Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639367 times)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1200 on: July 23, 2019, 01:01:23 AM »
The pizza stone my parents still use is the Pampered Chef one my mom got 20 years ago :)
FWIW, we got one for our wedding 16 years ago, and it has held up very, very well.
To be fair, it's a stone. Except for dropping it or extreme temperature changes, what could go wrong?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1201 on: July 23, 2019, 08:39:04 AM »
The pizza stone my parents still use is the Pampered Chef one my mom got 20 years ago :)
FWIW, we got one for our wedding 16 years ago, and it has held up very, very well.
To be fair, it's a stone. Except for dropping it or extreme temperature changes, what could go wrong?
Heh :)  Compared to others, it hasn't chipped, and it came with a smooth surface (better for not sticking) that has just gotten better with age.

FIREJD2B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1202 on: July 26, 2019, 08:30:13 PM »
I hope it's fine to make requests here, but can someone point me in the direction of some good links addressing how few people make any money in MLMs in general and Amway in particular? I have an acquaintance I was discussing FIRE topics with, and it turns out that this person's SO is involved with Amway, who apparently are also using "financial independence" related terminology in their pitches (sigh).

I am going to send some links explaining why MLMs/Amway are remarkably unlikely to deliver on the financial promises that they make, and I was also going to suggest that the person track their earnings/expenses carefully if they do end up continuing with it, since that's the only way to honestly determine whether it's actually profitable. Any other suggestions for points that I should consider making?

I don't have any delusions that I can convince someone to ditch Amway with one email, but I figure if there is anything I can do that might cause this person to leave Amway two years from now rather than in five years, then that's still a win. I know I've seen some discussions in this thread (and maybe other threads?) that seemed relevant, but I didn't want to parse through hundreds of replies to try to locate the best potential links if someone had good ones readily available.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1203 on: July 26, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
I hope it's fine to make requests here, but can someone point me in the direction of some good links addressing how few people make any money in MLMs in general and Amway in particular? I have an acquaintance I was discussing FIRE topics with, and it turns out that this person's SO is involved with Amway, who apparently are also using "financial independence" related terminology in their pitches (sigh).

I am going to send some links explaining why MLMs/Amway are remarkably unlikely to deliver on the financial promises that they make, and I was also going to suggest that the person track their earnings/expenses carefully if they do end up continuing with it, since that's the only way to honestly determine whether it's actually profitable. Any other suggestions for points that I should consider making?

I don't have any delusions that I can convince someone to ditch Amway with one email, but I figure if there is anything I can do that might cause this person to leave Amway two years from now rather than in five years, then that's still a win. I know I've seen some discussions in this thread (and maybe other threads?) that seemed relevant, but I didn't want to parse through hundreds of replies to try to locate the best potential links if someone had good ones readily available.

A big problem you'll run into is that people, especially in Amway, have already been programmed that others are "negative" and never listen to someone with a "J.O.B.", and definitely don't track expenses and earnings because that's not the point, "it takes money to make money", and if you are dedicated, you might lose some at the beginning, but you just have to keep doing it and it will be worth it.  It's cult level and the brainwashing is subtle at first, but intense. 

All that said, they probably will not read any links you send, because the links are never true, just trust the upline, but...

The FTC report, long but lots of good stuff in there: https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/trade-regulation-rule-disclosure-requirements-and-prohibitions-concerning-business-opportunities-ftc.r511993-00008%C2%A0/00008-57281.pdf

Also, look up "Merchants of Deception".  The man who wrote it was a quick rising star in Amway, got in like the top 2%, found corruption, reported corruption, and they tried to tear him apart.  He almost lost everything.  Even at that level, he wasn't making enough money to cover basic bills.  It's a (legal) free pdf download (he wants it spread far and wide).  There are other versions for different e-readers as well, I believe.

FIREJD2B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1204 on: July 27, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »

A big problem you'll run into is that people, especially in Amway, have already been programmed that others are "negative" and never listen to someone with a "J.O.B.", and definitely don't track expenses and earnings because that's not the point, "it takes money to make money", and if you are dedicated, you might lose some at the beginning, but you just have to keep doing it and it will be worth it.  It's cult level and the brainwashing is subtle at first, but intense. 

All that said, they probably will not read any links you send, because the links are never true, just trust the upline, but...

The FTC report, long but lots of good stuff in there: https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/trade-regulation-rule-disclosure-requirements-and-prohibitions-concerning-business-opportunities-ftc.r511993-00008%C2%A0/00008-57281.pdf

Also, look up "Merchants of Deception".  The man who wrote it was a quick rising star in Amway, got in like the top 2%, found corruption, reported corruption, and they tried to tear him apart.  He almost lost everything.  Even at that level, he wasn't making enough money to cover basic bills.  It's a (legal) free pdf download (he wants it spread far and wide).  There are other versions for different e-readers as well, I believe.

Thank you! This is all very helpful; much appreciated.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1205 on: July 27, 2019, 10:53:31 PM »

Look on Page 2 of this thread. There are a couple color charts that show a particular MLM where 80% of the members make $400/year.  The only people making enough to be considered successful in that particular business have to be either officers in the company or have down-lines consisting of dozens of people. Compensation distributions like that are typical of MLMs.

FIREJD2B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1206 on: July 28, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

Look on Page 2 of this thread. There are a couple color charts that show a particular MLM where 80% of the members make $400/year.  The only people making enough to be considered successful in that particular business have to be either officers in the company or have down-lines consisting of dozens of people. Compensation distributions like that are typical of MLMs.

Thanks. Seeing the (horrifying) info for the Plexus distributors helped me figure out the right terms to plug into Google to find the similar available information for Amway. This third-party compilation of Amway Earnings Disclosure Statements was very helpful: http://www.sequenceinc.com/fraudfiles/amway-earnings-disclosure-statements/

Similar information is also available on some of Amway's official websites, which seems helpful for responding to the inevitable objection that people are lying about Amway. See https://www.amway.com/lcl/en/ResourceCenterDocuments/Visitor/opp-amw-cat-v-en--AmwayBusinessOverviewBrochure.pdf and https://www.amway.co.uk/_cms-fileserver/item/1500475

Even if I don't expect it to be immediately persuasive, maybe this information will help the person realize they're being taken advantage of in the nearer future than would otherwise be the case.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1207 on: July 29, 2019, 07:33:26 AM »

You are correct. You cannot convince them, so just let it run its course.

Example: A friend pitched me on the Amway Visa years back. The rewards were a compensation of 1% "BV". If you bought $1,000 of stuff, you got 10 BV, which grossed you a taxable $0.30, compared to a tax-free $10.00 on any other cash back card. He mentioned there was a 50 BV bonus for signing up. I tried to show him the 10,000 JetBlue pts I just got, which could fly me round trip to a couple places.

But, there was nothing I could say or do.

In the end, I said, "I'll sign up for the CC if there's no annual fee." He was ecstatic, like I'd made a huge order. The card came in and I tossed it.

Books you can read, and other resources (for you, not your friend; they won't listen):
 - Merchants of Deception: By a former Emerald IBO who netted something like $20,000 a year. His book led to huge increases in the Amway compensation plan for people at his level. It also exposed that the real money being made was by whoever ran things like seminars, etc.

- Behind the Smoke and Mirrors: Written by a former Amway person who was the personal assistant for a big wig in her upline. She discovered it was all just a show. They'd make something like $100,000 a year from Amway, and maybe another $400,000 a year with stadium events.
       - Sadly, even with all this income, they lived like they made 2x that, flying in private jets, and buying new mansions.

- IRS info. There was a report years ago that the average Platinum in Amway operated at a loss. This isn't hard to believe, particularly if they are working hard to get to the next level and just living off of their regular job income, unless you're in Amway, then it's all hard to believe.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1208 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:47 PM »
You have to understand that people don't go into MLM to "make money". On some level they understand it's a lottery. They go into MLM to have a vague hope of someday striking it rich, while being able to spruik the lifestyle benefits of not having to work in an office environment. MLM is for people with poor self-perception who are seeking to tell themselves they are important.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1209 on: July 29, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »
You have to understand that people don't go into MLM to "make money". On some level they understand it's a lottery. They go into MLM to have a vague hope of someday striking it rich, while being able to spruik the lifestyle benefits of not having to work in an office environment. MLM is for people with poor self-perception who are seeking to tell themselves they are important.

Actually A LOT of people go into MLM to make money, especially stay at home moms.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1210 on: July 29, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1211 on: July 29, 2019, 09:47:57 PM »
One that I almost was fooled by (as a 12 year old athlete with big dreams of making it™️) was the MonaVie açaí berry (“superfruit”) juice. 😂 I searched them up recently—they went under several years ago.

There was a lady driving around our town a few years ago, about 60 yrs old i guess, but she looked Rough !, rode hard and put away wet, too many nights smoking at the bar - anyhow she drove around in a beat-up Geo Metro with huge MonaVie lettering on the side. The 1st impression was that she got into the 'superfruit' too late. the 2nd impression was she was not making any money, given her rattletrap of a vehicle.  I suppose she could've been eschewing owning a "nice" car, but i doubt it....

Laughing way too hard at this. Hope that lady's doing better nowadays. The mom who sold it on our sports team was definitely not in it for the money--her husband made big $$$. She probably just wanted to get the discount/member's price for products so she could give them to her own kid athlete.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1212 on: July 31, 2019, 05:27:21 AM »
The Administrative Officer at work brought in the Norwex catalogs yesterday.  I don't know if she is actually the "seller."  She did ask me once if I wanted to order anything, I said no.  The other Admin person was buying.  I wonder if she asked the two men in the office if they were interested.   

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1213 on: July 31, 2019, 05:39:41 AM »
An auditor came into our office  and on the way out gives a catalog to an accountant her age, saying she thought she might be interested. The accountant smiled and thanked her.

"Can you believe her?" the accountant asked. "She has some nerve."

I was young so didn't understand, but the accountant explained that here they hired her for her independent auditing services, and she breaches protocol by crossing a line that could put everything into question.

Also, what kind of an idiot is going around making hundreds of dollars per hour and then does MLM on the side? It's ridiculous.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #1214 on: July 31, 2019, 07:32:49 AM »
After a lengthy period of not seeing any MLM related stuff on Facebook, I think one has crept into my feed.  Three different people, who don't know each other to the best of my knowledge, have posted recently about this incredible tooth whitening paste that is amazing and they will never switch back to conventional toothpaste. If I want to know more, I just have to comment and some other person will reach out with information. 

No idea what this company is, but the posts are all so similarly vague that is has to be an MLM.  I'm curious which company this is to see if my suspicions are correct, but not curious enough to sign myself up for the sales pitch to find out.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #1215 on: July 31, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »
I'm just going to leave this here. Posted in my neighbourhood facebook group. In for a penny, in for a moving truck.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1216 on: July 31, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »

I disagee.  Most of the people I know who do this are looking for supplemental income, not massive riches.  They figure they can SAH with kids and bring in $10,000 a year, which seems like a modest and therefore realistic number, in order to help out their family.  Or something along those things.  Or they already have a regular job and see this as a side hustle.  Spend 10-12 hours a week and make $10,000 to boost their finances. 

I think that's part of why they are so attractive and dangerous.  These are otherwise realistic people, so they'd never bite on something promising them $300k/year.  That would clearly be too good to be true.  But thinking they can make $5-$15k?  It's easy to believe that's realistic precisely because it's a modest number. 

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1217 on: August 01, 2019, 02:48:57 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here. Posted in my neighbourhood facebook group. In for a penny, in for a moving truck.
Is that allowed? In my country you'd need a license for  vehicle such as this to sell from locations. Then you'd have to worry about shopfront associations of shopping centers if you park too close because they don't want to compete with someone who doesn't pay their rent and such.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1218 on: August 01, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »
I think that's part of why they are so attractive and dangerous.  These are otherwise realistic people, so they'd never bite on something promising them $300k/year.  That would clearly be too good to be true.  But thinking they can make $5-$15k?  It's easy to believe that's realistic precisely because it's a modest number.
From what I've seen, you are correct. The "best" marketing I've seen for MLMs talks about earning enough income to become a SAHM (never a SAHD, by the way) or frames it as a side-hustle to supplement the family budget. The "drive a Ferrari and live in a mansion" stuff is out there, but the really good recruiters go for people with modest expectations.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1219 on: August 01, 2019, 11:18:02 AM »
After a lengthy period of not seeing any MLM related stuff on Facebook, I think one has crept into my feed.  Three different people, who don't know each other to the best of my knowledge, have posted recently about this incredible tooth whitening paste that is amazing and they will never switch back to conventional toothpaste. If I want to know more, I just have to comment and some other person will reach out with information. 

No idea what this company is, but the posts are all so similarly vague that is has to be an MLM.  I'm curious which company this is to see if my suspicions are correct, but not curious enough to sign myself up for the sales pitch to find out.

It's NuSkin, and you can buy it on Amazon.  The reviews indicate that it's a crappy toothpaste, but that seems to be pretty much the status quo on many MLM products these days.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1220 on: August 01, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »

It's NuSkin, and you can buy it on Amazon.  The reviews indicate that it's a crappy toothpaste, but that seems to be pretty much the status quo on many MLM products these days.

MLM products cannot escape legit reviews. I once patronized a local vitamin shop, and the lady advised I try this really good product for $40, saying that all the guys at the mill nearby used it to keep their energy and health up. So I did, but only took 1 pill instead of the 3 she said to take.

I had a pain in my kidneys and lit up the bathroom with neon pee. After a week, I tossed it, then saw I could review it, and thought it would be best to do so.

Despite having very few reviews, many extremely helpful people chimed in to tell me I was (1) using the vitamins wrong, (2) didn't understand vitamins, (3) was a negative person, and (4) that everything I was saying was suspect because I was bashing this great business.

Seeing the passion of these everyday consumers, I looked up the brand and came to find it's an MLM.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1221 on: August 01, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »

I find the idea of a toothpaste with "skin" in the brand name terrifying.

Right? I thought Nu Skin was one of those liquid bandage products.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1222 on: August 01, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »

MLM products cannot escape legit reviews. I once patronized a local vitamin shop, and the lady advised I try this really good product for $40, saying that all the guys at the mill nearby used it to keep their energy and health up. So I did, but only took 1 pill instead of the 3 she said to take.

I had a pain in my kidneys and lit up the bathroom with neon pee. After a week, I tossed it, then saw I could review it, and thought it would be best to do so.

Despite having very few reviews, many extremely helpful people chimed in to tell me I was (1) using the vitamins wrong, (2) didn't understand vitamins, (3) was a negative person, and (4) that everything I was saying was suspect because I was bashing this great business.

Seeing the passion of these everyday consumers, I looked up the brand and came to find it's an MLM.

How in the world is it possible to use the vitamins wrong? They're pills. You swallow them. It's not complicated. What were you supposed to do, cram them up your ass or something? Is that how *they* take their vitamins?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1223 on: August 01, 2019, 02:08:32 PM »
From what I've seen, you are correct. The "best" marketing I've seen for MLMs talks about earning enough income to become a SAHM (never a SAHD, by the way) or frames it as a side-hustle to supplement the family budget. The "drive a Ferrari and live in a mansion" stuff is out there, but the really good recruiters go for people with modest expectations.

I've only seen it as a "side hustle," usually a mother who was already interested in the product (likes to cook = Pampered chef; trying to lose weight = Beachbody; already spends a lot on skincare = Rodan Fields, etc) thinking she cover her own costs and maybe a little extra.  But it's usually people who appear to be living beyond their means already.  So it makes me sad.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1224 on: August 02, 2019, 06:39:45 AM »

How in the world is it possible to use the vitamins wrong? They're pills. You swallow them. It's not complicated. What were you supposed to do, cram them up your ass or something? Is that how *they* take their vitamins?

To have had a bad experience is to be wrong. And that's why this sort of thing doesn't work with normal people. You either have to be too far in, or not at all.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1225 on: August 02, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »
I had a little evil snigger to myself this week.

A few months ago someone I hadn't seen before posted a benign question on a Facebook running group I'm a member of. Some of the diehards in that group can be cruel to people asking rookie questions so I gave her a sensible answer and she friended me and initiated a Messenger chat. Guessing that she was just being enthusiastic, I chatted for a bit about races and melted away when she drifted into "burning calories" territory because I wasn't going to risk getting caught up in eating-disordered talk. She posted a few other benign questions in the group then started putting up posts like, "Snacking is a message to your body to store fat." I'm guessing the mods intervened since that sort of stuff is way off topic.

Then she started making cryptic posts outside the group about how, for less than the cost of a daily Starbucks, she could promise weight loss, forever, without dieting. The magic ingredient was one cup of coffee a day! And we'd be supporting a real person's small business instead of lining the pockets of Big Coffee! And she had been studying nutrition in depth for her entire life and this product she'd developed was The Real Deal! The accompanying photos didn't show the product.

In the meantime, a girl who'd been at school with one of my daughters (early 20s now, pleasant lass, couple of kids) posted an almost identical cryptic message in the local Facebook buying and selling group (without the lifelong study of nutrition bit, because most folk in the group have known her since she was in nappies and would have called her out). The whiff of rodent intensified and I said to Google, "Is this an MLM?" Google replied, "Yes, it could be any one of half a dozen," and provided a list. I was quite excited. I hadn't seen an MLM in the wild since the days of Tupperware parties.

Bless her, the lass from the running group is trying SO hard to sell her magic coffee using all the predictable angles. She's only got a couple of spaces in one of her "weight loss groups", sign up before it's too late! She's got lots of women but could do with another couple of men in her groups for balance, come on boys, you know you want to lose that belly permanently! And she posted a before and after photo which appeared to promise that if you took this product every day for ONLY TWO WEEKS you'd learn how to switch on the bathroom light, your posture would improve beyond recognition, and your tattoos would disappear without a trace. There doesn't appear to be a lot of interest.

The most recent post was a photo of ice cream cones, with an observation of, "Ha ha the kids had ice cream and I was so good I resisted I just had my coffee." I came within a hairsbreadth of pointing out that if her magic slimming coffee did what she claimed, it would be unnecessary to refrain from eating ice cream, and if her coffee only worked if you used it to replace ice cream the slimming diet industry had sussed that trick more than a century ago. But I'm sitting on my hands and waiting to see what happens next. I'm assuming it's a "bored housewife, small financial commitment" situation and fair game for entertainment.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:55:12 AM by TartanTallulah »

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1226 on: August 02, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »

Everything is special in the MLM world.  Monat reps claim that people aren't using their shampoo correctly, they need to buy additional products to minimize the detox effect of women losing their hair.  The LipSense huns swear that you aren't applying their lipstick properly when the alcohol in the product causes people to have burns and scarring on their lips.  Btw, that's also a temporary detox effect, you just have to suffer on through and then you'll love the product!  And LLR actually went so far as to put tags in their crap clothing stating "don't put me in the dryer or else you'll be sad".  Washer too, actually.  Color runs and the cheap fabric completely disintegrating in the dryer are well known issues, always caused by the buyer washing them wrong.  It's NEVER the product!

To have had a bad experience is to be wrong. And that's why this sort of thing doesn't work with normal people. You either have to be too far in, or not at all.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1227 on: August 02, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
Are you telling me you have to take those pills orally?! No wonder they weren't doing anything for my! And there I thought the big pills were suppositories because of their size, who knew...

/s

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1228 on: August 02, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
...................The whiff of rodent intensified....................

This was pure gold.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1229 on: August 02, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »

Everything is special in the MLM world.  Monat reps claim that people aren't using their shampoo correctly, they need to buy additional products to minimize the detox effect of women losing their hair.  The LipSense huns swear that you aren't applying their lipstick properly when the alcohol in the product causes people to have burns and scarring on their lips.  Btw, that's also a temporary detox effect, you just have to suffer on through and then you'll love the product!  And LLR actually went so far as to put tags in their crap clothing stating "don't put me in the dryer or else you'll be sad".  Washer too, actually.  Color runs and the cheap fabric completely disintegrating in the dryer are well known issues, always caused by the buyer washing them wrong.  It's NEVER the product!

Amway had Double X vitamins, which I actually thought were good, but if you had a sensitive stomach it was too potent. But say that and you just have a bad attitude.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #1230 on: August 02, 2019, 11:16:50 AM »
This is so depressing... a couple girls I know are now into Thrive - something something ENERGY <insert emojis> something something LOSE WEIGHT <more emojis> three easy steps: Pills, shake and a skin patch. This 'vitamin' company seems to have diversified recently, as I see more and more about skin products.

Girl A: Just recently reached '4k level' and there was much jubilation... a quick look at those commenting show they are all her Thrive up/down lines.

Girl B: Had pictures taken at fancy car dealership, posing by a very expensive vehicle and saying something about visualizing your success etc.

It breaks my heart.

Eckhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1231 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
A couple years ago I had someone try to sell me some MLM coffee.

Working in my yard, an older gentleman pulls up and comes to talk to me.  Introduces himself and start talking about his family and how his brother is a local business owner (I live in a small town) and other small talk.

Then he shows me the coffee and starts talking about it.  How it has cured so many of his aliments, more energy, weight loss, etc.  Basically, this coffee is pure magic.

I instantly recognize it as an MLM, but am polite and keep listening.  He has a sample pack and thinks I should give it a try and see the benefits.  Really pushing it into my hands.  Being polite, I accept the sample pack and keep chatting.

I say thanks, nice to meet you, ect.  Then he says, "that sample pack is $10".  Can't remember exactly how many samples, but seemed overpriced.  I hand him back the samples and say I'm not interested in paying for this.

He takes the sample and walks back to his truck.  Wife and I have a good laugh afterward about the magic coffee.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1232 on: August 02, 2019, 12:56:14 PM »

This was pure gold.

Wholeheartedly agree. My favorite was
And she posted a before and after photo which appeared to promise that if you took this product every day for ONLY TWO WEEKS you'd learn how to switch on the bathroom light, your posture would improve beyond recognition, and your tattoos would disappear without a trace. There doesn't appear to be a lot of interest.

Thanks, TartanTallulah, made my day!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1233 on: August 02, 2019, 11:21:41 PM »

If only the key to a successful business was an emotional attachment to the product. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:40:04 AM by Travis »

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #1234 on: August 06, 2019, 07:17:27 PM »

Yeah. NuSkin is basically thick Super Glue. I think someone is having a laugh trying to get other people to put it in their mouths.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #1235 on: August 07, 2019, 05:49:54 AM »

Yeah. NuSkin is basically thick Super Glue. I think someone is having a laugh trying to get other people to put it in their mouths.
Gross! Not that I was planning on trying it before, but I am absolutely not now!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1236 on: August 07, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

This was pure gold.

Wholeheartedly agree. My favorite was
And she posted a before and after photo which appeared to promise that if you took this product every day for ONLY TWO WEEKS you'd learn how to switch on the bathroom light, your posture would improve beyond recognition, and your tattoos would disappear without a trace. There doesn't appear to be a lot of interest.

Thanks, TartanTallulah, made my day!

Yeah, magic coffee lady is still all over my feed (former Beachbody coach).  She's making so much money and it's a great time to get into the biz!

Until you saturate the market and stop earning money, but ok.  But at least she flat out says it's an MLM.

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1237 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »
Two family members are at an MLM convention right now. They’re learning how to promote even better. They each already post multiple things on social media every day about the product (makeup), and half of their non makeup posts are designed to get them more engagement and more comments ("what should I buy, a or b?") so that more eyes see the makeup posts. I find it all a stretch of the social contract.

They say they love it. They are both deeply in debt and, I think, actually making some money at this, but not nearly as much as they believe after expenses/taxes/Time spent. (To be fair, they are very good at selling this stuff and they look amazing in photos. In person I think the opposite, and heading them talk offline about the weird rashes they’ve gotten from too much product is an additional turn off.) Their separate money situations seem to get worse each year instead of better, though. I hope that’s not true. One is in the other's downline.

I suspect a third family member may be at a different MLM conventionthis same weekend. She has done a lot of MLMs. She earnestly wants to help her family finances but can’t seem to see that this isn’t helping. At one point her husband emailed everyone in the family and implored us to buy her products so that she could fulfill her dream of being a SAHM. I nicely replied that my own dreams of a financially secure family didn’t allow me to buy what she was selling. (Might have been those itworks fat melting wraps? Or makeup? Or health tinctures?)

Of course, I care about these people and their lives and their kids, so I want to see that stuff and don’t like to unfollow. But sigh.

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #1238 on: August 08, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »
I grow tired of seeing AdvoCare idiots literally everywhere I go. "We build Morons."

Brother-in-Law sells the crap. He is about 400lbs and when he wants to lose weight, he just uses some crap, drops 20-30lbs, then gains it right back.

I just want to tell him to "just walk man, quit eating bacon."

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1239 on: August 08, 2019, 01:01:07 PM »
I grow tired of seeing AdvoCare idiots literally everywhere I go. "We build Morons."

Brother-in-Law sells the crap. He is about 400lbs and when he wants to lose weight, he just uses some crap, drops 20-30lbs, then gains it right back.

I just want to tell him to "just walk man, quit eating bacon."

I'm guessing AdvoCare will start to die out soon.  They had to (chose to?) give up the MLM part of the company after talks with the FTC.  All the people who built their pyramid empire by recruiting others will no longer get earnings from those people.  They will only get the earnings from what they can sell for themselves, which, for most MLM participants, isn't much, if anything at all.

In looking up some links for the AdvoCare issue, I found some reading material for today (looks like he's done a series of anti-MLM posts)...  https://www.lazymanandmoney.com/advocare-forced-by-ftc-to-end-its-scam/

Also found a sad, pro-MLM website, questioning everything about it, so many people defending the model.  Including this comment (which was not the worst, by any means, it just shows how much they've been brainwashed).

Why would you put blood, sweat and tears into training a distributor just to have that distributor now leave your group and go out capture market share from you using what you have given them.

We all need to fight back with all that is in us against government officials that have no idea how to build a viable group of distributors to move product and award the person who built it.

Real businesses try to avoid over-saturation.  They don't flood their local market by recruiting people to do the exact same job they do, selling the exact same stuff they do, in the exact same location they do, for the exact same actual CEO.  They (usually) want every business to be able to succeed in every location.  They don't build a bunch of the same stores on the same street and spout on about how this one store is succeeding, so yours can too, while ignoring the fact that all the other stores on that street are failing, and giving the succeeding store most of their profits, is the only real reason the star store is doing well.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1240 on: August 08, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
Real businesses try to avoid over-saturation.  They don't flood their local market by recruiting people to do the exact same job they do, selling the exact same stuff they do, in the exact same location they do, for the exact same actual CEO.  They (usually) want every business to be able to succeed in every location.  They don't build a bunch of the same stores on the same street and spout on about how this one store is succeeding, so yours can too, while ignoring the fact that all the other stores on that street are failing, and giving the succeeding store most of their profits, is the only real reason the star store is doing well.

That's also a key thing to look for in terms of franchise businesses, if you're ever in the market for one as part of a FI strategy. One of the guarantees that a franchise owner gets is that he or she will be the only franchisee within a specific radius. This introduces a "cost to exchange" that deters the customer from deciding to shop at another location instead. The better the franchise, the wider the radius. Subway, for example, is notorious for allowing new franchisees to set up shop close enough to an existing franchise to interfere with the first franchisee's business. Of course even a sizable exclusivity radius in a franchise agreement doesn't mean someone else won't build a nearly-identical business next door. I do see that some retail and commercial landlords try to take it into account... mall food courts come to mind. But the MLM model of sales, with people recruiting their own competition, flies right in the face of the non-compete principle.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1241 on: August 08, 2019, 03:15:26 PM »

That's also a key thing to look for in terms of franchise businesses, if you're ever in the market for one as part of a FI strategy. One of the guarantees that a franchise owner gets is that he or she will be the only franchisee within a specific radius. This introduces a "cost to exchange" that deters the customer from deciding to shop at another location instead. The better the franchise, the wider the radius. Subway, for example, is notorious for allowing new franchisees to set up shop close enough to an existing franchise to interfere with the first franchisee's business. Of course even a sizable exclusivity radius in a franchise agreement doesn't mean someone else won't build a nearly-identical business next door. I do see that some retail and commercial landlords try to take it into account... mall food courts come to mind. But the MLM model of sales, with people recruiting their own competition, flies right in the face of the non-compete principle.

Franchises definitely came to mind while writing that post, and some are very much better than others about making sure an area isn't over-saturated.

I remember reading about when Lularoe had a map of distributors.  It was only supposed to be looked at by customers (to see if they could do a return or exchange, stuff like that).  Current sellers and potential recruits were "forbidden" to look at the map.  When some of them did, they realized that they were completely surrounded by others in LLR.  LLR tried to say that there were still customers for everyone because each fabric was a "limited print" and "all the business owners would have different stock", so over-saturation was "impossible".  I can't imagine opening "a business" and not being allowed to know how many other people in the local area had the exact same "business".

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1242 on: August 08, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »

Franchises definitely came to mind while writing that post, and some are very much better than others about making sure an area isn't over-saturated.

I remember reading about when Lularoe had a map of distributors.  It was only supposed to be looked at by customers (to see if they could do a return or exchange, stuff like that).  Current sellers and potential recruits were "forbidden" to look at the map.  When some of them did, they realized that they were completely surrounded by others in LLR.  LLR tried to say that there were still customers for everyone because each fabric was a "limited print" and "all the business owners would have different stock", so over-saturation was "impossible".  I can't imagine opening "a business" and not being allowed to know how many other people in the local area had the exact same "business".

Indeed: that sort of thing makes my bullshit detector go straight to magenta alert. Every competent business plan I've ever seen or helped review or prepare contains some kind of analysis of potential competitors and market saturation. I can't imagine, say, approving a loan for a "business" owner whose business plan didn't include one. I definitely wouldn't buy shares or otherwise go into partnership with someone who wasn't savvy enough to assess the competition. For a company to deliberately recruit vendors and to require them to purchase a fairly expensive starting inventory while concealing the presence and location of internal competitors is pretty dishonest to my way of thinking: it deprives a prospective vendor of information he or she needs to know before committing money and effort. In fact I think that kind of concealment borders on fraud. Internal competitor location disclosure should be expected and even required.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1243 on: August 09, 2019, 01:51:21 AM »

Why would you put blood, sweat and tears into training a distributor just to have that distributor now leave your group and go out capture market share from you using what you have given them.

We all need to fight back with all that is in us against government officials that have no idea how to build a viable group of distributors to move product and award the person who built it.

Poor thing, the person you convinced to join your sham by telling them they could be their own boss will now be their own boss.

After reading that quote a couple more times, it seems almost too sociopathic to be real.  They're not defending the business, they're defending the actual pyramid scheme aspect openly.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:53:09 AM by Travis »

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #1244 on: August 09, 2019, 05:26:25 AM »

Poor thing, the person you convinced to join your sham by telling them they could be their own boss will now be their own boss.

After reading that quote a couple more times, it seems almost too sociopathic to be real.  They're not defending the business, they're defending the actual pyramid scheme aspect openly.

At least in my area and the people I know who do the MLMs, they do it because of that *one* person or family who has done it, got into it a long time ago, and makes a fortune. It is always about "I am going to be like "Bob."

There's a guy who is an AdvoCare king....or at least sounds like he is not anymore because of Gment regulations, who EVERYONE wanted to be. Making money hand over fist.

Or the MK lady who had every pink Caddy (the two door coupe and the little SUV, among others) in her garage.

It's a mirage and people just do not want to work or save so they try these get rich quick things, then annoy everyone they know with it.

Anyone see the toothpaste things now??? Why would I buy toothpaste from some crazy person off FB???

cassafrass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1245 on: August 09, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »
Last month my mom surprisingly struck up a conversation about CBD oil with a pothead friend of mine. My mom has always been very straitlaced about drugs so I was surprised to learn that she's interested in trying it to help with her depression and arthritis. My friend apparently has a cousin who sell some sort of MLM CBD oils and convinced my mom to try it.

While I definitely don't believe the medical claims of the CBD community and think the whole thing is a little fishy, I agreed to be the middleman and pass off the order to my mom. I was shocked when I got the tiny bottle and found out the price tag is $100!! For a mere month's supply! My eyes also rolled so far back in my head when I read the boast of "sonicated nanotechnology!!" on the label.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not talking my mom out of getting it, but hopefully I can discourage her from getting another bottle.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1246 on: August 09, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »
Last month my mom surprisingly struck up a conversation about CBD oil with a pothead friend of mine. My mom has always been very straitlaced about drugs so I was surprised to learn that she's interested in trying it to help with her depression and arthritis. My friend apparently has a cousin who sell some sort of MLM CBD oils and convinced my mom to try it.

While I definitely don't believe the medical claims of the CBD community and think the whole thing is a little fishy, I agreed to be the middleman and pass off the order to my mom. I was shocked when I got the tiny bottle and found out the price tag is $100!! For a mere month's supply! My eyes also rolled so far back in my head when I read the boast of "sonicated nanotechnology!!" on the label.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not talking my mom out of getting it, but hopefully I can discourage her from getting another bottle.

If it's sonicated, you can't go wrong. Now, we just need to know what sonicate means.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1247 on: August 09, 2019, 09:18:27 AM »
Remembering a story. At an old job the company VP was a dormant MLM-er. His brother was very successful in it, and he had tried it, but didn't turn it into anything, but was doing well for himself. Anyway, he must see some potential in me, so he starts talking about the opportunity, and I just play dumb, because the only other thing I can think to say is "do you have any sense of right and wrong?"

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1248 on: August 09, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »
In a research lab, sonicating something means to blast it with high-frequency sound waves to break apart cells and release their contents. I have no idea if that's what is meant here.

If she really likes the oil, you can at least help her find it somewhere cheaper. There are loads of CBD oil companies these days, and surely not all of them are MLMs...

It's what I assumed it meant. Sonication is a pretty blunt tool. I'd be more interested in their purification protocols.

A quick Google search reveals that PureKana sells a 300-mg bottle of CBD oil (40 doses, recommended at 1–2 doses per day) for $54 directly to the consumer.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #1249 on: August 10, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »
...For a company to deliberately recruit vendors and to require them to purchase a fairly expensive starting inventory while concealing the presence and location of internal competitors is pretty dishonest to my way of thinking: it deprives a prospective vendor of information he or she needs to know before committing money and effort....
I was thinking of buying a bed-and-breakfast in Moab, and asked to see the books.  The real estate agent looked nervous, and said, "The, uh, the seller, well, the seller won't show the books until you make an offer."
This would be a better anecdote if I had been quick-witted enough to say, "Senator, my offer is $1.  Get out the books."  Instead, I wandered around and took a desultory look at the guest register, leafing through.  The B&B was in favor with its guests, although Moab was in more favor; many nice things said.  But by doing a quick page-count by year of guest commentary, it was clear the business was on a steady, smooth decline.  "Both declinin' numbers at an even rate," steady as a moonshot countdown, too.  10, 9, 8 ... 4, 3....  I told the realtor the seller's condition was brainless as well as insulting, and we would move on.