Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639458 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #1050 on: February 20, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »
Oh no one of my church friends has gotten sucked in to an MLM I haven't heard of before. Anybody heard of these...

"Smart coffee?"

"Happy coffee?"

"Elevacity?"

Now all my weak-minded church friends are getting sucked in. Oh noooooo...

My husband was looking at the many, many facebook posts with me. At first I thought it was maybe something legit? Because coffee? He's like, oh, that's another scammy MLM.

Are you sure?

OF COURSE IT'S A SCAMMY MLM!

Then he went off..."I think I'd rather my wife have an addiction to gambling than be an MLM person. At least with gambling it's fun and maybe you might win some money at some point..."

Shame on you!  It's MAGIC COFFEE.  And it's for weight loss.  And it's amazing.

RIGHT NOW IS THE TIME TO GET IN!  It's in the early stages.  THAT'S WHEN YOU MAKE MONEY (ya know, cuz you are at the top of the pyramid).  AND IT'S MAGIC.

Also: it's basically speed.  It took some sleuthing.  Because "I'll PM you" and all that.  But with looking at pictures long enough, and enlarging, and googling, I was able to find the name of the company and product.  Google the ingredients.  Yes, it's awesome for weight loss when diet and exercise didn't work, because it's speed.  It's an appetite suppressant.  You aren't eating ice cream before bed.  Who knew!

Oh. Oh my God. You're kidding me. She posts a picture of her falling numbers as she stands on a scale every single day. Also keeps posting about how she has so much energy. Good lord. How will I restrain myself from commenting on this? Good friends of mine are inquiring about this product directly on her posts! I think I have to start PMing my friends.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1051 on: February 20, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »
mm1970   Can you post a link or ingredient list that EnglishteacherAlex can use to build a FB post reply directly on the friend's page?   

Ugh.   So many diet aids in the US are banned in Canada, due to different labelling laws, and it is for a good reason.  Remember the diet teas in the 80's and 90's that caused so many people to pass out and end up at the hospital?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1052 on: February 20, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »
OMG!  I just looked up elevacity...  it states, multiple times, that the company's / product's mission is to "elevate your health, wealth and happiness".  BAM.  Right in their mission / opening sales pitch they are outright saying that the product is a business structure, not a diet aid.

I did not realize MLM's were so bold about it not being about the product. 

ETA:

Ingredients list reveal this to be  a mix of Highly concentrated Caffiene, MSG, Speed, and a couple other minor ingredients for anti-microbial, anti-oxidant, memory and fat burning (questionable).

Ingredients: [paraphrased]

[CAFFIENE], [CAFFIENE], [CAFFIENE], Canola Lecithin (food additive to emulsify / blend ingredients), [CAFFIENE], L-Theanine (acts like a glutamate such as MSG on your systems), PEA (Beta Phenylethylamine HCL) [see below], [CAFFIENE], Kigelia Africana Extract [anti-microbial?], A-GPC (Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline)[memory supplement], [Highly concentrated CAFFIENE powder], Juglans Regia Extract [a natural source of Octodrine from walnut bark, chemically similar to ephedrine and DMAA which are controlled in most countries. it is a psychoactive central nervous system stimulant ], Chromium Polynicotinate.Xanthohumol extract [insulin active, reasonably safe], Tumeric Root Extract, (95% Curcuminoids), [CAFFIENE] 3’3’Diindolmethane [may act like estrogen], Phosphatidyl Choline [possibly safe, maybe breaks down fat, mixed scientific results]

From WebMB..  I only checked the first two additive ingredients that I did not recognize, and got this..

Phenethylamine is POSSIBLY UNSAFE for most people when taken by mouth appropriately. Phenethylamine works similar to the drug amphetamine, and may cause similar side effects. Also, it might cause rapid heart rate, anxiety, or agitation.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Bipolar disorder: Use of phenethylamine might cause people with bipolar disorder to convert from depression to mania.

Schizophrenia: Use of phenethylamine might worsen symptoms of schizophrenia, including hallucinations or delusions.

Surgery: Phenethylamine might affect the central nervous system. This could interfere with surgery. Stop taking phenethylamine at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:33:22 PM by Goldielocks »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1053 on: February 20, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »
mm1970   Can you post a link or ingredient list that EnglishteacherAlex can use to build a FB post reply directly on the friend's page?   

Ugh.   So many diet aids in the US are banned in Canada, due to different labelling laws, and it is for a good reason.  Remember the diet teas in the 80's and 90's that caused so many people to pass out and end up at the hospital?

Don't recall any special teas, but my mother bought a huge bottle of pills that were supposed to enlarge and take up space in the stomach.  Thankfully that gimmick didn't last long when it was revealed people were being suffocated when the pills activated too soon.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1054 on: February 20, 2019, 10:58:44 PM »
Geez Goldilocks. Just...I'm speechless.

Do I talk to this woman directly? We're acquaintances; I wouldn't say we're friends. Definitely going to talk to my friends who have been expressing interest...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1055 on: February 20, 2019, 11:26:48 PM »

Do I talk to this woman directly? We're acquaintances; I wouldn't say we're friends. Definitely going to talk to my friends who have been expressing interest...
I think I would indeed let her know (one on one) about the aphetamine in it, if she is currently consuming it.   I wouldn't want my worst enemy drinking that without knowing.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1056 on: February 21, 2019, 03:56:33 AM »
Phenethylamine is POSSIBLY UNSAFE for most people when taken by mouth appropriately. Phenethylamine works similar to the drug amphetamine, and may cause similar side effects. Also, it might cause rapid heart rate, anxiety, or agitation.

Schizophrenia: Use of phenethylamine might worsen symptoms of schizophrenia, including hallucinations or delusions.

I don't see what the problem is about Schizophrenia but the voices tell me it's not natural...

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #1057 on: February 21, 2019, 06:40:38 AM »
Also: it's basically speed.  It took some sleuthing.  Because "I'll PM you" and all that.  But with looking at pictures long enough, and enlarging, and googling, I was able to find the name of the company and product.  Google the ingredients.  Yes, it's awesome for weight loss when diet and exercise didn't work, because it's speed.  It's an appetite suppressant.  You aren't eating ice cream before bed.  Who knew!

This reminded me of an overheard at work story, at a spice and tea shop.

Owner to Customer: Can I help you find something.
Customer: Yes, I’m looking for the kind of tea that makes you loose weight.
Owner: Uhhh, I’ve never heard of a tea used for that, there can be some other health benefits...
Customer: My friend started drinking this tea and she’s lost a bunch of weight, but I don’t remember what kind.
Owner: How about I list some common ones and you can tell me if it sounds familiar. (Begins listing)
Customer (impatiently): No I don’t remember the name, but she said she drinks this tea every night instead of ice cream, and now she’s lost like 10lbs in a month!
Long pause
Owner: Well, have you considered that maybe she lost weight because she stopped eating ice cream every night?
Customer: Oh! (Shocked pause) I bet you’re right. Huh. Why didn’t she just say that!
Owner: On the bright side, now you can get whatever kind of tea you like, what’s flavors do you like?

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: February 21, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
Great story, and very appropriate to your username, Peachtea!  Thank you!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1059 on: February 21, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »

I don't see what the problem is about Schizophrenia but the voices tell me it's not natural...

Not an MLM, but...

My aunt has long lasting heart problems from phen-phen.  She says she'd totally be willing to knowingly shorten her life and make the problems more severe if she could take it again. She'd rather be skinny

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #1060 on: February 21, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »

@englishteacheralex  I think educating people regarding how malicious MLMs are is important.  However, to try to educate someone who sells MLM products is a losing battle.  The way these companies work is cultish.  Sellers are told to ignore negativity, and are pushed the MLM ideology.  I wish numbers and logic would be enough to educate, but it usually isn't.

If you were to communicate what @Goldilocks did so well in researching, I guarantee that it wouldn't be well received.  I'd love to be proved wrong in this!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1061 on: February 21, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »

This reminded me of an overheard at work story, at a spice and tea shop.

Owner to Customer: Can I help you find something.
Customer: Yes, I’m looking for the kind of tea that makes you loose weight.
Owner: Uhhh, I’ve never heard of a tea used for that, there can be some other health benefits...
Customer: My friend started drinking this tea and she’s lost a bunch of weight, but I don’t remember what kind.
Owner: How about I list some common ones and you can tell me if it sounds familiar. (Begins listing)
Customer (impatiently): No I don’t remember the name, but she said she drinks this tea every night instead of ice cream, and now she’s lost like 10lbs in a month!
Long pause
Owner: Well, have you considered that maybe she lost weight because she stopped eating ice cream every night?
Customer: Oh! (Shocked pause) I bet you’re right. Huh. Why didn’t she just say that!
Owner: On the bright side, now you can get whatever kind of tea you like, what’s flavors do you like?

Pretty much my reaction any time someone mentions a drink, pill, or diet with a proper name that claims to be the cure-all for disease or being overweight.

"You know what you're describing sounds an awful lot like simply not eating."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1062 on: February 21, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the person I know is hawking Revital U.  (You know, just by stalking the photos and and googling.)  Found this on Reddit (just based on some photos on FB).

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiMLM/comments/75ka2s/revital_u_brew_who_are_they_and_wtf_are_they/

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1063 on: February 21, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
I just talked to a friend who goes to my church about whether or not to say anything to "Smart Coffee" lady.

He said I should ask her if I can get a dime bag of the coffee from her for the weekend because I have so many papers to grade and I just need something to get me through them.

Ha!

Except she might take me seriously...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1064 on: February 21, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »

@englishteacheralex  I think educating people regarding how malicious MLMs are is important.  However, to try to educate someone who sells MLM products is a losing battle.  The way these companies work is cultish.  Sellers are told to ignore negativity, and are pushed the MLM ideology.  I wish numbers and logic would be enough to educate, but it usually isn't.

If you were to communicate what @Goldilocks did so well in researching, I guarantee that it wouldn't be well received.  I'd love to be proved wrong in this!
True! (about not being received well), but how could you go on letting someone risk themselves without giving a fair warning?

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #1065 on: February 22, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »
Great story, and very appropriate to your username, Peachtea!  Thank you!

Thanks! The story and username are funny coincidences as it’s actually my MILs overheard at work story (but was so good it really stuck with me) and I picked my username based on what was sitting in front of me at the time (real creative, I know).

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1066 on: February 22, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
OMG!  I just looked up elevacity...  it states, multiple times, that the company's / product's mission is to "elevate your health, wealth and happiness".  BAM.  Right in their mission / opening sales pitch they are outright saying that the product is a business structure, not a diet aid.

ETA:

Ingredients list reveal this to be  a mix of Highly concentrated Caffiene, MSG, Speed, and a couple other minor ingredients for anti-microbial, anti-oxidant, memory and fat burning (questionable).

[CAFFIENE], [CAFFIENE], [CAFFIENE], Canola Lecithin (food additive to emulsify / blend ingredients), [CAFFIENE], L-Theanine (acts like a glutamate such as MSG on your systems), PEA (Beta Phenylethylamine HCL) [see below], [CAFFIENE], Kigelia Africana Extract [anti-microbial?], A-GPC (Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline)[memory supplement], [Highly concentrated CAFFIENE powder], Juglans Regia Extract [a natural source of Octodrine from walnut bark, chemically similar to ephedrine and DMAA which are controlled in most countries. it is a psychoactive central nervous system stimulant ], Chromium Polynicotinate.Xanthohumol extract [insulin active, reasonably safe], Tumeric Root Extract, (95% Curcuminoids), [CAFFIENE] 3’3’Diindolmethane [may act like estrogen], Phosphatidyl Choline [possibly safe, maybe breaks down fat, mixed scientific results]

From WebMB..  I only checked the first two additive ingredients that I did not recognize, and got this..

Bipolar disorder: Use of phenethylamine might cause people with bipolar disorder to convert from depression to mania.

Surgery: Phenethylamine might affect the central nervous system. This could interfere with surgery. Stop taking phenethylamine at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

ETA: I was mistaken as to which drug we were talking about and was corrected further down-thread. Fenethylline and Phenethylline are different compounds within the same drug family, and I thought of the wrong one.

I find this post crazy to see, as I'm a forensic toxicologist who recently did a research project regarding Fenethylline (I'm not sure why America and Europe can't agree on ph vs f, we have the same deal with amphetamine vs amfetamine, but I digress...).

Somethings to note:
1. I've only seen this come up in recent times in a few news articles claiming that Syrian soldiers were taking fenethylline for its stimulatory properties. Fenethylline being used as a diet aid is a relatively interesting idea, but amphetamines and related compounds were used in the past for the same purpose.
2. The reason why fenethylline "works similar to" amphetamine is its actually a prodrug for amphetamine. Meaning when you take fenethylline, your body breaks it down to form amphetamine. One research paper suggested that fenethylline might have its own activity at receptor sites, but this has not been proven with recent models (and I found their evidence pretty meh).
3. The structure of fenethylline is essentially amphetamine and theophylline (which is very structurally similar to caffeine) connected by a two-carbon chain. Metabolites from our study included amphetamine (and further metabolites from that) and theophylline derivatives (and further metabolites, etc)
4. The AMOUNT of what you take is generally what makes an item harmful. I doubt that this diet pill has any fenethylline at all (via a different research paper I had to read, regarding how all of the fenethylline pills they tested actually didn't have fenethylline at all... but this was random street seizures in the middle east and not a "reputable" (?) MLM diet pill) and even if it did, I'd doubt that it would have enough fenethylline to cause an effect beyond what you could do to yourself via having some Ritalin and a cup of coffee.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:12:38 AM by penguintroopers »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1067 on: February 22, 2019, 09:38:40 AM »

ETA:

I find this post crazy to see, as I'm a forensic toxicologist who recently did a research project regarding Fenethylline (I'm not sure why America and Europe can't agree on ph vs f, we have the same deal with amphetamine vs amfetamine, but I digress...).

Somethings to note:
1. I've only seen this come up in recent times in a few news articles claiming that Syrian soldiers were taking fenethylline for its stimulatory properties. Fenethylline being used as a diet aid is a relatively interesting idea, but amphetamines and related compounds were used in the past for the same purpose.
2. The reason why fenethylline "works similar to" amphetamine is its actually a prodrug for amphetamine. Meaning when you take fenethylline, your body breaks it down to form amphetamine. One research paper suggested that fenethylline might have its own activity at receptor sites, but this has not been proven with recent models (and I found their evidence pretty meh).
3. The structure of fenethylline is essentially amphetamine and theophylline (which is very structurally similar to caffeine) connected by a two-carbon chain. Metabolites from our study included amphetamine (and further metabolites from that) and theophylline derivatives (and further metabolites, etc)
4. The AMOUNT of what you take is generally what makes an item harmful. I doubt that this diet pill has any fenethylline at all (via a different research paper I had to read, regarding how all of the fenethylline pills they tested actually didn't have fenethylline at all... but this was random street seizures in the middle east and not a "reputable" (?) MLM diet pill) and even if it did, I'd doubt that it would have enough fenethylline to cause an effect beyond what you could do to yourself via having some Ritalin and a cup of coffee.

That sounds relatively harmless for a healthy person who uses the MLM product in accordance with the instructions.

How many MLM members are healthy, and how many are likely to abuse the product? I think the Venn diagram showing those intersecting circles would represent the set of people at risk.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1068 on: February 22, 2019, 10:38:20 AM »

ETA:

Somethings to note:

That sounds relatively harmless for a healthy person who uses the MLM product in accordance with the instructions.

How many MLM members are healthy, and how many are likely to abuse the product? I think the Venn diagram showing those intersecting circles would represent the set of people at risk.

Very true. I just get tired with people who take a "oh my gosh,  I can't pronounce the name of this drug, therefore I'm going to die if it just touches me" fear mongering. But on the other hand, this does not mean throw all caution to the wind and take/eat/drink ridiculous amounts beyond whats recommended. Like pretty much everything in life, (and you hit the nail on the head Grim) moderation is key, and there are subsets of people in every population where a drug can have a greater effect on one individual vs another, or they could be more predisposed to abuse than someone else for various environmental/natural preconditions.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1069 on: February 22, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »
Yeah, I did my own googling and to me it seemed like one of those products that I would never take but which is maybe not that big a deal? It's not Fen-Phen; googling revealed that that's a different thing.

So I emailed the ingredients info to my friend who was posting on the acquaintance's thread, and the friend said she was just curious because the acquaintance seemed to be exhibiting some of the same behaviors as the friend's meth-addicted clients (my friend is a social worker) and she was wondering what the heck was up.

Anyway...I'm pretty sure I'm not going to intentionally do anything else about this, but it's the freakiest MLM product I've come across.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1070 on: February 22, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »
Yeah, I did my own googling and to me it seemed like one of those products that I would never take but which is maybe not that big a deal? It's not Fen-Phen; googling revealed that that's a different thing.

Yep, apologizes, I stand corrected on which drug we're specifically talking about, but we're still in the same drug family with similar effects.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1071 on: February 23, 2019, 01:10:15 AM »

So I emailed the ingredients info to my friend who was posting on the acquaintance's thread, and the friend said she was just curious because the acquaintance seemed to be exhibiting some of the same behaviors as the friend's meth-addicted clients (my friend is a social worker) and she was wondering what the heck was up.

Anyway...I'm pretty sure I'm not going to intentionally do anything else about this, but it's the freakiest MLM product I've come across.

LOL  (really, I made my DD look up from her phone) ---   You know, the "training" on how to effectively recruit for your MLM team would look a bit similar to the meth addicted clients' behaviours, but when you supercharge it with massive does of caffiene and a bit of amphetamine pro-drugs....   I can only imagine what your friend's FB and inbox look to be on the receiving end of this MLM marketing push.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: March 04, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
Went to the local home show yesterday, saw the booth with skinny coffee only told my mom it was a MLM instead of the people at the booth.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: March 06, 2019, 01:13:48 PM »
Saw someone selling these on a Facebook group.  Perfect for any pyramid-type essential oil sales gig. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1074 on: March 06, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »
An actual pyramid for storing your MLM quack oil?! That's too perfect.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1075 on: March 07, 2019, 07:56:49 AM »
And even the rack lacks efficiency. Look at all that wasted space along the edges!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1076 on: March 07, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
And even the rack lacks efficiency. Look at all that wasted space along the edges!

Not at all, it's actually the most efficient shape for upstream flow.  Unleash the power of the pyramid!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1077 on: March 17, 2019, 07:34:26 PM »
You know what makes amazing "zero waste" tissues (aka hankerchiefs, but I keep boxes of them around the house and only use each one once, then wash)

LLR leggings. They are buttery soft...

I got a huge bag of God awful patterns on buy nothing, so I filled up a few more tissue boxes for rooms that don't have them.

They are all a but worn, so hoping they don't pill too badly in the wash.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1078 on: March 18, 2019, 12:13:54 AM »
I went to a Stella & Dot Party. I bought something. I'm donating it to a fund raising event. Will my life ever be the same?

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1079 on: March 18, 2019, 06:41:39 AM »
You know what makes amazing "zero waste" tissues (aka hankerchiefs, but I keep boxes of them around the house and only use each one once, then wash)

I got a huge bag of God awful patterns on buy nothing, so I filled up a few more tissue boxes for rooms that don't have them.

Oooh, that's a great idea!  I bet they'd be good for baby things, too.  My sister has a bunch of soft leggings (LLR or not) that she keeps wearing through the thighs on (she's a bodybuilder and her legs are INSANE) - maybe I'll ask her for them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1080 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »

Oooh, that's a great idea!  I bet they'd be good for baby things, too.  My sister has a bunch of soft leggings (LLR or not) that she keeps wearing through the thighs on (she's a bodybuilder and her legs are INSANE) - maybe I'll ask her for them.

Baby tissues was why I went to reusable tissues. Even the softest store bought one cause a runny nose to get red and roughed up.  Now I prefer them too.  DH, who is less of a tree hugger, thinks they are gross- but oddly, has a hankerchief he carries in the winter. LOL

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1081 on: March 18, 2019, 08:22:27 AM »

Baby tissues was why I went to reusable tissues. Even the softest store bought one cause a runny nose to get red and roughed up.  Now I prefer them too.  DH, who is less of a tree hugger, thinks they are gross- but oddly, has a hankerchief he carries in the winter. LOL

Haha, that's EXACTLY what happened to us.  We started using our reusable wipes as tissues as our toddler potty trained, and I use them too, but the leggings material would be much much softer.  DH also prefers regular Kleenex type tissues, but carries a handkerchief all the time "just for wiping", no blowing :)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1082 on: March 26, 2019, 02:30:16 PM »
My favorite peddler of overpriced protein powder just posted her "money saving" weekly grocery plan. This includes:
meal kit delivery
$100 per week(!!!) on their shakes and other nutritional products
InstaCart grocery delivery

Total cost for a family of 3 is $250 per week(!!), but this "saves them money" because they're not tempted to get takeout or delivery.

I'm skeptical...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »
My favorite peddler of overpriced protein powder just posted her "money saving" weekly grocery plan. This includes:
meal kit delivery

Total cost for a family of 3 is $250 per week(!!), but this "saves them money" because they're not tempted to get takeout or delivery.

I'm skeptical...
Wow.  We feed our family of eight very well on that amount.

Fae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1084 on: March 27, 2019, 06:54:12 AM »
meal kit delivery

I'm skeptical...

That is a lot of money per week, even in my (very) spending days we never got close to that amount, and we ate like kings plus I have a food hoarding tendency (working on it). Though I guess "saving money" is very perspective dependent. If they were spending $300 per week, then they are technically saving $50/week (more likely they are blowing it on something else).

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #1085 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:04 AM »

Then he went off..."I think I'd rather my wife have an addiction to gambling than be an MLM person. At least with gambling it's fun and maybe you might win some money at some point..."

Quote of the day.  Your husband is totally right.  Plus, you don't annoy all your friends with a gambling addition. 

Of course, a gambling addiction is nothing to make light of, but he has a point.

I used to deal with pro athletes frequently. Several mentioned the danger of having a stay-at-home wife (as most did given their incomes) who wanted to start her own business. After all, she saw the success of her husband (totally unrelated, of course), was living large herself, and figured that she had what it took to be successful as a businesswoman. One guy told me he told his wife to take an additional $10,000 a month and do whatever she wanted if she would not start a business. He had seen too many of his teammates's wives lose six- and even seven figures with their "businesses."

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1086 on: April 19, 2019, 12:11:38 AM »
Today I discovered* that being a member of an MLM is explicitly called out as a fireable offense at my company.

* I was looking through the rules of employment to see what steps I'd need to follow the day I decide to quit

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1087 on: April 19, 2019, 08:19:51 AM »
Today I discovered* that being a member of an MLM is explicitly called out as a fireable offense at my company.

This is understandable, considering how disruptive MLM marketers can be in the workplace (not to mention the amount of company time they spend on their "business").

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1088 on: April 19, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »

* I was looking through the rules of employment to see what steps I'd need to follow the day I decide to quit

Wow- that's insane. I wonder if it is enforceable. Lots of people are "discount only" in companies, and never sell to anyone else. So could it even be considered moonlighting?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1089 on: April 19, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »
Thanks to this thread I am now familiar with the brand Luluroe (or however it is spelled). I was searching on ThredUp recently and came across a bunch of their leggings. Hot damn, they are shockingly ugly. I’d be willing to give them a try at $9 each if they came in solid black or dark gray. Shocking colors in strange, large  patterns? Do people really wear this stuff?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1090 on: April 19, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »
Do people really wear this stuff?
They do, and it's horrible! Unless you are 7 years old, I really don't recommend walking around in leggings with snowmen on your butt.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1091 on: April 19, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
Thanks to this thread I am now familiar with the brand Luluroe (or however it is spelled). I was searching on ThredUp recently and came across a bunch of their leggings. Hot damn, they are shockingly ugly. I’d be willing to give them a try at $9 each if they came in solid black or dark gray. Shocking colors in strange, large  patterns? Do people really wear this stuff?

Very popular in Iowa.

I wear them* when pregnant, and hope people excuse the ridiculous pattern due to the gigantic belly that won't fit into anything else. 

*But only because people gave them to me for free. I'm a big fan of free :)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1092 on: April 19, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »

Very popular in Iowa.

I wear them* when pregnant, and hope people excuse the ridiculous pattern due to the gigantic belly that won't fit into anything else. 

This begs the question, do you wear them often ;)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1093 on: April 19, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »

Very popular in Iowa.

In real life I almost never wear patterns.
In pregnancy I do because, like you, I am a big fan of free.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1094 on: April 19, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »

Very popular in Iowa.

This begs the question, do you wear them often ;)

Pretty much every day in my third trimester when I get home from work, and every weekend.  So I spend a lot of time running around in god-awful pants, because they are SO much more comfortable on the stomach than any maternity panel.  And I'm not buying maternity leggings.

I also gave away the 3 pairs I had last pregnancy, and then got 4 new (free) pairs this pregnancy.

So really, despite the fact that I still see LLR all over the mall and grocery store, people are giving this stuff away by the truck load.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1095 on: April 19, 2019, 02:32:18 PM »
Maybe that explains why there are a bazillion pairs for sale on ThredUP for $9.

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1096 on: April 19, 2019, 05:00:47 PM »
This turned up on my news feed today:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/withoutacrystalball/2019/04/young-living-accused-of-running-illegal-pyramid-scheme-in-new-lawsuit

Spend $100 for a starter kit and $100 a month to earn commissions of $25 a year.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1097 on: May 15, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »

Wow- that's insane. I wonder if it is enforceable. Lots of people are "discount only" in companies, and never sell to anyone else. So could it even be considered moonlighting?

I think it's quite a good rule! Years ago I had a MANAGER who invited us all to her "Southern Living" party. We all felt obliged to go and to buy something. I thought at the time it was really quite horrible, but this was just after the Great Recession of 2008 (my net worth hadn't exactly gone negative but took a serious hit) and none of us were willing to risk losing favor with the boss.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1098 on: May 21, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
Didn't know this thread existed until now.

My full post is here -- https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/family-friend-falling-hard-for-mlm-(herbalife)-but-is-it-actually-profitable/

Basically, family friend and her husband have been sucked hard into Herbalife.  In fact, both quit their day jobs (as nurse and an insurance salesman) to open a "nutrition club." Funny enough, my law office is maybe 200 feet away from this club, and I know their rent has to be $1,000+ per month. Add in other costs and I have no idea how this can be profitable.

They are so all in it's scary. Their social media is absolutely outrageous -- she cries almost daily in Instagram stories talking about how much the Herbalife "community" means to her and how she cannot wait to bring "good vibes" to our hometown.

As my post suggested, part of me wonders if, maybe, they are the one percent? I can see one SAHP getting involved in this, but for both people to quit decent paying professional jobs and open up a store, maybe they are doing well? Can they possibly be making $10,000 a month?

So, so confused.

sideHustler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1099 on: May 21, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
Didn't know this thread existed until now.

My full post is here -- https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/family-friend-falling-hard-for-mlm-(herbalife)-but-is-it-actually-profitable/

Basically, family friend and her husband have been sucked hard into Herbalife.  In fact, both quit their day jobs (as nurse and an insurance salesman) to open a "nutrition club." Funny enough, my law office is maybe 200 feet away from this club, and I know their rent has to be $1,000+ per month. Add in other costs and I have no idea how this can be profitable.

They are so all in it's scary. Their social media is absolutely outrageous -- she cries almost daily in Instagram stories talking about how much the Herbalife "community" means to her and how she cannot wait to bring "good vibes" to our hometown.

As my post suggested, part of me wonders if, maybe, they are the one percent? I can see one SAHP getting involved in this, but for both people to quit decent paying professional jobs and open up a store, maybe they are doing well? Can they possibly be making $10,000 a month?

So, so confused.

The vast majority of MLM bottom feeders don't make nearly that much. I feel sad for them.