read several books that touch on Fasting - I sort of see it as the current "thing".  There's info out there about being a "sugar burner" vs a "fat burner" and everything in between.  Fasting, supposedly, turns your body towards burning fat so that you can lose fat.  Same with lower carb eating.  However you still need to eat carbs.

So, it seems like the "regular macro" days are weight lifting days and the low carb days are the HIIT days (when you are a fat burning MACHINE) and the low MACRO days (low cal) are basically the rest days and by the way, cardio is unnecessary.

All this is stuff that you can find through google, and various blogs.  I haven't been successful in digging up negative reviews (they are prob out there). 

But anyway: $199.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1337 on: July 29, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
  And I live in leggings. 

(MLMs seem to be on the upswing with so much unemployment. They are selling lies marketed as dreams. People are desperate.)
I live in the same 2 pair of plain black leggings I got from Costco for $14.95 (for the pair).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1338 on: July 29, 2020, 08:56:52 PM »
Let me tell you ALL about the FASTER WAY to Fat loss!  Really, a local mom friend works with them, so I've googled and read things and found out things.  Because I'm a nerd.

First of all, it's $199.  There's a book, but the book doesn't actually tell you how to do the program.  There are several aspects of the program:
1. Fasting.  16-8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hours eating window - it appears that the recommended window is from 12 noon to 8 pm, but dude - I go to bed at 8:45pm).
5. Macro cycling (from what I can tell, the "Low macro" day is about 1200 calories.  Which:no)

So in any event, as I have read several books that touch on Fasting - I sort of see it as the current "thing".  There's info out there about being a "sugar burner" vs a "fat burner" and everything in between.  Fasting, supposedly, turns your body towards burning fat so that you can lose fat.  Same with lower carb eating.  However you still need to eat carbs.

So, it seems like the "regular macro" days are weight lifting days and the low carb days are the HIIT days (when you are a fat burning MACHINE) and the low MACRO days (low cal) are basically the rest days and by the way, cardio is unnecessary.

All this is stuff that you can find through google, and various blogs.  I haven't been successful in digging up negative reviews (they are prob out there). 

So...$200 to tell people to eat less and exercise more.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #1339 on: July 30, 2020, 07:24:02 AM »

Shhhh, you'll spoil the secret.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1340 on: July 30, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »

Fake eyelashes kinda make more sense than press-on nails in light of the increased use of Zoom and other video chat platforms, where people see only your face and shoulders. Also, there's no point in wearing fun lipsticks when the lower half of your face is covered by a mask. I am not inclined to use false lashes (or any eye makeup other than mascara), but someone who is very into cosmetics might buy these instead of those weird MLM liquid lipsticks that never come off.

I don't understand how magnetic lashes work, though. I think I'll stick with my plain mascara. And MLMs suck, full stop.

Magnetic lashes are super annoying, like worse than glued on lashes, which I didn't think was possible. I haven't tried the ones that stick to magnetic eyeliner though. I tried the ones where there's two sets of lashes that magnetically click together on top and below your upper lashes to make a lash sandwich. Super bulky and uncomfortable. I lasted less than 3 minutes.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1341 on: July 30, 2020, 03:42:23 PM »

NO NO NO.  You CLEARLY don't understand the program at all!

It's the magical combination of all the things that makes it the best program ever.

I mean, if you just lifted weights, did HIIT, and occasionally did cardio along with reducing calories and carbs (but not eliminating carbs), you wouldn't have the SECRET SAUCE that makes this program what it is.

The SECRET, of course, is designing your macros to SPECIFICALLY match the EXACT workout you are doing each day.  It's OPTIMAL for your body, don't you know.

OH and fasting turns you into a fat burner.  Fat and weight loss has NOTHING to do, of course, with the fact that if you are only eating in an 8 hour window you probably won't be eating as much.  It's the magical combination of fasting and macros.

/s

(I'm not arguing that fasting and macro counting don't have their merits.  I read enough health books and articles to generally understand the science behind it.  And the science is young, in some cases.)  I just cannot imagine a world where I'd be willing to FIRST - pay $199 for and SECOND- follow this intricately designed program that tells you what to eat and how to exercise on each specific day (literally counting everything that goes into your mouth), in order to...what?  Have six pack abs?  Lose 3 pounds?  I realize that everyone is different. I have done weight watchers and calorie counting in the past - multiple times.  I was fat (182 lbs) in my early 30s, and then I had two babies and ended up with difficult pregnancy weight to take off.  Each time, losing the weight was basically a part time job.

Now, however, I'm 50.  The thing with this program, and many like it - they say things like:
- You don't have to exercise a ton!  It's all about food, exercise if you want! (Not this program, but similar ones.)
- The focus is SOO much on weight loss/ fat loss, and designing your food around that.

How about I design my food intake based on my LIFE.  I exercise daily.  I love running, walking, weightlifting. I eat to fuel my workouts and my life.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1342 on: July 30, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »

Magnetic lashes are super annoying, like worse than glued on lashes, which I didn't think was possible. I haven't tried the ones that stick to magnetic eyeliner though. I tried the ones where there's two sets of lashes that magnetically click together on top and below your upper lashes to make a lash sandwich. Super bulky and uncomfortable. I lasted less than 3 minutes.

That sounds awful.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1343 on: July 31, 2020, 07:56:03 AM »
  And I live in leggings. 

I live in the same 2 pair of plain black leggings I got from Costco for $14.95 (for the pair).

I used to live in Costco leggings, but then they tore, and when I rebought them they had changed the waist band.

LLR doesn't fit me. One size is too small, "tall and curvy" fit my stomach 9 months pregnant but is about 8 inches too long.  Also, ugly as sin.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1344 on: August 01, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
 I realize that everyone is different. I have done weight watchers and calorie counting in the past - multiple times.  I was fat (182 lbs) in my early 30s, and then I had two babies and ended up with difficult pregnancy weight to take off.  Each time, losing the weight was basically a part time job.

Hmm,  Are you calling me fat?  Are you implying that I need to go to weight watchers and count calories?
/s

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1345 on: August 05, 2020, 10:14:57 AM »
Had a close call yesterday. I put a post on my neighborhood Facebook group looking to hire a decorative painter. In response I got a friend request, which I ALMOST accepted without looking. Turns out the person sending the request has a super-sketchy profile page, with a prominent link to their MLM sales page. Sneaky!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1346 on: August 05, 2020, 06:17:47 PM »
<snip>

NO NO NO.  You CLEARLY don't understand the program at all!

It's the magical combination of all the things that makes it the best program ever.

I mean, if you just lifted weights, did HIIT, and occasionally did cardio along with reducing calories and carbs (but not eliminating carbs), you wouldn't have the SECRET SAUCE that makes this program what it is.

The SECRET, of course, is designing your macros to SPECIFICALLY match the EXACT workout you are doing each day.  It's OPTIMAL for your body, don't you know.

OH and fasting turns you into a fat burner.  Fat and weight loss has NOTHING to do, of course, with the fact that if you are only eating in an 8 hour window you probably won't be eating as much.  It's the magical combination of fasting and macros.

/s

(I'm not arguing that fasting and macro counting don't have their merits.  I read enough health books and articles to generally understand the science behind it.  And the science is young, in some cases.)  I just cannot imagine a world where I'd be willing to FIRST - pay $199 for and SECOND- follow this intricately designed program that tells you what to eat and how to exercise on each specific day (literally counting everything that goes into your mouth), in order to...what?  Have six pack abs?  Lose 3 pounds?  I realize that everyone is different. I have done weight watchers and calorie counting in the past - multiple times.  I was fat (182 lbs) in my early 30s, and then I had two babies and ended up with difficult pregnancy weight to take off.  Each time, losing the weight was basically a part time job.

Now, however, I'm 50.  The thing with this program, and many like it - they say things like:
- You don't have to exercise a ton!  It's all about food, exercise if you want! (Not this program, but similar ones.)
- The focus is SOO much on weight loss/ fat loss, and designing your food around that.

How about I design my food intake based on my LIFE.  I exercise daily.  I love running, walking, weightlifting. I eat to fuel my workouts and my life.

I'm a little older then you, and, boy, does this ring a bell -- the LIFE part, I mean.

I'm twitchy if I don't get out of my chair and do SOMETHING every day. I walk, run, bike, do Pilates, and I've recently added in (frightfully expensive) sessions with a trainer to learn to do Olympic lifts. (I spent close to a decade in my 20s doing regular lifting of free weights, and I'm contemplating something I can do for the next few decades, so it has to be less boring.)

Also, I don't eat when I'm not hungry. In practice this means I have coffee and water (and occasionally cocoa) in the morning, and then have first lunch around 10:30 or 11.

There was an interesting blurb in yesterday's NY Times about time-limited eating. (Looks like it helps people lose weight, is the summary.)

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1347 on: August 11, 2020, 07:06:15 AM »
There is some merit to the 16-8 fasting method.  I can't speak to the "fat burn mode" claims of it, but if you're restricting yourself to eating only in an 8 hour window, you're likely going to consume fewer calories.  Which is the single biggest contributor to weight loss.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1348 on: August 11, 2020, 03:15:01 PM »
There is some merit to the 16-8 fasting method.  I can't speak to the "fat burn mode" claims of it, but if you're restricting yourself to eating only in an 8 hour window, you're likely going to consume fewer calories.  Which is the single biggest contributor to weight loss.
Yes, but I don't necessarily think it's a magic number.

16-8 vs 14-10 vs 12-12.  It's a sliding scale.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1349 on: August 12, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
Found out a couple my family knows may have got sucked into some kind of stock-trading pyramid scheme where you have to pay a big fee to take a course on day trading, then pay big monthly fees to use their trading platform, and pay the people above you a % of any profits, as well as have to recruit more people to take the courses and sign up for monthly fees.  Just terrible all the way around.  I hope they don’t lose too much money before they realize it’s all a scam

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!