Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639050 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »
I always attend these parties. You often get a free gift just for attending, not to mention a few wines and a bit of chit chat. If I really want something, I host a party myself and get it for free. Never spent a dime of anything myself.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
SIL seems to have moved passed MLM and onto selling crafts. So, only about $1k in machines and supplies, and no cult like testimonials, so far.

One of my friends is doing this, but she got everything second hand for about $200 and managed to sell her first couple projects for about $100.  Thankfully she's under no illusions about this being anything but a hobby that sometimes makes money (it's quite time consuming).

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I have the same problem. Since I am a stay at home mom, a lot of other women see me as an easy target for MLM. They can't imagine why I don't work a home-based business. About 60% of other moms I know are in MLM. No joke.

I also am a member of "mothers of multiples" and I found out most of the moms join just to have access to a wider network of women to prey on, to pitch their business to. Sadly, I joined just to make friends. :(

I had to block one woman from facebook, email and my phone number. She harassed me via all three. When I told her nicely that I wasn't interested she said "there's no need for you to be so mean about it". I was nice, but I didn't sugar coat it too much or my meaning would have been lost.

They don't even want to sell products, and in fact, many will get upset if you only act interested in buying a cosmetic item or piece of jewelry. Their end goal is to recruit. That is where the big money is made.  I tend to feel uncomfortable around people who want access to my bank account, credit card, etc.

I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why.  One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you?  Also, most MLMs become a saturated market after several years. Mary Kay is a good example of a saturated market.

The free car is a lie. It is a leased car with an option to buy. The person can only drive the car as long as they maintain their sales at a certain level. If their sales drop, they have to give the car back. Of course, they can always buy it. With their own money.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:51:09 PM by Chesleygirl »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
I always attend these parties. You often get a free gift just for attending, not to mention a few wines and a bit of chit chat. If I really want something, I host a party myself and get it for free. Never spent a dime of anything myself.

You're lucky. I've never gotten the free gift that was offered, they seem to forget about it. And they don't serve food at these parties. I guess that would cut into their overhead costs too much, to buy a bag of chips and a case of beer.

But if you're getting wine, you're doing good!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I have the same problem. Since I am a stay at home mom, a lot of other women see me as an easy target for MLM. They can't imagine why I don't work a home-based business. About 60% of other moms I know are in MLM. No joke.

That doesn't suprise me. I have a friend that recently became a SAHM and mentioned how it seems like all of her friends are involved in a MLM.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »

That doesn't suprise me. I have a friend that recently became a SAHM and mentioned how it seems like all of her friends are involved in a MLM.

Yes. They're all involved in MLM.  Some have more education than I do, and have worked in more professional careers than I have. So I wonder why they don't recognize the pyramid structure of these businesses, and understand economic terms like "saturated market".  If I look around and see everyone on my block is opening up a lemonade stand on their front lawn, I wouldn't open one up too. Common sense would tell me that the competition is too fierce already.

I am not the brightest cookie out there but I've never gotten involved in MLM.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Overheard on my LinkedIn page. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Facebook thread due to the content.

Who wants a job making $75k a year?

Be careful how the income is calculated, here's what that actually means:
-$75k salary position working 50-75 hours per week (sometimes more)
-Equals $30/hour
-$15k in taxes, $60k take home, $5k per month
-$2000 rent/mortgage
-$400 car payment
-$250 auto insurance
-$320 health insurance
-$500 meals/entertainment
-$500 utilities & internet
-$300 gas and maintenance
-$120 cell phone

$568 left over to cover anything from credit card debt, student loans, medical expenses, child expenses, or this thing called retirement savings...
Are you living paycheck to paycheck, or can you skip a paycheck and be okay for the next 3-6 months? More than 80% of Americans don't have an extra $500 at the end of the month, are you one of them?

Congratulations! You're surviving...barely.

Why not find a way to do something one time and get paid month after month? Of course it will start small, but consistently your income will grow for the future; or did someone tell you that you can get rich overnight?

The writer of that is a senior officer of a MLM company that sells residential and business services such as phone/internet/security/payment processing.  I didn't even realize he was pitching an MLM until I looked him up and found him and his company on Youtube.  183 comments on that LinkedIn posting and they're evenly split between: dude, your cost of living numbers make no sense, What are you selling?, and What's your point?  Only a handful took the bait and talked about how life sucks and you can't get ahead.  The Youtube video is him accepting a regional vice president promotion at a massive conference and the whole production (especially his acceptance speech) looks just like your normal MLM commercial. From that video I went to his company's Youtube channel and right there in front they have a disclaimer that no, they're not a pyramid scheme, they're an MLM! It's totally different!

eddiejoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2017, 06:58:12 AM »

I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why. One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you

Thank you!! I have been trying to find the correct words to articulate this thought. If you had a regular sells job where you were making bank off commission and your boss sent a memo we have to bring in 500 extra people to sell the same products you are selling would that make you severely disgruntled?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:00:29 AM by eddiejoe »

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2017, 07:59:06 AM »

I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why. One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you

Thank you!! I have been trying to find the correct words to articulate this thought. If you had a regular sells job where you were making bank off commission and your boss sent a memo we have to bring in 500 extra people to sell the same products you are selling would that make you severely disgruntled?

But that's the "beauty" of them! You sign them up under yourself and then make a commission off of their sales, their enrollment fee, their required minimum purchases without having to do anything. As long as they aren't trying to steal your customers then you win! [/sarc]

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »
Mary Kay Cosmetics is headquartered in my city. There are probably more Mary Kay sales reps in Dallas, than anywhere else in the United States. Most women I know have been involved in MK, either hosting parties or working as sales reps. If they realized how saturated the market is here in Dallas, they'd understand why they will go broke in the business eventually. Most wind up trying to sell off their inventory on ebay. Just go to ebay. Almost 10,000 listings for MK Cosmetics.

Many women wind up buying more inventory to get bonuses and to get to the next level. They are basically selling this stuff to themselves.  They have massive credit card debt, in some cases. I knew a man who was in Mary Kay and he drove the company car. It seemed he was successful, but I asked a friend about him later on and she told me his home had been foreclosed on.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
I know many intelligent and nice people who get mixed up in these. I don't know why.  One of the main flaws of MLM is that you recruit your own competition. This makes no sense, if you think about it. Why recruit other people to compete against you?  Also, most MLMs become a saturated market after several years. Mary Kay is a good example of a saturated market.

Aside from competing in a saturated sales market (assuming you even know how to "market" in the first place), the only way to really have sustainable profit in these businesses is the recruitment (down trace? down stream?) where you're making money off of other folks' work. There simply aren't enough people in the world for this to work for more than a handful of others.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: July 15, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »
My biggest issue with MLM people has always been, they get their feelings hurt when you tell them "no" unless you sugarcoat it to the point where the meaning of "no" is completely lost and they think you're saying "maybe". But it baffles me how anyone can be a so-called businessperson and yet, get their feelings hurt so easily.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: July 15, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
I guess I'm a bit of a jackass but I wouldn't mind if somebody got their feelings hurt in that situation.

Anyway, "hurt feelings" are just another sales tactic.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: July 15, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
If they want to do well in sales, they'll have to be nicer to people themselves I guess.

It's kinda funny I've known people who didn't like me (and even admitted it, in some cases). Then, they got involved in MLM and were all of a sudden sending me friend requests on FB or trying to get to know me, or inviting me to "parties".  I'd rather they be honest with themselves and stick to their original feelings towards me.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
Just got a FB message from a friend inviting me to an online mlm party.  She's trying to use this for a legit side hustle, and I hope she makes a ton.  However, I politely declined her party invite and told her about the secret to our financial survival-MMM!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
No, wife of an acquaintance I see every year or two, I don't want to host a "party" at my house so you can sell childrens' books. We all have library cards already, thanks.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #266 on: July 21, 2017, 01:02:13 PM »
Just got a FB message from a friend inviting me to an online mlm party.  She's trying to use this for a legit side hustle, and I hope she makes a ton.  However, I politely declined her party invite and told her about the secret to our financial survival-MMM!

The only benefit I ever saw to these was the "party" part.   I just don't get how an online event is a "party".  It's a promotion, not a party. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »

The only benefit I ever saw to these was the "party" part.   I just don't get how an online event is a "party".  It's a promotion, not a party.

Party=social event with no pressure to buy something.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
No, wife of an acquaintance I see every year or two, I don't want to host a "party" at my house so you can sell childrens' books. We all have library cards already, thanks.

I've already been pressured to buy Usborne books, and it's a one year contract, I believe, where you pay around $50 a month and they ship books to you.  MLMs are getting worse these days with trying to rope customers into long term contracts, rather than just allowing them to make a one time purchase. Once you're in a contract, very hard to get out of it.

Like you, I cannot imagine spending $50 a month on children's books when we have a library card. And it's free.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:53:42 AM by Chesleygirl »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »

I've already been pressured to buy Usborne books, and it's a one year contract, I believe, where you pay around $50 a month and they ship books to you.  MLMs are getting worse these days with trying to rope customers into long term contracts, rather than just allowing them to make a one time purchase. Once you're in a contract, very hard to get out of it.

Like you, I cannot imagine spending $50 a month on children's books when we have a library card. And it's free.

It makes sense that the concept would go in that direction. If they can't convince you to buy enough of their product with actual business skill, they'll just trap you.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »

It makes sense that the concept would go in that direction. If they can't convince you to buy enough of their product with actual business skill, they'll just trap you.

That's exactly what they do. Trap people into contracts and monthly billing to a credit card. Many people don't understand or read the fine print that it's a contract. And that is why they won't sell to anyone who doesn't have a credit card.  I often lie and tell them, oh gosh, I have bad credit and had to cut up all my cards. This is a good way to get them to leave you alone.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »
UGHHHH. Wife of a friend messaged me on FB out of the blue the other day. Started with "Hey Sweetie" (in no context would she ever call me Sweetie. Neither would most people, for that matter. I am fairly tall and a bit blunt, I don't come across as a 'sweetie') and then followed it with her "sales" to help her keep her "selling level" and stuff. Another conservative Christian SAHM falls prey to the MLM kingdom. I replied and told her that I had zero interest, and did not want any calls, FB contact, group invites, or invites to "parties" to do with any sort of direct selling like that. She took it surprisingly well, didn't do the 'feeling hurt' route mentioned previously that seems SO common. Interesting someone mentioned this as a sales tactic- I hadn't thought about it, but that *really* fits my experiences.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2017, 05:15:53 AM »

Yes. They're all involved in MLM.  Some have more education than I do, and have worked in more professional careers than I have. So I wonder why they don't recognize the pyramid structure of these businesses, and understand economic terms like "saturated market".  If I look around and see everyone on my block is opening up a lemonade stand on their front lawn, I wouldn't open one up too. Common sense would tell me that the competition is too fierce already.

I am not the brightest cookie out there but I've never gotten involved in MLM.

My wife is a SAHM and helps organize a local Meetup group for those with little kids. She has to kick MLM-ers out sometimes, and the confusing thing is, why not come to some events before trying to sell crap? At least put in the minimum effort, and maybe your kids will have fun, because people do join these things on purpose to make friends.

My wife didn't enjoy the local mothers of multiples group either, though I don't think anybody tried to sell her anything. I think she was weirded out that nobody was bringing their kids to the event.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »

My wife is a SAHM and helps organize a local Meetup group for those with little kids. She has to kick MLM-ers out sometimes, and the confusing thing is, why not come to some events before trying to sell crap? At least put in the minimum effort, and maybe your kids will have fun, because people do join these things on purpose to make friends.

It's sad these women can't just get together and be friends, and let their kids play together. With no strings attached.  I wish my Moms of Multiples group would kick out the MLM-ers, but they don't. I have blocked one of the members from facebook, email and my phone, all three. She wouldn't stop sending messages and invites.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »
I live in Baja Mexico. Pretty isolated, peninsula, small towns.

Just found out my niece is making $4000 USD / month selling Mary Kay, just from her commissions from her downline. Anything she direct sells is on top of that. WTF?

Her mom is under her and also doing well.

My niece has 136 people directly under her. She's been in it for a long time, and works hard (probably full timeish) training her team and all that. Pretty impressive.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: July 24, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
My wife just told me about a friend of hers.  The friend signed up as a consultant for Thrive as she wanted to try the product and it had a good sign on discount. She then also posted on facebook asking for honest feedback from others who have used the product. Thrive contacted her and told her she couldn't do that and then blocked access to her consultant account. So she immediately cancelled her order and requested a refund.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #276 on: July 24, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »
From a former co-worker, who is barely an acquaintance, a FB IM message (all typos were his, not mine):

Hey bud its NAME hey I sponsered you into one of programs.  I have a work. I was wondering if you had some time to sit sown tomorrow and go over it give me a call and I will explain further.  My number is XXXXXXXXXX

Looks like American Income Life.  He was a maintenance tech, we haven't spoken in nearly two years.  Married with a small child and another one on the way.  Hopefully he wises up soon and just gets a job in construction, which would offer better pay and utilizes his current skill set so he can support his family.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: July 24, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
Here is a positive MLM experience..

I bought a Thirty-one wallet from the thrift store last month fpr $6 .  It is amazingly great quality, perfect for what I needed.  I don't think it was ever used, either.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
Hey bud its NAME hey I sponsered you into one of programs.  I have a work. I was wondering if you had some time to sit sown tomorrow and go over it give me a call and I will explain further.  My number is XXXXXXXXXX

What does that even mean?!!?

Also, I really hope he actually typed 'NAME'.lol

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »

What does that even mean?!!?

Also, I really hope he actually typed 'NAME'.lol

Ha Ha, no, he actually got that part correct, along with the phone number, but he didn't even put dashes in it, so it was literally 10 digits all together.  I think the sad part is that I glanced at the IM and just moved on.  It wasn't until I typed it out for y'all today that I realized all the errors!  WOW...

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
This thread has been a good read that entertained me and then made me sad too. 

If blocking "friends" into a drive way isn't some form of desperation, then I'm not sure what it is.  Still, a fun read.

Luckily my experience with MLM has been minimal and pain free.  I think that mostly has to due with the people that are selling are actual work friends so they don't take the "no" personally.  It helps that they know me enough to know I don't wear leggings (I have a lularoe friend), buy things that smell (Sentsey - sp?), nor wear makeup (the other ones).  None of them are stay at home parents.

I know if I go to a party (online or otherwise) I will buy, so I just don't go. 

It really makes me sad to think people bought in to these for the right to sell.  That makes me kinda mad.

LV

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: July 25, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
Here is a positive MLM experience..

I bought a Thirty-one wallet from the thrift store last month fpr $6 .  It is amazingly great quality, perfect for what I needed.  I don't think it was ever used, either.

You can buy any MLM product on Ebay. Tons of Mary Kay cosmetics, pampered chef products, Longaberger baskets....all are sold on there. The consultants usually have to sell off their inventory somehow.

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #282 on: July 26, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Thought of y'all today as I happily unfriended a Facebook "friend" who won't stop inviting me to Partylite online parties. No thank you!

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #283 on: July 27, 2017, 04:28:43 AM »
My friend is a SAHM who used to work as a graphic designer.  I offered to give her work doing branding and graphic design for my business.  She didn't even respond back to me.

I spent thousands to have someone else do it instead.

Meanwhile, she's trying to sell lipsense.  She would've made more in a month or two working for me, than she probably ever will selling lipsense.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #284 on: July 27, 2017, 09:04:58 AM »
A couple of acquaintances within a large group of local friends recently joined a wine MLM and then started marketing it to everyone else as "free wine". We had a bit of a spat when I pointed out that nothing is really free and the structure increases the average cost. I don't know if anyone actually signed up... I'm just glad we're not hearing about it anymore.

The next time we all hung out, I gave away a bunch of cheap bottles, with an Actual Free Wine sign. To keep it good-natured, I gave the couple in question a nice red too*. All told, cost me less than one bottle of the shite they're selling xD

*not expensive, just really good.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »
If you need ammunition to get someone to stop participating in MLM, show them this hysterical John Oliver video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

One powerful message: if you were to recruit 5 people into an MLM scheme and they each recruit 5, and so on....after 14 cycles you would exceed the population on earth and we would need to start reproducing!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:13:33 PM by frozen »

Joeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
If you need ammunition to get someone to stop participating in MLM, show them this hysterical John Oliver video:

One powerful message: if you were to recruit 5 people into an MLM scheme and they each recruit 5, and so on....after 14 cycles you would exceed the population on earth and we would need to start reproducing!

Awesome job by John Oliver.  Is going to see the movie Betting on Zero to support the film maker

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/11/herbalife-documentary-betting-on-zero

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »
This morning on my neighborhood FB page, there's an invite for Mom's & kids to learn how to make GOOD choices for their health, at a Lunch Box makeover.  Zooming into the photo, I see a picture of random school supplies, with pouches of Juice Plus.  Sigh, getting the kids involved in MLM at an early age!  Ugh...

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
The John Oliver video was good.  Much enjoyment was had.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #289 on: August 01, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
One of my cousins is one of those obnoxious Beachbody coaches and literally every single post on social media is her bragging about how great her Peanut butter-acai berry-lemon-chocolate Shakology was this morning and to contact her to order and how inspiring and rewarding it is to be a coach and what groups she has going and how to join. Literally 1 person ever interacts with her posts. Not even her mom "likes" them lol

I always have a bit of a chuckle because I have green smoothies for breakfast every morning (Almonds, spinach, berries, dates, almond milk, and a banana) which are probably a gajillion times healthier and CHEAPER than those shake packets.

Another good friend has cycled through a few MLM schemes. Jamberry, Pampered Chef, one for adult coloring books I think, a few others that I'm not remembering off the top of my head, and now she's on Norwex. I think she hosts those parties to get the free stuff from her "mentor" or whatever, she doesn't have anyone under her. But she's struggling financially (overwhelming student loans on a teachers salary) and it makes me sad to see her jumping on these so desperately. She isn't pushy at all, but her facebook parties always fall flat from lack of interest. Her time would be much better spent on other pursuits.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:25:53 PM by Lady SA »

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
one for adult coloring books I think

Is this real?

That can't be real.

Shit. It's real: https://www.facebook.com/NewHorizonColoringBooks

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
One of my cousins is one of those obnoxious Beachbody coaches and literally every single post on social media is her bragging about how great her Peanut butter-acai berry-lemon-chocolate Shakology was this morning and to contact her to order and how inspiring and rewarding it is to be a coach and what groups she has going and how to join. Literally 1 person ever interacts with her posts. Not even her mom "likes" them lol

I always have a bit of a chuckle because I have green smoothies for breakfast every morning (Almonds, spinach, berries, dates, almond milk, and a banana) which are probably a gajillion times healthier and CHEAPER than those shake packets.

Another good friend has cycled through a few MLM schemes. Jamberry, Pampered Chef, one for adult coloring books I think, a few others that I'm not remembering off the top of my head, and now she's on Norwex. I think she hosts those parties to get the free stuff from her "mentor" or whatever, she doesn't have anyone under her. But she's struggling financially (overwhelming student loans on a teachers salary) and it makes me sad to see her jumping on these so desperately. She isn't pushy at all, but her facebook parties always fall flat from lack of interest. Her time would be much better spent on other pursuits.

You need to post pick and brag about your shake and then tag her!

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #292 on: August 02, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »
When I was little, my mom had some friends tried to recruit her into selling Amway. Luckily she didn't fall into the trap but did agree to buy some of the products as her support. It's just hard to say no to friends and I get that. We didn't mind using the products and some were quite useful. I couldn't remember what we bought but my mom didn't my much anyway.

I thought MLM was non-existence until there was one day suddenly everyone was talking about "Worldventure" and how great it was. I did a bit research and immediately identified that it was MLM. It was funny that a girl in my local ski chat group started posting worldventure adds every single day for multiple times a day. It was all about "we are helping people to fulfill their dreams and etc." Group members started getting annoyed and asked her to stop. She got so angry and started to say not very nice words so got kicked out finally.

I thought that was the closest interaction with this MLM until I learned that one of my mom's friends got tricked into it and had to pay thousands of dollars to buy a vacation from WV before it got expired after 2 years. Guess she didn't read the fine print when signing up. She is still paying for the membership every month even though she knew it's a scam and didn't get any discount when she brought that vacation from WV last time. I'm speechless. At least she is not actively recruiting anyone to join so my mom can still befriend with her.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: August 02, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
I have a ton of school-mates on FB who cover the spectrum of every single MLM mentioned here, and probably a few more that aren't listed.  It's incredible.  I do see that it's exclusively the stay at home mom set that attempts these strategies, and it makes be sad to see soo many of them fall victim to these scams.  In many cases, these people are struggling, and they make those struggles public on their page all the time.  I noticed one who just yesterday posted a reminder of her LuLaRoe party coming up today, and seeing what y'all have written about the startup costs, I can only imagine that there is some sort of financing that makes even more money to the company, and puts these people who can least afford it in even more debt.  This particular mom often complains about the lack of heat and various other problems in her apartment, does the side hustle on occasion of being a blackjack dealer at private parties at very off hours, and has two children with some medical issues that her hubby's insurance doesn't do a great job of covering the cost.  Yup, a whole lot of "poor me" in those posts, and now an MLM?  Scary and Sad.

I have a neighbor who is all about Plexus and "Think Pink".  She often tells these stories of how much weight she's lost (looks the same to me), and how her OB/GYN was thrilled to learn that she's drinking Plexus while pregnant!  Yeah, I highly doubt that.  Finances have always been tight in the 2 years that she's moved to our reasonably priced neighborhood, but I'm guessing that someone who buys a $200K house and has a $2K mortgage payment probably had no down payment and horrible credit.  Now that baby #2 is on the way, they've listed the house for an inflated amount, and the plan is to go back to renting.

However, my all time favorite post from her about Plexus is the attached file.  She freely admits that she is at the Ambassador level, and talks about how much $$ she's adding to her HHI, yet this chart disputes her claims, not to mention how biased the chart is, someone did some creative work on that thing!  I'm also wondering if the Plexus training program explained to her that this isn't the type of thing you should be posting.  I resisted the urge to make any comments, but this shows how clueless she is about the whole thing...

An actually very intelligent friend of mine posted this chart (or very similar) today. I really didn't know what to say. So...you're making slightly under $40 PER MONTH on average and you want me to join you? Underneath were comments from other salespeople, "Praise Jesus," "So glad I get to work from home," etc.. I had to just scroll away so I didn't ask them if they knew how to math.

ETA...sorry I don't know how to re-post the chart I guess.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:13 PM »
I have now been invited to 3 MLM parties scheduled within the same week.  Jamberry, LipSense and Mary Kay.  Ugh.

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: August 03, 2017, 12:24:39 AM »
However, my all time favorite post from her about Plexus is the attached file.  She freely admits that she is at the Ambassador level, and talks about how much $$ she's adding to her HHI, yet this chart disputes her claims, not to mention how biased the chart is, someone did some creative work on that thing!  I'm also wondering if the Plexus training program explained to her that this isn't the type of thing you should be posting.  I resisted the urge to make any comments, but this shows how clueless she is about the whole thing...

Wow! A whopping 0.59% make above the US average listed in that particular chart, which is not particylarly high, and a whopping 1.21% make a living wage (provided you're frugal) out of it. And this does't include any money you have to spend yourself in the product to reach/maintain status.... Great chart.

A friend of mine recently joined "younique" and unfriended me when I refused to buy overpriced mascara (as a present) and told her MLMs can't mathematically work. Oh well. I even looked at their compensation system (which is relatively understandable) and of course if you're recruiting anybody who likes the product to be under you (even if only to get the 20%/25% discounts) it's not clear how you can get the "personal sales" part except by paying yourself, out of your profits if you're high up above to actually have any.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: August 03, 2017, 07:46:08 AM »

Wow! A whopping 0.59% make above the US average listed in that particular chart, which is not particylarly high, and a whopping 1.21% make a living wage (provided you're frugal) out of it. And this does't include any money you have to spend yourself in the product to reach/maintain status.... Great chart.

A friend of mine recently joined "younique" and unfriended me when I refused to buy overpriced mascara (as a present) and told her MLMs can't mathematically work. Oh well. I even looked at their compensation system (which is relatively understandable) and of course if you're recruiting anybody who likes the product to be under you (even if only to get the 20%/25% discounts) it's not clear how you can get the "personal sales" part except by paying yourself, out of your profits if you're high up above to actually have any.

Yeah but a mere 50% of people make more than average income, at those rates you might as well risk it an make it big using a MLM.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »
FTFY: the Plexus graphs, scaled.
The original graph was log-scaled.

The Plexus graph has changed a little since it was posted here. Here is the new graph from their website.

See it in the wild here: https://media.plexusworldwide.com/cdn/FINAL-2015-Income-Disclosure-Statement.pdf
This graph is slightly more honest. The fine print lets us know that they excluded the 65% of entry level people who did not qualify for commissions - with them average commissions for the entry level group would be $111. Overall average across all ranks < $2000/yr; median $213.23.

My BIL took me to a TEAM meeting when he was involved in MonaVie. One of the presenters talked about how in the corporate world, 5% of the people make 95% of the money - or something like that. I don't recall how directly they claimed that signing up would provide an opportunity to break free from a job working to earn money for someone else; but when they passed out the MonaVie income disclosure statement, I noticed how even after they elimintated the "wholesale customers" who didn't have enough volume to qualify for commissions the numbers they gave (including self-reported average hours spent on the business) indicated that about 95% of the sales force made less than minimum wage in their "business".

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »

If you liked that one, watch this one on retirement plans, it is awesome --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZSpET11ZY

I've never heard of John Oliver before, but I loved the videos, thanks for the link.

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
One of the presenters talked about how in the corporate world, 5% of the people make 95% of the money - or something like that.

Did he say: "In the corporate world 5% of the people make 95% of the money. So unjust. Come to us where less than 0.5% of the people make what would be a decent corporate salary".