Author Topic: No comedy here  (Read 4545 times)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
No comedy here
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
http://nypost.com/2017/07/28/couple-caught-in-financial-spiral-jump-to-their-deaths/

There's nothing funny about this article, but it is a shame that this couple did this to their children.

They started with student debt for Chiropractic school (eye roll), lived in one of the highest COL cities in the country, sending the kids to private schools to the tune of $38,000 a year. They owed the Feds...and had other debt...until this seemed like a solution.

It's just awful, and yet somehow, instead of feeling sorry for them, I feel frustrated and angry about the kids. How are they going to ever get past this?

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: No comedy here
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:30:54 AM »
😟
Indeed. That's an awfully sad story.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »
Oh man, that's fucked up.  Poor kids, I can't imagine the amount of torment they're going to go through dealing with this.  This is why we need to keep sharing MMM with people

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
insurance might haved paid out more if it hadn't been so blatantly a suicide

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »
It's very sad that money -- which is imaginary and didn't even exist until recent human history -- causes so many people's deaths. Whether it's through murder or suicide. We need to do whatever we can to spread Mustachian principles far and wide. It really could save people's lives.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 03:44:56 AM »
It's very sad that money -- which is imaginary and didn't even exist until recent human history -- causes so many people's deaths.
I wouldn't be sure that life was easier when money wasn't involved. For all we know, money did improve lots of people's lives?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »
It's very sad that money -- which is imaginary and didn't even exist until recent human history -- causes so many people's deaths.
I wouldn't be sure that life was easier when money wasn't involved. For all we know, money did improve lots of people's lives?

I just think it's sad that people kill themselves over the lack of little pieces of paper or numbers on a computer screen. I mean, seriously.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
"Scarpelli titled his typed suicide note, 'WE HAD A WONDERFUL LIFE.'" Guys, that's beautiful. I think they just wanted to go out on the top floor.

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »
I was especially shocked by this article since I grew up in the town where the elder Scarpelli was mayor. And when he was subsequently sent to prison. I can't imagine that was an easy time for the rest of the family, including these two, either.