Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639546 times)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1100 on: May 21, 2019, 10:16:09 AM »
Didn't know this thread existed until now.

My full post is here -- https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/family-friend-falling-hard-for-mlm-(herbalife)-but-is-it-actually-profitable/

Basically, family friend and her husband have been sucked hard into Herbalife.  In fact, both quit their day jobs (as nurse and an insurance salesman) to open a "nutrition club." Funny enough, my law office is maybe 200 feet away from this club, and I know their rent has to be $1,000+ per month. Add in other costs and I have no idea how this can be profitable.

They are so all in it's scary. Their social media is absolutely outrageous -- she cries almost daily in Instagram stories talking about how much the Herbalife "community" means to her and how she cannot wait to bring "good vibes" to our hometown.

As my post suggested, part of me wonders if, maybe, they are the one percent? I can see one SAHP getting involved in this, but for both people to quit decent paying professional jobs and open up a store, maybe they are doing well? Can they possibly be making $10,000 a month?

So, so confused.

The vast majority of MLM bottom feeders don't make nearly that much. I feel sad for them.

What I think makes it especially sad is that her current "downline" is almost all friends and family trying to support her, and I think that's created a false sense of hope. These folks are not going to go out and sell the product for them. So, now what?

I know from their social media that they are already on the Herbalife "World Team," which means their royalties are $1,000 - $2,500. Their rent at this new place is $950/month minimum, plus internet, other expenses -- oh, and buying more product. How could this possibly be profitable with $2,000/month (at least) overhead?

I don't know why this has captivated me so much, but I honestly can't look away at this point.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1101 on: May 21, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
Anyone else hear about Advocare eliminating the MLM part of their business model?  Going to direct sales only...  Curious if this will hit other companies in the near future.

AdvoCare International announces a revision of its business model from multi-level marketing to a direct-to-consumer and single-level marketing compensation plan.

AdvoCare has been in confidential talks with the Federal Trade Commission about the AdvoCare business model and how AdvoCare compensates its Distributors. The planned change will impact Distributors who have participated in the multi-level aspect of the business. Those who currently sell only to customers will not be impacted and there will be no impact on Preferred Customers or retail customers’ ability to purchase products.

“Over the years, we have made many changes to the AdvoCare policies as the regulatory environment has shifted. Based on recent discussions, it became clear that this change is the only viable option,”

says Patrick Wright, AdvoCare’s Chief Executive Officer.

“Regardless of the model, we remain steadfastly committed to providing our high-quality nutritional products to our loyal customers who are seeking to live healthier lives. We stand behind the integrity and values of this company and will continue to work with our dedicated Distributors to provide the best customer service to ensure AdvoCare products are available for decades to come.”

The company gave notice to its more than 100,000 Distributors on May 17 that, effective July 17, 2019, AdvoCare will revise the business model to a single-level distribution model, paying compensation based solely on sales to direct customers.

The Retail and Preferred Customer programs will remain intact with discounts ranging from 20 – 40 percent. This new business model will allow the company to explore new and innovative ways to bring their premium products to market.

“AdvoCare Distributors have been helping change lives since its founding in 1993, by providing premium wellness products to those looking to reach new health and fitness goals – and that will not change,” says AdvoCare’s former CEO and current Chairman of the Board Reid Ward. “We’re proud of the growth of our Preferred Customer program we launched in 2016, which has grown to almost 400,000 discount customers. We look forward to reaching even more customers with a new business model.”

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1102 on: May 21, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »
Didn't know this thread existed until now.

My full post is here -- https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/family-friend-falling-hard-for-mlm-(herbalife)-but-is-it-actually-profitable/

Basically, family friend and her husband have been sucked hard into Herbalife.  In fact, both quit their day jobs (as nurse and an insurance salesman) to open a "nutrition club." Funny enough, my law office is maybe 200 feet away from this club, and I know their rent has to be $1,000+ per month. Add in other costs and I have no idea how this can be profitable.

They are so all in it's scary. Their social media is absolutely outrageous -- she cries almost daily in Instagram stories talking about how much the Herbalife "community" means to her and how she cannot wait to bring "good vibes" to our hometown.

As my post suggested, part of me wonders if, maybe, they are the one percent? I can see one SAHP getting involved in this, but for both people to quit decent paying professional jobs and open up a store, maybe they are doing well? Can they possibly be making $10,000 a month?

So, so confused.

The vast majority of MLM bottom feeders don't make nearly that much. I feel sad for them.

What I think makes it especially sad is that her current "downline" is almost all friends and family trying to support her, and I think that's created a false sense of hope. These folks are not going to go out and sell the product for them. So, now what?

I know from their social media that they are already on the Herbalife "World Team," which means their royalties are $1,000 - $2,500. Their rent at this new place is $950/month minimum, plus internet, other expenses -- oh, and buying more product. How could this possibly be profitable with $2,000/month (at least) overhead?

I don't know why this has captivated me so much, but I honestly can't look away at this point.

I haven't read your thread yet, but did anyone mention "Betting on Zero"?  Seems like those "nutrition stores" pop up and die fairly frequently.

According to this website, looks like "World Team" is still pretty low on the pyramid.

https://herbalifetruth.weebly.com/

I can't seem to look away from these wrecks either.  I don't know anyone personally who has really crashed and burned in flames of glory with MLMs, but do know a few who have tried and failed, or are still trying and still failing.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1103 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »

they use templates for email/social media, etc. based on mood, target, etc. It isn't their words.
BS in, BS out.

you should tell her that there are plenty of good vibes in the town that she should not mess with. as if she'll listen, she's 99.9% brainwashed.
people who get into MLM are brainwashed before they officially join.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1104 on: May 21, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
Anyone else hear about Advocare eliminating the MLM part of their business model?  Going to direct sales only...  Curious if this will hit other companies in the near future.

AdvoCare International announces a revision of its business model from multi-level marketing to a direct-to-consumer and single-level marketing compensation plan.

AdvoCare has been in confidential talks with the Federal Trade Commission about the AdvoCare business model and how AdvoCare compensates its Distributors. The planned change will impact Distributors who have participated in the multi-level aspect of the business. Those who currently sell only to customers will not be impacted and there will be no impact on Preferred Customers or retail customers’ ability to purchase products.

“Over the years, we have made many changes to the AdvoCare policies as the regulatory environment has shifted. Based on recent discussions, it became clear that this change is the only viable option,”

says Patrick Wright, AdvoCare’s Chief Executive Officer.

“Regardless of the model, we remain steadfastly committed to providing our high-quality nutritional products to our loyal customers who are seeking to live healthier lives. We stand behind the integrity and values of this company and will continue to work with our dedicated Distributors to provide the best customer service to ensure AdvoCare products are available for decades to come.”

The company gave notice to its more than 100,000 Distributors on May 17 that, effective July 17, 2019, AdvoCare will revise the business model to a single-level distribution model, paying compensation based solely on sales to direct customers.

The Retail and Preferred Customer programs will remain intact with discounts ranging from 20 – 40 percent. This new business model will allow the company to explore new and innovative ways to bring their premium products to market.

“AdvoCare Distributors have been helping change lives since its founding in 1993, by providing premium wellness products to those looking to reach new health and fitness goals – and that will not change,” says AdvoCare’s former CEO and current Chairman of the Board Reid Ward. “We’re proud of the growth of our Preferred Customer program we launched in 2016, which has grown to almost 400,000 discount customers. We look forward to reaching even more customers with a new business model.”

That is really interesting! I am curious how some of the current upper level distributors will feel about this change and how it will effect their income. Based upon the comment from their CEO I wonder if more MLM's will move to this model or how they will change their structure. Most of the MLM's I have come in contact with actually have quality products, but the MLM structure leads to them being overpriced.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1105 on: May 21, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »

I haven't read your thread yet, but did anyone mention "Betting on Zero"?  Seems like those "nutrition stores" pop up and die fairly frequently.

According to this website, looks like "World Team" is still pretty low on the pyramid.

https://herbalifetruth.weebly.com/

I can't seem to look away from these wrecks either.  I don't know anyone personally who has really crashed and burned in flames of glory with MLMs, but do know a few who have tried and failed, or are still trying and still failing.

Is it me, or do all those levels seem like the insane levels in Scientology?

ETA: didn't think it could get worse, but here's the benefit of the next level ("Active World Team") -- $500 bonus, on-stage recognition, and a pin. That's it. Good heavens.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:52:34 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1106 on: May 22, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
The Anti-MLM Facebook group was all over the Advocare change this past weekend.  All the other huns were out in force, with their fake sympathy immediately followed with "call me and join my MLM downline!"  A few Advocare reps expressed frustration at being hounded like that.  the irony was lost on them for sure.

For the people who were making the majority of their income via their downlines,  this move has essentially killed their income.  Adding insult to injury, their former downline is now their competition, assuming these people will actually try to sell product and make commission that way.  With such a saturated market and no incentive for reps to stockpile inventory any more, Advocare probably won't be in business much longer.  I'm sure upper mgmt is busy creating a new MLM to jump ship from this sinking one.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #1107 on: May 23, 2019, 07:47:10 AM »
VICE came out with a documentary on LuLaRoe. It was  a sad 30 minutes of all that you would expect from a MLM.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1108 on: May 23, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
VICE came out with a documentary on LuLaRoe. It was  a sad 30 minutes of all that you would expect from a MLM.

Link to the video: m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=L6eujSJ0-RU

What a mess.  I do know that the Roberta lady has been very vocally anti-MLM since she got out.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1109 on: May 23, 2019, 02:25:26 PM »

This is a really great documentary about the damage MLMs do. I know it's one thing for us to sit on here and scoff, but these things ruin people.

This also so, so, so reminded me of the girl I'm talking about with Herbalife. All about her "Fit Fam" and the "community" and blah blah blah. From the outside, it seems so clear to me that all these people are being nice to her (at least in part) because she is part of their "downline."

Sooner or later there won't be any more people to sell this crap to. And then what? This girl is going to probably have a three year commercial lease, thousands of dollars worth of product, and God knows what other debt.

Maybe she will scrape by for a while, but statistics say it's incredibly unlikely.

UndergroundDaytimeDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1110 on: May 23, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »

What a mess.  I do know that the Roberta lady has been very vocally anti-MLM since she got out.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for this link.  Not even done watching it yet.  Yelled at the monitor "they never were your friends! You moron!" and my wife thought something was wrong.  This is some powerful exploitation of those with low self esteem. 

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1111 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
So that Herbalife Nutrition Club...

366 customers on opening day
240 customers on day two.

Maybe they're the one percent?  Or maybe this will all slow down. But either way, this start wildly exceeded my expectations.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1112 on: May 26, 2019, 11:55:08 AM »

Maybe they're the one percent?  Or maybe this will all slow down. But either way, this start wildly exceeded my expectations.

But how many customers at day 50? And what do they classify as customer, anyone who walked within 5.meters of the entrance?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1113 on: May 26, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »

If it's like the Herbalife Nutrition Clubs I've heard about, this opening doesn't surprise me, because...

They are all shrouded in mystery.  They are not allowed to put "Herbalife" on anything, so no one knows that that's what it is.  Also, prices are not listed, so more mystery.  You don't know it's Herbalife until it's too late (unless you've watched them make a shake/tea or whatever already).  It's very frequent that people are pissed when they find out they were duped. 

So, it could be a lot of people saw that it was opening day/weekend and were excited and eager to see what it was all about.  And then the majority find out and swear to never step foot in the door again.

I'd also be more interested in the number of customers that come after 50 days or so, once word gets to spread.  However, if it's a high tourist-traffic area, they may still get a lot of unsuspecting people coming in.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1114 on: May 26, 2019, 12:26:07 PM »

If it's like the Herbalife Nutrition Clubs I've heard about, this opening doesn't surprise me, because...

They are all shrouded in mystery.  They are not allowed to put "Herbalife" on anything, so no one knows that that's what it is.  Also, prices are not listed, so more mystery.  You don't know it's Herbalife until it's too late (unless you've watched them make a shake/tea or whatever already).  It's very frequent that people are pissed when they find out they were duped. 

So, it could be a lot of people saw that it was opening day/weekend and were excited and eager to see what it was all about.  And then the majority find out and swear to never step foot in the door again.

I'd also be more interested in the number of customers that come after 50 days or so, once word gets to spread.  However, if it's a high tourist-traffic area, they may still get a lot of unsuspecting people coming in.

It's at a very, very busy intersection with great visibility. Their mom is a good friend of mine and she is a real estate agent.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1115 on: May 28, 2019, 10:08:58 AM »

It's at a very, very busy intersection with great visibility. Their mom is a good friend of mine and she is a real estate agent.

The point of those shops are to get people to sign up for Herbalife, not to sell shakes.  Herbalife actually recommends selling the shakes at a loss to lure people in.  While those numbers appear to be good traffic for a new business, the bigger question is how many of those people actually sign up, and I have no doubt that very few, if any, will actually fall for it.

A lot of people who unwittingly go into those places are quickly turned off b/c they don't use any fresh products, and they often only have one package you can buy, which includes a smoothie and a tea.  Which is an odd combination, and does a good job of turning away repeat customers, who want a fresh smoothie and not a hot tea chaser!

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1116 on: May 28, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »
The point of those shops are to get people to sign up for Herbalife, not to sell shakes.  Herbalife actually recommends selling the shakes at a loss to lure people in.  While those numbers appear to be good traffic for a new business, the bigger question is how many of those people actually sign up, and I have no doubt that very few, if any, will actually fall for it.

A lot of people who unwittingly go into those places are quickly turned off b/c they don't use any fresh products, and they often only have one package you can buy, which includes a smoothie and a tea.  Which is an odd combination, and does a good job of turning away repeat customers, who want a fresh smoothie and not a hot tea chaser!

Very interesting that you say this, because one of my friends went there just to support a new business the other day.  She said it was really "odd" that she had to get a shake, a tea, and an aloe water.

The customer count, which this shop posts every day, has gone as follows: 360, 230, 180, 150.  I assume they will stop posting these numbers.

FWIW, the owner also posted a stack of papers on her Instagram, and I'm going to assume they were distributor "applications."  Looked like quite a bit.  Statistically, 86% of these people are just signing up for the discount.

Still very, very intrigued to see how this goes. I'm shocked they are getting this many customers but who knows what the margins are.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1117 on: May 29, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »

Very interesting that you say this, because one of my friends went there just to support a new business the other day.  She said it was really "odd" that she had to get a shake, a tea, and an aloe water.

The customer count, which this shop posts every day, has gone as follows: 360, 230, 180, 150.  I assume they will stop posting these numbers.

FWIW, the owner also posted a stack of papers on her Instagram, and I'm going to assume they were distributor "applications."  Looked like quite a bit.  Statistically, 86% of these people are just signing up for the discount.

Still very, very intrigued to see how this goes. I'm shocked they are getting this many customers but who knows what the margins are.

Oh yes, the aloe water!  I knew it was 3 things, but smoothie + tea is where I would have slowly walked away and never gone back.

I'm not sure how Herbalife is handling their upline/downline garbage these days - if they went the way of Advocare, then there would be no incentive to recruit, unless they get a one-time signing bonus?  Then they wouldn't care if people signed up just for some discount on powder. 

I'm sure those declining numbers will not be reported past the first week, especially if they don't experience an uptick on their second weekend in business.

I honestly don't get any of these business models - I have no doubt that GNC sells better quality powders at a lower price than Herbalife.  Same goes w/pretty much anything else, in the age of Walmart and Amazon, why would you pay too much for an inferior product, and have to pay shipping and wait weeks for it to arrive?

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1118 on: May 30, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
Based on a friend who unfortunately got sucked into Herbalife, I am fairly sure that 99% of Herbalife distributors are just jostling for their position in line to get fucked over by the 1% of their upline who actually make a profit. So maybe not that different from society at large, but with even more self-delusion, because poor people in real life usually know they are poor; poor Herbalife distributors still think they are self-made entrepreneurs, liberating themselves and others from the drudgery of a 9-5 existence.

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #1119 on: June 01, 2019, 08:02:00 PM »

I had absolutely zero sympathy for the lady who “*sniff* decided to let her house go *cry*”

Meanwhile:
1) you never thought to start paying down that house note with some of those five figure bonus checks. She implies an income near $1M (she said she was nearly a millionaire which she probably meant the incorrect definition of as having a $1M salary vs the correct net worth definition)
2) probably pressured a bunch of her downline in order to keep the money flowing. Given how much your entire downline has to buy to get that bonus check.
3) she has a huge SUV and probably amongst many others she shows off a $4k purse that “she deserved”. Lady that’s a mortgage payment or two right there

Probably getting exactly what she deserved.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Dude Was Selling Me on His "Story"
« Reply #1120 on: June 21, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »
I'm at a BBQ and this guy approaches me about his new MLM experience.

"My friends wanted me to get into this, and I said fuck you, it's bullshit, but you know what? As I looked into, I saw it wasn't bullshit. And then they wanted me to drink these shakes to lose weight, and I told them fuck you, I'm gonna be shitting my pants, but you know what? I didn't shit my pants. And then they wanted me to meet Erica, and I said who's Erica? Dude, she's really rich, and such a nice person, too."

Do you see what he was doing? He was addressing my objections by saying he thought it wouldn't work, and that he thought shakes would lead to shitting his pants.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Dude Was Selling Me on His "Story"
« Reply #1121 on: June 21, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »

"My friends wanted me to get into this, and I said fuck you, it's bullshit, but you know what? As I looked into, I saw it wasn't bullshit. And then they wanted me to drink these shakes to lose weight, and I told them fuck you, I'm gonna be shitting my pants, but you know what? I didn't shit my pants. And then they wanted me to meet Erica, and I said who's Erica? Dude, she's really rich, and such a nice person, too."

Do you see what he was doing? He was addressing my objections by saying he thought it wouldn't work, and that he thought shakes would lead to shitting his pants.

Lol. Did it work?

"Yeah, so shakes didn't make you shit your pants? Have you tried Soylent? It'll make you good friends with the toilet."

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1122 on: June 21, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »

I wonder how often the conversation goes like this:

"but you know what? I didn't shit my pants."

"I'm in"

It's a clever tactic bring up the objections you expect your mark will have before they get a chance to... but why would anyone think shakes cause diarrhea? Is that a thing?

Now I'm actually more worried about whatever he's selling.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Ex-boss' Wife Calls at Christmas
« Reply #1123 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
I sent an xmas card to an old boss. A phone call comes from his home number. It's his wife. She wanted to say that she loved that we sent a silly card instead being so serious. She emphasizes that everyone is doing so well, particularly noting a loser son's great business success.

And then it comes. She begins in with these products, and the business, and how the medical community was conspiring against all the healing benefits of them. She was thinking I'd be great at this, and also my wife. I mention that because my wife works in a hospital, it would be a conflict of interest, to which she says it would actually be better, because she has access to sick people who can buy more stuff.

1 hour later I'm tired from trying not to crack up in her face, and agree to review the confidential materials that are for insiders only, because the FDA has it out for them, because they want people to keep having cancer.

I get the materials, and forward them immediately to the FDA.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1124 on: June 21, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »

Lol. Did it work?

"Yeah, so shakes didn't make you shit your pants? Have you tried Soylent? It'll make you good friends with the toilet."

Like all diets, it works if you work it. You're drinking water-based shakes and 1 good meal a day. No alcohol, or junk. What also works is eating only meat and vegetables.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1125 on: June 22, 2019, 12:36:55 AM »

I wonder how often the conversation goes like this:

"but you know what? I didn't shit my pants."

"I'm in"

It's a clever tactic bring up the objections you expect your mark will have before they get a chance to... but why would anyone think shakes cause diarrhea? Is that a thing?

I mean, diarrhea will certainly cause weight loss.
Until you get used to the shakes, no more diarrhea and no more weightless.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1126 on: June 24, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »
Wait - the shakes cause you to get the shakes and wreck your pants??? 

The FDA needs to know about this stuff... /s

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1127 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:22 AM »
No, silly, they DON'T make you shit yourself. That's how you know you'll get rich. Now get out there and make it happen!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1128 on: June 26, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »

Lol. Did it work?

Like all diets, it works if you work it. You're drinking water-based shakes and 1 good meal a day. No alcohol, or junk. What also works is eating only meat and vegetables.

Not an MLM, but it fits perfectly with this conversation and I needed to share it with someone.  Next door to my office is a cafe that just screams "pretentious."  It's a restaurant that sells food, but reminds you on every wall and surface that they're healthy and organic and vibes and choose your related buzzword.  Strangely, their website has almost nothing to do with the restaurant chain.  Instead, its a storefront for selling "cleansing" shakes.  They recommend a 30-day "cleanse" with their product to rid you of "toxins" that are residing in your fat cells.  During this cleanse they want you to drink lots of water and consume only their special drink for a month.  The irritability you experience is from those pesky toxins being pissed out instead of the radical change in your diet.  Congratulations, your body is now "mobilized" which means you're sweating and pissing out these toxins, which without the special drink you weren't doing before.  Somehow these toxins just kept on accumulating all these years without killing you.  Apparently purging your body of these unnamed toxins with the help of their juice is what is helping you lose weight rather than their previous advice of not eating.  And be sure to eat only organic foods after the cleanse that haven't been "genetically sprayed." (can you imagine the scientific and commercial implications of being able to genetically modify something with a spray bottle?) And be sure to involve friends and family to increase their consumer base - I mean for support.

https://kaleidoscope.love/cleanse-instructions

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1129 on: June 26, 2019, 02:34:06 PM »
If anyone tries to sell me on diets, especially the MLM ones, my response is: do you even exercise, walking doesn't count.

Diets are pointless unless paired with an exercise routine.

Every person I know doing keto/atkins/WW/etc doesn't exercise or doesn't stick to routine.

My mum didn't, her weight yo-yo'd when she went on/off slimfast. Then she stopped dieting and started exercising in the company gym, her weight reduced some then was constant.

Fuck MLMs and dieters who don't exercise.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1130 on: June 26, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
If anyone tries to sell me on diets, especially the MLM ones, my response is: do you even exercise, walking doesn't count.

Diets are pointless unless paired with an exercise routine.

Every person I know doing keto/atkins/WW/etc doesn't exercise or doesn't stick to routine.

My mum didn't, her weight yo-yo'd when she went on/off slimfast. Then she stopped dieting and started exercising in the company gym, her weight reduced some then was constant.

Fuck MLMs and dieters who don't exercise.

Umm....

I lost 70lbs with pretty much diet alone and kept it off for years. No intense exercise here due to some serious injuries and medical issues that prevented anything more than gentle walking.

Yes, temporary, restrictive "diets" tend to fail, but that does not mean that a consistent change in diet can't result in substantial and sustainable weight loss.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: June 27, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »
My wife is about to lose a good deal of weight with the MMM diet by riding a bicycle 4 miles a day. Despite not exercising for about 5 years, she's maintained her current weight, so I feel confident that she'll be very happy with the results.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1132 on: June 27, 2019, 08:35:03 AM »

Walking does count!  I lost 40 pounds by eating low-carb and taking long walks.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #1133 on: June 27, 2019, 09:21:16 AM »
I got fooled again.  Accepted a friend request on FB from someone who I didn't know that well - about 10 years ago our kids did an activity together for a year.  We still have mutual friends but I'm sure I haven't seen her in at least 8 years.  Sure enough, her Facebook feed consisted entirely of motivational diet stuff and before & after pics of those using her product and "contact me!" to find out more.  I unfriended her so fast...

The funny part is I'm hardly on FB at all; I only log in every day or two to check a couple of community pages.  I actually accepted the request by accident!  She has a unique name, let's call her Esmerelda.  I recently met a funny and kind woman named Esmerelda through another friend, and I hadn't thought of Old Esmerelda in years, so I thought New Esmerelda wanted to connect.

It's so sad that the only reason a "friend" or acquaintance suddenly contacts you after an absence of 5 or more years is to sell you something.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #1134 on: June 27, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
Umm....

I lost 70lbs with pretty much diet alone and kept it off for years. No intense exercise here due to some serious injuries and medical issues that prevented anything more than gentle walking.

Yes, temporary, restrictive "diets" tend to fail, but that does not mean that a consistent change in diet can't result in substantial and sustainable weight loss.

Yeah, unless you're doing Olympic athlete levels of exercise, diet matters far more for weight loss because it's ridiculously easier to eat/not eat an extra 1000 calories than it is to burn that off.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1135 on: June 27, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »

Yeah, I lost 18 lbs. last year by watching portions and taking long walks. I only gain weight when I stop caring about my diet.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1136 on: June 27, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »
ok you long walkers are making me eat crow.

i find it easier to work out consistently and burn calories instead of restricting my food. but then I barely eat junk and refined carbs, eating more protein and veg. (maybe i'm dieting and I don't know it?)

back to eating crow. om nom nom.

@Malkynn perhaps you're a statistical outlier or my anecdata should not be used to broadly sweep all dieters.

where's that darn crow?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1137 on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
I think you can mail order fresh crow from Amazon these days... Got free shipping?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1138 on: June 27, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
I think you can mail order fresh crow from Amazon these days... Got free shipping?

I haz a Primes account... I needs to go food shopping there but never have.

I'm assuming it's packed in freeze-dried turds.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1139 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »

Walking absolutely counts, because some people can't do anything else.  And even if you can, it counts.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1140 on: June 27, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »

i find it easier to work out consistently and burn calories instead of restricting my food. but then I barely eat junk and refined carbs, eating more protein and veg. (maybe i'm dieting and I don't know it?)

@Malkynn perhaps you're a statistical outlier or my anecdata should not be used to broadly sweep all dieters.

where's that darn crow?

Great response.
I appreciate this community more and more. Some people in real life aren't this open to being contradicted.

If anyone tries to sell me on diets, especially the MLM ones, my response is: do you even exercise, walking from the house to the car, car to the store doesn't count.
FTFY

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #1141 on: June 27, 2019, 07:57:57 PM »

where's that darn crow?

This is now the gold standard for how to stand corrected with honor on a forum. jinga nation, you are today's hero.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1142 on: June 28, 2019, 04:39:49 AM »

Walking absolutely counts, because some people can't do anything else.  And even if you can, it counts.

I agree with you, but it's not just the walking it's also the distance/duration. When I walk to the supermarket, that's 2k, work is 3k and city center is 5k.

Just walking 2 or 3 hundred meters won't cut it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1143 on: June 28, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »

I haz a Primes account... I needs to go food shopping there but never have.

I'm assuming it's packed in freeze-dried turds.

HAHAHA. Have a great weekend!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1144 on: June 28, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
It's so sad that the only reason a "friend" or acquaintance suddenly contacts you after an absence of 5 or more years is to sell you something.
This is sad. Earlier in the thread is a good discussion of how MLMs and the general "hustle economy" are so bad for community and mutual aid. Every relationship is turned into a potential profit center and "friends" are nothing but marketing targets.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1145 on: June 28, 2019, 08:20:56 AM »
This is sad. Earlier in the thread is a good discussion of how MLMs and the general "hustle economy" are so bad for community and mutual aid. Every relationship is turned into a potential profit center and "friends" are nothing but marketing targets.
+1
Word.
MLMs have not only ruined good friendships but also made me wary of making new friends.
Meanwhile my existing friendships have become better, stronger, longer.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1146 on: June 28, 2019, 08:59:40 AM »
I feel like the MLM thing might be dying down already. When this thread started I knew tons of neighborhood mom's that were in them, and a friend who had a year of two making LOTS of money with LuLaRoe. I was getting requests once a week to go to "parties". But in the last year and a half....nothing. The LuLaRoe seller I know left last summer or the summer before. I can't remember now.
Maybe the exposure of LuLaRoe shed some light on how bad these are?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1147 on: June 28, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
I hope so. They did explode in a very public way. Unfortunately it seems like every 5 years or so something else pops up. Remember Pampered Chef?

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1148 on: June 28, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »
I feel like the MLM thing might be dying down already. When this thread started I knew tons of neighborhood mom's that were in them, and a friend who had a year of two making LOTS of money with LuLaRoe. I was getting requests once a week to go to "parties". But in the last year and a half....nothing. The LuLaRoe seller I know left last summer or the summer before. I can't remember now.

Moms in MLMs is one of the things I don't miss about Facebook. They were touting some kind of lotion/makeup. And they sounded ridiculous, posting photos of their leadership meetings a local restaurant, talking about how they own their own business (a post that was probably crafted with incredible care), and other very annoying stuff.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1149 on: June 28, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
I hope so. They did explode in a very public way. Unfortunately it seems like every 5 years or so something else pops up. Remember Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef is 100% still going, just not as popular.  But I've been invited to a PC party every 1.5 years or so.