Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639071 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »
Here's another sad and terrifying deep-dive into MLM insanity:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-essential-oils-became-the-cure-for-our-age-of-anxiety

I've seen this before.  There is some awful stuff in there, and somehow we are supposed to trust these people?  But, for the MLM and earning money part, this quote is definitely the standard I set for a job... "I went from making zero dollars a month to over zero dollars a month." <insert eyeroll>

"rub three times in a circular clockwise pattern [in your palm] to activate the electrical properties of the oil that aligns you DNA"   (paraphrased).

If the oil is in my left palm, and I rub with my right palm in a clockwise pattern, isn't my left hand essentially rubbing counterclockwise? Won't that counteract the electrical properties of the oil and confuse my DNA?

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #601 on: November 08, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
One of these essential oils salespeople went on  a FB group I was in, when a mom posted that her child had pinkeye. She actually told her it would be okay to put EOs in the child's eye, that certain oils would "cure" eye infections.  Is that scary or what? I'd never risk putting something in my child's eye without a MEDICAL DOCTOR'S approval.

It was a frugal facebook group that I'm a member of and these women were trying to save money on doctor bills. Although I am frugal when it comes to many things, I don't take chances with my child's health.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #602 on: November 08, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-essential-oils-became-the-cure-for-our-age-of-anxiety

I've seen this before.  There is some awful stuff in there, and somehow we are supposed to trust these people?  But, for the MLM and earning money part, this quote is definitely the standard I set for a job... "I went from making zero dollars a month to over zero dollars a month." <insert eyeroll>

"rub three times in a circular clockwise pattern [in your palm] to activate the electrical properties of the oil that aligns you DNA"   (paraphrased).

If the oil is in my left palm, and I rub with my right palm in a clockwise pattern, isn't my left hand essentially rubbing counterclockwise? Won't that counteract the electrical properties of the oil and confuse my DNA?

You're confusing the polarity! 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:36:03 PM by Travis »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #603 on: November 08, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
There were not 1, not 2, but 3 LaLaRue booths!!  And one of them was a giant booth that took up two spaces.  Each space is $750 to rent for 2 days.  Crazy!    ...and there were customers in their booths.

Were they at least selling different things?  This seems to be the main problem with the MLM business model in a nutshell - distributors so local they're leaching from each other.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #604 on: November 08, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
There were not 1, not 2, but 3 LaLaRue booths!!  And one of them was a giant booth that took up two spaces.  Each space is $750 to rent for 2 days.  Crazy!    ...and there were customers in their booths.

Were they at least selling different things?  This seems to be the main problem with the MLM business model in a nutshell - distributors so local they're leaching from each other.

The way LLR is set up, the distributor only has choice on size and style, no control over print, they just get what they are sent.  So, it's likely that the prints were different, but the actual clothes were the same.  It's how the company has developed a "rush" on certain patterns, etc.  They claim to make only 1k or 5k items of each print.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #605 on: November 08, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »
One of these essential oils salespeople went on  a FB group I was in, when a mom posted that her child had pinkeye. She actually told her it would be okay to put EOs in the child's eye, that certain oils would "cure" eye infections.  Is that scary or what? I'd never risk putting something in my child's eye without a MEDICAL DOCTOR'S approval.

It was a frugal facebook group that I'm a member of and these women were trying to save money on doctor bills. Although I am frugal when it comes to many things, I don't take chances with my child's health.
They aren't selling anything but same in the breastfeeding community. Anything wrong with the kid? Throw breastmilk on it. Pink eye, diaper rash, baby acne, cuts and bruises.

Never throw out expired milk. Put it in the bath instead.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #606 on: November 08, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »

They aren't selling anything but same in the breastfeeding community. Anything wrong with the kid? Throw breastmilk on it. Pink eye, diaper rash, baby acne, cuts and bruises.

I've seen the same, claiming that breastmilk can cure "anything" (not true).

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: November 08, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »

Crazy! And it reminds me of those placenta pills that I see a number of my MLM friends have bought into. Maybe someone already posted about that here? I can't remember.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-cdc-warns-against-placenta-pills-20170706-story.html

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #608 on: November 08, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
What did I even just read?? I mean I know that the sellers believe that essential oils are chemical free, but do they know this guy is a certifiable, criminal, nut case?!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #609 on: November 08, 2017, 08:47:56 PM »
I was scoping out a local (NJ) Women's Expo for my business last month.  It is basically an expo for women to shop.  There were a couple hundred booths set up with things such as jewelry, skincare, oils, tarot readers, hair care, some clothes, and various things like that.  There were not 1, not 2, but 3 LaLaRue booths!!  And one of them was a giant booth that took up two spaces.  Each space is $750 to rent for 2 days.  Crazy!    ...and there were customers in their booths.
As someone who goes to a fair number of expos/conferences/conventions as an exhibitor, I can tell you that $750 for a 10x10 booth is actually on the cheap end of things.  Depending on what show we're at, it can be three times that cost.  Of course, all those MLM sellers are hoping to make back not only their $750, but the cost of the goods they're selling, and then make enough money to take something home.  I find it a bit hard to believe they made a profit :)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #610 on: November 09, 2017, 06:55:18 AM »
Has anyone seen the latest MLM, Xyngular? I have friends who have recently started this weight loss MLM and are now hawking it everywhere. One girl, who has been quite overweight for some time, posted on Facebook that she lost 7 POUNDS in the first TWO days. I have to assume this stuff is just some horrific combination of diuretics and laxatives.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: November 09, 2017, 07:17:32 AM »
I feel like I need to come clean here- yesterday a FB friend who sells LuLaRoe posted a really cute OOTD. If she would have sold me just the skirt without shipping costs, I would have bought it.
There. I feel better now.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #612 on: November 09, 2017, 07:33:12 AM »
LLR - I'm watching this from afar b/c DW has no interest in them our girly relatives don't live in our town. 

Question: there aren't any other brands that offer the same kind of clothing for similar or lower prices?

Essential oils: I don't want to apply anything to my body that will fool around with my DNA (I know it really doesn't). Why doesn't that sound risky to the people who believe in the sales spiel? Why doesn't that sound like something that could be risky?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
What did I even just read?? I mean I know that the sellers believe that essential oils are chemical free, but do they know this guy is a certifiable, criminal, nut case?!
That's why some of them split off and formed doTerra.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: November 09, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »
LLR - I'm watching this from afar b/c DW has no interest in them our girly relatives don't live in our town. 

Question: there aren't any other brands that offer the same kind of clothing for similar or lower prices?

Essential oils: I don't want to apply anything to my body that will fool around with my DNA (I know it really doesn't). Why doesn't that sound risky to the people who believe in the sales spiel? Why doesn't that sound like something that could be risky?

DNA has become yet another marketing term.  It's either used to invoke the devil (GMOs put DNA in your food!) or described as a superficially relevant organ such as this "oils" business.  I'm sure there's an MLM that asks you to eat their food because it "cleanses" your DNA (as if the building blocks of your body were the same as fish tank water).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #615 on: November 09, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »

Hey, but when I was nursing kid #2, one of my neighbors' kids had an eye infection.  She gave me half a dozen eggs from her chickens in exchange for some extra milk.  I won that trade!

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #616 on: November 09, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »

A secret little tip: it doesn't matter what way you rub, you can go either way. Ofcourse, you have to go the same way each time. If you go counter clockwise one day, and clockwise another, you start rubbing against DNA grain and you risk breaking DNA strands at the root. #science

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #617 on: November 09, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »
Someone posted on facebook today, looking for a "Younique dealer" (a make-up MLM).  I live in a fairly small town (about 14k people).  Curious, I looked on city-data and found that about 6k of those people are female.  Let's say 2/3 of those women are at an age where they wear makeup.  That leaves a max customer base of 4k people to sell to (many of the women in this town don't wear makeup though, and if they do, they use a much cheaper brand you can find at the store...but, we'll go with 4k anyway).

Response to that one request?  27 "bossbabes".  27.  Our town doesn't even have a Walmart, but we have 27 people (at least) trying to hawk an expensive makeup.

I know people want to have a "downline", so they can make money off them, but at some point there are just too many people selling the same thing.  I haven't paid much attention to how many MLM sellers there are for each company, but I think I may start to pay attention.  I know that there were a lot of Visalus (or whatever the shake company was called) sellers for a while, but I think most gave up.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: November 10, 2017, 05:10:39 AM »
I'll admit to owning and loving a couple pairs of LLR leggings.  Expensive, yes, but I don't consider $25 for pants to be obscene./confession

Anyway, I'm still a part of several groups on Facebook which I joined while I was looking for prints I liked when I was shopping for my pairs. Some sellers actually offer a service where they will put a "Congratulations!  You won this!" note in the packages, so that women can hide from their husbands the fact that they've spent more money on LLR purchases.

How shady is that!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: November 10, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »
I'll admit to owning and loving a couple pairs of LLR leggings.  Expensive, yes, but I don't consider $25 for pants to be obscene./confession

Anyway, I'm still a part of several groups on Facebook which I joined while I was looking for prints I liked when I was shopping for my pairs. Some sellers actually offer a service where they will put a "Congratulations!  You won this!" note in the packages, so that women can hide from their husbands the fact that they've spent more money on LLR purchases.

How shady is that!

I've noticed in all my hobbies (sewing, quilting, knitting, vinyl transfer, nail polish) there is a huge amount of talk of getting purchases hidden from husbands.  It's kind of sickening.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #620 on: November 10, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
Wow. I can't imagine lying to my husband about money. If he did, I'd wonder what else he was lying to me about.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #621 on: November 10, 2017, 09:35:06 AM »
Check out the LLR map.  No idea if this is actual # of consultants or if these are the consultants who wanted to be listed, but that's a ton of market saturation!

https://www.lularoe.com/shop-lularoe/

As for the new Noir collection, WTH is pastel black?  Gray, perhaps?  Or is it the color that their black will fade to after a wash?  The current running joke is that they have taken all the consultant returns and dyed them black for this new line.  :)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #622 on: November 10, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
YES! That was something that happened at a jewelry party I went to years ago. At the end of the presentation she talked about being able to hide purchases on the credit card so that husbands wouldn't see.

HORRIFYING! It was treated as a joke and everybody laughed. I couldn't believe it, because the women were all heavy hitters at my church and hiding purchases from your husband just seemed so antithetical from anything I've ever heard about marriage at church.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #623 on: November 10, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »

How shady is that!

I've noticed in all my hobbies (sewing, quilting, knitting, vinyl transfer, nail polish) there is a huge amount of talk of getting purchases hidden from husbands.  It's kind of sickening.

When I was in a triathlon club, one of the male triathletes had a training bike, a fabulously expensive aero road bike and a fabulously expensive triathlon bike. They were all all matt-black Specialized bikes with red graphics and bar tape, because that way he could keep one at the office and not have his wife realise he'd spent four thousand euro on a Venge frameset.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #624 on: November 10, 2017, 09:43:42 AM »
I was scoping out a local (NJ) Women's Expo for my business last month.  It is basically an expo for women to shop.  There were a couple hundred booths set up with things such as jewelry, skincare, oils, tarot readers, hair care, some clothes, and various things like that.  There were not 1, not 2, but 3 LaLaRue booths!!  And one of them was a giant booth that took up two spaces.  Each space is $750 to rent for 2 days.  Crazy!    ...and there were customers in their booths.
As someone who goes to a fair number of expos/conferences/conventions as an exhibitor, I can tell you that $750 for a 10x10 booth is actually on the cheap end of things.  Depending on what show we're at, it can be three times that cost.  Of course, all those MLM sellers are hoping to make back not only their $750, but the cost of the goods they're selling, and then make enough money to take something home.  I find it a bit hard to believe they made a profit :)

I attended a local Women's Conference recently.  A 10 x 10 corner booth was $875, plus the cost of carpeting, walls, electrical and internet access.  They had an entire section of the trade floor devoted to "women owned businesses".  There was a handful of vendors who actually made their own items.  Everything else covered the gamut of the biggest MLM's right now, to the guy on the corner who sells "closeout" 1200 TC sheet sets for $20.  Sadly, most of the women in the trade floor were there to shop.  Only a few of us saw the irony of allowing these MLM's, who exploit women, to be at a women's conference.  I received a survey after the event, and I made my feelings known about the subject.  I doubt it will change anything.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #625 on: November 10, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
Someone posted on facebook today, looking for a "Younique dealer" (a make-up MLM).  I live in a fairly small town (about 14k people).  Curious, I looked on city-data and found that about 6k of those people are female.  Let's say 2/3 of those women are at an age where they wear makeup.  That leaves a max customer base of 4k people to sell to (many of the women in this town don't wear makeup though, and if they do, they use a much cheaper brand you can find at the store...but, we'll go with 4k anyway).

Response to that one request?  27 "bossbabes".  27.  Our town doesn't even have a Walmart, but we have 27 people (at least) trying to hawk an expensive makeup.

I know people want to have a "downline", so they can make money off them, but at some point there are just too many people selling the same thing.  I haven't paid much attention to how many MLM sellers there are for each company, but I think I may start to pay attention.  I know that there were a lot of Visalus (or whatever the shake company was called) sellers for a while, but I think most gave up.

Doesn't it only take like 14 cycles before you have recruited everyone on Earth or so?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #626 on: November 10, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »

Doesn't it only take like 14 cycles before you have recruited everyone on Earth or so?

But that's only true for a pyramid scheme! ;)

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #627 on: November 10, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »

But that's only true for a pyramid scheme! ;)

Not like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOgK8oQep4

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #628 on: November 10, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
YES! That was something that happened at a jewelry party I went to years ago. At the end of the presentation she talked about being able to hide purchases on the credit card so that husbands wouldn't see.

Typical in Mary Kay also. They say "it's easier to beg forgiveness, than to ask for permission". Meaning you should use the credit card to buy 5K of inventory, then beg for forgiveness if the husband finds out.

I'm sure hiding financial issues from one's spouse is a great formula for a successful marriage.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #629 on: November 13, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
Yes, 14 levels of recruits with each distributor recruiting 3 distributors under them comes to about 7.2 billion people. It might take 22 cycles if every distributor only recruits 2 people as direct downlines, or only 11 cycles if each level recurits 4. Gotta build the business, sales don't really matter.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
Check out the LLR map.  No idea if this is actual # of consultants or if these are the consultants who wanted to be listed, but that's a ton of market saturation!

As for the new Noir collection, WTH is pastel black?  Gray, perhaps?  Or is it the color that their black will fade to after a wash?  The current running joke is that they have taken all the consultant returns and dyed them black for this new line.  :)

It's not all the consultants.  I know a few people who are and they are not on the map.  So, the market is even more saturated that the map shows.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2017, 03:54:28 PM »
Just recently had a good friend's spouse start up with Monat that recently starting posting more and more desperately. (such as #friendshelpfriends along with a plea for purchases).

I'd usually just ignore this, but this is such a close friend that it will come up and make for some rather awkward conversations.

I was hoping to strike a firm stance on that I don't support MLM's but believe that will lead into a huge conversation of what an MLM is and how Monat must not be one. I have tried finding specific information on this company but they use all the normal tricks (paid for "Is this a scam?" websites that are actually just schilling the product along, etc)

Is anyone good at sleuthing out specific income disclosure statements from these companies. I was under the impression that they had to release these under law (in Canada) but can't seem to find one for Monat. I believe the best argument is similar to the other statements I've read that all lead to "nobody makes any money at these"

ie: https://www.talentedladiesclub.com/articles/why-were-not-publishing-any-more-mlm-income-disclosure-statements/

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #632 on: November 13, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »

It's not all the consultants.  I know a few people who are and they are not on the map.  So, the market is even more saturated that the map shows.

Don't remember where I read it, but there was a lot of controversy in the publication of this map.  Some people were former consultants, some were current, etc, but they were just put on the map without their knowledge.  One woman found out about the map when she got a knock at some ungodly hour, from a woman she didn't know, demanding a refund for damaged leggings that she got from another seller! 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »
Just recently had a good friend's spouse start up with Monat that recently starting posting more and more desperately. (such as #friendshelpfriends along with a plea for purchases).

I'd usually just ignore this, but this is such a close friend that it will come up and make for some rather awkward conversations.

I was hoping to strike a firm stance on that I don't support MLM's but believe that will lead into a huge conversation of what an MLM is and how Monat must not be one. I have tried finding specific information on this company but they use all the normal tricks (paid for "Is this a scam?" websites that are actually just schilling the product along, etc)

Is anyone good at sleuthing out specific income disclosure statements from these companies. I was under the impression that they had to release these under law (in Canada) but can't seem to find one for Monat. I believe the best argument is similar to the other statements I've read that all lead to "nobody makes any money at these"

ie: https://www.talentedladiesclub.com/articles/why-were-not-publishing-any-more-mlm-income-disclosure-statements/

Their compensation plan (for the US anyway)

http://monatglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Compensation-Plan_US_052017.pdf

I found this for Canada...

http://www.average2awesome.com/uploads/1/6/0/6/16063634/canadian-compensation-plan.pdf

This is on the last page (bolding is mine, for emphasis):

"The primary source of income of a typical participant in the Compensation Plan (the “Plan” or the “Canadian Plan”) of MONAT Global Canada ULC. (“MONAT”) is from compensation on personal and downline sales of products and/or services. Personal earnings will vary. A Typical Participant in the Plan is defined as a participant who actively engages in the activities necessary to realize the benefits of the Plan (i.e. has achieved at least the rank of Managing Market Partner).
A Typical Participant in the Plan earns between Cdn $22 and $1,188 annualized.

Please note that these earnings are estimates and have been derived from the earnings experience of MONAT’s U.S. parent company, which operates similar and comparable compensation plans, selling comparable products in the United States and worldwide. These earnings estimates will be reviewed after 6 months of operation of the Canadian Plan. After one year, this Statement of Typical Participant Earnings will be updated with compensation actually received by typical participants in the Canadian Plan, and then updated annually thereafter."

So, a typical seller could make $1.83 to $99 per month!  Ouch.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #634 on: November 13, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »

How shady is that!

When I was in a triathlon club, one of the male triathletes had a training bike, a fabulously expensive aero road bike and a fabulously expensive triathlon bike. They were all all matt-black Specialized bikes with red graphics and bar tape, because that way he could keep one at the office and not have his wife realise he'd spent four thousand euro on a Venge frameset.

A Christian girl who was friends with my husband's family got married young. As soon as the wedding was over, she started buying baby things - not a onesie here or there, but the big ticket items. She bought a pram, cot, a baby bath, car seat, etc, and had them all delivered to her workplace so the husband wouldn't know. She also recently 'confessed' on Facebook to having 67 pairs of shoes for her six month-old-daughter.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #635 on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:10 PM »
She bought a pram, cot, a baby bath, car seat, etc, and had them all delivered to her workplace so the husband wouldn't know.

Did she keep them in her office? How do you sneak those bulky things into a house?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #636 on: November 13, 2017, 09:34:44 PM »

By that comparison, panhandling is downright lucrative and much less stressful.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #637 on: November 14, 2017, 01:52:01 AM »

By that comparison, panhandling is downright lucrative and much less stressful.
And in general, in those "compensation plan" disclosures, this is the amount received *before* substracting expenses. The typical seller actually loses money in these schemes, if they properly take expenses into account.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #638 on: November 14, 2017, 07:21:25 AM »
Tis the season!  So far I have been invited to a Pampered Chef Party at a friend's house and for an online Young Living EO party.

I also saw some flyers for local craft fairs and they listed the types of vendors.  At first I was excited about the craft fairs because I crochet and knit and am considering doing a craft fair next year, then I saw that out of 50 vendors so far signed up about 30 of them were MLM companies!  How are those even in the same category as crafts?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #639 on: November 14, 2017, 08:48:37 AM »
Want wants to work that hard for $1500 a year? Who wants to strain their social relations that hard for $1500?

Most regular folks could probably find multiples of that in savings if they applied MMM tactics to their family spending.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #640 on: November 14, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
Did she keep them in her office? How do you sneak those bulky things into a house?
Probably had an office baby shower and brought home the bulk of the purchases along with the gifts from the shower.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #641 on: November 14, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
Their compensation plan (for the US anyway)

http://monatglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Compensation-Plan_US_052017.pdf

I found this for Canada...

http://www.average2awesome.com/uploads/1/6/0/6/16063634/canadian-compensation-plan.pdf

This is on the last page (bolding is mine, for emphasis):

"The primary source of income of a typical participant in the Compensation Plan (the “Plan” or the “Canadian Plan”) of MONAT Global Canada ULC. (“MONAT”) is from compensation on personal and downline sales of products and/or services. Personal earnings will vary. A Typical Participant in the Plan is defined as a participant who actively engages in the activities necessary to realize the benefits of the Plan (i.e. has achieved at least the rank of Managing Market Partner).
A Typical Participant in the Plan earns between Cdn $22 and $1,188 annualized.

Please note that these earnings are estimates and have been derived from the earnings experience of MONAT’s U.S. parent company, which operates similar and comparable compensation plans, selling comparable products in the United States and worldwide. These earnings estimates will be reviewed after 6 months of operation of the Canadian Plan. After one year, this Statement of Typical Participant Earnings will be updated with compensation actually received by typical participants in the Canadian Plan, and then updated annually thereafter."

Thank you! I totally missed that last line... and I find it quite hilarious that the Canadian document says they will update within 6 months and then they completely remove that line from their later statements. Those 6 months must have showed that it was even worse than 1.83 to 99 per month.

I wish there was more of a push for regulation on these companies, they are literally ruining peoples lives while focusing on the most vulnerable population to these scams. Failed pyramid scheme legislation.. just having a product doesn't make it not predacious.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #642 on: November 14, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
I got suckered into one of these many many years ago.  I was young and dumb but don't regret it because I learned a valuable lesson! Anyway, I was following Dave Ramsey at the time and desperately trying to get my debts paid off, I was making decent money but wanted to make as much as I could to ramp things up faster.  I was told it was a very different type of company.  I don't remember the name of it anymore (maybe someone else on here will recognize it).  Anyway, it's a company where you sign people up for services that they are already using, but when they sign up through you then you get a small percentage each time they pay their monthly bill.  Services like cell phones, cable tv, internet, even some electricity.  It was 100% an MLM as you also had to sign people up to start working under you  and also get people to sign up, and so on.  My friend that got me involved told me it was how he was able to take a year off of work and spend time with his daughter instead.  He gave a good talk so I got involved.

Anyway, my ONE requirement when I signed up was that I would NOT for ANY reason bug family/friends.  I would offer it to them if they wanted but I would not pressure anyone.  I told them they had to show me different ways to gain customers or I would not be involved.  They promised it would be easy to find customers because most people have cell phones, electricity, cable, satellite tv, etc...

Within days of signing up my "mentor" tried to force me into giving him the phone numbers of everyone in my family/friends list so he could call them all and pester them.  When I refused he got upset and tried to tell me it was required.  He drove me nuts for weeks, I started completely ignoring his messages and when I would listen to his voicemails they always sounded like he was talking to me like a little kid and I needed to do what the "grownup" told me to do. (Not really of course, but that's how it felt).

I called and cancelled my "membership" and never spoke to him again.

Awhile later the friend of mine who talked me into signing up admitted that it was all a scam and he never really made any money off of it.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #643 on: November 14, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »

Thank you! I totally missed that last line... and I find it quite hilarious that the Canadian document says they will update within 6 months and then they completely remove that line from their later statements. Those 6 months must have showed that it was even worse than 1.83 to 99 per month.

I wish there was more of a push for regulation on these companies, they are literally ruining peoples lives while focusing on the most vulnerable population to these scams. Failed pyramid scheme legislation.. just having a product doesn't make it not predacious.

If you are looking for the ultimate article in MLM's in general, John Taylor has produced a great article called "Multi-Level Marketing Unmasked: A Complete and Compelling Case against MLM as an Unfair and Deceptive Practice"  This a 476 page read.  Its a convincing, logical, worthwhile read.  I do believe there is a 40 page condensed version of this.  I'll attach the condensed version for your convenience (but the last time I did this, it only posted on this forum for a short while.  The full version is worth reading.)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #644 on: November 14, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
I got suckered into one of these many many years ago.  I was young and dumb but don't regret it because I learned a valuable lesson! Anyway, I was following Dave Ramsey at the time and desperately trying to get my debts paid off, I was making decent money but wanted to make as much as I could to ramp things up faster.  I was told it was a very different type of company.  I don't remember the name of it anymore (maybe someone else on here will recognize it).  Anyway, it's a company where you sign people up for services that they are already using, but when they sign up through you then you get a small percentage each time they pay their monthly bill.  Services like cell phones, cable tv, internet, even some electricity.  It was 100% an MLM as you also had to sign people up to start working under you  and also get people to sign up, and so on.  My friend that got me involved told me it was how he was able to take a year off of work and spend time with his daughter instead.  He gave a good talk so I got involved.

Anyway, my ONE requirement when I signed up was that I would NOT for ANY reason bug family/friends.  I would offer it to them if they wanted but I would not pressure anyone.  I told them they had to show me different ways to gain customers or I would not be involved.  They promised it would be easy to find customers because most people have cell phones, electricity, cable, satellite tv, etc...

Within days of signing up my "mentor" tried to force me into giving him the phone numbers of everyone in my family/friends list so he could call them all and pester them.  When I refused he got upset and tried to tell me it was required.  He drove me nuts for weeks, I started completely ignoring his messages and when I would listen to his voicemails they always sounded like he was talking to me like a little kid and I needed to do what the "grownup" told me to do. (Not really of course, but that's how it felt).

I called and cancelled my "membership" and never spoke to him again.

Awhile later the friend of mine who talked me into signing up admitted that it was all a scam and he never really made any money off of it.

They're still around in some form.  I don't remember the name, but I remember being hit up for this kind of service within the last year or two (State Fair? Somebody had a booth or a table).  Now it's going to bug me until I figure it out.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: November 14, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »

Anyway, my ONE requirement when I signed up was that I would NOT for ANY reason bug family/friends. 

Within days of signing up my "mentor" tried to force me into giving him the phone numbers of everyone in my family/friends list so he could call them all and pester them. 

This is the challenge -- many sales "jobs" require you to provide a contact list that you start calling to generate sales, starting with friends and family.   This includes the commissioned vacuum cleaner sales (filter queen,kirby etc), financial product sales (some of which are MLM), cutco knives, legal aid contracts, and the utility contracts.

Some of these sales jobs even generate some commission $'s for the people that start working for them, for a little while.. but usually far less than minimum wage.   

Oh so many of them know that you will only sell to a few family and friends, and then you are done.   You are only "hired" on commission to sell a few units to your grandmother, who wants to help you succeed, but doesn't need a knife set..

The challenge with the MLM scenario posted by mydogismyheart -- is that your UPLINE wants to use your contact list to generate commissions for himself!!  Sometimes it is under the guise of training you, but in the end the $$'s goes to your "trainer", not you because they fill out the form and sign the client up directly under the trainer's name.   YUCK.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #646 on: November 14, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »

Anyway, my ONE requirement when I signed up was that I would NOT for ANY reason bug family/friends. 

Within days of signing up my "mentor" tried to force me into giving him the phone numbers of everyone in my family/friends list so he could call them all and pester them. 

This is the challenge -- many sales "jobs" require you to provide a contact list that you start calling to generate sales, starting with friends and family.   This includes the commissioned vacuum cleaner sales (filter queen,kirby etc), financial product sales (some of which are MLM), cutco knives, legal aid contracts, and the utility contracts.

Some of these sales jobs even generate some commission $'s for the people that start working for them, for a little while.. but usually far less than minimum wage.   

Oh so many of them know that you will only sell to a few family and friends, and then you are done.   You are only "hired" on commission to sell a few units to your grandmother, who wants to help you succeed, but doesn't need a knife set..

The challenge with the MLM scenario posted by mydogismyheart -- is that your UPLINE wants to use your contact list to generate commissions for himself!!  Sometimes it is under the guise of training you, but in the end the $$'s goes to your "trainer", not you because they fill out the form and sign the client up directly under the trainer's name.   YUCK.

There is a huge misconception that the old-school door-to-door salesman gets paid the same as those that are in MLMs.  Old-school door-to-door salesman do NOT get paid the same as those that are in MLMs - as the old school salesman gets most of his income from the sales of the product and some from his ("guaranteed") hourly wage/salary.  The MLM promotor rarely makes money from sales and "makes" his/her money from recruiting and having a "downline."  As earlier mentioned, to make commission from the downline, they need to make monthly/ongoing purchases.  So ultimately, the vast majority of money they receive is from those in their downline and all/most of their profit is also going to their upline.  This by definition, is a pyramid scheme.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #647 on: November 14, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
I was unclear.  I am not saying that commissioned sales people == MLMs, just that the poster's comment about the upline taking your contact leads for themselves is similar between some MLMs and some commissioned sales jobs.

All of the companies I named are supposed to pay minimum wages to employees as a "floor", and none of them here do, rather the "sales person" gets pushed out shortly after they hand over their personal contact lists.   At the end of the day that $99 per month  MLM income listed is pretty typical of the sales commissions received by my friends.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: November 17, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
Wow I just don't know where to start with this.

I heard an ad on the radio for a LuLaRoe Holiday Extravaganza.  Apparently 48 LuLaRoe distributors are getting together to have a big sale for the holidays.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #649 on: November 17, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »
I heard a statistic that only a small percent of people who work commission-only sales jobs, earn enough to make a living. Can't remember the percent but it was five percent, maybe? My impression is that the company who employs them doesn't really care if they earn a living or not. If they sell even one product, the company makes money. They will also make exaggerated claims about the earning potential of the job.

There's been an increase in door-to-door salespeople since the Do Not Call registry went into effect, making telemarketing more difficult.