Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639428 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1150 on: June 28, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »
is there anything that PC sells that a person couldn't get from an online place like WalMart or Amazon?

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #1151 on: June 28, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »
is there anything that PC sells that a person couldn't get from an online place like WalMart or Amazon?
I don't think so.  Their stuff is proprietary but you can find almost identical items.  The last time I went to a party (about 4 years ago) they demonstrated a wine bottle opener that I decided I needed; I think it was $29.  I even filled out the paperwork but then I got annoyed that they added a shipping charge of >$5 even though the item was going to my host who would have to deliver it to me.  There are many similar wine bottle openers available online, although I'm still using the crappy corkscrew I bought from IKEA for about $1, haha.  That annoying shipping charge saved me some $$.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1152 on: June 28, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
If anyone tries to sell me on diets, especially the MLM ones, my response is: do you even exercise, walking doesn't count.

Walking does count!  I lost 40 pounds by eating low-carb and taking long walks.
Walking absolutely counts, because some people can't do anything else.  And even if you can, it counts.

I agree with you, but it's not just the walking it's also the distance/duration. When I walk to the supermarket, that's 2k, work is 3k and city center is 5k.

Just walking 2 or 3 hundred meters won't cut it.

Well, yeah.

That's probably why people who walk a lot are slimmer.  Like my neighbor who doesn't drive.  Or Europeans.

Funny story, my in laws got back from a trip to Europe.  They were visiting friends.  So. Many. Blisters. (Even with good shoes!)  Because the city dwellers just walk everywhere.  Apparently the family members were wearing their fitbits and they were averaging 14 miles a day.

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1153 on: July 02, 2019, 09:01:39 AM »
I’ve seen some of the standard offenders in my circles over the years—Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Jamberry, etc. One that I almost was fooled by (as a 12 year old athlete with big dreams of making it™️) was the MonaVie açaí berry (“superfruit”) juice. 😂 I searched them up recently—they went under several years ago. Currently floating around my social media feed:

3D Fiber Lash something
LimeLife by Alcone
Young Living essential oils
SeneGence lipstick
Scentsy
Younique??
LuLaRoe

AND....are you guys ready for this??...since I now work at a marketing/communications agency, I’ve literally been hired to work on stuff for one-who-shall-not-be-named. I’m in the belly of the beast, y’all. 😅

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1154 on: July 02, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
AND....are you guys ready for this??...since I now work at a marketing/communications agency, I’ve literally been hired to work on stuff for one-who-shall-not-be-named. I’m in the belly of the beast, y’all. 😅
Well, then, we shall expect all the juicy (ahem) details.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1155 on: July 02, 2019, 09:27:51 AM »
saw on my FB feed this morning from a neighbor former seller that WildTree is closing it's doors.
If you've ever been invited to one of those parties you know how crazy expensive it is. Like $75 for a "meal kit" to make a weeks worth of freezer meals. BUT you also have to buy the actual food. The $75 just covers some spices and oils. And I guess the consultants time and recipes. Who would pay for that?!?! I never went to one, lots of invites but I thought the pricing was crazy. That's my grocery budget for a week! Not just spices.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1156 on: July 02, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »
One that I almost was fooled by (as a 12 year old athlete with big dreams of making it™️) was the MonaVie açaí berry (“superfruit”) juice. 😂 I searched them up recently—they went under several years ago.

There was a lady driving around our town a few years ago, about 60 yrs old i guess, but she looked Rough !, rode hard and put away wet, too many nights smoking at the bar - anyhow she drove around in a beat-up Geo Metro with huge MonaVie lettering on the side. The 1st impression was that she got into the 'superfruit' too late. the 2nd impression was she was not making any money, given her rattletrap of a vehicle.  I suppose she could've been eschewing owning a "nice" car, but i doubt it....

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1157 on: July 02, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
saw on my FB feed this morning from a neighbor former seller that WildTree is closing it's doors.
If you've ever been invited to one of those parties you know how crazy expensive it is. Like $75 for a "meal kit" to make a weeks worth of freezer meals. BUT you also have to buy the actual food. The $75 just covers some spices and oils. And I guess the consultants time and recipes. Who would pay for that?!?! I never went to one, lots of invites but I thought the pricing was crazy. That's my grocery budget for a week! Not just spices.

You're reminding me of the candle parties my wife was always invited to.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1158 on: July 02, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »
I have a facebook acquaintance who isn't all there - I don't know any details but he is definitely developmentally challenged, and now in his 40s. I've never met his wife in person but she seems to also be challenged and they are extremely low income. They have gotten pulled into a new one - Stream Energy? I haven't investigated it so much but apparently its an MLM that sells utilities? I've seen posts from him about electric plans, gas plans, cell phone plans, etc. He's even updated all of his information to say that he works in "Network Marketing" and that he is an "independent associate." I just feel bad for them - they were both working minimum wage jobs, but it seems like they have quit their jobs to just try and do this. He has made a lot of posts about how this is going to help him reach financial independence and he will be able to take care of all of his nieces and nephews. I haven't said anything, but I am sure it is headed toward failure.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1159 on: July 02, 2019, 08:25:05 PM »
I have a facebook acquaintance who isn't all there - I don't know any details but he is definitely developmentally challenged, and now in his 40s. I've never met his wife in person but she seems to also be challenged and they are extremely low income. They have gotten pulled into a new one - Stream Energy? I haven't investigated it so much but apparently its an MLM that sells utilities? I've seen posts from him about electric plans, gas plans, cell phone plans, etc. He's even updated all of his information to say that he works in "Network Marketing" and that he is an "independent associate." I just feel bad for them - they were both working minimum wage jobs, but it seems like they have quit their jobs to just try and do this. He has made a lot of posts about how this is going to help him reach financial independence and he will be able to take care of all of his nieces and nephews. I haven't said anything, but I am sure it is headed toward failure.

That is sad, because he's clearly being genuine and upfront about it, but doesn't know the stink of what he's asking others to sniff.

I know a guy who got into Amway at 18, and when he was applying for summer jobs he listed as his hobbies/interests
 - Network Marketing
 - Entrepreneurship
 - Real Estate

He was so clearly hungry to learn and do SOMETHING! But I think it really set him back a bit because he's not a salesman, and didn't have any clue that this was a huge no-no going into the application process.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1160 on: July 03, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »
I saw this article from the Washington Post about FB wanting to limit the reach of bogus medical cures. I can see this policy having a big effect on several of the MLM sellers and groups.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1161 on: July 03, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »
I saw this article from the Washington Post about FB wanting to limit the reach of bogus medical cures. I can see this policy having a big effect on several of the MLM sellers and groups.

Hilarious. Facebook wanting to limit reach of bogus anything... yeah right.
Ain't gonna happen. There isn't enough outrage.
Privacy debacle swept under Zuck's rug.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1162 on: July 03, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
It definitely doesn't seem like MLMs are dying in my world!  LLR isn't nearly as common, but there's fancy hair care, organic skin care and makeup (several different companies, I believe), 31 Bags, and more, all still going quite strong.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1163 on: July 03, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
It definitely doesn't seem like MLMs are dying in my world!  LLR isn't nearly as common, but there's fancy hair care, organic skin care and makeup (several different companies, I believe), 31 Bags, and more, all still going quite strong.
I haven't seen anyone selling 31 bags in forever. I thought they were dead.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1164 on: July 03, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »
I haven't seen anyone selling 31 bags in forever. I thought they were dead.

I received some 31 bags from my sister a couple weeks ago as a birthday gift.  Nice enough bags, and I'll probably actually use the two she sent, but they are way overpriced. 

Mostly I seem to hear about the fancy hair-care line (i'm on the verge of a defriend over that--she has a separate FB page or group for her "business", but her feed seems to be full of how excited she is to try the new product, or how great the view is from her "office" because she can work from home/vacation, or how she packed her kid's summer camp bag with the special shampoo), and some make up and skin care stuff.  And I see posts in several groups I'm part of with someone asking for an XYZ rep because they need new oils/candles/lotion/kitchen tools/jewelry/whatever, and there are always a zillion responses.  And several of the groups have "marketing Monday", to keep the sales pitches limited, and I don't even check the groups on those days because they are full of MLM posts, hawking both products and the chance at "entrepreneurship".

Auldtriangle8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Age 33
« Reply #1165 on: July 03, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
Recently a family member has begun selling Color Street nail strips. Didn't even know they were a thing until she started talking about them. Thankfully my wife isn't at all interested in them. She's been guilted into buying several MLM things from friends/family in the past but this time she gave a firm no when I probably would have caved and bought $20 worth or something. The seller was taken aback but thankfully the seller and her husband have good jobs so it's not a big deal. I wasn't even sure if it was an MLM or not and had to look it up.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #1166 on: July 05, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Recently a family member has begun selling Color Street nail strips. Didn't even know they were a thing until she started talking about them. Thankfully my wife isn't at all interested in them. She's been guilted into buying several MLM things from friends/family in the past but this time she gave a firm no when I probably would have caved and bought $20 worth or something. The seller was taken aback but thankfully the seller and her husband have good jobs so it's not a big deal. I wasn't even sure if it was an MLM or not and had to look it up.

I think that the best thing and the kindest thing to do when approached by an MLM rep is to say no from the very beginning.  If friends/family purchase items in the beginning to be nice or supportive, it just encourages reps to buy more product, which ultimately puts them further in the hole. 

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1167 on: July 05, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »
Anyone else hear about Advocare eliminating the MLM part of their business model?  Going to direct sales only...  Curious if this will hit other companies in the near future.

AdvoCare International announces a revision of its business model from multi-level marketing to a direct-to-consumer and single-level marketing compensation plan.

AdvoCare has been in confidential talks with the Federal Trade Commission about the AdvoCare business model and how AdvoCare compensates its Distributors. The planned change will impact Distributors who have participated in the multi-level aspect of the business. Those who currently sell only to customers will not be impacted and there will be no impact on Preferred Customers or retail customers’ ability to purchase products.

“Over the years, we have made many changes to the AdvoCare policies as the regulatory environment has shifted. Based on recent discussions, it became clear that this change is the only viable option,”

says Patrick Wright, AdvoCare’s Chief Executive Officer.

“Regardless of the model, we remain steadfastly committed to providing our high-quality nutritional products to our loyal customers who are seeking to live healthier lives. We stand behind the integrity and values of this company and will continue to work with our dedicated Distributors to provide the best customer service to ensure AdvoCare products are available for decades to come.”

The company gave notice to its more than 100,000 Distributors on May 17 that, effective July 17, 2019, AdvoCare will revise the business model to a single-level distribution model, paying compensation based solely on sales to direct customers.

The Retail and Preferred Customer programs will remain intact with discounts ranging from 20 – 40 percent. This new business model will allow the company to explore new and innovative ways to bring their premium products to market.

“AdvoCare Distributors have been helping change lives since its founding in 1993, by providing premium wellness products to those looking to reach new health and fitness goals – and that will not change,” says AdvoCare’s former CEO and current Chairman of the Board Reid Ward. “We’re proud of the growth of our Preferred Customer program we launched in 2016, which has grown to almost 400,000 discount customers. We look forward to reaching even more customers with a new business model.”

That is really interesting! I am curious how some of the current upper level distributors will feel about this change and how it will effect their income. Based upon the comment from their CEO I wonder if more MLM's will move to this model or how they will change their structure. Most of the MLM's I have come in contact with actually have quality products, but the MLM structure leads to them being overpriced.

It has been financially disastrous for upper level Advocare distributors. The people who made money in Advocare did so due to extremely extensive downlines and their income has basically shrunk to 0. They received 30 days notice of the change, and many of them were in denial or simply didn't understand the consequences right away.

I'm sure many of them are bouncing back by signing on to other MLMs and recruiting their downlines to the next thing. But there have been more than a few missed mortgage payments as a result of the Advocare wreckage.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1168 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »

I think that the best thing and the kindest thing to do when approached by an MLM rep is to say no from the very beginning.  If friends/family purchase items in the beginning to be nice or supportive, it just encourages reps to buy more product, which ultimately puts them further in the hole.

Yes. A supervisor of my wife's approached me once. I let her know that the only thing I like to do on he side is blog (I used to have a blog). And then I thanked her for thinking of me.

She said she was really appreciative that I returned her call.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1169 on: July 10, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »

Until five years ago, a solid proportion of the people I knew were involved in some MLM or another and I was constantly being invited to "parties" for everything from Tupperware to sex toys (I don't even want to *think* what those parties are like!).  Then we moved and nobody in my new neighbourhood sells anything. It's glorious. I still get invited to parties now, but they're real parties, not sales sessions.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1170 on: July 10, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »

Until five years ago, a solid proportion of the people I knew were involved in some MLM or another and I was constantly being invited to "parties" for everything from Tupperware to sex toys (I don't even want to *think* what those parties are like!).  Then we moved and nobody in my new neighbourhood sells anything. It's glorious. I still get invited to parties now, but they're real parties, not sales sessions.
What do you think the difference in neighborhood is?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1171 on: July 10, 2019, 10:39:06 AM »
The Beach Body Coach lady on my Facebook list has become vocal again...

I thought maybe she quit because she wasn't posting about BB anymore.  No, she was just going through a rough time but is right back into it.

She has also gotten into CBD oil.  Which, no big deal in itself.  However, the "brand" she is pushing is another MLM being sold by a friend of hers.  She also announced her daughter had a new "beauty business" recently (daughter is around 23, "her business" is Senegence--aka LipSense).

We are a small town.  We don't even have a Walmart (I'm not complaining).  However, after marijuana was "legalized" (in quotes because I still don't get how states can legalize something not legal at federal level) we now have no less than five different pot shops, which probably all sell CBD oil of better quality for much less.  There is absolutely no reason to go the expensive MLM route here! (but, really, is there ever?)

ETA: She stays because I have known her my entire life, and she was my son's first babysitter.  I'm also friends with her husband through work.  She hasn't been annoying about it, but it makes me sad, because I know they struggle with money at times, and she's throwing so much into this crap.  If she'd drop the side hustle and they both just worked their day jobs, they'd probably be just fine.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:41:23 AM by sparkytheop »

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1172 on: July 10, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »
I made great money with Beach Body, but writing their advertising, not selling their stuff.

Some years back I tried to get in with an MLM motivational speaker. That would have been some great money, but I guess the devil wasn't ready for my soul.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1173 on: July 10, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »

I still don't get how states can legalize something not legal at federal level)

Constitutionally, the federal government doesn't have the power to regulate intrastate commerce, only interstate. Obviously the cannabis issue is more complicated than that, but that's the basis of it.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #1174 on: July 10, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
I finally have one!

Over the years, I've been approached by friends and colleagues selling whatever--Princess House Crystal, Pampered Chef--and never had any trouble saying no since I never needed or wanted any of that stuff, but now my next door neighbor has joined the MLM crowd, selling 'natural cleaning products.' They've been nice enough neighbors, but we have never socialized so I was surprised when she invited me to a 'reception' that she was holding one afternoon after handing me a postcard showing the company's wares ("Thanks, but sorry, I have plans!"). Later she approached my husband while he was washing his car in the driveway, asking if he wanted to try out a 'silver-infused cleaning cloth' that she had in her hand.

DH is a sweet guy and said sure and thanks, and gave the windshield a swipe, but then noticed she was still standing there. He asked, "Um, are you giving this to me?"
"Oh, no! It's from (whatever brand) and I'm selling them," she said with a big smile.
"Oh, okay. Here. No thanks," he said as he handed it back.

When DH--who is an extraordinarily generous guy--told me about this exchange, he said, "You know, after all the free passes I've given them to (very famous and costly theme park where he works, literally thousands of dollar's worth of passes), she couldn't give me a free rag? That's nuts."

I don't think she'll be trying to sell us anything else for a while, and those free passes they've been getting once or twice a year? Yeah, they lost those too. Good luck with that MLM!

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1175 on: July 10, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »
I finally have one!

"You know, after all the free passes I've given them to (very famous and costly theme park where he works, literally thousands of dollar's worth of passes), she couldn't give me a free rag? That's nuts."

Love it

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1176 on: July 10, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
I finally have one!

Over the years, I've been approached by friends and colleagues selling whatever--Princess House Crystal, Pampered Chef--and never had any trouble saying no since I never needed or wanted any of that stuff, but now my next door neighbor has joined the MLM crowd, selling 'natural cleaning products.' They've been nice enough neighbors, but we have never socialized so I was surprised when she invited me to a 'reception' that she was holding one afternoon after handing me a postcard showing the company's wares ("Thanks, but sorry, I have plans!"). Later she approached my husband while he was washing his car in the driveway, asking if he wanted to try out a 'silver-infused cleaning cloth' that she had in her hand.

DH is a sweet guy and said sure and thanks, and gave the windshield a swipe, but then noticed she was still standing there. He asked, "Um, are you giving this to me?"
"Oh, no! It's from (whatever brand) and I'm selling them," she said with a big smile.

When DH--who is an extraordinarily generous guy--told me about this exchange, he said, "You know, after all the free passes I've given them to (very famous and costly theme park where he works, literally thousands of dollar's worth of passes), she couldn't give me a free rag? That's nuts."

I don't think she'll be trying to sell us anything else for a while, and those free passes they've been getting once or twice a year? Yeah, they lost those too. Good luck with that MLM!

Sounds like Norwex.

Look up their claims and how they do their presentations, it's so gross!

I've heard of them smearing raw chicken on a counter, doing nothing but wipe it down with the "magic silver embedded rag" that "kills all the bacteria" so you're now safe to eat off that surface!

Uh, no. 

I'm sure you were not giving away free tickets in expectation of a return gift, but I 100% agree with the "no more free tickets" stance.  You don't need to continue to be generous to people who only take.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1177 on: July 10, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
This silver thread thing has me confused. If silver is not poisonous to us (silverware) why would it be poisonous to germs?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1178 on: July 10, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »
This silver thread thing has me confused. If silver is not poisonous to us (silverware) why would it be poisonous to germs?

Levels of exposure--I'm sure ingesting enough silver would kill a person too...

Silver does have antibacterial properties.  So does wood.  However, they are making claims well beyond the science.  Using their rag is going to kill the bacteria about as much as me beating the dried up raw chicken juice with a wooden spoon.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #1179 on: July 11, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »
I finally have one!

Sounds like Norwex.

Look up their claims and how they do their presentations, it's so gross!

I've heard of them smearing raw chicken on a counter, doing nothing but wipe it down with the "magic silver embedded rag" that "kills all the bacteria" so you're now safe to eat off that surface!

Uh, no. 

I'm sure you were not giving away free tickets in expectation of a return gift, but I 100% agree with the "no more free tickets" stance.  You don't need to continue to be generous to people who only take.

Absolutely no expectation of getting something in return, but that whole exchange proved too much for DH.

And you're correct: it's Norwex. I spent a little time on their website this morning and nomygod! For someone like me who works with a lot of science and you know, actual facts and evidence, so much no.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1180 on: July 11, 2019, 11:57:22 AM »
Ah, Norwex.  They get singled out quite a bit on the "Sounds Like MLM but OK" page on Facebook.  The one that sticks out the most was a woman, so convinced by the magical silver properties, proceeded to clean her toilet and then claim that the same, unwashed rag would be used in the shower later on as a washcloth!

They also don't wash these rags in soap, and they often filed complaints from customers using them as dishtowels, b/c ya know what?  they smell funny after a while.  Wonder why...

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #1181 on: July 11, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »

This quote just sums up the whole thread.  When you become a pusher of this stuff, you lose...and it's more than just the money that you lose.  The passes are just representative of so much more like friendship, respect, etc. etc. etc.  Sorry to get all philosophical here.  LOL!

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1182 on: July 12, 2019, 05:54:24 AM »
Maybe the exposure of LuLaRoe shed some light on how bad these are?
I hope so. They did explode in a very public way. Unfortunately it seems like every 5 years or so something else pops up. Remember Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef is 100% still going, just not as popular.  But I've been invited to a PC party every 1.5 years or so.
Oh yeah. Past month I got invited to a cousins bridal shower that was through Pampered Chef. It was all, you can come pick out your gift for her in person (from her wish list). I'm going to pick a gift out in front of the bride to be? At that point, why am I not giving cash? And I'm sure there would also be an opportunity to get myself the same item... ans if you couldn't make it in person, dont worry, her wish list is also online!

I was wondering how she got sucked in to this... poked around on Facebook and figured it out
 Really I am related to the groom for this wedding, and his sister is hosting the shower. She got married last year and her new mother in law is a pampered Chef consultant.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1183 on: July 12, 2019, 11:12:34 AM »

[/quote]
[cousin's briadal shower] her new mother in law is a pampered Chef consultant.
[/quote]

This sucks. And I get it. I mean, if they actually believe it's their own business with items they want, then of course they prefer gifts from there instead of Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc. After all, why enrich that family when you can do so for your own?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1184 on: July 12, 2019, 05:51:22 PM »
I hope so. They did explode in a very public way. Unfortunately it seems like every 5 years or so something else pops up. Remember Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef is 100% still going, just not as popular.  But I've been invited to a PC party every 1.5 years or so.
Oh yeah. Past month I got invited to a cousins bridal shower that was through Pampered Chef. It was all, you can come pick out your gift for her in person (from her wish list). I'm going to pick a gift out in front of the bride to be? At that point, why am I not giving cash? And I'm sure there would also be an opportunity to get myself the same item... ans if you couldn't make it in person, dont worry, her wish list is also online!

I was wondering how she got sucked in to this... poked around on Facebook and figured it out
 Really I am related to the groom for this wedding, and his sister is hosting the shower. She got married last year and her new mother in law is a pampered Chef consultant.

Oh, that’s a new one. I think I would respectfully decline the invitation and give cash at the wedding.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1185 on: July 15, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
Saw in invite to a "damsel in defense" party.  This is apparently an MLM that sells stun guns, pepper spray, etc. 

"Please join me on July 20th for a Damsel in Defense Party! Damsel in Defense offers self-defense products such as stun guns, pepper spray, personal alarms and other products. The products are great for realtors, college students, individuals who walk to work in the city, etc. Please pm for details on the party which will have great food and drinks! Also a chance to meet others. Here is the link to the online party."

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1186 on: July 18, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »
Saw in invite to a "damsel in defense" party.  This is apparently an MLM that sells stun guns, pepper spray, etc. 

"Please join me on July 20th for a Damsel in Defense Party! Damsel in Defense offers self-defense products such as stun guns, pepper spray, personal alarms and other products. The products are great for realtors, college students, individuals who walk to work in the city, etc. Please pm for details on the party which will have great food and drinks! Also a chance to meet others. Here is the link to the online party."

How hilarious would it be if all the ladies just started tazing, striking and spraying like crazy?

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1187 on: July 18, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »

Oh, that’s a new one. I think I would respectfully decline the invitation and give cash at the wedding.
I probably would have anyways, and luckily I am out of state an 8hr drive from most family functions. So showers are skipped unless it's a very close family member. Close people get a gift at the shower and cash at the wedding, others get cash or gift card where they are registered, a little more since I skipped the shower. I like a lot of my pampered chef stuff my mom passed to me, but theres a lot of decent knock offs now! I would not be doing a registry there...

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1188 on: July 18, 2019, 11:57:28 AM »

[/quote]

This sucks. And I get it. I mean, if they actually believe it's their own business with items they want, then of course they prefer gifts from there instead of Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc. After all, why enrich that family when you can do so for your own?
[/quote]
Yeah... but the bride to be is not directly related to the consultant.  It's a tad confusing, but the brides soon to be sister in laws mother in law is the consultant.  I dont know if that's any less confusing lol

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1189 on: July 18, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »

the bride to be is not directly related to the consultant.  It's a tad confusing, but the brides soon to be sister in laws mother in law is the consultant.  I dont know if that's any less confusing lol
[/quote]

Ah, I see. The bride is now in the position of supporting her fiancée's mothers "business".

That is terrible. A no-win situation.

katethekitcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1190 on: July 19, 2019, 11:27:57 AM »

her new mother in law is a pampered Chef consultant.

Was Pampered Chef less ridiculous in the days before it was easy to order stuff on Amazon? I remember my mom buying a lot of stuff from it - and she is excellent at money - because it was genuinely good stuff and they had a lot of specialty items that you'd have to go to a cookware store for (at least an hour away from our house). In the current age of instant access for what you need, these parties are beyond stupid; but there WAS a time when many parties were likely providing genuinely needed stuff.

(This is obviously excluding companies that sell junk/crap that falls apart in two seconds. And I hate all things MLM. But it's easy to forget that procuring objects was a lot harder not that long ago.)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1191 on: July 19, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »

Was Pampered Chef less ridiculous in the days before it was easy to order stuff on Amazon? I remember my mom buying a lot of stuff from it - and she is excellent at money - because it was genuinely good stuff and they had a lot of specialty items that you'd have to go to a cookware store for (at least an hour away from our house). In the current age of instant access for what you need, these parties are beyond stupid; but there WAS a time when many parties were likely providing genuinely needed stuff.

(This is obviously excluding companies that sell junk/crap that falls apart in two seconds. And I hate all things MLM. But it's easy to forget that procuring objects was a lot harder not that long ago.)
I think so. They do sell good quality items - their pizza stones are particularly well loved. I am surprised they've survived internet retail. Their prices can't possibly be competitive anymore.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1193 on: July 22, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »

I think so. They do sell good quality items - their pizza stones are particularly well loved. I am surprised they've survived internet retail. Their prices can't possibly be competitive anymore.

I've got a few PC pieces that my mother-in-law gave me.  I like them, but it's kind of like the Yeti cup that she also gave me; it's nice, but I'm not going to spend that much for it when there's something cheaper that works just as well.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1194 on: July 22, 2019, 08:05:12 AM »
When my PAmpered Chef can opener broke, I put a call out to Nextdoor for a Pampered Chef representative to contact me.

Crickets.

What a strange world it is when one wants to buy from an MLM company and one gets silence!

I ended up finding a can opener at Target or ? but it took me a couple models until I got one that was well-made solid and did what I wanted it to do.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1195 on: July 22, 2019, 08:09:31 AM »
When my PAmpered Chef can opener broke, I put a call out to Nextdoor for a Pampered Chef representative to contact me.

Crickets.

What a strange world it is when one wants to buy from an MLM company and one gets silence!

I ended up finding a can opener at Target or ? but it took me a couple models until I got one that was well-made solid and did what I wanted it to do.

Open cans? :)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1196 on: July 22, 2019, 08:16:41 AM »

Crickets.

Open cans with no ragged edge. Be sturdy and last a few years.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1197 on: July 22, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »

Crickets.

Open cans with no ragged edge. Be sturdy and last a few years.

Was just kidding, a good can opener is not easy to find.

Have you ever tried the lid opening style? Rather than cutting through the metal they separate the lid from the can just enough to break the adhesive seal, then you can lift the whole lid off. no cut edges and it's super consistent. Only draw back is if you like to push the lid down into the can for draining. Can't do that as the lid diameter is greater than the can diameter.

https://www.finecooking.com/article/equipment-review-smooth-edge-can-openers-are-a-cut-above

katethekitcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1198 on: July 22, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »

The pizza stone my parents still use is the Pampered Chef one my mom got 20 years ago :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1199 on: July 22, 2019, 02:34:25 PM »
The pizza stone my parents still use is the Pampered Chef one my mom got 20 years ago :)
FWIW, we got one for our wedding 16 years ago, and it has held up very, very well.