Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639423 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
Oh lord, now the friend who sells essential oils is hosting a party for the friend who sells 31 Bags. It just keeps morphing and expanding.

Cross-pollinating MLMs. Is there a pill for that? Or an insecticide?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #851 on: May 16, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »
I recently had a friend that messaged me on Facebook a month or so ago.

I posted on my page asking for friends to tell me their travel hacks and any websites/apps they used to find cheap tickets. I got a decent amount of responses, many of which were helpful, and a message from this friend who said something along the lines of, "Sounds like you are traveling a ton, do you have time to meet recently or are you too busy?"

Polite I responded that even if I am busy I am happy to make time for a friend if they tell me what they want to meet about (essentially are you wanting to catch up or is there something urgent), and he responded by asking if I could meet at various times. To which I responded, "Sorry I'm busy," after going to his page and seeing a bunch of Beachbody stuff.

Dude just be honest and tell me that it is a sales pitch. I would have been massively pissed if he managed to con me into a meeting only to discuss Shakesology or some other nonsense.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #852 on: May 16, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »
OMG...the "Hey girl...did you have a chance to check out...?"

I know it's a cliche...but do they have to do it?

Hey girl...I'm 47 effing years old.

Anyway, hey Beachbody has a new eating plan out, dontcha know?  I love reading about diet and fitness, and buying cookbooks and food plan books and such...it's kinda a hobby of mine.  But I want to answer:

"hey girl, I'm kinda busy.  Husband traveling, kid baseball playoffs, running a half marathon this weekend, big work projects...not happening any time soon." 

And "well, for now I kinda have it all figured out, ya know?  I'm at a healthy weight, don't need to lose any, what I'm doing is working...not sure a $75 'plan' with videos and such and '4 new tricks' is really what I need".

Plus I'm a dinosaur and I HATE videos.  Hate them.  I want to read a book.

OMG you sound exactly like me! I mean, I'm not at the healthy weight yet, but I'm getting there. Just sub out baseball for soccer and put the half marathon in 2.5 weeks. :) If you have any food plan for fitness books you could recommend as I'm getting more serious about it, would you mind sharing what they are? I'd rather read a book than a video too...I HATE videos and thought I was the only one who felt that way!

A slight acquaintance who absolutely does NOT know me is trying to push this new Beachbody eating plan. I got an email from her recently with that EXACT intro: Hey girl, have you had a chance to check out..." so this is absolutely hysterical to me (and a little sad...well, maybe a lot sad). I turn 40 this year and have three kids, and work as an engineer. I don't wear makeup or go out. There is exactly ONE person who can say "hey girl" to me and it won't make me crazy, and it is NOT random beachbody person I don't know...

@FireHiker  Ah ha ha ha I am also an engineer.  Great minds.

So, what worked well for me to lose the "I had a baby at 42" weight was actually the Beachbody program 21-day fix.  Color coded containers, and honestly, all the info is available on line these days if you dig for it.  Here's why it worked for me:

- 2 servings of carbs a day (1/2 cup of rice, 1 slice of toast, 1/2 cup of beans - these are a carb).  Prior to 21-day fix, I was still trying to stick to 6 servings in the food pyramid
- "What to Eat" by Luise Light.  You see, 21-day fix worked, but only a little bit.  Because I was resistant to only 2 carbs a day.  Four months in, I read this book, and it clicked with me that I couldn't eat all. the. carbs.  I found her book through "Death by Food Pyramid" by Denise Minger.
- I didn't really know how to eat food without carbs.  Cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, pasta for dinner.  So...I bought (for $1) a book by Chris Powell on carb-cycling (E-book on Amazon).  The low carb days literally have one serving of carbs for breakfast.  I did this for about a month, and the book helped me figure out what the heck to eat without carbs (seems silly that I needed it, but whatever).
- After that, it was easier.

Once I hit goal weight, I adjusted things a bit because 21-day fix just had too much protein for me.  I shifted towards a bit more carbs (2-4 servings a day, and now I count beans as a protein), and more fat. 

Then last year I started having problems with wheat (digestive) and when I eliminated it I lost 8 lbs unintentionally (I didn't cut carbs or calories, just subbed different ones).

In any event, a little recon tells me that my regular eating plan is almost identical to this new Beachbody program.  Ha! I eat plenty of fat

Breakfast:
- A carb and a protein with fat (oatmeal w/ peanut butter and banana.  Eggs and tortillas.  GF toast with cheese.  Yogurt and fruit with granola)

Snack
- fruit and nuts

Lunch:
- salad.  Always salad.  Lots of veggies and greens (3-4 cups).  Olive oil based dressing and I don't skimp on it. Cheese (1/2 to 1 oz).  Olives.  2 Tbsp of sunflower seeds.  Sometimes additional protein but not necessary.

Dinner:
- a protein, a carb and vegetables.  1/4 of the plate protein (beans count) - about 1/2 cup.  1/4 of the plate carb.  At least a cup of veggies, usually with plenty of olive oil or tahini or avocado or cheese.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #853 on: May 16, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
@mm1970, thanks!! I've been focusing so much on the fitness end of things training for a half marathon and a big hike (Mt Whitney) in July that I've just been eating whatever I want. The weight is still coming off, just MUCH slower than it would be if I paid more attention to the diet side of things. Diet is 80% of it after all, and I bet if I could drop 20-30 pounds my times would get faster too. I'm going to check if my library has those books you mentioned. It's so funny to me that the sensible eating approach is what BeachBody is packaging as a "new" plan. Call it something new and charge a bunch of money, and people will go for it I guess.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #854 on: May 16, 2018, 07:36:49 PM »
@mm1970, thanks!! I've been focusing so much on the fitness end of things training for a half marathon and a big hike (Mt Whitney) in July that I've just been eating whatever I want. The weight is still coming off, just MUCH slower than it would be if I paid more attention to the diet side of things. Diet is 80% of it after all, and I bet if I could drop 20-30 pounds my times would get faster too. I'm going to check if my library has those books you mentioned. It's so funny to me that the sensible eating approach is what BeachBody is packaging as a "new" plan. Call it something new and charge a bunch of money, and people will go for it I guess.

I think it's just funny because it took a long awhile, but I got there on my own.  It also seems a lot like "Volumetrics".

I think it can be very helpful and useful for people who eat a lot of carbs and are resistant to cutting them.  Until I read a bunch of books, I literally could not figure out how to eat a meal without them.  Now, protein, fat, and veggies is normal to me.

Also, I wouldn't try too hard to drop weight while training for a half marathon or to do Whitney either.  I ran a half last year that was basically all uphill with a 4000 ft elevation gain.  I ate whatever I wanted!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:49:35 PM by mm1970 »

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:48 PM »
I recently had a friend that messaged me on Facebook a month or so ago.

I posted on my page asking for friends to tell me their travel hacks and any websites/apps they used to find cheap tickets. I got a decent amount of responses, many of which were helpful, and a message from this friend who said something along the lines of, "Sounds like you are traveling a ton, do you have time to meet recently or are you too busy?"

Polite I responded that even if I am busy I am happy to make time for a friend if they tell me what they want to meet about (essentially are you wanting to catch up or is there something urgent), and he responded by asking if I could meet at various times. To which I responded, "Sorry I'm busy," after going to his page and seeing a bunch of Beachbody stuff.

Dude just be honest and tell me that it is a sales pitch. I would have been massively pissed if he managed to con me into a meeting only to discuss Shakesology or some other nonsense.

I know there's an insurance MLM, I wonder if they do travel insurance?  That, or maybe he's into oils or something "to keep you from getting sick on the plane, or to help you adjust to jet lag, or...!"

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #856 on: May 17, 2018, 09:20:30 AM »
There's an insurance MLM?????? As an insurance professional I am DEEPLY DEEPLY interested in this. How could you possibly MLM insurance? Maybe it's BS whole life?

If you have more details, please send them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #857 on: May 17, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
There's an insurance MLM?????? As an insurance professional I am DEEPLY DEEPLY interested in this. How could you possibly MLM insurance? Maybe it's BS whole life?

Found this" Primerica employs, according to their prospectus, over 100,000 representatives who go out and sell financial products like term life insurance, mutual funds, life insurance, and annuities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primerica

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #858 on: May 17, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »
Indeed, my biggest relationship with MLM's is through Primerica (an Uncle and his whole family). They sell insurance and incredibly horrible mutual funds (4% MER's with deferred sales charges all through them that are swapped over every 2 years it seems to a new one).

It has recently started serious turmoil with their immediate family as they're all approaching retirement age. They have obviously gotten nowhere with the amount of churning and management fees they've been paying. I'm pretty shocked it's not an actual criminal offense to take people's money like that.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #859 on: May 17, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »

Found this" Primerica employs, according to their prospectus, over 100,000 representatives who go out and sell financial products like term life insurance, mutual funds, life insurance, and annuities."

In Canada (and presumably US) there is also World Financial Group. They want you to be their client, but especially to then sign up to work for them in order to bring in all your contacts. I don't know all the details but I believe WFG owns the clients (or your team leader or whatever). So if you leave, they don't care- more clients for them.

A lot of money is made by having people under you. I think they sell a lot of whole life, while Primerica has focused on term.

(Also an independent insurance professional.)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: May 17, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »

In Canada (and presumably US) there is also World Financial Group. They want you to be their client, but especially to then sign up to work for them in order to bring in all your contacts. I don't know all the details but I believe WFG owns the clients (or your team leader or whatever). So if you leave, they don't care- more clients for them.

A lot of money is made by having people under you. I think they sell a lot of whole life, while Primerica has focused on term.

A good friend of mine got caught up in this. She ended up losing over $2k in seminars, fees and licensing.

Complete waste.

My cousin and her husband do this. 'Changed their life' apparently.

Before I knew anything about anything I went with them to a couple WFG related events/meetings. My spidey senses were on overdrive the whole time.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #861 on: May 17, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »

Yes, I did a deep dive into this business for a acquaintance who was pitched it.

The end result is that if you have a strong network and want to cold call to a LOT of people, and don't mind selling over priced financial products to people you like, you can make money, even if you don't have any financial certification / training before you start.  (they train you and get you certified for selling the basic items in the first six months.).

My acquaintance was an immigrant with a working visa, and new to Canada.   So this, for the right person, can lead into more $$ than working at burger king.  BUT, you need to have a network, be personable and smart, and put in a LOT of calling / cold calling.

The products were shitty for the people buying them, however.  They had even sold group educational plans "Heritage Plan" Education trusts, which we know were very costly to the purchasers and profitable to the sales people.

At the end of 2 years, the rational person in this company would leave WFG and get hired with Edward Jones or another mutual fund group to make more (2-5x more) money, but those other big guys are not going to hire a new immigrant with no financial experience.

The "closed door and you can't leave the room" intro and educational sessions for the new hires are set up like AMWAY, and they charge you for them, too.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #862 on: May 17, 2018, 02:01:41 PM »
Oh man- I didn't realize primerica was the crap that we had to listen to when I did my pre-cana before my wedding in 2004.  (I just remembered a red umbrella.)
They wanted us to give 5 names of friends who could also use financial advise.  But their advise was so ridiculous we declined.

I can't remember what funds and budget they set up for us, but when i was asked a dream car, I said a Prius. The guy said he didn't know how much a Prius costs, so he estimated $70k as that was about the same as the Boxster my husband answered with. (Also- my husband has no intention of ever actually purchasing one of those).

The internet was around in 2004. He could have figured out the price of a prius. So we steered very very clear. I'm glad we did.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #863 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
slightly OT but what are the ethics of buying an MLM product off ebay? I really like some Mary Kay products, but don't want to get spammed by a consultant. I noticed that former consultants are offloading their products on ebay for less than retail. On one hand, I want a good deal on a product I like, on the other I feel slimy for taking advantage of their misfortune.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #864 on: May 17, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »
slightly OT but what are the ethics of buying an MLM product off ebay? I really like some Mary Kay products, but don't want to get spammed by a consultant. I noticed that former consultants are offloading their products on ebay for less than retail. On one hand, I want a good deal on a product I like, on the other I feel slimy for taking advantage of their misfortune.

I would think of it as being an agent of Karma. Besides, if the MLM dealer feels like she's in danger of being ripped off, all she needs to do is to set a reserve price below which she will not sell the product. You may actually be helping her out by making it possible to get some of her money out of the pyramid scheme, since by the time she starts offloading her makeup stash she'll generally have wised up about Mary Kay.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #865 on: May 17, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it. Or even buying direct from your friend if you like the product. The slimy thing about MLMs is the pyramid scheme nature of it and the often shoddy untested products, but there's nothing inherently evil about buying the product from your friend if you like it. Besides, buying off of people who are unloading and getting out is actually doing them a favor. You're helping them recoup some of their losses instead of having to take a dead loss.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #866 on: May 17, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »

They're the ones putting their inventory on E-Bay as a last ditch attempt to get something back for failing at the business.  Aren't you doing them a disservice by not buying it?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: May 18, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »

Yes, I did a deep dive into this business for a acquaintance who was pitched it.

The end result is that if you have a strong network and want to cold call to a LOT of people, and don't mind selling over priced financial products to people you like, you can make money, even if you don't have any financial certification / training before you start.  (they train you and get you certified for selling the basic items in the first six months.).

My acquaintance was an immigrant with a working visa, and new to Canada.   So this, for the right person, can lead into more $$ than working at burger king.  BUT, you need to have a network, be personable and smart, and put in a LOT of calling / cold calling.

The products were shitty for the people buying them, however.  They had even sold group educational plans "Heritage Plan" Education trusts, which we know were very costly to the purchasers and profitable to the sales people.

At the end of 2 years, the rational person in this company would leave WFG and get hired with Edward Jones or another mutual fund group to make more (2-5x more) money, but those other big guys are not going to hire a new immigrant with no financial experience.

The "closed door and you can't leave the room" intro and educational sessions for the new hires are set up like AMWAY, and they charge you for them, too.

Thanks everyone. This is mind boggling. In case it needs to be said, don't buy insurance from someone unless you know what they're making on it and it seems reasonable.

Oh man- I didn't realize primerica was the crap that we had to listen to when I did my pre-cana before my wedding in 2004.  (I just remembered a red umbrella.)
They wanted us to give 5 names of friends who could also use financial advise.  But their advise was so ridiculous we declined.

I can't remember what funds and budget they set up for us, but when i was asked a dream car, I said a Prius. The guy said he didn't know how much a Prius costs, so he estimated $70k as that was about the same as the Boxster my husband answered with. (Also- my husband has no intention of ever actually purchasing one of those).

The internet was around in 2004. He could have figured out the price of a prius. So we steered very very clear. I'm glad we did.

This is somewhat confusing because, in the insurance world, a red umbrella usually means Travelers, but they do property/casualty and not any MLM or financial advisor stuff. Unless your wedding was in the 1995-2005 time frame when Citi owned the red umbrella. But still, Citi is a reputable financial services company for the most part.

ETA: Now I get it; Primerica is a spin-off of Citi, so they probably did use the red umbrella when Citi owned it and they were part of Citi. I was thinking of some other reasons in my qualifier on Citi's reputation; I guess I can add this to the list.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:49:15 AM by merula »

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #868 on: May 18, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »
I caught up with some friends yesterday.  One of them started talking about ASEA and how she wants to make a "business" out of it. I kept quiet as the warning bells were going off. Googled later. Yep MLM. Once the conversation turned, I asked how her studies were going. If she brings it up again, I have come up with some scripts to say.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #869 on: May 21, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
Over on reddit someone was talking about several people who approached them with "a couple I know who retired in their 30s took me under their wing and showed me how". So apparently they're trying to co-opt FIRE now. Can't roll my eyes hard enough.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #870 on: May 22, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
I'm amazed at the crap people put/lather on their faces in search of "beauty".

If you need a reminder watch YouTube. There are people there who are unrecognizable once they are all dolled up.

I have unfortunately seen a few. I kind of feel bad for the women.

https://youtu.be/USTvFDum8po

Me too.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #871 on: May 22, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
They had even sold group educational plans "Heritage Plan" Education trusts, which we know were very costly to the purchasers and profitable to the sales people.

I can't stand companies (and politicians) that twist and corrupt words like that. Examples: freedom when their real intentions are to make rules that apply to you and me but not so much to them and their's.

Anymore these are words that make my internal warning bells sound.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: May 22, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
Also, I wouldn't try too hard to drop weight while training for a half marathon or to do Whitney either.  I ran a half last year that was basically all uphill with a 4000 ft elevation gain.  I ate whatever I wanted!

Damn, 4000 ft elevation gain? Where was that? I am definitely not worrying much about the diet end of things too much at this point, and I've still dropped a clothing size.

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #873 on: May 22, 2018, 04:44:28 PM »
I can empathize with people who get into an MLM hoping to eke out some extra income. My mom sold Tupperware for a few years as a second job when my dad was laid off of his regular job and was doing anything to pay the mortgage. She made some money but you couldn't look at it based on hourly wage because trading time for $ was a no-brainer, no matter how little the $. Every dollar was important.

It's harder to understand professionals doing it. I have a co-worker who is a department head making good money yet peddles some kind of aromatherapy junk. I suspect it's more about someone who loves the products and signs up to be a reseller in order to get their own stuff cheaper.  I see that she puts the flyers in the copier room but I've never heard her talk about it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #874 on: May 22, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »

Damn, 4000 ft elevation gain? Where was that? I am definitely not worrying much about the diet end of things too much at this point, and I've still dropped a clothing size.

https://www.halfmarathons.net/course-map-pier-to-peak-half-marathon/

It was...an experience.  It was 75F at the start, 85F by mile 4, and 95F by the half way point.  It was brutal.  Ugh.  I finished anyway, and a whole 10 minutes before they started dismantling the finish line.  I melt in the heat.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #875 on: May 23, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »
Wow, that's brutal. I could run it in the opposite direction. ;) My brother lives in Ventura and does ultras; I wonder if he's ever run that route for training. It looks right up his alley. I hate running in the heat; it's my big weakness that I guess I'll be addressing this summer as it warms up.

To get back on track: Another facebook friend request from someone I don't know that I think MAY be another MLM person based on the common friends...sigh.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #876 on: May 23, 2018, 07:23:30 PM »
I have FB, but it's pretty tame and boring.  I have "hidden" enough political and MLM type posts that I don't really see them anymore.  I have a few hobby pages I follow (quilting, cooking, frugal living) but mostly have it to kill some time and keep in touch with a handful of friends. 

I found two anti-MLM groups and decided to join them.  My feed has become much more entertaining the last few days.  It's also made me thankful that I haven't been exposed to much in the way of MLM marketing.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #877 on: May 24, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
**APPROVED SCENTSY VENDOR**

You: I’m broke.
Me: Join my team 💰
You: I’m always at work.
Me: Join my team.👔
You: I hate putting my kids in care.
Me: Join my team👶👨👩👧👦
You: I hate my job.
Me; Join my team.💁
You: I need a paid holiday.
Me: Join my team.☀️✈️
You: I'd like to meet more people.
Me: Join my team👭👫👭👫
You: I want lifestyle freedom.
Me: Join my team🙌🙌
You: I want to change lives.
Me: Join my team😍
$99 is changing my life..
All the reasons you have why you can't do this,
should be your reasons why you will.
Spare time, Part time, Full time, make more "you" time, design the life you want to live.
Don't work to build someone else's dream 👨👩👧👦 PM me, let's chat, no commitment! A fresh start!! 💜💜

Want to hear about my special too?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #878 on: May 25, 2018, 10:58:45 PM »
Has this been posted (honestly don't remember seeing it, but haven't reviewed the whole thread)?

I haven't finished it, but an interesting read so far.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/trade-regulation-rule-disclosure-requirements-and-prohibitions-concerning-business-opportunities-ftc.r511993-00008%C2%A0/00008-57281.pdf

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #879 on: May 30, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
Has this been posted (honestly don't remember seeing it, but haven't reviewed the whole thread)?

I haven't finished it, but an interesting read so far.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/trade-regulation-rule-disclosure-requirements-and-prohibitions-concerning-business-opportunities-ftc.r511993-00008%C2%A0/00008-57281.pdf

Only read the first few pages so far, but this would be a great response to any MLM request you get on Facebook. Might come off a little rude if you're really friends with someone but for all those, "Hey girl, it's been so long." types - copy, paste, send.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #880 on: May 30, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
OMG...the "Hey girl...did you have a chance to check out...?"

I know it's a cliche...but do they have to do it?

Hey girl...I'm 47 effing years old.

Anyway, hey Beachbody has a new eating plan out, dontcha know?  I love reading about diet and fitness, and buying cookbooks and food plan books and such...it's kinda a hobby of mine.  But I want to answer:

"hey girl, I'm kinda busy.  Husband traveling, kid baseball playoffs, running a half marathon this weekend, big work projects...not happening any time soon." 

And "well, for now I kinda have it all figured out, ya know?  I'm at a healthy weight, don't need to lose any, what I'm doing is working...not sure a $75 'plan' with videos and such and '4 new tricks' is really what I need".

Plus I'm a dinosaur and I HATE videos.  Hate them.  I want to read a book.

OMG you sound exactly like me! I mean, I'm not at the healthy weight yet, but I'm getting there. Just sub out baseball for soccer and put the half marathon in 2.5 weeks. :) If you have any food plan for fitness books you could recommend as I'm getting more serious about it, would you mind sharing what they are? I'd rather read a book than a video too...I HATE videos and thought I was the only one who felt that way!

A slight acquaintance who absolutely does NOT know me is trying to push this new Beachbody eating plan. I got an email from her recently with that EXACT intro: Hey girl, have you had a chance to check out..." so this is absolutely hysterical to me (and a little sad...well, maybe a lot sad). I turn 40 this year and have three kids, and work as an engineer. I don't wear makeup or go out. There is exactly ONE person who can say "hey girl" to me and it won't make me crazy, and it is NOT random beachbody person I don't know...

Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.  I think he has written a second book but I don't have that one.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #881 on: June 02, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
My aunt, who is a teacher, shared this post of her friend's:

To all my teacher friends!!! Do you want to know how you can put your background to work during the summer months and earn an INCOME that will pay all YEAR🤗🙌🏼👊🏼😁 

Please join me on June 3rd to listen to 4 different teachers talk about how they took control of their health and their finances by inspiring healthy living! Message me for an invite🙌🏼👊🏼😁

I thought, this screams MLM. Yup, Juice Plus. I scrolled through her feed and about 98% of her posts were about it, including using photos of her kids to promote it.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #882 on: June 15, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
Oh man, I thought my aunt's repost of the Juice Plus thing was just that, and that maybe she didn't realize it... but she's been sucked in since last Fall! I guess I don't see her posts often because I hadn't realized.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: June 19, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »
Damn.  One of my cousins started messaging me on FB.  She's my age and has some of the same interests, but we're not super close, so I was like "oh, maybe we'll get to know each other better, that'd be cool," but no, she just ended her most recent message with "Hey, have you heard of the magic pill?" 

So disappointing :(

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #884 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »
It is so disappointing. A friend who i have not seen in a while, texts me last week wanting to know if want to hang out this Thursday. I say  "Yeah, that sounds awesome." She then replies she is having "a couple of people over" to talk about Arbonne. Dang, how do I get out of it now??

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »
It is so disappointing. A friend who i have not seen in a while, texts me last week wanting to know if want to hang out this Thursday. I say  "Yeah, that sounds awesome." She then replies she is having "a couple of people over" to talk about Arbonne. Dang, how do I get out of it now??

"Sorry, I'm not interested in Arbonne. If you ever want to just hang out sometime, that would be awesome."

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #886 on: August 21, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/herbalife-distributors-claim-in-dollar1b-suit-that-events-were-a-sham/ar-BBMdWtk?OCID=ansmsnnews11

"MLM distributors shocked to discover their MLM is exactly like every other MLM their annoying friends warned them about."

Fixed it for you.

Herbalife's website says it has about 8,300 employees worldwide and about 2.3 million distributors.

Los Angeles-based Herbalife, a publicly traded company with 2017 net sales of $4.4 billion

Herbalife has a profit margin of 80%.  So my public school math tells me that 2.3 million people grossed $5.28 billion which means each distributor averages $2300 a year in sales.  Somehow I don't think the distributors are seeing even that much staying in their pockets at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:26:52 PM by Travis »

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: September 09, 2018, 07:07:09 AM »
Apparently there really is a MLM for everything.... Saw some information online about a CBD Oil MLM.  I guess depending on your state you could become one of those big money success stories.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #888 on: September 10, 2018, 01:46:35 PM »
There's a relatively new one for bedding now too!  Of course, it's incredibly overpriced, and I'm not sure how many people buy sheets that often to even warrant this model.  Then again, there's the MLM that sells toilet paper, and I wouldn't waste my money on the overpriced auto ship feature either.  Or the MLM that sells Maxi Pads, and is often shilled by men?  Don't want to know what that's about!

I think the newest one to market is called Crunchi, and they sell "chemical free" makeup.  My guess is they are trying to appeal to so-called "crunchy" or "Granola" women.

It's like these people have never heard of Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, Sephora, etc...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #889 on: September 10, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »
I saw a facebook post today where someone called MLM's a pyramid scheme, and the huns came out defending this "completely legal, legitimate form of business".  And mentioned they are even "endorsed by Warren Buffett".

Uh, not quite. Warren Buffett owns, through Berkshire, major stakes in multiple MLMs (Pampered Chef being the most well known one)- but I don't recall him ever saying being a distributor for them is a good idea.   Because those distributors, who think they are their own CEO, but are NOT- are making him, and the people at the top at ton of money. Now if someone can find him going on the record that selling for these companies vs. owning them is a good idea. Well, then I'd be pretty darn shocked.

The business is endorsed by Warren Buffett, not using one of these to "own your own business".  Because he sure as heck isn't doing that.
If you can buy up a successful MLM, go for it. But don't buy-in down at the bottom.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #890 on: September 11, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
They also try to pretend they don't know what you mean by MLM, b/c it's Direct Sales, not MLM!

My favorite posts are the ones where they tell you that working in an office is also a pyramid scheme, or the ones where they feel the need to validate that their business is indeed legal, and not a pyramid scheme.  Umm, if you have to defend your company to that level, shouldn't that be a clue?

My money is on LuLaRoe failing next.  TONS of red flags. 

Multiple lawsuits, class action and non, evidence coming out about how they gave the better prints to preferred consultants, so it was never a level playing field

Quality Control is nonexistent, as evidenced by the dresses with the uneven armholes and the V neck tees missing a topstitch, so after a wash, they will look like crap

Defective product returns are being forced to take credit instead of refunds

Tons of consultants waiting months to get their refund checks for returning their inventory when they give up and go out of business 

At least 20% of the Top 100 consultants have announced they are leaving and opening their own online boutiques in the past month or so 

Their designer was either fired or resigned last week, my money is on fired 

There are rumors floating that one of the liquidation firms has admitted that they are getting their product directly from LLR, and then turning around and selling it for cheap to discount stores. (way cheaper than consultants pay for it)

Multiple new product launches were canceled last minute, Halloween leggings will not be released this year (this is their best seller), and consultants who are still ordering directly from them are getting product that is old, as evidenced by their labels and well known crappy patterns.  All this is likely due to the tons of return product from consultants that they are trying to clear out, and that they are low on cash so they cannot afford to get new product.

My guess is they are in bankruptcy by early 2019!

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #891 on: September 11, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
They also try to pretend they don't know what you mean by MLM, b/c it's Direct Sales, not MLM!

My favorite posts are the ones where they tell you that working in an office is also a pyramid scheme, or the ones where they feel the need to validate that their business is indeed legal, and not a pyramid scheme.  Umm, if you have to defend your company to that level, shouldn't that be a clue?

Multiple lawsuits, class action and non, evidence coming out about how they gave the better prints to preferred consultants, so it was never a level playing field

Quality Control is nonexistent, as evidenced by the dresses with the uneven armholes and the V neck tees missing a topstitch, so after a wash, they will look like crap

Tons of consultants waiting months to get their refund checks for returning their inventory when they give up and go out of business 

At least 20% of the Top 100 consultants have announced they are leaving and opening their own online boutiques in the past month or so 

There are rumors floating that one of the liquidation firms has admitted that they are getting their product directly from LLR, and then turning around and selling it for cheap to discount stores. (way cheaper than consultants pay for it)

Multiple new product launches were canceled last minute, Halloween leggings will not be released this year (this is their best seller), and consultants who are still ordering directly from them are getting product that is old, as evidenced by their labels and well known crappy patterns.  All this is likely due to the tons of return product from consultants that they are trying to clear out, and that they are low on cash so they cannot afford to get new product.

You forgot the part about their product being hideous and people finally realizing that screaming obnoxious patterns don't look good on most women. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:27:30 PM by MountainFlower »

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #892 on: September 11, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
@MountainFlower you are SOO correct on that!  I never understood how or why ugly, baggy, cheap clothing ever became a thing...

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #893 on: September 11, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »
But, for only $55, you too can have an ugly dress with horribly uneven arm holes!!

I'm in an anti-MLM facebook group, and screen shots have been posted from distributors about how to hide the armholes when posting photos so that customers will not realize the "mistake" (can't think of what word to use there).

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #894 on: September 13, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
@sparkytheop - I'm in the same group.  Quite the sh*t Show!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #895 on: September 13, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
Ugh. A friend with a PhD in medicinal chemistry is selling DoTerra now. If you like the smell of EOs at least get them somewhere online for half the cost.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #896 on: September 13, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
@sparkytheop - I'm in the same group.  Quite the sh*t Show!

I'm constantly amazed!  I've managed to keep most stuff like this off my own feed (only a few friends are "girl bosses").  But, I love to watch the train wrecks...

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #897 on: September 16, 2018, 12:55:02 AM »

You forgot the part about their product being hideous and people finally realizing that screaming obnoxious patterns don't look good on most women.

Meh.  I'm kind of a fan of screaming obnoxious patterns, and I'm not especially concerned if someone else things they are ugly.  That doesn't mean I'm going to pay $40 for them, or whatever LLR charges. 

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #898 on: September 17, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »

Friend at work was wearing a LLR design which actually looked OK on her and I asked her about it.  She mentioned LLR and all sounded good until she mentioned having to meet a "retailer" aka consultant in order to buy which raised the MLM flag with me and I never followed up.

And the patterns are too bold for most women IMHO and certainly for me.  My friend was wearing one of the "tamer" designs.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #899 on: September 17, 2018, 12:49:08 PM »
I had to laugh - my cousin has started selling Scentsy and yesterday she made a post on facebook that was obviously a copy and paste sales tactic given to her by someone else. It started out ok "Everyone who knows me or who has seen my bathroom counter knows I'm obsessed with scents.." but later on there were parts that said <insert scent here> and she left it like that! I busted out laughing. If you are going to copy and paste a company-provided facebook post, at least read through it and follow the directions first!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!