Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639054 times)

KodeBlue

• Stubble
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #750 on: February 05, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »
Life Leadership was the worst. "You don't want to be rich and successful??" NO. YES. That's why I'm not throwing any money away on Life Leadership.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #751 on: February 05, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
I have a friend who I really like who just got sucked into an MLM, Arbonne? I think it's one of those diet/"wellness" ones. Sigh. It has been awhile since I've come across one IRL. I hope it's short lived.

DW is an Arbonne distributor, but doesn't actually use it for anything other than getting a discount on stuff for our household.  I like the basic products (moisturizer, aftershave, etc.); she likes them more.  They are kind of spendy, depending on your definition of spendy, but people are particular about health and beauty products, so ....

There is definitely stuff in their catalogue that is nutty woo-woo and really overpriced.  And if you are unlucky enough to really drink the Kool-Aid, then you'll get the typical high-pressure MLM tactics.  So far she's avoided all that.  Knock on wood.

My wife used to purchase Arbonne (and a couple of other MLM) products because she liked them. 
After learning how deceptive, immoral, and unethical the MLM companies are, we refuse to purchase their products.  Some people say that MLMs are pyramid schemes.  I think they are worse.  (90% of those in Pyramid schemes lose money.  99% of MLMers lose money.)  We will spend twice as much on a product from a non-MLM company, rather than purchase products produced by MLMs.  (For example, instead of Young Living EOs, we've have bought Living Libations, as well as others that don't cost quite that much!)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #752 on: February 05, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
Girl POWER!  Looking pretty!!

As I sit at my desk in engineering land, hair in a ponytail.  Graying, of course, wrinkles and pimples.  No makeup (being 47 is GRAND).  Jeans, sneakers and t shirt and a hoodie.

Female engineers unite! Jeans, sneakers, t-shirt, natural-going-gray hair, no makeup here. Although, I am wearing earrings today...fancy. If I wear makeup or nicer clothes to work it makes the male engineers nervous and concerned that I'm interviewing. I discovered that last year when I dressed nicely to attend a funeral midday. :(

I have a friend who I really like who just got sucked into an MLM, Arbonne? I think it's one of those diet/"wellness" ones. Sigh. It has been awhile since I've come across one IRL. I hope it's short lived.
Yes.  I gave up wheat and lost just enough weight that none of my jeans fit except the holey ones.  So I pulled out a couple of pairs of old dress pants. Oh boy do I get the looks and the questions.  There were definitely interview concerns, but hey, worked in my favor.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #753 on: February 05, 2018, 10:12:57 PM »
Girl POWER!  Looking pretty!!

As I sit at my desk in engineering land, hair in a ponytail.  Graying, of course, wrinkles and pimples.  No makeup (being 47 is GRAND).  Jeans, sneakers and t shirt and a hoodie.

Female engineers unite! Jeans, sneakers, t-shirt, natural-going-gray hair, no makeup here. Although, I am wearing earrings today...fancy. If I wear makeup or nicer clothes to work it makes the male engineers nervous and concerned that I'm interviewing. I discovered that last year when I dressed nicely to attend a funeral midday. :(

Yes.  I gave up wheat and lost just enough weight that none of my jeans fit except the holey ones.  So I pulled out a couple of pairs of old dress pants. Oh boy do I get the looks and the questions.  There were definitely interview concerns, but hey, worked in my favor.

I'm sure there will be much fear that I'm interviewing if I ever again wear anything to work besides cargo pants and either hiking boots or combat boots. Seems unlikely, unless, you know, I have a job interview. The college president has seen my combat boots now, so no reason to dress up for a meeting.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: February 11, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
When she forgets to update the template...

(Courtesy of Reddit)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #755 on: February 11, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »

(Courtesy of Reddit)

Whoops!

Eckhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #756 on: February 11, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »

(Courtesy of Reddit)

Not in this (expletive) lifetime

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #757 on: February 11, 2018, 10:00:08 PM »

(Courtesy of Reddit)

Whoops!

Oh, that is too funny!

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #758 on: February 15, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Yesterday on my local community FB page, a woman posted about Avon. I hid her from my feed. Today a different woman posted about youngevity. She started her post with a negative comment towards Avon. I hid her as well. Not only is she deluded but she's a bully as well. Sad and pathetic.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »
I actually got pitched last week by a friend on a MLM scheme, in which the plan is selling Financial Advisory services and yes...Annuities....double ug!  Heaps of money to be made, iif I only advise others to follow investments I woukd never advise myself...

My reply was that the proposal sounded like work...and that I had retired to stop working.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #760 on: February 18, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
Yesterday on my local community FB page, a woman posted about Avon. I hid her from my feed. Today a different woman posted about youngevity. She started her post with a negative comment towards Avon. I hid her as well. Not only is she deluded but she's a bully as well. Sad and pathetic.

You won't have to endure that for much longer.

Avon has announced it's pulling out of Australia by the end of the year.

Enter horde of angry "entrepreneurs".

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
Saw a MLM post about how MLM company was profiled in Forbes. Post quoted the article, but didn't link to it, which I thought was kinda weird.

Well, turns out, the Forbes article is pretty blunt about it being a pyramid scheme:
Getting on board with business kits whose costs range from about $400 to $1,000, the dream is of big riches through direct sales and recruiting more distributors, or consultants, as the company calls them -- the classic pyramid model of multi-level marketing companies in which the recruiter gets a slice of the sales of those who they sign up.

It doesn't happen for most. According to a company disclosure statement, the average annualized income for active [MLM co] distributors for sales in 2015 was $3,182, with entry-level consultants making an average of $790.

It then goes on to tell the story of one "top" distributor who "earned" a Lexus. Sounds like a really, really awesome salesperson, until you realize that it's a lease worth maybe $400/month.

Dianalou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #762 on: February 19, 2018, 12:58:36 PM »
I was invited to a local business networking facebook group that does events a couple times a month, I happily accepted. After going through the posts for the last few months, it's all people begging for $xx in sales so that they can still be a 'consultant' for whatever MLM. It appears that there are a few realtors, a coffee stand owner, myself and maybe one other person in there that are stand alone businesses. I was trying to explain it to my husband, but it annoys me so much when these people go on and go about being an entrepreneur and being their own boss etc. etc. They don't own a business! And don't get me started on the #momboss #momtrepeuer #girlboss nonsense. There is no reason to gender a non-gendered word.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #763 on: February 19, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »

It then goes on to tell the story of one "top" distributor who "earned" a Lexus. Sounds like a really, really awesome salesperson, until you realize that it's a lease worth maybe $400/month.

On top of that, the second they fall below their quota, they are stuck with the car payments themselves.

I met a guy at training (for our real jobs), and he ended up telling me about how his wife was doing an MLM, got the car, and then all her business tanked because so many people started selling the same thing. Now he has that car payment to add to all the other bills, while supporting a family of 4 or 5 kids. I could tell it was a big sore spot for him.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #764 on: February 19, 2018, 11:07:28 PM »
Saw a MLM post about how MLM company was profiled in Forbes. Post quoted the article, but didn't link to it, which I thought was kinda weird.

That is a curious PR move from the company.

We've been featured in Forbes! They portrayed us as the scam artists and shonks we are, but we just won't tell people that bit.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #765 on: February 20, 2018, 01:03:24 AM »

I had another post today from a different lady. Get your stock now before it's all gone! Contact me!

One down.  689250652 more to go.

mjdh1957

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #766 on: February 20, 2018, 02:24:30 AM »
There is no reason to gender a non-gendered word.

In the original French the word 'entrepreneur' is of course a gendered word. The feminine (though I've never seen it used in French) would be l'entrepreneuse.

Funny that there was no concept for this in English and they had to borrow a French word for it.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #767 on: February 20, 2018, 06:51:49 AM »
In the original French the word 'entrepreneur' is of course a gendered word. The feminine (though I've never seen it used in French) would be l'entrepreneuse.

Funny that there was no concept for this in English and they had to borrow a French word for it.

It's gendered because French nouns are all gendered, which you know since you said "of course" a gendered word.

But I agree, it's totally crazy how England had no concept of things like entrepreneurship or joy or justice or melody or beef or eagles before 1066.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #768 on: February 20, 2018, 07:53:56 AM »

It's gendered because French nouns are all gendered, which you know since you said "of course" a gendered word.

But I agree, it's totally crazy how England had no concept of things like entrepreneurship or joy or justice or melody or beef or eagles before 1066.

This is like seeing a very small reenactment.

mjdh1957

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #769 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:03 AM »

I was more poking fun at George Dubya Bush who claimed that the French language had no concept of entrepreneurship

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: February 20, 2018, 09:38:55 AM »
I was more poking fun at George Dubya Bush who claimed that the French language had no concept of entrepreneurship

https://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.asp

mjdh1957

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #771 on: February 20, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »

It's still a good story and has the sound of truth...

Troy McClure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #772 on: February 20, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »

It's still a good story and has the sound of truth...

But it isn't. Either you didn't know or you lied intentionally. Either way, doubling down after learning the truth is wonderfully appropriate in a MLM thread.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #773 on: February 20, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »

I had another post today from a different lady. Get your stock now before it's all gone! Contact me!

What is "contact me" lady's role in this scenario? A last minute emptying of their Aussie warehouse or offloading her own stuff?

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #774 on: February 20, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »

What is "contact me" lady's role in this scenario? A last minute emptying of their Aussie warehouse or offloading her own stuff?

She was trying to get downlines to set up online stores believe it or not. She only posted in the comments that it was closing down.

Her post:
"Do you like, Fashion Jewellery, Homewares, Makeup and skin products? Work your own hours. Show brochures to family friends and work mates. Get your own online store and sell to anyone you know all over Australia. Contact me emailaddress"
And the comment:
"Avon in Australia is closing for good. Join up now and buy your products in bulk before they close. Contact me."

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #775 on: March 26, 2018, 07:49:19 AM »
I read through this thread on my lunch breaks a few weeks ago and was entertained (and aghast at the levels this stuff goes to).

Since I finished I now have an old acquaintance on FB who is a Younique consultant and posts ALL. THE. TIME. And it is like it was taken word for word out of this thread.

But I thought this post would be enjoyed here:

Know someone building a business on Social Media?

Don't be annoyed by their posts...
Instead:
- Hit Like 👍🏼
- Ask a question 🤔
- Make a positive comment ❤
- Maybe even share it 📲
Even if you aren't interested, someone you know may be. You don't have to spend to support your friends!

We're all working hard for a number of different reasons!

Support the "little guy".
Support the "under dog" who is just trying to build a good life.

We appreciate the interaction! It helps us build and grow. We thank you!

Post your business in the comments. 👇🏼

I've got Younique ❤

#Repost

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #776 on: March 26, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »
I read through this thread on my lunch breaks a few weeks ago and was entertained (and aghast at the levels this stuff goes to).

Since I finished I now have an old acquaintance on FB who is a Younique consultant and posts ALL. THE. TIME. And it is like it was taken word for word out of this thread.

But I thought this post would be enjoyed here:

Know someone building a business on Social Media?

Don't be annoyed by their posts...
Instead:
- Hit Like 👍🏼
- Ask a question 🤔
- Make a positive comment ❤
- Maybe even share it 📲
Even if you aren't interested, someone you know may be. You don't have to spend to support your friends!

We're all working hard for a number of different reasons!

Support the "little guy".
Support the "under dog" who is just trying to build a good life.

We appreciate the interaction! It helps us build and grow. We thank you!

Post your business in the comments. 👇🏼

I've got Younique ❤

#Repost

#doallmyadvertisingformekthanksbye

You have to give her credit for the effort, underhanded as it may be.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #777 on: March 26, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
I love when this thread gets bumped up :)

My FB feed is fairly free of MLM stuff.  I do have one lady that does Shakeology, and would prefer if I didn't feel like a pm is trying to lead to a sale (we pm about other stuff, she was my son's first daycare lady, I work with her husband, we've always known each other, but every now and then it drifts to "do you want to try/join..." stuff, and I have to explain that I'm still not interested).

Another friend has joined the Lipsense nonsense, but she doesn't post much about it, so that's good.

I do love that "don't get annoyed by me, just share my stuff so you can help me annoy someone else!" attitude in the above post though.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: March 26, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
I got a friend request recently from someone who I barely know (although we have several mutual friends) who is pitching an MLM; I think it's Shakeology? I've been posting about running lately because I'm training for a half marathon and hiking Mt. Whitney this summer (permit acquired, yes!!) and she messaged me about her "fitness program". At least she hasn't been pushy when I didn't fill out her "questionnaire for more information." I swear though, everywhere I look there's someone else on yet another MLM. Ugh.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #779 on: March 26, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »
I got a friend request recently from someone who I barely know (although we have several mutual friends) who is pitching an MLM; I think it's Shakeology? I've been posting about running lately because I'm training for a half marathon and hiking Mt. Whitney this summer (permit acquired, yes!!) and she messaged me about her "fitness program". At least she hasn't been pushy when I didn't fill out her "questionnaire for more information." I swear though, everywhere I look there's someone else on yet another MLM. Ugh.
Oh yes, this one makes me sad.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the Beachbody workouts.  I have the streaming service ($99 a year for all their workouts).  They have great recipes on their site.  Their workouts & meal plans helped me lose all the baby weight - 35 lbs!

But shakeology.  I know it's how they make their money, and word of mouth of "coaches".  But seriously.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #780 on: March 27, 2018, 10:06:53 AM »
Oh yes, this one makes me sad.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the Beachbody workouts.  I have the streaming service ($99 a year for all their workouts).  They have great recipes on their site.  Their workouts & meal plans helped me lose all the baby weight - 35 lbs!

But shakeology.  I know it's how they make their money, and word of mouth of "coaches".  But seriously.

I'd never even heard of it before, but ALL she posts about on facebook is her coaching "business" and "being her own boss" and ALL the standard MLM things that have been said here.

Congrats on losing all the baby weight though! My youngest is 6 and I am STILL up 30 pounds from where I was before getting pregnant with my now-8 year old. I've made a lot of progress with my fitness lately and the weight is...redistributing...but I still have a long way to go. Hard to call it "baby weight" when my "baby" is six. I have a plan at the moment (training for a half marathon and hiking Mt. Whitney this summer; focusing on being active and eating appropriately for said activity) but if I don't see the weight budge here I may take a look at that streaming option. Thanks. :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #781 on: March 27, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »

I'd never even heard of it before, but ALL she posts about on facebook is her coaching "business" and "being her own boss" and ALL the standard MLM things that have been said here.

Congrats on losing all the baby weight though! My youngest is 6 and I am STILL up 30 pounds from where I was before getting pregnant with my now-8 year old. I've made a lot of progress with my fitness lately and the weight is...redistributing...but I still have a long way to go. Hard to call it "baby weight" when my "baby" is six. I have a plan at the moment (training for a half marathon and hiking Mt. Whitney this summer; focusing on being active and eating appropriately for said activity) but if I don't see the weight budge here I may take a look at that streaming option. Thanks. :)

Ooh, Mt. Whitney!  I live in California.  I'd never attempt Whitney.  I'm too much of a scaredy-cat.  A friend of mine did it last year, and ALMOST made it.  But near the top it was snowing/ icy, and there was a gnarly section.  She stopped, sobbing "I can't turn my husband into a single parent!"  It was a bad weather day.

The program I used was 21-day fix.  The workouts were great (I still do them), but the color-coded containers for each type of food and the amount you could eat was what did the trick.  It was super easy, way easier for me than counting points or calories.  Much less counting.  And made me cut my love affair with carbs, because I could only have 2 servings a day.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #782 on: March 27, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »
Shouldn't the drink powders and the health additive folks be the healthiest people we know? They aren't - well, not universally.

Thanks - I can continue to be the middle aged guy who needs to exercise more - without the cost of the supplements. ;)

Meanwhile, I am pedaling back and forth around town alot more. That IS paying off a little albeit slowly.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #783 on: March 27, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
Shouldn't the drink powders and the health additive folks be the healthiest people we know? They aren't - well, not universally.

Anecdotal, I know, but I've literally never received unsolicited health or nutrition advice from someone who looked qualified to give it.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #784 on: March 28, 2018, 07:22:50 AM »

Anecdotal, I know, but I've literally never received unsolicited health or nutrition advice from someone who looked qualified to give it.

Also anecdotal, I know, but I've literally never received unsolicited health or nutrition advice from someone in the gym.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #785 on: March 28, 2018, 10:19:46 AM »
I was approached multiple times by people pedaling this shake or that drink powder. All I could think was - why aren't they using the product? They aren't the pinnacle of health by any means (nor am I). Still at least I'm doing something about it by being more active minus the cost of the powder/shake/product.

Going for a walk is pretty cheap these days. You don't even need a dog or special shoes! ;)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #786 on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
I've known a few people who sold the shakes and powders over the years. If you ever want to try a response that they've never heard before, my go-to line is "My Hungarian grandmother would turn over in her grave if she found out I ate food powder instead of a proper home-cooked meal." I'm not even lying.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #787 on: March 28, 2018, 10:52:51 AM »
I have a few friends who shill that powder. A couple have gotten into INCREDIBLE shape since starting to "coach" for beachbody. A couple a hugely obese but swear they'd be a lot unhealthier without the shakes and "everyone has to start somewhere".

I think I've found that a lot of people prefer an overweight "coach" because it makes them relatable.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #788 on: March 28, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
I have a few friends who shill that powder. A couple have gotten into INCREDIBLE shape since starting to "coach" for beachbody. A couple a hugely obese but swear they'd be a lot unhealthier without the shakes and "everyone has to start somewhere".

I think I've found that a lot of people prefer an overweight "coach" because it makes them relatable.
Huh.  That's interesting.  I know a lot of coaches.  Most of them are very fit, but that might be related to my location.  A few that are "relatable".

I think it makes me sad, because most of them put an awful lot of work into it, for what I assume is not a lot of money.  And recent changes on BB means they aren't allowed to be in other MLMs.  So folks who pieced together Beachbody + wine + ??? (I dunno, nails?  Skincare? Leggings?) had to pick one.

Again, because of my location, many of the "coaches" I know are actually certified in other things, like martial arts, personal training, nutrition, etc.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #789 on: March 28, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »
I've known a few people who sold the shakes and powders over the years. If you ever want to try a response that they've never heard before, my go-to line is "My Hungarian grandmother would turn over in her grave if she found out I ate food powder instead of a proper home-cooked meal." I'm not even lying.

I had looked up the cost of the shakes out of curiosity.  When someone tried to get me to buy them, I said that no, the shakes were too expensive and would blow my food budget.  So then I got the next push "but they are inexpensive for all the nutrients and vitamins they provide!" and "You'll save so much time not making meals!"  I told them I had so much time to make proper meals I should be ashamed to use that as a reason (I work 7 days/nights every 2 weeks if I'm not working overtime, and usually have plenty of time too cook at work as well as at home).  Also, with all the food my mom grows in her garden, I have almost unlimited access to fresh vegetables in the summer, and home frozen/canned vegetables all winter.  They finally dropped it.

But, maybe I can use "Hungarian gramma" next time, even if mine wasn't.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #790 on: March 28, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »

I think it makes me sad, because most of them put an awful lot of work into it, for what I assume is not a lot of money.  And recent changes on BB means they aren't allowed to be in other MLMs.  So folks who pieced together Beachbody + wine + ??? (I dunno, nails?  Skincare? Leggings?) had to pick one.

Nothing says #I'mmyownboss like someone else telling you what you can or can't sell.

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #791 on: March 29, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »

I had looked up the cost of the shakes out of curiosity.  When someone tried to get me to buy them, I said that no, the shakes were too expensive and would blow my food budget.  So then I got the next push "but they are inexpensive for all the nutrients and vitamins they provide!" and "You'll save so much time not making meals!"  I told them I had so much time to make proper meals I should be ashamed to use that as a reason (I work 7 days/nights every 2 weeks if I'm not working overtime, and usually have plenty of time too cook at work as well as at home).  Also, with all the food my mom grows in her garden, I have almost unlimited access to fresh vegetables in the summer, and home frozen/canned vegetables all winter.  They finally dropped it.

In my experience, they have a retort for EVERY reason you could give as a way to decline. It's all in the scripts ;)

I had someone randomly Facebook message me from a mutual mom's group. She must have searched certain conditions to target people, because she mentioned a chronic health condition I've discussed in the group (though I've never even asked for treatment options there) and tried to get me to buy and/or sell Thrive. I wanted to respond in so many different ways, but in the end I didn't accept the message - I just blocked and deleted it. And reported her to group admins since that is for sure against the (pretty awesome) group code of conduct.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #792 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »

In my experience, they have a retort for EVERY reason you could give as a way to decline. It's all in the scripts ;)

I have another response that's hard for them to find a script for as well - one person I knew years ago was part of an MLM that sold energy drinks, and tried to sell them to me. I grabbed one, read out loud the warnings on the label, and said "Holy shit, are you trying to kill me?"

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #793 on: March 29, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »

I have another response that's hard for them to find a script for as well - one person I knew years ago was part of an MLM that sold energy drinks, and tried to sell them to me. I grabbed one, read out loud the warnings on the label, and said "Holy shit, are you trying to kill me?"

When I was a kid and living with my parents, my aunt and her husband came for an extended visit. They brought some ridiculous-looking energy bars that were highly processed with an ingredients list that took up half the back of the package. My aunt's husband was hawking this garbage and would not shut up about it. He was an older fellow, in his sixties at least, with a bit of an overweening disposition so it was hard to politely dodge the conversation. We'd all sampled the nauseating glorified cardboard just to be polite, and found it odious. But after several days he still wouldn't shut up about the disgusting things. I was thinking about finding an excuse to break his jaw to make him stop. While extolling the dubious virtue of his product, he asserted: "Because of these, I've got the body of a twenty-nine-year-old."

Me: (Looking at the package) Which one of these ingredients is the hallucinogen?

Yeah, I was an obnoxious kid. Not much has changed since then.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #794 on: March 29, 2018, 02:18:46 PM »
Or just send your average kid into the conversation. I've heard some pretty creative reasons why a 9 year old won't eat their vegetables...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #795 on: March 29, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »

When I was a kid and living with my parents, my aunt and her husband came for an extended visit. They brought some ridiculous-looking energy bars that were highly processed with an ingredients list that took up half the back of the package. My aunt's husband was hawking this garbage and would not shut up about it. He was an older fellow, in his sixties at least, with a bit of an overweening disposition so it was hard to politely dodge the conversation. We'd all sampled the nauseating glorified cardboard just to be polite, and found it odious. But after several days he still wouldn't shut up about the disgusting things. I was thinking about finding an excuse to break his jaw to make him stop. While extolling the dubious virtue of his product, he asserted: "Because of these, I've got the body of a twenty-nine-year-old."

Me: (Looking at the package) Which one of these ingredients is the hallucinogen?

Yeah, I was an obnoxious kid. Not much has changed since then.

If only there were cell phone cameras and YouTube back then.  That's comic gold.  My response would have probably been questioning why 29 years old equals peak fitness.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #796 on: March 29, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »

OMG, you are hilarious!  Such a precocious child.  I'm glad you participate in these forums, TGS!

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #797 on: March 29, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »

Never eat anything your grandparents wouldn't recognize as food.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: March 30, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »

Never eat anything your grandparents wouldn't recognize as food.

This is true, as long as your grandparents weren't incredibly xenophobic. My grandpa refused to eat pizza and chop suey, as they were "not real food". Spaghetti was iffy; it was OK only as long as it was Kraft brand with the little shaker of what was labelled "parmesan cheese". He would be appalled at my diet, as many meals are completely meatless (even suppers!), and I eat too much "rabbit food".

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #799 on: March 30, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »
I unfollowed someone on Facebook because their posts got incredibly annoying. Multiple posts a day of them in workout gear shilling Beachbody. My wife enjoys Beachbody but just streams it for fairly cheap and doesn't try to sell anything. Unfortunately she also does the shakeology which is obscenely expensive.

Another FB friend sells Rodan & Fields but she's not nearly as annoying with her posts.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!