Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639440 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1250 on: August 10, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »
For a company to deliberately recruit vendors and to require them to purchase a fairly expensive starting inventory while concealing the presence and location of internal competitors is pretty dishonest to my way of thinking: it deprives a prospective vendor of information he or she needs to know before committing money and effort. In fact I think that kind of concealment borders on fraud. Internal competitor location disclosure should be expected and even required.

It's almost as if once the seller buys the start-up inventory the organization doesn't care if they actually sell anything...

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1251 on: August 11, 2019, 03:14:48 AM »
...For a company to deliberately recruit vendors and to require them to purchase a fairly expensive starting inventory while concealing the presence and location of internal competitors is pretty dishonest to my way of thinking: it deprives a prospective vendor of information he or she needs to know before committing money and effort....
I was thinking of buying a bed-and-breakfast in Moab, and asked to see the books.  The real estate agent looked nervous, and said, "The, uh, the seller, well, the seller won't show the books until you make an offer."
This would be a better anecdote if I had been quick-witted enough to say, "Senator, my offer is $1.  Get out the books."  Instead, I wandered around and took a desultory look at the guest register, leafing through.  The B&B was in favor with its guests, although Moab was in more favor; many nice things said.  But by doing a quick page-count by year of guest commentary, it was clear the business was on a steady, smooth decline.  "Both declinin' numbers at an even rate," steady as a moonshot countdown, too.  10, 9, 8 ... 4, 3....  I told the realtor the seller's condition was brainless as well as insulting, and we would move on.
Could it have been because the reviews moved to online platforms?

Had a similar encounter with a car salesman a long way back. We could only test-drive the car if we were serious about buying. As if I would want to test-drive a car I wasn't serious about.
No no, he said, I had to sign the purchase form and then could test drive. Had to leave my license behind so that he could get the paperwork in order (as in, put the car in my name). Walked away laughing out loud.

cassafrass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1252 on: August 12, 2019, 06:26:37 AM »
In a research lab, sonicating something means to blast it with high-frequency sound waves to break apart cells and release their contents. I have no idea if that's what is meant here.

Yep, sonication is routinely used in processing nanomaterials to disperse them in solution.

It's just a buzz word that I guess sounds cool and science-y to the general public, but makes no sense to include because it doesn't imply much about the efficacy or action of the product.

It reminds me of a natural shampoo label I saw once that boasted that it was gluten-free. Well, of course it's gluten-free, it's a shampoo!

And update on my mom - she's been taking the CBD for 3 days so far and says she thinks she feels better...placebo or a real effect, I don't know, but I'm glad it's helping!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1253 on: August 12, 2019, 07:05:11 AM »
In a research lab, sonicating something means to blast it with high-frequency sound waves to break apart cells and release their contents. I have no idea if that's what is meant here.

Yep, sonication is routinely used in processing nanomaterials to disperse them in solution.

It's just a buzz word that I guess sounds cool and science-y to the general public, but makes no sense to include because it doesn't imply much about the efficacy or action of the product.

It reminds me of a natural shampoo label I saw once that boasted that it was gluten-free. Well, of course it's gluten-free, it's a shampoo!

And update on my mom - she's been taking the CBD for 3 days so far and says she thinks she feels better...placebo or a real effect, I don't know, but I'm glad it's helping!

Must be about 20 years ago now that I saw shampoo advertising "Contains DNA!", which might be even more brainless than "Gluten-free!".

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1254 on: August 12, 2019, 07:15:25 AM »

Must be about 20 years ago now that I saw shampoo advertising "Contains DNA!", which might be even more brainless than "Gluten-free!".

I have celiac disease. I’ve increasingly seen wheat and barley extracts added to cosmetics and hair care products in the last several years, and some people with celiac disease and wheat allergy have bad skin reactions to gluten. So as ridiculous as it sounds to the non-allergic, there’s a valid reason for the label. (Disclaimer: I have a PhD in immunology and a fairly strong bullshit detector.)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1255 on: August 12, 2019, 07:25:50 AM »

I have celiac disease. I’ve increasingly seen wheat and barley extracts added to cosmetics and hair care products in the last several years, and some people with celiac disease and wheat allergy have bad skin reactions to gluten. So as ridiculous as it sounds to the non-allergic, there’s a valid reason for the label. (Disclaimer: I have a PhD in immunology and a fairly strong bullshit detector.)

Oh, interesting! I stand corrected. I didn't realize celiac could manifest with contact reactions. But then, my knowledge of it comes from my idiot of a brother with celiac who thinks that he'll be fine with the occasional beer or brownie.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1256 on: August 12, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »

Oh, interesting! I stand corrected. I didn't realize celiac could manifest with contact reactions. But then, my knowledge of it comes from my idiot of a brother with celiac who thinks that he'll be fine with the occasional beer or brownie.

Ugh, those people are the worst. It makes it impossible for the rest of us to be taken seriously. Hopefully he doesn't end up with intestinal lymphoma or something equally awful.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1257 on: August 13, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »

I've also seen it on vegetables. I'm sorry, but wtf?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1258 on: August 13, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »

I saw it on flatware in a restaurant.  Seemed odd, but whatevs.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1259 on: August 13, 2019, 12:28:16 PM »

Ugh, those people are the worst. It makes it impossible for the rest of us to be taken seriously. Hopefully he doesn't end up with intestinal lymphoma or something equally awful.
I don't have celiac, but have friends who do and I have a gluten intolerance.  (I'm always careful to answer "preference not allergy" at restaurants so to not confuse people.)  A friend of mine has a mom who is celiac and she keeps eating pasta at parties!  She's in her 70s, and it's like she doesn't realize that just because SHE buys gluten free pasta and her daughter always makes it for her, it's NOT SAFE everywhere else.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1260 on: August 13, 2019, 01:52:44 PM »

Like canned tomatoes? I have to check any label on seasoned/stewed tomatoes (or any other kind of vegetable). Barley malt is a cheap seasoning agent that doesn’t have to be identified beyond “natural flavor” because it isn’t a major allergen. Ditto for frozen veg: I have to make sure there’s no seasoning added.

It’s ridiculous on plain raw, frozen, or canned veg, though.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1261 on: August 13, 2019, 01:54:32 PM »

I don't have celiac, but have friends who do and I have a gluten intolerance.  (I'm always careful to answer "preference not allergy" at restaurants so to not confuse people.)  A friend of mine has a mom who is celiac and she keeps eating pasta at parties!  She's in her 70s, and it's like she doesn't realize that just because SHE buys gluten free pasta and her daughter always makes it for her, it's NOT SAFE everywhere else.

Oh, good lord. Does she ever wonder why she feels awful much of the time?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1262 on: August 13, 2019, 06:35:50 PM »

Like canned tomatoes? I have to check any label on seasoned/stewed tomatoes (or any other kind of vegetable). Barley malt is a cheap seasoning agent that doesn’t have to be identified beyond “natural flavor” because it isn’t a major allergen. Ditto for frozen veg: I have to make sure there’s no seasoning added.

No! I mean on a sign in the produce section! Silly.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1263 on: August 13, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »

No! I mean on a sign in the produce section! Silly.

Yeah, that is insanely dumb. And pointless.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1264 on: August 14, 2019, 11:34:36 AM »

Oh, good lord. Does she ever wonder why she feels awful much of the time?
Her daughter does try to remind her.

On the frozen veg, husband bought some frozen veg while we were on vacation.  When we got back to the flat, I painstakingly looked through the ingredients to try and translate from Danish...yep, regular soy sauce.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1265 on: August 14, 2019, 11:40:37 AM »
MLM story: buddy of mine got into something with auto parts. When showing me the fuel additive, I looked it up online and he began to panic, telling me you couldn't trust the internet. When I found a site it said positive things, and there were comments of people saying, "hey, where can I get this stuff?".

I see now that it was probably MLM people commenting on it, but it was so funny to see my friend have a fit about "the internet" and how you couldn't trust it.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1266 on: August 15, 2019, 03:59:37 AM »
MLM story: buddy of mine got into something with auto parts. When showing me the fuel additive, I looked it up online and he began to panic, telling me you couldn't trust the internet. When I found a site it said positive things, and there were comments of people saying, "hey, where can I get this stuff?".

I see now that it was probably MLM people commenting on it, but it was so funny to see my friend have a fit about "the internet" and how you couldn't trust it.
This is actually quite funny. My wife has a thing where she points me to internet sources to prove her point but when I point her to another source that disproves it the result is "I shouldn't believe everything I read".

The points are mainly modern western medicine versus traditional chinese medicine (as in herbs). Yes honey, lets agree to disagree, my hayfever is under control with western medicine but every herb she points me to had 0 effect on it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1267 on: August 15, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »

This is actually quite funny. My wife has a thing where she points me to internet sources to prove her point but when I point her to another source that disproves it the result is "I shouldn't believe everything I read".

The points are mainly modern western medicine versus traditional chinese medicine (as in herbs). Yes honey, lets agree to disagree, my hayfever is under control with western medicine but every herb she points me to had 0 effect on it.

The thing with herbal options is that it's sometimes very difficult to manage the dosage because the active ingredient concentration will vary depending on when and how the plant was grown and the conditions under which it has been prepared or stored. There are plenty of herbal options that are indeed reliable and effective enough to be good medicine. Examples I can think of off the top of my head include digitalis (foxglove), aspirin (willow bark), and eugenol (essential oil of cloves). But to get shelf stability and standard concentration, some form of processing is generally required. This is why herbal products that really are effective enough to pass rigorous clinical testing usually go mainstream, at which point they lose their appeal to folks who like non-mainstream remedies.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1268 on: August 15, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »

I had no idea that was a possibility for seasoned/stewed tomatoes.  I've been eating gluten free for a few years now due to an intolerance, and I just learned this summer about the possibility of wheat starch in the adhesive on envelopes.  Now I need to be careful of canned tomatoes too...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1269 on: August 15, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »

I had no idea that was a possibility for seasoned/stewed tomatoes.  I've been eating gluten free for a few years now due to an intolerance, and I just learned this summer about the possibility of wheat starch in the adhesive on envelopes.  Now I need to be careful of canned tomatoes too...

I don’t know how common it is in stewed/seasoned tomatoes. For safety’s sake, I tend to avoid things containing “natural flavors” unless I can confirm that the product is gluten-free.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1270 on: August 16, 2019, 07:52:21 AM »

There are some huge forum threads about engine oils and additives. Sort of like discussing paying off the mortgage early here.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1271 on: August 26, 2019, 01:34:56 PM »
Ugh, I just want to vent about someone I know who is purposely misleading people.

This woman is the wife of my hubby's former co-worker, so we have a pretty good idea of what he makes.  The wife has worked at a very large, well established company for north of 20 years, and is in a mgmt role, so she likely makes close to what her husband makes.  Between the two, well into 6 figure territory, and we live in a low-medium COL area.  One adult child who hasn't lived in the home in years.

Earlier this year, she joins Paparazzi.  This is the MLM that sells cheap jewelry for $5/piece.  I suspect the wife is bored b/c hubby travels a lot, and is looking for something to fill her time.  She's clearly reading the books and following the script - always posting fun questions as she goes about her day that have nothing to do w/the MLM, so she should be improving her chance of getting seen on feeds as a result.  I know what she's doing, so I just watch and never post.  She also goes live at least 2X/wk to sell her wares, and when I have scrolled past, she never has more that 10 people watching.

A few weeks ago, there was a post showing how their home had recently gotten an exterior paint job - not sure if there was a storm that caused damage, but the tone of it seemed to indicate that this was an unexpected expense, followed by the boasting that this paint job was expensive and completely paid for by the MLM income, tons of hashtags about it wasn't fake news, blah blah blah.

Yesterday, she shared a post from her upline, announcing to the team that she had been "promoted" to director level, and how amazing it was and how proud she was to work someplace where they value her efforts, etc.  I'd say her real job values her, as she's moved several times so her husband could pursue better paying work, and they allow her to work remote, no problem.  Plus, she actively manages a team of people in her real job, so this was all just so painfully fake.  Along with every single comment coming from someone on the team, of course.

So, it piqued my interest enough to do a quick search.  Director is the 3 lowest rank in the company; the first rank is placing one order, one time.  Achieving director level means that she has suckered 3 others to join her team, and all four of them have sold 25 pieces in the past month.  She now gets a 10% cut of what they sell, plus they all make $2.25 on each $5 sale.  So, assuming that she sells 25 pieces, she makes $56.25.  If each of her downline sells 25 pieces, she makes $12.50 on each of them, for a whopping $37.50. So not even $94/month in income makes you a Director.  And of course, this isn't counting her time, all the boards she had to buy to display her wares, inventory carrying costs, number tags to identify which lot people are buying on her lives, etc.  And it took her at least 6 months to get to this level!  I'm sure that Paparazzi didn't even cover a quart of paint for that house paint job, much less all the materials and the labor to do the work.

I think the reason it annoys me so much is that she knows better.  She's willfully lying to people to get them to join her team, knowing that they won't make crap doing this, but she's OK with stealing a little money from each of them, and I have no doubt that none of her recruits can afford to waste money on this scheme.  We often talk about how much it sucks to have your friendship monetized, but to monetize and ruin people for a few dollars a month?  Get a part time job in fast food, you'd make actual income and find people willing to socialize with you!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1272 on: August 26, 2019, 04:00:13 PM »
So if my kid cuts four yards a month - they can assume the title of director? So how about our other kid who works while going to school and clears $15K+ a year?

What title can that kid print under his name? Surpreme Overlord of the Universe?

The amount of work the MLM folks do for $100 is astounding to me. Multiple hours of BS to sell baubles and shiny things?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1273 on: August 27, 2019, 06:31:52 AM »
MLMs... where title inflation is rampant and jingoistic without correlation to reality. You are not what your title says if your first sale promotes you to Director status. You're just a trinket peddler.
The only other industry where I see title inflation is banking & finance. Recently saw a bank cashier/teller's badge was "Associate VP of Client Services".

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1274 on: August 27, 2019, 06:51:46 AM »
MLMs... where title inflation is rampant and jingoistic without correlation to reality. You are not what your title says if your first sale promotes you to Director status. You're just a trinket peddler.
The only other industry where I see title inflation is banking & finance. Recently saw a bank cashier/teller's badge was "Associate VP of Client Services".

The guys from Personal Capital who call me twice a year to pitch their company call themselves Vice Presidents.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1275 on: August 27, 2019, 07:05:30 AM »

The guys from Personal Capital who call me twice a year to pitch their company call themselves Vice Presidents.

Yep, this is HUGE in client-facing parts of financial services. The issue is that, if you're providing financial services to midsize or larger clients, you're probably dealing with a C-level or VP title at the client, so it's a way to appear to be at their level to give them some confidence in your abilities. I don't know if it actually works like that (surely the clients are smart enough to see that the 22 y/o Associate Vice President is an inflated title?), but it's become a massive joke in insurance. People at insurance carriers have relatively normal titles (entry level might be "Account Executive" or something), but people at insurance brokerages (Marsh, Willis, Aon) will have Vice President or Executive Vice President at the same level.

The really funny thing is, the people who are ACTUALLY very high level have titles like "Head of XXX" or "Lead XXX".

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1276 on: August 27, 2019, 07:08:51 AM »

Totally agree on the banking. I've been fascinated with this for years. But lets not throw "finance" in there. I'm a Director of Finance at a hospital system and I work damn hard for that title. The amount of work I'd have to do to have a VP title is no joke.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1277 on: August 27, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
Morgan Stanley was notorious for this, and probably still is.  I interviewed there once, and the title was Associate VP of Trading Floor Operations.  In layman terms, Office Manager.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1278 on: August 27, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
Morgan Stanley was notorious for this, and probably still is.  I interviewed there once, and the title was Associate VP of Trading Floor Operations.  In layman terms, Office Manager.
Does that also mean that the Associate VP needs an Associate degree?

My school tried to sucker me into one of those, which was a 2 years course vs the full degree being a 4 year course. They say it's accepted as equivalent to a full degree but I asked around and the managers I spoke related it in qualifications to the same degree I already had. So thanks but no thanks.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1279 on: August 28, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »
Does that also mean that the Associate VP needs an Associate degree?

My school tried to sucker me into one of those, which was a 2 years course vs the full degree being a 4 year course. They say it's accepted as equivalent to a full degree but I asked around and the managers I spoke related it in qualifications to the same degree I already had. So thanks but no thanks.

Nope, I have a Bachelor's degree.  I surmised that based on pretty much everyone having a VP title there, they used terms like "associate" to mean it was a more Jr role.  At the time, I remember hubby getting a little upset b/c he had recently joined LinkedIn, and pretty much everyone he connected with from our college days, had these amazing titles.  Meanwhile we were basically an Office Manager and a Sales Manager.  Then the economy imploded, and the finance sector did as well, so those lofty titles disappeared.  We had some bumps along the way too, but our modest jobs made it through the hard times, and we'll be retired soon.  All that glitters is not gold.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #1280 on: August 28, 2019, 09:26:56 AM »
If you have Showtime: there is a new TV Series starring Kirsten Dunst about a MLM/Pyramid scheme (Likely based on Amway). Two episodes out, and I'm hooked.

"On becoming a god in central Florida"

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1281 on: September 16, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
I was just invited, in Brazil, to a MLM thing based on consuption and selling of RICE AND BEANS (???)
Thay say basically to stop buying what you would usually buy in a supermarket, and instead buying in their market, and invite friends to do the same and collect profits on their purchases.

I'm still confused, never heard of it before.

Are you sure it's not a co-op? A co-op is where you buy something cheaper in bulk, and you divide the cost with multiple people. I used to do it way back when in college (think 10 pound blocks of cheese, beans, grains, etc, organic stuff etc).

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #1282 on: October 10, 2019, 05:40:45 PM »
has any here heard of True North Beauty? Is this a MLM?  the vibe was inconclusive when I went to the website.  a candidate for the upcoming local election claims to be a development consultant for them and that phrase triggers something not quite right.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1283 on: October 10, 2019, 08:23:17 PM »
has any here heard of True North Beauty? Is this a MLM?  the vibe was inconclusive when I went to the website.  a candidate for the upcoming local election claims to be a development consultant for them and that phrase triggers something not quite right.

Doesn't look like it to me.  They're not on the Reddit list, you have to order from their site, and I see no mention of "consultants".

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #1284 on: October 13, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »
If you have Showtime: there is a new TV Series starring Kirsten Dunst about a MLM/Pyramid scheme (Likely based on Amway). Two episodes out, and I'm hooked.

We already have that here, he has big black round ears

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1285 on: October 13, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »

Uh...wut??

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #1286 on: October 13, 2019, 07:18:53 PM »

Uh...wut??
Disney/Mickey Mouse

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1287 on: October 14, 2019, 11:36:16 AM »

Uh...wut??
Disney/Mickey Mouse
Aka The Swamp Rat. He has his own cops. Rat's got power. Always Be Collecting, which is why he bought ABC.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1288 on: October 14, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »

Uh...wut??
Disney/Mickey Mouse
Aka The Swamp Rat. He has his own cops. Rat's got power. Always Be Collecting, which is why he bought ABC.

Mice and rats are very different animals.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1289 on: October 15, 2019, 05:11:57 AM »

Uh...wut??
Disney/Mickey Mouse

Fine. Be all logical and rational and factual. Spoil everyone's fun. ;-)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1290 on: October 15, 2019, 05:31:00 AM »

Uh...wut??
Disney/Mickey Mouse

I'm actually being extremely silly.
I worked with rats and mice for years. I really like rats, and REALLY dislike mice, so I jokingly get offended every time someone equates them, as if it's some kind of insult to the rats.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1291 on: October 21, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »

Uh...wut??
Disney/Mickey Mouse

I worked with rats and mice for years. I really like rats, and REALLY dislike mice, so I jokingly get offended every time someone equates them, as if it's some kind of insult to the rats.

Can you explain to me the difference that led to the liking of one and the disliking of the other?  Just curious; I don't have a rodent in this fight. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1292 on: October 21, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »

Can you explain to me the difference that led to the liking of one and the disliking of the other?  Just curious; I don't have a rodent in this fight.
[/quote]

Rats are clean, very friendly, easily trained to do complex tasks, and like to hang out together on hammocks. Mice smell bad and occasionally bite each other's testicles off.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1293 on: October 21, 2019, 01:35:10 PM »

Rats are clean, very friendly, easily trained to do complex tasks, and like to hang out together on hammocks. Mice smell bad and occasionally bite each other's testicles off.
[/quote]

Having worked with both, I second this assessment. Unfortunately, I'm now allergic to rats and can't have them as pets. Hopefully I am also allergic to mice and won't ever have to work with them again.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1294 on: October 21, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »

They're bigger so they handle easier, have more developed personalities, and are very smart. When they're your pet, they're cute. When they're feral and on the loose, it's like dealing with a supervillain.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1295 on: November 19, 2019, 07:54:05 AM »
My friend just told me that she signed up to be a beachbody coach..

I care about her very much and don't want her to get ripped off, and I also don't want to buy those products or do a fitness challenge or whatever else is involved with this. I'm happy that she's taking fitness seriously again, that part of it is good, but this company is garbage and I know she already isn't in the best financial shape (which is probably why she wants to start doing this on the side).
Help! Can I/Should I tell her this is a scam? Should I just politely decline to participate and let this run its course?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1296 on: November 19, 2019, 08:22:34 AM »
My friend just told me that she signed up to be a beachbody coach..

I care about her very much and don't want her to get ripped off, and I also don't want to buy those products or do a fitness challenge or whatever else is involved with this. I'm happy that she's taking fitness seriously again, that part of it is good, but this company is garbage and I know she already isn't in the best financial shape (which is probably why she wants to start doing this on the side).
Help! Can I/Should I tell her this is a scam? Should I just politely decline to participate and let this run its course?

I don't think telling her it's a scam would help, she won't be able to hear you. I think all you can do is decline to participate.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1297 on: November 19, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
I had a friend do BeachBody for a while. Her FB feed was all workouts all the time, plus that ridiculously overpriced protein powder. She sent me one of those terrible marketing IMs. My response was basically, "Wow! Nice work on your fitness. I'm not interested in participating but I wish you the best." That seemed to work and eventually she stopped hawking for that awful company. I hope your friend gets through relatively unscathed.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1298 on: November 19, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »
I had a friend do BeachBody for a while. Her FB feed was all workouts all the time, plus that ridiculously overpriced protein powder. She sent me one of those terrible marketing IMs. My response was basically, "Wow! Nice work on your fitness. I'm not interested in participating but I wish you the best." That seemed to work and eventually she stopped hawking for that awful company. I hope your friend gets through relatively unscathed.
Seriously, do they send a copy paste message from a guide book? Just reading it, I could tell it wasn't her writing voice. I already said I'm not interested, hopefully she doesn't ask again.
I just looked up the coaching program though.. anything that makes you pay to join, pay to get the materials, and pay a monthly fee to keep doing it is such a transparent scam.. how does anyone fall for this shit?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1299 on: November 19, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
Seriously, do they send a copy paste message from a guide book?
Actually, they do. Their "coach" gives them all kinds of scripting and responses to objections. That's why 99% of MLM members end up sounding exactly the same.