Author Topic: Nice try Hyundai, LOL  (Read 13350 times)

keith

• Bristles
Nice try Hyundai, LOL
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:26:30 AM »
Received this in the mail today, had a good laugh. Just had to share it...

Its from the dealership, the last place my car was serviced. So obviously they know what model I drive and how many miles are on it. This is the 2nd one of these I have received from them.

Yeah sure, I will get right on this! This sounds like a real emergency. I better call you guys so I can buy a brand new car. 2008 is for suckers!

Left

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Nice try Hyundai, LOL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:30:09 AM »
hm... but they didn't say what price they would offer you for it, I'd say take them up for it if you can get same amount that the new car would cost :D I mean if they wanted the car that badly, they might be willing to pay for it that badly...

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:59:54 AM »
hm... but they didn't say what price they would offer you for it, I'd say take them up for it if you can get same amount that the new car would cost :D I mean if they wanted the car that badly, they might be willing to pay for it that badly...

True, if the price they offered on a new vehicle was the trade-in value of my old car then yes it would make sense. But there is no way that is the case here.

It's a well written canned letter (computer generated). There is no customer. They just want me to come in to trade up and buy a new car.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »
we get these all the time from our Toyota dealership.  My husbands 2006 Toyota Prius is "high demand"...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:45:33 AM »
Woah . . . that's some devious marketing stuff there . . .

mendoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »
Same letter came from Honda after warranty work a few months ago.  It stated "We are looking for 2002 honda CR-V because of their great demand"  I was thinking if there is such demand why on earth would I get rid of it?  Good try honda, but you cannot tempted a frugal guy like me.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:50:06 AM »
Haha, I love that "Friends and family" have to call an 800 number.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »
I had no idea dealerships were doing this. It makes me want to punch baby seals.

I hate dealerships. They make it sound like they're doing you a favor! And the whole while they're going to rip off the other customer, rip you off on a new vehicle, and laugh all the way to the bank.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:16:13 PM by FrugalToque »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 08:19:51 AM »

I have a friend that got one of these (from a manufacturer other than Hyundai.)  To this day he is convinced he was special, had an awesome car that was desirable and got a sweet deal.  He did, of course, buy a new car from that same manufacturer.  It was the least he could do.

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
me too! I got one from Honda. goddammit, now I don't feel that special after reading this news. my 04 Honda Civic isn't the belle of the ball anymore.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »
Yup, I used to get several of these letters for my '06 Prius too.  They always mentioned it was in demand, and that they'd pay 20% over book value.  Sounds great, but why would I give up my in demand Prius?  It's practically an investment!!  LOL

My favorite part of having that car was filling up the tank when gas in NY was almost $5.  One of two things would happen.  The guy in the Hummer would glare at me, or some other customer would walk up and ask questions about the efficiency of the car.  I would always tell them what a great car it is, but I'd also ask how many miles they drove.  It's only cost-effective if you have the most anti-mustachian of commutes!  (I did at the time, 120 miles R/T...)

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
I actually got a few phone calls from Toyota dealers making this offer for my 2010 Corolla.  They were offering new 2013 Corollas (this was back in February or March) for the same monthly payment or less. (sorry, I bought it new for 0% financing before I discovered MMM)  The one guy even said "...new car for the same payment or even less!  Which part of that doesn't sound like a good deal to you?"

I think he shit himself when I said "the new car part."

After that he said have a nice night and hung up.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
I've gotten letters sort of like this before but nothing that is an outright lie like saying the customer actually exists (and not in lawyer-speak). Definitely crosses a line there.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »
I've gotten letters sort of like this before but nothing that is an outright lie like saying the customer actually exists (and not in lawyer-speak). Definitely crosses a line there.

The "customer" is the owner of the dealership, who would certainly love to do a profitable trade in.

Yup, I used to get several of these letters for my '06 Prius too.  They always mentioned it was in demand, and that they'd pay 20% over book value.  Sounds great, but why would I give up my in demand Prius?  It's practically an investment!!  LOL

My favorite part of having that car was filling up the tank when gas in NY was almost $5.  One of two things would happen.  The guy in the Hummer would glare at me, or some other customer would walk up and ask questions about the efficiency of the car.  I would always tell them what a great car it is, but I'd also ask how many miles they drove.  It's only cost-effective if you have the most anti-mustachian of commutes!  (I did at the time, 120 miles R/T...)

I'm guessing the Prius is more cost effective than the hummer nomad get how long your commute is

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
What are you waiting for KEITH!!!!

Haha.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
They make it sound like they're doing you a favor!

This is the most hilarious part to me. The clever wording really makes it feel this way.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »
I was a car salesman at a dealership for all of...um...I don't think I quite made it a month.

Anyways, all they want to do is get you in the dealership, so they can sell you a new car. That's all there is to it.

When we were trying to sell our van semi-quickly before coming to Australia, I had a dealer respond to my craigslist ad. I figured...what the hell, I'll go in. I knew what some were being listed for on Craigslist, and what I'd take if someone made the offer. I made sure they made the first offer and...it was downright fair. Extremely fair considering it was a dealer buying it, and not private party. I thought they'd offer half price, or something crazy. Of course, I never dealt with the guy who responded to the ad, because he was most likely a new car salesman, and expecting to get a new car sale out of the deal.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:16 PM »
A few months ago, I got a form letter just like that for my house.  LOL.

Just another friendly neighborhood realtor doing me a favor.  ; )

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
I've gotten a few of these. My personal favorite version is one in which it appears to be an interoffice memo, "Hey Joe Salesguy, I really want to buy Markstache's 2007 Kia. Offer him any thing he wants! Signed, Fred Bossman." What I am supposed to think? That someone mistakenly put this top secret memo in a letter and sent it to me by accident? *shakes head*

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
I've gotten a few of these. My personal favorite version is one in which it appears to be an interoffice memo, "Hey Joe Salesguy, I really want to buy Markstache's 2007 Kia. Offer him any thing he wants! Signed, Fred Bossman." What I am supposed to think? That someone mistakenly put this top secret memo in a letter and sent it to me by accident? *shakes head*

OMG, that's classic!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »

You should have gone in with the letter and said, "I'd really like $50,000 but I guess I"ll settle for only $30,000."

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 06:58:21 AM »
Well, this is about Honda not about Hyundai...

When I finished my car payments on my 2009 Civic two years ago, I had the dealership calling me and sending me a letter saying the same thing 'your car is in demand' as a used car.  The vibe I got was that since my payments were done, it was of course time to buy a new car.  Of course - you must always have a car payment!!! 

Even in pre-mustache days I thought this was crazy. 

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
I actually got a few phone calls from Toyota dealers making this offer for my 2010 Corolla.  They were offering new 2013 Corollas (this was back in February or March) for the same monthly payment or less. (sorry, I bought it new for 0% financing before I discovered MMM)  The one guy even said "...new car for the same payment or even less!  Which part of that doesn't sound like a good deal to you?"

I think he shit himself when I said "the new car part."

After that he said have a nice night and hung up.

I've been getting the same. The fine print is a financing term of 84 months!!!!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »

I've gotten several letters/fliers from a realtor offering to help me sell my house/condo. Except I live in an apartment building, where every suite is a rental. Sure, I'd love to sell my rented suite. I'd assume the realtor has to pay per piece of mail. Maybe he could skip the 100+ fliers going to the apartment building.

I can't wait to get a letter from Hyundai, since we drive less than 10,000 km per year.  We're keeping that car until we switch to an RV in 10 or so years.

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
I started getting these about 1 month after I bought my Toyota from the same dealership. The first one offered me an "amazing offer" of $11K when I had just bought it for $15K a few weeks before (yeah, pre-mustachian days...) They always said a car like mine with such low miles was in high demand. Yeah, and in high demand by me--which is why I bought it--so stop cutting down trees to send me this crap! Strangely, I haven't received anything since paying it off.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
I have also gotten these letters for my car.  As for the letters I got for my house, they were legit.  Not from a realtor, but from the guy/company who has been buying the rest of the nearly identical houses on my little street, fixing them up and renting them to college students like myself for 50% more than my mortgage.

He's a nice guy and pays in cash, so I'll probably see if he wants to offer in 3-4 years when I'm ready to move. 

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »

I've gotten several letters/fliers from a realtor offering to help me sell my house/condo. Except I live in an apartment building, where every suite is a rental. Sure, I'd love to sell my rented suite. I'd assume the realtor has to pay per piece of mail. Maybe he could skip the 100+ fliers going to the apartment building.

I can't wait to get a letter from Hyundai, since we drive less than 10,000 km per year.  We're keeping that car until we switch to an RV in 10 or so years.

How many other buildings in your hood are rentals?  I'm not 100% familiar with postal rates but there's one rate for presorted bulk where each item is addressed to a specific address and another for 'just give this to everyone in the zip code'

If most of your area is owner occupied it's possible it was cheaper to send it to everyone.  </devil's advocate>  Probably just lazy though.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »

How many other buildings in your hood are rentals?  I'm not 100% familiar with postal rates but there's one rate for presorted bulk where each item is addressed to a specific address and another for 'just give this to everyone in the zip code'

If most of your area is owner occupied it's possible it was cheaper to send it to everyone.  </devil's advocate>  Probably just lazy though.

You're probably right. I have no idea how mail is priced out. However, it makes me think negatively about that realtor, if I was in the position to need one.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
took an older Chevy pick-up to the local dealer for some free recall work seven years ago. Bought the truck elsewhere and never spent a dime in the place, but.......These a-holes still send me the "We desperately NEED your (fourteen year old POS) truck, and will give you top dollar for it, as there are buyers on our waiting list". Same dealer had to relieve the entire management structure of their jobs, once the state AG's office started investigating their sales and lending practices. I'm sure the letter is legit. right?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
Acura does the same thing around here. Leasing a 2013, how about we put you in a 2014 for the same payment?

I'm also flabbergasted by the number of ads for the various Lexus dealers of the area. Is it really luxury you're selling when your ad is blasted on a country music station between a Toby Keith song and an ad for a personal injury lawyer?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
I drive a Honda, and I get those letters on a regular basis! 

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »
My Dad works for the dealership (where we haven't bought any of the vehicles we own now) and we still get their 'special offer' letters and junk mail.  But none of the letters that specifically mention a vehicle, are for any of the ones we actually still own (we briefly owned a 2007 Tacoma in 2012, and that's the 'in demand' vehicle).

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
What the hell!?!?  I've never gotten one of these.  Are 160K mile civics not in high demand?

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »

Uh, having a paid off car vs. years more of payments?

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
I thought of that too, but I thought that rejecting a new car altogether would have more shock value

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
What the hell!?!?  I've never gotten one of these.  Are 160K mile civics not in high demand?

Actually yes, but not by car dealerships.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
I get these all the time.  A few weeks back I got one from the dealer I had just taken my Silverado to for some warranty work.  They wanted to buy my 2008 Trailblazer SS because it was so in demand!

I bought the trailblazer from this dealer in 2008.  Sold it in 2011 for a Profit (well kinda), got a Sequoia for a year, sold that at a loss (because it was a piece of shit) and ended up with this Silverado instead.  So they wanted a vehicle I had... two vehicles prior.

Every once in a while I still get a notice for my Honda S2000.  I should have kept that one :(

perthcyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • perthcyclist blog
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
I'm glad car dealers here haven't started doing that here! Real estates most definitely do it here though. I think it is more worth sending this kind of junk for a house sale, a lot more money involved for them