Author Topic: Newest worst commercials on TV  (Read 49351 times)

Richard3

• Bristles
Re: Newest worst commercials on TV
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
Not on TV, but I just saw the following advertisement in the window of an upscale clothing store downtown: "Women look prettier shopping than running"

Technically true - people get all sweaty and make weird faces when they run.

However, women who run look prettier than women who shop. Obviously the two groups aren't mutually exclusive but my point is obvious.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2013, 02:41:11 AM »
That one Sears ad right now...with the two girls (20-somethings) who are going to a movie and park by Sears because "there's always parking"...and then get sidetracked and spend ALL DAY shopping instead, putting off the movie, until they leave with a gazillion items each and the words "well it will come out on DVD soon anyway."

Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of Sears execs.  If your biggest selling point is "our parking lot is always empty," then things aren't looking so hot.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »
That one Sears ad right now...with the two girls (20-somethings) who are going to a movie and park by Sears because "there's always parking"...and then get sidetracked and spend ALL DAY shopping instead, putting off the movie, until they leave with a gazillion items each and the words "well it will come out on DVD soon anyway."

Which to me says they didn't care that much about seeing the movie anyway, so they could have...
-baked cookies/tried a recipe
-given each other home mani/pedis
-gone for a walk/hike/bike ride
-rented another movie to watch at home (or Netflixed)
-done some crafts (maybe to sell on Etsy)
-about a million other things that would have cost them less than several hundred $$ each

I hate this one! Also, I think it starts off with the announcer saying something like, "Everyone knows there are great holiday deals around. What will surprise you is WHERE you find them....blah blah blah." This always makes me laugh because our local Sears is completely dead: empty shelves, broken light fixtures, hardly any employees and yet, not very good prices. If I found a holiday deal there, I would be completely shocked. So, yes, I guess they got that part right.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »

Which to me says they didn't care that much about seeing the movie anyway, so they could have...
-baked cookies/tried a recipe
-given each other home mani/pedis
-gone for a walk/hike/bike ride
-rented another movie to watch at home (or Netflixed)
-done some crafts (maybe to sell on Etsy)
-about a million other things that would have cost them less than several hundred $$ each

I hate this one! Also, I think it starts off with the announcer saying something like, "Everyone knows there are great holiday deals around. What will surprise you is WHERE you find them....blah blah blah." This always makes me laugh because our local Sears is completely dead: empty shelves, broken light fixtures, hardly any employees and yet, not very good prices. If I found a holiday deal there, I would be completely shocked. So, yes, I guess they got that part right.

Yea, I think that's a lot of them... http://www.alternet.org/economy/eddie-lampert-and-ayn-rand

Hulu played this ad at least 10 times last night during 2 episodes of Agents of SHIELD. Ugh.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
Not a TV ad, but a new business opened in a storefront in town.  "Puppies Plus" is the business name, and there's a big banner saying "Puppy Financing!"  That's jus sick on so many levels.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
Not a TV ad, but a new business opened in a storefront in town.  "Puppies Plus" is the business name, and there's a big banner saying "Puppy Financing!"  That's jus sick on so many levels.

Do they repo the puppy if you default on the loan?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
There's a place like that with that same banner in our local mall.  Makes me so angry, I just want to throttle people, fortunately I'm only in there very rarely.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »

But puppies depreciate so fast, would it even be worth it?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

But puppies depreciate so fast, would it even be worth it?

There is a place near here that does what is essentially pet "leasing."  You pay a monthly fee for the life of the pet and they send you food each month and supposedly will pay for all the "necessary veterinary care."  Which to me means if your pet needs expensive surgery, they do the most profitable thing for them, which would probably mean putting the animal down and you'd have no say in the matter.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2013, 06:25:37 AM »
I'm currently surrounded by TVs in very room of a house, most of which are on all the time. Just saw this gem:

(both talking to viewer)
Man: You could pay $5,000 for this bedroom set at other stores!
Woman: Who has $5,000?

I couldn't believe it...

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »
And then there is Credit Yes.   

"Need car financing?  Get the loan you need now to buy a car!"

http://youtu.be/eyflftprFdM

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I saw one this weekend that takes the cake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpzbJqkd9i8

Let's break it down:
  • An SUV being used purely for a commute. The ad shows nothing (realistic) that this car can do that can't be done just as easily with a smaller car.
  • At the beginning of the ad, note all the cyclists weaving through traffic and the elevated train above...
  • ...and finally, a totally unrealistic and stupid stunt where the car uses a ramp to jump on top of the train to get ahead. If you ignore this BS, the car has clearly been beaten in the ad by other modes of transportation.
To top it off, I had to think REALLY hard about what model the car was so I could find the ad and post it here. I knew it was a Nissan, but I couldn't remember anything else... so, not even that effective despite me consciously seeing it and commenting on it several times just two days ago.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »
I love the part where it says "Fantasy, do not attempt.  Cars cannot jump on trains."  I'd dare say I know a few boys in Hazzard County who have a thing or two to say about that....

My buddies and I have mocked this gem as well.  "Well, maybe cars can't jump on trains, but how lucky they found a stunt driver who was also smoking hot!"

And I agree, I have seen this commercial many times during the NFL playoffs and could not tell you if my life depended on it which model it was.  Well done Nissan Rogue, you perfect trainhopper you.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »
After pondering recent anti-Mustachian encounters, I think I understand the point of the ad a bit more now. Maybe this is where they were going...

Americans think that mid-size cars are more fun to drive than big ones, but that they don't fit more than two people in them (not sure what they think the back seats are for but I digress...) So the ad shows a big car that comfortably seats three adults (or was it four?) but also can "have some fun" on the road. Us rational people focus on the dumb stunt in the ad and miss the subtlety of putting three adults in a car, something that many Americans think is impossible to do without owning an SUV, extended cab pickup or minivan.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »
I love how that butt-ugly open heart (sounds surgical!)  jewelry line is like an inkblot  test. -  I think it looks like a reared -up cobra. It  might as well be  for  what it would do to our budget.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2014, 12:29:20 AM »
I saw one this weekend that takes the cake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpzbJqkd9i8

Let's break it down:
  • An SUV being used purely for a commute. The ad shows nothing (realistic) that this car can do that can't be done just as easily with a smaller car.
  • At the beginning of the ad, note all the cyclists weaving through traffic and the elevated train above...
  • ...and finally, a totally unrealistic and stupid stunt where the car uses a ramp to jump on top of the train to get ahead. If you ignore this BS, the car has clearly been beaten in the ad by other modes of transportation.
To top it off, I had to think REALLY hard about what model the car was so I could find the ad and post it here. I knew it was a Nissan, but I couldn't remember anything else... so, not even that effective despite me consciously seeing it and commenting on it several times just two days ago.

Wait, what city is that supposed to be in?

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2014, 08:14:38 AM »
At the very least we should give them credit for carpooling. 

I had a boss that would drive separately from his wife for their 45+ minute commute even though they worked in the same place.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
Ooh, I thought of one today  It's old and I can't remember the brand so I can't look it up.  It was when SUVs were a new thing for consumers.  In a regular car, a mother is driving and her kid is in the back.  As they go over an overpass, the kid is looking at the beige concrete wall.  Then you see them in an SUV and the child is looking out over the wall at this amazing landscape of green valley and rivers and hot air balloons, etc.

So, you should spend thousands of dollars more so that your kid has a better view for the .01% of roadway where this would make a difference.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2015, 11:46:01 PM »
Resurrecting this thread because, oddly enough, I just saw a commercial which was run last year as well.  It has some mustachian elements, but ultimately regresses to "you save money by buying more of our services" crap.

"I could cut my own hair." "Dad could rollerskate to work." "I could knit clothes for everyone." 

http://youtu.be/C9zzleZcuZY

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
I love how that butt-ugly open heart (sounds surgical!)  jewelry line is like an inkblot  test. -  I think it looks like a reared -up cobra. It  might as well be  for  what it would do to our budget.

It's clearly boobs and a butt.  I'll wait for the psychologist to discuss my results with me.

I am so glad my husband doesn't feel the need to waste money on jewelry for me.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »
So I originally heard about this while at my best friend's bachelor party.  We took a cab and the driver was talking about how her brother repos rims.  Like rims on a car... I had to ask about it.  So apparently you can rent rims for your car.  I thought buying big chrome rims for your car was about as stupid as one could get.  Nope!  You can RENT them.  People fail to make the payments so often they put GPS units in the rims(I assume powered by the spinning motion) and there are people who are employed just to repo the things.

Then I heard this commercial in my car the other day.

Man with soft voice, "I can't seem to get a girl."
Man with tough voice, "Well you don't seem like a dork.  Do you have a car?"
SV "Yes, and a job!"
TV "Well thats odd you can't get a girl.  What size rims do you have on this car?"
SV "I don't know, the ones it came with."
TV "Well thats what wrong!  You need BIG rims.  You know what BIG rims means right?  It means you have a BIG.... wallet!  Go down to RENT-A-RIM and rent you some BIG rims for your car so women know you have a BIG... wallet!"
SV "Thanks!  I'll go to RENT-A-RIM right now!"

TV "The more I think about it... you are a dork."

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:26:59 AM by Indexer »

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
There's a newish one for a Chevy truck (I believe)... starts off with a milquetoast-looking guy in a suit pulling up and parking in front of a big-city (looks like NYC to me, but could be any large city) building in a Honda sedan with something easy-listening-like playing, walks past street musicians playing the same fairly innocuous tune, and into an elevator with the same tune playing on the elevator music. Doors open and the guy walks out, nodding to a much more 'rugged' looking guy who is getting on the elevator- at which point the elevator music switches to a musak version of "Back in Black," he gets off the elevator and a woman notices him and watches him walk out, the street musicians are also playing "Back in Black," and he gets into a big, extended-cab Chevy truck and turns it on with the same song blaring and drives away.

The obvious intended 'message' being, "You're much more manly driving a Chevy truck instead of a wimpy Honda sedan," whereas I'm sitting there thinking (and saying to SWMBO), "What a dumbass for driving a huge pickup truck- alone- in a big city."

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
There's a newish one for a Chevy truck (I believe)... starts off with a milquetoast-looking guy in a suit pulling up and parking in front of a big-city (looks like NYC to me, but could be any large city) building in a Honda sedan with something easy-listening-like playing, walks past street musicians playing the same fairly innocuous tune, and into an elevator with the same tune playing on the elevator music. Doors open and the guy walks out, nodding to a much more 'rugged' looking guy who is getting on the elevator- at which point the elevator music switches to a musak version of "Back in Black," he gets off the elevator and a woman notices him and watches him walk out, the street musicians are also playing "Back in Black," and he gets into a big, extended-cab Chevy truck and turns it on with the same song blaring and drives away.

The obvious intended 'message' being, "You're much more manly driving a Chevy truck instead of a wimpy Honda sedan," whereas I'm sitting there thinking (and saying to SWMBO), "What a dumbass for driving a huge pickup truck- alone- in a big city."
Is it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0dQoAHG7oM
That's awful advertising.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »

It's clearly boobs and a butt.  I'll wait for the psychologist to discuss my results with me.

I am so glad my husband doesn't feel the need to waste money on jewelry for me.

In case you guys need it spelled out for you:

Buy this for your woman, get a BJ.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

Yup, that's the one. I generally loathe most car commercials anyway (Now you don't even have to pay attention to the road, your car will brake for you!) but this one annoyed me more than most. Usually truck commercials at least highlight using it like a truck...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2015, 06:02:34 AM »

Yup, that's the one. I generally loathe most car commercials anyway (Now you don't even have to pay attention to the road, your car will brake for you!) but this one annoyed me more than most. Usually truck commercials at least highlight using it like a truck...

The real irony, aside from the general evil of the ad, is that both guys look like milquetoast. Guess I'm just used to men who use trucks like trucks. Hell, I'm less milquetoast than the guy with the really shiny truck, and I'm an old lady. Oldish, anyway. Ladyish, I suppose, too, rather than ladylike. :-)

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »

The first song is "Rainy Days And Mondays", which just helps paint the contrast even better:  buy THIS CAR and you'll be a boring guy who has to go IN to work and suffer through Mondays and rainy days with no female attention, but buy THIS TRUCK and you can be cool and LEAVE work under the eyes of babes and drive off to AC/DC. 

So glad you mentioned this commercial--I rarely watch TV, but saw this one over the holidays and cringed, too, because why does THAT guy need a TRUCK?  Glad to know I have company there.

By the way:  I'd never heard the acronym SWMBO.  Thanks for the trip to Urban Dictionary, and the subsequent laugh!

zt

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2015, 09:57:45 AM »
By the way:  I'd never heard the acronym SWMBO.  Thanks for the trip to Urban Dictionary, and the subsequent laugh!

zt
Heh. It's the preferred way of referring to a girlfriend/spouse/partner on the car enthusiast forum I've been on for far longer than here, so it's what I default to. Amused me to the first time I saw it and looked it up. :P

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »

I have seen that 2 or 3 times and I really didn't understand what they were trying to say. I thought the message was something like "whatever your style, we have something for you..." I totally didn't get that one of them was supposed to be exciting in comparison....doh.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »
As idiotic as most truck commercials are, here's a series that rivals them: the ones with cool, enviable actor Rob Lowe with (DirecTV? guess it says something that I can't recall wtf they're advertising) vs. Various Loser Versions of Rob Lowe with cable.

Personally I think anyone whose self-worth depends how he watches TV has already cemented his loser status.

Lentils5eva

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »

Oh my god I HATE this commercial.  The Youtube description is also effing terrible.  "With one turn of a key, the 2015 Chevy Colorado will change you. When you're behind the wheel of Motor Trend’s 2015 Truck of the Year, you sit differently and you walk differently. And suddenly the world is different. The world is yours for the taking."  Not a shred of irony. 

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2015, 09:28:06 PM »
Most of these car commercials remind me of the Canyonero from the Simpsons.

TropicNebraska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
I nominate the buick commercial where the yuppie couple in their mcmansion is spying on their neighbors with binoculars, googling over their new buick crossover-thing. The wife moans and complains how lucky the other wife is. Keepin' up with the Joneses overkill.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »
H&R block.  We get you the biggest refund!

By the time you're ready to do your taxes, your 'refund' is basically set already.  The fact that there's billions of dollars worth of refunds means there's a lot of people who don't understand withholding, not that h&r block has expert magic tax powers.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »
Oh my god I HATE this commercial.  The Youtube description is also effing terrible.  "With one turn of a key, the 2015 Chevy Colorado will change you. When you're behind the wheel of Motor Trend’s 2015 Truck of the Year, you sit differently and you walk differently. And suddenly the world is different. The world is yours for the taking."  Not a shred of irony.

I came here to post this one, so I'm glad to see it was already covered.

I actually have to give it some sort of credit for its honesty. Most pickup truck ads show giant loads of gravel being dumped in the bed, driving it down some muddy dirt road, or towing a boat somewhere. All total bullshit that they know the vast majority of their target market will never actually do, but they're selling the dream just like the Marlboro Man once did. And hey, someone could potentially do those things with a truck, so those few people in Chevy marketing who still maintained the ability to feel shame were granted some plausible deniability by that thin veneer of truth.

This ad completely dispenses with that bullshit and simply admits "yeah, we know you're just going to drive this non-sensical vehicle around the city to your office job. But hey, women will look at you, and you can listen to AC/DC in it!"

"And shame? Shame is for pussies that drive Hondas!"

My favorite bit is how he's able to pull his 18-foot long truck out of a downtown parallel-parking spot with a single turn of the wheel, because if there's any place where a crew-cab pickup truck truly shows its mettle, it's in its ease of urban parallel parking!

themessenger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
I nominate the buick commercial where the yuppie couple in their mcmansion is spying on their neighbors with binoculars, googling over their new buick crossover-thing. The wife moans and complains how lucky the other wife is. Keepin' up with the Joneses overkill.

I hate this commercial so much.  I can usually ignore or laugh at how dumb many commercials are, but this one just infuriates me with that wife's snippy tone.