Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639073 times)

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #900 on: September 21, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
Ha! That reminds me of a screenshot I saw years ago, of the first version of a newspaper obituary for an unpopular person. It contained the line [Insert positive quote here].

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #901 on: October 08, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
I just got an invite from a friend to attend a "meal prep party." Oh cool, I think, here's a chance to hang out with friends while doing a chore I hate, maybe share some good recipes, take advantage of bulk buying, etc.

Nope. It's a Wildtree party.

For a mere $60, you will make 10 "freezer meals," which seemed like an OK deal. And then I read on. You still have to supply your own main ingredients (meats, veggies, etc) and packaging and pretty much everything except some spices and sauces. "Simply purchase produce and proteins from your local store or farmers market, then whip up a quick and easy meal from fresh that your family can enjoy together, even when you're short on time!"

You're expected to show up with all of these items already prepped (chicken chopped, peppers diced, etc.) So you do the shitty part of meal prepping all alone. Then you schlep all of your prepared groceries over to the host's house to buy and mix-in individual meal-sized packages of sauces and spice mixes.

I hopped on the website to figure out what was actually included in the purchase. In one example, you get a shopping list, recipes, four kinds of seasoning, a small bottle of grapeseed oil, and nothing else. For $55.

I just can't even wrap my head around this one.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #902 on: October 08, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
I just got an invite from a friend to attend a "meal prep party." Oh cool, I think, here's a chance to hang out with friends while doing a chore I hate, maybe share some good recipes, take advantage of bulk buying, etc.

For a mere $60, you will make 10 "freezer meals," which seemed like an OK deal. And then I read on. You still have to supply your own main ingredients (meats, veggies, etc) and packaging and pretty much everything except some spices and sauces. "Simply purchase produce and proteins from your local store or farmers market, then whip up a quick and easy meal from fresh that your family can enjoy together, even when you're short on time!"

You're expected to show up with all of these items already prepped (chicken chopped, peppers diced, etc.) So you do the shitty part of meal prepping all alone. Then you schlep all of your prepared groceries over to the host's house to buy and mix-in individual meal-sized packages of sauces and spice mixes.

I hopped on the website to figure out what was actually included in the purchase. In one example, you get a shopping list, recipes, four kinds of seasoning, a small bottle of grapeseed oil, and nothing else. For $55.

That is an abomination. Woe to this God-forsaken MLM.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #903 on: October 08, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »

That is an abomination. Woe to this God-forsaken MLM.

Yup, my wife got sucked into one of these.  $55 gets you the spices and the "experience".  Such a terrible MLM... recipes aren't even that good.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #904 on: October 08, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »

God damn, I'm scratching my head wondering what kind of people would this even appeal to? Not frugal people who are into meal prep for budget benefits. Not lazy people who want to eat healthier for low effort, because it's almost as much work as just doing everything yourself. Not people who just don't know anything about food/cooking and are trying to learn, because the shopping list seems to require some base knowledge already, since you're shopping for base ingredients and not things in boxes, and you have to do a lot of preparation work in advance.

Maybe people who want to do it for socializing?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #905 on: October 08, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »

God damn, I'm scratching my head wondering what kind of people would this even appeal to? Not frugal people who are into meal prep for budget benefits. Not lazy people who want to eat healthier for low effort, because it's almost as much work as just doing everything yourself. Not people who just don't know anything about food/cooking and are trying to learn, because the shopping list seems to require some base knowledge already, since you're shopping for base ingredients and not things in boxes, and you have to do a lot of preparation work in advance.

It's a head scratcher for sure.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #906 on: October 08, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »

That's the only advantage I can see. I guess you also get wine and snacks at the party. The meager comments on the event say things like "Should be a good way to force myself to prep." Heck, for $40, I would happily call you up and harass you about prepping meals and send you a grocery list. What a steal!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #907 on: October 08, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
I do think that they've hit on one good idea, though: a meal prep party. If I was into meal prepping and had like-minded friends, that could be a really good time. Everyone brings a recipe, group trip to Costco to buy ingredients in bulk, come home, do the chopping etc all together with wine and snacks and music, and everyone leaves with a variety of prepped meals.

Unfortunately, I'm not the cook in my house, and he prefers to cook every day because it's relaxing for him. (I know, he's weird.) Plus I don't know any friends who prep meals.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #908 on: October 08, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Yeah, I thought that was a great idea!

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #909 on: October 09, 2018, 08:42:11 AM »
@sparkytheop - I'm in the same group.  Quite the sh*t Show!

What group is it? I want to join it!

One of my friends started posting about her weight loss progress. She was making great progress and her posts were interesting and encouraging. Then they started take on that weird MLM tone - lots of emojis; unnaturally formatted; language and tone that didn't really sound like her; calls to contact her in private message to learn more about her journey. She quit her job and became a "health coach." But she never mentioned an MLM. She started posting other people's Before And After photos and I finally was able to spot the tiny watermark for the weight loss MLM she's shilling for. It's just disappointing. I'm happy for her success, and I used to like her posts, but now I just want to hide her posts. I think that intentionally pretending you're not shilling for an MLM is the height of dishonesty. "Well, I know no one wants to buy into my MLM, so I'll pretend I'm not representing an MLM and then trick them into joining my MLM!"

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #910 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:52 AM »
There was a (brick and mortar) business in our area that used to host meal prep parties.   You booked by the spot, but could book a party of up to 40.  They provided everything. You'd go station to station, prepare each meal (everything was pre-cut; it was more portion and pour), drink wine, chat etc.  The cost was about $5-6 per serving.

They changed their model after about 2 years. People didn't want to do the prepping. Now for about $4 per serving ($7 gluten free), monthly you can pick up pre-packaged freezer meals.

We used them after my husband got hit by a car. The food was decent, and it was easy.

But that much money to go to a party that only provides spices? That I still have to do all the grocery shopping for.  No effing way, that's insane.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #911 on: October 09, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »

It sounds like more work than doing it on your own: you schlepp the groceries home, then put them back into bags to take someplace else, then schlepp them home again?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #912 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »

It sounds like more work than doing it on your own: you schlepp the groceries home, then put them back into bags to take someplace else, then schlepp them home again?
Yeah. This sounds like the worst party ever. I'd rather stay home alone chopping up soup veggies than go through all that.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #913 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
I fell into Amway hole around 2012. I was new to the area. Someone greeted me while shopping at Walmart and told my face is very familiar and had some conversations. In short, he got my phone number, called me a few days after and told there is a side gig and if I wanted to work on it.

I remember I had only $300 in my account at that time. I said yes, he took me to some meeting that had people in suits. They had music, motivational talk...bla...bla...bla...I was brainwashed (or I was naive) and ended up signing up for it. After 2 months of horrifying experience, finally came out of it. They asked me to go and meet random people at Walmart and exchange phone numbers. Asked us to call those people on Sundays and convince them to attend meetings.

Not only that, they asked me to contact my friends & friends of friends circle and convince them. It was one of the worst mistakes of my life.

I never knew such crude and selfish people existed. I'm allergic to Amway since then.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #914 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »
Poking around our town Facebook page, I discovered there was a vendor fair coming up for the elementary school PTO.  My initial thoughts were, "I don't need anything, but I wonder what local companies will be there." I should have known better...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #915 on: October 09, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »

One of my friends started posting about her weight loss progress. She was making great progress and her posts were interesting and encouraging. Then they started take on that weird MLM tone - lots of emojis; unnaturally formatted; language and tone that didn't really sound like her; calls to contact her in private message to learn more about her journey. She quit her job and became a "health coach." But she never mentioned an MLM. She started posting other people's Before And After photos and I finally was able to spot the tiny watermark for the weight loss MLM she's shilling for. It's just disappointing. I'm happy for her success, and I used to like her posts, but now I just want to hide her posts. I think that intentionally pretending you're not shilling for an MLM is the height of dishonesty. "Well, I know no one wants to buy into my MLM, so I'll pretend I'm not representing an MLM and then trick them into joining my MLM!"

This is pretty common, actually.

I do Beachbody (meaning, I use their products).  I have their $99/year streaming service.  I've done a few of their workouts start to finish.  I think they are great and it's awesome that when my spouse is traveling, I can pull up yoga or weightlifting or whatever I feel like doing that day because I'm stuck with the kids.

So.  Being that I started with 21 day fix in 2014, I know a lot of other beachbody people online and in real life.  And I've seen the transition that many of them go through.  The thing is - it's pretty awesome when you find something that works for you.  For me, it was losing the 2nd baby weight when counting calories didn't work, and weight watchers didn't work, but finally - I found something!  It's exciting, and you share it.

But then ... whomever you bought the workout program from is a "coach".  And they make money when you buy something from them or are signed up under them.  And then you have a "team" with several people, and you start having special workout challenges.  I know so many of them now that I recognize the canned invites and notice that they never mention them by name - but "PM me for details!"

Some of these coaches do it for a living, meaning they are actually certified trainers and coaches, and it's a way to make a little more dough.  Some of these people are just really nice people who want to help others get healthy - they found something that they liked and worked for them, and they are enthusiastic.  If they can make a little dough, great, but it's not their primary goal.  But for some they really want to make it their day job.

Thing is that transition can be really awkward.  I have a good friend who has been into Beachbody for about a year now and she keeps asking me to move over to her team and ... I mean why?  I'm happy to be encouraging and help out your new buddies with meal prep tips and my favorite workout recommendations.  But I'm also fine over here paying my $99 a year fee for the online workouts.  I can't drink the shakes anymore (did the first couple of years) - they disagree with my digestion. 

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #916 on: October 09, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »
If there are any podcast listeners here, there's a really great new podcast out called "The Dream."  It delves into the history of MLMs in a really fascinating way. I'm learning a lot and gaining a new perspective on the whole phenomenon.  The most recent episode is about the connections between mid-20th-century MLMs and the New Thought movement. Highly recommended listening!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #917 on: October 09, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
I fell into Amway hole around 2012. I was new to the area. Someone greeted me while shopping at Walmart and told my face is very familiar and had some conversations. In short, he got my phone number, called me a few days after and told there is a side gig and if I wanted to work on it.

I remember I had only $300 in my account at that time. I said yes, he took me to some meeting that had people in suits. They had music, motivational talk...bla...bla...bla...I was brainwashed (or I was naive) and ended up signing up for it. After 2 months of horrifying experience, finally came out of it. They asked me to go and meet random people at Walmart and exchange phone numbers. Asked us to call those people on Sundays and convince them to attend meetings.

Not only that, they asked me to contact my friends & friends of friends circle and convince them. It was one of the worst mistakes of my life.

I never knew such crude and selfish people existed. I'm allergic to Amway since then.

Oh yeah, Amway people are awful. Husband and I got tricked into meeting another couple (friends of our friend) for what we thought was a coffee date with potential new friends. Instead, they spent 2 hours pitching Amway to us. We got out by promising to consider it, told them we weren’t interested when they called us later, and never heard from them again. Good riddance.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #918 on: October 10, 2018, 01:01:36 AM »
MLM..."Makes Life Miserable".

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #919 on: October 10, 2018, 04:13:02 AM »

Oh yeah, Amway people are awful. Husband and I got tricked into meeting another couple (friends of our friend) for what we thought was a coffee date with potential new friends. Instead, they spent 2 hours pitching Amway to us. We got out by promising to consider it, told them we weren’t interested when they called us later, and never heard from them again. Good riddance.
I grew up in Amway land. It is truly awful how deceptive people can be in trying to trick you into hearing your sales pitch. My parents had it happen to them a couple times and even I suffered through a "let's meet for coffee" thing with a colleague early in my career.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #920 on: October 10, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »

I can't take credit for it, but last week I saw someone call it "Moms Lying to Moms".  Truth...

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: October 10, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »

There's two I'm in right now:
Sounds like MLM but OK
LuLaRoe Defective/Ripped/Torn Leggings and Clothes

The second one in particular is soap opera level drama.  It's only a matter of time before LLR goes bankrupt...

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #922 on: October 10, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
Poking around our town Facebook page, I discovered there was a vendor fair coming up for the elementary school PTO.  My initial thoughts were, "I don't need anything, but I wonder what local companies will be there." I should have known better...

I've seen this trend  happening with several small town events. Went to see fireworks put on by the local fire department where they sell food to raise funds and sell table space for vendors. It used to be homemade crafts and art, now it's mostly MLM's. That was kinda depressing.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #923 on: October 10, 2018, 10:14:30 AM »

I can't take credit for it, but last week I saw someone call it "Moms Lying to Moms".  Truth...

also "Most Lose Money"

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #924 on: October 10, 2018, 10:19:09 AM »
I've wasted an enormous amount of time on these Facebook groups since this morning, because the trainwreck that is MLM posts is too great to look away from.

But it all reminded me of an MLM invite I received from a friend I went to Grad School with. I wanted to go back and look at it, because I couldn't remember what the product was.

It was better than I remembered. I received it after my very first tax season as a business owner. So keep in mind that at the point I received this message, I was building an accounting firm:

Hey NAME...did you survive tax season?!  That's a huge accomplishment if you did!  So now that tax season is semi-over, I wanted to ask you if you ever keep your options open for making additional income?  I have a home based business and you know as an accountant what a huge tax writeoff you can have from that type of business.  I'd love to share with you a short video clip or phone recording if you are open to at least hearing about it!

Ok, so... Let's pause here for a moment. I'm just a CPA specializing in tax, but if my MLM is a huge tax write off, that means I'm losing money, right? Right???

I told her thanks and I'd look at her video. God knows why. But that means I still have the link!!

So glad you survived and I bet you're relieved.  Here is the video you can check out.  [Link was for VISI recruitment video].  I love having that Plan B income because I know at my day job that I'm only making money if I'm working so having residual income is the best thing ever.  I love waking up and having made money in the middle of the night 😉

This lady has an MBA and was in law school when I met her. Her "day job" at the time was as an accountant.

After watching the video, I had no idea what VISI was. The link doesn't lead to the same video anymore (which is a shame, because I recall that the original video was gold), but it mostly just talked about living your best life. Now it goes to a video about how awesome Scandinavia is and how VISI originates from them and that's how you know it's awesome. It at least clues you in that it's nutritional and beauty products. Apparently made from a magic Scandinavian berry.

The whole pitch still gets a huge WTF from me. Is there something about me that led her to believe I wanted to sell magic berries?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #925 on: October 10, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »
Never heard of VISI.
Looks like protein powders and health junk- Beachbody and Body by Vi clone.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #926 on: October 10, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Maybe my biggest annoyance at MLMs is the misuse of the term "residual income". THAT DOESN'T MEAN WHAT YOU THINK IT MEANS. If you have ongoing work for it, it's not residual income. If it's earned income, it's not residual.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #927 on: October 10, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
Maybe my biggest annoyance at MLMs is the misuse of the term "residual income". THAT DOESN'T MEAN WHAT YOU THINK IT MEANS. If you have ongoing work for it, it's not residual income. If it's earned income, it's not residual.

Ah ha yes!  I know a lot of the perceived benefit is that you can make money while working at home, in your PJs.  And it's easier than having your own business.  (My running coach also owns a gym... that's hard work!)

I think for some of them, they use residual because once you sign one person up, as long as they keep buying whatever, you are making money.

(The latest thing on my FB feed is skincare... Rodan and Fields very popular in the over-40 set).

I have an actual day job that makes a decent salary, so I can't imagine why I'd want to spend my "free" time selling stuff.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #928 on: October 15, 2018, 02:20:09 PM »
Uuuugh. Now an old friend (as always, a mom in her late 30s) is shilling for Tastefully Simple. A quick look at the website offers a "Fix it Fast 10 Meal Kit", which comprises a few bottles and jars of spice blends and sauces and some recipes for $70.

Yeah, no. No wonder everyone complains about being broke. They're all buying this nonsense from each other and giving the money right back to the Ponzi scheme parent company.

skellig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #929 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:45 PM »
My hubs best friend (since he was 8) and his wife have gotten into Thrive. Ugh. I just want to come over and cuddle with the new baby and chill over pizza. Every time we come over it's a way to get us to buy their product. :(

Avoiding Facebook stuff with them too, as it's all, "Thrive was my missing piece."

Can't. do. it.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #930 on: October 16, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
I've found a podcast...!  It's still pretty new (only five episodes, not sure how many there will be).  I'm continually fascinated by MLM train wrecks and just can't look away.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stitcher/the-dream

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #931 on: October 19, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »
The latest! 

You know all I've been struggling with my weight.  Digestive problems, bloating, none of the exercising and eating healthy did anything.  At my wit's end, and about to go see an endocrinologist!  Then I found something.  I swapped out my coffee - and I've lost 10 lbs!  PM me with questions.

Magic coffee.  Okay.

This is a Beachbody coach.  I don't see where BB is getting into coffee?  Sigh.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #932 on: October 20, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
I've found a podcast...!  It's still pretty new (only five episodes, not sure how many there will be).  I'm continually fascinated by MLM train wrecks and just can't look away.

Oh man, the second episode is set in my husband's hometown. There are only one middle school and high school so given the time frame, he, his sister, or cousins must have attended school with the host or her aunt (no surnames are given). This is weird.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #933 on: October 22, 2018, 06:35:47 AM »

Oh man, the second episode is set in my husband's hometown. There are only one middle school and high school so given the time frame, he, his sister, or cousins must have attended school with the host or her aunt (no surnames are given). This is weird.

Her grandma gives her surname in one of the episodes, and I think the great-grandma's name is given too. Depending on if you have a knows-everyone relative, you might be able to figure it out.

It's been a great podcast, I just wish it wasn't only available through Stitcher.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #934 on: October 22, 2018, 07:48:28 AM »
This podcast is great, and it isn’t only available through stitcher. I listen to it via apple podcasts. It is just ad-free on stitcher.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #935 on: October 22, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
This podcast is great, and it isn’t only available through stitcher. I listen to it via apple podcasts. It is just ad-free on stitcher.

Yeah, no problems listening to it on Apple Podcasts (other than the annoying ads for Stitcher).

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #936 on: October 22, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »
Ah, that'd be the issue. I refuse to download any Apple software after I had to do a complete clean install of my OS because "uninstalling" iTunes/Quicktime didn't actually uninstall all the associated software. That was in 2009 and I've never looked back.

Still wish it were on Google Play, but I'm fine with Stitcher to avoid Apple.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #937 on: October 23, 2018, 07:37:34 AM »
And now a friend is hawking something called Esprita. Yeah, I’m not paying $50 per 30-day supply of vitamin/herbal supplement even if it does make me “live my legendary life.”

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: October 23, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
The Dream podcast is fantastic. In the latest episode they get into a little of the market saturation issues of MLMs, siting how many Mary Kay consuls there are versus Walgreens and CVSs. I’ve always wondered why people don’t see that when they sign up for an MLM. You’re friends already know at least three other “friends” selling the same thing!!! Duh.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #939 on: October 23, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
The Dream podcast is fantastic. In the latest episode they get into a little of the market saturation issues of MLMs, siting how many Mary Kay consuls there are versus Walgreens and CVSs. I’ve always wondered why people don’t see that when they sign up for an MLM. You’re friends already know at least three other “friends” selling the same thing!!! Duh.
Some of them don't know it.

In the Beachbody world (apparently in CA, they are everywhere!!) - I feel like the saturation has happened over the last several years.

I've followed a few people who were in early-ish.  Some were business owners or had day jobs.  They ended up being able to sell their businesses and quit their day jobs.  One of them quit a couple of years ago (after she closed down her business), and has virtually disappeared.  But is hawking something else now. She was honest about the changes that had happened AND the saturation and she just couldn't keep her income up.  Too much competition, and too many requirements to get "new" customers every month.  Then BB told everyone they had to be exclusive.

The exclusive part caused a couple of local people that I know to quit the business.  One was working on a second MLM which was a wine club (it was a terrible idea.  While this particular person was also a cafe owner, so had some overlap with wine - the wine club was selling wines from Aus and NZ and um... we live in wine country!!) 

That particular person ended up BACK in the BB business, not sure how successful.  Some folks that I know are pretty successful at it, but generally they are business owners who have access to lots of new customers AND their businesses are health related in the first place.

anyway, it took some googling and there are 340,000 beachbody coaches.  That's... a lot.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #940 on: October 23, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »
Some of them don't know it.

In the Beachbody world (apparently in CA, they are everywhere!!) - I feel like the saturation has happened over the last several years.

I've followed a few people who were in early-ish.  Some were business owners or had day jobs.  They ended up being able to sell their businesses and quit their day jobs.  One of them quit a couple of years ago (after she closed down her business), and has virtually disappeared.  But is hawking something else now. She was honest about the changes that had happened AND the saturation and she just couldn't keep her income up.  Too much competition, and too many requirements to get "new" customers every month.  Then BB told everyone they had to be exclusive.

The exclusive part caused a couple of local people that I know to quit the business.  One was working on a second MLM which was a wine club (it was a terrible idea.  While this particular person was also a cafe owner, so had some overlap with wine - the wine club was selling wines from Aus and NZ and um... we live in wine country!!) 

That particular person ended up BACK in the BB business, not sure how successful.  Some folks that I know are pretty successful at it, but generally they are business owners who have access to lots of new customers AND their businesses are health related in the first place.

anyway, it took some googling and there are 340,000 beachbody coaches.  That's... a lot.

That's like one BB coach for every 1000 Americans...talk about a saturated market.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #941 on: October 24, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
I saw this and feel like it is extremely relevant....

How to Get a Friend Out of an MLM

• Stubble
« Reply #942 on: October 26, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »
Is there anyone else who doesn't run into MLM stuff really ever? I have seen about 5 cars with ads on, and once someone gave me a card after we chatted at a playground. Is it because I'm not on Facebook? The stats say so many Americans are involved, I'm not sure how I've avoided them. Speculation?

Stimpy

• Bristles
« Reply #943 on: October 26, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »
Is there anyone else who doesn't run into MLM stuff really ever? I have seen about 5 cars with ads on, and once someone gave me a card after we chatted at a playground. Is it because I'm not on Facebook? The stats say so many Americans are involved, I'm not sure how I've avoided them. Speculation?

First is in who you know.  Only 1 friend and a family member (whom refused to pitch to family thank goodness!) of mine has ever got involved with that crap, and beyond that, never dealt with it.
Second, where you go, (ie facebook, certain social events, etc) if you don't hit those a lot, your probably missing out on comedy gold and annoying sales pitches.  (Personally the lack of pitches makes up for lack of comedy but to each their own!)
Third, there is some luck involved, as there are still a few whom go out in the community and pick a random sucker, but most of that is now done via facebook and the like so your probably likely avoid it 99.9% of the time.

Anyone wanna buy some Amway?  (Just kidding!)

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #944 on: October 26, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #945 on: October 27, 2018, 01:30:20 AM »

I'm a military spouse, and military spouse employment (or UNemployment) is a huge issue due to all the moving.  Even more so overseas (which I am).  So it makes a lot of sense that MLMs are very attractive to military spouses.  You can take your "business" with you, work your own hours, and not have the pain and frustration of looking for and maybe not finding a job at each new location.

So I think I probably see even more of these than the average Joe.  Just got invited to a Brunch and Beauty (some natural make up and skin care MLM), and on any given day my FB fee probably has 2-3 MLM posts, and I keep a pretty small friends list.  I know one person who as far as I can tell, has been very successful.  (Though it's hard to say for sure as part of the business is trumpeting how successful you are, whether it's true or not.)  She got in very early on one I had never heard of.  (Some bracelet/charm thing called Keep.)  That was several years ago and I've still never seen anyone else talking about this company, so it seems like it's not as saturated.  (Of course, that could be that no one buys, but it doesn't seem like she gets any fewer responses than any other MLM posts, and in fact probably more.)  So of the dozens and dozens in my semi-immediate circle, that's one seeming success story. 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #946 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:53 AM »
My friend's mother is selling some kind of diet meal replacement shakes.  She tried to pitch it to me last time I saw her, which was a strange experience.  I'm a huge foodie and pretty healthy so diet shakes hold 0 appeal to me even if they weren't an MLM.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #947 on: November 02, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
I've been listening to The Dream podcast. It's really well done. The way they trace the evolution of MLMs from Prosperity Gospel preachers like Norman Vincent Peale and pop psychology is fascinating. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm acquainted with a couple who are quite high up the pyramid in a nutrition supplement MLM. Looking through their social media posts, I can definitely see how all those lines of thought tie together. There is some dark stuff hidden underneath all those cheerful Insta selfies.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #948 on: November 02, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »
I've been listening to that, too! Fascinating! Great stuff.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #949 on: November 03, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
Wasn't there a big trend about a generation ago where MLM companies like Scamway would require their devotees to buy a "book of the month" which was invariably some bullshit rah-rah artist telling them how everything will be pie in the sky by and by if they just believe and pray hard enough? Some of the authors of those books were actually MLM honchos, or else people who owed their "best-selling author" status to the MLM. In exchange for the push they'd come and speak at MLM events.