Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639057 times)

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »
It seems MLMs are getting even more bold about not even worrying about products anymore.  My girlfriend and her friend were hit up by a waiter at TGI Fridays last week about a "vacation discount program" where you pay $600 to get discounts on vacations for a year.  You get better discounts the more people you recruit.  She said the waiter was noticeably less friendly after they declined.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2017, 07:03:12 AM »
Sadly, those vacation plans aren't a new thing.

I'd complain to TGIF. A waiter should not be able to do that!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »
*sigh* with FB apparently people can add you to groups without your consent and until you go in and "unfollow or leave" you will get all the group notifications. One "consultant" had the gall to PM me because my friend is hosting a party and "invited" me. Note, I did NOT accept this event request. I might not have minded if I had joined, but, just, no.

Can we start a FI MLM? for every person we convert, we get a % of the money they save, and their family saves and on and on...? ;)

Seriously, it frustrates me because a lot of the people I see doing this are good and relatively smart, but either they can't say "no" to a friend or family member who is a consultant. Or they see this as a way of building equality in a relationship and self-worth.  These people would be much, much better off if they spent their time learning how to properly manage the money that does come into the household instead of spending the huge amount of time/effort/energy/money to try and bring in income through an MLM.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:48 AM »
*sigh* with FB apparently people can add you to groups without your consent and until you go in and "unfollow or leave" you will get all the group notifications. One "consultant" had the gall to PM me because my friend is hosting a party and "invited" me. Note, I did NOT accept this event request. I might not have minded if I had joined, but, just, no.

Crap like this is why I have pretty much quit FB.  It seems to be turning into one big 'business tool' for people to exploit.

Ramblin' Ma'am

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
I took an Uber this weekend and the driver gave me a business card for his MLM "business"! My guess is he is cobbling together a bunch of side hustles to try to make a living.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »
I took an Uber this weekend and the driver gave me a business card for his MLM "business"! My guess is he is cobbling together a bunch of side hustles to try to make a living.

LOL Uber is a great side-channel for spreading your MLM! I'll keep that in mind for if I ever get suckered into selling skincare products, because you know: "men need skincare too" (true statement but it seems less palatable when an R+F associate starts pointing it out)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2017, 09:28:58 AM »
It seems MLMs are getting even more bold about not even worrying about products anymore.  My girlfriend and her friend were hit up by a waiter at TGI Fridays last week about a "vacation discount program" where you pay $600 to get discounts on vacations for a year.  You get better discounts the more people you recruit.  She said the waiter was noticeably less friendly after they declined.

I would write TGIF corporate and complain about that behavior: solicitation of personal business from a waiter on the job. That's awful and super unprofessional. That waiter should be fired so he can focus full-time on his MLM scam.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »

I would write TGIF corporate and complain about that behavior: solicitation of personal business from a waiter on the job. That's awful and super unprofessional. That waiter should be fired so he can focus full-time on his MLM scam.

Well I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because I wasn't there. 

My girlfriend and her friend tend to bring people way out of their normal comfort zones somehow, and get everyone to act informal around them.  I could easily see them asking about what his hobbies or what else he does are during a 5 minute conversation, and then excitedly pressing him for more info when he brought up a side business.  If I go to a restaurant and a waiter unprovoked tries to sell me on an MLM, you bet I'll be calling in a complaint.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »

My girlfriend and her friend tend to bring people way out of their normal comfort zones somehow, and get everyone to act informal around them.  I could easily see them asking about what his hobbies or what else he does are during a 5 minute conversation, and then excitedly pressing him for more info when he brought up a side business.  If I go to a restaurant and a waiter unprovoked tries to sell me on an MLM, you bet I'll be calling in a complaint.

LOL I know what you mean - my parents are like that too... getting kind of nosy with other peoples' business.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »

LOL I know what you mean - my parents are like that too... getting kind of nosy with other peoples' business.

Yup, I used to be like that but I've learned to caution my interest because some people can't stop once they get started or they'll ask for your help for something that is way too personal and I got tired of declining (I know we seem to be getting along but I just met you dude, I'm not going to babysit your cats and/or your child for a week).

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
I got a friend request on Facebook this morning.  The name didn't look familiar, so I checked out the profile - maybe it's a married name from an old schoolmate.  Nope.  The profile was wide open, so I was able to scroll through her posts.  A lot of posting about how psychiatry is a scam - red flag #1.  Then I saw the real reason I was targeted.  She's with LuLaRoe!  Yeah, nope!  Request deleted.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »

Crap like this is why I have pretty much quit FB.  It seems to be turning into one big 'business tool' for people to exploit.

I even complained to FB about it.  I'm sure my opinion went nowhere.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »

Yup, I used to be like that but I've learned to caution my interest because some people can't stop once they get started or they'll ask for your help for something that is way too personal and I got tired of declining (I know we seem to be getting along but I just met you dude, I'm not going to babysit your cats and/or your child for a week).

The issue with my parents is that they're not only nosy but they become over-invested in people and way too soon. To the point that they meet them one day and are 'best friends' the next. For example, my dad met this kid on the bus who apparently was fresh out of college or something. They started talking about jobs and IT etc - somehow it came up that the kid was looking for a job or something. My dad immediately assumed the role of mentor, advising him on what he should and shouldn't do and told all of us that he would be meeting with this kid next week to talk more. I know he's trying to be super helpful or whatever, but sometimes it's too much - just stop over-involving yourself with everyone and everything, thinking that you know what's best for them! He probably feels like he'll project onto others what he couldn't do with his sons - instead of waiting for us to come to him or asking us if we want his advice, he just tries to fish for the information and lays it on us (he'll often ask about my job and I've never liked talking about work, and he knows it. Yet he'll continually ask about it. With my WFH job he threw out his unsolicited opinions about how I really need face time and I should try to find an office to work out of with people in it....). It's all in good intention but I've never considered his advice as particularly sage wisdom either, therefore I tend not to take most of it. It's just super annoying when he tries to impart unsolicited wisdom on us.

It could also be for the agenda of somehow getting something out of that person too, and once they've gotten what they want they drop communication and pretend like they never knew them. Super fickle and extremely annoying. My brother lives near them and interacts daily with them as well as sees their interactions with others - he's the one who tells me most of these things. I've seen it on several occasions as well. I'm just glad they never got suckered into MLM crap, because if they did I think a lot of people would really hate them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:20:43 AM by jeromedawg »

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
Ughhh....

I guess I'm a bit into a pyramid scheme myself. After all when I put more money into my index funds they then create employees (dividends and returns) and then those employees bring in even more employees.

But seriously, my old neighbor is seriously into these. The wife and I went to one of her wine and cheese parties and bought a couple bottles of wine, why not. But since then she has gotten into some company that signs you up for utilities, cable companies, and cell phones. She told my wife how much she could save us on our phone bill and my wife replied that would mean we'd almost pay nothing for our plans (pre-paid). She then invited my wife over to hang out. My wife then got the hard pitch about finance and helping us out of debt. To this my wife replied that we don't have debt (we do but how do you justify paying off student loans that are 2.5%) and that I could teach her how to get out of debt, invest, and retire early. She is now with some company that gives you a Jeep and "pays for it". She is always posting about insurance and financial planning on FB.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
I'd love to peer into the thought process of people like that. Well, then again maybe it would be an experience that would give me long lasting mental scars. These people's ideas just don't add up logically.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »
Ughhh....

I guess I'm a bit into a pyramid scheme myself. After all when I put more money into my index funds they then create employees (dividends and returns) and then those employees bring in even more employees.

But seriously, my old neighbor is seriously into these. The wife and I went to one of her wine and cheese parties and bought a couple bottles of wine, why not. But since then she has gotten into some company that signs you up for utilities, cable companies, and cell phones. She told my wife how much she could save us on our phone bill and my wife replied that would mean we'd almost pay nothing for our plans (pre-paid). She then invited my wife over to hang out. My wife then got the hard pitch about finance and helping us out of debt. To this my wife replied that we don't have debt (we do but how do you justify paying off student loans that are 2.5%) and that I could teach her how to get out of debt, invest, and retire early. She is now with some company that gives you a Jeep and "pays for it". She is always posting about insurance and financial planning on FB.

ooooh,  can you share what the company name is?

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
Primerica?

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
I always am amused by acquaintances who do the MLM thing are constantly posting on Facebook about "how easy" it is and how close they are to becoming a director/ regional lead/ VP of the world etc. with their "easy" sales.

One person I know was always posting about Mary-Kay. She is already a Mary Kay DIRECTOR! She has a team! She makes money soooo easy! I especially loved the photos she always posted on FB of the Mary Kay conventions: posing next to the pink SUV, a Kate spade handbag, or fancy price of jewelry with the caption "I will be coming back for these gifts shortly! On track to earn them this year!"

All the while, she was also posting on the same Facebook account about how her day job as a yoga instructor got her hours cut, she can't afford to make rent, does anyone know of an apartment available with cheaper rent ASAP?? Is anyone looking for a roommate she can't afford this months rent on her own? She's looking to move to a different city but can't afford to rent a place on her own, does anyone know anyone with an empty room to rent in this new city?

But wait, what about that "easy" Mary Kay money miss big boss director lady?? Needless to say, I wasn't interested in joining her sales team.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2017, 07:59:02 AM »
Why don't these people compartmentalize their business from their personal lives online? Do they think that people can't put two and two together?

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2017, 08:03:28 AM »
Why don't these people compartmentalize their business from their personal lives online? Do they think that people can't put two and two together?

If they were acting smart enough to do that they would probably also be smart enough to not take part in a MLM scheme.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »
Because they need to leverage their personal relationships.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »
Because they need to leverage their personal relationships.

Yep. Otherwise they won't sell any products or recruit anyone for their downline.

Direct marketing is only sustainable or even marginally profitable for people with a massive network of friends, family, and neighbors who for some reason can't or won't use online options or for whom product related get-togethers are actually a source of entertainment. In a situation like that, hosting or performing at a sales party isn't considered an imposition on the guests, who come wanting to actually buy.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2017, 06:17:24 AM »
I heard an ad on the radio this morning for a LaLuRoe event happening at a local convention center this w/e. Like lambs to the slaughter...

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2017, 06:23:40 AM »
I heard an ad on the radio this morning for a LaLuRoe event happening at a local convention center this w/e. Like lambs to the slaughter...

when will the world finally have enough leggings with crazy patterns with oversized shirts?

JDFW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »
I read that it takes $6k to start with Lulularoe. 6K!!! I hate that people let themselves be roped into risking that kind of money. A friend of mine does it, but I decline all her invites about it.

If anyone ever mentions MLMs to me, I just say, "I don't buy things." Then they go away.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
Anyone here remember 31 bags?  They actually had quality bags (I was given 2 as gifts, and we use them a lot), but the company was based on Proverbs 31, which I'm not churchy enough to remember what that line is.  My cousin sold them, and my mom bought a bunch from her to give out as Christmas presents to all the women in the family.  While nice, it was also done to "support" this cousin.  Who needed support.  And a real job.  And was already living with my parents for several months while searching for said job. sigh.

Also, LulaRoe is apparently not all sunshine and rainbows.  This website has lots of consultants sending her dirt:  http://www.mommygyver.com/single-post/2017/05/11/Get-In-Good-With-the-Warehouse

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »

when will the world finally have enough leggings with crazy patterns with oversized shirts?
I know, right?  I actually got my very first invite to an online LLR party a month ago or so.  I can't believe it took that long.  Thing is, a few of my friends have cute leggings.  They are comfy, and I can see the appeal.

But how many do you need?  I have four pairs of leggings for running, and a pair of comfy shorts for lounging at home.  I don't need leggings with ... hearts, unicorns, etc.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
Anyone here remember 31 bags?  They actually had quality bags (I was given 2 as gifts, and we use them a lot), but the company was based on Proverbs 31, which I'm not churchy enough to remember what that line is.  My cousin sold them, and my mom bought a bunch from her to give out as Christmas presents to all the women in the family.  While nice, it was also done to "support" this cousin.  Who needed support.  And a real job.  And was already living with my parents for several months while searching for said job. sigh.

Also, LulaRoe is apparently not all sunshine and rainbows.  This website has lots of consultants sending her dirt:  http://www.mommygyver.com/single-post/2017/05/11/Get-In-Good-With-the-Warehouse

LOL! https://www.mythirtyone.com/ - never heard of them till you mentioned it. The premise of Proverbs 31 is basically about the wife being virtuous and hard-working.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »
Sister in law of friend selling LulaRoe says she is making $20k per month doing it. Is that really even possible? She did get in very early. Is it sustainable?
I don't know if that's gross revenue or net income. But damn that's pretty good!

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
Sister in law of friend selling LulaRoe says she is making $20k per month doing it. Is that really even possible? She did get in very early. Is it sustainable?
I don't know if that's gross revenue or net income. But damn that's pretty good!

Yes, I think for some it is.  MY SIL is raking it in also and she has only been doing it for a year.  She is very good at marketing herself and she has a group of gals who just don't know when to say when.  I swear some are changing over their whole wardrobe (leggings, shirts, dresses, skirts, etc to LLR) to the tune of thousands of dollars.  I have not bought one piece of it and I never will.  Soft  - yes.  Fun patterns - some, yes.  Poor quality - yes.  Overpriced - HELL YES!

Sustainable - yes and no.  Due to mostly Facebook parties, I would say yes to being able to sell forever because you can reach anyone with an account.  No more needing it to be local because you have to drive to their house for the party.  No because the trend will die or the company will have too much growth too fast and it will implode.  Either scenario would be good! 

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
1) Don't trust any revenue numbers from MLM members unless they show you their tax returns
2) They are taught to "fake it until they make it" meaning it is very likely the numbers they give you are inflated (if not completely false)
3) In general the numbers being shared are gross revenue, not counting personal expenses or cost of buying the product. In the same line of thoughts, an Amazon affiliate can tell you they shipped $300'000 worth of products in a year, not telling you they only get a 3% commission out of that number. My brother pretended he was doing $800 a month in an MLM. But he had to pay for more than $1000 in product (and kept pretending it was different because he would "buy it anyway"), so, you get the idea.
4) A very tiny percentage (1% or less) of people who "got in very early" do indeed make a lot of money. They do this by exploiting their bottom line, it's up to you to understand if your friend's SIL is lying to you or to hundreds of people, whichever is easier to believe.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »

LOL! https://www.mythirtyone.com/ - never heard of them till you mentioned it. The premise of Proverbs 31 is basically about the wife being virtuous and hard-working.

Even better, it is about a wife running her own business and making and managing her own money, owning her own land and property, for the benefit of (her) and her family.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »
I participate on some mom's boards and MLM topics always result in a flame war. About 10% of the posters see them (as I do) as exploitative of the sales people, a scam, a way to lose money, annoying to all who are entrapped by their "friends" into parties selling overpriced stuff, etc. 40% don't care one way or the other. The other 50% participate in some MLM and insist that they "own their own business" and that they will get rich and that anyone who says differently is wrong, and that buying from them is "supporting a local business" etc. 

The only thing I think of any quality that I've gotten from an MLM is Tupperware. But Rubbermaid is a very close second, at 1/3 of the cost, and available easily at Target (e.g. none of the sales pressure).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2017, 05:58:51 PM »
Horray!  SIL has finally "seen the light" and stated that she makes very little money from the MLM she was a rep for, especially on an hourly basis.   She will keep it up with the internet orders (no inventory), but will not market it any more.

This told to me by my MIL, while I was standing in her laundry room, surrounded by a vast number of MLM items she has bought from SIL from 2-3 years ago, not yet used.   (scented handsoaps, expensive kitchen small appliances, etc).   When MIL stopped buying from SIL, I think SIL's profits tanked.  Of course, SIL used her "profits" to take the low cost "vacations" to MLM conferences previously...

Anyway, so very happy now.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »
In 1999, I sold Excel long distance to my family and friends. It was an easy sell because their rates were lower than the local phone company. Much lower.

I saved my friends and family money and I made around $3000. I think the buy-in was $150.

The hardest part was getting a small business to sign up. However, my step-dad had many small business owners in his social network, so it wasn't that hard. 

It was an MLM, but I didn't try to get any of my friends to sell it.

Did anyone else do this?

lchu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2017, 07:13:57 AM »
Horray!  SIL has finally "seen the light" and stated that she makes very little money from the MLM she was a rep for, especially on an hourly basis.   She will keep it up with the internet orders (no inventory), but will not market it any more.

Excited for you, although apparently the MLM bug has spread to my SIL.  She isn't a sales consultant (yet) but she's hooked on MLM referral programs that allow her to earn free merchandise for persuading people to make purchases at parties she hosts.  Fortunately, I live out of state so I'm out of the direct line of fire, but I still get included on all the Facebook invites (so that I feel included!  Haha!) and watching the drama unfold is like watching a train wreck.  I can't look away!

She's held a weekly MLM "purchase party" almost every weekend for the last few months and she became very miffed that the majority of her invitees showed little or no interest in attending.

So, she moved onto the "sneak attack" MLM party where she invites people over and they find out when they arrive that the main entertainment is the MLM consultant ("Girls night" turned out to be an Avon cosmetics sales party; "Margarita night" turned out to be a Party Time Mixes cocktail mix sales party; etc, etc).  This has apparently worked a surprising number of times, until somebody finally had the balls to just walk out at the beginning of the sales pitch which led to a mass exodus and zero sales.

So, the most recent variation was the "sneak & block" debacle: she had the consultant arrive last and "block in" the other cars to make it extremely awkward for people to leave before the MLM person had reached the end of the presentation.  Yeah, someone drove over their front lawn to leave.

As far as I can tell, a third of her friend group is no longer friendly with her over the whole sneak party issue, another third is planning an intervention (we can still be friends but none of us are ever coming to your house again, for any reason), and the final third apparently doesn't have an issue.

I'm sad that she's so trapped in the consumerist mindset that what she already owns is never enough, that she's willing to sacrifice her relationships with other people over the opportunity to get more stuff that doesn't do anything to make her happier.  I hope the friend intervention (or the loss of friends) serves as a wake-up call for her.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »

Excited for you, although apparently the MLM bug has spread to my SIL.  She isn't a sales consultant (yet) but she's hooked on MLM referral programs that allow her to earn free merchandise for persuading people to make purchases at parties she hosts.  Fortunately, I live out of state so I'm out of the direct line of fire, but I still get included on all the Facebook invites (so that I feel included!  Haha!) and watching the drama unfold is like watching a train wreck.  I can't look away!

She's held a weekly MLM "purchase party" almost every weekend for the last few months and she became very miffed that the majority of her invitees showed little or no interest in attending.

So, she moved onto the "sneak attack" MLM party where she invites people over and they find out when they arrive that the main entertainment is the MLM consultant ("Girls night" turned out to be an Avon cosmetics sales party; "Margarita night" turned out to be a Party Time Mixes cocktail mix sales party; etc, etc).  This has apparently worked a surprising number of times, until somebody finally had the balls to just walk out at the beginning of the sales pitch which led to a mass exodus and zero sales.

So, the most recent variation was the "sneak & block" debacle: she had the consultant arrive last and "block in" the other cars to make it extremely awkward for people to leave before the MLM person had reached the end of the presentation.  Yeah, someone drove over their front lawn to leave.

As far as I can tell, a third of her friend group is no longer friendly with her over the whole sneak party issue, another third is planning an intervention (we can still be friends but none of us are ever coming to your house again, for any reason), and the final third apparently doesn't have an issue.

I'm sad that she's so trapped in the consumerist mindset that what she already owns is never enough, that she's willing to sacrifice her relationships with other people over the opportunity to get more stuff that doesn't do anything to make her happier.  I hope the friend intervention (or the loss of friends) serves as a wake-up call for her.

Whoa, that sounds *drastic*! Running over the lawn to escape!!! Like something out of a movie hahahaha. That is pretty awesome though. It's crazy how passive-aggressive someone can get over doing this sneak-parties and going as far as attempting to block them from leaving! No wonder she pissed all her "friends" off - I'd be furious too if my wife had a "friend" like that. Maybe she should get into used car sales :D

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
Excited for you, although apparently the MLM bug has spread to my SIL.  She isn't a sales consultant (yet) but she's hooked on MLM referral programs that allow her to earn free merchandise for persuading people to make purchases at parties she hosts.  ...

This made me laugh!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:41 AM »
Excited for you, although apparently the MLM bug has spread to my SIL.  She isn't a sales consultant (yet) but she's hooked on MLM referral programs that allow her to earn free merchandise for persuading people to make purchases at parties she hosts.  ...

This made me laugh!

Me too.  But I also wonder what kind of a person basically uses their friends like this.  I can't imagine being invited somewhere without being told it was a MLM event.  Kind of like throwing your friends/family under the bus.   

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
It's funny how some have aligned with the FIRE goals that I am excited about.

I have a few friends (Juice+) that advertise constantly about being retired early (and their insanely healthy lifestyles due to fruit skin pills).

Is this what happens when you get enough down-lines, they stop allowing you to sell or increase them? I can't imagine it's sustainable long term, so why wouldn't they maximize as much as they can while it's big. Not to mention there appears to be mandatory conferences and "vacations" to business towns and hotel meeting rooms every week, so I question the authenticity of the ER dream.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »
It's funny how some have aligned with the FIRE goals that I am excited about.

I have a few friends (Juice+) that advertise constantly about being retired early (and their insanely healthy lifestyles due to fruit skin pills).

Is this what happens when you get enough down-lines, they stop allowing you to sell or increase them? I can't imagine it's sustainable long term, so why wouldn't they maximize as much as they can while it's big. Not to mention there appears to be mandatory conferences and "vacations" to business towns and hotel meeting rooms every week, so I question the authenticity of the ER dream.

I think the people who make money in direct marketing are either people with fantastic networks and few other delivery options who are able to avoid MLM schtick, or else MLM'ers who get in early on the ground floor so that everyone else is "downline". Aside from that it appears to me that the vast majority of money is in the "tools" sales, which is generally done through a separate company. That's who rakes in the green from all the mandatory conferences, tape of the week, and book of the month sales. A person could hit ER pretty well if they skipped any MLM involvement themselves and just focused on tools and motivational speeches.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
I confess my brother is in an MLM it's called ACN.  He adores it and claims to make money off it.  My mother and I have agreed to support him but never buy from it or sell anything from it it's a fair compromise I think.  My stepfather dabbled in it too.  I used to be a half a**sed Avon rep when the one in my building left but after that business fell off and I became afraid of being busted for solicitation so I stopped since it's a federal building and people can be vindictive or turn you in off hand.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
The sneak attack MLM party is the absolute worst!

Funny story: when I was engaged my husband was in the air force in Ohio, and I still lived in Texas for school. I visited him for 4 weeks in the summer. The second day I was there the women in his group of friends were all having a get together, and I was invited too. I had never met any of them. It was a sex toys sales party. I did not go. That was not how I wanted to meet the group. Even after I was good friends with them all, I still skipped the sex toys party. Call me a prude, or call me cheap. Either is true.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »

Funny story: when I was engaged my husband was in the air force in Ohio, and I still lived in Texas for school. I visited him for 4 weeks in the summer. The second day I was there the women in his group of friends were all having a get together, and I was invited too. I had never met any of them. It was a sex toys sales party. I did not go. That was not how I wanted to meet the group. Even after I was good friends with them all, I still skipped the sex toys party. Call me a prude, or call me cheap. Either is true.

Yuck. That's not how I'd want to meet other folks in a social circle either.

Having a mental image of a new friend using some of that stuff is just not my idea of social bonding. "Oh, that's Jeff, he's the one with the Hello Kitty butt plug." Meanwhile they'd all be thinking something similar about me: "I wonder what Grim is going to do with all of that scythe lube; it does seem like an excessive amount."

In fact, now that I think of it, I'd pay a significant (for me) amount of money to avoid that situation.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »

I think the people who make money in direct marketing are either people with fantastic networks and few other delivery options who are able to avoid MLM schtick, or else MLM'ers who get in early on the ground floor so that everyone else is "downline". Aside from that it appears to me that the vast majority of money is in the "tools" sales, which is generally done through a separate company. That's who rakes in the green from all the mandatory conferences, tape of the week, and book of the month sales. A person could hit ER pretty well if they skipped any MLM involvement themselves and just focused on tools and motivational speeches.

I've always wondered how icky I would feel going this route. I have some family that swears by Primerica and the freedom it's given them (though I haven't noticed any overwhelming wealth and they all have multiple side-jobs going). I just can't imagine doing what they've done and charging to put people into overpriced insurance and mutual fund options. They've had multiple friends over the years simply "disappear" after huge falling outs and I think I know why..

That said, what kicked me into looking in to better investment options and eventually to MMM was when I inquired about money I'd invested from my first job at 13 and noticed MER's around 4%. Nothing like legally stealing money from a child (luckily it didn't sour me to investing altogether).

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »
1) Don't trust any revenue numbers from MLM members unless they show you their tax returns
2) They are taught to "fake it until they make it" meaning it is very likely the numbers they give you are inflated (if not completely false)
3) In general the numbers being shared are gross revenue, not counting personal expenses or cost of buying the product. In the same line of thoughts, an Amazon affiliate can tell you they shipped $300'000 worth of products in a year, not telling you they only get a 3% commission out of that number. My brother pretended he was doing $800 a month in an MLM. But he had to pay for more than $1000 in product (and kept pretending it was different because he would "buy it anyway"), so, you get the idea.
4) A very tiny percentage (1% or less) of people who "got in very early" do indeed make a lot of money. They do this by exploiting their bottom line, it's up to you to understand if your friend's SIL is lying to you or to hundreds of people, whichever is easier to believe.

It's totally possible to make $20K/month selling LulaRoe right now - it's crazy popular & they just got a 2 yr contract with Disney to sell Disney printed stuff - which is kind of like printing money. I don't really understand why people need so many pairs of leggings & their clothes are crazy expensive IMO. My sister has been a rep for ~8 months & has sold >$12K all but one month - when she was on vacation. Let's just say I've seen her bank account - if your sister-in-law's friend got in early & is actually good at selling + is probably a trainer which means she gets a cut of all the people under her, that number is totally doable, but also probably not long-term sustainable.

Not gonna lie though - I'm super jealous of my sister because at their last conference, the 2500 people who were there got to go to Disneyland for 4 hours after hours.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
Wow, this is bonkers.  MLMs don't seem to have infected my social circle yet. (Or maybe I just haven't noticed because I no longer use Facebook.) 

Reading this thread, the worst seems to be that these rip-off companies are parasitically infiltrating peoples' social groups.  The story about the lady throwing stealth MLM parties is just horrifying! It's so sad to me that people would choose the false dream of MLMs and their shoddy products over maintaining civil relationships with family, friends, and neighbors. 

If I met anyone who seemed into this, I might direct them to the "side hustle" thread here on the MMM forum instead.

P.S. A while back "This American Life" did a show on an MLM-type scheme called WakeUpNow. It was pretty fascinating: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/543/wake-up-now
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:30:46 PM by marble_faun »

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
It's totally possible to make $20K/month selling LulaRoe right now

the median annual bonus payments made to Eligible U.S. Independent Retailers at all ranks in 2016 was $525.94.
[...]
In 2016, 72.63% of U.S. Independent Retailers were Ineligible and therefore did not receive any bonus payments from LuLaRoe.
Source: official Lularoe income disclosure for 2016

Of course, if you can sell between 1000 and 2000 leggings a month, then yes... But I wouldn't qualify this as "totally possible"

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »

I had the sneak attack sex toy party happen to me. I was very unimpressed. I almost unfriended this "friend" afterwards on FB but chose to just unfollow instead. She's just invited me to her "birthday" party in a few weeks. I think I'll be very busy that night enjoying a quiet dinner and bottle of wine with my family at home. I just can't trust that it is actually a birthday party.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
I met a new neighbor, and right after exchanging pleasantries she immediately started in on the MLM nonsense. She has a Mary Kay business in case I'm interested in make up. Oh you don't wear makeup? That's okay she can do a skincare demo on me. It will only take 20 minutes, it will make my face feel great! Blah blah blah. Would NOT except "no" and just kept going on and on. who cares about building relationships with your neighbors when you could just use them to sell crap to?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!