Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639042 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »
In defense of LLR- their TC make amazing maternity leggings for me- the waist band is really comfortable.  But so do VIV collective on Amazon for half the price, though the waist band isn't as nice.  And the amazon ones are holding up better to washing. (I've been rotating 5 pairs of leggings for 2 months now, no real pants. LLR is not going to last much longer.)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2017, 09:47:16 AM »
Wine parties were pretty popular in my neighborhood for awhile.  The wine was ridiculously overpriced.  $25 was the low end bottle, and really no different from a $6 yellow tail.

The cost to host the party was a bit high, as you had to buy all the food- but the wine for the actual party was a good deal something like $50 for 6 bottles?  So we hosted one just as a way to have people over. It was fun. 

But I'm glad that trend is over, because now DH is back to buying in the $15 range, not the $40 range!

Yeah, I enjoyed the one wine party I went to since it was zero pressure and an excuse to have a get-together next door, but I like my $5.99 Riesling from Costco better!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
I don't have too much exposure to MLMs but have had a few people try to recruit me.  The recruitment method is SO scammy!  Most of the time, they won't say upfront what the product/business is.  One woman I went to school with, haven't seen in person in 10+ years, but we are friends on FB.  She messages me about how she has a "business opportunity".  She had been constantly talking up on FB various diet supplements she was taking to lose weight, but never actually disclosing the name of the supplements or the company, just "message me to find out more!".  Because I wasn't initially 100% sure this was an MLM thing (this was maybe 7 years ago, before everyone and their mother really seemed to be pushing MLMs all over FB), I messaged back and asked for more info.  I got a fairly vague response--no company name, no type of business, nothing.  Eventually I just told her I was too busy and fortunately haven't heard anything since.  She still posts about the various things she takes on FB and STILL never explicitly posts the name of the company.  After googling one of the product names in a picture she posted, I figured she is probably shilling for Amway.  But it's SO weird that she never just says "I use these great Amway products"!  I know another woman who sells Beachbody and it is the same thing.  She never explicitly mentions Shakeology (just "amazing superfoods shake") or workouts specific to Beachbody, but that's what she's selling.  Is this something MLMs specifically encourage?  It seems so shady to me.  If I am trying to recruit a friend to work at my company, I can tell them the name, the type of business, what the day to day nature of the job might be (or someone they can talk to to find out more), etc.
Beachbody coaches I know are pretty open about the products and what they are.  But there's definitely a "script".  Or many scripts.

The MLMs are fascinating.  I have friends who have rotated through them, trying to find the "magic one", I guess.

I know someone who has bounced around in real estate, business ownership, BB coach... she and her husband own a business (3 locations).  She's a BB coach but recently started working as a personal trainer again.  And now she's starting some sort of wine MLM/ online business thing.

The wine thing sort of aligns with their brick and mortar business...but she was showcasing a wine from Argentina.

Now. I've got nothing against Argentina. But we live in fucking Santa Barbara.  We have nearly unlimited options in local, good quality wine.  And if your budget leans more towards cheaper wine, then we have *3* Trader Joe's.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
Wine parties were pretty popular in my neighborhood for awhile.  The wine was ridiculously overpriced.  $25 was the low end bottle, and really no different from a $6 yellow tail.

The cost to host the party was a bit high, as you had to buy all the food- but the wine for the actual party was a good deal something like $50 for 6 bottles?  So we hosted one just as a way to have people over. It was fun. 

But I'm glad that trend is over, because now DH is back to buying in the $15 range, not the $40 range!

I'm so grateful my local grocery store has a kick-ass $10 selection. I bought one $25 bottle (Frog's Leap, worth it) as a gift at Christmas, but other than that I couldn't tell you the last time I spent more than $10 plus tax.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »
But then they would have to work for someone else and wouldn't "own their own business" and be a #girlboss

I absolutely hate the "own their own business" line with MLM.  Can you make major product and marketing decisions? No- you don't own the business.

Indeed. Also, most people shouldn't be entrepreneurs or self-employed.

A person can also be a #boyboss or #girlboss or #infantboss (is it me or do the same people who like MLMs enjoy describing themselves in infantile terms?) while doing freelance writing or photography, or while operating a dog-walking service. It doesn't require massive up-front costs.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »
[quote author=TheGrimSqueaker link=topic=70285.msg1483731#msg1483731
Indeed. Also, most people shouldn't be entrepreneurs or self-employed.

A person can also be a #boyboss or #girlboss or #infantboss (is it me or do the same people who like MLMs enjoy describing themselves in infantile terms?) while doing freelance writing or photography, or while operating a dog-walking service. It doesn't require massive up-front costs.
[/quote]

I have an extended family member who sells Rodan & Fields - they refer to themselves as MoMtrepreneurs.  Barf.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
I have a ton of school-mates on FB who cover the spectrum of every single MLM mentioned here, and probably a few more that aren't listed.  It's incredible.  I do see that it's exclusively the stay at home mom set that attempts these strategies, and it makes be sad to see soo many of them fall victim to these scams.  In many cases, these people are struggling, and they make those struggles public on their page all the time.  I noticed one who just yesterday posted a reminder of her LuLaRoe party coming up today, and seeing what y'all have written about the startup costs, I can only imagine that there is some sort of financing that makes even more money to the company, and puts these people who can least afford it in even more debt.  This particular mom often complains about the lack of heat and various other problems in her apartment, does the side hustle on occasion of being a blackjack dealer at private parties at very off hours, and has two children with some medical issues that her hubby's insurance doesn't do a great job of covering the cost.  Yup, a whole lot of "poor me" in those posts, and now an MLM?  Scary and Sad.

I have a neighbor who is all about Plexus and "Think Pink".  She often tells these stories of how much weight she's lost (looks the same to me), and how her OB/GYN was thrilled to learn that she's drinking Plexus while pregnant!  Yeah, I highly doubt that.  Finances have always been tight in the 2 years that she's moved to our reasonably priced neighborhood, but I'm guessing that someone who buys a $200K house and has a $2K mortgage payment probably had no down payment and horrible credit.  Now that baby #2 is on the way, they've listed the house for an inflated amount, and the plan is to go back to renting.

However, my all time favorite post from her about Plexus is the attached file.  She freely admits that she is at the Ambassador level, and talks about how much $$ she's adding to her HHI, yet this chart disputes her claims, not to mention how biased the chart is, someone did some creative work on that thing!  I'm also wondering if the Plexus training program explained to her that this isn't the type of thing you should be posting.  I resisted the urge to make any comments, but this shows how clueless she is about the whole thing...

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
If I have to buy something-i.e. put money in your hand to maintain our relationship, that's not friendship that's prostitution.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »
I have that Plexus graph on my wall at work. I keep a "bad bar graph wall of shame".  WTH is the scale on that thing!

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
I have that Plexus graph on my wall at work. I keep a "bad bar graph wall of shame".  WTH is the scale on that thing!

I feel like someone made some boxes in PowerPoint and put it together that way.  Seriously misleading scale.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »

Looks like maybe a log scale of some sort. I tried making a bar chart in Excel with the log of each number and it came out pretty close.

MJM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2017, 12:36:35 PM »
MLM friendship destroyed: My wife's friend was pushing hard to have her both buy her product (face creams etc) and become a rep. She told her how much money she can make yadayada, and she sent her some samples to try out. She started getting more aggressive and my wife finally told her flat out that she wasn't interested. Then the MLM gal got pissy and demanded that my wife return the samples! She wanted the samples that had sat on our bathroom counter back to give to others! I'll bet the stuff was used before us too... My wife said that if she sent her return postage she would drop it off in the mail, but that she wouldn't wait at the post office and pay for postage/box. The MLM gal replied by saying it wasn't worth her time or money to provide postage (but it was fine if we did apparently), she deleted my wife from facebook etc, and probably went on to live a terrible existence alone without any friends.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
If I have to buy something-i.e. put money in your hand to maintain our relationship, that's not friendship that's prostitution.

Or a purely business relationship that isn't actually a friendship. I'm still stealing this line.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
I must be the only person on the forums who's exposed to these but not bothered.  I've been to a few MLM parties in my life and felt no pressure to buy anything.  I have a SIL who sells Mary Kay and another who sold Tupperware; we socialize with no mention of the business.  Occasionally I buy a lipstick.  It's really not a big deal at all.

Maybe it's because both these SILs sell as a side gig to their real jobs. Neither of them preaches the MLM gospel because neither of them believes it herself. I think for them it's mainly a way to get the product for herself at a discount.
The main reason that everyone mentioned for being bothered was the pressure to buy. If you've never been pressured, it would make sense that you aren't bothered by it. I mentioned something similar in my post. The issue is that many of these companies advocate or require preying on friends and family. Which is generally a turn off.

When a family member tells me "it really works" I expect them to tell me the truth.  I was shocked when my sister-in-law told me some face cream "really worked" and then found out she had boxes stacked in her living room that she had to get rid of.  I will never trust anything she says again.  If she had just asked me for money, I would have felt better about the whole thing.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »
However, my all time favorite post from her about Plexus is the attached file.  She freely admits that she is at the Ambassador level, and talks about how much $$ she's adding to her HHI, yet this chart disputes her claims, not to mention how biased the chart is, someone did some creative work on that thing!

If I understand this graph correctly, they are freely admitting that 99.4% of their ambassadors are making less than the USA per capita income.  That doesn't sound like a bragging point to me.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »
I think the percentage below the $400 bar is plenty

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
However, my all time favorite post from her about Plexus is the attached file.  She freely admits that she is at the Ambassador level, and talks about how much $$ she's adding to her HHI, yet this chart disputes her claims, not to mention how biased the chart is, someone did some creative work on that thing!

If I understand this graph correctly, they are freely admitting that 99.4% of their ambassadors are making less than the USA per capita income.  That doesn't sound like a bragging point to me.
But! Half the bars are taller than the US per capita income! That's got to be good!

Hell, 88% are making less than $500. I could do that in a 4 nights of high demand babysitting!  (Black Friday- day, New Years-night, Valentine's Day-night, College Town Rivalry-day football game- $500 earned easy.)  Seems a lot easier than MLM shilling.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
Thankfully i don't recognize most of these MLMs.  i live a shielded life I guess.

I did know a guy at my last job who pushed Amway.  It was a 1000+ employee site and I understand that he had recruited at least 8 or so co-workers who were pushing the same stuff below him.

He was always bragging on how it was just a matter of time before he'd be leaving work in a limousine and kicking back on easy street for the rest of his life.

Well we got hit with a first layoff, and then rounds of layoffs afterwards.  His audience began dwindling fast and he became desperate to prove that the Amway was the right way for all his sucker followers.

We must have been down to half the employees when he showed up one day in a tuxedo! and quit.  He also rented a limo to pick him up at the front lobby and hammed it up as he drove away.

It was quite the spectacle.  I couldn't help but laugh and shake my head.  Most people didn't know what the heck was going on.

Within the year he was back on Linked-In scrounging for jobs.  Apparently, Amway wasn't the gravy train he promised us all it would be.  Bummer about the limo/tuxedo rental costs though.  Just weird and embarrassing all-around.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
FTFY: the Plexus graphs, scaled.

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »
FTFY: the Plexus graphs, scaled.

Amazing.

I think people get drawn into the concept of "passive income". When in reality, for most people who do MLMs, they never see that level of it.

The mom I know who sells Usborne books seems to be at quite a high level. Goes to international conferences and all that jazz. And seems more interested in recruiting now than selling books. Once I ask how much commission reps make on the books, and it's usually about 20%. And most books are under $16. Umm, doesn't seem like a great return. No wonder you need to get a team under you.

I should add that I am all for working for yourself - I have a side hustle Etsy shop, and it's great. I made over $12,000 last year profit. And am proud I did it without scamming anyone or shilling crap.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
I love all of you!  Now if only we can submit those real charts and the John Oliver video to all those duped into MLM, maybe then they will get it!  On second hand, no, logic and numbers will not sway some people.  But I still love all y'all for seeing that Plexus chart for what it is, a load of crap!  If you lived near Austin, TX, we'd hang out a lot.  :)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
I have a ton of school-mates on FB who cover the spectrum of every single MLM mentioned here, and probably a few more that aren't listed.  It's incredible.  I do see that it's exclusively the stay at home mom set that attempts these strategies, and it makes be sad to see soo many of them fall victim to these scams.  In many cases, these people are struggling, and they make those struggles public on their page all the time.  I noticed one who just yesterday posted a reminder of her LuLaRoe party coming up today, and seeing what y'all have written about the startup costs, I can only imagine that there is some sort of financing that makes even more money to the company, and puts these people who can least afford it in even more debt.  This particular mom often complains about the lack of heat and various other problems in her apartment, does the side hustle on occasion of being a blackjack dealer at private parties at very off hours, and has two children with some medical issues that her hubby's insurance doesn't do a great job of covering the cost.  Yup, a whole lot of "poor me" in those posts, and now an MLM?  Scary and Sad.

I have a neighbor who is all about Plexus and "Think Pink".  She often tells these stories of how much weight she's lost (looks the same to me), and how her OB/GYN was thrilled to learn that she's drinking Plexus while pregnant!  Yeah, I highly doubt that.  Finances have always been tight in the 2 years that she's moved to our reasonably priced neighborhood, but I'm guessing that someone who buys a $200K house and has a $2K mortgage payment probably had no down payment and horrible credit.  Now that baby #2 is on the way, they've listed the house for an inflated amount, and the plan is to go back to renting.

However, my all time favorite post from her about Plexus is the attached file.  She freely admits that she is at the Ambassador level, and talks about how much $$ she's adding to her HHI, yet this chart disputes her claims, not to mention how biased the chart is, someone did some creative work on that thing!  I'm also wondering if the Plexus training program explained to her that this isn't the type of thing you should be posting.  I resisted the urge to make any comments, but this shows how clueless she is about the whole thing...

My brain broke on that one...  88% is the first bar, and then everything else is much lower...   What scale are they showing-- that $28k average income is nearly the same as $119k income, and about 2-3x $446 income?

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »
That Plexus graph is breathtaking. Just breathtaking.

To top it all off, the scale lines aren't even evenly spaced!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »
I think one of the most frustrating things about MLMs to me is that I feel like they are siphoning away the 'true american entrepreneurial spirit'. Where are the babysitting side hustles, and etsy stores, and doing your OWN drop shipping type companies? MLMs aren’t actually self employment, they’re just scalping away the people who WOULD do stuff like that. And it makes other people more gun shy on starting authentic side hustles, because they don't want to be lumped in with the MLM "dirty hustle" feeling- the high pressure sales pitch crap.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
The Plexus graph has changed a little since it was posted here. Here is the new graph from their website.

See it in the wild here: https://media.plexusworldwide.com/cdn/FINAL-2015-Income-Disclosure-Statement.pdf

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
Ha WOW! From their own website- 90% of the sellers make less than $2,500.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »
The Plexus graph has changed a little since it was posted here. Here is the new graph from their website.

See it in the wild here: https://media.plexusworldwide.com/cdn/FINAL-2015-Income-Disclosure-Statement.pdf

Following your 'in the wild' link: it's even worse than this graph shows...  There is a level of 'Associate' that is below even $446 in annual income.  The associate already paid an annual fee, but did not yet set up an automatic order for monthly product (required to become an 'ambassador').

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »
The Emerald, Sapphire, and Diamond levels make good money though! I wonder how many are in those groups who did not become an Ambassador within the first 2-3 years of the start of the company or were among the first Ambassadors in their area?  I bet they don't want you to know that!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
The Emerald, Sapphire, and Diamond levels make good money though! I wonder how many are in those groups who did not become an Ambassador within the first 2-3 years of the start of the company or were among the first Ambassadors in their area?  I bet they don't want you to know that!

If my math is right, for every $1 Million in income paid out, total, there are fewer than 20 persons making over $30k per year, and 2300 reps with auto orders making $5000 or per year (most at $200 to $400 per year).   

There are 2 customers for ever rep, on average, too.  But I bet the reps with auto orders are the lion's share of the purchasers.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

Does anyone know if Avon is an MLM?  I don't think it is.

The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article about Avon in today's edition. https://www.wsj.com/articles/avon-ladies-backed-by-private-equity-aim-to-reconquer-middle-america-1490107605

They compare it to direct sellers such as Herbalife, but I'm with pachnik - I don't think building a downline is their focus.  I've met a lot of "Avon ladies" over the years, and none have ever tried to recruit me.  They actually seemed territorial, like they didn't want any competition in the neighborhood! 

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2017, 06:08:25 PM »
Because I find MLM morbidly fascinating and my kiddo took an extra long nap today, I fell down a rabbit hole of LuLaRoe horror stories on Google today and found this:

http://www.mommygyver.com/single-post/2017/03/16/LuLaBullies-and-Consultant-Cannibalism

The blogger has several other posts with her and others' experiences that make me concerned for my friend who sells the stuff. I had figured she was doing well enough with it since she seems to make a lot of sales and is always getting new merchandise in but I sincerely hope she isn't going into debt for it. :-/

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
I had figured she was doing well enough with it since she seems to make a lot of sales and is always getting new merchandise in but I sincerely hope she isn't going into debt for it. :-/

Being your own best customer is certainly not unheard of in these things.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
My neighbor just got into LuLaRoe and is already totally despondent. It cost 10k to buy in and she was on the wait list for months for an opening. Now that she's in, she's discovered how hard it is, how little support she gets from the mothership, and how disorganized and poorly run that mothership is. She was in tears over the 10k that she's now positive will be a loss.

I just told her I was sorry, but in my head I was thinking, "Yeah, you really would have been better off starting a side hustle on your home computer for no money and working to build something of your own."

LuLaRoe is breaking wide open lately. Leggings falling apart, the Morman sisterhood shunning consultants who say anything remotely negative or question the LLR gospel, illegal tax charging in the US, stock issues, fugly patterns.... I do have two pairs of their leggings and one shirt from before the quality went downhill. The idea of actually becoming a consultant and forking over $10k is insane. Now there are spin-off companies started by other people from the main family - Honey & Lace and Agnes & Dora. This is how these pyramid schemers get away with it, they set up fall-back plans and jump ship once sh*t really hits the fan. There are going to be so many LLR consultants in debt once the dust settles. I feel so bad for them all, but really, no one forced them to sign up. Sure people made false promises that preyed on their hopes. But our society needs to develop critical thinking skills and not poor-me all over life.

I have few pairs of LLR leggings, and I admit to loving them.  I refused to even consider buying another pair when they started charging me income tax.  I am on on overseas military base, and I don't pay sales tax via an online retailers, because there is no state sales tax since I'm not in a state. 

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
Because I find MLM morbidly fascinating and my kiddo took an extra long nap today, I fell down a rabbit hole of LuLaRoe horror stories on Google today and found this:

http://www.mommygyver.com/single-post/2017/03/16/LuLaBullies-and-Consultant-Cannibalism

The blogger has several other posts with her and others' experiences that make me concerned for my friend who sells the stuff. I had figured she was doing well enough with it since she seems to make a lot of sales and is always getting new merchandise in but I sincerely hope she isn't going into debt for it. :-/

Well, your friend could join the 355 on Go Fund Me asking for money to help fund their LuLaRoe consultant business: https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=category&term=lularoe

I just... there are no words.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »

Well, your friend could join the 355 on Go Fund Me asking for money to help fund their LuLaRoe consultant business: https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=category&term=lularoe

I just... there are no words.

I clicked your link, thinking I'd like to see what kind of a moron person would start a Go Fund Me to give to LuLaRoe. THERE ARE 357 MORONS PEOPLE LIKE THIS!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »
Our neighbour, who my BF was friends with, started selling essential oils in the past few months. When she started posting on Facebook that some combination of essential oils could help cure your cold this season, my BF sent her message stating that it was dangerous to make unsubstantiated medical claims because it could cost the health of an innocent child if an easily influenced mother used essential oils to treat her child instead of seeing a doctor, for example. Lets just say the relationship has sort of deteriorated since then. The neighbour claims that my BF is doing this on purpose to be an asshole, but he just can't justify encouraging someone who goes so against every scientific fibre of his very being. I've never been close to her for the same reason. It's unfortunate since we cross paths almost daily, but meh, what are ya gonna do.
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3947694

Is this why your BF gets angry? Treating children with herbal supplements will land you in jail. It was pretty major news in Canada, the preventable death of a 2 year old child who needed antibiotics instead of supplements.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »
Our neighbour, who my BF was friends with, started selling essential oils in the past few months. When she started posting on Facebook that some combination of essential oils could help cure your cold this season, my BF sent her message stating that it was dangerous to make unsubstantiated medical claims because it could cost the health of an innocent child if an easily influenced mother used essential oils to treat her child instead of seeing a doctor, for example. Lets just say the relationship has sort of deteriorated since then. The neighbour claims that my BF is doing this on purpose to be an asshole, but he just can't justify encouraging someone who goes so against every scientific fibre of his very being. I've never been close to her for the same reason. It's unfortunate since we cross paths almost daily, but meh, what are ya gonna do.
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3947694

Is this why your BF gets angry? Treating children with herbal supplements will land you in jail. It was pretty major news in Canada, the preventable death of a 2 year old child who needed antibiotics instead of supplements.

Horrible parents and their stupid beliefs in holistic healings. Yes, there are plenty of natural remedies for simple aches, pains and symptoms but why would anyone gamble with their kid's life?

Sorry but not one of them deserves to live wile their kids suffer due to their stupidity.
Yes, this is exactly why we both get angry. Because what an idiotic adult does with his/her own body is up to him/her. But as soon as a person's choices effect someone who cannot defend themselves, THAT'S when I take issue with it. And encouraging these things by selling woofuckery and essential oils is ethically reprehensible. Our neighbour lost our respect when she started doing this.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »
This just appeared on my Facebook feed from an MLM friend:

When demand is smaller than the supply, you work harder so you can increase the supply yourself and then in return it helps others out at the same time!
#workinghardtobuymoreandsharewithothers #ifyoucandreamityoucandoit #theresponsehasbeenoverwhelming #faithtrustpixiedust #lovehelpingothersdreamscometrue #icantwaitimaddictedanditsexcitingtohelp #iworkhardtoblessothersinsomanyways

I can't even.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »
My brother got hooked into an MLM and tried to recruit me a few weeks ago. I feel powerless as I don't know what I can do to get him out of there.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »

When demand is smaller than the supply, you work harder so you can increase the supply yourself and then in return it helps others out at the same time!
#workinghardtobuymoreandsharewithothers #ifyoucandreamityoucandoit #theresponsehasbeenoverwhelming #faithtrustpixiedust #lovehelpingothersdreamscometrue #icantwaitimaddictedanditsexcitingtohelp #iworkhardtoblessothersinsomanyways

I can't even.

Did I read that right -- when supply exceeds demand, you work harder to increase the supply *that no one wants in the first place*?

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »

I can't even.

Did I read that right -- when supply exceeds demand, you work harder to increase the supply *that no one wants in the first place*?

That's how I read it too... and the hashtags are painful.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »

I can't even.

That's how I read it too... and the hashtags are painful.

Ohhh I don't know....#faithtrustpixiedust might be the best thing I have read on the internet today.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
Quickly reading the hashtags... this is what I thought one said:

#icantwaitimaddictedanditsexcitingtohelp
I can't wait i'm addicted and sex is exciting....

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2017, 06:05:39 PM »

As an accountant, I always think it is amusing when they quote income vs. net income.  I believe that they are talking about revenue vs. profits.  One of my partners showed up to a MLM event where the main guy was talking about how he made over a million last year.  He did the guys taxes and went back and checked his taxable income was around a $100k and he was the main guy for Washington State.  So lots of exaggerations and use of income when most people think of that as how much you made vs. revenue before product costs, business expenses, etc.

On a side note, my wife would go to a number of these MLM scams each year with her girlfriends.  She claimed it was about the socializing.  I said, "Why don't you just have a dinner party and enjoy your friends"  She has been doing more of the dinner party events and her other girlfriends have been having more at home socializing. I was also pushing a party where everyone brings their favorite bottle of wine and talks about it.  Then you do a Secret Santa type thing where people get to pick, steal, and bring home a bottle of wine that they have not tried.  I figured it would be like a MLM where you are excited to bring something home.  The fact that you brought a bottle is the same as if you brought your wallet and bought some overpriced MLM item.       

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »

I can't even.

I think she meant she was going to increase demand by buying stuff from her own MLM. But the fallacy of either interpretation made me want to smash my head into the glass covering my Economics degree diploma. I feel like I died a little bit when I read it.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2017, 03:29:14 AM »

I can't even.

I think she meant she was going to increase demand by buying stuff from her own MLM. But the fallacy of either interpretation made me want to smash my head into the glass covering my Economics degree diploma. I feel like I died a little bit when I read it.

I only studied economics in high school, but I find it pretty painful as well. Maybe I should show the John Oliver MLM clip during my comedy unit this year. If only he didn't cuss so much... I'll have to keep my hand on the volume control the entire time.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
I only studied economics in high school, but I find it pretty painful as well. Maybe I should show the John Oliver MLM clip during my comedy unit this year. If only he didn't cuss so much... I'll have to keep my hand on the volume control the entire time.

Maybe make your own edited version? There's a lot of free video editing software, wouldn't be hard to bleep out some cuss words.

lchu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2017, 08:49:59 AM »
I had a former coworker that I hadn't heard from in 5-6 years send a text to ask if I wanted to host a Pure Romance (women's sex toys) party.  Talk about an MLM that's a hard sell...

Anyway, this text was so ultra generic (one of the pre-made picture ads, no inclusion of my name or the seller's name, nothing to indicate how I should have known who the seller was), I thought it was a marketing spam text and replied "unsubscribe".  Hadn't heard from this woman in so long, I didn't have her number saved and didn't recognize it.  Unfortunately, instead of a laugh and a "thanks-but-no-thanks-and-good-luck" exchange, I got treated to a mini-lecture about how sending "unsubscribe" back was being rude to a friend that sent me a personal birthday message and while it was okay to not be interested, it wasn't okay to belittle someone who is just trying to grow her business.  It was really jarring -- the only time I've heard from you is when you want to sell me something I'm not interested in buying, and you're somehow offended during this exchange?  Really?!

Easy end to the story -- I blocked her number and parted ways with her on social media.  Even so, I still stayed irrationally angry about the whole situation for days afterwards.

The issue is that many of these companies advocate or require preying on friends and family. Which is generally a turn off.

This, right here.

There's an emotional piece that makes the MLM sales strategies work -- you're more willing to let a friend or family member make the sales pitch (which is half the battle of making the sale) because it's someone you know and trust.  Then, at the end of the pitch, the moderate-to-high pressure tactics are more effective because you're reluctant to sour a family, work, or friend relationship with someone you might continue to see for decades.  If you're geared to avoid emotional conflict or social anxiety, chances are high you'll buy to avoid having to say no to this person.

But I also think that's what makes it feel so violating.  I feel like anybody who knows me well should know how I feel about MLM companies and should have a pretty good idea that I'm not buying.  So, when I get approached by someone I feel should know that about me, I feel like the MLM company turned someone I trusted into an undercover enemy.  Even though I'm still going to say no, I don't view our friendship the same way any more, and that sucks.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
was being rude to a friend that sent me a personal birthday message and while it was okay to not be interested, it wasn't okay to belittle someone who is just trying to grow her business.

If you have to shamelessly send unsolicited advertisements to your friends to "grow your business" - it won't.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »

I can't even.

Surely they meant you work harder to increase the demand?!  Right? By getting out there and selling?  Right?!

This thread has been so fun.  I HATE the #girlboss thing, the "entrepreneur" thing, calling themselves "CEOs".  REALLY?  You're a CEO?  In a company of 1?

Especially as a person who actually has built a (tiny) business... ugh!  How are these people this stupid.

I actually follow a beachbody coach and a few of her uplines on fb for much the same reason I read this thread.  Because it's so embarrassingly entertaining. 

I looked at the lularoe gofundme page and clicked on a sad mom who is a nurse (?!?!?) and her son has autism so she needs money to start her own lularoe business?!  Omg this poor woman.  I just can't even.  Don't nurses make good money?  Can't she pick up extra shifts?  So sad, just so sad that these people think shelling out $8000 is going to save them.  How is anyone going to sell $8000 in leggings?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!