Author Topic: No, I won't buy into your MLM  (Read 639068 times)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Re: No, I won't buy into your MLM
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
Today, I'm incredibly blessed to be able to stay home with my children. I'm here for all of the big "firsts" and for all of the perfect moments in between. My face is the one my children see when they wake up. Rodan + Fields has already been life changing for me and I'm only in my first month of business, though I've been using the products for 10 months. So today, I'd like to bless YOU with a gift if you place an order today: a FREE Redefine Eye Cream ($62 value).
If you take advantage of one our amazing bundle deals happening right now, this is a savings of OVER $150! Message me to cash in on this deal! You can always just comment how adorable my sweet (baby's name) is sleeping too.

I can imagine this appeals to people who think they're being financially smart. Saving $150! wow! And just what they need, redefining eye cream.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #401 on: August 30, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »
Today, I'm incredibly blessed to be able to stay home with my children. I'm here for all of the big "firsts" and for all of the perfect moments in between. My face is the one my children see when they wake up. Rodan + Fields has already been life changing for me and I'm only in my first month of business, though I've been using the products for 10 months. So today, I'd like to bless YOU with a gift if you place an order today: a FREE Redefine Eye Cream ($62 value).
If you take advantage of one our amazing bundle deals happening right now, this is a savings of OVER $150! Message me to cash in on this deal! You can always just comment how adorable my sweet (baby's name) is sleeping too.

I can imagine this appeals to people who think they're being financially smart. Saving $150! wow! And just what they need, redefining eye cream.

How did they define eye cream prior to that point?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »
I didnt read back 9 pages, did the first but by me and on my facebook it seemed like two years ago I couldnt check my FB page with out a pitch for Norwex , now the adds are even more aggressive but its all plexus. Is that an MLM? I am  just shocked how many people I know are pushing the stuff. Alot of times it seems to be the same people going from one to another or selling more than one.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »
[...] now the adds are even more aggressive but its all plexus. Is that an MLM?
Yes.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
Yes.

Thanks, Thats what I thought. Started with one person and now at least a half a dozen. And they are intense.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
Yes.

Plexus has an FDA warning letter out against it. They claim all kinds of outrageous and contradictory health outcomes. Stay far, far away from it.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: August 31, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »
Someone recently in a facebook discussion group insisted that MLMs are smart because "that's how Warren Buffett got rich".

I guess Buffet/Berkshire owns Pampered Chef. But I think it is a pretty safe bet that PC is not the primary driver of Berkshire growth.

I see that PC websites really like to tout Buffet's name to try to get new consultants. But this is what we've always known, MLM really is a great way to get rich .... but only if you own the whole dang company.

They acquired Pampered Chef in 2002. Buffett has been investing since the 1950s, and has been a billionaire since the 1990s. So Pampered Chef has nothing to do with his accumulation of wealth.

But they must believe he started out as a Pampered Chef Consultant.

It's so sad i could almost cry.

:(

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »
Warren Buffet has never invited me to a Pampered Chef party.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #408 on: September 02, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
The worst thing about all the 4 people who tried to get me to MLM was that they all believe and one of them still believes that there is going to be future rewards there as long as he stays in it. The worst thing is how hard one of them is trying to get me into it. Invite me to seminars, etc. In college, a guy I was helping with an essay is the first person who tried to introduce me to it but I was a curious person in those days and I told him, you know this sounds like a pyramid scheme... Is this even legal? At that time, I thought it wasn't legal and it was super fishy. I mean pay to enter, recruit people, etc.

I had to explain to a person that I am in a career right now with future prospects. If I put in the time he puts into MLM in to my actual job and continue networking and enhancing my resume, I could be making six figures in the future. If I dislike my current company, I can easily go to another with the skill set I've acquired.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: September 03, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »

Me neither. I feel so hurt. :(

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: September 03, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
The worst thing about all the 4 people who tried to get me to MLM was that they all believe and one of them still believes that there is going to be future rewards there as long as he stays in it. The worst thing is how hard one of them is trying to get me into it. Invite me to seminars, etc. In college, a guy I was helping with an essay is the first person who tried to introduce me to it but I was a curious person in those days and I told him, you know this sounds like a pyramid scheme... Is this even legal? At that time, I thought it wasn't legal and it was super fishy. I mean pay to enter, recruit people, etc.

I had to explain to a person that I am in a career right now with future prospects. If I put in the time he puts into MLM in to my actual job and continue networking and enhancing my resume, I could be making six figures in the future. If I dislike my current company, I can easily go to another with the skill set I've acquired.

The same way an MLM person can go to a new MLM with the skills they've acquired.  Skills like paying money to join, destroying past friendships in a single message, and posting on Facebook all day.  You know, highly valued life skills. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:26:28 AM by JAYSLOL »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #411 on: September 04, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
The same way an MLM person can go to a new MLM with the skills they've acquired.  Skills like paying money to join, destroying past friendships in a single message, and posting on Facebook all day.  You know, highly valued life skills.

:(

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2017, 06:24:37 AM »
I just realized that only one letter (in the English Alphabet) separates MLM from MMM. And that one letter makes a HUGE difference in so many ways.
/DaytimeMusings

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »

I would buy some stoneware for that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »

I would buy some stoneware for that.

Seriously- I'd go to a Warren Buffet MLM any day. I'd buy all kinds of cookware, Jamberry, Younique, ugly leggings, whatever.

Think of how much the auctioned off sit-downs go with him each year.  And you get to chat with him just to buy some books, wraps, shakes, candles, whatever else home party sales sell.  :)

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »

For those who haven't seen it: https://youtu.be/s6MwGeOm8iI John Oliver is always fantastic =) He swears a lot though, so be warned for 'sensitive ears'.

Oh, but you should see his piece on "retirement plans" a/k/a financial advisers and fees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZSpET11ZY

This video is soooo funny!!  Totally worth the 30 minutes..... now off to watch some of his other stuff.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
I just realized that only one letter (in the English Alphabet) separates MLM from MMM. And that one letter makes a HUGE difference in so many ways.
/DaytimeMusings

Blow your mind even more... MOM.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
/DaytimeMusings

But O is 3 letters away.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2017, 06:12:05 AM »
/DaytimeMusings

But O is 3 letters away.

I cannot compute this mom joke.
But I know that MOM's slap can come fast and furious.
Source: #JingaNationLifeExperience

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #419 on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
PSA:
Timeless Vie ( https://timelessvie.wordpress.com ) is one of the groups trying to bring awareness about the bad practices of MLM.
They've recently been the victims of malicious reports on facebook, and as a result their facebook page has been taken down.

There is a petition to bring it back:
https://www.change.org/p/facebook-bring-back-timeless-vie-on-facebook

They are one of the few websites trying to show the truth out about MLM and are one of the reasons I was able to see the problems when my little brother tried to get me to join his "great business opportunity". So, spreading the word if you want awareness groups like this one to survive: feel free to sign the petition.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: September 25, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
A good friend of ours (officiant at our wedding) sells Advocare and has invited us to multiple "events" but we always turn him down.  We have made it very clear that we will drink the shakes or whatever if he gives them to us, but we will not spend $0.01 on them.  Last week DH told me that this friend had invited us to a party at his house.  I inquired about whether it was a sales pitch and he said no.  He said he asked our friend if it was an Advocare thing and the friend said no, it was a bunch of friends coming over.  We showed up and he didn't actually lie to us - there was another Advocare seller there and he had a table set up in the kitchen, but it wasn't just an Advocare thing.  They had 4 other couples/friends there, each with a table set up selling stuff.  In their house!  The den had a lady selling clothes and bags and LulaRoe, the living room had someone selling artwork and someone selling Mary Kay, and the dining room had someone selling travel/vacation packages. 

Apparently they invited lots of friends over to "hangout" and buy stuff from their other friends.  We didn't buy anything, but it was really hard to try and stay polite, while these women I've just met are trying to sell me clothes and makeup.  That is never happening again, and DH will have to be very specific when he gets the details about future "parties"

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
A good friend of ours (officiant at our wedding) sells Advocare and has invited us to multiple "events" but we always turn him down.  We have made it very clear that we will drink the shakes or whatever if he gives them to us, but we will not spend $0.01 on them.  Last week DH told me that this friend had invited us to a party at his house.  I inquired about whether it was a sales pitch and he said no.  He said he asked our friend if it was an Advocare thing and the friend said no, it was a bunch of friends coming over.  We showed up and he didn't actually lie to us - there was another Advocare seller there and he had a table set up in the kitchen, but it wasn't just an Advocare thing.  They had 4 other couples/friends there, each with a table set up selling stuff.  In their house!  The den had a lady selling clothes and bags and LulaRoe, the living room had someone selling artwork and someone selling Mary Kay, and the dining room had someone selling travel/vacation packages. 

Apparently they invited lots of friends over to "hangout" and buy stuff from their other friends.  We didn't buy anything, but it was really hard to try and stay polite, while these women I've just met are trying to sell me clothes and makeup.  That is never happening again, and DH will have to be very specific when he gets the details about future "parties"

Well, they didn't buy anything from you, either, so you should be off the hook!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #422 on: September 25, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »

Is there a record to be broken on how many MLM products can be sold under the same roof? That makes me want to post the Ron Burgundy "I'm not mad, I'm impressed' meme.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #423 on: September 26, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »

It's sad that adults these days can't just get together to have fun and talk. Everything seems to revolve around sales and recruiting.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: September 26, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »

It's sad that adults these days can't just get together to have fun and talk. Everything seems to revolve around sales and recruiting.

I agree completely.  With all of our other friends we get together and have dinner, or game night.  I had never actually met this particular friend's wife, because we always say we need to get together but anytime they invite us to something it is a sales pitch.  If we invite them over, they can't come because they have something going on with their kids.  I was starting to feel guilty about it so we jumped at the chance to go to a party at their house.  Apparently that was a bad idea.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #425 on: September 26, 2017, 10:09:16 AM »

I agree completely.  With all of our other friends we get together and have dinner, or game night.  I had never actually met this particular friend's wife, because we always say we need to get together but anytime they invite us to something it is a sales pitch.  If we invite them over, they can't come because they have something going on with their kids.  I was starting to feel guilty about it so we jumped at the chance to go to a party at their house.  Apparently that was a bad idea.

I hope this doesn't ever become part of my social life. I get together with friends for dinner parties and game nights and I would be pissed at all if it ever starts becoming a MLM thing. Of course I haven't been asked to buy anything from an MLM for ages, I credit it to me being honest when someone tried to pitch me, I told them, "I'm not going to buy that crap!" Felt guilty right away, but then smiled once I realized that this "friend" (more someone I know than a friend) wasn't going to bother pitching me again.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #426 on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
Some of these products I never even heard of until this thread except for Avon and Lularoe.  I see Lularoe is starting to turn on its salespeople already.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #427 on: September 26, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »

Odd: business happens quite a bit at some of my parties, but it's not of the MLM type. Two guests, who start out as strangers but who become friendly over the course of the evening or else who know each other slightly but aren't close, suddenly realize they have an alignment of interests. One woman realized that her friend was an extremely good dog groomer, and started bringing her dogs to her. A drummer from one of my jam sessions got recruited by another guest who was putting a band together. A quilter who does longarm topstitching work for hire picked up a commission from the dog groomer. Then of course there's what I call the "gift shift": someone has something they don't use anymore, like an old chicken coop or a bunch of yarn scraps or baby clothes, who gives them to someone else who can use them. All of this builds trust, community, and social capital. Giving that up to push MLM doesn't make sense to me.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #428 on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »

I'm in a moms of multiples club, and none of the women seem to be interested at all in social gatherings, unless it involves them being able to pitch their MLM.  I'd say about 50-60% of the moms in this group are involved in MLM. They join social groups for that very purpose. They aren't really interested in making friends. Some send me friend requests on facebook as part of their MLM networking. I've never met them and don't accept friend requests from people I haven't met in person.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #429 on: September 26, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »

No, he absolutely lied to you.  These multi-sales parties are pretty common around here; but thank god my friends don't try to trick us into showing up.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #430 on: September 26, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »

No, he absolutely lied to you.  These multi-sales parties are pretty common around here; but thank god my friends don't try to trick us into showing up.

Anyone who did that to me would no longer be my friend. There are just so many better ways to entertain.

I'm also a fan of honesty in entertainment. If I'm going to host, say, a wedding shower or a baby shower for someone, I come right out and say so. People still come, because the shower events are not lame.

The last wedding shower I hosted involved team BattleShots and Cards Against Humanity. A few years ago I threw a "manly tool party" as a groom shower; I made him register at a couple hardware stores that interested him, there was a keg of beer, and on a whim I wrote "dress like a pirate" on each invitation. Most people did, and I duct taped a pirate hook to the guest of honor's dominant hand and made him open packages that way. There have been linen themed tea parties for teetotaler brides, a jam session for a musical groom-to-be, and one of the next showers I'm planning is going to be a quilting bee. Those who have sewing machines will bring them, everyone will contribute labor as opposed to things that cost money (I can find work for the non-crafters at the cutting table or the ironing board), and the soon to be married couple will end up with an awesome quilt that they get to see made.

In fairness, a MLM themed party where all the guests are MLM'ers might just constitute a "fun" theme party where they all agree to buy each other's overpriced crap. But I'd hate to go to such a thing myself; I'd feel like the only human at a vampire convention.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: September 26, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »

Anyone who did that to me would no longer be my friend. There are just so many better ways to entertain.
In fairness, a MLM themed party where all the guests are MLM'ers might just constitute a "fun" theme party where they all agree to buy each other's overpriced crap. But I'd hate to go to such a thing myself; I'd feel like the only human at a vampire convention.

Particularly if the party organizer knows for a fact you're not an MLM participant and you've expressed reservations about being around those activities in the past.  As we've discussed on here plenty of times, the business model of MLMs requires you and sometimes flat out encourages the unrepentant exploitation of personal relationships.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: September 26, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »

I'm also a fan of honesty in entertainment. If I'm going to host, say, a wedding shower or a baby shower for someone, I come right out and say so. People still come, because the shower events are not lame.

The last wedding shower I hosted involved team BattleShots and Cards Against Humanity. A few years ago I threw a "manly tool party" as a groom shower; I made him register at a couple hardware stores that interested him, there was a keg of beer, and on a whim I wrote "dress like a pirate" on each invitation. Most people did, and I duct taped a pirate hook to the guest of honor's dominant hand and made him open packages that way. There have been linen themed tea parties for teetotaler brides, a jam session for a musical groom-to-be, and one of the next showers I'm planning is going to be a quilting bee. Those who have sewing machines will bring them, everyone will contribute labor as opposed to things that cost money (I can find work for the non-crafters at the cutting table or the ironing board), and the soon to be married couple will end up with an awesome quilt that they get to see made.

These are the absolute best shower ideas I've ever seen in my life.  Job well done!

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #433 on: September 26, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
This is from Living Stingy: "Any business relationship predicated on a lie, no matter how trivial, will inevitably go downhill from there."

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: September 26, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
This is from Living Stingy: "Any business relationship predicated on a lie, no matter how trivial, will inevitably go downhill from there."

Filed under the category of "Well, no shit."  It's sad that that statement has to be put to paper to remind folks.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 26, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »

Regarding "tricks", many of them trick people in various ways. Premier Jewelry parties, the host would promise a free gift for everyone who showed up. They had jewelry displays, but didn't want to sell any of the jewelry. The hostess even shooed people away from the table. Instead, they wanted the guests to sit down in hard, metal folding chairs and listen to a 2-hour long pitch of the business. They were recruiting. At the end, if you said you didn't want to work the business, they forced you to give the boxed gift back to them.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

Regarding "tricks", many of them trick people in various ways. Premier Jewelry parties, the host would promise a free gift for everyone who showed up. They had jewelry displays, but didn't want to sell any of the jewelry. The hostess even shooed people away from the table. Instead, they wanted the guests to sit down in hard, metal folding chairs and listen to a 2-hour long pitch of the business. They were recruiting. At the end, if you said you didn't want to work the business, they forced you to give the boxed gift back to them.

That's horrible!!

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: September 26, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

"Oh sure. Of course you can have MY gift back. Here you g... oh whoops silly me I'm so clumsy and now it's broken."

I have received another Facebook "invite" today. From someone who hasn't contacted me in over 15 years. R+F skinfresh. Delete. Unfriend.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: September 26, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »

The Premier Jewelry parties that I've attended were way more pleasant and focused on the jewelry than that!

BUT - the "free gift" is always a trick. At the ones I've been to, inside the box is a piece of jewelry that you could keep if you agreed to host a party. If you didn't want to host a party, you had to return the box/jewelry. Some gift!

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #439 on: September 26, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
Last week DH told me that this friend had invited us to a party flea market taking place at his house. 

FIFY

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »

That's horrible!!

Oh yes, it was rude, I just gave it back to them. I found out later that the gift was a cheap, stretchy bracelet with plastic beads. Crap jewelry.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »

That's horrible!!

Oh yes, it was rude, I just gave it back to them. I found out later that the gift was a cheap, stretchy bracelet with plastic beads. Crap jewelry.

How else could they afford to hand them out as gifts?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #442 on: September 27, 2017, 08:05:38 AM »

That's horrible!!

How else could they afford to hand them out as gifts?

I propose a spontaneous return gift of a generous mooning, en route to the door.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #443 on: September 27, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
Just be wary any time a "free gift" is offered. There are often strings attached and/or the gift is worthless. Years ago, my friend hosted a Mary Kay party in her home, providing all the food, drinks and cleaning up afterward. The MK rep had promised a free lipstick for hosting the party. Which would be a small token of appreciation. However, what she gave her instead was a lipstick sample, just a small pat of lipstick on a piece of cardboard. It was so tacky, considering how hard my friend had worked to host the party for this woman. She didn't even get a thank you note in the mail. Can these ladies get any tackier??

On a personal note, I can't stand those little pink polyester suits that MK women wear with the stick pins and scarf. I can see them coming a mile away. They are everywhere in my city, where MK has it's corporate headquarters.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:21:50 AM by Chesleygirl »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #444 on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Just be wary any time a "free gift" is offered. There are often strings attached and/or the gift is worthless.

I tried a few of those "sign up for free" deals to get coupons or travel points and the like.  To my horror I discovered all the caveats.  They give out your email to dozens of other vendors who spam the hell out of you and they often require you to sign up to other websites without you realizing it. We received a "welcome to the neighborhood" mailer full of coupons for local businesses.  There was a free car wash, no strings attached.  There was a free large one topping pizza, no strings attached(!).  Then there was "sign up for these twice a month boxes of snacks we'll mail to your door. The first one is free, we just need your credit card info."  Yeah, I've seen this movie before.  Despite them saying it's for admin purposes, they'll manage to squeeze at least one payment from you before you can cancel.  The form even said on top "you only pay for the boxes you order" while the bottom of the form said "it's a monthly subscription." That one went into the trash.  It took my wife and I a few bruises before we learned to put up the armor against hard-sell tactics too. We've found it much easier to just ignore a product or deal that may actually be beneficial if the free gift or too-good-to-be-true alarm goes off.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #445 on: September 27, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »
Just be wary any time a "free gift" is offered. There are often strings attached and/or the gift is worthless.

I tried a few of those "sign up for free" deals to get coupons or travel points and the like.  To my horror I discovered all the caveats.  They give out your email to dozens of other vendors who spam the hell out of you and they often require you to sign up to other websites without you realizing it. We received a "welcome to the neighborhood" mailer full of coupons for local businesses.  There was a free car wash, no strings attached.  There was a free large one topping pizza, no strings attached(!).  Then there was "sign up for these twice a month boxes of snacks we'll mail to your door. The first one is free, we just need your credit card info."  Yeah, I've seen this movie before.  Despite them saying it's for admin purposes, they'll manage to squeeze at least one payment from you before you can cancel.  The form even said on top "you only pay for the boxes you order" while the bottom of the form said "it's a monthly subscription." That one went into the trash.  It took my wife and I a few bruises before we learned to put up the armor against hard-sell tactics too. We've found it much easier to just ignore a product or deal that may actually be beneficial if the free gift or too-good-to-be-true alarm goes off.

I've used my credit card to pay for things and found later they were billing me every month. Now I am extremely wary of using a credit card for anything, any reason. Some companies will charge you for things, without your authorization. They will milk the card as often as they can. Many customers may never notice the charges on their bill.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
Just be wary any time a "free gift" is offered. There are often strings attached and/or the gift is worthless. Years ago, my friend hosted a Mary Kay party in her home, providing all the food, drinks and cleaning up afterward. The MK rep had promised a free lipstick for hosting the party. Which would be a small token of appreciation. However, what she gave her instead was a lipstick sample, just a small pat of lipstick on a piece of cardboard. It was so tacky, considering how hard my friend had worked to host the party for this woman. She didn't even get a thank you note in the mail. Can these ladies get any tackier??

On a personal note, I can't stand those little pink polyester suits that MK women wear with the stick pins and scarf. I can see them coming a mile away. They are everywhere in my city, where MK has it's corporate headquarters.
Years ago i worked with someone who sold Mary Kay. She became such a PIA bothering all the other female employees they started calling her "Mary C*nt" behind her back.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
MLMs bring back some of my worst memories in life.

My parents went broke during the financial crisis, right in 2007. During the process they had each started some personal side businesses that were MLM-related, one of which had been introduced to them by my former private lessons music instructor, who was on his own downward cycle. Unlike him and his wife, my parents didn't later divorce, something I'm eternally grateful for.

My mom got involved with a health product. We were always kind of a junk food family, though not morbidly obese. I think she felt bad. She tried to make me take those products as well, which led to some adolescent rage and tears, and eventually she relented. My dad got involved with some side sales of products at gas stations. Frequently items were stolen by customers or the gas stations lied and didn't report the full sales. They lost a lot trying to scrape extra money.

I think my parents, like most people, had a hard time understanding opportunity cost and the cost of one's time. I've had several friends do MLMs for side money, but none ever worked out well for them. From the wikipedia page: "Studies by independent consumer watchdog agencies have shown that between 990 and 999 of every 1000 participants (i.e. between 99.0% and 99.9% of all participants) in MLMs in fact lose money."

If my dad had spent that time and money getting his CLD Class B license, it would have made him untold tens of thousands more over the years. My mom still makes some side cash from candles, not associated with any MLM thank God, but even then they take whole evenings to make for "extra cash" returns.

I would tell anybody, absolutely anybody, to invest in employable skills, or skills that will make you more money, and not to waste time and effort getting scammed....

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
I've used my credit card to pay for things and found later they were billing me every month. Now I am extremely wary of using a credit card for anything, any reason. Some companies will charge you for things, without your authorization. They will milk the card as often as they can. Many customers may never notice the charges on their bill.
I use a credit card for as much as I can to get the 2+% cash back rewards. I've never had someone billing me for something I didn't order or subscribe to. I agree that subscriptions can be a pain to cancel.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
I use a credit card for as much as I can to get the 2+% cash back rewards. I've never had someone billing me for something I didn't order or subscribe to. I agree that subscriptions can be a pain to cancel.

I once had a subscription that I could not cancel. I had the CC company stop payment, instead.